Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,276 members, 7,811,808 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:09 PM

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? - Travel (34) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? (533491 Views)

Pls I Want To Travel To Canada How Do I Start An How Much Is The Cost / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) ... (84) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by britiko: 4:07am On Jan 02, 2016
Vblossom:
I Learnt on this trend that VO dont give Visa for part time studies. i have a bachelor degree in Nursing. am applying to CONESTOGA COLLEGE. Post Graduate Certificate in Critical and Critical Care Nursing. NOTE; The course is only available in part time for international student. The such course in full time for international student What should i do in this case? Should i go ahead or apply to another school.

Pls do ur findings on cic website before commitment. International students are expected to study Full time to be elligible gor PGWP.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by lamama1: 5:42am On Jan 02, 2016
Nigeria student in selkirk college....pls let's hook up...I am here and it feels so strange

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by notasowie: 8:34am On Jan 02, 2016
Plss I want to study post graduate diploma in human resource management with a GPA of 2.57, in a very cheap school ..plss I need help
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by jojcanada(f): 1:31pm On Jan 03, 2016
Happy new year people. I haven't been on here in a while. Life in Canada has been so fast. I just want to encourage everyone that with hard work and God you will succeed. I did an 8 months programme at Seneca college and a 4 month coop (Jan - dec 2015). My first job which started in Dec is as an IT Project Manager earning over $80k per annum. Stay focused and you can do it too, do not try to cut corners or beat the system. Canada is a land of opportunities and with God's grace and handwork the sky is your limit.

I just thought to encourage all those aspiring to come, the new comers and those who have finished studying. Get on the express entry pool as soon as possible because things are about to change pretty quickly.

God bless you all and have a beautiful year in Canada

28 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 2:36pm On Jan 03, 2016
jojcanada:
Happy new year people. I haven't been on here in a while. Life in Canada has been so fast. I just want to encourage everyone that with hard work and God you will succeed. I did an 8 months programme at Seneca college and a 4 month coop (Jan - dec 2015). My first job which started in Dec is as an IT Project Manager earning over $80k per annum. Stay focused and you can do it too, do not try to cut corners or beat the system. Canada is a land of opportunities and with God's grace and handwork the sky is your limit.

I just thought to encourage all those aspiring to come, the new comers and those who have finished studying. Get on the express entry pool as soon as possible because things are about to change pretty quickly.

congrats jojcanada. indeed, time flies fast. I remember back then you were making enquiries on this forum about changing your UK driver's license to an Ontario license. All the best.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by sholay2011(m): 2:58pm On Jan 03, 2016
jojcanada:

shocked shocked Oh boy....eh eh. This is God's blessing o. $80k per annum??

BTW, I just resumed Masters study last year Sept...what do you mean things are about to change quickly with respect to PR? Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by jojcanada(f): 3:20pm On Jan 03, 2016
Thanks.... yup seems like such a long time ago. you guys were so helpful. God has been faithful. E remain to collect PR and buy house. my hubby has also settled here so we good. smiley

How's your end?

saxywale:

congrats jojcanada. indeed, time flies fast. I remember back then you were making enquiries on this forum about changing your UK driver's license to an Ontario license. All the best.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by jojcanada(f): 3:25pm On Jan 03, 2016
we're hopeful that with the new govt, the scores will come down drastically or more points be awarded to international students. so we might see a lot of people receiving ITA for PR this quarter.

all the best with your masters, you still have a little way to go. but study hard. i got 4.0 out of 4.0 GPA so that really helped me.

sholay2011:

shocked shocked Oh boy....eh eh. This is God's blessing o. $80k per annum??

BTW, I just resumed Masters study last year Sept...what do you mean things are about to change quickly with respect to PR? Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 3:27pm On Jan 03, 2016
jojcanada:
Thanks.... yup seems like such a long time ago. you guys were so helpful. God has been faithful. E remain to collect PR and buy house. my hubby has also settled here so we good. smiley

How's your end?

Wow. Your hubby moved already. That's awesome; nothing beats having family or loved ones around.
Alberta is fine and family is doing great. I currently shuttle btw Alberta and Saskatchewan for work and study. Wife also cleared all her licensure exams to practice as a pharmacist in December. 2015 was very good. 2016 is gonna be best. Regards to your husband.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jan 03, 2016
jojcanada:

How's your end?

You should easily be nominated for the Ontario pnp program. I know they have been active in selecting people with just over 400 points, and 80k is excellent pay for Ontario considering the fact that houses are cheaper and it's more urban than any other province. Also. my favourite; Nigeria is not so faraway from Ontario when compared to the western provinces grin
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by jojcanada(f): 3:55pm On Jan 03, 2016
congrats to your Mrs, not easy passing these exams here. I already applied for the Ontario PNP, awaiting nomination. my score is over 440 so crossing my fingers that the law bends in my favour or i get nominated this month.
I love the location, ontario is close to a lot of places. Different flights to tons of countries and pretty affordable. i've been doing a lot of travelling (i know i should be saving too).

