Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,198 members, 7,822,045 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:06 AM

Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? (19294 Views)

Nigerian Man Marries With ‘fake’ Genotype, Abandons Wife With ‘sickle Cell’ Kids / Morally Bankrupt Kids – How To Avoid Raising Them / Nigerian Boy Pranks His Parents With A Fake Snake(Hilarious Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by haphizz57(m): 11:32pm On Nov 30, 2023
Acidosis:

Your parents are very wicked.
Ur brainbox av contact virus
Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by DrAda(f): 11:36pm On Nov 30, 2023
Chee59:

False. False.

Care to elaborate?

2 Likes

Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Chee59(f): 11:37pm On Nov 30, 2023
DrAda:

Care to elaborate?
You talk of manageable and sickle cell in the same sentence? You mean the same sickle cell crisis that can start suddenly and in 10/20 minutes, the pain is almost lethal? Or the fact that half the time you doctors are doing trial and error?

2 Likes

Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Greattha: 11:37pm On Nov 30, 2023
First thing is to register them with a hospital with Haematology Department or access to a Haematology Consultant.

Now, there aren't many of these around. Infact one of the best places for this is UCH Ibadan.

Secondly, avoid Stress and Mosquitoes

Thirdly, have a balanced diet and regular water intake. Water is life...it won't be palatable but they must carry water around and drink regularly.

You'll also need funds for meds like folic acid, b complex etc

For the pain, there's a potent combo of pain meds that I can suggest but you'd have to run it by your Haematology Consultant first for approval to determine if its safe for your siblings.
. It works...knocks off pain in 1-2 hours
Chat me privately if interested as I can't post it here

Yemike:
I need people with experience on how to manage SS Crisis.
Both my parent are AS and we the kids are 5. I'm the first child and I'm lucky to be AA, the 2nd born AS, 3rd, 4th, 5th - SS.
I have 3 SS siblings and right now most of their responsibility and wellbeing is on me as the first born cuz my P-man is old already.
Just last week I have to rush down to my brother's school to bring him home cuz he called me in the middle of the night weeping cuz the pain is just too much and his roommate isn't around.
My question now is how can it be managed? cuz it's really affecting everybody cuz It's affecting their studies, I'm exhausted right now cuz anytime it happens it's ends with me borrowing funds to send to them and lastly it's sucks happiness out of the atmosphere as hearing a teenager weeping and knowing you can't do anything about it is saddening.

I've seen some people asking if they as AS can also marry AS please and please don't try it as you'll just be bringing innocent kids here just to suffer. The trauma of you seeing your kids in pain sef no be here.

How can SS Crisis be avoided/managed?

I'd have loved my write up to be well detailed but the little I wrote up there took up to an hour cuz my phone is bad.

You experience and advice will be well appreciated. Thanks.
Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Greattha: 11:42pm On Nov 30, 2023
Hydroxyurea is a medication that was used for tests and trials in UCH at a time but I think it's been abandoned

I'd advice against it cos it's side effects are too numerous and imo, the benefits ain't worth it.

Again, my opinion pls.

Toktee:
Avoid mosques at all costs, always take becomplex and folic acid tabs, avoid cold water and always wear sucks.
Finally and importantly, buy a drug called HYDROXYUREA it reduce the frequency of pain crisis almost to zero.

1 Like

Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Chee59(f): 11:46pm On Nov 30, 2023
Greattha:
Hydroxyurea is a medication that was used for tests and trials in UCH at a time but I think it's been abandoned

I'd advice against it cos it's side effects are too numerous and imo, the benefits ain't worth it.

Again, my opinion pls.

I think it varies from person to person, benefits and side effects.
But saying it reduces frequency of crises to zero, false.
Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Kobojunkie: 11:49pm On Nov 30, 2023
remzytimer:
You can only try your best buy only my God can turn SS to AA let your faith be strong in God. Tell them to attend Shiloh 2023n the God of Shiloh is special in impossibilities. Just come with faith
You people are really wicked. So, God didn't turn the AS parents to AA but He will now turn the SS children the wicked couple produced to AAs? undecided
Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Burgermotors: 11:50pm On Nov 30, 2023
Shiloh gini you see your life
remzytimer:
You can only try your best buy only my God can turn SS to AA let your faith be strong in God. Tell them to attend Shiloh 2023n the God of Shiloh is special in impossibilities. Just come with faith
Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Kobojunkie: 11:50pm On Nov 30, 2023
oliverwrites:
You are very dumb and very mannerless. How many of our parents know about Genotype? Most parents in their late 50s today did not do genotype test before marrying.
Dumb f*ck
They had the first sick child and did not think to find out why before proceeding to have any others? You are kidding, right? undecided
Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Greattha: 11:51pm On Nov 30, 2023
Precisely.

