Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,713 members, 7,820,494 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:53 PM

Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? (53081 Views)

Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba / Aro Roots Of Ikwerre, Igbo Identity Crisis By Chidi Osuagwu / African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by aribisala0(m): 7:56pm On Sep 08, 2012
odumchi:

No, they aren't. The Ikwere are as different from the Nike (an Igbo group) as the Abam (another Igbo group) are. People often make it seem as if the Ikwere are a unique group who differ exceptionally from other Igbo groups; they aren't.

The point that I am trying to make is that this talk of Ikwere not being Igbo has no long-term historical base nor does it have any cultural or linguistic base; it is mere politics and anyone that refuses to acknowledge this is making a mistake.

Here is a map of the all the peoples who were identified as Igbo by outsiders:

[img]http://www.ub.uib.no/elpub/1996/h/506001/korieh/map2.gif[/img]

Another one courtesy of our very own Ezeagu:

I guess either you did not read or did not comprehend the statement you quoted. So I suggest you read it slowly and comprehend it. I said Geographically the Ikwerre are peripheral to the Igbo Nation regardless of whether one believes they are Igbo or not. This is a statement of geographical fact.If you do not understand English I cannot provide relief.Lagos state and Cross River state are geograhically peripheral To Nigeria as is Cotonou in Benin Republic. That statement was made in a particular context and for you to pick out a sentence out of context and distort its meaning is just another astonishing example of inchoate thinking
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by crro: 8:07pm On Sep 08, 2012
Dede1:

Truly speaking, I do not care what an Ikwerre peep thinks of him/her. My respect still resides with those who termed themselves Igbo. I really do not give a hoot what happens in the so-called Ikwerre land because I have noticed the change from Umu to Rumu. It is only a basement fool will give a benefit of doubt to whatever coinage Ikwerre peeps comes up. Believe me, Ikwerre can be Yoruba for all a change. One of my aunts has a husband from Umademe and since the end of Britain\Biafra war, I have not seen her or her kids and never cared either.

Dede1, from reading what u just said above. guy u get serious issues. but theres hope u can seek help whilst theres time.
there is a serious problem u have with ikwerre as a ppl,
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by aribisala0(m): 9:15pm On Sep 08, 2012
When people run out of ideas or argument they resort to abuse and polemics. What makes a person a FOOL because they see the world differently from you?? Any fool can call another person a fool what does that change??

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by BlackPikiN(m): 9:18pm On Sep 08, 2012
^^^You are from the SW and not Ikwerre but you carry Igbo-Ikwerre wahala put for head. All because you lived in Ph no mean say you know jack!

You just wan drag unnecessary arguments here.

E go pain you well.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by odumchi: 9:19pm On Sep 08, 2012
aribisala0: I guess either you did not read or did not comprehend the statement you quoted. So I suggest you read it slowly and comprehend it. I said Geographically the Ikwerre are peripheral to the Igbo Nation regardless of whether one believes they are Igbo or not. This is a statement of geographical fact.If you do not understand English I cannot provide relief.Lagos state and Cross River state are geograhically peripheral To Nigeria as is Cotonou in Benin Republic. That statement was made in a particular context and for you to pick out a sentence out of context and distort its meaning is just another astonishing example of inchoate thinking

I still haven't seen what you are attempting to prove. As far as I'm concerned, that lengthy post that I made should suffice.

There's no need to make any rash or insultive statements; don't forget where you are.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by aribisala0(m): 9:25pm On Sep 08, 2012
odumchi:

I still haven't seen what you are attempting to prove. As far as I'm concerned, that lengthy post that I made should suffice.