I'm glad things are working out and wish you a fab 2016. Let's keep in touch and keep helping people achieve the Canadian dream.Regards to your wife.

saxywale:

You should easily be nominated for the Ontario pnp program. I know they have been active in selecting people with just over 400 points, and 80k is excellent pay for Ontario considering the fact that houses are cheaper and it's more urban than any other province. Also. my favourite; Nigeria is not so faraway from Ontario when compared to the western provinces grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 4:10pm On Jan 03, 2016
jojcanada:
congrats to your Mrs, not easy passing these exams here. I already applied for the Ontario PNP, awaiting nomination. my score is over 440 so crossing my fingers that the law bends in my favour or i get nominated this month.
I love the location, ontario is close to a lot of places. Different flights to tons of countries and pretty affordable. i've been doing a lot of travelling (i know i should be saving too).

I'm glad things are working out and wish you a fab 2016. Let's keep in touch and keep helping people achieve the Canadian dream.Regards to your wife.

You would definitely be nominated by God's grace. Canada retains the brightest; rewards excellence and academic high achievers.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ekpblues8: 1:14am On Jan 04, 2016
@LAMAMA1:i guess ure new in selkirk college.what course are u studying?ur year and level?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by lamama1: 6:49am On Jan 04, 2016
ekpblues8:
@LAMAMA1:i guess ure new in selkirk college.what course are u studying?ur year and level?

Yea. PGD Business admin
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:54pm On Jan 04, 2016
@jojcanada, can you assist me with information on the easiest way to move in to Canada as a student? I have BSc in Insurance and Actuarial Science.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Vblossom: 1:54pm On Jan 04, 2016
jamebex:

response please!
Joebest, please whats the name of the school you saw in their website that offer free acccomodation and stipends to international student so i can peruse their site . regards[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Vblossom: 2:11pm On Jan 04, 2016
lamama1:
Nigeria student in selkirk college....pls let's hook up...I am here and it feels so strange

Laimama, please am planning to come there soon. what do think i should know or have before coming?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Ojah1: 3:16pm On Jan 04, 2016
Make I dey follow this thread..

Following ..
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Jchi9876: 3:56pm On Jan 04, 2016
Ojah1:
Make I dey follow this thread..

Following ..

Profojah??
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by opia12345: 5:24pm On Jan 04, 2016
all the best with your masters, you still have a little way to go. but study hard. i got 4.0 out of 4.0 GPA so that really helped me.

Mama,@jojcanada, I will like you to give me some advice. I was attracted to your thread and I realize you will be of assistance. I sent a message to you to contact , hope u will acknowledge it. I did computer mathematics in school with a 2.2 back in 2008, I have 5 years experience in IT with MCP,ITIL ,Oracle sql expert as certification on hand , I applied to fanshawe college in London Ontario for an IT related course( network security management) , but its 30weeks and no co-op. I learnt they can only gv me 8 months work permit, I believe u understand my plight now. Presently I put in for may 2016 admission, i shud pay the first term fee by feb 1, what is the possibility of not returning to Nigeria after the expiration of the 8 work permit, is it possibility to do part time work as soon as I resume class, what advice can you give, I wont mind to change school, course, and go for September admission to achieve this. I can send my mail to you as PM. thanks. assist a brother.. waiting , abeg biko..
[/quote]
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by opia12345: 5:27pm On Jan 04, 2016
Mama,@jojcanada, I will like you to give me some advice. I was attracted to your thread and I realize you will be of assistance. I sent a message to you to contact , hope u will acknowledge it. I did computer mathematics in school with a 2.2 back in 2008, I have 5 years experience in IT with MCP,ITIL ,Oracle sql expert as certification on hand , I applied to fanshawe college in London Ontario for an IT related course( network security management) , but its 30weeks and no co-op. I learnt they can only gv me 8 months work permit, I believe u understand my plight now. Presently I put in for may 2016 admission, i shud pay the first term fee by feb 1, what is the possibility of not returning to Nigeria after the expiration of the 8 work permit, is it possibility to do part time work as soon as I resume class, what advice can you give, I wont mind to change school, course, and go for September admission to achieve this. I can send my mail to you as PM. thanks. assist a brother.. waiting , abeg biko..

jojcanada:

How's your end?

