Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,482 members, 7,816,141 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:24 AM

Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied (11544 Views)

Buhari Meets With Bill Clinton & Gates In New York / Buhari Orders Probe On How ISIS Leader Got Nigerian Visa / Nigerian Visa Goes For A Dollar In 13 Countries - Punch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by Jakumo(m): 4:44am On Oct 09, 2007
Big B1:

Jakumo, when are you finally going to buy your own car?

I am flattered by your worried concern regarding my mode of transport Big Bee.    Now this is very heart warming.

You will be glad to hear that thanks to the inversion layer of hot air billowing out of your all-knowing mouth, I have been able to get airborne in a hot-air balloon on those rare days when Juju teleportation modalities are not possible due to meteorological conditions in the upper stratosphere.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by Gidij(m): 7:20am On Oct 09, 2007
Nigerians! Nigerians! Hmmmm!

Who is Bill Gate? In the eyes of the American law, he is not different from anybody. He understands that, but Nigerians don't because we are used to worshipping money.

One member of the forum said : "This is a man that can single-handedly pay off our national debt". What an error in judgement!
I would like to let you know that the man CANNOT. His country is broke!

So, you expect a man who has not paid off his own national debt to pay off yours, or you are not aware that America is the greatest debtor in the world now; they are even indebted to Brazil.

All the money Bill Gate has, multiplied by a hundred cannot pay off 10% of America's debt. Check http://mwhodges.home.att.net/nat-debt/debt-nat.htm
Since september 29 2006, it is estimated that America's debt increases by $ 1.47 billion per day
http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/
How much is Bill Gate worth?

Coming back to the immigration issue. America would not allow you into their country without proper documentation, even if you are Dangote, why should we allow others into ours when they have not met the requirement?
For further research http://www.globalresearch.ca/articles/FRA501A.html
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by texazzpete(m): 7:27am On Oct 09, 2007
Bill Gates is not an 'ordinary man'. I mean, he's flesh and blood like all of us, but if you read this
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3913581.stm
you'll find out that he's a hero, and heroes are not just 'ordinary people'.

Funny how i don't see *any* nigerian giving out billions of naira to charity. This man has funded research in infant diseases, tuberculosis and other life-threatening ailments around the world. He runs by far the biggest charity in the world. He does things that you and i would not do even if we had his money.
So you may rant and rail all you want, but remember that true heroes are larger than life.

Finally, the article didn't say he wrongly filled in his visa application, or that he tried to illegally enter Nigeria. I'm pretty sure not all countries ask for your bank statement when you're requesting a Visa, so not including it must have been a temporary oversight.

Initially denying the Visa isn't what makes this stupid. It's the line about "knowing if he would remain in the country and moochin gon our 'social services'" that cracks everybody up.

A simple 'Nigerian law requires all Visa applicants to append their Bank Statements to their Visa applications. Please reapply with the required document' is not only polite, it's professional.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by Gidij(m): 7:45am On Oct 09, 2007
Bill Gate is not giving more than you give. Check the percentage of what you are able to give to friends and loved ones against your income, then compare what Gate gives against his total worth.

Why does he give? the joy of money is in the spending.

Back to th issue of immigration, if the Nigerian law requires proof of exit or duration of stay, every person requesting entrance into the nation should comply, and those we empowered to enforce the law have done what they are paid for.

It may look funny that they requested for proof knowing who he is, but don't forget the Nigerian embassy that drew his attention to the ommission is located in the US. In US, there is no personal recognition when it comes to matters of the law, everybody submits to it.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by egoldman(m): 8:04am On Oct 09, 2007
Its now clear that some Nigerians can sell their souls and dignity for money , bill gates must follow same rules like everyone to obtain Nigerian visa , if he fails to do that in anyway, be it by not filling forms correctly or not giving his bank account details, then he should rightfully be denied the visa , you can call it oversight or whatever you like , but remember others that might make such mistake cannot be said not to be an oversight too, the bottom line is this , Nigerian consulate must not treat bill gates differently cos even America his country does not do that .
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by sergio(m): 8:22am On Oct 09, 2007
Mind You, Bill Gates is not the world's second richest man, according to forbes magazine, march edition, he is still the worlds' richest man, valued at about $56b, he is rightly followed by Warren Buffet of Berkshire Hathaway with about $52b.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by follyg: 8:35am On Oct 09, 2007
Al fayed has invested so much in England, yet he still has to apply for Uk Visa. The rule must be satisfied at all times not minding the person in question. Nigerian students applying for visa with all the evidences and full payment of school fees are been turned down daily at the embassies. Bill Gates foundation is a charity organisation, we dont have to necessarily bend our rules because of its countribution. Before bill gates Foundation, there are others and after him there will be others. In actual fact, its a synegy afterall he makes money from Africa also

