Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,631 members, 7,816,600 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:45 PM

Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied (11548 Views)

Buhari Meets With Bill Clinton & Gates In New York / Buhari Orders Probe On How ISIS Leader Got Nigerian Visa / Nigerian Visa Goes For A Dollar In 13 Countries - Punch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by Nobody: 9:03pm On Oct 08, 2007
The guy can get to Nigeria and buy a valid Nigerian passport,what are people saying?
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by BigB11(m): 9:05pm On Oct 08, 2007
Big B1, you are yet to tell us about the so-called "law" that is the backing of your argument.

I have confidence that you're bright enough to discover this "LAW" on your own.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by BigB11(m): 9:07pm On Oct 08, 2007
Things will change for better in Nigeria, as soon as we, Nigerians start to recognize, respect and embrace the value of our nation.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by almondjoy(f): 9:08pm On Oct 08, 2007
Jakumo:

Come on Big Bee, spit it out. YOU HATE WHITE PEOPLE, and any perversion of the local Nigerian laws that will make life miserable for them would please you immensely, whether that would be railroading a German video crew into dungeons under trumped-up espionage charges in the Niger Delta, or shooing away Nigeria's greatest charitable benefactor to prevent him from seeing first-hand whether his donations to vital causes in Nigeria are being utilized as specified or stolen as usual.

Tee! Hee! Hee! Hee! Hee! cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

nwando:

did he have enough ties in the USA?

we can't just let anyone in like that cheesy

I think you are the only one who really read the  great reasons why the Gates of a man was initially refused this popular Nigerian visa! tongue  What a joke!

Big B1:

Excellent!

This is one of our problems, some Nigerians will easily put themselves down just because of couple of dollars; absolutely unacceptable.

The pride of my nation is priceless and Mr. Gate can not afford to purchase it under any circumstances.

Can anyone please tell me what part of Nigeria is this guy from?--  I will hate to associate remotely with it in any shape of form. angry
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by naijacutee(f): 9:09pm On Oct 08, 2007
This is nothing  but stupidity and mock superiority. How can you blindly refuse a philanthropist who is obviously interested in contributing towards the development of the country visa, on the grounds that they don't know if he's going to leave the country? If he didn't fill the forms correctly, then fine. Refuse him a visa and allow him to re-apply correctly. Don't talk stupidity like "He is not going to leave the country". You and I know that he is coming to either invest in the country one way or the other. This is provable by his track record with other African countries. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3913581.stm
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by almondjoy(f): 9:12pm On Oct 08, 2007
egoldman:

Its not about any victory , its not about being able to pay our national debt or anything like that , the rule is that the form should be filled correctly , so if my bill gates had not filled them correctly , then he should not be issued visa , he must filled the form correctly according to the rule, chikena angry angry

And what the heck are you writing here?  Did you read the reasons why he was refused a visa?---   I think you need to go get a job at the Nigerian Immigrations and straighten things out. You'd fit right in there I believe. You meet the qualifications for employment. embarassed

egoldman:

yeah and why did the eu fine his company microsoft heavily for their unfair business practices ? i have nothing against the man , but i refused to accept he is a super human being .

Is this why he was refused a visa?---   Yeah most of us here believe he is a "martian" with 6 pairs of eyes!
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by almondjoy(f): 9:17pm On Oct 08, 2007
naijacutee:

This is nothing but stupidity and mock superiority. How can you blindly refuse a philanthropist who is obviously interested in contributing towards the development of the country visa, on the grounds that they don't know if he's going to leave the country? If he didn't fill the forms correctly, then fine. Refuse him a visa and allow him to re-apply correctly. Don't talk stupidity like "He is not going to leave the country". You and I know that he is coming to either invest in the country one way or the other. This is provable by his track record with other African countries. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3913581.stm

Can you believe it? Sheer stupidity and just arrant nonsense!!!! This is the type of situation that make me ashamed to be a Nigerian. When they accepted all his "philantropic" loot--no questions asked. Now, it is because he want to come and eat eba and okro soup in Nigeria--the almighty delicacy of power!
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by zPixel(m): 9:18pm On Oct 08, 2007
@ texazzpete,

You're totally right.

Denying Bill visa wont change the view of the world about Nigeria. It just doesn't make sense. Do you think he will come here and not want to leave?
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by Skywalker5(m): 9:26pm On Oct 08, 2007
Can anyone here give just 1 reason why Bill gates would not want to leave Nigeria

I am really curious ooooooooooooooo
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by Jakumo(m): 9:26pm On Oct 08, 2007
Big B1:

I have confidence that you're bright enough to discover this "LAW" on your own.

