Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,504 members, 7,770,261 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 08:18 AM

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? (530937 Views)

Pls I Want To Travel To Canada How Do I Start An How Much Is The Cost / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (84) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by pauloman(m): 6:53pm On Apr 04, 2012
Fhemmmy:

That is not 100% true, you dont need home-stay to get your bearings.
Besides, no one ever said home-stay is not good, just that it is not cheap choice for students that can't afford huge expenses.

Getting an apartment to share close to schools are not too uncommon . . . Yes, people might get back room mates, however, they could get bad host as well in home-stay . .

there are always several ways to introduce one's business . . .

@fhemmy...which do u think is advisable for a FSW immigrant relocating to Niagara falls area in Ontario.....an hotel accomodation or what medlabgirl is advertising or ? Please do enlighten me. Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 7:00pm On Apr 04, 2012
pauloman:

@fhemmy...which do u think is advisable for a FSW immigrant relocating to Niagara falls area in Ontario.....an hotel accomodation or what medlabgirl is advertising or ? Please do enlighten me. Thanks

There is nothing wrong in what is being advertised.
Also, if you know people that could help you secure an apartment before you land, there is nothing wrong in that as well.
Staying in an hotel for even a week before you get somewhere to stay could be expensive and might even be more than a week . . .
All have their pros and cons . . . But you could start looking even before you get to Canada, but you will have to liase with people that you could trust and who can trust you.
Cos let us assume i work with you and secure a place for you, how do i know you will like it, or will even act good while there.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by rapheal2k9: 7:30pm On Apr 04, 2012
Anyone from University of Regina here Holla @ me I need info about accommodation and feeding... im coming for the Summer 2012 session.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by pauloman(m): 8:00pm On Apr 04, 2012
Fhemmmy:

There is nothing wrong in what is being advertised.
Also, if you know people that could help you secure an apartment before you land, there is nothing wrong in that as well.
Staying in an hotel for even a week before you get somewhere to stay could be expensive and might even be more than a week . . .
All have their pros and cons . . . But you could start looking even before you get to Canada, but you will have to liase with people that you could trust and who can trust you.
Cos let us assume i work with you and secure a place for you, how do i know you will like it, or will even act good while there.

Thanks for enlightening response . Actually securing a place when i am good to go to me is kind of going to be a temporary arrangement has i would need to gather myself together being that my work location would actually determine where my final abode would eventually be. I already have some kind of offer from a Canadian employer who have asked me to contact him once i am landed in Canada and the location of the office is Toronto area. So please i want to use this opportunity to ask if it is advisable getting an appartment in niagara falls considering the official location of the employer is in Toronto. Also what is the proximity of Toronto and Niagara falls like?

Well ,i dont really have links in the Ontario province if not it would have been a lot easier for me to work out an accomodation before coming like you rightly put it.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 8:08pm On Apr 04, 2012
pauloman:

Thanks for enlightening response . Actually securing a place when i am good to go to me is kind of going to be a temporary arrangement has i would need to gather myself together being that my work location would actually determine where my final abode would eventually be. I already have some kind of offer from a Canadian employer who have asked me to contact him once i am landed in Canada and the location of the office is Toronto area. So please i want to use this opportunity to ask if it is advisable getting an appartment in niagara falls considering the official location of the employer is in Toronto. Also what is the proximity of Toronto and Niagara falls like?

Well ,i dont really have links in the Ontario province if not it would have been a lot easier for me to work out an accomodation before coming like you rightly put it.

If you employer is in Toronto and your school is in Niagara falls, your arrangement will be a little strange.
How many days iin a week would you have to be at the office and be at school, what time of the day would you have to be at the office, i am asking this cos if you have to be in school, only for weekend classes and work full time, then, better for you to secure apartment in GTA . . but if you are at work weekends and school weekdays, better to have an apartment in Niagara, your arrangement will be a determinant factor.
But distance of Toronto to Niagara is not far at all, it is only 130Km and would be driven in an hour 30 mins considering that you are driving on a good road . . . cool
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by pauloman(m): 8:33pm On Apr 04, 2012
Fhemmmy:

If you employer is in Toronto and your school is in Niagara falls, your arrangement will be a little strange.
How many days iin a week would you have to be at the office and be at school, what time of the day would you have to be at the office, i am asking this cos if you have to be in school, only for weekend classes and work full time, then, better for you to secure apartment in GTA . . but if you are at work weekends and school weekdays, better to have an apartment in Niagara, your arrangement will be a determinant factor.
But distance of Toronto to Niagara is not far at all, it is only 130Km and would be driven in an hour 30 mins considering that you are driving on a good road . . . cool

