Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,906 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:50 AM

Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US (11415 Views)

EFCC Arrests Gov. Okorocha’s Aides For Pocketing N2 Billion Bailout Funds / Picture Of Gov Okorocha Demanding The Release Of Voters Held Illegally / Gov Okorocha Vs Fashola In Ear-wrestling (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by Kobojunkie: 10:45pm On Oct 31, 2011
@Micawber, are you actually in Owerri? undecided
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by Francis5: 10:50pm On Oct 31, 2011
Is Okorocha the first Gov to send his students abroad for training?
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by Francis5: 10:50pm On Oct 31, 2011
Rivers students leave for studies overseas

By OKON VICTOR

Print print Email email Share Share

A total of 154 students of Rivers State origin who are beneficiaries of the state overseas scholarship scheme left on Monday for tertiary education in the United Kingdom.

The scholarships are at the undergraduate, masters and doctorate degree levels and are intended to increase the state's manpower. Another set of 1,053 students also won scholarship to study in Nigerian universities as part of a programme that will cost the state about N1.209billion.

The state governor, Chibuike Amaechi, who was represented by the state Commissioner for Education, Alice Lawrence-Nemi, exhorted the students to be good ambassadors of the state by making proper use of the opportunity given to them.

Mrs. Lawrence-Nemi, in her own remarks, advised the students to live within their means while in the foreign land and "portray the state as not just an oil and gas producing one but a place where capacity building thrives." Chairman of Rivers State Scholarship Board, Elechi Amadi, explained that within the 17 months of the existence of the Board, it has awarded 1,053 scholarships to Rivers students in Nigerian universities, at a cost of about N209 million, while the cost of sending the 154 students to UK has gulped about one billion naira.

Amadi also said that the Board's foray into foreign institutions was informed "partly by the regrettably low educational standard in Nigeria today and partly by the need for a healthy exposure for our children, given the fact that the world is now a global village."

He encouraged the awardees to be of good behaviour, and reminded them that the state would monitor their activities closely and "will not hesitate to repatriate those who show signs of cultural or religious indoctrination and brain washing."

Transparent exercise

Patience Ezinwoke of British Council, Port Harcourt office, also reminded the beneficiaries that government's reason for sending them to UK is for them to acquire education and come back to help in building the society. "You should dream of becoming job-creators and not job- seekers when you come back." One of the awardees, Barivule Poni, praised the Scholarship Board for making the selection exercise very transparent. He said his colleagues would not disappoint the state government that has sacrificed so much to give them quality education.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/5518285-147/story.csp
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by Kobojunkie: 10:52pm On Oct 31, 2011
desertboom:

micawber and KOBO. . . It's either you both can't read well or you lack comprehension. Didn't you both saw were I wrote selfless service, am I the VC of the institution to provide people with free admission. What I mean is that I've helped by giving out valuable information to prospective students that has help them gained admission into the institution. For your information, I'm too discipline to encourage bribing and corruption not to talk of doing RUNS as both of you claimed.  Why do you want to force words out of my mouth?

um . . . I think the person with bad comprehension case here is you. Again, TYPING stuff in an INTERNET FORUM does not = stating fact. You claim it was SELFLESS, along with so many other claims you have made to this point. As before, I am asking questions of you to learn if you are even remotely trustworthy as you seem free with the claims but not equally generous when it comes to backing up claims made.

So, sorry that seeing that you typed it DOES NOT amount to my believing what you typed. ROFL  . . .  What I find funny here is how unrestricted you are with making claims but as soon as you are question, you get all defensive. Just provide us with backup for claims made. Or accept that not all persons, yes, even online are gullible enough to accept what you say as truth. grin
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by aljharem3: 10:53pm On Oct 31, 2011
@@@@@Point B

Your brothers Have answer you. Trust me brother, You are ignorant cry

enff said already
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by Francis5: 10:54pm On Oct 31, 2011
Jigawa sends 25 students to Cairo on scholarship

| Print | E-mail

Written by Adamu Amadu Tuesday, 16 March 2010

Another batch of 25 students of the Jigawa State indigenes has been sent to the University of Cairo, Egypt, by the state government to study medicine.

Addressing the students, Governor Sule Lamido said “the policy became necessary to in order to produce new specie in the new Jigawa State which will be a reference point in the country.”

Alhaji Sule Lamido said that the government would continue to pay for any best performing student in his O/level result regardless of his or her background.

The governor told the students that “the fund used to sponsor you is a money for Jigawa people. So, bear in your mind that you are going for the entire state and come back to pay them back by serving them perfectly.”

He, therefore, commended the state scholarship board for the way they selected the students on merit and called on them to continue with the good job without fear or favour.