I can't speak for anyone else, Big Bee, but I personally am WAY too stupid to be able to recite the Nigerian law to which you refer that explicitly prohibits Bill Gates from visiting Nigeria to observe how his donated healthcare millions are being spent.    

Humor my dumb ass and educate us all with a direct quote from Nigeria's law books if you will, sir.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by femionasan(m): 9:27pm On Oct 08, 2007
I really have doubts about this story cos Bill Gates has been to Nigeria many times and even on one of these occasions Microsofts office in Abuja (they have an office in Lagos also) was robbed cos they thought he will be staying there. Does it make sense that he will be refused a visa now when he has been here on several occasions?
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by egoldman(m): 9:36pm On Oct 08, 2007
In all visa forms that i have seen , its compulsory that the applicant fill the section where he or she is required to prove that he will leave the country on or b4 the expiration of his visa . if mr bill gates didn't fill that section , then he must not be issued the visa and the reasons should rightly be that he didn't not prove that he would leave Nigeria on or b4 the expiration of his visa .
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by egoldman(m): 9:40pm On Oct 08, 2007
That mr bill gates would leave Nigeria on or b4 the expiration of his visa is one thing and that he must fill the section of the visa form that supports that is another , the later is a must anyone wishing to visit Nigeria fill it including bill gates, chikena .
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by Purist(m): 9:44pm On Oct 08, 2007
I agree with femionasan.

Has anyone also noticed that this story was lifted from a blog, which was also gotten from another blog? Until I see a direct link from a reputable news website that confirms this story, I'll take this as another attempt by the white folks to disparage our beloved country.

But assuming the story is true . . .

@egoldman, I'm yet to read any part of that reports that says, "Bill Gates was refused viase because he filled his visa from incorrectly". Or are you reading yours in Hindi language?

@Big B1: What "law" are you talking about?
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by Nobody: 9:46pm On Oct 08, 2007
lol, i have a friend who has a nigerian passport and he is a cameroonian what do u have to say to that, instead of you ppl to be happy that the richest man in the world is coming to invest in ur country, u are denying him visa , embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by egoldman(m): 9:57pm On Oct 08, 2007
Purist:

I agree with femionasan.

Has anyone also noticed that this story was lifted from a blog, which was also gotten from another blog? Until I see a direct link from a reputable news website that confirms this story, I'll take this as another attempt by the white folks to disparage our beloved country.

But assuming the story is true . . .

@egoldman, I'm yet to read any part of that reports that says, "Bill Gates was refused viase because he filled his visa from incorrectly". Or are you reading yours in Hindi language?

@Big B1: What "law" are you talking about?

and how do you think mr gates should prove that he wont overstay in Nigeria ( am sure u don't accept that he has prove that just like everyone else) or are u saying that requirement is not in the Nigerian visa form ?
the issue is this , If the nigerian visa rules says you have to prove the consulate that you wont overstay, weather that prove should be in writing or verbal , anyone must obey and do it including mr gates.
again i say i have nutting against the man , in fact i love him for what he has achieved , but he must pass through the same check as others to obtain nigerian visa , he is not a super human being that should be treated differently .
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by egoldman(m): 9:59pm On Oct 08, 2007
jayon:

lol, i have a friend who has a nigerian passport and he is a cameroonian what do u have to say to that, instead of you people to be happy that the richest man in the world is coming to invest in your country, u are denying him visa , embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

he was not denied visa, he was only ask to obey same rules just everyone.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by BigB11(m): 10:06pm On Oct 08, 2007
I can't speak for anyone else, Big Bee, but I personally am WAY too stupid

Jakumo, when are you finally going to buy your own car?
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by jerrymania(m): 10:49pm On Oct 08, 2007
@ POSTER.

Didnt you know that it was meant to ridicule you Nigerians? Read the comments, its a shame man. It waseven posted under Uncommon Business-STUPID.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by almondjoy(f): 10:53pm On Oct 08, 2007
jerrymania:

@ POSTER.

Didnt you know that it was meant to ridicule you Nigerians? Read the comments, its a shame man. It wasnt even posted under[b] STUPID[/b].

cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin ---Ewo!!!!! grin
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by Jen33(m): 11:09pm On Oct 08, 2007
seun said:

This is a man that can single-handedly pay off our national debt.

