Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,424 members, 7,819,536 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:42 PM

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? - Travel (46) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? (534286 Views)

Pls I Want To Travel To Canada How Do I Start An How Much Is The Cost / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (84) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 10:16pm On Apr 14, 2016
GboyegaD:

What are they eating that cost $500 monthly? No be house food and their snacks?
The $500 I quoted for a family of 3 was for bills, feeding, and upkeep.
contract line for both husband and wife would cost atleast $80/month.
diapers for child would cost around $40/month, telus or Shaw around $60/month. enmax $50/month. I have assumed heating and water is part of the rent for the basement. The price i listed up here are conservative.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 10:19pm On Apr 14, 2016
GboyegaD:

Not true boss. My friend with his HND (part time) who came visiting and got the church help him apply for a work permit got a job that pays $88kCAD with Telus in 2014. Some other people who came in with FSW got great jobs without studying in Canada. Life works based on our beliefs (my opinion of life).
what kind of work permit is that or program did he apply for? you mean he came on a visit visa and the visit visa was converted to work permit? never heard of it before, atleast in Canada.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by GboyegaD(m): 11:11pm On Apr 14, 2016
princey83:

what kind of work permit is that or program did he apply for? you mean he came on a visit visa and the visit visa was converted to work permit? never heard of it before, atleast in Canada.

All you need is an organization to help you apply for the work permit. He is my church member and I know him very well.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by GboyegaD(m): 11:12pm On Apr 14, 2016
princey83:

The $500 I quoted for a family of 3 was for bills, feeding, and upkeep.
contract line for both husband and wife would cost atleast $80/month.
diapers for child would cost around $40/month, telus or Shaw around $60/month. enmax $50/month. I have assumed heating and water is part of the rent for the basement. The price i listed up here are conservative.

If it is inclusive of bills, that is fine.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nyquist(m): 11:36pm On Apr 14, 2016
GboyegaD:

Not true boss. My friend with his HND (part time) who came visiting and got the church help him apply for a work permit got a job that pays $88kCAD with Telus in 2014. Some other people who came in with FSW got great jobs without studying in Canada. Life works based on our beliefs (my opinion of life).
These are rare cases. My point is, with a Canadian certificate you stand a greater chance without the need to meet anyone to help you.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by GboyegaD(m): 1:02am On Apr 15, 2016
Nyquist:

These are rare cases. My point is, with a Canadian certificate you stand a greater chance without the need to meet anyone to help you.

His needing help from the church was because he came in with a visiting visa and wanted to stay back. As we speak, he has been called to apply for Express Entry and his passport has been requested.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 2:32am On Apr 15, 2016
holotee:

I have a friend that did a 1 year study, got a one year work permit and he got his PR a month to the expiration of his work permit. I have another one who studied for a year and then got a 3 year work permit. The rule says 1 year study = 1 year work permit; 2 year study = 3 year work permit. Its more at the discretion of the officer viewing your forms and giving you the appropriate permit. Unfortunately you dont choose the officer in charge. You might however be lucky and get more than you're supposed to get. Some people have the "balls" to take that chance. Its really up to you to make up your mind.
This is wrong advice bro. How on God's green earth can you study for a year and then get a 3 year work permit!!! You're telling him to do something wrong and then place his trust in God for a miracle?! #SMH

aishate:

Hi holotee i have applied for two different masters programs in Canada one is a 12 month M.Eng program the other is a 2 year M.ASc program. My interest lie more in the first program but the problem is the limited one year work permit i would get when i am done. Should i go for the second program instead?
aishate it's not rocket science, go for the 2 year M.ASc and enjoy your 3 years work permit, when you can then take it easy to pursue your PR. Thank me later.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 7:42am On Apr 15, 2016
GboyegaD:

GboyegaD:

His needing help from the church was because he came in with a visiting visa and wanted to stay back. As we speak, he has been called to apply for Express Entry and his passport has been requested.

..with all due respect I find it difficult to believe this. How did he convert visiting visa to work permit legally?

9 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by GboyegaD(m): 3:26pm On Apr 15, 2016
justwise:

..with all due respect I find it difficult to believe this. How did he convert visiting visa to work permit legally?