There's no need to make any rash or insultive statements; don't forget where you are.
You have an unfortunate tendency to self indulgent pseudo-intellectual posturing. My statemnet that you quoted was clesr enough : The Ikwerre are Geographically peripheral to the Igbo. Nothing ambiguous there but you dispute it so I challenge you to name any Igbo community that extends after Ikwerre land geographically in Rivers State and which encloses Ikwerre land and shares a border with NON Igbo land. if you are unable to do so please hold your peace and stop making jest of yourself. The concept of geographic peripherality is not Quantun Physics

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by pazienza(m): 11:52pm On Sep 08, 2012
aribisala0:
You have an unfortunate tendency to self indulgent pseudo-intellectual posturing. My statemnet that you quoted was clesr enough : The Ikwerre are Geographically peripheral to the Igbo. Nothing ambiguous there but you dispute it so I challenge you to name any Igbo community that extends after Ikwerre land geographically in Rivers State and which encloses Ikwerre land and shares a border with NON Igbo land. if you are unable to do so please hold your peace and stop making jest of yourself. The concept of geographic peripherality is not Quantun Physics

Nsukka,ikaland,ezza/izzi,arochukwu,ndoki/asa also lies at the periphery of igboland,so what's your poing exactly?
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Abagworo(m): 12:18am On Sep 09, 2012
aribisala0:

The only State that is completely surrounded by Igbos is Imo State. Every other Igbo State lies in your so-called periphery. All the tribes in Abia State share boundary and Influence with Cross River and Akwaibom groups. Anambra with Igala, Enugu with Igala and Idoma, Ebonyi with Benue, Cross River and Taraba, Delta Igbo with Isoko, Urhobo, Esan, Edo, Igala , Imo however is surrounded only by Anambra and Abia. The Rivers boundary is with Igbo groups of Ndoni, Egbema, Etche and Ikwerre. While the Delta boundary is with Ukwuani.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ACM10: 7:29am On Sep 09, 2012
Abagworo:

I hope you are not trying to make a point..

I'm lost in translation. I can't figure out what u are driving at.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ACM10: 8:01am On Sep 09, 2012
afam4eva:
I lived in Port-hacourt when i was young and i remember that my mum used to converse in Igbo with Bonny.Opbo people Ndoni and just about every group in Rivers state and never for once have i thought this people were not Igbos because they all listened to Oliver de coque, Osadebe, Oriental brother, bright chimezie and other Igbo musicians like every other Igbos. A huge population of Ikwerre men also has Abia and Imo women as wives and there was no language barrier.

Talking of Opobo people. I met a young lady at Bori, Ogoniland in 2007. She sells roasted ripe plantain and roasted fish by the roadside. Roasted ripe plantain and fish is one my favourite delicacy(My friend wasn't amused to eat any delicacy sold by the roadside).
The young lady was discussing freely with us in Igbo while she prepares takeaway for us. My friends asked her where she's from; she responded "Opobo". I asked her whether she learnt Igbo by interacting with Igbos or whether Igbo is their primary language. She told me that igbo is their primary language. I was amazed! I haven't travelled much to southern Nigeria, but the more I travel the more I learns that the Igbo shadows extends far and wide.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by aribisala0(m): 8:31am On Sep 09, 2012
Abagworo:

The only State that is completely surrounded by Igbos is Imo State. Every other Igbo State lies in your so-called periphery. All the tribes in Abia State share boundary and Influence with Cross River and Akwaibom groups. Anambra with Igala, Enugu with Igala and Idoma, Ebonyi with Benue, Cross River and Taraba, Delta Igbo with Isoko, Urhobo, Esan, Edo, Igala , Imo however is surrounded only by Anambra and Abia. The Rivers boundary is with Igbo groups of Ndoni, Egbema, Etche and Ikwerre. While the Delta boundary is with Ukwuani.
You are majoring in minor.Read the context from which the statement was extracted, Odumchi chose to isolate the staement and say it is not true a rather dishonest way of conducting discussion
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by aribisala0(m): 8:35am On Sep 09, 2012
aribisala0:

What is important is how we relate those points to the Ikwerre.Geographically the Ikwerre are peripheral to the "IGBO NATION" whether or not one believes they are within or outwith.

odumchi:

No, they aren't. The Ikwere are as different from the Nike (an Igbo group) as the Abam (another Igbo group) are. People often make it seem as if the Ikwere are a unique group who differ exceptionally from other Igbo groups; they aren't.

pazienza:

Nsukka,ikaland,ezza/izzi,arochukwu,ndoki/asa also lies at the periphery of igboland,so what's your poing exactly?
THAT STATEMENT WAS MADE IN A PARTICULAR CONTEXT.Not in isolation if you want to know the point read the context. Odumchi chose to isolate the staement ant say it is not true a rather dishonest way of conducting discussion
Do not join a argument you have not followed and start spitting at people

The relevance of Geograpically peripherality is the greater likelihood of extraneous linguistic,cultural and genetic influences and the greater likelihood of the "we are not Igbo" claim

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by aribisala0(m): 8:46am On Sep 09, 2012
afam4eva:
Can you converse in Igbo? Oya, let's roll.
I can,probably better than many jokers here,but let us keep that for another day.By the way it is Ngwa nu NOT Oya do not allow any subtle colonisation grin grin
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by aribisala0(m): 8:58am On Sep 09, 2012
ACM10: I was at Yenogoa early this week on a working visit. I was actually invited by a colleague to participate in a procedure. I spent 24hrs at Yenogoa. I was in a hurry to get back to Enugu in time that I rejected all their offers for refreshment. It was whenwhile I was waiting to board a bus to Enugu that I noticed how hungry I amwas. I havehad to dash to the nearest restaurant. Inside the restaurant, I met 3 ladies who seemsseemed to be in their late 20s and early 30s. Since I was unsure if they are were Igbos. I opened started a conversation with them in English, they responded with pidgin English. I later settled to gulp down their well-prepared delicacy of Akpu and Onugbu soup. While I was eating, those ladies were chatting with an Anambra-type of Igbo dialect. I interjected by remarking that I thought that they were Ijaws. I proceeded to ask which part of Anambra they came from. To my utmost surprise, they told me that the are from River State. So I inquired further by asking them about which place in River State is an Igbo-speaking area. They proudly responded with "Ikwerre". I was so amazed to say the least. The lies I get here from Alj harem, Dayokanu, etc is that there is no Igbo speaking part of River State. There are many Igbo speaking parts, from Ahaoda, Elele, Mbiama, etc. I asked the ladies "why do Ikwerres deny their Igboness?" They responded by telling me that they feel so ashamed by the action of their elder who denies such.
I was also amazed by the way the residents of Yenogoa speaks Igbo as if it was their lingua franca.
There are many Igbo speaking parts of Rivers state e.g Oyigbo ,Etche and Egbema e.g These areas are quite distinct from Ikwerre. Ikwerre may or may not be Igbo but it is not what they speak alone that makes it so. WE on this thread are not ENGLISH and there are today many Nigerians particularly in the south who only speak English. I know for a fact that I speak and write Igbo better than many clowns here

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Dede1(m): 11:33am On Sep 09, 2012
c.r.r.o:

Dede1, from reading what u just said above. guy u get serious issues. but theres hope u can seek help whilst theres time.
there is a serious problem u have with ikwerre as a ppl,

Contrary to your delusional views, I am well in control of my mental coordinates. The issue rests on conniving ninnies such as you and Elechi Amadi who thought that the acts of panhandling included denial of one’s ancestry.

When Elechi Amadi was a Captain in Nigerian armed forces, he was commissioned as Igbo. When the soldiers from the region of northern Nigeria embarked on mutiny in 1966, Captain Elechi Amadi ran to eastern region of Nigeria as Igbo not Ikwerri. Elechi Amadi resigned his commission into Nigerian armed forces because of the mutinies of 1966 targeted at Igbo as Igbo not Ikwerri. When Elechi Amadi was appointed as the Acting Principal of Asa High School, Asa, now Ukwa West LGA, to replace Mr. Onwuma who had been appointed provincial administrator of Aba in Biafra, Elechi Amadi was Igbo not Ikwerri. However, when Port Harcourt fell into the hands of Nigerian vandals in 1968, Elechi Amadi sneaked into Port Harcourt, embraced his one time enemies who had wanted him dead and suddenly remembered he was Ikwerri not Igbo.