We've already paid off our national debt.

Next fool please!
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by bluesky4(f): 11:11pm On Oct 08, 2007
jerrymania:

@ POSTER.

Didnt you know that it was meant to ridicule you Nigerians? Read the comments, its a shame man. It wasnt even posted under STUPID.

exactly, nigerians ego's are so big, they don't even realise when some1 is making them look silly. Can u imagine they are praising this blogger.

They complain that Nigeria is always put in a bad light, yet they are happy when some1 who is going to invest in the country is refused visa.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by mimiko(f): 11:19pm On Oct 08, 2007
i really hope this is not true, cos that ll be soooo dumb of them
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by Zandra1(f): 12:03am On Oct 09, 2007
Hilarious indeed grin.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by AKO1(m): 12:48am On Oct 09, 2007
and so what if he was denied visa
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by spoilt(f): 12:57am On Oct 09, 2007
but seriously we need evidence that he wont overstay his visa. we dont need a mooch! grin
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by jshwilton(m): 1:12am On Oct 09, 2007
I wonder why we are here making big issues and some throwing few words over this petty issue. Who's Bill Gates before any immigration, the laws are there in black and white, he's just an ordinary man trying to get into another country Pronto! and this cannot be altered because of his financial or social status, Nah! never. I can almost authoritatively say we're all giving out our opinions from a layman's point of view but any immigration who's to review BILL GATES' documents can't ever be irrational, never. and besides, whoever must've attempted to refuse Bill gates' a Nigerian Visa must be a trained personnel at least to be at any immigration office. I wonder then why he should not refuse Bill Gates' a Nigerian Visa if he's notices any irregularities in his documents or perhaps is not convinced that he would return to his home country, let's not forget that several Nigerians suffer this same feat at the US consular office everyday. What is good for the goose I guess is good for the gander. Let whatever country spell out her immigration criteria and let's see how many Nigerians are denied entry despite meeting these criteria.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by jayvin01: 1:13am On Oct 09, 2007
hmnnnnn word!
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by Nwaka77: 1:33am On Oct 09, 2007
Bill Gates denied Naija visa?  shocked I don't believe that.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by nazzyon(m): 2:00am On Oct 09, 2007
Partiality has sunk deeply into the hearts of some Nigerian.

You are not supposed to blame the immigrations for taking the right actions.

All these has to start somewhere.

We should be glad that these is happening now.

What power do we have over the government in the past?

To me it is a right action @ the time. Presently, the Nigerian government are really working towards the progress of our economy all we gotta do is help encourage them.

Someone complained that there are lots of other people whose VISA has expired who are still residing in the country and nothing is done about them. With this recent action thousands will be reminded to either vacate the country or remin and renew their credentials.

Though, it cannot spread around @ once but I take it as step toward the future.

I have read numerous posts and comments about this same topics which is really shows the length Nigerian's has gone to suppress the iomage of our country.

Some idiots even claimed that, it is because of problems encountered by Nigeria while using Windows, some said it is just an opportunity to created to bully the guy.

If we are can support every right actions the government takes I believe they will be encouraged to way ahead with others.

Opinions and interpretations are always different btw peoples

Even some Nigerian's I discussed this matter with were against the policies of the Immigrations.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by BigB11(m): 3:12am On Oct 09, 2007
Thanks, my man.

Finally Nigerian officials are starting to do their jobs the right way, and the dead heads are still here crying. I don't get it.
Infact, I'm sure that Mr.Gate saw nothing wrong with this action, but of course, most Nigerians see nothing but money being denied; what a shame.
Where is the dignity and pride of our country?
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by egoldman(m): 3:45am On Oct 09, 2007
When Bill Gates applied for a visa for a recent trip to Nigeria,his paperwork hit a snag. The Nigerian government required proof that the billionaire chairman of Microsoft (MSFT) would not stay in the country and become a drain on Nigeria's social services. The company helping him with his application, travel document expediter CIBT, obtained a letter from Gates' bank that reassured the Nigerian authorities, and the visa was approved.

source ; http://www.businessweek.com/smallbiz/content/oct2007/sb2007103_255925.htm?chan=smallbiz_smallbiz+index+page_top+stories

if there is mistake in mr gates documents , then the immigration 110% right to deny him visa until he corrects it .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Is Nigeria VIP Crazy? / Misrule Worse Than Boko Haram-PDP / 5 Imo PDP Reps To Dump Party For APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.