Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,113 members, 7,828,968 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:41 PM

Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG (36032 Views)

"Report To Work Unfailingly": TUC Tells Members, Opts Out Of Nationwide Protest / Economic Hardship: Begin Importation Of Food - TUC Tells FG / Subsidy Removal: Revert To Status Quo – TUC Tells FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by clinician2x: 2:49am On Jun 06, 2023
Acekidc4:
That Amount for now is too Outrageous!! President Tinubu should Triple the Minimum wage or better still Let's settle for #100,000 Minimum wage for now. That's the Best Thing to Do.

Senators salary and min wage is not outrageous. It is the salary they will pay you. You be idiot.

Poor people supporting anti-people policies.
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by sunboy(m): 3:12am On Jun 06, 2023
bentenny:

You still do not understand the humongous effect that this subsidy removal is causing!
Just yesterday night,I gathered 5k that I normally use to buy 25litres of PMS to buy less than 10 litres!
Now imagine those who cannot even afford it?
Imagine SMEs that would be struggling to afford such expenses every day just to survive!
Transport cost have doubled!
The 100k you are mentioning,inflation has already halved that money!
If not for sympathy,the right amount that should have been given to workers should be in the region of 200k-300k esp when you break down that money and start taking out food expenses, utilities, transport cost etc!
The least that TUC will eventually agree on will be 100k or nothing!
No be their fault say FG refused to build or repair the refineries!

I hear you, quote me again if they get above 100k! Until stay safe out there.

And all your long analysis, not of it mentioned the impact of sudden rise in purchasing power... like I said, until then.
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by Blue3k(m): 3:32am On Jun 06, 2023
ThiefnubuBandit:

Chronic ignoramus

Lol you're right wages and employment have no correlation. Lol go to 500k or 1M just because.

1 Like

Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by grandstar(m): 3:35am On Jun 06, 2023
Bringbackmandat:
ordinary Ghana without fuel is paying 75k as minimum wage. But our big for nothing country is hardly paying 30k.

In 2007, $1- 1 cedi
IN 2023, $1- 11.25 Cedi

That's why Ghana consistently has high budget deficits and a persistently weakening Cedi

If the Naira performed as woefully as the Cedi, $1- 120 in 2007 would have been 1,350

The Naira would never have gone below 420 but Buhari's government was so incompetent that it made GEJ so good.

2 Likes

Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by IdJack(m): 4:04am On Jun 06, 2023
I love this
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by HRMK: 4:12am On Jun 06, 2023
Ofunaofu:

https://dailypost.ng/2023/06/05/subsidy-removal-crisis-increase-workers-minimum-wage-to-n200000-tuc-tells-fg/
OBVIOUSLY THESE SO CALLED LABOUR UNIONS ARE PACK OF FOOLS!HAS SALARY INCREMENT EVER SOLVED ANYTHING IN THE COUNTRY?
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by crossbreedwears(m): 4:13am On Jun 06, 2023
That's the truth bro. If FG can succeed tackling inflation and raise GDP, 30k would be more than enough to feed a family because by that time, a bag of rice wont be more than 7k
rickleye:

The guy you responded to has no idea what he’s talking about if a cleaner is getting 200k don’t you think teachers ,’doctors will not ask for the same rate increase. Tackle inflation and raise Gdp

1 Like

Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by benqo01(m): 4:21am On Jun 06, 2023
200k is still small see y'all saying it is too much don't know what u re saying,see if not for wastage, corruption and bad governance an average nigeria is suppose to be earning more than 200k with d resources we have coupled with effective government in place

If a country were dey don't even have a quarter of our resources can be earning more than 200k a month then why shouldn't we be earning more than them if possible.

Nigeria is just too rich to be poor,if all things re to be alright den it shouldnt for once be a problem
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by benqo01(m): 4:33am On Jun 06, 2023
elyte:
No. Nigeria is not rich. The country is broke and cant afford such demand.

😂😂 So u will tell someone Nigeria is broke it is one of d dumbest excuse i hate to hear u mean s country full of resources is broke? Talk tu ur govt to stop stealing our money and project effective governance
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by Billygee2u: 4:36am On Jun 06, 2023
sonature1:
I think they should be pushing for 100k per month minimum wage. 200k per month is too much. Do they want the government to spend 90% of federal earnings paying salaries?
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by Minime10(f): 5:09am On Jun 06, 2023
The way some people dey argue sef !
Na only workers for dis kontry dey buy things from market
Every argument has always been for the civil servants (workers) who are already gainfully employed by the government.
What happen to the unemployed
Who make arguments for them, no one.
Nobody talks about the survival of the unemployed in a country that offers them no opportunity to survive.
Not as though I'm against the enhancement of workers welfare, no, far from it, but no one seems to care about how the unemployed populace will survived in a harsh and unfriendly environment like Nigeria .
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by Nvestor02: 5:18am On Jun 06, 2023
Minime10:
The way some people dey argue sef !
Na only workers for dis kontry dey buy things from market
Every argument has always been for the civil servants (workers) who are already gainfully employed by the government.
What happen to the unemployed
Who make arguments for them, no one.
Nobody talks about the survival of the unemployed in a country that offers them no opportunity to survive.
Not as though I'm against the enhancement of workers welfare, no, far from it, but no one seems to care about how the unemployed populace will survived in a harsh and unfriendly environment like Nigeria .

