Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,402 members, 7,822,844 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:55 PM

Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? (19304 Views)

Nigerian Man Marries With ‘fake’ Genotype, Abandons Wife With ‘sickle Cell’ Kids / Morally Bankrupt Kids – How To Avoid Raising Them / Nigerian Boy Pranks His Parents With A Fake Snake(Hilarious Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by 1Sharon(f): 8:47am On Dec 01, 2023
Acidosis:

Ignorant until they decided to abandon the three SS kids to fate.

Lol they were old. But still, after the 1st SS child, they should have taken some precautions.
Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Empresa: 8:50am On Dec 01, 2023
Your Parents no try at all. Weren't they advised at the hospital? How can they have 3 SS children? That's NOT on the children.

I pray For a Miracle for them. And For You, may God send a helper to You.
Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by keeper303: 8:55am On Dec 01, 2023
adams123:

One of my friends' daughter was cured locally in Enugu state like 3 years ago. And the last time we spoke he told the daughter is still doing well without having any crises since then.

Of what use is this statement? If you want to render help, what I expected from you is to state the type of local drug or the name and contact of the person who provided the treatment. That way, you would have saved a lot of patients.

4 Likes

Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Umadam: 9:03am On Dec 01, 2023
Irresponsible response, schoolur utterances before u open ur Borehole mouth in the public.
Acidosis:

Your parents are very wicked.

1 Like

Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Olatara(f): 9:07am On Dec 01, 2023
Abbeytoy:
Take him to a general hospital where they have enough Haematologists and make him join some sickle cell forum for better understanding.

Always stay hydrated, avoid mosquito bites, avoid colds, and eat well(not junk) take folic acid, Bco and Palludrin daily. Get tested if they can use Hydroxyurea, it helps, avoid excessive stress.

UCH Ibadan is the only hospital in Nigeria with a better understanding haematologists.

You can contact DM for more assistant
Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Olatara(f): 9:12am On Dec 01, 2023
Chee59:

False. False.
She is right.
Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Tolupage(m): 9:13am On Dec 01, 2023
Yemike:
I need people with experience on how to manage SS Crisis.

Yemike, I understand your pain and a big thank you for the continual support. Here are my thoughts as someone who's SS.

1. Help them cultivate the habit of takin their routin drugs, folic acid, bco and paludrin. Truthfully we don't like taking drugs and once one is healthy, we most times forget about them.

2. Avoid stress by all means. Physical, mental, emotional and psychological. Heartbreak from a babe can land one in hospital.

3. Never strain your body. exercise, sport and labor can be detrimental, they all must learn to do these with caution and within limit. I'm not asking they become pampered and spoilt tho.

4. Get them supplements: there are lots of supplement out there can can really boost immune system and help each of them live really healthy. Find one of those. Some supplement don't work for people tho, so find the right one.
I know a lot of people recommend Hydroxyurea, but I'd say it should be your last resort unless recommended by your doctor.

5. Love them with all you've got and show it, they'll need it.

6. Avoid mosquito bites by all means. Mosquito nets should be encouraged.

7. Teach them independence, they'll need it. People no too send you. Once one begin to fall sick too frequently they'll eventually get tired... Don't blame them too.

8. Keep first aid drugs around at all times, PCM, Diclofenac, Aboniki.

9. Don't let their battles drain you, you also deserve a good life

10. Help them understand they can live well, and be the best version of themselves. They must cultivate strong desire to live and enjoy life.

11. Hydration is non negotiable. Minimum 7 sachet of water daily. Regular cup shouldn't be less than 10.

12. Avoid extreme weather. Cold? Wear your cardigan. Hot? Loosen up.

Lastly Make dem sabi God oooooooooooo, cause na him dey run things.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Heroicvic(m): 9:13am On Dec 01, 2023
jojothaiv:

That's the thing with life, we always think we have it rough until someone share their own story, reason, I keep my story to myself while I wish those going through their hell well.

Life's not a level playing field no matter how we choose to gloss over it. Bad things have happened and worst could still happen but all in all, life goes on.

I can only imagine the pain of the OP and what he's passing through at moment.

God help us all 🙏

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by We4all: 9:16am On Dec 01, 2023
OCHKESTINE:
I happen to be the only AA among 10 kids.
1 AS and 8 Sickle cell siblings.
We lost 6 and I must confess it hasn't been easy.

My Parents have been married 45 years. I was 6th child but life made me first born by force. There is no month I don't spend money. I even had an agreement with a local pharmacy that sell Tramadol to me because they know I have SS siblings.

This year they both have received 3 pints of blood each to boost their PCV level.

