Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,737 members, 7,809,826 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:33 PM

Cohabitation Before Marriage, Yes Or No - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Cohabitation Before Marriage, Yes Or No (5749 Views)

Poll: Which would you prefer

Cohabitation First: 25% (7 votes)
Straight Marriage: 75% (21 votes)
This poll has ended

10 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Indulge In Sex Before Marriage- Danceville / Cohabitation And Trial Marriage. Is It Good Or Bad? / Cohabitation: Will You Do It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cohabitation Before Marriage, Yes Or No by Nobody: 4:49pm On Dec 14, 2011
And why?
Re: Cohabitation Before Marriage, Yes Or No by Okijajuju1(m): 4:50pm On Dec 14, 2011
No!!

Over familiarity breeds contempt!

Moreover, you have the rest of your lives to live together so why rush!! angry

1 Like

Re: Cohabitation Before Marriage, Yes Or No by Eiregirl(f): 4:52pm On Dec 14, 2011
Definitely YES!!!! Because then you can really get to know your partner, their good and bad points & see if you are ready & willing to put up with the bad for the rest of your life!!!! We can make an informed choice on whether we will be able to live together for the rest of our lives and if we will able to compromise and work things out when problems arise etc.
Re: Cohabitation Before Marriage, Yes Or No by coogar: 4:54pm On Dec 14, 2011
sexkillz:

And why?

of course, yes!
with the way women lie virtually over everything these days, i wouldn't take her word for it.
i would stay with her - test her assets and find out if she's for me.

if i was buying a car, i would test drive it.
Re: Cohabitation Before Marriage, Yes Or No by Nobody: 4:55pm On Dec 14, 2011
Okija_juju:

No!!

Over familiarity breeds contempt!

Moreover, you have the rest of your lives to live together so why rush!!   angry
68% Debatable though! cool

NO for me! It's a disrespect to the institution of marriage, and marriage vows!
Re: Cohabitation Before Marriage, Yes Or No by MrCork17: 4:56pm On Dec 14, 2011
sexkillz:

And why?

What in the name of Mr Cork is this Albino whyin  about?  angry
Re: Cohabitation Before Marriage, Yes Or No by Eiregirl(f): 4:56pm On Dec 14, 2011
I'm confused, 2 people voted for cohabitation but one poster agreed with it & one disagreed with it  
Re: Cohabitation Before Marriage, Yes Or No by BABE3: 4:57pm On Dec 14, 2011
Team Cohabitation.

To see if "it's" gonna work out. You don't wanna be stuck in an unhappy marraige for the rest of your life; especially if you follow the bable.  
Re: Cohabitation Before Marriage, Yes Or No by Nobody: 4:58pm On Dec 14, 2011
Eiregirl:

Definitely YES!!!! Because then you can really get to know your partner, their good and bad points & see if you are ready & willing to put up with the bad for the rest of your life!!!! We can make an informed choice on whether we will be able to live together for the rest of our lives and if we will able to compromise and work things out when problems arise etc.
Did you date him prior to this or not? And why?
Re: Cohabitation Before Marriage, Yes Or No by Nobody: 5:01pm On Dec 14, 2011
coogar:

of course, yes!
with the way women lie virtually over everything these days, i wouldn't take her word for it.
i would stay with her - test her assets and find out if she's for me.

if i was buying a car, i would test drive it.
Since you wanna compare cars, do they let you go home with the car? For weeks, months, years before you buy? grin grin grin

Why would you even think a woman is a car? What are you to her then? Her OKADA? grin grin grin
Re: Cohabitation Before Marriage, Yes Or No by MrCork17: 5:02pm On Dec 14, 2011
***looks for matches & firewood! angry **
Re: Cohabitation Before Marriage, Yes Or No by Nobody: 5:04pm On Dec 14, 2011
BABE!:

Team Cohabitation.

