Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,668 members, 7,854,827 topics. Date: Sunday, 09 June 2024 at 08:19 AM

Why the "Anti-Gäy Marriage Bill" is Wrong - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why the "Anti-Gäy Marriage Bill" is Wrong (15026 Views)

Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill / Anti-Same Sex Marriage Bill Scales Second Reading In House Of Reps / Same-sex Marriage Bill Is Irrevocable – David Mark (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why the "Anti-Gäy Marriage Bill" is Wrong by debosky(m): 4:09pm On Dec 11, 2011
rhymz:

Well, unfortunately for liberals like you and evil brain(lol) pre-emptive laws do not give the time and patience for proof, especially when one can easily draw examples from what is going on in places where that is the case.

Preemptive laws are prone to abuse - that's the point being made. Once you are labelled a g'ay association, you can be prosecuted, even if you have not infringed on anyone's rights. That is the problem with this law aside from being unconstitutional.

This has nothing to do with liberalism, but is a fundamental breach of the provision of the constitution guaranteeing freedom of association. You cannot criminalise exercising a fundamental human right with this type of blanket ban. As you mentioned, an armed robber's freedom of movement only gets curtailed when he robs someone else and deprives them of a right.

Are you in anyway trying to infer that the national assembly does not have the powers to make laws. Need I remind you that: (2) The National Assembly shall have power to make laws for the peace, order and good government of the Federation or any part thereof with respect to any matter included in the Exclusive Legislative List set out in Part I of the Second Schedule to this Constitution.

Is 'protection of morals' included in the exclusive legislative list? No law can be made which violates the constitution - why is that concept evading you?

Why is the national assembly legislating to ban g'ay marriages when the Supreme Court has already declared them invalid?

Well, that is the beauty of democracy, let the LGBT present their case when the Bill will be debated and during the public hearing at the lower house, if they fail to get the support of the Nigerian majority, may be they can then go to the court. And if they are still told in clear terms that their associations and coys are not allowed then everyone must respect it.

The law remains unconstitutional unless freedom of association is removed from the constitution. This law did not invest the freedom of association and hence cannot take it away - only the constitution can do that.

The beauty of democracy is respecting the laws of the land - the supreme law i.e. the constitution, prevents any other law from infringing of the rights of Nigerians to gather or form associations.

Those freedoms in the constitution may only be suspended in extraordinary circumstances like during war.
Re: Why the "Anti-Gäy Marriage Bill" is Wrong by rhymz(m): 4:25pm On Dec 11, 2011
dinachi:

Why are intentionally refusing to see the wisdom of the senate? The bill does not say man-lover people should not be involved in organisation. Lets be clear before all these nairaland man-loving-men railroad us with their lies. The bill rather prohibits any organisation or clubs formed with the aim to support, aid or promote homosexuality. @ Obinoscopy you will not go to jail for treating homosexuals but you will be affected if you form an organisation solely dedicated to promote, aid or support homosexuals in their life style. Stop muddling issues. Unless you admit by yourself that the man-lover lifestyle is extremely risky healthwise and you are suggesting they should be quarantined! Unless you are seeking to weaken the senates stand as a future springboard for full legal status for man-lover marriage in Nigeria. Lets stop deceptively aiding what we know to be wrong! It is either you are against man-lover marriage or not period any buts is a tacit support!
exactly what I am trying to let them understand. Where is the sense in saying that same-sex marriage is prohibited but you can form associations, g'ay clubs, g'ay church, have suggestive h'omosexual content in prints, artwork, media, school curriculum and so on . . . Does that not kill the very essence of the prohibitive ban on same-sex union. Just like they have done in the west and succeeded-hiding under the guise of fundamental human rights to perpetrate themselves-as their law makers and politicians pay lipservice to the issue, speak from both sides of their mouth and give contradictory remarks about homosexualism while their lobbyist agents take advantage and move their cause. Infact, I was compelled to join the debate cos Evilbrain was busy criticizing the whole essence of the bill, trying to pass it off as unimportant and a waste of time. He, in a series of posts criticized why the senate had to make it more difficult for same-sex cohabitation even before he worried about the ban that was as well extended to LGBT advocacy groups and association, in other words, he was "mad" at NA for even bringing the matter up in the first place. It was until I challenged him and moderate commentators like Debosky brought a new dimension (even though I do not entirely agree with his soft landing agrument for the LGBT) to the debate by stating that the bill would have been ok if it had not placed a ban advocacy and lobbyist group for LGBT that he started toning down his emotional outburst.
At least, we all have to a considerable extent, given reasons why we can't in a fit of emotional rage, passion or outburst entirely dimissed the need for such legislation or wholly accept it in it present form-the thought of seeing same-sex couple kissing and snogging eachother in this country feels my palate with bile, knowing how our own version of copied culture can be exaggerated in practise, it is very important that we nip it in the bud.
Re: Why the "Anti-Gäy Marriage Bill" is Wrong by rhymz(m): 4:49pm On Dec 11, 2011
debosky:

Preemptive laws are prone to abuse - that's the point being made. Once you are labelled a g'ay association, you can be prosecuted, even if you have not infringed on anyone's rights. That is the problem with this law aside from being unconstitutional.

This has nothing to do with liberalism, but is a fundamental breach of the provision of the constitution guaranteeing freedom of association. You cannot criminalise exercising a fundamental human right with this type of blanket ban. As you mentioned, an armed robber's freedom of movement only gets curtailed when he robs someone else and deprives them of a right.