Speaking earlier, the state Commissioner for Education, Science and Technology, Professor Rukayyatu Rufa’i, told the governor that under the present administration’s policy to sponsor 100 best students in the state to study medicine and engineering abroad, 25 students were screened to study medicine in the University of Cairo.

Professor Rufa’I said over 500 students were found with criterion of five credit in sciences including Mathematics and English, “but those ones have eight credits in both NECO and WEAC.”

The commissioner explained that everything had been put in place for the departure of the students.
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by desertboom(m): 11:12pm On Oct 31, 2011
@KOBO. . . You and your fellow enemy of progress on this platform have made me release vital info about myself just to prove my sincerity. Even if I type from now till tomorrow, I guess it wouldn't change your thought. I've said enough already and if you don't believe me because It's a public forum then go to hell.
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by Kobojunkie: 11:16pm On Oct 31, 2011
desertboom:

@KOBO. . . You and your fellow enemy of progress on this platform have made me release vital info about myself just to prove my sincerity. Even if I type from now till tomorrow, I guess it wouldn't change your thought. I've said enough already and if you don't believe me because It's a public forum then go to hell.

[table][tr]
[td]      [/td][td]Spoken like another true Nigerian im . . . . .  So, asking YOU questions to ascertain the truth of claims YOU boldly came on here to make, implies I am an enemy of progress?? And you said you are in 400 level ?  A product of the Nigerian Education System/IMSU still in charge of molding the minds of millions of our youths who are supposed to be leaders tomorrow, huh?? I am convinced now, more than ever, that money ought to go to fixing the education system that produced minds like yours. If this is what the system still produces, then every freaking kobo needs to be diverted into fixing this problem (you and others like you) ASAP~!!! ROFL [/td]
[/tr][/table]
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by manny4life(m): 11:33pm On Oct 31, 2011
desertboom:

I warned you before engaging into argument with her; again, arguing with KOBO is NOT worth it. If you will listen this time. grin grin grin
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by desertboom(m): 11:56pm On Oct 31, 2011
@KOBO. . . Yes, I tagged you enemy of progress because I've continually given you sincere answers to your questions but you've failed to see reasons and learn from popular opinion here, all you can do is asking for more and more evidence. What kind of evidence do you want? When people from Imo and beyond have repeatedly post/comment about the internship scholarship. Can't you read and draw conclusions from peoples opinion here? Why must you be quick to termed everything lies and deceit? Finally, deluded fellow like you are always in a hast to labelle Nigeria Educational system mess when you're not any better.
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by Kobojunkie: 11:59pm On Oct 31, 2011
desertboom:

@KOBO. . . Yes, I tagged you enemy of progress because I've continually given you sincere answers to your questions but you've failed to see reasons and learn from popular opinion here, all  you can do is asking for more and more evidence. What kind of  evidence do you want? When people from Imo and beyond have repeatedly post/comment about the internship scholarship. Can't you read and draw conclusions from peoples opinion here? Why must you be quick to termed everything lies and deceit? Finally, deluded fellow like you are always in a hast to labelle Nigeria Educational system mess when you're not any better.

Again . . . .

Kobojunkie:

[table][tr]
[td]      [/td][td]Spoken like another true Nigerian im . . . . .  So, asking YOU questions to ascertain the truth of claims YOU boldly came on here to make, implies I am an enemy of progress?? And you said you are in 400 level ?  A product of the Nigerian Education System/IMSU still in charge of molding the minds of millions of our youths who are supposed to be leaders tomorrow, huh?? I am convinced now, more than ever, that money ought to go to fixing the education system that produced minds like yours. If this is what the system still produces, then every freaking kobo needs to be diverted into fixing this problem (you and others like you) ASAP~!!! ROFL [/td]
[/tr][/table]

If at 400-Level, you make the claims you continue to and have no clue what it means when someone asks you for backing, then you are evidence that there is likely a serious problem in our education system and if not rectified, we are likely to continue producing more clueless beings.

For pete's sake, I even gave you an example situation to help you better process this one.  grin By the way, I did draw a conclusion on your posts, and I deem you as clueless as the many others who have at least openly admitted to being that about the real facts of this.  grin
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by EkoIle1: 12:19am On Nov 01, 2011
desertboom:

@KOBO. . . Yes, I tagged you enemy of progress because I've continually given you sincere answers to your questions but you've failed to see reasons and learn from popular opinion here, all  you can do is asking for more and more evidence. What kind of  evidence do you want? When people from Imo and beyond have repeatedly post/comment about the internship scholarship. Can't you read and draw conclusions from peoples opinion here? Why must you be quick to termed everything lies and deceit? Finally, deluded fellow like you are always in a hast to labelle Nigeria Educational system mess when you're not any better.

