Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,286 members, 7,815,486 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:10 PM

So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? (21417 Views)

Obiano Visits Mosque Which Was Attacked During The Protest In Onitsha (Photos) / These Are Four Key Factors That Will Determine Buhari's Success Or Failure / Nine Indices That Determine Political Success Or Failure In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by wealth123: 10:38pm On Jan 09, 2012
@Lasinoh

Who dash you VISA to America? your IQ needs serious development becos your posts are devoid of sound reasoning and knowledge of simple rudiments of modern social relationships. U JUST POST TRASH AND CONTRIBUTE NOTHING FOR INTELLECTUAL CONSUMPTION. I PITY U.
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by Obiagu1(m): 10:38pm On Jan 09, 2012
alj harem:

That was why he supports the removal of subsidy

ETHNIC BIGOT.

No, rather say that's the reason you are protesting because you want to protect the oil thieves in your region. Talk of supporting corruption and you want Nigeria to be better.

The protest is ethnically motivated because no sane person would protest against a sound policy.
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by aljharem(m): 10:39pm On Jan 09, 2012
Obiagu1:

No, rather say that's the reason you are protesting because you want to protect the oil thieves in your region. Talk of supporting corruption and you want Nigeria to be better.

Mumu person. This is what tribalsim can cause, it makes people have a very low IQ

It seems after all the talk, shouting, teaching, lecture, protest, educating, directing, etc people are doing, some people still don't know why people are angry

1. Yes the system/ government is corrupt. In fact the country is teeming in corruption

2. Yes subsidy has to go and everyone supports the FG for that

3. Before the removal of subsidy, build our refinery so we would not have this same issue in the future. If we have our refineries working, we would not be paying subsidy to anyone and we can control the prices of our crude oil as a Nation.

4. Before removal of subsidy , CUT THE COST OF GOVERANCE not just by 25% because the bulk of the money made in government is not through salaries but be over PRICED projects. An average senator in Nigeria collects more than Obama the american president.

5. Now remove subsidy.

Other things people are protesting for because it was a build up of anger since 1970 and this was the opportunity for a revolution are

1. protest against corruption and the arrest of these people

2. protest against boko haram and killing of Christians/igbos

3. protest against the NEGLIGENT of the Niger-delta

4. Building of the Niger Bridge. Must the bridge collapse before we maintain and build the next ? Since we can save lives, why not do it now.

Now what is the point of thinking ahead when there is still corruption and non-accountability in the government ?

What is the point of thinking ahead when the next administration would tell us about removal of subsidy again ?

IS THINKING AHEAD NOT BUILDING OF REFINERIES ?

Is thinking ahead not protesting against corruption ?

In Nigeria today, we have No light, No security, No shelter, No good roads, No good water, No refinery even though we are oil producing, Total neglect of infrastructure, Total neglect of the Niger-delta, Total neglect of the Niger bridge, Total neglect of people dying in the North, Lack of accountability, Lack of credibility, Lack of industrial growth apart from Oil which the entire country is dependant on, Lack of economic growth apart from the telecommunication sector by OBJ.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would also what to use this medium to address people thinking it is an ethnic thing.

I have heard various people saying the protest is against "GEJ" "minority" and other sentimental words to describe the protest.

I would like to educate the people about the politics behind what is happening according to my understanding and I would really appreciate if I can also learn more from other posters home and abroad.

In 2010, Sanusi made speech to the House of reps (HOR) that they were thieves and they are the ones sucking Nigeria dry due to the huge sum of money paid to them monthly. The HOR shut him down and called him all sort of names.

In 2011, Sanusi during the channels debate said 1.6 trillion naira is paid to this people out of 1.8 trillion naira thus 200 billion Naira is left for development of the country.

This people are the senator, governors, HOR, HOA, chairmen and the business men that were labelled as oil benefit thieves.