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Ojah1: 5:44pm On Jan 04, 2016
Jchi9876:

Profojah??
Kobe79.. Been a while boss, I see how you've been dazzling with your friend on the other thread,.You very funny I swear grin
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ekpblues8: 12:34am On Jan 05, 2016
@LAMAMA1:my cousin just started class at selkirk college 2day. hes studying business administration diploma(2 yrs) at undergraduate level.presently in his 1st year. he travelled on 28th dec 2015.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ekpblues8: 12:35am On Jan 05, 2016
@LAMAMA1: i want to believe there are nigerians in your class.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by misszionboo(f): 3:38am On Jan 05, 2016
Vblossom:
I Learnt on this trend that VO dont give Visa for part time studies. i have a bachelor degree in Nursing. am applying to CONESTOGA COLLEGE. Post Graduate Certificate in Critical and Critical Care Nursing. NOTE; The course is only available in part time for international student. The such course in full time for international student What should i do in this case? Should i go ahead or apply to another school.
to say Conestoga only have part time in critical care is not true dear. Iyaejima was in the programme before she got her admission for masters and it was full time. Do your findings well dear.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by misszionboo(f): 3:43am On Jan 05, 2016
As for surviving in Canada. I will say it's God and determination. I knw pple who make 3k monthly while in school, believe me wen I say dey have no social life. All they do is work,class and sleep with the little spare time dey have. Don't come here all in the hope of coming to upload pictures on Facebook,ig etc just knw wat you re here for and believe me the sKY will be your starting point. Funny enough their school system isn't so difficult. Just knw wat you re doing and u will be fine.

16 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by mctowel01: 3:54pm On Jan 05, 2016
Hello guys, I know I my question might be off or need to do a little reading before asking. Anyways, I ll still ask:
I want to study Electrical/engineering masters in canada. But my cgpa from bsc elect/elect in nigeria was 3.24. Do I still stand a chance to get admitted to a good/worthwile school and getting visa. Due to my cgpa, I ve based my research and preparations are currently on australia, thats why I havent given canada a thought.
But, is there still hope. My budget is currently strictly N10m. I am just asking to know if the money can still be worthwile spent on a school in canada as I have heard that canada is economically better than australia.

Finally, my goal apart from the studies is to get permanent residence. Will I find it easier, can someone summarize essential elements of getting the permanent residence through the route I am following.
NB: I dont know anyone in canada for any family/sponsorship benefits. I just want a job nd stay in EEng after my program.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by maximus89: 7:23pm On Jan 05, 2016
please how important is this WES evaluation to we international students/nigerians cos i want to apply for them to evaluate my transcript before applying for admission and visa...i have a Bsc statistics from a nigerian uni, pls is there any advantage in d future,mayb using it as my bsc degree certificate in canada to get job..cos i am planning to apply for a pdg in information security mgt in fanshawe college. please will b glad to get a candid reply
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Siga: 8:17pm On Jan 05, 2016
maximus89:
please how important is this WES evaluation to we international students/nigerians cos i want to apply for them to evaluate my transcript before applying for admission and visa...i have a Bsc statistics from a nigerian uni, pls is there any advantage in d future,mayb using it as my bsc degree certificate in canada to get job..cos i am planning to apply for a pdg in information security mgt in fanshawe college. please will b glad to get a candid reply
.... U dont need WES evaluation to secure admission .... I am sure u will get the admission for ISM at Fanshawe... very good program and u wont regret it but it takes alot of dedication, dont ask me how I know... Jobs... finish the ISM and use ur previous work experience as added advantage...
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by maximus89: 2:16am On Jan 06, 2016
thank you so much..i really appreciate ur advice. pls can u help me throw more light on how good ISM is and also d only work experience i have in that field is my IT experience with GTBank..any benefits pls i am a novice..HELP
pls how can i get nigerians that have aprtment for rent cos i dont want to stay in d school hostel or home stay cos of d cost.. like how much should i budget for aprtment,i need just 1 room for myself and whats ur best advice for getting accomodation in canada. tpls i need ur advice thank u
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by maximus89: 3:21am On Jan 06, 2016
good morning my nairalanders, pls i have a family friend who want to stand as my uncle/sponsor...and he is a business man, pls like how much is advisable for me to have in my account since i have a sponsor and i dont have any source of income except my nysc allowee (will b due april 2016) and someother little runs i do that can make me have a balance of like 500_700k. and what documents does my sponsor need to provide to show he is related to me. pls i wud appreciate a candid response pls.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by notasowie: 7:03am On Jan 06, 2016
Vblossom:

Joebest, please whats the name of the school you saw in their website that offer free acccomodation and stipends to international student so i can peruse their site . regards[color=#000099][/color]
i m new here am about applying for memorial university what do u think ,and I don't know how to go abt it plsss I need urgent reply

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) ... (84) (Reply)

Thread for South Korea prospective students / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.