Though I didn't say it reduces frequency, that was the person I quoted.

Remember its used to treat cancer as well?

I remember going through the side effects and was like WTF....pardon my french😊

Heck you dare not have babies while taking it unless you stop the medication for about 1 year and run tests to ensure it's been cleared from your system else you stand the hugh chance of having a deformed baby

My question then was, so how would the patients handle the pain for that period?

Chee59:

I think it varies from person to person, benefits and side effects.
But saying it reduces frequency of crises to zero, false.
Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by erico2k2(m): 11:53pm On Nov 30, 2023
oliverwrites:
You are very dumb and very mannerless. How many of our parents know about Genotype? Most parents in their late 50s today did not do genotype test before marrying.

Dumb f*ck.
Are you Ok, someone born 1973 who most likely got married and gave birth in the 90s does not know about Genotype?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Blake755: 11:56pm On Nov 30, 2023
God may we not find ourselves in a situation where others consider us a burden 💔💔💔
Unfortunately it is not for anemias 😭😭😭

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Kobojunkie: 11:58pm On Nov 30, 2023
Yemike:
■ How many people are aware of genotype back then?
Me wey I dey primary school back then and had several classmates that were sicklers, you come dey tell me say theree were parents who were not aware? Are you folks OK at all? undecided

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Kobojunkie: 11:59pm On Nov 30, 2023
WantsandMore:
Your Parents probably married for love cos this genotype thingy have had it's orientation & people ignored. If you've money na to dey monitor their every biological existence mk dem no kpai
Married for love and out of wickedness produced 3 sicklers? Nonsense! undecided
Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Kobojunkie: 12:01am On Dec 01, 2023
EmekaBlue:
Miracle no dey tire Jesus. Mine was AS as I heard but I did again recently I saw AA
abeg get away! undecided
Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Antoeni(m): 12:01am On Dec 01, 2023
It's All About , Torture, Agony, Pains Torments, it's Crisises

1 Like

Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by linearity: 12:01am On Dec 01, 2023
remzytimer:

Have you personally witnessed anyone that was turned from SS to AA?

1 Like

Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Kobojunkie: 12:02am On Dec 01, 2023
vintageviniba:
bro!! The Bible says "wisdom is profitable to direct" Sometimes God sef go look you tire for your matter. Young lovers go see this one believe say AS fit marry AS. Or SS fit Marry SS, or AS fit Marry SS.
Abeg getaway! undecided

Your religious folks are the most wicked of them all. How can any sane person have not one but three sicklers and still dey pretend say him know God. undecided

1 Like

Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Kobojunkie: 12:03am On Dec 01, 2023
DrAda:
Again. Sickle cell is a very manageable disease as long as you are on your meds.
How many can afford the meds? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Antoeni(m): 12:06am On Dec 01, 2023
Adekunle Gold ( A G Baby ) Saw Hell

2 Likes

Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Greattha: 12:06am On Dec 01, 2023
True.

Especially with the current economic situation.

I heard a med that used to cost 180 per sachet of 10 tablets now costs N3,200 for same dose.

Makes you wonder how peeps are coping.

Terrible.

If you have good health, thank your God everyday.

Kobojunkie:
How many can afford the meds? undecided

5 Likes

Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Blake755: 12:08am On Dec 01, 2023
DrAda:
Again. Sickle cell is a very manageable disease as long as you are on your meds.
You think so no matter how you managed it the guilt is still there you might not understand how you ever felt explaining your pains to doctors yet they don't understand the level of pain
Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Kobojunkie: 12:08am On Dec 01, 2023
Abbeytoy:
We have 7 sickle cell in my family.
Even after SS child #3, your family had still not acquired enough knowledge to avoid having the other 4? Wow.... shocked

3 Likes

Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Kobojunkie: 12:10am On Dec 01, 2023
EmekaBlue:
sharaap
Who tell u say I dey east?! And again I'm sure u r west....if no be Lagos the no man's land...d rest are super quack
Go get yourself properly tested abeg! undecided

If indeed a miracle did happen in your case, then there ought to be signs to show you were once AS and are no more. lipsrsealed

3 Likes

Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by id4sho(m): 12:11am On Dec 01, 2023
Greattha:
True.

Especially with the current economic situation.

I heard a med that used to cost 180 per sachet of 10 tablets now costs N3,200 for same dose.

Makes you wonder how peeps are coping.

Terrible.

If you have good health, thank your God everyday.

