Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,620 members, 7,770,652 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 12:34 PM

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? (530949 Views)

Pls I Want To Travel To Canada How Do I Start An How Much Is The Cost / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (84) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by rockafela(m): 10:42am On May 03, 2012
U of R students shuld hit me
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by monosetale: 10:57am On May 03, 2012
good morning house, please i want to ask what i can do to help matters regarding my study permit visa app. i submitted my application since early February and my lectures are due to start may 7th i.e next week monday in toronto, i going for computer programming diploma,i already have a b.sc here in naija in physics i have served(n.y.s.c) paid my tuition fee in canada, submitted all the required documents via V.A.C office in lagos but i haven't gotten any word from the canadian embassy. please what do i do? thank in advance, i need as much contribution as possible.do i send the embassy an email? i need replies please.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by monosetale: 11:09am On May 03, 2012
i've called the VAC office twice daily for the past week and they said there's nothing from the embassy yet.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by monosetale: 10:58am On May 04, 2012
^^^ my tuition per session was $13,000 and i paid for one semester plus $500 for hostel deposit.. i didn't understand when you said my visa could be thrown off? can they do that without informing me?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by newacca: 4:51pm On May 04, 2012
I will become a full member of this thread very soon (God willing) smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 4:58pm On May 04, 2012
newacca: I will become a full member of this thread very soon (God willing) smiley

What is the criteria for being a full time member of a thread . . . tongue
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by newacca: 5:15pm On May 04, 2012
@Fhemmy,
grin no criteria brov. it's just that I will be active on this thread when I actually get my TRV and when I get to Canada. I am active on the TRAVELLING TO CANADA PART 1 AND 2 thread. So,what I mean is that I'm gonna be more active here when I get my TRV(God willing)cos it's more useful for 9ja students already studying in CA and those that are already with their TRV. smiley
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 8:10pm On May 04, 2012
newacca: @Fhemmy,
grin no criteria brov. it's just that I will be active on this thread when I actually get my TRV and when I get to Canada. I am active on the TRAVELLING TO CANADA PART 1 AND 2 thread. So,what I mean is that I'm gonna be more active here when I get my TRV(God willing)cos it's more useful for 9ja students already studying in CA and those that are already with their TRV. smiley

OK, i can understand now . . .
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by bamshy: 5:19am On May 07, 2012
Fhemmmy:

OK, i can understand now . . .

@Fhemmmy, @delta007, @hotstepper, @aydewale, @aydracula, @bigbash, @Toni, @wonderbod:

All of these people and more started this thread as far back as 2008! We need their success stories here!

https://www.nairaland.com/931658/success-stories-travel-canada
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by bamshy: 5:22am On May 07, 2012
Hello All, this thread became necessary when i noticed that many enthusiasts on the 'travelling to Canada thread' suddenly disappear from Nairaland after few months of arrival in Canada. The 'travelling to Canada' thread started as far back as 2008! Today, we rarely hear of what came out of the journey especially the achievements in school and after school.

I hope Nigerians in Canada will share their success stories on this thread to encourage potential Nigerians aiming to pursue their ambition in Canada. Your advice for or against travelling to Canada will be appreciated!
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by earthgreeners(m): 1:16pm On May 07, 2012
@all///I want to convert a CGPA of 4.39 on a 5.0 scale to 4.0 in order to apply for a program in canada..who can help plz.......................
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 2:25pm On May 07, 2012
bamshy:

@Fhemmmy, @delta007, @hotstepper, @aydewale, @aydracula, @bigbash, @Toni, @wonderbod:

All of these people and more started this thread as far back as 2008! We need their success stories here!

https://www.nairaland.com/931658/success-stories-travel-canada

Not a bad idea . . .
But always remember that 10 lepers were healed and only one came back to give thanks

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by lillaowow(m): 4:33pm On May 07, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Not a bad idea . . .
But always remember that 10 lepers were healed and only one came back to give thanks

Hmmm.....
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 6:06pm On May 07, 2012
lillaowow:
Hmmm.....

Na true now, i have learnt to blv tht We, Nigerians think that the world owe us something and thereby not appreciative at all once we get what we looking for.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by bamshy: 6:11pm On May 07, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Not a bad idea . . .

I'm glad you understand the reason behind having a thread of success stories to encourage us. Unfortunately, the "almighty" moderators in their WISDOM have removed the thread. Something, I knew they would do. It's all good. We are on their property, so they can disrespect our views without blinking!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:13pm On May 07, 2012
^Too true!
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 6:15pm On May 07, 2012
bamshy:

I'm glad you understand the reason behind having a thread of success stories to encourage us. Unfortunately, the "almighty" moderators in their WISDOM have removed the thread. Something, I knew they would do. It's all good. We are on their property, so they can disrespect our views without blinking!

Justwise(Moderator) is a great guy though, i am sure there is just some misunderstanding . . . . Get in touch with him and i am sure he will take care of it.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by newacca: 9:54pm On May 07, 2012
The Moderators might think that some unscrupulous elements may fabricate fakes success stories for people to fall victim. Though Bamshy's idea is great after all.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by geotherm: 1:16pm On May 11, 2012
Thanks all for the enlightenment. My admission letter for petroleum geology will reach me next week. The program starts September, 2012. I hope to start visa application in Ca embassy in Nigeria in June, this is to enable me gather the financial requirement. Is it tooo late? Do I have a chance to get visa permit, I have already concluded a masters program in Germany.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 7:15pm On May 11, 2012
bamshy:

Thank God i did not let you down.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 2:40pm On May 12, 2012
lufondu: Thanks all for the enlightenment. My admission letter for petroleum geology will reach me next week. The program starts September, 2012. I hope to start visa application in Ca embassy in Nigeria in June, this is to enable me gather the financial requirement. Is it tooo late? Do I have a chance to get visa permit, I have already concluded a masters program in Germany.