As for porous borders, every country has it, America is full of illegal immigrants from all over north and south america just like Nigeria is full of immigrants from Sister african countries so no big deal. Same apply to Uk. Even German journalist lied to obtain Nigeria Visa

Who says Bill Gate cannot have interest in Nigeria, as a Business man, they turn our deficiencies to there advantage. Nigeria is a land of opprtunity for the versatile business men.

In these days of Terrorist and spy we really need to be careful afterall we now have a spy who loved us in Dr(mrs) Judith Asuni.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by follyg: 8:39am On Oct 09, 2007
@seun
I strongly disagree, bill gate cannot pay our national debt. Networth is not the same with cash at hand. His $54billion include all he has with structures and company.More often all this ratings are not based on hard facts, dont let us be deceived all that glitters is not Gold. Morever His own country is still wallowing in debt that will not be paid till eternity.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by presido1: 9:00am On Oct 09, 2007
If the western countries need US citizens to get a via b4 coming to their country, i do not think they will give you visa on the ground that you are Bill gate or Stan Kronke. The rules must be adhered to strictly.

Thousands of Nigerians are denied visa on daily bases to enter US and UK with little or no excuse, if Nigeria can start with Bill gate then other will no that we are getting serious. He cant just fill his visa form anyhow cos its ngerian embassy he is going to, NO. I hope they stamped rejected or whatever as their embassy use to stamp on ours.

If British Govt can deny Al-fayed passport despite all his contribution to the british economy(FULHAM,HAROLDS ETC) why the noise about rejecting visa to Bill on his own mistake.

I think its time we stand up and value our thing.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by akiro(m): 9:23am On Oct 09, 2007
pls some give me break, we need people like dat to enter this God almost forgotten country without even passport. some like biil gates cannot come into this country without leaving one form of development or another. he would surely bring good tidings. Second most richest man on earth? pls give me a break
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by YangaRat: 9:27am On Oct 09, 2007
See how as these grammar people dey shout say UK no gree give visa to Al Fayed like say na true talk them dey talk.

No be for London inside UK Al Fayed dey live ?   So wettin fit concern am for visa paper, so far say the man get freedom to enter him private jet and travel go come from that London any time when he like ?

Make una dey check ya story say na true before you begin dey nak am here o, country people, because e wan be like say una dey think say na so-so villager dey here dey read ya big-big lie. Make I take my whistle blow am say fa-fa-fa-foul for this una lie-lie !

Monkey no fine, but him mama love am
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by Oracle(m): 9:45am On Oct 09, 2007
For some reason, this news is funny.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by lafile(m): 10:03am On Oct 09, 2007
Quote From Article:

"The Nigerian government initially denied the Microsoft kingpin's application on the premise that they required proof he would not reside in Nigeria indefinitely, causing a strain on social services and a general nuisance for immigration."

I wonder what proof the immigration guys required.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by PrinceT2: 10:31am On Oct 09, 2007
Almondjoy,Big B1,Jakumo,whatz all these arguments all about?lets put an end to all these arguements and be another richest man in the world.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by tellmemore(m): 10:50am On Oct 09, 2007
Oracle:

For some reason, this news is funny.
You can say that again cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

What infrastructure do we have?
The steady power?
Steady water supply?
Good roads?

What infrastructure is he going to strain? cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy Pllllllllllllllllease
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by almondjoy(f): 10:57am On Oct 09, 2007
Prince T:

Almondjoy,Big B1,Jakumo,whatz all these arguments all about?lets put an end to all these arguements and be another richest man in the world.