Yeah, tramadol
Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Kobojunkie: 12:15am On Dec 01, 2023
Melagros:
■ You're a real mumu...very big one
He is not the mumu in this case. I was in primary 4 or 5 around 1989 and I knew about Sicklecell anemia. So to tell us that a parent who has at least 1 Sickler for an offspring around that time was not already informed on the condition is to proclaim said parents imbe_ciles. undecided

1 Like

Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Kobojunkie: 12:17am On Dec 01, 2023
iknopro:
Chaiii, I feel your pain Bro, I had this neighbor in my area then, this man was very rich, he has a company, I won't mention the name for some reasons.but all his kids then were SS, it got to the point that the kids after University those day started dying one after the other, I think they were about 6 of them then, when the last one died, the man couldn't hold it, he died and the next week the wife follow suit, that's how a complete generation was wiped out of the surface of the earth by SS anemia. Chaiii. The Lord is your strength Bro
They intentionally chose to have Sicklers and did not know to stop after the first or second? Wow... undecided
Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by dauntless15(m): 12:17am On Dec 01, 2023
Yemike:
I need people with experience on how to manage SS Crisis.
Both my parent are AS and we the kids are 5. I'm the first child and I'm lucky to be AA, the 2nd born AS, 3rd, 4th, 5th - SS.
I have 3 SS siblings and right now most of their responsibility and wellbeing is on me as the first born cuz my P-man is old already.
Just last week I have to rush down to my brother's school to bring him home cuz he called me in the middle of the night weeping cuz the pain is just too much and his roommate isn't around.
My question now is how can it be managed? cuz it's really affecting everybody cuz It's affecting their studies, I'm exhausted right now cuz anytime it happens it's ends with me borrowing funds to send to them and lastly it's sucks happiness out of the atmosphere as hearing a teenager weeping and knowing you can't do anything about it is saddening.

I've seen some people asking if they as AS can also marry AS please and please don't try it as you'll just be bringing innocent kids here just to suffer. The trauma of you seeing your kids in pain sef no be here.

How can SS Crisis be avoided/managed?

I'd have loved my write up to be well detailed but the little I wrote up there took up to an hour cuz my phone is bad.

You experience and advice will be well appreciated. Thanks.
there's a drug that stops the pain immediately, asin one tiny bottle of it/ampoule will arrest the pain in seconds and you'll be surprised the sufferer will be running around and laughing, na by force you go fit catch am sef, downside is, it's expensive and addictive.

2 Likes

Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Kobojunkie: 12:18am On Dec 01, 2023
Kingson28:
I think government should make genotype testing compulsory for intending couples and make a law prohibiting two AS individuals from getting married and making babies.
Your love for each other should not be the painfully miserable existence for your children.
Look around.... making it compulsory will not stop the ignorant from charging forward in blatant arrogance. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Yemike(m): 12:43am On Dec 01, 2023
Blake755:
God may we not find ourselves in a situation where others consider us a burden 💔💔💔
Unfortunately it is not for anemias 😭😭😭
Amen. I saw your email notification but the mail I used in registering this account is not functioning please contact me on Ohgeebee95@gmail.com Thanks.
Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by nedekid: 12:46am On Dec 01, 2023
As a kid, I followed my folks to visit a landlord in the area that just lost his son to sickle cell. It was the 2nd and last child. When I saw the woman, point to the man saying she regretted ever meeting him, my jaw dropped.
Today that boy would have been 52/53 years old.
Thay was the first time I heard of the ailment.
You are AS and meet an As? Omo run ohh..

5 Likes

Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Yemike(m): 12:48am On Dec 01, 2023
Greattha:
First thing is to register them with a hospital with Haematology Department or access to a Haematology Consultant.

Now, there aren't many of these around. Infact one of the best places for this is UCH Ibadan.

Secondly, avoid Stress and Mosquitoes

Thirdly, have a balanced diet and regular water intake. Water is life...it won't be palatable but they must carry water around and drink regularly.

You'll also need funds for meds like folic acid, b complex etc

For the pain, there's a potent combo of pain meds that I can suggest but you'd have to run it by your Haematology Consultant first for approval to determine if its safe for your siblings.
. It works...knocks off pain in 1-2 hours
Chat me privately if interested as I can't post it here

We used Oni and Son before but their current clinic is Ade Oyo ring road.
Can you please send your recommendations to Ohgeebee95@gmail.com as I cannot contact you with the email on this account.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

I Am Tired Of My Oyinbo Wife / What Is Your Preferred Gender When It Comes To Having Children / Pastor Joel Obazee & Wife Welcome A Baby After 13 Years Of Waiting (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.