Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,492 members, 7,819,803 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:51 PM

Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG (36003 Views)

"Report To Work Unfailingly": TUC Tells Members, Opts Out Of Nationwide Protest / Economic Hardship: Begin Importation Of Food - TUC Tells FG / Subsidy Removal: Revert To Status Quo – TUC Tells FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by naturefellow(m): 11:01pm On Jun 05, 2023
sonature1:
I think they should be pushing for 100k per month minimum wage. 200k per month is too much. Do they want the government to spend 90% of federal earnings paying salaries?
what is too much is the salary of your lawmakers.
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by GambaOsaka: 11:04pm On Jun 05, 2023
Savechild23:

Baba, check when South Africa did theirs, it was above 100%. Nigeria has been spending trillions to people who are rich already while neglecting their workers. No transport scheme, no electricity to grow micro economy no access to medical and increasing minimum wage is the only way to close the gap. Youths with potentials won’t be traveling abroad. Education will mean a lot. Crime will atop

You are 100% correct , but if you are president, what are you going to do ? Raise minimum wage from 30k to 200k ?

1 Like

Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by donhils: 11:20pm On Jun 05, 2023
I don't understand, so if they remove fuel subsidy and increase minimum wage by such high margins, what does it mean? Non salary earners will suffer the subsidy removal for nothing? It makes no logical sense
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by Johnn74: 11:23pm On Jun 05, 2023
Government over to you!

Final negotiation should be nothing less than 60k ~$86 range ($1=700range) in these hard economic times and renewed suffering.
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by ThiefnubuBandit(f): 11:28pm On Jun 05, 2023
Blue3k:
Lol please do. It will be hilarious watching the mass sacking.

Chronic ignoramus
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by bentenny(m): 11:29pm On Jun 05, 2023
Penguin2:
Maybe 200k is a little too high.

For me, realistically, minimum wage should be non-negotiably 150k.
Yeah but I believe TUC placed it there hoping when negotiations begin,it will likely get to the region of 120k to 150k
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by Enice(m): 11:35pm On Jun 05, 2023
Cholls:
my brother you be werey shut up. No amount is small for a Nigerian to demand from his government. Poverty have destroyed your mindset
You're not an entrepreneur that's why you can talk rubbish. If you were, you'll know what it takes to pay salary. Rubbish and ingredient

1 Like

Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by mechanics(m): 11:38pm On Jun 05, 2023
kcnwaigbo:
I am disappointed with TUC.I was expecting N500,000
hahahahah
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by Savechild23: 11:39pm On Jun 05, 2023
GambaOsaka:

You are 100% correct , but if you are president, what are you going to do ? Raise minimum wage from 30k to 200k ?

Sir, if u know what federal and state staffers are passing through, u will know that increasing minimum wage by 200% ain’t much. We have revenue which runs in surplus but few cabals are feasting on it plus poor management.
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by Blitzking: 11:45pm On Jun 05, 2023
Funny thing is give some ppl this 200k na that time dem go dey born like fowl
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by sreamsense: 11:46pm On Jun 05, 2023
Lazy workers! If you want to be rich like Dangote, you better leave government work. No employer can ever make you rich, employer can only give you money to feed your family; if you want to become rich, you must work it out yourself. Even N30k , many states can not still pay without owing. So, all money recover from subsidy should go for paying salary. What is the essence?
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by kaywhy09(m): 11:52pm On Jun 05, 2023
Lol
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by crossbreedwears(m): 12:02am On Jun 06, 2023
We should always talk with reality. FG cannot afford 200k as minimum wage oga rather the FG should tackle inflation and exchange rate. That is the only way we can move forward
Cholls:
my brother you be werey shut up. No amount is small for a Nigerian to demand from his government. Poverty have destroyed your mindset

2 Likes

Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by MasterTeeUSA: 12:05am On Jun 06, 2023
I am not sure TUC Union Leaders went to school..minimum wage means the pay of Non Academic Staff like cleaners will start at N200k. They are not serious at all...

1. Pay should increase from N30k to N100k
2. After 2yrs...revise based on income from deregulation and taxes or come up with other source of revenues
3. That will allow us to pay the debt and service the rest.
4. Invest in cheaper mass transits and rail networks....free for workers or buy tickets at reduced rates.
5. Continue housing schemes and credit...

- If Labour truly focuses on welfare, they can work well with the Govt...what I see here is Ego and unrealistic expectations...how will State Govt fund this and the retirement and pension that will follow. Ridiculous

Ofunaofu:

https://dailypost.ng/2023/06/05/subsidy-removal-crisis-increase-workers-minimum-wage-to-n200000-tuc-tells-fg/
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by stampo: 12:19am On Jun 06, 2023
This country is overdue for proper FUMIGATION.