My both Parents are old and frequent hospital for check up. I love my family and I don't blame my parents for anything. It's called life- no perfect life. That is my cross and I have carried it all through my life. I am in my 30s.

Despite being an AA I made sure my wife is also AA.

My friends wonder why I am not careless with money, but I know the responsibility I carry.

MY ADVICE
- They should eat well, do fruits regularly.
- Folic acid and vitamin C,
- Strong painkillers like ibuprofen and Tramadol (if u can get).
- If they are in crisis for up to 3 days straight, their blood level should be checked. One time my brother's PCV dropped as low as 15%, he is so tough he survived.
- They should always get medications on time ( being SS they get tired of medications and sometimes get stubborn about not taking anything, forgetting it will strain your pocket)

My sister is 40 years and my brother is 28 years.

FYI, due to their health, u will have to pickup after them all the time financially.
Lastly, they need to have strong relationship with God. Because despite all your efforts only their faith can keep them alive

Reading this got me so emotional. It's not easy to lose one sibling or child and you guys lost 6. This must have been very hard for you guys. Kpele!

3 Likes

Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by nizelgirl(f): 9:17am On Dec 01, 2023
money121:
How can husband be AA and wife is AS, and baby is SS? Paternity fraud looming...

Husband is AA, wife is AS. 3 months after they had their first child, they found out their daughter was SS.

At first, it appeared like a joke, a very bad one. Medically, that isn't or shouldn't be possible. They conducted the genotype test in four medical labs, and the result came out the same.

Husband and wife decided to have their genotype test again. Results were the same.

Then it became clear what was happening. Husband ain't the father of the baby. He secretly had a DNA test and it was confirmed he didn't father the baby.

Amidst the confusion, he asked his wife if he fathered the baby. Wife wouldn't confess. She insisted he fathered the baby. It's just obvious that whoever fathered the baby is AS which resulted in the baby's SS.

They went for a paternity test and it was glaring husband ain't the baby's dad. Wife still insisting she didn't get impregnated externally. She went ahead to do another DNA. Result was the same.

Wife became a shadow of herself. Husband got crazy. Their home became a "once upon a time."

Wife kept researching how possible it was that her husband didn't father her baby and the baby's genotype is SS.

Then she told a friend of the whole matter. Her friend just felt she's using female's antics. "Take responsibility," she was told. She kept swearing and swearing. Her friend told me of the whole drama.

I kept thinking about how this would be possible. Medically, it was impossible for AA to birth SS. Coupled with the DNA results, it was glaring. But wife claiming innocence and swearing on her life was a whole different thing.

I thought of what could have been. Then I arrived at a conclusion: if wife is innocent, then she's not the mother of the child. I immediately called my friend that I've found a possible solution. MNA (maternity test) to the rescue.

They went for an MNA, and test revealed she's not the mother of the baby. Babies were changed at birth. Long story cut short, they involved the police and investigations were carried out.

Multiple tests done "here and there." They got their own baby back - AS. They returned the supposed baby. Hospital was sued for the negligence and trauma.

Wife was so displeased her husband didn't trust her. They settled and made up. They just had their second baby - a boy. Husband stayed with wife in labor room and monitored everything. Once bitten, twice shy.

At times, so called paternity fraud is change of babies at the hospital.

SOLUTION TO THE ABOVE PROBLEMS:

1. Advise your male children, to stay with their wives in the Labour wards, as their wives are delivering.

2. Advise your female children, to insist on their husbands staying in and remaining in the Labour ward, during child births.

The world of today, are full of people with evil intentions.

Together we can make the world a better place

Copied.

So true, this is one of the reasons my husband will always stay in the labour room till I deliver and he will collect his baby.

2 Likes

Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by mikeapollo: 9:30am On Dec 01, 2023
Yemike:
Both my parent are AS and we the kids are 5. I'm the first child and I'm lucky to be AA, the 2nd born AS, 3rd, 4th, 5th - SS.
I have 3 SS siblings and right now most of their responsibility and wellbeing is on me as the first born cuz my P-man is old already.
Just last week I have to rush down to my brother's school to bring him home cuz he called me in the middle of the night weeping cuz the pain is just too much and his roommate isn't around.
My question now is how can it be managed? cuz it's really affecting everybody cuz It's affecting their studies, I'm exhausted right now cuz anytime it happens it's ends with me borrowing funds to send to them and lastly it's sucks happiness out of the atmosphere as hearing a teenager weeping and knowing you can't do anything about it is saddening.

