Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,482 members, 7,816,141 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:26 AM

Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied (11544 Views)

Buhari Meets With Bill Clinton & Gates In New York / Buhari Orders Probe On How ISIS Leader Got Nigerian Visa / Nigerian Visa Goes For A Dollar In 13 Countries - Punch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by BigB11(m): 1:49pm On Oct 09, 2007
I am flattered by your worried concern regarding my mode of transport Big Bee. Now this is very heart warming.

You will be glad to hear that thanks to the inversion layer of hot air billowing out of your all-knowing mouth, I have been able to get airborne in a hot-air balloon on those rare days when Juju teleportation modalities are not possible due to meteorological conditions in the upper stratosphere

Jakumo:

I didn't expect you to get it.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by CURCIFIX(m): 2:10pm On Oct 09, 2007
una sure say the guy na Bill Gate. cos this days some guys don stop yahoo for internet oh!na physical yahoo them dey do now.
make them look him finger print if na him
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by BigB11(m): 2:14pm On Oct 09, 2007
Honestly when I read such comments you can only wonder if they were granted American Passport last week.

I honestly don't understand why fat bank accounts can become substitute to VISA application form.
When Bill Gates went or goes back to fill out his application, he was or will obviously be granted VISA.

Mckren,

In spite of the fact that we see things differently 110% of the time, I must attest that you're one of the most exceptional Nigerians I've encountered on Nairaland.
I admire your sincerity, maturity level, conviction and the way you tend to comport yourself even when things seem not to be going your way. Your inimitable ways make you different from the rest.

But I still can't stand you!

One love!
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by delvinmaya(m): 2:17pm On Oct 09, 2007
Big Bee, pls i plead dont get flustered by the efforts of those fools who have been posting here, to me it seems like they were lucky to get their own visas into nigeria and have refused to leave the country. The calibre of Nigerians who post here surprise greatly, okiro am beginnig to doubt if you trully are a nigerian. and for those of you i cant get ur id address be thankfull. Unpatriotic fools,  i wonder sometimes why you are still in nigeria if you hate or dont like anything about nigeria. guess you were also not granted visa by the embassy of these same country you are all up and high about. For goodness sake if the man cant fill a simple form asking when he will be leaving the country then he shouldnt be granred visa at all.And i thot i heard someone say something about german espionage, so you believe that the white man means you no harm, it seems that in your haste you have forgotten about KOKO, you see i have always said it times without number, its unpatirotic citizens like you that have caused this nation to move towards the brink of poverty and now that slavagong work is going on you hve come to discourage those working towards the betterment of this country, dont turn yourself into enemies of Nehemiah.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by delvinmaya(m): 2:19pm On Oct 09, 2007
Big Bee, please i plead don't get flustered by the efforts of those fools who have been posting here, to me it seems like they were lucky to get their own visas into nigeria and have refused to leave the country. The calibre of Nigerians who post here surprise greatly, okiro am beginnig to doubt if you trully are a nigerian. and for those of you i can't get your id address be thankfull. Unpatriotic fools, i wonder sometimes why you are still in nigeria if you hate or don't like anything about nigeria. guess you were also not granted visa by the embassy of these same country you are all up and high about. For goodness sake if the man can't fill a simple form asking when he will be leaving the country then he shouldnt be granred visa at all.And i thot i heard someone say something about german espionage, so you believe that the white man means you no harm, it seems that in your haste you have forgotten about KOKO, you see i have always said it times without number, its unpatirotic citizens like you that have caused this nation to move towards the brink of poverty and now that slavaging work is going on you have come to discourage those working towards the betterment of this country, don't turn yourself into enemies of Nehemiah
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by niyyie(m): 2:24pm On Oct 09, 2007
Why is proof that the Gizmodo story is true?
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by delvinmaya(m): 2:27pm On Oct 09, 2007
the link is no longer going, but it's about the implication to nigeria as a whole that we are talikng about
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by McKren(m): 2:42pm On Oct 09, 2007
Big B1:

Mckren,

In spite of the fact that we see things differently 110% of the time, I must attest that you're one of the most exceptional Nigerians I've encountered on Nairaland.
I admire your sincerity, maturity level, conviction and the way you tend to comport yourself even when things seem not to be going your way. Your inimitable ways make you different from the rest.

But I still can't stand you!

One love!

LOL , 110% (110% in modular mathematics equates to 10% disagreement which means we agree 90% of the time) ****** Jokes

Every society has those who subscribe to right-wing and left-wing values, but all believe in success of the society. Their is strenght in diversity. If we agree most times on Nairaland I think we would have been bored out of this place.
But the fact remains that when it comes to foreign policies most reasonable and organised societies will always agree.

A fact which explains consistency in US foreign policy whether democtats or republicans; or consistency in UK foreign policy whether Conservative or Labour.

