Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,787 members, 7,827,904 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:56 PM

As A Car Owner The Greatest Embarrassment That Can Happen To You - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / As A Car Owner The Greatest Embarrassment That Can Happen To You (20250 Views)

Car Maintenance: 5 Useful Tips Every Car Owner Should Know About / Advice needed on 1.5m budget for a first car owner / How To Check Car Owner By Number Plate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: As A Car Owner The Greatest Embarrassment That Can Happen To You by stasius: 3:57pm On Sep 15, 2023
It is good.

Let the world see you as poor.
OF course, you know you are rich. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: As A Car Owner The Greatest Embarrassment That Can Happen To You by buygala(m): 4:00pm On Sep 15, 2023
nams77:

What you mean is that due diligence should be paid to the suspension?
Ok

Yes.. Suspension can be iffy if not handled diligently
Re: As A Car Owner The Greatest Embarrassment That Can Happen To You by baba4thegehs: 4:10pm On Sep 15, 2023
Hmmm. The ealier you understand that nobody givvvess a ffffuu****k the better for you.

Think of a car as an additional layer of comfort you need, what anyone one thinks is none of my business, people typically would have different reasons for selling their cars, but the opinions of neighbors should be the least things I should be worried about.

Man know they self and what you stand for
Re: As A Car Owner The Greatest Embarrassment That Can Happen To You by Allisgud: 4:21pm On Sep 15, 2023
Embarrassment as a car owner is when ur car spoil in the middle of a busy junction with a babe in ur car u have been wooing for a month now ,and u are causing hold up,and every danfo drivers was shouting oga carry this carton comot from roadšŸ¤£šŸ¤£

1 Like

Re: As A Car Owner The Greatest Embarrassment That Can Happen To You by dman4mdmoon(m): 4:31pm On Sep 15, 2023
Abegi, not in this era of N580 per liter of fuel. I don't care who is observing or who thinking that I have sold my car. I only go to work with my car twice in a week now. No more unnecessary trips with car to visit or hang out with friends/guys. I do my hanging out within my neighborhood. If you ask me of my car, I will tell you fuel is expensive, it is at home.
Re: As A Car Owner The Greatest Embarrassment That Can Happen To You by stevedeey(m): 4:49pm On Sep 15, 2023
OffAir:
This is a jaundiced opinion

A person may sell their vehicle for variety of reasons.

And besides if he sell him car,shey na you buy the car for am

And life is about making priorities, if one realizes that at a stage ,a car is more of a liability than necessity or is willing to take the risk of using the funds from a vehicle sale to alleviate a pressing concern or fund an investment

Then by all means go ahead n sell your car . Live your life on your terms n not the illusion of yourself you want people to see.

I wonder.. People will talk nonetheless. You sell oh, you no sell o, you buy another one, you no buy o...dems go still yarn.
Re: As A Car Owner The Greatest Embarrassment That Can Happen To You by somehow: 4:50pm On Sep 15, 2023
KiNg0G:
your opinion
Read above your post

Does not change what it is.

When a man's value/worth is placed on a depreciative asset, then he's said to have a poor mindset.
Re: As A Car Owner The Greatest Embarrassment That Can Happen To You by tete7000(m): 4:56pm On Sep 15, 2023
DaddyCoool:

That's what Google is there for.
While at it, also find out the difference between tragic and embarrassing; between tragedy and embarrassment, and if they are synonymous

Mr. Academia I don't know how to use Google, you may help me out.
Re: As A Car Owner The Greatest Embarrassment That Can Happen To You by DaddyCoool: 5:00pm On Sep 15, 2023
tete7000:

Mr. Academia I don't know how to use Google, you may help me out.

Type the question into your browser and hit send
Re: As A Car Owner The Greatest Embarrassment That Can Happen To You by DaddyCoool: 5:04pm On Sep 15, 2023
stevedeey:

I wonder.. People will talk nonetheless. You sell oh, you no sell o, you buy another one, you no buy o...dems go still yarn.

OP is right. It is not a question of people talking, it is a question of how YOU will feel - with Keke or Okada dropping you off in full glare of your neighbors, your car no where to be seen!
Re: As A Car Owner The Greatest Embarrassment That Can Happen To You by DaddyCoool: 5:09pm On Sep 15, 2023
OffAir:
This is a jaundiced opinion

A person may sell their vehicle for variety of reasons.