Is 'protection of morals' included in the exclusive legislative list? No law can be made which violates the constitution - why is that concept evading you?

pre-emptive or not, any law is prone to abuse if you can get a good lawyer to spin it to your benefit, you can ask those LGBT advocacy groups and h'omosexuals themselves playing the victim how far such an experiment has got them. It does not explicitly term it protection of morals but the words peace and order are all inclusive in their meaning. And if you are wrongly labelled a g'ay group; who says that is tantamount to a jail term without evidence or exhaustive proof. What are the courts made for? Come on!! That is not enough reason to argue that prohibitive laws that greatly restrict this social malaise should be relaxed, abeg. My only consideration here is the constitution not the potential of the law to be spun by any evil genius lawyer to anyone's side.
debosky:

The law remains unconstitutional unless freedom of association is removed from the constitution. This law did not invest the freedom of association and hence cannot take it away - only the constitution can do that.

The beauty of democracy is respecting the laws of the land - the supreme law i.e. the constitution, prevents any other law from infringing of the rights of Nigerians to gather or form associations.

Those freedoms in the constitution may only be suspended in extraordinary circumstances like during war.
Well, it is not up to you to decide that, we will have to test it out the courts and of course the legal interpretation will do a lot to clear any doubt. When it comes to legal technicalities, no law is "unspinnable"so long as the lawyer has a very good argument to back up his claim.
Re: Why the "Anti-Gäy Marriage Bill" is Wrong by EvilBrain1(m): 5:07pm On Dec 11, 2011
rhymz:

exactly what I am trying to let them understand. Where is the sense in saying that same-sex marriage is prohibited but you can form associations, g'ay clubs, g'ay church, have suggestive h'omosexual content in prints, artwork, media, school curriculum and so on . . . Does that not kill the very essence of the prohibitive ban on same-sex union. Just like they have done in the west and succeeded-hiding under the guise of fundamental human rights to perpetrate themselves-as their law makers and politicians pay lipservice to the issue, speak from both sides of their mouth and give contradictory remarks about homosexualism while their lobbyist agents take advantage and move their cause.

What is funny about you is that you are completely oblivious of the consequences of what you are advocating. Here you are arguing for restrictions to be placed on freedom of expression and for the punishment of thoughtcrime. Have you ever heard of the concept of the slippery slope? Yeah, lets ban immoral people from gathering together. Lets gag them and exclude them from society. Lets start jailing people for thinking bad thoughts. The next thing you know you are living in North Korea.

Infact, I was compelled to join the debate cos Evilbrain was busy criticizing the whole essence of the bill, trying to pass it off as unimportant and a waste of time. He, in a series of posts criticized why the senate had to make it more difficult for same-sex cohabitation even before he worried about the ban that was as well extended to LGBT advocacy groups and association, in other words, he was "mad" at NA for even bringing the matter up in the first place. It was until I challenged him and moderate commentators like Debosky brought a new dimension (even though I do not entirely agree with his soft landing agrument for the LGBT) to the debate by stating that the bill would have been ok if it had not placed a ban advocacy and lobbyist group for LGBT that he started toning down his emotional outburst.
At least, we all have to a considerable extent, given reasons why we can't in a fit of emotional rage, passion or outburst entirely dimissed the need for such legislation or wholly accept it in it present form-the thought of seeing same-sex couple kissing and snogging eachother in this country feels my palate with bile, knowing how our own version of copied culture can be exaggerated in practise, it is very important that we nip it in the bud.

Have you ever shared a house, flat or university hostel with another man? Well the next time you do, you might end up spending a decade in jail unless you can prove you're not gäy, which is impossible. Isn't that something many people should be concerned about?

And please point out any of may posts in which I made an emotional outburst. I've gone out of my way to be polite and civil and to use logic to persuade while ignoring the many insults I've recieved. I realize how deep seated people's feeling on this issue are, but there is no excuse for refusing to think with your brain.
Re: Why the "Anti-Gäy Marriage Bill" is Wrong by Yeske2(m): 9:06pm On Dec 11, 2011
@evil brain, don't bother educating the likes of rhymz and his co-horts as they would not see beyond thier emotional  or 'moral' inclinations. Breaching of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria by the NA is worse than the bill itself. Don't understand why after sodomy has been criminalizedin this country, the NA would still come up with this bill that infringes on the rights of fellow citizens in violation of our constitution and the so called enlightened ones amongst us (nairaland)  would go on making baseless arguements, just how the holocaust happened.
Re: Why the "Anti-Gäy Marriage Bill" is Wrong by dinachi(m): 11:09pm On Dec 11, 2011
All this Nairaland gays self! Wetin concern you with the law if you are not gay. The Bible says the righteous is bold as a lion. I don't get it you are not gay but you are worried about freedom of gays to form clubs and gay organisations. Bunch of hypochrites why don't you declare your true status first. Check this out an anti gay bill is passed, gays go into overdrive seeking the gullibe and unassuming to decieve. Their weapon - human right infringement. Look, we are smarter than that period. We will not let this gay sore to fester!
Re: Why the "Anti-Gäy Marriage Bill" is Wrong by Ovamboland(m): 1:38am On Dec 12, 2011
dinachi:

All this Nairaland man-loving-men self! Wetin concern you with the law if you are not man-lover. The Bible says the righteous is bold as a lion. I don't get it you are not man-lover but you are worried about freedom of man-loving-men to form clubs and man-lover organisations. Bunch of hypochrites why don't you declare your true status first. Check this out an anti man-lover bill is passed, man-loving-men go into overdrive seeking the gullibe and unassuming to decieve. Their weapon - human right infringement. Look, we are smarter than that period. We will not let this man-lover sore to fester!

Na wah o and this guy might as well be a graduate So if a law is passed supporting cruelty to animals i can only protest it if i happen to be an animal. Or a bad law on inheritance discriminatory to widows is passed i can only protest if as a man i somehow become a WIDOW!?

Please let take sometime to think through before post daft statements on a public forum, it calls to question the quality of learning taking place in our schools.