Perhaps you skipped where I wrote that the church helped him get his work permit. If he wasn't a church member that I know too well, I might also doubt the story. Anyways, latest good news is that he got an appointment for landing at downtown for the 26th of this month with his family so they don't have to drive to a border town for that.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 3:38pm On Apr 15, 2016
GboyegaD:

Perhaps you skipped where I wrote that the church helped him get his work permit. If he wasn't a church member that I know too well, I might also doubt the story. Anyways, latest good news is that he got an appointment for landing at downtown for the 26th of this month with his family so they don't have to drive to a border town for that.
lol. how is that even possible. Landing is done at borders where you have CBA officers, and not downtown Vancouver or Calgary or wherever.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by holotee(m): 4:11pm On Apr 15, 2016
3doursdown:

This is wrong advice bro. How on God's green earth can you study for a year and then get a 3 year work permit!!! You're telling him to do something wrong and then place his trust in God for a miracle?! #SMH

Please read my reply again. I never said study for 1 year and get 3 years. I was giving a real life scenario of people that I know personally that got 2 and 3 years work permit after studying for a year. You can decide to play it safe and study for 2 years or take the risk.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 4:15pm On Apr 15, 2016
GboyegaD:

Bro church is not immigration office and i still don't understand the whole story. How did he managed to convert visiting visa to work permit in Canada?

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by GboyegaD(m): 5:21pm On Apr 15, 2016
princey83:

lol. how is that even possible. Landing is done at borders where you have CBA officers, and not downtown Vancouver or Calgary or wherever.

When you don't have all information about things, instead of doubt, ask questions. If you cannot go to a border town, you can call service Canada and they will book you to do it in their closest office to you. Ask from those whose done landing instead of coming here to show your ignorance.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by GboyegaD(m): 5:26pm On Apr 15, 2016
justwise:

Bro church is not immigration office and i still don't understand the whole story. How did he managed to convert visiting visa to work permit in Canada?

A church can help you apply for a work permit. The procedures I do not know though. Perhaps, those who came in on visiting and got their church to help them change their status can tell the process.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 5:52pm On Apr 15, 2016
GboyegaD:

A church can help you apply for a work permit. The procedures I do not know though. Perhaps, those who came in on visiting and got their church to help them change their status can tell the process.

You know as much as i do that this is all shady, there is no depart in church that deals with immigration.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by GboyegaD(m): 6:25pm On Apr 15, 2016
justwise:

You know as much as i do that this is all shady, there is no depart in church that deals with immigration.

I will not agree with you that it is shady. It is rather unfortunate I do not understand the entire process, thereby, making it difficult to give you full details on the procedures or how to go about the search for the process on cic website. There are laws in every country and there are various routes that could be exploited however, we not been immigration experts might not know about them. I am sure I would have been very skeptical like many will be if he wasn't worshiping in my church, if he wasn't my friend, and if I had not known when he joined the church. All I know is that it was handled by a law firm that specializes on immigration.

I might stylishly ask him the procedure though just to be more knowledgeable about it.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:13pm On Apr 15, 2016
GboyegaD:

When you don't have all information about things, instead of doubt, ask questions. If you cannot go to a border town, you can call service Canada and they will book you to do it in their closest office to you. Ask from those whose done landing instead of coming here to show your ignorance.
Okay I hear you. Just that I don't believe in hearsay.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by GboyegaD(m): 7:17pm On Apr 15, 2016
princey83:

Okay I hear you. Just that I don't believe in hearsay.

In that case, call service Canada to confirm. If you think theirs is also hearsay, then I give up.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by RealJ: 12:01am On Apr 18, 2016
holotee:

I remember the first time i came in too, my peeps wanted me to stay in calgary and withdraw from the college i originally applied to in London. I am happy i declined eventually. It cost me more but the experience i got is priceless. Most colleges hardly do refunds when it comes to tuition. Even if they do refund you, its never 100% and the process can be long and grueling. Also, i don't thing you're allowed to stay out of school for more than 4 months even if its between colleges. Its an automatic red flag for CIC because the question is, what have you been doing in Canada for the last 5 months ? Also, your college is obligated to report to the CIC if you are not attending classes. Its part of the audit process.

You are giving advice based on your own experiences. I am not withdrawing to sit at home and become an illegal immigrant here, I have another admission starting in September, and I have changed my DLI on my cic account so there is a difference in our cases. As for the refund, they will keep a percentage, that's their policy, I'm not expecting all of the money back. I have spoken to another Nigerian student here with an admission in September, he even came in March and was allowed at POE because he showed enough funds to support himself without working.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ceemac: 12:19am On Apr 18, 2016
For the records..

Anyone got idea about the possibility of approaching a Professor on arrival to Canada about a possibility of research with him/her...

Do they allow, Hope they won't see it as being rude and what is the probability of keying into and assenting an approval to this approach as most of them seems not to be replying their mails..

