Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,306 members, 7,811,912 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:19 PM

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? - Travel (35) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? (533507 Views)

Pls I Want To Travel To Canada How Do I Start An How Much Is The Cost / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) ... (84) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by kollynsb(m): 8:07am On Jan 06, 2016
Hey guys... You guys are really encouraging.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by notasowie: 2:32pm On Jan 06, 2016
Manweysabi:
Hi @eduson002, i've made an online application to Memorial University Newfoundland today and i'll be paying my application fee tomorrow. 'trying to collect my transcript and appraisal letters in my school. Maybe we can rob minds and share ideas/experiences.
plsss I m about applying for memorial university but I don't know how to go about it ,plsss I need guidance ,
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by worry359(m): 5:56pm On Jan 06, 2016
notasowie:
plsss I m about applying for memorial university but I don't know how to go about it ,plsss I need guidance ,
Have you been to their web site to look at the requirements?
I sometimes think people ask here because they are too idle to do anything for themselves.

I will post it here to make it simple for you.
http://www.mun.ca/international/
http://www.mun.ca/international/Prospective_Students/

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ekpblues8: 1:35am On Jan 07, 2016
@LAMAMA1:u can link up with him and his friend:Alonge Imole-ayo Matthew(Jan 2016):Winter Class & Dotun Adedoyin(Sept 2015):Fall class. both are studying business admin(undergraduate level):Diploma programme
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by maestrojay(m): 8:42am On Jan 07, 2016
Hello guys, iv bin following this thread and u guys have bin awesomely encouraging... emm.... i'm interested in running a masters program in canada, and i wish to find a low cost school in ontario...
I want to run masters on part time in International relations(so that i can work to support myself)... i graduated with a CGPA of 3.35..
Pls can i get suggestions from u guys.
I wuld indeed be grateful.. thanks all and Godbless
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by manny14: 2:37pm On Jan 07, 2016
Please how's the fall in the value of Naira, compared to the dollar especially, affecting you guys in Canada?
I want to know because it appears that the Canadian dollar is falling as well so does that make it better for Nigerians studying in Canada?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by idolda: 7:58pm On Jan 07, 2016
misszionboo:
As for surviving in Canada. I will say it's God and determination. I knw pple who make 3k monthly while in school, believe me wen I say dey have no social life. All they do is work,class and sleep with the little spare time dey have. Don't come here all in the hope of coming to upload pictures on Facebook,ig etc just knw wat you re here for and believe me the sKY will be your starting point. Funny enough their school system isn't so difficult. Just knw wat you re doing and u will be fine.

Hi, the course I love seems to be offered only in University of Victoria as Masters of Nursing and Health Informatics here is the link http://www.uvic.ca/hsd/nursing/prospective/graduate/double/index.php The course is a full time 3yr dual masters program (you graduate with Masters in Nursing and Masters in Health Informatics). The issue now is that it is an online based full time course with 2 coops work (13weeks). I have contacted the school and I was told the admission letter will reflect that it's a FULL TIME course. Do you think I will not have problem with visa officer considering that major part of studies will be done ONLINE?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by abestine(m): 5:58pm On Jan 08, 2016
Pls Nigerian that has benefited from University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowship should please clarify this for me, does the scholarship include tuition fee? It's not stated in the benefits. Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by IyaEjima(f): 9:33pm On Jan 08, 2016
abestine:
Pls Nigerian that has benefited from University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowship should please clarify this for me, does the scholarship include tuition fee? It's not stated in the benefits. Thanks
Yes it does but pls arrange ur tuition fee down! Dey pay that money bi-weekly throughout out the 2yr period.. U'll pay ur tuition to have it activated.. More like u r being reimbursed.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by IyaEjima(f): 9:39pm On Jan 08, 2016
maestrojay:
Hello guys, iv bin following this thread and u guys have bin awesomely encouraging... emm.... i'm interested in running a masters program in canada, and i wish to find a low cost school in ontario...
I want to run masters on part time in International relations(so that i can work to support myself)... i graduated with a CGPA of 3.35..
Bros! Pls kindly shift focus from Ontario to Manitoba, Newfoundland, New Brunswick or Sask if u want low cost Masters tuition.. Secondly, CIC won't grant u visa for a part-time Prog, thirdly, applying for masters with that cpga will take a lot of grace and packaging to pull tru. Trust and Believe! Wishing u d very best.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by EOJ13: 8:31am On Jan 09, 2016
My sister is pay my fees from her account on monday 11th January, can I use the duplicate copy of the FORM A as proof of fees payment at the POE? My departure date is 12th January and the telex copy from school won't b ready by then.