Ok nice fhemmy but i actually intend doing my masters when i come over to Canada. But i am landing first and getting a full time paid employment before i think of enrolling for my masters program in engineering. I am actually getting my SIN and after which i resume my full time paid employment with my employer in toronto. My going to Niagara is in fulfillment of the fact that ,that is my choice of location for settlement in my immigration file. But the employment offer is at Toronto. So i want to know if it advisable to get an apartment in Niagara or in Toronto.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by pauloman(m): 8:34pm On Apr 04, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Ok nice fhemmy but i actually intend doing my masters when i come over to Canada. But i am landing first and getting a full time paid employment before i think of enrolling for my masters program in engineering. I am actually getting my SIN and after which i resume my full time paid employment with my employer in toronto. My going to Niagara is in fulfillment of the fact that ,that is my choice of location for settlement in my immigration file. But the employment offer is at Toronto. So i want to know if it advisable to get an apartment in Niagara or in Toronto.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 8:41pm On Apr 04, 2012
pauloman:

I will advice you settle in Toronto, since your employment will be in Toronto . . . If youhave to settle in Niagara, imagine yourself driving one way daily for 90 mins and with traffic will be more than that . . . so that will be like almost 4 hours of your day in traffic while you are in office for 8 hours . . . that might be too much stress.

If you want a smaller town to settle because of your family or some other reasons best known to you, there are other cities within the GTA that will be great . . . Ajax, Pickering, Brampton are all that comes to mind, not too cheap though and lifestyle there aren't bad either
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by bamshy: 9:18pm On Apr 04, 2012
Fhemmmy:

[/color]

If you don't mind, we will re-visit this if God wills. I'll act good while there. That you can be sure of.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by pauloman(m): 10:18pm On Apr 04, 2012
Fhemmmy:

I will advice you settle in Toronto, since your employment will be in Toronto . . . If youhave to settle in Niagara, imagine yourself driving one way daily for 90 mins and with traffic will be more than that . . . so that will be like almost 4 hours of your day in traffic while you are in office for 8 hours . . . that might be too much stress.

If you want a smaller town to settle because of your family or some other reasons best known to you, there are other cities within the GTA that will be great . . . Ajax, Pickering, Brampton are all that comes to mind, not too cheap though and lifestyle there aren't bad either

Ok please do u have an idea what the price range for securing like a self contain or a 2 bedroom flat is in the areas you highted above. Also when whats the proximity range like from these areas to Toronto. Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by rapheal2k9: 12:37pm On Apr 05, 2012
whats the best sim to buy for BB services
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 1:43pm On Apr 05, 2012
pauloman:

Ok please do u have an idea what the price range for securing like a self contain or a 2 bedroom flat is in the areas you highted above. Also when whats the proximity range like from these areas to Toronto. Thanks

For a 2B/D Apartment, you would get something within the range of 850$$ per month, you will be required to pay the first and the last, meaning your first rent will be 2ce the rent and you will afterwards pay your rent on the first day of every month . .
Hope this helps.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 5:47pm On Apr 05, 2012
rapheal2k9: whats the best sim to buy for BB services
_
Rogers, I think.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by rapheal2k9: 5:57pm On Apr 05, 2012
how soon can one get a job on campus. Rent and feeding is almost $800 a month shocked. a bro needs to work on campus.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 6:26pm On Apr 05, 2012
rapheal2k9: how soon can one get a job on campus. Rent and feeding is almost $800 a month shocked. a bro needs to work on campus.

That is the reason why the Immigration office wanna make sure you have enough money to come as a student, cos they know it is not that easy to make the money on a monthly basis . . . But if you are really serious and in a good city where there are opportunities, nothing stops you from working and making that much a month.
But you must be willing and committed
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 6:28pm On Apr 05, 2012
rapheal2k9: whats the best sim to buy for BB services

I will say it depends on where you would be . . If you are within GTA and you have family in Nigeria, i will advice you to go with WIND, Chatr, Mobilicity and other new carriers, cos it is cheaper and better for you . . . infact, if you need internet on your phone, stay away from Chatr . . They have no data plan

Please note that i am saying this based on if you would be based in the GTA
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by rapheal2k9: 6:43pm On Apr 05, 2012
im going to regina. what are the monthly BB rates like? For calls to naija i guess i might use nonoh or rynga they are cheaper.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by rapheal2k9: 8:33pm On Apr 05, 2012
@Obamacare: i was asking about best mobile operators that offer Blackberry Internet Service.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 8:49pm On Apr 05, 2012
rapheal2k9: @Obamacare: i was asking about best mobile operators that offer Blackberry Internet Service.

