Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,411 members, 7,815,920 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:01 PM

Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** (16483 Views)

CONSTRUCTION PROCESS OF TERRACE BUILDING &BLOCK OF FLAT AT LEKKI / Construction Process Of A Wing Duplex+flat At Ajah / Cost Of Building A Four Bedroom Bungalow From Foundation. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by peaceland(m): 1:57am On Oct 22, 2011
@ femi,
nice idea, thumbs up, love the thread, i already subscribed
knowledge that I've gained in this property section is quite useful and i cant stop learning
take care
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by walex0709: 9:03am On Oct 22, 2011
D process of building a hse frm stage of buying d till u park in depend on ur budget.
Firstly chose d locatn to buy d land nd size according 2 wat u can afford for d land. D next is documents which'll b determined by type of land nd wat u can pay 4 it. D following re d doc.:
omonile receipt(wen buying frm family).
registered deed of assignment.
Survey plan
C of O
Gov. Consent e.t.c
if d land u re buying already has C of O nd u wnt the document in ur name, u go for gov. Consent here in lagos.
After d documentation call ur architect nd quantity surveyor to give u ur choice plan nd quantify wat it'll cost to erect d building. Some found it difficult to pay a token 4 a Q. Surveyor they start project they can't complete in their life term.
After a good plan and knowledge of what it cost, call in a builder to start d work,
Hmm! Let me take a class of water, 'e bi laise i dey thirst'
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by atasteve: 11:53am On Oct 22, 2011
Haba, who dey call this thread useless angry

Lord Fhemmy, thanks for this innovative idea, i have read from the begining and i must confess i have seen things that i had never thought are possible.

A plumber told me that there is a part of the plumbing work that should be buried in the german floor, so he advised that some of the plumbering pipes should be done before the german floor is casted.
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 11:04pm On Oct 22, 2011
^^^ Chief, what i have learnt on this forum, all my years at university did not teach me one-tenth of it, and that is why i give thanks to people like you and Spyder, as well as Brabus.
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by spyder880(m): 6:03am On Oct 23, 2011
@ atasteve, burying plumbing pipes in the decking makes for neater works, but could turn bad if there are any leakages later on in life. I have seen where they buried waste pipes in wall pillars and it later burst, the correction process is always very expensive, plus the offensive odor it throws out. I love neat works where i dont see waste pipes, but i will do external piping of waste in my house.

Another angle to it is that piping internally will save you on concrete, and thats why some contractors endorse it, think of this, you have 9" square pillars that you will pour and out of that you will bury 4" plastic pipes into it, sounds like saving on concrete by as much as 30% on the pillar. But my concern is this, do you know that the targeted strenght of the column has been compromised by the hole created inside the column, and that may cause some safety issues.
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 9:53pm On Oct 23, 2011
Thanks to all making the thread lively and educational.
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by atasteve: 10:44pm On Oct 23, 2011
spyder880:

@ atasteve, burying plumbing pipes in the decking makes for neater works, but could turn bad if there are any leakages later on in life. I have seen where they buried waste pipes in wall pillars and it later burst, the correction process is always very expensive, plus the offensive odor it throws out. I love neat works where i dont see waste pipes, but i will do external piping of waste in my house.

Another angle to it is that piping internally will save you on concrete, and thats why some contractors endorse it, think of this, you have 9" square pillars that you will pour and out of that you will bury 4" plastic pipes into it, sounds like saving on concrete by as much as 30% on the pillar. But my concern is this, do you know that the targeted strenght of the column has been compromised by the hole created inside the column, and that may cause some safety issues.

Lord Spyder880, that is why I call you Oga smiley. You are absolutely correct. Wear and tear affects everything in life, there was an incidence where shit was filling up the walls/columns and nobody got to know until it became a big issue.

As you said the strength of the column is already compromised by reducing the core in order to create space for the pipe.

I went for the surface piping option and I am happy with the result,

Thanks Lord Spyder880 for the lesson.
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 3:33pm On Oct 24, 2011
atasteve:

Lord Spyder880, that is why I call you Oga smiley. You are absolutely correct. Wear and tear affects everything in life, there was an incidence where poo was filling up the walls/columns and nobody got to know until it became a big issue.

As you said the strength of the column is already compromised by reducing the core in order to create space for the pipe.

I went for the surface piping option and I am happy with the result,

Thanks Lord Spyder880 for the lesson.