Now people Imagine 200 billion left for 150 million people in 36 states out of total of 1.8 trillion Naira. Yes I am sure people would agree with me that subsidy has to go !!!!

All am doing here is to make people political aware of the situation right now and lets not forget the Iweala and the IMF factor.

Now people are NOT and I repeat NOT angry at the removal of the subsidy I mean at such rate the paying of subsidy is not sustainable. It has to go at one point or the other, either through GEJ or the next administration. Yes I respect GEJ and Sanusi for thinking ahead of time. That is very commendable but the Issues that cause the subsidy corruption are not yet addressed.

In the future the issue would come up again so what is the point ?.
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jan 09, 2012
ehie:

whats all this fruitless debate we have become saddled with on nairaland.u say failure i say not.its done and over with.the thing is that we have been waitin for things to change and u being your ogar eye and ears only come here to incite,demoralise and lie to us.
What more do u want from us.u kill us,steal from us,destroy us and divide us,what wrong have the nigerian pple done to u that you inflict us daily with grievances.
We have supported u guys,prayed 4 u in churches and mosques that GOD would touch your hearts
u arent satisfied till u c us in rags?is that it?
We are not askn 4 schools,healthcare,justice,or jobs.we are askn that u let us manage our lives because we are rock bottom.just leave us the way u came and met us if u have no intention of helpn us
Eyaaaa sowieeeeee
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by DanKan0: 10:40pm On Jan 09, 2012
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by Nobody: 10:41pm On Jan 09, 2012
alj harem:

Mumu person. This is what tribalsim can cause, it makes people have a very low IQ

It seems after all the talk, shouting, teaching, lecture, protest, educating, directing,  etc people are doing, some people still don't know why people are angry

Stop spamming this forum or I will be forced to Ddos you.
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by humblebee: 10:42pm On Jan 09, 2012
Beaf:

#Occupy! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Fail.
Mentally lazy people.

grow up boy, defend this policy with brains and facts not insults
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by dayokanu(m): 10:42pm On Jan 09, 2012
Huge success
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by Obiagu1(m): 10:43pm On Jan 09, 2012
alj harem:

with that said, it is a sound policy and is anyone arguing ?

Only a promoter of corruption and a tribal bigot will protest against a sound policy.
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by aljharem(m): 10:43pm On Jan 09, 2012
[size=18pt]Dr. Dozie Ikedife And Other Igbo Leaders, Praise Goodluck Jonathan For Removing Fuel Subsidy[/size]

[img]http://news2.onlinenigeria.com/thumbnail.php?file=banners/igbosleavingnorth_616642311.jpg&size=article_medium[/img]

A former  Dr. Dozie Ikedife and other Igbo leaders yesterday drummed up support for President Goodluck Jonathan over the controversial removal of fuel subsidy.

Addressing journalists at Oba, Idemili South council area of Anambra State, Ikedife said the major problem was because the Federal Government failed to explain the action to the masses.

He maintained that despite the protests that had greeted the Federal Government’s action, proper efforts should have been made to address the devastating effects of the removal of subsidy from fuel.

“We are deprived of the information and that has made us lack comments as it regards the removal of fuel subsidy because most of the people in the country do not understand what removal of fuel subsidy means”.

According him, the country had come to the point of retrogression, adding that Nigeria had relied on smaller countries for refining of its petroleum products.

“What we are witnessing in the country today was what we had witnessed in the past when the British would come and tell us how much they want to buy our crude oil and we will say okay. They will also tell us how much we should sell our cocoa and we will say okay and when they went back to Liverpool, they refined it into bournvita and other things and came back to tell us how much we must buy them, and we said ok.”