I thought one of the purposes of this forum was to debate issues and share ideas? undecided  We are not discussing how to become as wealthy as Billy de Gates here are we? tongue
Jakumo (m)

QUOTE FROM JAKUMO!!!!

Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied
« #64 on: Today at 04:44:06 AM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: Big B1 on Yesterday at 10:06:32 PM
Jakumo, when are you finally going to buy your own car?

I am flattered by your worried concern regarding my mode of transport Big Bee.    Now this is very heart warming.

You will be glad to hear that thanks to the inversion layer of hot air billowing out of your all-knowing mouth, I have been able to get airborne in a hot-air balloon on those rare days when Juju teleportation modalities are not possible 

UNQUOTE

GOSH!!!! I have to lie down for this one! cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin---in stitches!
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by saintchux(m): 11:02am On Oct 09, 2007
I don't understand why Bill Gate should just be granted Visa to Nigeria b/c he is a multi billionaire. If it is money that is required to grant a Visa, why do UK refused visa to student with enough money to pay their school fees, and carter for themselves till the end of the study. Is it because is Nigeria that refused the Visa. If UK refuse Visa to Dangote or Adenuga will we question them?
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by justme3(m): 11:07am On Oct 09, 2007
Does anyone need a visa to get into nigeria or am i just not in touch with mordern trends.

And whats this about infrastructure.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by sniperwolf(m): 11:11am On Oct 09, 2007
I love this country. We are beginning to embrace our value
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by JustGood(m): 11:24am On Oct 09, 2007
someone said Bill Gates has done a lot of work in terms of philantrophy: is that enough justification for a Nigerian visa?

If the man no file correct papers, make dem reject the application. There are some people here who seem to stupidly rubbish anything Nigerian and warmly say that everything American is heaven-sent. Hopefully, these people will kepp their children away from other Nigerian children so that we will know their loyalty is with America.

yeye people
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by JustGood(m): 11:26am On Oct 09, 2007
By the way, Al Fayed employs several thousands of British people but was denied British citizenship. Meanwhile several agbero boys and area boys from Mushin have been granted British citizenship.

shuo
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by McKren(m): 11:38am On Oct 09, 2007
JustGood:

someone said Bill Gates has done a lot of work in terms of philantrophy: is that enough justification for a Nigerian visa?

If the man no file correct papers, make them reject the application. There are some people here who seem to stupidly rubbish anything Nigerian and warmly say that everything American is heaven-sent. Hopefully, these people will kepp their children away from other Nigerian children so that we will know their loyalty is with America.

yeye people

Honestly when I read such comments you can only wonder if they were granted American Passport last week.

I honestly don't understand why fat bank accounts can become substitute to VISA application form.
When Bill Gates went or goes back to fill out his application, he was or will obviously be granted VISA.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by eryck(m): 11:46am On Oct 09, 2007
Please peeps, lets not shy away from the truth despite the fact that the immigration rules has to be adhered to but You & I know very well that there is no country in this Glode that does not like Foreign Investment or whatever the case maybe.

Have you ever heard that Dangote or Adenuga was denied visa @ any embassy. Peeps with so much to contribute to others welfare should be treated (because its not an easy task) though with a lil respest but that does not mean worshipping the person.

So if it were Oprah Winfrey thats how she would also be denied, plz search your heart.
Hope you know how much she spent building that school in South Africa when she was criticized for not building it in USA.

The reason for Bills denial is too flimsy, nigerians needs to grow up.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by presido1: 11:49am On Oct 09, 2007
Yanga Rat:

See how as these grammar people dey shout say UK no gree give visa to Al Fayed like say na true talk them dey talk.

No be for London inside UK Al Fayed dey live ? So wettin fit concern am for visa paper, so far say the man get freedom to enter him private jet and travel go come from that London any time when he like ?

Make una dey check ya story say na true before you begin dey nak am here o, country people, because e wan be like say una dey think say na so-so villager dey here dey read ya big-big lie. Make I take my whistle blow am say fa-fa-fa-foul for this una lie-lie !