Let everybody in NIGERIA come out of the country so it can be fumigated properly bfor we all come back inside again....

D county don smellllll already
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by wealthyvic1: 12:37am On Jun 06, 2023
Bringbackmandat:
If a senator is earning 37million, I don't see any reason why poor Nigerians workers should be collecting less than 200k a month.

GOD BLESS YOU
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by rickleye: 1:19am On Jun 06, 2023
See inflation . You have no idea what you are asking for . You think oil prices are going up . Cost of living will increase as well .
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by rickleye: 1:22am On Jun 06, 2023
crossbreedwears:
We should always talk with reality. FG cannot afford 200k as minimum wage oga rather the FG should tackle inflation and exchange rate. That is the only way we can move forward

The guy you responded to has no idea what he’s talking about if a cleaner is getting 200k don’t you think teachers ,’doctors will not ask for the same rate increase. Tackle inflation and raise Gdp

1 Like

Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by bentenny(m): 1:26am On Jun 06, 2023
solmusdesigns:
Civil Servants and Politicians should simply be sharing the Crude Oil revenue among themselves while other Nigerian pay

Dey play
U think civil servants don't pay taxes like you?
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by bentenny(m): 1:37am On Jun 06, 2023
sunboy:
200k is quite unrealistic. We need to remember that minimum wage is the lowest any employer of Labour should pay an employee and this includes public/private.

By implication, that means that a POS attendant, a janitor, restaurant server must be paid Atleast that minimum?

Yes it will drive up inflation, but how will a private employer afford that?

How do you raise from 30-200k without a corresponding boost in the consumer behavior ?
Or without a Corresponding boost in the economy

I’d expect something between 50-80k realistically as a minimum wage. And a considerable tax holiday for people making less then 250k/month.
If you read the demands TUC was making,it covers all you have said esp the tax holiday part!
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by sunboy(m): 1:39am On Jun 06, 2023
bentenny:

If you read the demands TUC was making,it covers all you have said esp the tax holiday part!

Yes I read it, my emphasis is about the unrealistic 200k
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by bentenny(m): 1:43am On Jun 06, 2023
amodu:

Reduction in cost of governance should have been their major demand
Its boldly written in their demands!
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by bentenny(m): 1:49am On Jun 06, 2023
sunboy:

Yes I read it, my emphasis is about the unrealistic 200k
Its an amount that can be negotiated!
That's the mistake the former NLC president made... He should have made it a 100k so that the bargain will be at most 50k
With the 200k,FG and organized labour will likely reach an agreement in a range of 100k-120k!
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by sunboy(m): 1:52am On Jun 06, 2023
bentenny:

Its an amount that can be negotiated!
That's the mistake the former NLC president made... He should have made it a 100k so that the bargain will be at most 50k
With the 200k,FG and organized labour will likely reach an agreement in a range of 100k-120k!

Again, I never said it cannot be negotiated. The FG on its own planned it review, but is even 100k is not realistic. SME's cannot afford to pay their cleaners or servers 100-120k.
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by KayyDee: 2:07am On Jun 06, 2023
sonature1:
I think they should be pushing for 100k per month minimum wage. 200k per month is too much. Do they want the government to spend 90% of federal earnings paying salaries?

First of all, the government won't even likely accept to pay up to that 100k.

From all indication, it seems the govt is negotiating in bad faith already.

If only you understand how inflation really works, you'll know that for most city dwellers, 100k will likely be worth next to nothing, when subsidy is really gone for at least 3 straight months.

The kind of suffering that will be felt by many, can never be placated by any kind of infrastructure the govt may use the money for.

Dubai is very beautiful with all the infrastructures.
However, if you live in Dubai, and are very poor, you'll then realize that those beautiful structures makes no sense to you, because all you really need is food for survival and shelter.

The correct thing that the govt would have done, is to:

1) This time around, correctly tighten the borders and avoid subsidy frauds. It's doable. It's just the political will.

They could save up to 30% or more of subsidy money from that alone (which is huge)

2) Then , negociate with labour (in good faith)
...and agree to move minimum wage to about 75k per month at this time for federal and richer states, then around 60k for other states.

(So both federal and most state and private companies can afford it)

In fact, minimum wage should be decentralized now, but still determined by federal govt.

For instance, states like Akwaibom, Lagos, Ogun, Rivers, can pay same as federal, while others can pay 60k.

3) Then remove just 30 percent subsidy for now.

4) keep working on bringing food costs down, by truly helping farmers aggressively with funds and necessary subsidies, and if it works well, in the next two to three years, they may remove another 30% of the subsidy.

And people will not feel it as much.
Then there could be a slight increase in minimum wage.

So, indeed, there's really no need to rush oneself to destruction.