Also speaking, Chief Rommy Ezeonwuka threw his weight behind the Federal Government, describing the action as victory against monopoly of fuel benefit by few individuals.

http://news2.onlinenigeria.com/latest-addition/132429-dr-dozie-ikedife-and-other-igbo-leaders-praise-goodluck-jonathan-for-removing-fuel-subsidy.html
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by najoke: 10:43pm On Jan 09, 2012
VULCAN:

Listened to one of the serving House Of Reps members speaking at the NLC rally in Abuja. He said that when they asked Jonathan to explain how come fuel subsidy jumped to N1.2 Trillion when only N250 Billion was budgeted; that Jonathan said it was a cabal. They asked him who are those in this cabal. Then Jonathan said he wud send the names to them. Then he said that the next day Jonathan travelled to France with the cabal members on his entourage.

He is saying what everyone who is truthful to himself and who will stand before God one day also knows. The cabal eats and sleeps with Jonathan and made very heavy donations to his election. Anybody who opens his mouth to say that these people are faceless just because they are benefitting from this govt will repeat these words at the Gates of Heaven.

For those of you who dont know the cabal members you can go here: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-816623.0.html  This lists those who collect subsidy. The remaining members are a few government officials in NNPC, PPRA, DPR, Min of Petroleum and The Presidency.

Because I am involved in the oil and gas industry i also know dat a few of these guys have been promised Refinery licenses but the condition they gave was that the subsidy must go first. This is evil cause it will take a minimum of 18 months on average to put up a Refinery (this is in countries where things work it will probably take longer here!) So they want us to pay N141-N200 for that long.

The bible says "woe unto you when your king is a child"

So thats the woe we are experiencing. A man that has no experience whatsover in leading men. He studied Zoology so all his academic knowledge prepared him for dealing with animals. Even while he was a Gov. he was taking orders from Alams who had been disgraced out of office. What a shame. Let him cut down on his feeding and kitchen equipment. To budget N75m to refit your kitchen in Nigeria is insanity. Especially when we all know that the kichen will be refitted again next year.

I know that some people are saying that this is a fuel subsidy removal battle: actually its a protest against a father who tells his children that they have to stop eating delicacies cos he is not making enough money then goes on to order champagne and caviar in their presence while stopping them from eating chicken.

Gbam

@Beaf,Leomax and friends

Over to una
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by Beaf: 10:44pm On Jan 09, 2012
ehie:

whats all this fruitless debate we have become saddled with on nairaland.u say failure i say not.its done and over with.the thing is that we have been waitin for things to change and u being your ogar eye and ears only come here to incite,demoralise and lie to us.
What more do u want from us.u kill us,steal from us,destroy us and divide us,what wrong have the nigerian pple done to u that you inflict us daily with grievances.
We have supported u guys,prayed 4 u in churches and mosques that GOD would touch your hearts
We are not askn 4 schools,healthcare,justice,or jobs.we are askn that u let us manage our lives because we are rock bottom.just leave us the way u came and met us if u have no intention of helpn us

Were you on TV? I wanted to see. embarassed
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by DanKan0: 10:44pm On Jan 09, 2012
VULCAN:

Listened to one of the serving House Of Reps members speaking at the NLC rally in Abuja. He said that when they asked Jonathan to explain how come fuel subsidy jumped to N1.2 Trillion when only N250 Billion was budgeted; that Jonathan said it was a cabal. They asked him who are those in this cabal. Then Jonathan said he wud send the names to them. Then he said that the next day Jonathan travelled to France with the cabal members on his entourage.

Welldone sir  cool Most Nigerians know this hence the outrage  cool cool cool .
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by BlackBaron: 10:44pm On Jan 09, 2012
Surely a protest about government costs, corruption, Boko Haram's scourge and the Security Services disregard for human lives would make more sense.

Zombie Protesters  angry

No doubt not hiding the fact too the stupid government pulled the rug from under the masses foot when they weren't looking  undecided
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by aljharem(m): 10:45pm On Jan 09, 2012
Obiagu1:

Only a promoter of corruption and a tribal bigot will protest against a sound policy.