No matter who you are, Minimum wage will surely have impact in you. The people that are unemployed and doing nothing as side business will find it hard to survive.

In as much you are doing a business or have a small way of getting money, the minimum wage will have good impact on you.

The high cost of fuel will make you Increase the price of what you are selling and people Civil servant or people that civil servant has spend money too will be able to buy too.
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by Opeyemi580: 5:21am On Jun 06, 2023
200k on the table is fine, knowing fully well FG will bargain from 200k to about 100k
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by Wisebird22(m): 5:34am On Jun 06, 2023
Place all political office holders on minimum wage and see how this country will work perfectly..make politics unattractive and the country will work out just fine.
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by FireUpNow(m): 5:44am On Jun 06, 2023
For some State governors to pay minimum wage of 30k na war now we will have total confusion.
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by Evaloyal2J(f): 5:46am On Jun 06, 2023
olaniyilukman:
Bro, let be realistic in our analysis, it is not only government workers that are in Nigeria, there are artisans, businessmen, people working in private sector, what will be their fate, there are so many individuals in Nigeria are earning less than minimum wage in this Nigeria self, they should pressurized the government to ensure that our money is valuable and its purchasing power increase drastically....
The numerous loans taken by this govt came with condition, continues devaluation of naira. The central bank keep doing this. Even though they come out to deny sometimes when they do. Unfortunately, the poor man is the one bearing the brunt because like you said, they earn less than the minimum wage
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by Dumte(m): 5:52am On Jun 06, 2023
Make I bend if Shettima go agree
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by Image123(m): 5:56am On Jun 06, 2023
Unreasonable demands are not what we need. We need cuts in cost of governance. Do this people think about others at all. Do you know how many millions of people are not working for FG? Can state governments even afford the current 30k by FG? What about private businesses and schools that owe months of salary despite paying 10k, 15k? If basic minimum wage for FG is 200k, how much do you think Senate, ministers, presidency will be paid? Jokers.
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by Hotwest: 5:57am On Jun 06, 2023
Means some companies go gats dey pay me like 2 million monthly
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by Image123(m): 6:05am On Jun 06, 2023
bentenny:

You still do not understand the humongous effect that this subsidy removal is causing!
Just yesterday night,I gathered 5k that I normally use to buy 25litres of PMS to buy less than 10 litres!
Now imagine those who cannot even afford it?
Imagine SMEs that would be struggling to afford such expenses every day just to survive!
Transport cost have doubled!
The 100k you are mentioning,inflation has already halved that money!
If not for sympathy,the right amount that should have been given to workers should be in the region of 200k-300k esp when you break down that money and start taking out food expenses, utilities, transport cost etc!
The least that TUC will eventually agree on will be 100k or nothing!
No be their fault say FG refused to build or repair the refineries!

TUC's bargain is only advantageous for Federal government workers(and don't complain when the new 200k minimum wage balloons the already overballooned salary of senators). How many Nigerians are FG workers? Do you think that the private sector minimum wage would miraculously jump up? Do you think even state governments are paying the current 30k, yet owing months of salary. Do you think teachers, secretaries, private drivers, cooks, delivery workers, contractors etc. that earn 15k, 18k will magically get salary increases?
i understand union leaders are usually set of unserious and unintelligent people but let's help them not to be myopic by educating them.
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by lebron7(m): 6:18am On Jun 06, 2023
kokoA:
200k is okay with the present high cost of living.
That is not possible
Even if the federal government can miraculously afford that, how would private businesses afford it?
Now let's say we are in a utopia and private businesses can afford that, it won't make things easier, instead it would just create a crippling inflation
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by MrBlock: 6:19am On Jun 06, 2023
Penguin2:
Maybe 200k is a little too high.

For me, realistically, minimum wage should be non-negotiably 150k.

What is the increase in value that will warrant such increase in salary?