You are smart; mo gbe o! do you have an idea how many undergraduate girls these politicians have wrecked by enticement with money? I have personally witnessed girls shipped off for you know what during my undergraduate days when a governor was in town. Yet our highly moral senate has not discussed a bill to ban this activity. if you are so smart i wonder why our country nay continent is in such a 'peculiar mess'.
Re: Why the "Anti-Gäy Marriage Bill" is Wrong by dinachi(m): 3:58am On Dec 12, 2011
Smartness to you means support to gay marriage because your master the west says so abi? This just goes on to show how gullible many people are! Trace the history of the gay movement in the US and you will begin to understand why the anti-gay marriage bill is brilliant. Get the point! The senate is trying to discourage the act in its entirety. The law would be extremely weak if they didnt extend the ban to gay associations and clubs. How did this gays recruit people like you ? Empowering gays to form associations and clubs will be counterproductive in the long run because those organisations would seek funding and co-operation abroad to upturn the bill eventually. It is all so simple if your mind is not reprobate. It is like saying the goverment should allow boko haram members to form organisations and clubs to aid, promote and support their activities because you dont want to infringe on their rights! To what end do you think it will be? More or less bombings? Allowing gays to form associations and clubs would have severly weakened that bill as it would allow them to quietly build a formidable lobby to upturn the bill. This is really so simple for natural minds to comprend very difficult though for oblique and reprobate minds to grasp!
Re: Why the "Anti-Gäy Marriage Bill" is Wrong by Relax101(m): 5:26am On Dec 12, 2011
^^^^All the gay people in the house, make una watch o!! lol

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lHI7Fd_nQM[/flash]

This guy just use style blast them as confused set of people.
Re: Why the "Anti-Gäy Marriage Bill" is Wrong by johnkent(m): 6:37am On Dec 12, 2011
Relax101:

^^^^All the man-lover people in the house, make una watch o!! lol

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lHI7Fd_nQM[/flash]

This guy just use style blast them as confused set of people.

This is the height of ignorance!!!! Because you don't understand something, doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.
I'm just gonna sit back and see how banning gay relationships in Nigeria is going to make Nigeria a much better place. Its so sad how we Africans in the west are fighting for human rights especially rights of women and children in Africa and in the middle East but our folks back home think its okay to send someone to jail for 14 years because of his/her sexual orientation.
I just wished Nigerians would sit back, relax and think this through before they make such an irrational decision. Sending gays to Jail isn't going to solve the numerous problems we have in Nigeria. Gay men will be pressured into marrying your sisters and they would still turn around and sleep with boyz on the side because that's who they are (gay).
Its unfortunate that most of you guys on here that are so convinced about how bad gays are have never been in contact with gays or lesbians. You'll be surprised to know that some of the people that you love and folks that have made huge impacts in your lives might be gay. These are humans just like us. They are not some human from outta space.
All this talk about lets send them to jail for 14 years but have you ever thought about what if your brother/sister was gay? Would you have him/her sent to jail because of their sexual orientation? Would u disown your brother because of his sexual orientation
we need to get our priorities straight. Nobody in the Nigeria gay community was asking to be married so I really dont understand why this should be an issue at this point in time. We can ban homosexuality all we want but we can't get rid of it. People are born gay and trust me, most of them that i've talked have always said if being gay was a choice, why would they even choose to be gay? And that is a question that we need to ask ourselves. Why would a good looking college basketball player choose to be gay when he could pretty much be with whatever chick he wants on campus? Why would a rich gay man do thesame?

The thing about this bill is not only does it ban gay marriage but it contains other little laws that could be used against any Nigerian. Anyone could come up tomorrow and accuse any one of us of being gay and maybe being affiliated with a gay association too and before you know it, we might be sentenced to 14 years in Jail. We have to be very careful what we wish for. There are alot of things men in Nigeria do that could be construed as a gay behavior when that usually isn't their intention but that could be used against you if this bill passes. Again, we have to be very careful what we wish for. If this bill does become law, you might be ending up in jail for hugging a friend, sharing an apartment with a friend or even holding hands with a friend of same sex like Nigerians have always done without thinking anything of it.

Guys as educated folks, we need to think this through. Don't let the members of congress up there use this bill as a way to distract us from more important issues that needs to be addressed.
When was the last time any member of congress was fired up about education, healthcare, poverty, childhood poverty, electricity, corruption, high unemployment rate? keep thinking!!
Why are they so fired up about something that's never going to change the lives of any Nigerian? Don't be fooled my fellow Nigerians. I bet ya billions of naira has been siphoned outta the country in the last month while you guys keep arguing about a non issue!

Lets be smart and not be played by the politicians.
Re: Why the "Anti-Gäy Marriage Bill" is Wrong by johnkent(m): 6:43am On Dec 12, 2011
This is the height of ignorance!!!! Because you don't understand something, doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.
I'm just gonna sit back and see how banning man-lover relationships in Nigeria is going to make Nigeria a much better place. Its so sad how we Africans in the west are fighting for human rights especially rights of women and children in Africa and in the middle East but our folks back home think its okay to send someone to jail for 14 years because of his/her intimate orientation.
I just wished Nigerians would sit back, relax and think this through before they make such an irrational decision. Sending G A Y to Jail isn't going to solve the numerous problems we have in Nigeria. G A Y will be pressured into marrying your sisters and they would still turn around and sleep with boyz on the side because that's who they are (G A Y ).
Its unfortunate that most of you guys on here are so convinced about how bad G A Y 's are but you've never been in contact with a G A Y person. You'll be surprised to know that some of the people that you love and folks that have made huge impacts in your lives might be G A Y . These are humans just like us. They are not some human from outta space.
All this talk about lets send them to jail for 14 years but have you ever thought about what if your brother/sister was G A Y ? Would you have him/her sent to jail because of their se xu al orientation? Would u disown your brother because of his se xu al orientation
we need to get our priorities straight. Nobody in the Nigeria G A Y community was asking to be married so I really dont understand why this should be an issue at this point in time. We can ban homosexuality all we want but we can't get rid of it. People are born G A Y and trust me, most of them that i've talked have always said if being G A Y was a choice, why would they even choose to be G A Y ? And that is a question that we need to ask ourselves. Why would a good looking college basketball player choose to be G A Y when he could pretty much be with whatever chick he wants on campus? Why would a rich G A Y man do thesame?