To see if "it's" gonna work out. You don't wanna be stuck in an unhappy marraige for the rest of your life; especially if you follow the [i]bible[/i].  
Who is asking you to stay in an unhappy marriage?
Is it all cohabitation marriages that end up happy?
Does cohabitation guarantee a happy marriage?
Re: Cohabitation Before Marriage, Yes Or No by ArQueBusieR(m): 5:06pm On Dec 14, 2011
Yeah. It's just like writing the algorithm for a program before writing the actual source code. Or like peering into the future -marriage - through a keyhole. Very necessary. . .
Re: Cohabitation Before Marriage, Yes Or No by kelz88(f): 5:06pm On Dec 14, 2011
I would rather not cohabit but I wont rule it out either.
Re: Cohabitation Before Marriage, Yes Or No by coogar: 5:08pm On Dec 14, 2011
sexkillz:

Since you wanna compare cars, do they let you go home with the car? For weeks, months, years before you buy? grin grin grin
Why would you even think a woman is a car? What are you to her then? Her OKADA? grin grin grin

of course, they don't. . . . .i buy a car and use for 10 yrs. . . . .i could test-drive it for a week.
it's a matter of ratio. . . .i marry a woman for 60 yrs, i cohabitate with her for 2 yrs.

we are both each other's cars.
she rides me, i ride her(pardon the pun).
Re: Cohabitation Before Marriage, Yes Or No by Okijajuju1(m): 5:08pm On Dec 14, 2011
I get the whole entrapment line of arguement, but still I dont think they should live together because all they would be doing really is

And I guess I hold this opinion because divorce to me, is a clear and present option should I realize that I have erred.
Re: Cohabitation Before Marriage, Yes Or No by coogar: 5:10pm On Dec 14, 2011
Okija_juju:

I get the whole entrapment line of arguement, but still I dont think they should live together because all they would be doing really is

And I guess I hold this opinion because divorce to me, is a clear and present option should I realize that I have erred.

and for people who see divorce as a taboo or something they would rather not do. . . . .shouldn't those kind of people take more time to examine their merchandise by cohabiting?
Re: Cohabitation Before Marriage, Yes Or No by Eiregirl(f): 5:11pm On Dec 14, 2011
sexkillz:

Did you date him prior to this or not? And why?

Yes I dated him prior to this. Why? Because we were attracted to one another & wanted to get to know each other better but you can't get to know the REAL person by just dating. When you're living with each other, sleeping & waking up with each other every day. Sharing your space, bills etc is not an easy task. I just think cohabiting is a good thing before marriage. It may not be for everyone or it may not suit everyone but for me, I agree with it 100%.
Re: Cohabitation Before Marriage, Yes Or No by Nobody: 5:15pm On Dec 14, 2011
kelz88:

I would rather not cohabit but I wont rule it out either.
Kelz! Why are you this diplomatic sef? Lingering on 2 opinions? Choose one and give reasons why biko! angry
Re: Cohabitation Before Marriage, Yes Or No by coogar: 5:16pm On Dec 14, 2011
Eiregirl:

Yes I dated him prior to this. Why? Because we were attracted to one another & wanted to get to know each other better but you can't get to know the REAL person by just dating. When you're living with each other, sleeping & waking up with each other every day. Sharing your space, bills etc is not an easy task. I just think cohabiting is a good thing before marriage. It may not be for everyone or it may not suit everyone but for me, I agree with it 100%.

you are making sense. . . . .

living together presents the chance to see just how equal you are with your partner.
the question of who pays the bills, who controls the tv remote, who cleans the bathroom or who does laundry is quickly answered.

the outcome is an important piece of information for you to know about your partner. if you are lucky, your partner values equality and if he or she does not, at least you learned it before walking down the aisle with them rather than knowing after it's too late to walk away.
Re: Cohabitation Before Marriage, Yes Or No by Nobody: 5:18pm On Dec 14, 2011
coogar:

of course, they don't. . . . .i buy a car and use for 10 yrs. . . . .i could test-drive it for a week.
it's a matter of ratio. . . .i marry a woman for 60 yrs, i cohabitate with her for 2 yrs.

we are both each other's cars.
she rides me, i ride her(pardon the pun).
Are you saying that marriages without cohabitation fail?
Re: Cohabitation Before Marriage, Yes Or No by BABE3: 5:19pm On Dec 14, 2011
sexkillz:

Who is asking you to stay in an unhappy marriage?

The bible.  grin It says I can seek for a divorce only in these situations : Infidelity and death.

sexkillz:

Is it all cohabitation marriages that end up happy?

Of course not. I'm not saying everyone should co-habit. It's a matter of choice.

sexkillz:

Does cohabitation guarantee a happy marriage?

No. No guarantee. However, it increases the probability of a happy marriage.

The longer you stay with someone, the more the "bad" comes out in them, and the quicker you are able to find a solution to the "bad". If you can't, you back out.  
Re: Cohabitation Before Marriage, Yes Or No by kelz88(f): 5:19pm On Dec 14, 2011
Hahaha!