And besides if he sell him car,shey na you buy the car for am

And life is about making priorities, if one realizes that at a stage ,a car is more of a liability than necessity or is willing to take the risk of using the funds from a vehicle sale to alleviate a pressing concern or fund an investment

Then by all means go ahead n sell your car . Live your life on your terms n not the illusion of yourself you want people to see.

You're being dishonest. There are MANY things we do solely because of people, including dressing a certain way, not picking our nose when we want to, scratching our ass, etc
Re: As A Car Owner The Greatest Embarrassment That Can Happen To You by tete7000(m): 5:20pm On Sep 15, 2023
DaddyCoool:

Type the question into your browser and hit send

I want to ask you a simple question Mr all-know, supposing you went out of your way, got desperate to get a car and the car end up getting you crippled, won't you feel regret, ashamed and embarrassed?

And how is tragic and embarrassment related?
Re: As A Car Owner The Greatest Embarrassment That Can Happen To You by DaddyCoool: 5:38pm On Sep 15, 2023
tete7000:

I want to ask you a simple question Mr all-know, supposing you went out of your way, got desperate to get a car and the car end up getting you crippled, won't you feel regret, ashamed and embarrassed?

And how is tragic and embarrassment related?

YOU are the "all-know". Someone called your attention to an error you made, and ego won't let you move on.
It is tragic to have an accident not embarrassing. There is nothing embarrassing about having an accident, unless you previously boasted you'll never have an accident! See the difference?
Take care
Re: As A Car Owner The Greatest Embarrassment That Can Happen To You by Alexprech: 6:08pm On Sep 15, 2023
Me I dey pray to own a car...it will save me some stress
Re: As A Car Owner The Greatest Embarrassment That Can Happen To You by smasher1(m): 6:17pm On Sep 15, 2023
KiNg0G:
The greatest embarrassment that can happen to a man is when he sells his car.

I always advise people if you know you're not financially buoyant triple don't buy a car because once you do, you've automatically purchased a NEW IDENTITY.

All eyes are on, you respect coming from different directions young and old, family members, church members and even neighbors but sell that same car you are reduced to a BEGGAR in their eyes.

Even if you don't drive that car regularly, maybe due to repairs or fuel increase as seen recently, your poor status becomes obvious and respectability diminishes.
Re: As A Car Owner The Greatest Embarrassment That Can Happen To You by SweetDipBenny(m): 6:18pm On Sep 15, 2023
Sold my car since last year, thinking by now I'll be outside country. I've been denied visa twice already. Since then na legšŸ¦µthings o.. i get so embarrassed walkin on my street..
Re: As A Car Owner The Greatest Embarrassment That Can Happen To You by smasher1(m): 6:19pm On Sep 15, 2023
FILEBE:
People will always profile you base on what you have . The media world isn't helping matters. All we sing and talk about is how to drive exotic cars or own a car. Unfortunately, that's Nigeria for you. Basic amenities has become a luxury. Some of us grew up yo consider gas cooker as luxury, tap water as luxury, living in storey buildings as luxury, same with owning a car and many more like that. You will agree with me that people who live in advance countries don't consider owning a car a big deal as we think.

See, everything depends on your state of mind. If you care about what people say then you are a slave to the people. Just be responsible for whatever actions you take. It also depends on your circle of friends . We have had friends sold there cars and we never even felt it or look down at them. One of the friend uses my car often and I don't even for once thought he has become poor or something. Him sef no care

Reminds me when my car overheated on the road due to a leaking radiator. It wouldn't start. It was along the main road. Area boys came and asked to collect money, they wouldn't let me push the car . Ended up negotiating 6k. Towing vehicle came almost immediately and fought that they most tow the vehicle as It is obstructing traffic . Those one sef na tout. We towed the vehicle, at every junctions , touts wey coming to collect money at almost all routes till I got to my mechanics place.

See ehn, Lagos and the power they have given to touts no be here .