Monkey no fine, but him mama love am

Al- fayad was not givin british passport not visa, read well b4 you vomit your words dude.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by wiseguy(m): 11:54am On Oct 09, 2007
http://www.businessweek.com/smallbiz/content/oct2007/sb2007103_255925.htm?chan=smallbiz_smallbiz+index+page_top+stories

"When Bill Gates applied for a visa for a recent trip to Nigeria, his paperwork hit a snag. The Nigerian government required proof that the billionaire chairman of Microsoft (MSFT) would not stay in the country and become a drain on Nigeria's social services. The company helping him with his application, travel document expediter CIBT, obtained a letter from Gates' bank that reassured the Nigerian authorities, and the visa was approved."

According to the above source, it was just a requirement that Gates or his agents did not provide and when they did that the visa was approved. So why all these noise about? It does not matter who is involved, visa application to nigeria must follow due process and be properly documented. It is just a requirement that is applicable also in so many other countries and I don't think Mr. Gates is offended in anyway about it.

Don't forget also that the immigartion official can lose his or her job for accepting improper or incomplete visa application not minding that its Bill gates that is involved. Infact, it might even be suggested that the official took bribe from Bill Gates to process the incomplete visa application.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by wiseguy(m): 12:02pm On Oct 09, 2007
Even when it's known that Bill Gates is a wealthy man. It still needs to be documented, hence the letter from his bank as is the practice when other people also apply for Nigerian visa.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by Bblak(f): 12:36pm On Oct 09, 2007
Great news! We are progressing.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by kemd: 1:11pm On Oct 09, 2007
it,s a welcome development for our country. They immigration should keep up the good work.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by Jen33(m): 1:16pm On Oct 09, 2007
Eryck said:

Please peeps, lets not shy away from the truth despite the fact that the immigration rules has to be adhered to but You & I know very well that there is no country in this Glode that does not like Foreign Investment or whatever the case maybe.

And so? We should flout the rules so investors can come in without documentation?

Have you ever heard that Dangote or Adenuga was denied visa @ any embassy.

No, probably because they applied properly for it.

Peeps with so much to contribute to others welfare should be treated (because its not an easy task) though with a little respect but that does not mean worshipping the person.

You contradict yourself. If you treat a persdon with 'a little respect' more than others, then you do 'worship' that person. Why does Bill Gates deserve any more respect than the next man. Because he has money? Is that the way you were raised to think?

So if it were Oprah Winfrey thats how she would also be denied

Absolutely. If she follows the same slap-dash procedure Gates attempted she WOULD be denied a visa, absolutely, and rightly so.

plz search your heart.

You search YOUR heart. Is there anything in it that counts for more than money?

Hope you know how much she spent building that school in South Africa when she was criticized for not building it in USA.

Does not give her leeway to flout the rules of any nation. If she is building schools, then she herself needs to act educated. Same goes for Gates as well. If he's building software, he should be smart enough to know how to apply for a visa properly.

The reason for Bills denial is too flimsy, nigerians needs to grow up.

And you need to get a brain, and rid yourself of your inferiority complex.

Same goes for the other ignorants here who think like you.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by tng(f): 1:32pm On Oct 09, 2007
I am appalledat the rubbish i am reading here. So because he is bill gates, he should be given visa!?!. this just goes to show our country is going down the drain-so called future leaders talking like this. If the gist is true, he didnt do the right thing and was rightfully denied. Its probably his contempt for the country that made do that-abeg make i do am anyhow is it not nigeria?

@Jen33
Thank you jare.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by seyibrown(f): 1:44pm On Oct 09, 2007
he probably did not 'settle them' at the embassy. and pls dont say it doesnt happen cos ' seen settlement and long leg' are still very much in vogue at the nigerian embassy in london.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by seyibrown(f): 1:45pm On Oct 09, 2007
he probably did not 'settle them' at the embassy. and pls dont say it doesnt happen cos ' seen settlement and long leg' are still very much in vogue at the nigerian embassy in london.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Fashola Commissions Cardiac And Renal Centre. Pics / Why We Will Return PDP To Power – Ekweremadu Reveal / Sacrifice Required To Achieve Nigeria’s Restoration – Tinubu To SW Muslims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.