Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,113 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:57 AM

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? (530925 Views)

Pls I Want To Travel To Canada How Do I Start An How Much Is The Cost / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (84) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by log1(m): 7:15am On Apr 10, 2012
earthgreeners: I wish to apply to University of Saskatchewan, University of Manitoba and Memorial University of NFLD to pursue a research based Masters degree in Environmental studies starting Fall 2013, I graduated with a CGPA of 4.39/5.0, what are my chances of getting financial aid from these universities?...and anyone with advise info concerning the tuition fees of these institutions...I want to start packaging my application in advance...
pharmow: I really commend the contributions everyone has made on this thread and other threads relating to travelling to canada. You guys have shed light to grey areas in respect to surviving when one gets to canada. I have something I will like you guys in canada to please enlighten me on. I got an admission for post graduate certificate in Environmental management and assessment at Niagara college. I intend changing career to health, safety and environment field as I already have 3 International certificates in safety and health from UK. My headache is that can I use my HND in Microbiology from yabatech to apply for masters in either safety or environment after I finished the post grad program or is there program like a year Bsc top up in UK that one can do for a session in Canada. Please guys I will really appreciate your response.
@earthgreen and others. I wish to study master degree in petroleum engineering in canada. Currently am abt writing my final year first semester exam. My question, do canada universities like university of cagary etc gives full scholarship or scholarship dat will partially reduce tuition fee and when is d appropriate time to start my application bearing in my I stil av one compulsory nysc yr . Am a mining engineering student with cgpa of 4.3 and I could raise it to 4.47 if I can av 5dots for d remaining 2 semesters.thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by earthgreeners(m): 3:19pm On Apr 10, 2012
@log1, Nice performance.....
I advise you visit the university website and contact their program chair , he/she will be able to give you info on available oppurtunities, as for when to apply, I suggest u apply around December for Fall 2013 entry...
But first visit their website for details on ur proposed program
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by log1(m): 3:38pm On Apr 10, 2012
earthgreeners: @log1, Nice performance.....
I advise you visit the university website and contact their program chair , he/she will be able to give you info on available oppurtunities, as for when to apply, I suggest u apply around December for Fall 2013 entry...
But first visit their website for details on ur proposed program
Thanks my brother..av been contactn them...kindly pls drop me ur email for further enquiries abt hw ur application goes. Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by earthgreeners(m): 5:44pm On Apr 10, 2012
oyegunle14@gmail.com
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by rapheal2k9: 6:29pm On Apr 10, 2012
hello everyone, is stressful to obtain an american visiting visa from canada?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ifegy: 11:32pm On Apr 10, 2012
rapheal2k9: hello everyone, is stressful to obtain an american visiting visa from canada?

As long as you have legal residence in Canada (e.g., study permit or permanent residence), it's pretty straightforward.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by orisuniye: 4:04pm On Apr 11, 2012
Hi all,
Please I need ur help for info on accommodation stuff. I will appreciate it if I can get someone(female) to share with. I am going to Uni of Manitoba for my PG studies.I hope to arrive soon.
Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by pharmow: 9:47pm On Apr 11, 2012
wink
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by pauloman(m): 4:07am On Apr 12, 2012
Thanks alot fhemmmy i really appreciate your answers to my questions. I should be landing in Canada this year,other things being equal . I would like to keep in touch with you as well. So perhaps we can chat and call each other on yahoo msgr,skype or facebook. My skype id is pauloman5 n u can add me on facebook with paul ufeli. You can inbox me yours on my email ufeli_ocp@yahoo.com. Cheers bro !
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by OdinMacThor(m): 10:16am On Apr 12, 2012
Hey guys! I want to go for MSc in Computer Science in USask. I'm about to graduate, but can I forego NYSC and do the Masters?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 2:04pm On Apr 12, 2012
pauloman: Thanks alot fhemmmy i really appreciate your answers to my questions. I should be landing in Canada this year,other things being equal . I would like to keep in touch with you as well. So perhaps we can chat and call each other on yahoo msgr,skype or facebook. My skype id is pauloman5 n u can add me on facebook with paul ufeli. You can inbox me yours on my email ufeli_ocp@yahoo.com. Cheers bro !

I am on Facebook, check Femmmy.moto@gmail.com . . . .Hope to see you in Canada upon landing, God bless
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by bashtee: 2:25pm On Apr 12, 2012
@Fhemmmy
Are you in Toronto? you can hook me up at bashtee2000a2yahoo.com am in Toronto,pauloman we hope to see here.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 6:18pm On Apr 12, 2012
bashtee: @Fhemmmy
Are you in Toronto? you can hook me up at bashtee2000a2yahoo.com am in Toronto,pauloman we hope to see here.