We are learning on a daily basis and dont have to pay . . . . . cool
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 8:10pm On Oct 24, 2011
Learning continues . . .
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 1:30pm On Oct 25, 2011
I am not trying to define these two terms to you, but rather, I want you to know that there is only a small line between "Winning" and "Loosing" and crossing that line depends on how long you can hold on when the storm starts. So, DON'T GIVE UP. SUCCESS AHEAD.
Thanks.
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by spyder880(m): 1:50pm On Oct 25, 2011
^^^ just what I need now, maybe God told you to send this to me.
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Nobody: 2:16pm On Oct 25, 2011
I bought my Land with all the paper work cost me 1m(somewhere close to Phc).

I got a friend and did a free building plan(twin 1 bedroom flat) grin grin grin

Started with 12 trips of sand, 100bgs of cement, got ppl to mould the blocks, 30blocks for 1 bag of cement.
Insummary, it cost me a total of app 6.5million, with borehole in place.

Fully furnished, tiles all floor, kitchen walls, painted.

Once u start, tell us the phase u are in and lets put our comment.

thanks
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 7:49pm On Oct 25, 2011
spyder880:

^^^ just what I need now, maybe God told you to send this to me.

I am so glad to hear that . . . . and please hang in there, you are doing great and the Lord is your strength my brother
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 7:50pm On Oct 25, 2011
Vikin:

I bought my Land with all the paper work cost me 1m(somewhere close to Phc).

I got a friend and did a free building plan(twin 1 bedroom flat) grin grin grin

Started with 12 trips of sand, 100bgs of cement, got ppl to mould the blocks, 30blocks for 1 bag of cement.
Insummary, it cost me a total of app 6.5million, with borehole in place.

Fully furnished, tiles all floor, kitchen walls, painted.

Once u start, tell us the phase u are in and lets put our comment.

thanks

Thanks for sharing and we all wish you the best with your project
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 5:32am On Oct 26, 2011
Still learning
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 1:44pm On Oct 26, 2011
Teach us more and we willing to learn
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 6:22pm On Oct 26, 2011
Nice bright day
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Aventures(m): 8:03pm On Oct 26, 2011
spyder880:

Pls never allow, any pipe buried in your columns because taking 30% of the concrete in your column has rendered that column useless. Unless otherwise specify by your structural engineer. For instance in designing if you intend to bury pipe in your structural members such as beams and columns this would have been considered in ur design, this will result in increase in the dimension of the structure i:e where your colums section should be 225 x 225 ur design may end up giving you 300 x 300 so as to make up for the portion of the concrete occupied by the pipe. As for me i dont at any time in my structural design recommend pipes in structral members resisting compresive load.
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 1:13am On Oct 27, 2011
Keep the training come
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by spyder880(m): 6:56am On Oct 27, 2011
@ Aventures, nice input, to create more width for the concrete to compensate for the hole is cool.
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 1:56pm On Oct 27, 2011
Food for thought

Cowardice asks the question: Is it safe?
Expediency asks the question: Is it politic?
Vanity asks the question: Is it popular?
But conscience asks the question: Is it RIGHT?
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 7:29pm On Oct 27, 2011
Eager to know more
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Aventures(m): 9:11pm On Oct 27, 2011
A piece of Advice, since this tread is meant to educate us on hw to start a bldg project from start to finishing i wish to advice that b4 you purchase any land try to know hw does the area looks like during raining season no matter hw dry, hard and strong the place may be at the time of inspection ask questions or better still wait till raining season. I am talking frm experience. Myself and my client's representative bought a Land for my client at Arepo early this year the land was super dry and hard infact the surveyor had to use digger b4 fixing the beacons. But lo & behold we went back around August this year to commence work only to found water flowing on the surface of the land like a river even up till now. I did my estimate based on what i saw previously but i had to review my process and this cost extra 400k. The client release the money reluctantly thinking it is one of the contractor's gimmicks to reap people off but i nevr mind i insited on getting the money and do the right thing. "If the foundation is destoyed what can a righteous do"