Biggie
Gues I get emotional at times but you still remain one of my best pals on Nairaland.

One Love
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by texazzpete(m): 2:49pm On Oct 09, 2007
delvinmaya:

Big Bee, please i plead don't get flustered by the efforts of those fools who have been posting here, to me it seems like they were lucky to get their own visas into nigeria and have refused to leave the country. The calibre of Nigerians who post here surprise greatly, okiro am beginnig to doubt if you trully are a nigerian. and for those of you i can't get your id address be thankfull. Unpatriotic fools, i wonder sometimes why you are still in nigeria if you hate or don't like anything about nigeria. guess you were also not granted visa by the embassy of these same country you are all up and high about. For goodness sake if the man can't fill a simple form asking when he will be leaving the country then he shouldnt be granred visa at all.And i thot i heard someone say something about german espionage, so you believe that the white man means you no harm, it seems that in your haste you have forgotten about KOKO, you see i have always said it times without number, its unpatirotic citizens like you that have caused this nation to move towards the brink of poverty and now that slavaging work is going on you have come to discourage those working towards the betterment of this country, don't turn yourself into enemies of Nehemiah

And where in the article did you see them say he didn't indicate when he'd be leaving the country?
Since when did questioning the wisdom of the immighration guys become 'never see anything good in Nigeria'.
More to the point, d'ya think you're more patriotic than others just because you see everything through rose-tinted glasses?
Even in the US, in the Uk people criticise the government because they feel they have the right to spur the leaders to do better.
It's those that love their country that strive to criticise to make things better. As far as i'm concerned, all those that can't see anything wrong in the way Nigeria is is a fucking traitor. Nigeria doesn't need people like you.

I criticise Nigeria far, far less than accepted 'elders' like Chinua Achebe and Wole Soyinka. Guess that makes them 'Unpatriotic fools', abi?
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by Nobody: 2:55pm On Oct 09, 2007
You may get more on this story from Businessweek link and others below; basically i believe in rules he has to follow the rules to be allowed entry into Nigeria. Even if the officer recognised his passport or form as that of the world's richest man, he should follow rules and regulations and present his bank statement or any other document required for entry. From my opinion this is a good job by the Immigration office.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/print/article/238148
http://www.businessweek.com/smallbiz/content/oct2007/sb2007103_255925.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index_small+business
http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2200697/nigeria-denies-bill-gates-visa
http://madconomist.com/bill-gates-has-to-prove-hes-got-money-and-wont-be-a-drain-on-social-services-prior-to-obtaining-visa-to-nigeria
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by eryck(m): 2:56pm On Oct 09, 2007
Jen33:

And so? We should flout the rules so investors can come in without documentation?

WHO HAS SAID SO, READ IN BETWEEN THE LINES

Jen33:

No, probably because they applied properly for it.

MAYBE

Jen33:

You contradict yourself. If you treat a persdon with 'a little respect' more than others, then you do 'worship' that person. Why does Bill Gates deserve any more respect than the next man. Because he has money? Is that the way you were raised to think?

MAYBE YOU DONT KNOW THE DICTIONARY MEANING OF WORSHIP. EVEN IN THE DEVELOPED WORLD THERE IS PREFRENTIAL TREATMENT.WHY DONT YOU TRY TO BE A PHILANTROPIST IN YOUR OWN LITTLE WAY. odeeee!!!!

Jen33:

Absolutely. If she follows the same slap-dash procedure Gates attempted she WOULD be denied a visa, absolutely, and rightly so.

YOU ARE ONLY TAKING IT PERSONAL & STOP ACTING LIKE A TERRORIST (EXTREMIST)

Jen33:

You search YOUR heart. Is there anything in it that counts for more than money?

DONT TELL ME YOU ARE THIS BROKE

Jen33:

Does not give her leeway to flout the rules of any nation. If she is building schools, then she herself needs to act educated. Same goes for Gates as well. If he's building software, he should be smart enough to know how to apply for a visa properly.

DO YOU REALLY KNOW THE REASON FOR HIS DENIAL. DONT BE SARCASTIC

Jen33:

And you need to get a brain, and rid yourself of your inferiority complex.

WISE ONE ARE YOU MORE EXPOSED THAN MYSELF

Jen33:

Same goes for the other ignorants here who think like you.

NA You KNOW PASS, DO You KNOW THE MEANING OF FORUM, YOU NEED TO WORK ON YOUR ATTITUDE.WEIRD FELLOW
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by egoldman(m): 3:11pm On Oct 09, 2007
eryck:

WHO HAS SAID SO, READ IN BETWEEN THE LINES

MAYBE

MAYBE YOU DONT KNOW THE DICTIONARY MEANING OF WORSHIP. EVEN IN THE DEVELOPED WORLD THERE IS PREFRENTIAL TREATMENT.WHY DONT YOU TRY TO BE A PHILANTROPIST IN YOUR OWN LITTLE WAY. odeeee!!!!