1 Like

Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by lebron7(m): 6:20am On Jun 06, 2023
Image123:

TUC's bargain is only advantageous for Federal government workers(and don't complain when the new 200k minimum wage balloons the already overballooned salary of senators). How many Nigerians are FG workers? Do you think that the private sector minimum wage would miraculously jump up? Do you think even state governments are paying the current 30k, yet owing months of salary. Do you think teachers, secretaries, private drivers, cooks, delivery workers, contractors etc. that earn 15k, 18k will magically get salary increases?
i understand union leaders are usually set of unserious and unintelligent people but let's help them not to be myopic by educating them.
Exactly
Simple secondary school economics should make them understand why it's a horrible idea.
That's the perfect plan to disintegrate the tiny thread which is the Nigerian economy.

1 Like

Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by olaniyilukman(m): 6:26am On Jun 06, 2023
Evaloyal2J:

The numerous loans taken by this govt came with condition, continues devaluation of naira. The central bank keep doing this. Even though they come out to deny sometimes when they do. Unfortunately, the poor man is the one bearing the brunt because like you said, they earn less than the minimum wage
Exactly my sister, people are suffering and many are dying of hunger, the society is not really helping the matter with high level of unpatriotic among ourselves, it is too terrible we are in this type of country...

1 Like

Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by lebron7(m): 6:28am On Jun 06, 2023
It's very interesting the amount of people here that don not know how an economy works considering the fact that they have access to the internet.

In the us, the average income (yearly) is about 31,000, with that amount you can live even though not very comfortable, you should be ok. In essence what we need is not increment of wages but rather strengthening of the naira so your money has a higher buying power.

For the TUC that made this statement, it should be a joke because I don't want to believe that members of a trade union do not know simple economics
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by Onyiiobi7735(m): 6:29am On Jun 06, 2023
Sasi54:
Wow! This will be massive. I just wish Tinubu will do the needful.
If it happens,it would go a long way in improving people's living standards, and reduce poverty.
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by Teymanhenry(f): 7:09am On Jun 06, 2023
lwisee:
They are not serious
Everybody will just be talking anyhow
Most of these government workers does nothing other than gossip in the office. They are only busy when it's time to pay salary.
They are nothing but liability to Nigeria.
FG should digitize operations of all government parastatals and reduce the workforce by half.

Have you tried giving them work and they fail to deliver?? It is not their fault they were employed in ministries with no work to do. Federal and state ministers in collaboration with state governors should ensure every ministries work to it's full potential, only then can we accuse the staff of laziness
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by bentenny(m): 7:16am On Jun 06, 2023
sunboy:

I hear you, quote me again if they get above 100k! Until stay safe out there.

And all your long analysis, not of it mentioned the impact of sudden rise in purchasing power... like I said, until then.
Either way,the purchasing power was still going to rise anyway!
An increase in PMS price will instantly inflate prices of goods and services which will also end up altering the purchasing power of an average Nigerian!
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by uuzba(m): 7:20am On Jun 06, 2023
lebron7:
It's very interesting the amount of people here that don not know how an economy works considering the fact that they have access to the internet.

In the us, the average income (yearly) is about 31,000, with that amount you can live even though not very comfortable, you should be ok. In essence what we need is not increment of wages but rather strengthening of the naira so your money has a higher buying power.

For the TUC that made this statement, it should be a joke because I don't want to believe that members of a trade union do not know simple economics
How can we achieve strengthening the naira?
I've always maintained that manufacturing and exportation is the way to go about this.
But no one wants to set up industries. It's too difficult/risky/expensive maybe.
-
So I guess that's why TUC would just accept the weak Naira like that and clamour for an increase in minimum wage.
Worst case our money will shift and become like Zimbabwe Dollar, big for nothing valueless money.
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by BusinessPlan22: 7:30am On Jun 06, 2023
sonature1:
I think they should be pushing for 100k per month minimum wage. 200k per month is too much. Do they want the government to spend 90% of federal earnings paying salaries?
u are senseless... Sorry to say
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by Success1981: 7:30am On Jun 06, 2023
Ofunaofu:

https://dailypost.ng/2023/06/05/subsidy-removal-crisis-increase-workers-minimum-wage-to-n200000-tuc-tells-fg/
Nigeria obviously has capacity to do that because when u convert it into dollars, u find out that's the rate paid by other African countries who are far poorer than Nigeria. However the leadership we ve had and the current one will roar into laughter at this
Re: Increase Workers Minimum Wage To N200,000 – TUC Tells FG by goodness4ever(m): 7:31am On Jun 06, 2023
It is unrealistic.

Unrealistic.

Unrealistic!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Full List Of Saraki’s Property In 2003 / Atiku: I Will NOT Take Six Months Before Naming My Cabinet, If Elected / APC Warri Rally: Buhari Has Foreseen His Defeat - PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.