I will advice that you contact the embassy and talk to them to see if you still have the time to be able to apply and get it done . . . Time is not on your side, but better to talk to those that works there, you never can tell.
Good luck
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by earthgreeners(m): 10:05pm On May 13, 2012
Anyone here with info on Univerisity of Manitoba and University of Saskatchewan..
Do dey request tuition deposit?..
Whatz the probability of securing funding with a CGPA of 4.39 and Higher GPA in my last semesters...
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Toronto123: 3:28pm On May 14, 2012
I will share my success story.

I have been in Canadian for almost 10 years. Came as an international student right after secondary school. I got my PR right after university and now i am a Canadian Citizen working for one of the biggest companies in Canada.

The secret to my success was to attend a school far away from distraction (in the country , i.e. Atlantic Canada). I hardly visit Toronto and avoided big cities to avoid the temptation may foolish Nigerian kids fall trap to. P.S try and avoid schools in Toronto
I hardly hung out with Nigerian; i said to myself i came to this country to mix and meet new people and that exactly what i did. Tip: Avoid all these Redeemed Church and Christ Embassy (no offense, but before you know you don join choir and youth ministry.. all these things takes away from your time and study period)
I graduated with a first class degree, the only Nigeria/African in my School at that time and guess what, I was picked immediately by a company.
I hope this helps

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by bamshy: 5:16pm On May 14, 2012
Toronto123: I will share my success story.

I have been in Canadian for almost 10 years. Came as an international student right after secondary school. I got my PR right after university and now i am a Canadian Citizen working for one of the biggest companies in Canada.

The secret to my success was to attend a school far away from distraction (in the country , i.e. Atlantic Canada). I hardly visit Toronto and avoided big cities to avoid the temptation may foolish Nigerian kids fall trap to. P.S try and avoid schools in Toronto
I hardly hung out with Nigerian; i said to myself i came to this country to mix and meet new people and that exactly what i did. Tip: Avoid all these Redeemed Church and Christ Embassy (no offense, but before you know you don join choir and youth ministry.. all these things takes away from your time and study period)
I graduated with a first class degree, the only Nigeria/African in my School at that time and guess what, I was picked immediately by a company.
I hope this helps

Thanks a lot! My aim was to get success stories like yours on a separate thread to avoid deviating from the topic of this thread. Nonetheless, I'm glad with hardwork & focus and God on your side, you are one of the successes we can look up to. Thanks for the time to drop these few lines. God bless!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by earthgreeners(m): 9:59am On May 15, 2012
bamshy:

Thanks a lot! My aim was to get success stories like yours on a separate thread to avoid deviating from the topic of this thread. Nonetheless, I'm glad with hardwork & focus and God on your side, you are one of the successes we can look up to. Thanks for the time to drop these few lines. God bless!

If u attend university in Nigeria and you graduated well.....i dnt tink u cld get distracted anywhere

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 2:52pm On May 15, 2012
earthgreeners:

If u attend university in Nigeria and you graduated well.....i dnt tink u cld get distracted anywhere

That is not totally true . . Cos in Nigeria, Dad and Mom pays for everything.
But here, you are on your own and distractions here is just in your face and if you dont know what you are doing, you could club your certificate on every friday night and forget to do your projects.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Toronto123: 9:10pm On May 15, 2012
earthgreeners:

The Educational system here in Canada is way harder than Nigeria in terms of structure. This is not a country where you can just cram and then go to exam. You will not survive one semester. Everything here is application and presentation skills. You can easily get distracted, trust me. I still have a few Nigerians here still not out of University or even with a PR card and we all came together. There spent their time socializing with Nigerians and forming association of Nigerian and got distracted. Don't get me wrong, it’s good to socialize but when i realized the sacrifices my parents made and what there gave up to send me here, the least i could do is get a first class degree by making extra effort and focusing on the task at hand. If you do great in school you will end up in Toronto working for a great company.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by rockafela(m): 10:07pm On May 15, 2012
hmmmmmmm
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 2:21am On May 16, 2012
Toronto123:

The Educational system here in Canada is way harder than Nigeria in terms of structure. This is not a country where you can just cram and then go to exam. You will not survive one semester. Everything here is application and presentation skills. You can easily get distracted, trust me. I still have a few Nigerians here still not out of University or even with a PR card and we all came together. There spent their time socializing with Nigerians and forming association of Nigerian and got distracted. Don't get me wrong, it’s good to socialize but when i realized the sacrifices my parents made and what there gave up to send me here, the least i could do is get a first class degree by making extra effort and focusing on the task at hand. If you do great in school you will end up in Toronto working for a great company.

Well Said, and at the end of the day, it is for your own good.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 10:21pm On May 16, 2012
Dear all,
I applied for trv and study permit for Sept. My admission letter has 3 start dates -May, Sept and Jan, but i†̥ must bε̲̣ in d first week of lectures. I intend to go for Jan admission due to f fact dt ill get my study leave by Nov but I applied for Sept cos most of my friends dt left hardly got visa d session they aPplied due to delay in processing.

Currently, I noticed the processing τ̅im̶̲̥̅̊ƨ has greatly improved . if my visa application is granted for Sept, can I leave by Jan bearing in mind that my admission offer has a̶̲̥̅̊ start date in Jan or d̶̲̥̅̊o I go and retrieve my application? If trv is issued, does i†̥ carry latest date of entry ? heard d study permit is issued at the point of entry, will this arrangement affect d issuance of study permit? Plz reply as am co fused .

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (84) (Reply)

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.