The thing about this bill is not only does it ban man-lover marriage but it contains other little laws that could be used against any Nigerian. Anyone could come up tomorrow and accuse any one of us of being G A Y r and maybe having ties to a G A Y organization and before you know it, we might be sentenced to 14 years in Jail. We have to be very careful what we wish for. There are alot of things men in Nigeria do that could be construed as a G A Y behavior when that usually isn't their intention but that could be used against you if this bill passes. Again, we have to be very careful what we wish for. If this bill does become law, you might be ending up in jail for hugging a friend, sharing an apartment with a friend or even holding hands with a friend of same sex like Nigerians have always done without thinking anything of it.

Guys as educated folks, we need to think this through. Don't let the members of congress up there use this bill as a way to distract us from more important issues that needs to be addressed.
When was the last time any member of congress was fired up about education, healthcare, poverty, childhood poverty, electricity, corruption, high unemployment rate? keep thinking!!
Why are they so fired up about something that's never going to change the lives of any Nigerian? Don't be fooled my fellow Nigerians. I bet ya billions of naira has been siphoned outta the country in the last month while you guys keep arguing about a non issue!

Re: Why the "Anti-Gäy Marriage Bill" is Wrong by rhymz(m): 8:00am On Dec 12, 2011
johnkent:

I'm just gonna sit back and see how banning man-lover relationships in Nigeria is going to make Nigeria a much better place. Its so sad how we Africans in the west are fighting for human rights especially rights of women and children in Africa and in the middle East but our folks back home think its okay to send someone to jail for 14 years because of his/her intimate orientation.
I just wished Nigerians would sit back, relax and think this through before they make such an irrational decision. Sending G A Y to Jail isn't going to solve the numerous problems we have in Nigeria. G A Y will be pressured into marrying your sisters and they would still turn around and sleep with boyz on the side because that's who they are (G A Y ).
Its unfortunate that most of you guys on here are so convinced about how bad G A Y 's are but you've never been in contact with a G A Y person. You'll be surprised to know that some of the people that you love and folks that have made huge impacts in your lives might be G A Y . These are humans just like us. They are not some human from outta space.
All this talk about lets send them to jail for 14 years but have you ever thought about what if your brother/sister was G A Y ? Would you have him/her sent to jail because of their se xu al orientation? Would u disown your brother because of his se xu al orientation
we need to get our priorities straight. Nobody in the Nigeria G A Y community was asking to be married so I really dont understand why this should be an issue at this point in time. We can ban homosexuality all we want but we can't get rid of it. People are born G A Y and trust me, most of them that i've talked have always said if being G A Y was a choice, why would they even choose to be G A Y ? And that is a question that we need to ask ourselves. Why would a good looking college basketball player choose to be G A Y when he could pretty much be with whatever chick he wants on campus? Why would a rich G A Y man do thesame?

The thing about this bill is not only does it ban man-lover marriage but it contains other little laws that could be used against any Nigerian. Anyone could come up tomorrow and accuse any one of us of being G A Y r and maybe having ties to a G A Y organization and before you know it, we might be sentenced to 14 years in Jail. We have to be very careful what we wish for. There are alot of things men in Nigeria do that could be construed as a G A Y behavior when that usually isn't their intention but that could be used against you if this bill passes. Again, we have to be very careful what we wish for. If this bill does become law, you might be ending up in jail for hugging a friend, sharing an apartment with a friend or even holding hands with a friend of same sex like Nigerians have always done without thinking anything of it.

Will you calm down and stop venting like some straight dude converted your Partner? What's all that nonsense about Africans in the west fighting for freedom . . Blablabla
how popular is the gay community amongst African Americans? Are they the darlin of everyone there. It is so insulting to hear your likes premise their intolerant argument on westerb values and try to ram down other people's throat. How many states in the US grants full rights to gay couples in civil unions, how many even allow them to get married?? Even Britain that is threatening fire & brimstone is not amongst the country that give full legal rights to gay couples, so what are you on about? You are fighting for rights in mid east and Africa?? With wat? Ak47, missiles, migs, bombs and grenades? Little wonder you lot have succeded. Look Nigeria is a sovereign state with full powers to govern herself, we don't need indoctrinated robots like you to come and tell us what is good and bad. We can argue our cases on their merits and demerits not on your terms, now run along.
Re: Why the "Anti-Gäy Marriage Bill" is Wrong by Nobody: 8:50am On Dec 12, 2011
Re: Why the "Anti-Gäy Marriage Bill" is Wrong by dinachi(m): 9:29am On Dec 12, 2011
Banning gay marriage will not help our economy but legalising it will immediately skyrocket our GDP and turn us to angels in heaven overnight! Hahaha!!! You homosexual nit wits are begining to sound pathetic and real silly! You are begining to come out gradually in your true colors. May be you were thinking Nigerians would make the same mistake the US made so you can pounce and destroy our moral heritage with your despicable orientation. Sorry bro, we are smarter here! Imagine gays trying to hide behind human right to commit their intimate deviancy.
Re: Why the "Anti-Gäy Marriage Bill" is Wrong by rhymz(m): 10:01am On Dec 12, 2011
I think i should paste some of the view points of these Nigerian dudu abroad, Wole Olabanjo, they make for some very interesting read: let me paste some of the excerpt.
Re: Why the "Anti-Gäy Marriage Bill" is Wrong by rhymz(m): 10:03am On Dec 12, 2011
THE ARGUMENT AROUND LAW AND HUMAN RIGHTS
It is important to make clear that the laws of man are not always made from the laws of science and certainly not from its hypothesis (you may also infer wild guesses) and theories; Man casts a far wider net in collecting ideas that form the basis of law and rightly so too. It is important at this point to burst the myth of universal human rights. Take for example the right to freedom of worship. It is evident that this right cannot enjoy full expression when its enjoyment conflicts with the freedom of others or even merely the preferences of others. Two quick examples; people understandably cannot be allowed to enjoy a freedom of worship that requires the sacrifice of other humans. Similarly,people (Muslim women in many European countries) are not also allowed the freedom to wear a face veil in practice of their religion even though that has no impact on the freedom of others. Also, the freedom of expression does not allow you to call a black man a nigger in America. Clearly therefore, the right that is freely enjoyable (and which is self guaranteeing) is the holding of a point of view not necessarily the expression or practice of it. Having made that clear, the trumpeters of human rights are in this case the bold-faced hypocrites. We know for instance that, most if not all jurisdictions in the west do not permit polygamy in their laws. The question might arise as to why people who are freely consenting and believe it (not that I do) to be the right thing for them should not be allowed to marry more than one partner, particularly since the concept of marriage is being redefined to allow same sex partners anyway.
rhymz:

I think i should paste some of the view points of these Nigerian dudu abroad, Wole Olabanjo, they make for some very interesting read: let me paste some of the excerpt.
Re: Why the "Anti-Gäy Marriage Bill" is Wrong by EvilBrain1(m): 10:34am On Dec 12, 2011
Look, all what you people are saying is completely beside the point. It doesn't matter how much you hate gäys, what your religion says about them or whether their actions offend your moral sensibilities.

The only thing that matters is whether gäys are human beings or not. If they are, then the constitution guarantees them certain rights which no one, not even the national assembly can deny them. This bill attempts to strip them, and those who support them those rights, therefore, it is illegal and unconstitutional. End of story!

The constitution is the supreme law. It's above the sharia fanatics' religion, and it is above your religion. The "but I hate fäggots!" argument is invalid.
Re: Why the "Anti-Gäy Marriage Bill" is Wrong by rhymz(m): 10:35am On Dec 12, 2011
For those of us who have refuse to see the impending problem that this LĞBT and their agaenda brings: here is an excerpt from a Nigerian commentator on FB about how gay freedom is taking away rights from religious bodies.
Stephen Femi Madugu: a facebook comment
Excellent Writeups all around. It's refreshing to run into a good number of ideological comrades on this issue on the web. Typically all one gets is the usual "thou shalt not judge" liberal types like Ade Thomas or on the other side thsoe who threaten fire and brimstone against homosexuality as if arguments by mere declaration, Christian or otherwise puts any matter to rest . I think Mr Olabanji has done a good job in highlighting the societal impact of granting legal sanction to gay relationships. For far too many, gay marriage is a mere abstraction with zero impact on their personal lives so they adopt the "what's my business, who am I to Judge" stance without appreciating the very real societal costs that this phenom imposes In reality gay marriage imposes very real costs on all our lives. We are already seeing here in the west that religious freedoms are being curtailed in obseisance to the gay agenda. For instance Christian charity groups in jurisdictions where gay marriage is legal are no longer allowed to engage in the adoption process if they refuse to place children with gay couples in line with the tenets of their religious or moral conviction. Christian Businesses like Eharmony are being forced by the courts to cater to Homosexual Couples or go out of busisness and Christian groups on colllge campuses are being forced to put gays in leadership or lose their ability to function. Military Chaplains are now being forced to cater to this only or resign and it's onlty a matter of time before churches 501c Tax exempt status will be outright targetted. The ramifications like healthcare are also often ignored. The liefestyle is in and of itself inherently unhealthy so it imposes a disproportionate burden on healthcare resources which is partiucularly troublesome since the same people that often push this agenda are the same ones pushing for increased economic collectivism thru universal healthcare and other forms of redistributive collectivist economic sytems. So on one hand they tell us that what they do in their bedrooms is none of our business but on the other hand they tell us that the financial costs of the medical consequences of what they do in their bedrooms belong to all of us. Other issues that people dont consider are issues like immigration policy. What happens when every Tom , and Harry decides to file for a Green Card for their gay partner ?? What impact will that have in terms of increasing the backlog and processing times? What is to stop the proliferation of fraud since any two men or women can now claim to be a in a same sex relationship even if they are not homosexuals? We are already seeing many cases like this come to our courts. If we reconfigure the legal definition of family to allow for gay coupling then what is to stop reconfiruation for any kind of polygynous permutations (2 men/3women, 1 man/4women, 4 men/1 woman) and so on and so forth with all the attendant strains on our legal system .Can you imagine the complexity of dissolving a 2man/3 women marriage in a divorce court?Especially if children are involved ? In any case thanks for this writeup Mr Olabanji and I must say am aslo particularly appreciative of your latter reference to Mr Obama (whom in my mind is probably the worst thing that has ever hapenned to black people and the future of the black race) due to his stance on this and other issues . All the best
Re: Why the "Anti-Gäy Marriage Bill" is Wrong by rhymz(m): 11:09am On Dec 12, 2011
Evil Brain:

Look, all what you people are saying is completely beside the point. It doesn't matter how much you hate gäys, what your religion says about them or whether their actions offend your moral sensibilities.

The only thing that matters is whether gäys are human beings or not. If they are, then the constitution guarantees them certain rights which no one, not even the national assembly can deny them. This bill attempts to strip them, and those who support them those rights, therefore, it is illegal and unconstitutional. End of story!