This can likely only happen in Lagos and very few other places in Nigeria. Welcome to Lagos!
Re: As A Car Owner The Greatest Embarrassment That Can Happen To You by tete7000(m): 6:38pm On Sep 15, 2023
DaddyCoool:

YOU are the "all-know". Someone called your attention to an error you made, and ego won't let you move on.
It is tragic to have an accident not embarrassing. There is nothing embarrassing about having an accident, unless you previously boasted you'll never have an accident! See the difference?
Take care

You don't need to call my attention to anything, I don't need it from you. What you call embarrassing can be subjective and I don't need to see life the way you see it. For me it is an embarrassment as much it can be a tragic event to use my resources to get something that brings harm to me. I find it embarrassing to use my hand to bring harm to myself. Thank you and next time learn how to draw people's attention, especially those you don't know to your point. Your approach reeks of arrogance and ego.
You are telling me to use Google, I probably might have been speaking and writing this English before you were born. That's a foolish and insulting way of correcting someone assuming you are right, not to talk of when you don't understand the subject matter.
Re: As A Car Owner The Greatest Embarrassment That Can Happen To You by paix(m): 7:12pm On Sep 15, 2023
1.......Your fuel tank to go empty with your mother in-law in the car.
2...... Your car battery to go flat in the rainy season, as you're preparing for church.
Re: As A Car Owner The Greatest Embarrassment That Can Happen To You by DaddyCoool: 7:26pm On Sep 15, 2023
tete7000:

You don't need to call my attention to anything, I don't need it from you. What you call embarrassing can be subjective and I don't need to see life the way you see it. For me it is an embarrassment as much it can be a tragic event to use my resources to get something that brings harm to me. I find it embarrassing to use my hand to bring harm to myself. Thank you and next time learn how to draw people's attention, especially those you don't know to your point. Your approach reeks of arrogance and ego.
You are telling me to use Google, I probably might have been speaking and writing this English before you were born. That's a foolish and insulting way of correcting someone assuming you are right, not to talk of when you don't understand the subject matter.

Well, you then have to invent your own language. Standard English does not associate car accidents with embarrassment unless there is modifying elements (example, the person previously boasting).
I only mentioned Google after you gor smart!
Re: As A Car Owner The Greatest Embarrassment That Can Happen To You by Sleekfingers: 7:42pm On Sep 15, 2023
What an idiotic reasoning.
Re: As A Car Owner The Greatest Embarrassment That Can Happen To You by blackgold2018(m): 8:15pm On Sep 15, 2023
FILEBE:
People will always profile you base on what you have . The media world isn't helping matters. All we sing and talk about is how to drive exotic cars or own a car. Unfortunately, that's Nigeria for you. Basic amenities has become a luxury. Some of us grew up yo consider gas cooker as luxury, tap water as luxury, living in storey buildings as luxury, same with owning a car and many more like that. You will agree with me that people who live in advance countries don't consider owning a car a big deal as we think.

See, everything depends on your state of mind. If you care about what people say then you are a slave to the people. Just be responsible for whatever actions you take. It also depends on your circle of friends . We have had friends sold there cars and we never even felt it or look down at them. One of the friend uses my car often and I don't even for once thought he has become poor or something. Him sef no care

Reminds me when my car overheated on the road due to a leaking radiator. It wouldn't start. It was along the main road. Area boys came and asked to collect money, they wouldn't let me push the car . Ended up negotiating 6k. Towing vehicle came almost immediately and fought that they most tow the vehicle as It is obstructing traffic . Those one sef na tout. We towed the vehicle, at every junctions , touts wey coming to collect money at almost all routes till I got to my mechanics place.

See ehn, Lagos and the power they have given to touts no be here .
how much did you tow your car?? And what distance?

Omo those towing vehicle criminals at 3rd mainland bridge collected 20k from me just from the bridge to Lekki phase1

My car did overheating too. Due to radiator linkage
Re: As A Car Owner The Greatest Embarrassment That Can Happen To You by blackgold2018(m): 8:23pm On Sep 15, 2023
GanagiBitrus:
Unless you are using your car for commercial purpose, it is more of a Liability than an Asset.

So go ahead and sell it if you can no longer maintain it, or if you have a viable business to invest the proceeds in.
you right.

My own car is my asset on Uber online hauling.

Sometimes I get angry seeing some car owners(having Uber required cars) that are managing to eat.
A lot of them fools feel to big to use their car for Uber.
Re: As A Car Owner The Greatest Embarrassment That Can Happen To You by blackgold2018(m): 8:30pm On Sep 15, 2023
stasius:
It is good.

Let the world see you as poor.
OF course, you know you are rich. grin grin grin grin grin
thatā€™s exactly the life I wanna live. A low key life.