YOU ARE ONLY TAKING IT PERSONAL & STOP ACTING LIKE A TERRORIST (EXTREMIST)

DONT TELL ME YOU ARE THIS BROKE

DO YOU REALLY KNOW THE REASON FOR HIS DENIAL. DONT BE SARCASTIC

WISE ONE ARE YOU MORE EXPOSED THAN MYSELF

NA You KNOW PASS, DO You KNOW THE MEANING OF FORUM, YOU NEED TO WORK ON YOUR ATTITUDE.WEIRD FELLOW

Completely senseless angry angry angry
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by Roadblock: 3:35pm On Oct 09, 2007
What makes you think someone like bill gate will have a problem with his documents. On the contrary to all your submissions i believe that that happened because the officials in charge knowing who bill gate is, expected him to wet the ground grin, which he must have refused which resulted into his being denied a visa. no be Naija we dey. Leave matta all na beef. wetin edey find come naija sef? I sure say na Ikeja computer Village the guy wan visit to take im eye see wetin Emeka dem take im softwares dey do grin grin. grin grin grin
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by ono(m): 3:42pm On Oct 09, 2007
I'll continue to read what others are posting here until such a time that I can make some meanings to what this is all about.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by hbrednic: 3:45pm On Oct 09, 2007
gates or no gates,oga mr immigi has spoken,due process has to be followed chikena.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by eryck(m): 3:55pm On Oct 09, 2007
egoldman:

Completely senseless angry angry angry

IS DAT ALL YOU COULD SAY WHATS YOUR OWN CONTRIBUTION?

@texazzpete
Thanx for your point. criticism does not mean your are not patriotic. plz let dem know properly " It's those that love their country that strive to criticise to make things better. As far as i'm concerned, all those that can't see anything wrong in the way Nigeria is, is a fucking traitor. Nigeria doesn't need people like you, elders' like Chinua Achebe and Wole Soyinka. Guess that makes them 'Unpatriotic fools', abi?"

WHY WOULD THE IMMIGRATION DENY HIM BASED ON , According to a report on Gizmodo, Nigerian officials required proof that the world's richest man would not reside in Nigeria indefinitely and cause a strain on social services before granting him a visa. He had to show other statements of account & a letter from his bank vouching for his personal wealth.
Mennnn!!!! This is hilarious (Maybe the immigartion officer wanted to estimate all of his wealth himself)

HOW CAN HE RESIDE INDEFINATELY IN NIGERIA CONSIDERING HIS STATUS OR RATHER OFFICE, MAKE UNA STILL CHECK AM.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by seun001(m): 6:29pm On Oct 09, 2007
-----the gizmodo post was not from a newspaper or something,it was supposed to be a comment.making it irrelevant.

-----however, a more sensible newspaper report stating objectively what transpired is more acceptable and can be responded to.

-----not filling in the appropriate places where he is required to amounts to disrespecting nigeria.
------and therefore,if he is supposed to attach his bank statement,why didnt he do that to avoid embarassment(guess he was counting on the officials overlooking that because he is bill gates,  hmmm)
------the correct conclusion for not filling the missing parts is that he cannot convince the officials that he will leave the country and at the same time meaning it is a drain on resources(guess thats what is in the immigration manual or something)
------therefore,he was told to produce more documents,

what is wrong with that?hmmmm,

this isnt about wondering if bill gates can be a drain on our resources or not,its about doing the right thing,its about national pride.
if u,a nigerian can drag your country in the mud,its ok,cos u want it to be better,u want it to change its ways but when another citizen starts disrespecting, he/she should be put in order.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by Jakumo(m): 7:15pm On Oct 09, 2007
Only a person who has never been felled by a malaria attack can afford to intellectualise and downplay the world-changing significance of the funding being provided by the Bill and Melssia Gates Foundation to speed up the search for a cure and prevention of malaria which claims the lives of millions of children annually in Sub Saharan Africa alone.

There is no historical precedent for the sheer scale of monetary outlay with which this man, Bill Gates  breathes new life into that battle against malaria along with many other worthy charitable causes worldwide, yet  the full ripple effect of his strategic philanthropy may take decades to be recognised as the masterstrokes of lasting good that they are.   

