Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,397 members, 7,815,867 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:44 PM

Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** (16481 Views)

CONSTRUCTION PROCESS OF TERRACE BUILDING &BLOCK OF FLAT AT LEKKI / Construction Process Of A Wing Duplex+flat At Ajah / Cost Of Building A Four Bedroom Bungalow From Foundation. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by spyder880(m): 6:48am On Nov 04, 2011
@ Nexthome, the hardest part about building, from the owners side is funding, while on the builders part is logistics.

1 Like

Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 9:21pm On Nov 04, 2011
spyder880:

@ Nexthome, the hardest part about building, from the owners side is funding, while on the builders part is logistics.

I think even with funding will be to get a land that is problem free
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by NextHome(m): 3:32am On Nov 05, 2011
I think the hardest part is teaching the people how to plan their home. Too many ideas/revisions may drag out a project.

This is not far-fetched from most typical Nigeria projects. A good rule of thumb is to do all revisions on paper.

1 Like

Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 4:09pm On Nov 05, 2011
NextHome:

I think the hardest part is teaching the people how to plan their home. Too many ideas/revisions may drag out a project.

This is not far-fetched from most typical Nigeria projects. A good rule of thumb is to do all revisions on paper.

Sounds good, but paper and real thing are not same oh, and some of us understands better with pix . . . . or wont you say?
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 12:07am On Nov 06, 2011
spyder880:

On the Logistics, I think the clients working well with the Project manager could be handled better . . . . . .
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Aventures(m): 4:20pm On Nov 06, 2011
NextHome:

BUILD ROUTES

The build route you choose will affect the cost of your building project.

Here are the different build routes:

Build Route 1:DIY

You can reduce the cost of your building project by 30 - 40% choosing to build by yourself. Research has it that 40% of build cost is spent on labour. If you can substitute labour costs with DIY and employing help with the rest of the building work - you'll save cost.

Best Route if you are planning a small project without a deadline. Not a good option if you are building more than a floor.

Build Route 2: Direct Labour
In this route, you can build using artisans hired directly and giving them daily payment.

Best Route if you are building a house with little funds and if you do not have the time to directly administer and supervise the project (as required in Build Route 1 above).
In this route, you'll need to employ a site supervisor.

Build Route 3: Contractor

This build route involves using a main contractor to build the main structure to roofing stage, with the remaining work being undertaken by subcontractors. The quote you'll receive on this type of build route will be higher as more responsibilities will rest on the shoulder of the contractor.

Best Route if you have no idea of how to kickstart or manage a construction project. The only advice here is 'Be Involved'

Build Route 4: Build Company
This route involves building using a build company which takes care of everything from planning to landscaping of the finished house, with little or no involvement from the home owner.

Best route if you are planning a big project.

DTo be sincere DIY in Nigeria is not really working. There is nothing you can do yourself than to buy materials and supervise yourself. You can not do the artisan work nor technician work nor labour work yourself. If you think you are buying material urself and think u re making savings na lie as soon as the material seller observed that u re the client they are happy cos it is their field day. Come too the artisans, technician and the labours they are the happiest because the client has no basis for negotiation so they charge them blindly also most of them will give you exhorbitant material request. If you give them money for the material they wont buy it complete if you buy urself they will find a way of selling the rest. Moreover to make their Job easier they turn ur design upside down and do it as they like.
Well I am talking from experience, infact I av one case at hand presently My self and one other professional architect on NL did a design for this client of mine. I approach him gently for supervisory role only, he said no. Meanwhile the land is very sloppy that could conveniently take a basement But while applying DIY the went and started fdn. And when the fdn wall was getting to abt 10-12 coaches. They realised the need for basement; in the process a lot of wall were pull down some fell as a result of the height eventually they cld nt get enough head rm and they excavated the floor below the fdn of blinding. To cut a long story short, the called out for help after he had spent over 1m above his budget. He pleaded for my intervention when the iron bender were telling him that 1ton of 16mm, 2 ton of 12mm will not be sufficient for decking of just 2 bed room
Now tell me the advantage of DIY in this case, He wasted money and time to get a poor shoddy job at the end. Beside this I know of a building of 12 flats under threat because of DIY.
The corruption that is killing our nation will not allow DIY to work in NIGERIA
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by NextHome(m): 4:51pm On Nov 06, 2011
^^^Interesting! Generally, most people think building a house is an effortless job. That you just have to buy bricks, pour concrete the way you want and level it; this is the biggest misconception people have (especially people in the online community). There are numerous preparations to be made before anyone set a stone, because of which it is a wise decision to hire skilled laborers and professionals who have the expertise in constructing houses.  Cost cutting is no reason to do such a hectic job yourself, you might wind up with a disastrous result.