Killz, I just don't like judging or condemning stuff especially when there's no harm in it. I don't want to rule it out cos I might find myself cohabiting tomorrow, who knows! And what happened to "don't knock it until you've tried"?

sexkillz:

Kelz! Why are you this diplomatic sef? Lingering on 2 opinions? Choose one and give reasons why biko! angry
Re: Cohabitation Before Marriage, Yes Or No by coogar: 5:21pm On Dec 14, 2011
sexkillz:

Are you saying that marriages without cohabitation fail?

marriages without cohabitation are more likely to fail!
if you apply common sense, it's very obvious.
Re: Cohabitation Before Marriage, Yes Or No by Nobody: 5:23pm On Dec 14, 2011
Eiregirl:

Good points! Are you ruling out the possibility of knowing you thoroughly, like say date for 2/3 years, and i wont notice those flaws? Is it the initial fear of commitment? Cant you share bills and all that stuff after getting married, and you are committed to making the marriage work?
Re: Cohabitation Before Marriage, Yes Or No by kelz88(f): 5:25pm On Dec 14, 2011
Killz, looks like you are ready for every shock you get after marriage.
Re: Cohabitation Before Marriage, Yes Or No by Nobody: 5:30pm On Dec 14, 2011
BABE!:

The bible.  grin It says I can seek for a divorce only in these situations : Infidelity and death.

Did the bible write the Marriage vows for the country? When you are reciting the marriage vows, are you reading the bible? Why are you attacking the bible, and using it as a defence for cohabitation, when it is by this same bible you will swear on your eventual marriage day after cohabiting, to live by, and abide by the marriage vows you were initially running away from?

Of course not. I'm not saying everyone should co-habit. It's a matter of choice.

Thank you! That's the point of the whole thing. Let's see which outweighs the other!

No. No guarantee. However, it increases the probability of a happy marriage.

The longer you stay with someone, the more the "bad" comes out in them, and the quicker you are able to find a solution to the "bad". If you can't, you back out.  
How? Does familiarity breed contempt or not? Does that contempt tend to grow faster or not, especially when you know you can always hightail?
Re: Cohabitation Before Marriage, Yes Or No by Nobody: 5:35pm On Dec 14, 2011
kelz88:

Hahaha!

Killz, I just don't like judging or condemning stuff especially when there's no harm in it. I don't want to rule it out cos I might find myself cohabiting tomorrow, who knows! And what happened to "don't knock it until you've tried"?
kelz88:

Killz, looks like you are ready for every shock you get after marriage.
My dear diplomat! You are in support of cohabitation, so pls come out of the closet! cheesy BTW, what do you mean by Dont knock until you've tried? Tried what?
Re: Cohabitation Before Marriage, Yes Or No by Nobody: 5:40pm On Dec 14, 2011
coogar:

marriages without cohabitation are more likely to fail!
if you apply common sense, it's very obvious.
It looks so, but it's not! Cohabitation makes you give up easily! Marriage on the other hand makes you committed to making it work! Would you change your car every time it had a fault?
Re: Cohabitation Before Marriage, Yes Or No by kelz88(f): 5:42pm On Dec 14, 2011
sexkillz:

My dear diplomat! You are in support of cohabitation, so pls come out of the closet! cheesy BTW, what do you mean by Dont knock until you've tried? Tried what?
Tried it. . . duhh! What else would I be referring to?!

I'm not for or against. I would rather date, get engaged and marry. But that's me.
Doesn't mean my marriage will last longer than X that co-habits, or not.

Things like this don't bother me. It's their choice. I'm in no position to condemn it. If they're happy then, good for them.
Re: Cohabitation Before Marriage, Yes Or No by kelz88(f): 5:43pm On Dec 14, 2011
sexkillz:

It looks so, but it's not! Cohabitation makes you give up easily! Marriage on the other hand makes you committed to making it work! Would you change your car every time it had a fault?
Ye, cos marriage is like a prison hahaha.

The guy will be less likely to leave even though he is very unhappy. How is this better than cohabiting?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I Don't Have Feelings For Boyz Again, But Im Nat A Lez Oooooo / 9 Reasons Why You Shouldnt Think About Dating A Fat Girl / How To Start Touching Her Boobs And Ass And Sex Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.