By the grace of God the project is up to first floor decking now. i wish i have time to teach us on the advatanges of frame structure and the process and also give out the exaxt quaNTITIES of materials used, labour charge and all vital info. God will help us.
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by spyder880(m): 9:22pm On Oct 27, 2011
^^^^ Thank you for reminding me, my mentor thought me to buy lands only during the rainy season, on one occassion, we delayed payment for one plot till the heavy rains, he called me out and we stood under the rain for more than any hour, he wanted to see the speed and strenght of the flood water passing through the plot and the road. Rain beat me that day sotay all my clothes soaked with water.
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 10:44pm On Oct 27, 2011
Aventures:

A piece of Advice, since this tread is meant to educate us on hw to start a bldg project from start to finishing i wish to advice that b4 you purchase any land try to know hw does the area looks like during raining season no matter hw dry, hard and strong the place may be at the time of inspection ask questions or better still wait till raining season. I am talking frm experience. Myself and my client's representative bought a Land for my client at Arepo early this year the land was super dry and hard infact the surveyor had to use digger b4 fixing the beacons. But lo & behold we went back around August this year to commence work only to found water flowing on the surface of the land like a river even up till now. I did my estimate based on what i saw previously but i had to review my process and this cost extra 400k. The client release the money reluctantly thinking it is one of the contractor's gimmicks to reap people off but i nevr mind i insited on getting the money and do the right thing. "If the foundation is destoyed what can a righteous do"

By the grace of God the project is up to first floor decking now. i wish i have time to teach us on the advatanges of frame structure and the process and also give out the exaxt quaNTITIES of materials used, labour charge and all vital info. God will help us.

Waoh . . . I have never heard of this before and thanks a lot for sharing this great information with us . . . .
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 10:48pm On Oct 27, 2011
spyder880:

^^^^ Thank you for reminding me, my mentor thought me to buy lands only during the rainy season, on one occassion, we delayed payment for one plot till the heavy rains, he called me out and we stood under the rain for more than any hour, he wanted to see the speed and strenght of the flood water passing through the plot and the road. Rain beat me that day sotay all my clothes soaked with water.

What would you say about the topography of the land?
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 11:59pm On Oct 27, 2011
Thanks to all teaching us
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Onisuru1(m): 2:54am On Oct 28, 2011
for my fellow low income earner,
for a cheap and accessable land in one of the villages, contact the olori ebi(Family Head) buy from him and let him issue the family receipt for you. i bet you the kind of deal you will get will amaze you. i get land along lagos ibadan express way, when peolpe are buying #800k i bougth mine #150k within the same location. you will always be sheild away from the real land owner elders, this Baba want development and ready to encourage young ones to achieve much so they take thing easy on you from the begining not the youth the still have alot of things to do with money.
ask for the general survey of the whole land, make a copy, mark you plot(s) on the survey.
do the survey of you land.
get a lawyer to prepare your deed of assignment and stamp duty with the land receipt, general survey copy and your land survey attached.
get the all the neccesary signature and stamp on all the document making them autentic
get somebody in the land ministry and register your intrest to do the C.of O and approval . award the plan drawing to the person in the land ministry( otherwise there is high tendency of the finding fault in the drawing you present for approval making you to sp[end more)
clear your land and prepare to mold your block
for foudation make the block stronger after foudation blocks the other blocks may comes cheaper 20-25blocks per bag for foundation and 30-40block per bag for the wall

1 Like

Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Onisuru1(m): 3:15am On Oct 28, 2011
sit down with a paper and pen start drafting the plan of the kind of house you need then continue modifying it to your taste and standard.
call ur partner (wife/husband) and discuss your draft with him/her and seek her input and commitment to the project.
call ur builder and tell him the kind of house you want keeping your draft away from him let him come up with it own design with that you will have something to compare with then you present your drawing to him with that you will be able to merge expertise with taste
negotiate for what it will take to get the house to lithed then you will know all you need remember you have already made some blocks
get your contact in the land ministry informing him of your intent to start work on the land and the kind of structure you want to build on the land. so that nobody from the land ministry will come and disturb you at your site.
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by ifyalways(f): 9:07am On Oct 28, 2011
I love this thread.
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by ifyalways(f): 9:10am On Oct 28, 2011
I love this thread.
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 6:19pm On Oct 28, 2011
@ Onisuru . . . why not leave your contact and your present offers?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

5-Year-Old Girl Rescued From Collapsed Building In Lagos (photos) / How Much Is Bricklayer Fees For Laying Bricks And Plastering 3 Bedroom House / Sublet/squatting Tenants Is Refusing To Move.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.