DIYers Beware!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by NextHome(m): 4:57pm On Nov 06, 2011
Oga Fhemmmy, are we still on course?
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by spyder880(m): 6:22pm On Nov 06, 2011
Well said Aventures and Nexthome, DIY= penny wise pound foolish as they say, only trained and experienced professionals can build good houses, and lets not decieve ourselves that we can cut corners, its just not possible.
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 11:35pm On Nov 06, 2011
@Aventure . . . . That is beautifully said, and in a nation where labor is kinda cheap compared to labor in developed nation . . . .but i think we could still do some DIY like laying grass . . . . Lol
But you are right that when you think you saving money, na lie - in a nation where even the child in the womb is already corrupt.
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 11:38pm On Nov 06, 2011
NextHome:

^^^Interesting! Generally, most people think building a house is an effortless job. That you just have to buy bricks, pour concrete the way you want and level it; this is the biggest misconception people have (especially people in the online community). There are numerous preparations to be made before anyone set a stone, because of which it is a wise decision to hire skilled laborers and professionals who have the expertise in constructing houses.  Cost cutting is no reason to do such a hectic job yourself, you might wind up with a disastrous result.

DIYers Beware!

I will admit that i never knew there were this much involved in building a home in Nigeria cos always looking at it as a lawless nation and no need to get a lot of things done, but you and brabus have opened my eyes to see reality and thanks for the education.
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 11:41pm On Nov 06, 2011
NextHome:

Oga Fhemmmy, are we still on course?

Yes, I am learning by the day and God bless you all
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 1:08am On Nov 07, 2011
spyder880:

Well said Aventures and Nexthome, DIY= penny wise pound foolish as they say, only trained and experienced professionals can build good houses, and lets not decieve ourselves that we can cut corners, its just not possible.

Agreed, but we could surely save money doing it Spyder's way . . . .however, no one could be spyder, there could only be one spyder
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by spyder880(m): 7:17am On Nov 07, 2011
^^^ Oga mi,he-goat dey sweat o, only that the fur wey cover im bodi dont allow people see say im dey suffer!
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 3:40pm On Nov 07, 2011
spyder880:

^^^ Oga mi,he-goat dey sweat o, only that the fur wey cover im bodi dont allow people see say im dey suffer!

So many he-goat dey sweat and yet no result to show for it, but you have result, so you are miles ahead of the pack
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 8:59pm On Nov 07, 2011
We continue to learn
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 12:21am On Nov 08, 2011
Knowledge is power
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Down4real: 8:30am On Nov 08, 2011
FOR RENT

BRANDNEW
2 UNITS OF 2 BEDROOM FLAT FOR RENT IN SAME GLOBAL ESTATE NEAR SUNVILLE ESTATE ABUJA

RENT:N850k PER ANNUM ONE YEAR RENT ACCEPTABLE

BRANDNEW
2 UNITS OF 2 BEDROOM BUNGALOW FOR RENT IN LUGBE RENT:650K PER ANNUM ONE YEAR RENT ACCEPTABLE

FOR FURTHER DETAILS AND INSPECTION PLEASE CONTACT LEYE:08139592236 OR ALEX:08188124756
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 4:19pm On Nov 08, 2011
Ok . . .We have heard
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 8:33pm On Nov 08, 2011
Thanks for teaching us, people
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 12:04am On Nov 09, 2011
Learning unlimited
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by luckyme9(f): 1:00am On Nov 09, 2011
Great Thread Guys. Thumbs Up High for Oga Fhemmo
I need some light on DIY painting, exterior to be precise
I would like to buy my own paint and have a painter bring his
people to do the work.
What is the best type of paint
What is the best brand
Where is the best place (house in Ikotun Area)
About how much per 5gl Bucket
What are my looking at for labor
Any recommendations
Any Pictures
Thanking you all in advance
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 4:51pm On Nov 09, 2011
Still loving the teaching . . . . .
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 8:32pm On Nov 09, 2011
Teach us more, I beg
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 9:23pm On Nov 09, 2011
Knowledge is Power
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 4:06pm On Nov 10, 2011
Another day with so much to learn . . . .
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 7:47pm On Nov 10, 2011
No stress in learning
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 12:10am On Nov 11, 2011
Another day and still willing to learn
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 4:03pm On Nov 11, 2011
Happy Friday, Remember to give Him thanks
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 10:44pm On Nov 11, 2011
We so much magnify His name
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by spyder880(m): 1:26pm On Nov 12, 2011
I went to my friends site today and saw the house he was building. What put me off in this whole building was the lack of space in the compound. Although he cannot expand the space but he should have planned for the house that will give his compound at least 40ft in the front so he can park his car(s) and allow the kids enough room to play inside the compound. This should be remembered in the planning stage.

1 Like

Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 3:05am On Nov 13, 2011
^^^ That is one thing that irritates me.
Thanks for reminding us of this

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Effective,function,perfect Architectural Design And Construction In Nigeria / 5-Year-Old Girl Rescued From Collapsed Building In Lagos (photos) / How Much Is Bricklayer Fees For Laying Bricks And Plastering 3 Bedroom House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.