Sure . . . Femmmy.moto@gmail.com
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by rapheal2k9: 7:03pm On Apr 13, 2012
@everyone: I have been told its hard to combine working on campus and studying a graduate program. Pls current students whats ur take on this. thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by webstradamus: 8:36pm On Apr 13, 2012
Odin MacThor: Hey guys! I want to go for MSc in Computer Science in USask. I'm about to graduate, but can I forego NYSC and do the Masters?

Make sure u get a first class. It will help a lot. CS @ USASK is HIGHLY competitive and I believe you already know why!
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 9:47pm On Apr 13, 2012
rapheal2k9: @everyone: I have been told its hard to combine working on campus and studying a graduate program. Pls current students whats ur take on this. thanks

It is hard cos you will have a lot of research, projects and group stuff . . . However, i have noticed that growing up in Nigeria where you are left alone to be your own master teaches us to be able to multi-task . . . You can do it, if you really wanna do it.

But make sure your studies comes first, cos that is the only thing that could take you away from the factory line to the front office.
Good luck

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by earthgreeners(m): 2:07pm On Apr 14, 2012
@all
I hope to apply to study in canada in fall, 2013
I graduated in 2011 with a CGPA of 4.39, wld be thru with NYSC in october..IM 24 years old .my brothers would be my sponsor and we all have the same surname...
What list of document wld I need to submit to CDHC to improve my chances of getting a study permit?
Your contribution wld be highly appreciated..
@fhemmmy and bash, whatz ur fb name?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 2:20am On Apr 15, 2012
earthgreeners: @all
I hope to apply to study in canada in fall, 2013
I graduated in 2011 with a CGPA of 4.39, wld be thru with NYSC in october..IM 24 years old .my brothers would be my sponsor and we all have the same surname...
What list of document wld I need to submit to CDHC to improve my chances of getting a study permit?
Your contribution wld be highly appreciated..
@fhemmmy and bash, whatz ur fb name?

Fhemmy Motos is my name on facebook, while it is better to find me with my mail address . . . Femmmy.moto@gmail.com
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by kayyz: 11:05pm On Apr 15, 2012
Hello house, I live in poland and I have applied for temporary stay to Canada from poland on two different occasions which was last year may and this year march, and I was refused the two times i applied.the first refusal was that my purpose of visit wasnt clear to them despite the fact that i recieved an invitation from my uncle. The second refusal was that i dnt have tiers to my country of residence which is poland and tiers to my home country which is nigeria. Presently, Am studying in poland since 4yrs and i have residency here. Is it adviseable to apply for the temporary stay to canada again or can i apply for study permit to canada.Pls,kindly enlighten me more on what to do base on my stand presently since I have been refused twice now.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by earthgreeners(m): 2:00am On Apr 16, 2012
@all
I need your contribution on this
I intend to apply to study at masters level in canada. University of saskatchewan, memoriAl university or university of Manitoba as d case might turn out to be to pursue a course in field of environmental studies starting fall 2013. I graduated in 2011 with a 2.1(4.39) in environmental management. I'm 24 and wld finish nysc in october. My brodas are going to be my sponsor, one of which is a banker and d oda owns a private company. What document do I need to submit to canada embassy to improve my chances of gettin trv. Especially proof of sufficient fund and strong ties to nigeria among oda documents. I need to get prepared in advance
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by earthgreeners(m): 10:38am On Apr 17, 2012
I intend to apply to study at masters level in canada. University of saskatchewan, memoriAl university or university of Manitoba as d case might turn out to be to pursue a course in field of environmental studies starting fall 2013. I graduated in 2011 with a 2.1(4.39) in environmental management. I'm 24 and wld finish nysc in october. My brodas are going to be my sponsor, one of which is a banker and d oda owns a private company. What document do I need to submit to canada embassy to improve my chances of gettin trv. Especially proof of sufficient fund and strong ties to nigeria among oda documents. I need to get prepared in advance

@justwise et al
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by rockafela(m): 8:33am On Apr 18, 2012
Anyone here for University of Regina undergraduate plssss septmber>>>>>hit me
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 8:47am On Apr 18, 2012

I'm not good at Canadian student visa processes but i'm pretty sure that other members like Fhemmy

and many others who have being helping out here will come to your rescue soon.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Anvaller: 8:12pm On Apr 19, 2012
I am impressed about how ppl have contributed to this thread very reasonably. Fhemmy has given very relevant info so far and he has not over blown anything. Just wanna add. Prospective students do not need to complicate accommodation issues for themselves. To the best of my knowledge, most of these universities provide on-campus accomodation with with reserved space for 1st year students. I would advise u to take that 1st.