CC: holotee, IyaEjima and other Gurus in the house...
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by OpeLovely(f): 5:06pm On Apr 18, 2016
Please can anyone give suggestions on how someone can get accommodation in Canada from Nigeria before landing? School accommodations are very expensive. Students over there that do not have siblings to perch with, how did you cope

Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:10pm On Apr 18, 2016
OpeLovely:
Please can anyone give suggestions on how someone can get accommodation in Canada from Nigeria before landing? School accommodations are very expensive. Students over there that do not have siblings to perch with, how did you cope

Thanks

Nairaland is over 10 years old that all the answers you need are already here if you know how to search.

Type this in your google search bar: site:nairaland.com accommodation Canada student

Goodluck!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by OpeLovely(f): 12:19pm On Apr 20, 2016
3doursdown:

Nairaland is over 10 years old that all the answers you need are already here if you know how to search.

Type this in your google search bar: site:nairaland.com accommodation Canada student

Goodluck!

I cannot begin to thank you enough. I got a lot of pointers. Thank you so much.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by kayceekels: 8:22pm On Apr 20, 2016
Pls does anyone in the house know if Canadian school fees can still be paid using CBN rates? Please I need facts and not speculations. Thanks y'all
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by yungmin: 9:26pm On Apr 20, 2016
how easy it is to get research or teaching assistantship for an Msc programme in any of the Canadian schools
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by blackhoney(f): 4:03pm On Apr 21, 2016
blackhoney:
kudos to u all this thread is awesome am a graduate of banking and finance graduated 2013 completed service 2015 I HV HV admission to studydiploma in practical nursing in Lethbridge college I Dont think it a crime to change career gurus in d house wat ur take on dis
pls I need ur view on dis
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Siga: 4:31pm On Apr 21, 2016
GboyegaD:

I will not agree with you that it is shady. It is rather unfortunate I do not understand the entire process, thereby, making it difficult to give you full details on the procedures or how to go about the search for the process on cic website. There are laws in every country and there are various routes that could be exploited however, we not been immigration experts might not know about them. I am sure I would have been very skeptical like many will be if he wasn't worshiping in my church, if he wasn't my friend, and if I had not known when he joined the church. All I know is that it was handled by a law firm that specializes on immigration.

I might stylishly ask him the procedure though just to be more knowledgeable about it.
...Gboye... trust me.. there is more to the story that you are been told... the most common way is for a compassionate reason to secure temporary stay and secure a work permit... then PR after... but... its very rare to see a church stand in for someone like that... more to know.... ask him but be rest assured u may not get much details than he is letting out....don't wanna say he claimed refugee
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by GboyegaD(m): 4:48pm On Apr 21, 2016
Siga:
...Gboye... trust me.. there is more to the story that you are been told... the most common way is for a compassionate reason to secure temporary stay and secure a work permit... then PR after... but... its very rare to see a church stand in for someone like that... more to know.... ask him but be rest assured u may not get much details than he is letting out....don't wanna say he claimed refugee

I had to ask him on Sunday and he told me the church gave the wife a job with which they applied for work permit.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Siga: 4:49pm On Apr 21, 2016
GboyegaD:

I had to ask him on Sunday and he told me the church gave the wife a job with which they applied for work permit.
... Now u are talking.... makes more sense now... a church is seen as a charitable organization... they are given opportunity to hire based on their need... they church must have structured the employment letter to state no other person can do the job the way it benefits the church.... most likely if the church is a Naija church... they may insist of someone that speaks native languages...
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by GboyegaD(m): 5:19pm On Apr 21, 2016
Siga:
... Now u are talking.... makes more sense now... a church is seen as a charitable organization... they are given opportunity to hire based on their need... they church must have structured the employment letter to state no other person can do the job the way it benefits the church.... most likely if the church is a Naija church... they may insist of someone that speaks native languages...

That is possible because it is "Cherubim and Seraphim Movement Church". How have you been?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Siga: 5:36pm On Apr 21, 2016
GboyegaD:

That is possible because it is "Cherubim and Seraphim Movement Church". How have you been?
.... Ahh... there u go...I can bet top dollar, they wont be the first or last to be "assisted" by the church... wink wink ... all na packaging grin grin ...case closed...lol... I dey cool my brother... hope all is well..
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nyquist(m): 2:08am On Apr 22, 2016
ceemac:
For the records..

Anyone got idea about the possibility of approaching a Professor on arrival to Canada about a possibility of research with him/her...

Do they allow, Hope they won't see it as being rude and what is the probability of keying into and assenting an approval to this approach as most of them seems not to be replying their mails..

CC: holotee, IyaEjima and other Gurus in the house...

You can get a prof. As ur research supervisor when u arrive at your school, they are more likely to listen to you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (84) (Reply)

Thread for South Korea prospective students / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.