The constitution is the supreme law. It's above the sharia fanatics' religion, and it is above your religion. The "but I hate fäggots!" argument is invalid.
You are not talking to somebody you can easily browbeat by spewing lies and distortions. Show me where I have used my religious beliefs to back up any of my arguments or even say anything about hating POOFTERS. Why do you sound so angry and concerned?? Are you g'ay?? Or is the closet getting stuffy and you want to come out but this bill is threatening to take the fresh air you so badly are gasping for. You talk so much of their rights, yet my own rights and sensibilities means nothing to you, typical of a g'ay man arguing with people who diasgree with their life style or need to expand it. If you want to be g'ay it is all good but don't expect anyone to bend over for you( cos I don't trust you lots, might just stick it in the process) just because you are gay. Gay people have freedom of rights to expression not any different from those religious bodies whose freedom of expression are being curtailed every day just to accommodate the inordinate demands ans desires of your sect. Go and read all that ga'y rights nonsense to people who have been indoctrinated by the gay majority influenced western mainstream media and books. I am African, I have a mind of my own, I don't have to see things through the jaundiced lens of the west.
Re: Why the "Anti-Gäy Marriage Bill" is Wrong by rhymz(m): 11:33am On Dec 12, 2011
@ EvilBrain
Since you claimed to be in the medical profession, I thought you could make do with this medical reports on impact of homosexuality. It is a very balanced report.
By JOHN R. DIGGS JR., M.D.
THE HEALTH RISK OF GAY SEX
Introduction
Back in the early 1980s, while working at Beth Israel Hospital, I vividly remember seeing healthy young gay men dying of a mysterious disease that researchers only later identified as a sexually transmitted disease — AIDS. Over the years, I've seen many patients with that diagnosis die. As a physician, it is my duty to assess behaviors for their impact on health and wellbeing. When something is beneficial, such as exercise, good nutrition, or adequate sleep, it is my duty to recommend it. Likewise, when something is harmful, such as smoking, overeating, alcohol or drug abuse, it is my duty to discourage it. When sexual activity is practiced outside of marriage, the consequences can be quite serious. Without question, sexual promiscuity frequently spreads diseases, from trivial to serious to deadly. In fact, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that 65 million Americans have an incurable sexually transmitted disease (STD) .1 There are differences between men and women in the consequences of same-sex activity. But most importantly, the consequences of homosexual activity are distinct from the consequences of heterosexual activity. As a physician, it is my duty to inform patients of the health risks of gay sex, and to discourage them from indulging in harmful behavior.
Re: Why the "Anti-Gäy Marriage Bill" is Wrong by buty: 11:57am On Dec 12, 2011
A lot of u here are just coping d western culture, if they really do follow and respect the human rights, then they shuld legalise polygamy, cos to me a man has the right to marry more than one wife if he wants to.
Re: Why the "Anti-Gäy Marriage Bill" is Wrong by EvilBrain1(m): 12:07pm On Dec 12, 2011
rhymz:

For those of us who have refuse to see the impending problem that this LĞBT and their agaenda brings: here is an excerpt from a Nigerian commentator on FB about how man-lover freedom is taking away rights from religious bodies.
Stephen Femi Madugu: a facebook comment
Excellent Writeups all around. It's refreshing to run into a good number of ideological comrades on this issue on the web. Typically all one gets is the usual "thou shalt not judge" liberal types like Ade Thomas or on the other side thsoe who threaten fire and brimstone against homosexuality as if arguments by mere declaration, Christian or otherwise puts any matter to rest . I think Mr Olabanji has done a good job in highlighting the societal impact of granting legal sanction to man-lover relationships. For far too many, man-lover marriage is a mere abstraction with zero impact on their personal lives so they adopt the "what's my business, who am I to Judge" stance without appreciating the very real societal costs that this phenom imposes In reality man-lover marriage imposes very real costs on all our lives. We are already seeing here in the west that religious freedoms are being curtailed in obseisance to the man-lover agenda. For instance Christian charity groups in jurisdictions where man-lover marriage is legal are no longer allowed to engage in the adoption process if they refuse to place children with man-lover couples in line with the tenets of their religious or moral conviction. Christian Businesses like Eharmony are being forced by the courts to cater to Same-sex Couples or go out of busisness and Christian groups on colllge campuses are being forced to put man-loving-men in leadership or lose their ability to function. Military Chaplains are now being forced to cater to this only or resign and it's onlty a matter of time before churches 501c Tax exempt status will be outright targetted.

Rubbish! It is not a fundamental huma right to run an adoption agency, or to be a military chaplain, or to not pay taxes. No religion can give a license to break the law. If you religion does't allow you to perform the requirements of your job, then find another one.

The ramifications like healthcare are also often ignored. The liefestyle is in and of itself inherently unhealthy so it imposes a disproportionate burden on healthcare resources which is partiucularly troublesome since the same people that often push this agenda are the same ones pushing for increased economic collectivism thru universal healthcare and other forms of redistributive collectivist economic sytems. So on one hand they tell us that what they do in their bedrooms is none of our business but on the other hand they tell us that the financial costs of the medical consequences of what they do in their bedrooms belong to all of us.

Again, rubbish! Homösexuälity is not the only dangerous practice that affects public health. What about obesity? What about smoking? Both of these are far more dangerous and expensive to the public than hömösexuality. Are you suggesting that fat people should go to prison for associating with other fat people? In any case, if health were a concern, the bill wouldn't also target gäy HIV charities. Hömösèxual sèx is with a condom is actually less dangerous than hetero sèx without one in most cases.

Other issues that people dont consider are issues like immigration policy. What happens when every Tom , and Harry decides to file for a Green Card for their man-lover partner ?? What impact will that have in terms of increasing the backlog and processing times? What is to stop the proliferation of fraud since any two men or women can now claim to be a in a same sex relationship even if they are not homosexuals? We are already seeing many cases like this come to our courts. If we reconfigure the legal definition of family to allow for man-lover coupling then what is to stop reconfiruation for any kind of polygynous permutations (2 men/3women, 1 man/4women, 4 men/1 woman) and so on and so forth with all the attendant strains on our legal system .Can you imagine the complexity of dissolving a 2man/3 women marriage in a divorce court?Especially if children are involved ?