Saying " I don't have the facts, but this is my opinion" would have sufficed instead making compound claims that you can not back up with anything. No need to keep digging, just do the right thing and admit the obvious that you don't have any facts to base your argument on.

The world doesn't function on words of mouth, hearsays, baseless claims and opinions
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by chamber2(m): 12:31am On Nov 01, 2011
desertboom:

Who are you even trying to convince if i may ask? For what purpose even? So that she may believe you? And if she does or doesn't, will that influence the decision of the governor to send 60 imo citizens to the US, a feat which their parents could not afford? Do you know how much the former governor spent sending his relatives to Malaysia to study?

Whether feasible, wise or unwise, so long as it is something that will benefit a citizen of Imo state, rather than the bizarre that is ongoing in other states, i am completely in for it. Nairaland opinion doesn't change nothing.

Talking of you being in 400l bla bla bla. Is making silly comments on nairaland a way to measure someone's intellectual abilities? If she answers in the affirmative then she is not different from the products of Nigerian education system which she wants to denigrate.
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by chloride6: 12:50am On Nov 01, 2011
Just another way to waste govt resources.i assure you the cost of those guys is 10million per head and half of them are peddling drugs for his Hench men grin grin
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by chloride6: 12:59am On Nov 01, 2011
Just another way to waste govt resources.i assure you the cost of  those guys is 10million per head and half of them are peddling drugs for his Hench men grin grin
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by desertboom(m): 1:05am On Nov 01, 2011
@KOBO. . . Hahaha. . . I laugh at your stupidit.y. You've said nothing meaningful on this thread, all you can do is to type, quote and recycle crap every now and then just to make yourself relevant on this thread. I've every reason to say that you're mentally derange based on your senseless comment here. Why don't you check some other thread to comment if you're suffering from boredom? Always talking of Nigeria Educational system; what have you done or achieved so far with your worthless education? Does your supposed much better Education thought you how to be arrogant and senseless while exchanging/engaging conversation with people? If yes, I wouldn't want to be a product of such. Try some other time because you've failed totally. @Eko Ile. . . Maybe you failed to read through this thread. My assertions are not hearsay or baseless claims, most of my course mates are beneficiaries of this scholarship therefor, my premises are first hand information not fallacious. Please, next time read very well befor you make hasty conclusions. @manny4life and chamber . . . . Thanks, he/she will never get a reply from me again. I've said enough!
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by Kobojunkie: 1:11am On Nov 01, 2011
desertboom:

@KOBO. . . Hahaha. . . I laugh at your stupidit.y. You've said nothing meaningful on this thread, all you can do is to type, quote and recycle crap every now and then just to make yourself relevant on this thread. I've every reason to say that you're mentally derange based on your senseless comment here. Why don't you check some other thread to comment if you're suffering from boredom? Always talking of Nigeria Educational system; what have you done or achieved so far with your worthless education? Does your supposed much better Education thought you how to be arrogant and senseless while exchanging/engaging conversation with people? If yes, I wouldn't want to be a product of such. Try some other time because you've failed totally. @Eko Ile. . . Maybe you failed to read through this thread. My assertions are not hearsay or baseless claims, most of my course mates are beneficiaries of this scholarship therefor, my premises are first hand information not fallacious. Please, next time read very well befor you make hasty conclusions.    @manny4life and chamber . . . . Thanks, he/she will never get a reply from me again. I've said enough!

Again. . .  .

Kobojunkie:

[table][tr]
[/tr][/table]

Kobojunkie:

Again . . . .

If at 400-Level, you make the claims you continue to and have no clue what it means when someone asks you for backing, then you are evidence that there is likely a serious problem in our education system and if not rectified, we are likely  to continue producing more clueless beings.

For pete's sake, I even gave you an example situation to help you better process this one.  grin By the way, I did draw a conclusion on your posts, and I deem you as clueless as the many others who have at least openly admitted to being that about the real facts of this.  grin

At this point I am guessing your strategy is the typical INSULT-TO-WIN approach that so many of your Nigerian brothers employ down in Nigeria, thinking that somehow improves people's perception of who they are and how intelligent they are. Sorry, I live on the rationale end remember, and the more the insult, the more you make me realize how ill-mannered and probably ill-raised you really are. Again, the education system ought to have helped in correcting some of that but that is another story.