There is nothing like BB Internet Service, Sir . . All you need is a Carrier with GSM and you insert your SIM Card from your carrier into the BB and you good to go, however, try to make sure you chose the one with Data
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by rapheal2k9: 6:46am On Apr 06, 2012
@Fhemmmy thanks for the info.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by earthgreeners(m): 12:26pm On Apr 06, 2012
I wish to apply to University of Saskatchewan, University of Manitoba and Memorial University of NFLD to pursue a research based Masters degree in Environmental studies starting Fall 2013, I graduated with a CGPA of 4.39/5.0, what are my chances of getting financial aid from these universities?...and anyone with advise info concerning the tuition fees of these institutions...I want to start packaging my application in advance...
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 7:45pm On Apr 06, 2012
earthgreeners: I wish to apply to University of Saskatchewan, University of Manitoba and Memorial University of NFLD to pursue a research based Masters degree in Environmental studies starting Fall 2013, I graduated with a CGPA of 4.39/5.0, what are my chances of getting financial aid from these universities?...and anyone with advise info concerning the tuition fees of these institutions...I want to start packaging my application in advance...

Dont bank on scholarship as there is no guaranteed way to make it happen.
Put money together and once you made it, apply for the scholarship, you never can tell . . . Good luck
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by earthgreeners(m): 10:46am On Apr 07, 2012
@Fhemmy and Obamacare,
Thanks for the advice and encouragement....
Can u please kindly let me know how best to make payment of application fee since they always ask for credit card online which I dont have...and besides what are the document I wld need to present to CIC for student visa, My brother and Mum is gonna be my sponsor, we all have same surname...how do I package my application?. I think its good I prepare earlier to avoid errors
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by bamshy: 1:27pm On Apr 07, 2012
earthgreeners: @Fhemmy and Obamacare,
Can u please kindly let me know how best to make payment of application fee since they always ask for credit card online which I dont have...and besides what are the document I wld need to present to CIC for student visa, My brother and Mum is gonna be my sponsor, we all have same surname...how do I package my application?. I think its good I prepare earlier to avoid errors

Spend time to read through the thread. 99% chance your questions have been answered before. All the best
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 8:25pm On Apr 07, 2012
earthgreeners: @Fhemmy and Obamacare,

I am glad to see that the people here have attended to your question.
Nice to be there for one another . . . BUT another option for you would be if you have someone in Canada that could take care of it for you, if you dont, you could use your credit card in Nigeria . . . .
Good luck and see you in Canada
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by pauloman(m): 12:33am On Apr 08, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Hi fhemmmy,thanks a lot for ur time and responses. Please can u tell me what is the proximity estimate from toronto of the places u mentioned like ajax ,pickering n brampton because i just would be getting accomodation in one of those areas. I also want to find out if the $850 u mentioned as rentage covers,iS it just the apartment or it comes with other benefits ?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 9:37pm On Apr 08, 2012
pauloman:

Hi fhemmmy,thanks a lot for ur time and responses. Please can u tell me what is the proximity estimate from toronto of the places u mentioned like ajax ,pickering n brampton because i just would be getting accomodation in one of those areas. I also want to find out if the $850 u mentioned as rentage covers,iS it just the apartment or it comes with other benefits ?

All those areas are within 40 mins drive or commute, depending on what area of Toronto you are going to . . Also note that the time given is just an average and could be longer when traffic is bad or faster when you are not travelling during the peak.
As per the rent, when you are renting an apartment, whatever you pay will include:
Rent
Heat
Water
In the apartment, you will have stove and fridge, however, some apartment are furnished, but the price for those are more expensive, meanwhile, when you rending a basement apartment, you might be lucky to share the internet and TV Cable with the person that reside on the main floor.

I hope this answers your questions.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by xtus(m): 8:47am On Apr 09, 2012
bamshy:

Thank you for answering my questions. I am yet to pay anything to any of the schools. However, the one with the better offer has asked me to pay by June ending while the first but not-so-good offer requires me to pay by July ending. This in itself is a dilemma on which one i should pay for. Alternatively, I could pay for the two especially if the embassy requires that I pay for the "not-so-good" school i applied it. However, I would lose $1,400 which is said to be non-refundable in their refund policy. Any advice please?

@bamshy..... Wht are d names of the 2 schools that offered u admission
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by pharmow: 7:43pm On Apr 09, 2012
I really commend the contributions everyone has made on this thread and other threads relating to travelling to canada. You guys have shed light to grey areas in respect to surviving when one gets to canada. I have something I will like you guys in canada to please enlighten me on. I got an admission for post graduate certificate in Environmental management and assessment at Niagara college.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (84) (Reply)

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.