Now you have to agree with me that you are sounding more stu.pid by the minute

who is against the removal of subsidy ? dude the country supports it but the timing and lack infrastructures and lies is the casue of the protest along side other things

STOP POSTING DUMB THINGS. YOU BIGOT
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by Nobody: 10:45pm On Jan 09, 2012
[size=15pt]The AIM was defeated, Of 150m Nigerians about 10000 came out across the nation, in democracy, that's a complete failure.[/size]
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by stiyke(m): 10:45pm On Jan 09, 2012
alj harem:

In Nigeria today, we have  No light, No security, No shelter, No good roads, No good water, No refinery even though we are oil producing, Total neglect of infrastructure, Total neglect of the Niger-delta, Total neglect of the Niger bridge, Total neglect of people dying in the North, Lack of accountability, Lack of credibility, Lack of industrial growth apart from Oil which the entire country is dependant on, Lack of economic growth apart from the telecommunication sector by OBJ.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How about a protest at the doors of the past rulers that put us in this mess?? Ever thought of that??
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by humblebee: 10:46pm On Jan 09, 2012
the first  time i lost faith in GEJ was when he avoided debates and yet honored an interview with an entertainer. what kinda leader does that?
and now i question his academic achievements and over-hyped intelligence, he looks like a dummy in hat to me. he was fed with the police of subsidy removal and this is why he didnt know what should come first. he's just incompetent simple and some silly dolts like Beaf has never seen anything wrong with a government that eats with a billion naira annually claiming Nigeria is broke, what a shame
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by muami(m): 10:46pm On Jan 09, 2012
The Nigerian stock exchange was open today so the 'big' men bought more shares. Crude oil was exported today so the govt made more money. International flights in and out Nigeria operated so the 'big' were able to fly in and out. The 'big' man's businesses are insured so he would claim compensation froom his insurers for any loss he may suffer. The 'poor' man went with NLC(who by the way would still collect their salary by month end) to 'occupy' some parts of Nigeria. I don't know about success or failure but it is definitely the masses who lost today especially the unemployed protesters!
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by aljharem(m): 10:46pm On Jan 09, 2012
stiyke:

How about a protest at the doors of the past rulers that put us in this mess?? Ever thought of that??

Are the past rulers not the reason why GEJ is there ?

Why can't GEJ arrest this people since they messed up the country

GEJ called IBB has father, is that the sort of president we have

and yes I have given it a hard thought and YES CORRUPT ENDS THIS YEAR. INSHA ALLAH
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by babaowo: 10:48pm On Jan 09, 2012
even JEG said protest is worst than civil war.
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by humblebee: 10:48pm On Jan 09, 2012
LeoMax:

[size=15pt]The AIM was defeated, Of 150m Nigerians about 10000 came out across the nation, in democracy, that's a complete failure.[/size]

don't be too fast to conclude pudding head , you dont expect everyone to come out the first day. common, are you dis daft. didn't you see how it started in Tunisia and other Arab countries. did they all come out the first day?
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by muyoto: 10:50pm On Jan 09, 2012
ehie:

apparently 'they' are not . .  cry cry
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by Nobody: 10:50pm On Jan 09, 2012
The government says it will spend the $8bn (£5bn) it saves each year by scrapping the subsidy on improving health, education and the country's erratic electricity supply.

However, many Nigerians fear it is more likely to end up in the pockets of corrupt officials. GBAM!
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by MT: 10:51pm On Jan 09, 2012
The protest today was a HUGE success. Read Mark Nobel's (BBC Journalist) analysis of today's strike :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-16464922

Mark Lobel

BBC News, Lagos

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thousands of people at a mass rally in Lagos are screaming and singing out against the fuel subsidy removal they say is totally unfair.

The protests are gathering pace - and the unions say the strike will go on indefinitely.

"Bad luck Jonathan," many of the protesters cry. They have a point.