Subsidy removal can be done in a very civilized and staggered manner with no big rancours.

Indeed more than 80% of people supporting this 100% fuel subsidy removal do not know the kind of incredible hardship it can cause them and their loved ones.

They are just joining politicians and their paid trumpeters to design their own fate.

Remember most of this people are rich and typically have huge allowances they can turn to.

But as it is now, even if minimum wage is taken to 150k, that will just be federal and some richer states.

Most companies won't be able to afford to pay that.

Some of those companies will have to sack some staff.

And if a staff chose to still earn less than the minimum wage rather than getting sacked, life will be soooo difficult for the person most likely.

People must know that we are not yet seeing the true negative effects of subsidy removal.

Just go and check out most of these countries that do not run Petro subsidy, see what theur minimum wages are, and you'll get a sense of what will happen to Nigerians if our own minimum wage does not come to at least 25% of those people's own..

Just wait two to three months,
prices of most basic items will steadily climb from 20% to 50% to 100%... House rent, shop rent, food stuff and almost everything will be hugely affected.
...Some may even climb much more.

I really wish they won't, but wishes don't solve it.

The worst is that it's very most likely that you won't even see much positive effect on the economy.

Already, the federal govt borrows heavily, and it's no longer sustainable.

If they successfully enforced this subsidy removal, it will most likely only help them to reduce borrowing...and maybe some marginal increase in edu and health budget, if at all (but I sincerely hope edu and health gets more)

In summary.

Subsidy is not necessarily bad.
It's the way our leader have managed it poorly and allowed corruption to dominate it.

If they want, they can close out that corruption.

Then strive to make more money from other sectors like maritime and agric exports in medium term, and use it to Improve their revenue for budget spending.

I come in peace.

2 Likes

Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by bentenny(m): 2:16am On Jun 06, 2023
sunboy:

Again, I never said it cannot be negotiated. The FG on its own planned it review, but is even 100k is not realistic. SME's cannot afford to pay their cleaners or servers 100-120k.
You still do not understand the humongous effect that this subsidy removal is causing!
Just yesterday night,I gathered 5k that I normally use to buy 25litres of PMS to buy less than 10 litres!
Now imagine those who cannot even afford it?
Imagine SMEs that would be struggling to afford such expenses every day just to survive!
Transport cost have doubled!
The 100k you are mentioning,inflation has already halved that money!
If not for sympathy,the right amount that should have been given to workers should be in the region of 200k-300k esp when you break down that money and start taking out food expenses, utilities, transport cost etc!
The least that TUC will eventually agree on will be 100k or nothing!
No be their fault say FG refused to build or repair the refineries!
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by grandstar(m): 2:23am On Jun 06, 2023
This will just fuel runaway inflation. It is dumb,

It is obviously a negotiation. However, at the end of the day, what they'll want is something unrealistic.

Increase is minimum wage is usually followed by inflation, defeating the very purpose of the increase

2 Likes

Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by OGHENAOGIE(m): 2:24am On Jun 06, 2023
sonature1:
100k isn't realistic self except we just want to deceive ourselves...
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by Sheggy13(m): 2:26am On Jun 06, 2023
Isn't it obvious these guys have an agenda already, with these ridiculous demands they are making in a country where almost all earnings are used to service debts and many state governments are yet to comply with even the current 30k monthly minimum wage, owing months.

1 Like

Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by OGHENAOGIE(m): 2:35am On Jun 06, 2023
Penguin2:

We function only by reason and objectivity right here.

We are not like you people who would see white and call it black just to spite Obi.
Ina node reason pass Obi that won't be president... Even 100k is unrealistic... It shows tuc want to chase shadows...
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by lexy2014: 2:39am On Jun 06, 2023
Bringbackmandat:
ordinary Ghana without fuel is paying 75k as minimum wage. But our big for nothing country is hardly paying 30k.

That is because the work meant for one person is given to 6 or 7 people and the salary is shared among them. Many civil servants are redundant doing practically nothing but collecting free salary. If all those people are weeded out, then it's possible to pay 100k and above. You can't pay 7 people 75k for doing the same job or in some cases doing nothing
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by lexy2014: 2:42am On Jun 06, 2023
Sheggy13:
Isn't it obvious these guys have an agenda already, with these ridiculous demands they are making in a country where almost all earnings are used to service debts and many state governments are yet to comply with even the current 30k monthly minimum wage, owing months.

But have the salaries, the flashy cars, convoys, foreign trips, estacodes, money to share etc for politicians stopped due debt servicing?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Osinbajo To Act As President For 10 Days- Buhari / APC Concedes Defeat, Congratulates Obaseki, Admits Edo Election Free, Fair / 2023 Presidency: Osinbajo Leads 30 Others In ThisDay Poll (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.