Itā€™s better for me for people to see me as poor. When you are rich.

I know of a friend that his late dad has like 3 house properties. But still live as if he has nothing. Thatā€™s an asset. If him and his brothers decide to sell those properties, he would get nothing less than 100mil from it. Now letā€™s say heā€™s worth that amount. Like a net worth.

But he will see some fools with no asset but probably small change in the bank feeling like Demi-gods in Lagos

1 Like

Re: As A Car Owner The Greatest Embarrassment That Can Happen To You by FILEBE(m): 8:56pm On Sep 15, 2023
blackgold2018:
how much did you tow your car?? And what distance?

Omo those towing vehicle criminals at 3rd mainland bridge collected 20k from me just from the bridge to Lekki phase1

My car did overheating too. Due to radiator linkage

I paid over that o. From Maryland to surulere . Had to beg for 35k
Re: As A Car Owner The Greatest Embarrassment That Can Happen To You by HenryWilliams(m): 9:04pm On Sep 15, 2023
victorVIC1:
Hahaha. I can personally relate with this topic. I just sold my car as I'm about to relocate. For the past one week, the neighbours have been asking what's up with my car. I just dey code them say e dey with mechanic.

They will understand with time

You will understand in time as well
Re: As A Car Owner The Greatest Embarrassment That Can Happen To You by GanagiBitrus: 9:13pm On Sep 15, 2023
blackgold2018:
you right.

My own car is my asset on Uber online hauling.

Sometimes I get angry seeing some car owners(having Uber required cars) that are managing to eat.
A lot of them fools feel to big to use their car for Uber.
šŸ‘
Re: As A Car Owner The Greatest Embarrassment That Can Happen To You by victorVIC1(m): 9:35pm On Sep 15, 2023
HenryWilliams:

You will understand in time as well
Shouldn't be a concern to you

1 Like

Re: As A Car Owner The Greatest Embarrassment That Can Happen To You by blackgold2018(m): 9:44pm On Sep 15, 2023
FILEBE:

I paid over that o. From Maryland to surulere . Had to beg for 35k
kai!!

But why are they heartless on those towing amount. The 20k sef was until abeg and weepingšŸ¤£

Even dou you decide to push it out of the road. Road safety will tow it for youšŸ¤£šŸ¤£ by force. And theirs will be twice2charges
Re: As A Car Owner The Greatest Embarrassment That Can Happen To You by okoroemeka(m): 10:31pm On Sep 15, 2023
KiNg0G:
The greatest embarrassment that can happen to a man is when he sells his car.

I always advise people if you know you're not financially buoyant triple don't buy a car because once you do, you've automatically purchased a NEW IDENTITY.

All eyes are on, you respect coming from different directions young and old, family members, church members and even neighbors but sell that same car you are reduced to a BEGGAR in their eyes.
this is your own personal opinion which I disagree,it is people that are too attached and proud that they have a car that will be ashamed of selling it,my close neighbor at a village in imo state were we have a farm came back from abroad from ukraine with a nice Honda but he sold it and got a bike,is he ashamed or embarrassed?this guy has built a mega 5star hotel,massive piggery farm,pure water factory,sand and chippings haulage trucks,rental services and currently working on a yogurt factory all in his village,from all the investment made in two years since he settled in his villsge I can estimate his net value to be in excess of #200+ million naira but he rides a kymco motorcycle.

1 Like

Re: As A Car Owner The Greatest Embarrassment That Can Happen To You by FILEBE(m): 10:48pm On Sep 15, 2023
blackgold2018:
kai!!

But why are they heartless on those towing amount. The 20k sef was until abeg and weepingšŸ¤£

Even dou you decide to push it out of the road. Road safety will tow it for youšŸ¤£šŸ¤£ by force. And theirs will be twice2charges

It is by force towing o. I didn't call him
Re: As A Car Owner The Greatest Embarrassment That Can Happen To You by blackgold2018(m): 10:54pm On Sep 15, 2023
FILEBE:

It is by force towing o. I didn't call him
šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Mine was that someone at the bridge advised me to let him tow my car, because if I let him go he will alert the road safety officers ahead to do the towing themselves

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What's The Most Reliable Car You've Ever Owned? / What Does It Mean To Have ā€œmansoryā€ Attached To The Name Of A Car? / 6 Strong Reasons Why You Should Consider Buying A Dashboard Camera

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.