The timing could not be worse for President Goodluck Jonathan, who said his fight against militant Islamists of Boko Haram in the north, who have recently killed dozens of Christians, is worse than the country's civil war in the 1960s.

He even suggested government officials may be secret members of the group.

It was the president who chose the timing of this fuel fight but it may be that the growing unrest in the north forces his hand in this struggle too.

He cannot afford state resources being stretched for too long while the attacks in the north continue
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by stiyke(m): 10:51pm On Jan 09, 2012
alj harem:

Are the past rulers not the reason why GEJ is there ?

Why can't GEJ arrest this people since they messed up the country

GEJ called IBB has father, is that the sort of president we have

and yes I have given it a hard thought and YES CORRUPT ENDS THIS YEAR. INSHA ALLAH

AMEN to the bolded. Capital AMEN to that. And Kudos to GEJ should he be able to pull that by year end!!!! Its good you are joining the progressive train bro harem
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by Nobody: 10:51pm On Jan 09, 2012
humblebee:

don't be too fast to conclude pudding head , you dont expect everyone to come out the first day. common, are you dis daft. didn't you see how it started in Tunisia and other Arab countries. did they all come out the first day?
[size=15pt]
Kai this insult pain me o.  I will wait tomorrow and see how 75million plus 1 Nigerians will come out to protest. As it is, its a Complete Democratic failure or I dont know how to rate it in Cabalocrazy o[/size]
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by manny4life(m): 10:51pm On Jan 09, 2012
Me I don't know if t was success or not, what I do know is they could protest for something a lil more better, CORRUPTION. Knowing fully well that NASS doesn't want to investigate this CABALS, that should be the true protest. Government waste should be the real issue, although subsidy affects everyone, me think that they could have use the same opportunity to protest for thing further ailing and crippling the country.
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by MAYOWAAK: 10:53pm On Jan 09, 2012
For fear of being overthrown this week, GEJ cluelessly rushed and increased the salaries of our military and back dated it to Sept 2011, Oga Jona, your time is up. It is the people that will push you out.
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by Beaf: 10:55pm On Jan 09, 2012
manny4life:

Me I don't know if t was success or not, what I do know is they could protest for something a lil more better, CORRUPTION. Knowing fully well that NASS doesn't want to investigate this CABALS, that should be the true protest. Government waste should be the real issue, although subsidy affects everyone, me think that they could have use the same opportunity to protest for thing further ailing and crippling the country.

Exactly! People have to be unthinking to go protesting at the removal of a keyhold of corruption, instead of protesting corruption and Nigeria's myriad other fundamental ills.
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by manny4life(m): 10:55pm On Jan 09, 2012
MAYOWAAK:

For fear of being overthrown this week, GEJ cluelessly rushed and increased the salaries of our military and back dated it to Sept 2011, Oga Jona, your time is up. It is the people that will push you out.

Yeah, Oga Jona made an untimely decision but are you the one that will overthrow him?
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by MAYOWAAK: 10:56pm On Jan 09, 2012
My take on today's protests:
It was the best general strike ever in our country. Peaceful, but marred by some trigger-happy policemen in Lagos and Kano.
It enjoyed nationwide support and participation, including the president's home state of Bayelsa.
The turn-out of people, in Lagos, Abuja and Kano, Ibadan was unprecedented. Never in all my years of existence have I witnessed the passionate crowd I saw today on the streets of Lagos.
I am now convinced Nigerians were not boasting that they really wanted to stage their own version of Arab Spring.
I only hope President GEJ will listen to the cries of his people and give them what they want, that is, reverse the price of petrol to N65 and then deal with the gargantuan corruption governing the whole racket and absurdity of petrol importation by Africa's largest crude oil producer.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

I’m Being Prosecuted For Old Grievances – Dasuki / Ganduje Demands Apology From Kwankwaso Over Comments On Buhari / "Buhari Didn't Invite Naomi Campbell To Eko Atlantic City Launch"- Bashir Ahmaad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.