In case you are one who usually prefer off campus in order to feel the city life, u have the option of terminating or to put in a better term, "discontinuing" ur on-campus tenancy at the end of the 1st semester, when you would have learned about the environment, the system and where the houses are. You would also have made friends with whom you can share rents. If u make too much extreme calculations about ur accomodation b4 u get there, u are very likely to miscalculate and get in a mess. Please, go the easy way, keep things simple and smart, that is how u never can get things wrong. I have contributed on this same thread when it 1st started then and I still maintain that the homestay thing is not a suitable option for a mature student. I bet it with u, u likely wouldn't like it. For those going for undergrad studies, u may give it a try but for grad studies keep off pls, free urselves and do ur thing.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by xtus(m): 12:24pm On Apr 20, 2012
Obamacare: You will definitely get an admission. You chances are excellent. Bright days ahead. Cheers

@obamacare
which school can u recommend in canada for a friend of mine who studies physics/electronics tech n graduated wit 3rd class and has also completed a java program @ NIIT. He is planning on taking up a PGD program in canada dis winter. What are his chances of gettin accepted and wht uni/college can u advise him to look 2wards
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Bblife1: 2:46pm On Apr 22, 2012
My peep,
i love this thread so much. Educative indeed. But pls i want pple to react to this: if one's motive is to enter Canada and stay behind to work and not schooling what cld happened to him or her after entering wt student visa? What is his or her chances of working and later get PR? SECONDLY if enters wt visiting, may be wt seminar or conferences and decide saying behind, what cld be the adverse side and advantage. I need sincere reaction from pple in Canada alone
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 7:44pm On Apr 22, 2012
Bb life: My peep,
i love this thread so much. Educative indeed. But pls i want pple to react to this: if one's motive is to enter Canada and stay behind to work and not schooling what cld happened to him or her after entering wt student visa? What is his or her chances of working and later get PR? SECONDLY if enters wt visiting, may be wt seminar or conferences and decide saying behind, what cld be the adverse side and advantage. I need sincere reaction from pple in Canada alone

That is a common thing.
You will have to declare yourself as a refugee later and give good and reasonable reason why you should not be deported.
Trust me, i have heard so much stories, i know a Nigerian that lied to be gay . . . But you will surely be questioned as to why you would have to come in as students and what happened to all the money you show that you would use to fund your eduction.

To work is not that easy cos as a student, you will be given a kinda SIN that is not for employment but just for part time employment, but there is always a way for everything

But i trust Nigerians, there are always reason and excuses for everything.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by earthgreeners(m): 10:07pm On Apr 22, 2012
Fhemmmy:

That is a common thing.
You will have to declare yourself as a refugee later and give good and reasonable reason why you should not be deported.
Trust me, i have heard so much stories, i know a Nigerian that lied to be gay . . . But you will surely be questioned as to why you would have to come in as students and what happened to all the money you show that you would use to fund your eduction.

To work is not that easy cos as a student, you will be given a kinda SIN that is not for employment but just for part time employment, but there is always a way for everything

But i trust Nigerians, there are always reason and excuses for everything.

tell him it's also a big risk and could have a future effect on oda Nigerians who intend to migrate..
Tell him to go tru legal means

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 10:21pm On Apr 22, 2012
earthgreeners:

tell him it's also a big risk and could have a future effect on oda Nigerians who intend to migrate..
Tell him to go tru legal means

Very true . . .
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Beehandz(m): 10:53am On Apr 24, 2012
@phemmy,Hi bros,saw ur comments on NL on canadian thread.imy docs Я̲̅ at the embassy presently and I'm praying Τ̣̣ЂÀΤ̣̣ d outxome wil b positive.I'm goint to Vancouver island university I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ nainamo BC.pls wats d best accomodatn option,I've applied for student accomodatn-paid only applicatn fee bt wit wat I've read on NL,I tink a peer stay will b d best.is Ȋ̝̊̅† posible to get job outside sch on arrival or true Τ̣̣ЂÀΤ̣̣ its afta 6months Τ̣̣ЂÀΤ̣̣ U̶̲̥̅ can work outside campus as int'l student.also wats d accomodatn rate like I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ naiamo and environ-a treackable distance to VIU

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (84) (Reply)

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.