I've seen some people asking if they as AS can also marry AS please and please don't try it as you'll just be bringing innocent kids here just to suffer. The trauma of you seeing your kids in pain sef no be here.

How can SS Crisis be avoided/managed?

I'd have loved my write up to be well detailed but the little I wrote up there took up to an hour cuz my phone is bad.

You experience and advice will be well appreciated. Thanks.

Please go and buy Ciklavit and Nicosan. These are drugs approved for the treatment of sickle-cells
Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by sylve11: 9:32am On Dec 01, 2023
money121:

Shiloh will turn SS to AA

DEY PLAY grin

Na turntable. grin cool
Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by sherylbaky(f): 9:34am On Dec 01, 2023
SC is different, their crisis is not that frequent, some even hardly experience crisis, they can as well survive without crisis if properly managed. SS are prone to crisis
LillyandDaisy:
What are you thinking, I have 3 SC Brothers as my junior Brothers and we are doing all well..:
Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by sylve11: 9:36am On Dec 01, 2023
Abbeytoy:
We have 7 sickle cell in my family.

Oh! shocked shocked cool
Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by jonadaft: 9:46am On Dec 01, 2023
Acidosis:

Any parent with three AS children in the university is certainly a wicked human being. That includes your parents if they fall within that category.

I understand the fact that the word "parent" makes you needlessly emotional.
Some of you are just irredeemably senseless.
Oloriburuku ọmọ ofo.
Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Emma513: 9:50am On Dec 01, 2023
DrAda:

I understand. First of all, the meds prevent the pain from ever occuring. All my patients on meds are thriving and none has had a crisis in the past two years.

Infact, they do so well that you would never believe that they have sickle cell in the first place.

I am sorry that you are going through a lot and I sincerely hope that you get the treatment that you deserve
PLS SIR WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE PAIN MEDICINE ?
Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Emma513: 9:59am On Dec 01, 2023
eodavids:
OP, YOU ARE HAVING A SERIOUS PROBLEM BECAUSE SS CARRIERS ARE PRONE TO ALL KINDS OF SICKNESS.

GOOD NEWS IS:
OUR PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED AS GOD HAS CAUSED MEDICATION TO BE FOUND NOW BY RESEARCH AND IT'S USE ALMOST ELIMINATES SICKNESS ON SS CHILDREN.
WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE MEDICINE AND HOW CAN I GET IT.
Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by remzytimer: 10:04am On Dec 01, 2023
Did I hear you say false hope and did I hear you say you are member. You need to see me and hear my own testimonies.
[sup][/sup]
Mrklemo:

Stop this please. Just stop.
If you want go your Shiloh, just pass go. I am a member though.
Stop giving people false hope
Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by ghettochild(m): 10:08am On Dec 01, 2023
First off... Your parents are wicked..... They had the first SS n still continued to have two more

2 Likes

Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by wunmi590(m): 10:15am On Dec 01, 2023
descarado:

Depending on their church. As far back as early 80s, the Catholic church will not wed you. You must bring lab result. I think they still do it.

You are right, Catholic are the best church, I still remembered when I wanted to wed, one of my marriage class mate who wants to marry an Anglican, she was told to go with the husband to their church to get a consent letter that the man wants to marry a Catholic woman and they are doing I in Catholic church...

Honestly, I wish all other churches can emulate the styles of Catholic..

I never regretted joing the Catholic in 1998, and that has been the foundation of my kids and all my family now...
Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Incrediblekutty(m): 10:18am On Dec 01, 2023
Acidosis:

Your parents are very wicked.

You are very daft!! If your own parents escaped that, it's not that they are not wicked, it's their gambling that worked out
Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Olam09(m): 10:24am On Dec 01, 2023
Yemike:
Both my parent are AS and we the kids are 5. I'm the first child and I'm lucky to be AA, the 2nd born AS, 3rd, 4th, 5th - SS.
I have 3 SS siblings and right now most of their responsibility and wellbeing is on me as the first born cuz my P-man is old already.
Just last week I have to rush down to my brother's school to bring him home cuz he called me in the middle of the night weeping cuz the pain is just too much and his roommate isn't around.
My question now is how can it be managed? cuz it's really affecting everybody cuz It's affecting their studies, I'm exhausted right now cuz anytime it happens it's ends with me borrowing funds to send to them and lastly it's sucks happiness out of the atmosphere as hearing a teenager weeping and knowing you can't do anything about it is saddening.

I've seen some people asking if they as AS can also marry AS please and please don't try it as you'll just be bringing innocent kids here just to suffer. The trauma of you seeing your kids in pain sef no be here.

How can SS Crisis be avoided/managed?