NB: My school resumed 5th January and I ve got a reply to mail permitting me to resume latest 15th January.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by EmmaMsc(m): 3:22pm On Jan 09, 2016
maestrojay:

Nore that international students studying part time are not allowed to work either on or off campus

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-offcampus.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-oncampus.asp

Cheers
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by abestine(m): 2:21pm On Jan 10, 2016
IyaEjima:

Yes it does but pls arrange ur tuition fee down! Dey pay that money bi-weekly throughout out the 2yr period.. U'll pay ur tuition to have it activated.. More like u r being reimbursed.

Thanks for your response, I applied for PhD in community health science 2015/2016. You mean I will have to pay the tuition fee from my purse, before they'll start paying me the tuition fee back?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by maestrojay(m): 6:22pm On Jan 10, 2016
IyaEjima:

Bros! Pls kindly shift focus from Ontario to Manitoba, Newfoundland, New Brunswick or Sask if u want low cost Masters tuition.. Secondly, CIC won't grant u visa for a part-time Prog, thirdly, applying for masters with that cpga will take a lot of grace and packaging to pull tru. Trust and Believe! Wishing u d very best.

Thanks.. i'll check those areas
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by maestrojay(m): 6:23pm On Jan 10, 2016
EmmaMsc:

Nore that international students studying part time are not allowed to work either on or off campus

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-offcampus.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-oncampus.asp

Cheers

Thanks.. means i'll study ful time then..
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by celloman: 6:51pm On Jan 10, 2016
If
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by kester256: 6:58pm On Jan 10, 2016
well its a;; good,but do try and find out about the spending aspect also because accomodation in canada is as expensive as hell, 400 450 dols for a month, thats 70k in nigerian currency not to talk of feeding. But then again you can get a part time job to cover the expenses parrt up
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Walexwal: 10:54pm On Jan 10, 2016
pls which Uni in Canada can I do MSC Agricultural Economics with funding available . I av a Degree with GPA of 4.5

is my result strong enof for funding?

thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Prodigee: 1:50pm On Jan 11, 2016
IyaEjima:

So e mean someone like me with 2.93 no get hope niyen? sad

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by detutu1: 3:55pm On Jan 11, 2016
About CGPA's I think it will be specified on their site, some schools use only the last two years.
I will suggest people research on the 4.0 GPA calculation and convert their grades to 4.0. That way you know where you stand.... the calculation isnt different from WES evaluation. Google is your friend. smiley
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Walexwal: 12:26pm On Jan 12, 2016
pls which Uni in Canada can I do MSC Agricultural Economics with funding available . I av a Degree with GPA of 4.5 is my result strong enof for funding? thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by manny14: 9:36pm On Jan 12, 2016
Please is she in Nigeria and what currency did she pay it in? US Dollar or Canadian?
EOJ13:
My sister is pay my fees from her account on monday 11th January, can I use the duplicate copy of the FORM A as proof of fees payment at the POE? My departure date is 12th January and the telex copy from school won't b ready by then.

NB: My school resumed 5th January and I ve got a reply to mail permitting me to resume latest 15th January.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by IyaEjima(f): 1:23am On Jan 13, 2016
Walexwal:
pls which Uni in Canada can I do MSC Agricultural Economics with funding available . I av a Degree with GPA of 4.5

is my result strong enof for funding?

thanks
University of Manitoba
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by IyaEjima(f): 1:24am On Jan 13, 2016
Prodigee:
So e mean someone like me with 2.93 no get hope niyen? sad
PGD is ur best bet my dear.. Maybe expensive but e de give PR in d long run.. To me, that's all that matters!
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by adesbaba: 3:22am On Jan 13, 2016
, m 2016 batch a corper and wanna have my masters in jan entry 2017 ..pls wen shud i begin my processin...i dnt even av passport yet....thanks all.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Prodigee: 8:09am On Jan 13, 2016
IyaEjima:

PGD is ur best bet my dear.. Maybe expensive but e de give PR in d long run.. To me, that's all that matters!
Thank you. So wc school(s) can u recommend that are also less expensive?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by iykedare(m): 10:38am On Jan 13, 2016
jojcanada:
Happy new year people. I haven't been on here in a while. Life in Canada has been so fast. I just want to encourage everyone that with hard work and God you will succeed. I did an 8 months programme at Seneca college and a 4 month coop (Jan - dec 2015). My first job which started in Dec is as an IT Project Manager earning over $80k per annum. Stay focused and you can do it too, do not try to cut corners or beat the system. Canada is a land of opportunities and with God's grace and handwork the sky is your limit.

I just thought to encourage all those aspiring to come, the new comers and those who have finished studying. Get on the express entry pool as soon as possible because things are about to change pretty quickly.

God bless you all and have a beautiful year in Canada

Wow. This is encouraging. I have seen people here say that college education is a waste of money. I am also going for project management ( construction) and I won't leave for any other course.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Blissmi: 1:52pm On Jan 13, 2016
posts here are very encouraging.... pls with 3.4 cgpa is it possible to get MSc admission. Also, how easy is getting visa with all documents.
thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) ... (84) (Reply)

Thread for South Korea prospective students / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.