All you are describing are difficulties caused bu attempting to discriminate against gäys. There is no way to differentiate between gäys and heteros and there is no reason to dicriminate between them. Stop the discrimination and those problems will go away.

In any case thanks for this writeup Mr Olabanji and I must say am aslo particularly appreciative of your latter reference to Mr Obama (whom in my mind is probably the worst thing that has ever hapenned to black people and the future of the black race) due to his stance on this and other issues . All the best

Obama supports equal rights for hömösexuals. He certainly never advocates stripping them of constitutional rights. And whocares what he thinks anyway? Unless he has a Nigerian passport, his opinion is irrelevant.
Re: Why the "Anti-Gäy Marriage Bill" is Wrong by EvilBrain1(m): 12:20pm On Dec 12, 2011
rhymz:

@ EvilBrain
Since you claimed to be in the medical profession, I thought you could make do with this medical reports on impact of homosexuality. It is a very balanced report.
By JOHN R. DIGGS JR., M.D.
THE HEALTH RISK OF man-lover SEX
Introduction
Back in the early 1980s, while working at Beth Israel Hospital, I vividly remember seeing healthy young man-lover men dying of a mysterious disease that researchers only later identified as a sexually transmitted disease — AIDS. Over the years, I've seen many patients with that diagnosis die. As a physician, it is my duty to assess behaviors for their impact on health and wellbeing. When something is beneficial, such as exercise, good nutrition, or adequate sleep, it is my duty to recommend it. Likewise, when something is harmful, such as smoking, overeating, alcohol or drug abuse, it is my duty to discourage it. When intimate activity is practiced outside of marriage, the consequences can be quite serious. Without question, intimate promiscuity frequently spreads diseases, from trivial to serious to deadly. In fact, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that 65 million Americans have an incurable sexually transmitted disease (STD) .1 There are differences between men and women in the consequences of same-sex activity. But most importantly, the consequences of Same-sex activity are distinct from the consequences of heterosexual activity. As a physician, it is my duty to inform patients of the health risks of man-lover sex, and to discourage them from indulging in harmful behavior.

Abeg, stop copy-pasting oyimbo nonsense. HIV in Africa is predominantly spread through heterosexuäl sèx. The nature of the epidemic here is completely different from the one in the US which started in the gäy community. You might as well use the same argument to claim that hetero sèx should be banned since it spreads Human Papilloma Virus which causes cervical cancer, the number 1 cancer in Nigerian women.
Re: Why the "Anti-Gäy Marriage Bill" is Wrong by EvilBrain1(m): 12:36pm On Dec 12, 2011
rhymz:

You are not talking to somebody you can easily browbeat by spewing lies and distortions. Show me where I have used my religious beliefs to back up any of my arguments or even say anything about hating POOFTERS.

If you'd bothered to read through the thread before posting, you'd know that religion has been the most common argument used to support this bill. It was even used by David Mark on several occasions. Also, you'd also have read all the hate-filled invectives spewed out by people on your side.

Why do you sound so angry and concerned?? Are you g'ay?? Or is the closet getting stuffy and you want to come out but this bill is threatening to take the fresh air you so badly are gasping for. You talk so much of their rights, yet my own rights and sensibilities means nothing to you, typical of a g'ay man arguing with people who diasgree with their life style or need to expand it. If you want to be g'ay it is all good but don't expect anyone to bend over for you( cos I don't trust you lots, might just stick it in the process) just because you are man-lover. man-lover people have freedom of rights to expression not any different from those religious bodies whose freedom of expression are being curtailed every day just to accommodate the inordinate demands ans desires of your sect. Go and read all that ga'y rights nonsense to people who have been indoctrinated by the man-lover majority influenced western mainstream media and books. I am African, I have a mind of my own, I don't have to see things through the jaundiced lens of the west.

What, this again? Opposing discrimination against midgets doesn't make you a midget, I thought we covered that already. But if you so badly want to believe that I'm gay, then go ahead and do so, I really don't care either way. Your ad hominem attacks don't reduce the validity of my arguments. Any rational person can see that, I'm not sure why you can't.
Re: Why the "Anti-Gäy Marriage Bill" is Wrong by dinachi(m): 12:43pm On Dec 12, 2011
Evil brain is Gay, period! Everyone who dosent havd a reprobate mind knows that the gay life style is extremely risky health wise. @ Evil brain, you are not denying the medical facts presented by rymzo are you? You are so Gay! I hate cowards! You are not proud of your gayism, thats why you hide behind human rights to spew lie to attract sympathy to your insane orientation! Get it into your head gays are not welcome here!
Re: Why the "Anti-Gäy Marriage Bill" is Wrong by EvilBrain1(m): 1:21pm On Dec 12, 2011
dinachi:

Evil brain is man-lover, period! Everyone who dosent havd a reprobate mind knows that the man-lover life style is extremely risky health wise. @ Evil brain, you are not denying the medical facts presented by rymzo are you? You are so man-lover! I hate cowards! You are not proud of your gayism, thats why you hide behind human rights to spew lie to attract sympathy to your insane orientation! Get it into your head man-loving-men are not welcome here!

Show me the part of the Nairaland terms of use that prevents gäy people from posting. Then follow that up with some actual evidence that I'm gäy, preferably the type that exists outside your imagination and I'll leave this thread.