I'd have loved my write up to be well detailed but the little I wrote up there took up to an hour cuz my phone is bad.

You experience and advice will be well appreciated. Thanks.

I'm the first child and I'm AA non of my 4 siblings are sicklers also.. maybe my parents are both AA
Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Acidosis(m): 10:31am On Dec 01, 2023
1Sharon:

Lol they were old. But still, after the 1st SS child, they should have taken some precautions.

They were old? With three Gen Z teenagers in the University?

I'm the last child of my parent. I finished University 13 years ago and my parents are not "old."

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Blake755: 10:32am On Dec 01, 2023
Yemike:

Amen. I saw your email notification but the mail I used in registering this account is not functioning please contact me on Ohgeebee95@gmail.com Thanks.
Check your mail
Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Acidosis(m): 10:34am On Dec 01, 2023
Incrediblekutty:

You are very daft!! If your own parents escaped that, it's not that they are not wicked, it's their gambling that worked out

F00lish man. My parents did not abandon their children to die of sickle cell. They did not shift their responsibility to the first child of the family either.

Thank your stars I'm not Nigeria's president, wicked parents like you will spend a good part of your life in prison. The government under my watch will take your children and throw you behind bars.

1 Like

Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Emma513: 10:34am On Dec 01, 2023
sherylbaky:
SC is different, their crisis is not that frequent, some even hardly experience crisis, they can as well survive without crisis if properly managed. SS are prone to crisis
WHAT IS SC AND SS, I THOUGHT ALL ARE SICKLE CELL
Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by fastseo: 10:40am On Dec 01, 2023
Acidosis:

Again, OP has revealed that his siblings are all Gen Zs. It's now up to you to continue to make excuses for ignorance, poverty, birthing 5 children in the midst of poverty, or abandoning 3 SS children to fate.

I ask again did you parents conduct genotype?
If they did then they must be enlightened or well exposed.
Don't you know that in the past most especially 80s downward people hardly test for stuff like this as majority of Nigeria where in rural area with little or no information about genotype, again with little or no formal education

Referring to them as wicked is unnecessary as they don't know anything of such.

Even till today.go back to your village you discover that some are not well informed on genotype.

It was even in my secondary school I began to understand what sickle cell is all about and did my first test on that in 100 level which was a requirement from the University.

So imagine if I am not educated up to the point of secondary school. What would have happened?

Even now science is now breaking boundaries with such.. Making it possible for those with AS /As to get married. But the process is expensive and most effectively in developed world.
Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Acidosis(m): 10:40am On Dec 01, 2023
Jonathan:

Some of you are just irredeemably senseless.
Oloriburuku ọmọ ofo.

An emotional dingba.t like you is more concerned about preserving the integrity of a wicked parent than the pains and crisis of three helpless SS adolescents.

Shame on your coconut head.
Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by bjdon: 10:41am On Dec 01, 2023
Water Water Water. This the MOST important thing. They need to be drinking at least 2 litres per day.
Omega 3 has been shown to help reduce pain crises. This can be obtained either from supplements or from eaten fish
Thyocyniate found in yam has also been shown to reduce crises.
Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Mrklemo(m): 10:42am On Dec 01, 2023
remzytimer:
Did I hear you say false hope and did I hear you say you are member. You need to see me and hear my own testimonies.
[sup][/sup]

What happened to you
Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Acidosis(m): 10:49am On Dec 01, 2023
fastseo:

I ask again did you parents conduct genotype?
If they did then they must be enlightened or well exposed.
Don't you know that in the past most especially 80s downward people hardly test for stuff like this as majority of Nigeria where in rural area with little or no information about genotype.

Referring to them as wicked is unnecessary as they don't know anything of such.

Even till today.go back to your village you discover that some are not well informed on genotype.

It was even in my secondary school I began to understand what sickle cell is all about and did my first test on that in 100 level which was a requirement from the University.

So imagine if I am not educated up to the point of secondary school. What would have happened?

Why are you referring to the 80s? Do you know any teenager born in the 80s??

Of course, you can only begin to fully understand sickle cell in your secondary school. However, the knowledge of sickle cell did not begin during your secondary school days. People attended secondary school before you.

1 Like

Re: Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? by Acidosis(m): 10:52am On Dec 01, 2023
ghettochild:
First off... Your parents are wicked..... They had the first SS n still continued to have two more

Without shishi

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

I Am Tired Of My Oyinbo Wife / Pastor Joel Obazee & Wife Welcome A Baby After 13 Years Of Waiting (Photos) / My Husband Uses Aboniki, Mentholatum And Powder To Have Sex With Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.