Bill Gates is an all-American living legend who is giving away 95 % of his epic wealth to that forgotten part of the world - The Third World, and as such he ought to be accorded the sort of formal welcome reserved for heads of state wherever he travels in the world.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by bluesky4(f): 7:19pm On Oct 09, 2007
I think the funny thing about this news is not that his visa was refused first time round, because he didnt fill in how long he will stay for nigeria, but the fact that it will be a burden on nigeria's social service. Why would the world richest man be using nigeria's social service.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by sage(m): 7:19pm On Oct 09, 2007
what a joke by the embassy

unfortunately its not even funny
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by onmyown(m): 8:35am On Oct 10, 2007
'does he have enough ties in the US'

sister please im having a bad day already dont compund it.

the imigration officials would have looked the other way if a few dollars were extended to allow a cargo of ammunition through.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by goodbobo: 8:58am On Oct 10, 2007
I am a living witness to the fact that Nigerian visa might not be as easy as I thought . I sent an invitation to a black American and was denied visa twice . It was the third time the visa was granted . Same thing happened to my cousin who invited white American , he was denied but because my cousin had to see him , the guy had to apply for Ghanian visa which was granted and they both met in Accra , Ghana .

So I believe the Bill Gate story in very possible
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by dudubobo1: 9:05am On Oct 10, 2007
The same people who want Bill Gates to be granted a visa without due regard to the stipulated requirements are the same people who will slate Nigeria for any reason if a Nigerian was granted special privileges based on recognition.

Why should we bend the the rules for Bill Gates?

Should we then conclude that Bill Gates should be allowed to flout Nigerian laws just because we know that he is Bill Gates?
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by egoldman(m): 9:35am On Oct 10, 2007
Jakumo:

Only a person who has never been felled by a malaria attack can afford to intellectualise and downplay the world-changing significance of the funding being provided by the Bill and Melssia Gates Foundation to speed up the search for a cure and prevention of malaria which claims the lives of millions of children annually in Sub Saharan Africa alone.

There is no historical precedent for the sheer scale of monetary outlay with which this man, Bill Gates breathes new life into that battle against malaria along with many other worthy charitable causes worldwide, yet the full ripple effect of his strategic philanthropy may take decades to be recognised as the masterstrokes of lasting good that they are.

Bill Gates is an all-American living legend who is giving away 95 % of his epic wealth to that forgotten part of the world - The Third World, and as such he ought to be accorded the sort of formal welcome reserved for heads of state wherever he travels in the world.

Thank God for what bill gates has been doing with his money , may God bless him very well .
however he must respect the rules , he must fill all the form correctly and if his bank account details are needed , then he must provide them , failing to do so he should be rightfully denied the visa .
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by mekoyo(m): 11:10am On Oct 10, 2007
If the appropriate proccedings were not taking then he cant be granted visa according to law. But come to think of it, those chinese coming here to pirate our product like music, etc and making millions of dollars is not the same immigartion service they came in through? They wont see those ones it is the important and influential ones they'll see.

loooooooong hiss

They should let him come at least to see all the pirated microsoft softwares in Naija grin

On a serious note his coming will have an impact on many youths if he is allowed to. There will be seminars, practicals, etc that he can introduce that will help so many aspiring computer scientist.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by skyone(m): 11:34am On Oct 10, 2007
smiley may be those guys in government felt he might reveal thier handy work tru window vista. yeh yeh people grin grin
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by tenik: 1:08pm On Oct 10, 2007
think denying bill gates visa is just to protect him, he,s not going to benefit from us, he.ll only come to make a positive change or something to improve the country. So its nothing to feel great about that he was denied visa coz he has nothing to lose. They will go ahead and give visa to people that will not benefit the country and those that would do something, they will act ignorant. Rubbish i,ll say.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by BigB11(m): 1:46pm On Oct 10, 2007
think denying bill gates visa is just to protect him, he,s not going to benefit from us, he.ll only come to make a positive change or something to improve the country. So its nothing to feel great about that he was denied visa because he has nothing to lose. They will go ahead and give visa to people that will not benefit the country and those that would do something, they will act ignorant. Rubbish i,ll say.

Unbelievable state of mind; you sound like a house-girl.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by Sarin(f): 3:45pm On Oct 10, 2007
THIS IS A JOKE, RIGHT? shocked
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by egoldman(m): 9:02pm On Oct 10, 2007
tenik:

think denying bill gates visa is just to protect him, he,s not going to benefit from us, he.ll only come to make a positive change or something to improve the country. So its nothing to feel great about that he was denied visa because he has nothing to lose. They will go ahead and give visa to people that will not benefit the country and those that would do something, they will act ignorant. Rubbish i,ll say.

Its not about feeling great , its about following the rules , and mr gates must not be an exception .
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by faramola: 2:05pm On Oct 11, 2007
egoldman:

Its not about feeling great , its about following the rules , and mr gates must not be an exception .
Pls dont tell me about exception, its just ignorance or you people hate progress. Why deny gates visa when he can never stay permanently in naija. You all just like to shout about whats not right. He,s done a lot for african countries so wats the fuss about him coming to naija. i repeat its senseless. Simple!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Fashola Commissions Cardiac And Renal Centre. Pics / Why We Will Return PDP To Power – Ekweremadu Reveal / Sacrifice Required To Achieve Nigeria’s Restoration – Tinubu To SW Muslims

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.