Keep insulting yourself, ok? When you are done fuming in the mouth and are ready to answer the simple and DIRECT questions posed over and over, let those of us adults here know. Till then . . . continue to reveal to all the sort of cloth you are made of. grin grin grin grin
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by PointB: 1:22am On Nov 01, 2011
Get a life Kobo, stop haunting the poor boy. Pick your size!
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by manny4life(m): 1:28am On Nov 01, 2011
@desertboom,

Let me help her answer your claims,

You quoted

@boneruns. . . The process was genuine and transparent, there was no nepotism or any form of favoritism during the selection process. I am a student of the state university, most of the beneficiaries are my course mates and they're doing very well academically. I am not a native of Imo State, the program may not be the best for now but I believe the Governor is trying to encourage hardwork, academic performance and most of all investing in humans by making the poor meaningful in the society. I'm trying to let boneruns and many others know that the process was clean, despite it being capital intensive for the state at this moment.    

She replied

So, are you able to provide us with some evidence of this or are we simply to take your word on this? I find it interesting that you would come out to make the claims above. I am now even more interested in understanding the selection process. Care to provide us with some real evidence of the claims you have made on this so far?

They used a standard procedure used in selecting scholarship - Anyone who wants to know about the evidence, I'll be more than glad to state how the procedure works.
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by jason123: 1:29am On Nov 01, 2011
^^^

Are you sure you want to get into this? grin grin cheesy
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by manny4life(m): 1:35am On Nov 01, 2011
jason123:

^^^

Are you sure you want to get into this? grin grin cheesy

Come on, don't we all know how she act? As much as I'm not trying to get into this, but I want to put the madness to a rest. She probably doesn't know how scholarship process work, so I want to help her explain it that it's the same process that was applied to this selection criteria.
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by scorpio1(m): 1:37am On Nov 01, 2011
@Poster , u dey kolo, what he has done will make great impact in the near future,, if u need someone to fix ur economy and schools, go talk to Jonathan, u be real ode!
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by Kobojunkie: 1:38am On Nov 01, 2011
^^^^^^ You mean the Fg should take over the public State schools/colleges??  shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by desertboom(m): 1:48am On Nov 01, 2011
@KOBO. Hahahaha. . . . Look at the "pot calling the kettle black" I'm really surprise at your comment here, you've tagged me all sorts of names too. I've nothing to regret because you deserve every of my words with the manner you've displayed above
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by iykak47: 2:44am On Nov 01, 2011
@ Alj harem, you attack me for no reason. But have you forgotten we are talking about education here not bombing or babia allah, pls check the topic, you miss road. Wetin concern aboki and tooth brush. Remember sunglass is useless to a blind man. Nonsense angry
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by Diligence: 6:38am On Nov 01, 2011
@ ndu_chuks -

Guy u just happen to b a victim of nigeria,

A visionary leader does the right thing unlike other governors and ur warped mind thinks it's a waste of money, i understand u, naturally, he shld hv misappropriated that money, i understand u (it's strange that this is happening in an irredeemably corrupt nigeria), i understand u (he shldn't hv done it) (as a typical nigeria) right? I just hv to be cynical!

Once u become a victim of nigeria, whateva result-oriented policy any leader embarks on, u think of the other side (always negative probability), u're indeed a victim of nigeria - get deliverance!

I commend Rochas, who since i heard that name, even without and within govt, has been impactg on lives positively. May he continue doing good and ignore cynics and demon-possessed victims of nigeria!
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by Echepet(m): 7:05am On Nov 01, 2011
half is beta than nothing.mr governor wouldnt av jus woke up n said he wants 2 sponsor d 60 imsu student,technical advice must av being put into place.nigerian politician are the highest paid in d world,of wch our educatn,power sector n d likes are suffering.ASUU av being complaining n wil stil go on strike.so wat r we saying.if this is the best he can start wit,y nt suport hm, mr governor pls gv ur fellow colleagues during ur meeting some good ideas 2 improve our educatn sector.
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by DrummaBoy(m): 7:05am On Nov 01, 2011
In my estimation that amounts to 0.6billion naira for allowi alone
includin travel and living expense: 1billion
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by DrummaBoy(m): 7:11am On Nov 01, 2011
1billion is about half of state monthly allocation
That I think is waste though I have praised Rochas b4 on NL
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by chamber2(m): 7:19am On Nov 01, 2011
DrummaBoy:

1billion is about half of state monthly allocation
That I think is waste though I have praised Rochas b4 on NL

Do you maths well.

60 * 10,000 USD = 600,000 USD

600,000 USD * N150 = N90, 000 000

What's the big deal spending 90m to give 60 imo citizens a new perspective to life?

Ohakim, the former gov, spent double of this amount to send his friends and relatives to world cup games in south Africa. He also sponsored another group to watch manchester UTD premiership game in UK.

Which of the two is better? Sending 60 students on exchange program in the US or sending his cronies to UK to watch premiership?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

States With The Most Beautiful Girls / High Blood Pressure Test For Drivers In Sokoto State By FRSC / Social Media: Nobody Can Gag Nigerians- Dele Momodu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.