If its so hard for you to believe that someone can have empathy for his fellow human beings who are being misrepresented and oppressed, then that is your problem. But like I said, feel free to believe what you like. I don't really care. Unlike some people, I'm not ignorant enough to think calling someone gäy is an insult.
Re: Why the "Anti-Gäy Marriage Bill" is Wrong by Xfactoria: 1:35pm On Dec 12, 2011
Evil Brain:

As Fela once sang "animal wan dash me human rights". If you continue to see this as human rights violation, I will advise that you go about it by first fighting your white lords/paymasters to legalize polygamy and bigamy. If you do that successfully and they are able to bear the consequence of one man exercising his rights to marry ten women and one woman married to ten men, then you can come back and preach human rights to us. Then we in Africa/Nigeria will consider repealing the anti-man-lover laws using human rights protection as justification.

The truth is, what constitutes human rights must be defined. Have you wondered why you cannot just say anything about anybody with your mouth even when you have the right to run it anyhow? Ever heard of statements or acts that are capable of stirring up assaults being prohibited even when you have freedom of expressions? Ever heard of corruption of public morals being an assault for which you can be fined or jailed depending on its severity? As long as homosexualism would not be restricted to something that would be done indoors or in closets and it is capable of assaulting people's morals (especially when there is a general belief that this is possible) when exhibited in public, it wouldn't be out of place to outlaw it.

Another thing is, LGBTs are security threats!!! See how I'm going to prove that: It clearly violates our cultural norms and values in so much that it is capable of causing civil unrest or creating animosity among majority of citizens who sees their activities as abberations. Government should be about addressing potential problems like this from its root hence the law banning LGBTs and activities that could promote them.
Re: Why the "Anti-Gäy Marriage Bill" is Wrong by Ovamboland(m): 1:54pm On Dec 12, 2011
Evil Brain:

Show me the part of the Nairaland terms of use that prevents gäy people from posting. Then follow that up with some actual evidence that I'm gäy, preferably the type that exists outside your imagination and I'll leave this thread.

If its so hard for you to believe that someone can have empathy for his fellow human beings who are being misrepresented and oppressed, then that is your problem. But like I said, feel free to believe what you like. I don't really care. Unlike some people, I'm not ignorant enough to think calling someone gäy is an insult.

Don't mind most of the myopic posters, they can't imagine championing a cause where there is no personal benefit flowing therefrom.

That's why most of them will view political position as privilege and not service; the only intellectual opposition they will have to a politician asking for extra term is 'has he not chopped enough, it's not his turn'. Then they keep wondering why public office holders only come to bleep them.
Re: Why the "Anti-Gäy Marriage Bill" is Wrong by EvilBrain1(m): 2:05pm On Dec 12, 2011
X-factoria:

Evil Brain:

As Fela once sang "animal wan dash me human rights". If you continue to see this as human rights violation, I will advise that you go about it by first fighting your white lords/paymasters to legalize polygamy and bigamy. If you do that successfully and they are able to bear the consequence of one man exercising his rights to marry ten women and one woman married to ten men, then you can come back and preach human rights to us. Then we in Africa/Nigeria will consider repealing the anti-man-lover laws using human rights protection as justification.

The truth is, what constitutes human rights must be defined. Have you wondered why you cannot just say anything about anybody with your mouth even when you have the right to run it anyhow? Ever heard of statements or acts that are capable of stirring up assaults being prohibited even when you have freedom of expressions? Ever heard of corruption of public morals being an assault for which you can be fined or jailed depending on its severity? As long as homosexualism would not be restricted to something that would be done indoors or in closets and it is capable of assaulting people's morals (especially when there is a general belief that this is possible) when exhibited in public, it wouldn't be out of place to outlaw it.

Another thing is, LGBTs are security threats!!! See how I'm going to prove that: It clearly violates our cultural norms and values in so much that it is capable of causing civil unrest or creating animosity among majority of citizens who sees their activities as abberations. Government should be about addressing potential problems like this from its root hence the law banning LGBTs and activities that could promote them.

I've already addressed everything yo've said earlier. Read the thread from the beginning please and don't post again unless you have something original.

Also you people keep on talking about the British, the Americans and the "white lords" as if their opinions are in anyway relevant. I'm a full blooded Nigerian, I've lived most of my life here and I love my country which is why I'm spending so much time and effort defending her constitution from misguided bigots like you people and David Mark. So unless you have a picture of me collecting a cheque from Obama, I suggest you drop it.
Re: Why the "Anti-Gäy Marriage Bill" is Wrong by dinachi(m): 2:07pm On Dec 12, 2011
@Evil brain, you said you are not a christian which religiom do you practice? Liar! You will deny your faith to support gay marriage. Pathetic fellow, now that you have grudginly admitted your gay status, we now understand why you are pressing for rights to form your own gay club! Deny your beliefs, deny everything to support your insanity! Gays are not welcome in Nigeria! You are very lucky to be hiding anonymously in Nairaland to spew filth. Nobody hates gays, but we totally abhor the life style. Thats the point. Do you deny the medical facts presented by rymzo or not? Reprobates!
Re: Why the "Anti-Gäy Marriage Bill" is Wrong by dinachi(m): 2:35pm On Dec 12, 2011
Defender of the constitution, how come it is only gay rights you are fighting for. Show us where you have put up such a spirited efforts for the rights of prostitutes who are harrassed everyday by police? Where have you fought for rights of other minorities? Where have you opened a thread for against other vices? My friend stop being silly! You are suddenly a champion of rights because it involves gays. You heterophobic smallgots(you call us bigots) just dont get it. The passage of the bill enjoys massive crushing majority support. The disease demented reprobate you sent to represent you in the national assembly failed miserably. For now the only options available to your kind is exit visa to the US!

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Fayemi's Aide, Victor Kolade Using IGP Special Unit For Land Grabbing In Lagos / Only Delta, Lagos, Kaduna, Two Others Pay Pensions – PENCOM / Supporters Storm Orji Kalu's Abia Residence, Reaffirm Support For Him, APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 183
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.