Look jerk, I was born and raised in that part of the country and nobody can tell me any slide show story about areas covering Asa, Ndoki, Ogoni, Eche and Ikwerri.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Dede1(m): 11:48am On Sep 09, 2012
It is rather asinine to insinuate that Ikwerri is geographically peripheral to Igbo nation than being disingenuous. If this ridiculous postulation of Ikwerri, geography, periphery and Igbo nation carries any iota of truth than it is correct to say Ngwa, Akirika, Wawa and Ekpeye are peripheral to Igbo nation. I have recognized that acts of repeated falsehood can not become truth in the face of undisputable facts.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by aribisala0(m): 12:35pm On Sep 09, 2012
It is a fact of the human condition that as some men age,they become decrepit and useless before they eventually die.Some die with dignity others literally get rotten before our very eyes; like the debris of a bad meal they become overtaken by cognitive putrefaction.

Derelict dotage is an apt description of their condition,piteous to observe really as they desperately cling on to any rapidly receding aand dwindling humanity with bombastic posturing and verbigerative vocalizations.We do well to indulge them till they are eventually released from their broken shells. They once were human afterall

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by aribisala0(m): 3:15pm On Sep 09, 2012
Enwe! That is not twisting facts is it?
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by crro: 5:17pm On Sep 09, 2012
Dede1: It is rather asinine to insinuate that Ikwerri is geographically peripheral to Igbo nation than being disingenuous. If this ridiculous postulation of Ikwerri, geography, periphery and Igbo nation carries any iota of truth than it is correct to say Ngwa, Akirika, Wawa and Ekpeye are peripheral to Igbo nation. I have recognized that acts of repeated falsehood can not become truth in the face of undisputable facts.

@ Dede1, just like i noted b4, you have a serious issue with ikwerre ppl. but let me ask you, are you angry that your not ikwerre ? or is there something of major use to you which you cant get your hands on because your not ikwerre ? because truthfully speaking i cant see what that is! somebody says they dont want they dont want simple.

all this your trying to prove wont change nada, infact your only giving me as an ikwerre man more mouth to speak. your carrying a head you know not of the tail.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by crro: 5:25pm On Sep 09, 2012
Dede1:

Contrary to your delusional views, I am well in control of my mental coordinates. The issue rests on conniving ninnies such as you and Elechi Amadi who thought that the acts of panhandling included denial of one’s ancestry.

When Elechi Amadi was a Captain in Nigerian armed forces, he was commissioned as Igbo. When the soldiers from the region of northern Nigeria embarked on mutiny in 1966, Captain Elechi Amadi ran to eastern region of Nigeria as Igbo not Ikwerri. Elechi Amadi resigned his commission into Nigerian armed forces because of the mutinies of 1966 targeted at Igbo as Igbo not Ikwerri. When Elechi Amadi was appointed as the Acting Principal of Asa High School, Asa, now Ukwa West LGA, to replace Mr. Onwuma who had been appointed provincial administrator of Aba in Biafra, Elechi Amadi was Igbo not Ikwerri. However, when Port Harcourt fell into the hands of Nigerian vandals in 1968, Elechi Amadi sneaked into Port Harcourt, embraced his one time enemies who had wanted him dead and suddenly remembered he was Ikwerri not Igbo.

Look jerk, I was born and raised in that part of the country and nobody can tell me any slide show story about areas covering Asa, Ndoki, Ogoni, Eche and Ikwerri.

with all this grammer , you will still wake up tomorow an igbo man and not ikwerre. i advice you to embrace it as charity starts at home. im finding it hard to imagine myself an igbo man still trying to claim others even tho my lands are blessed (im ikwerre) . man grow up. from the sounds of things you might even be older than me it goes to show what living in a box does to one, theres a greater world out there open your eyes instead of labeling and claiming fellow human beings.

new day new order
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Sealeddeal(m): 6:22pm On Sep 09, 2012
I do not see any reason behind this argument of ikwerre being igbos or not.anybody can decide to be what he/she wants to be.Ikwerres are looking for recognition as a separate entity.ofcourse,no one can change that afterall,they have been recognised by 1979 constitution.they will remain on their own.but the fact is that,Yorubas at Benin republic are not less Yoruba.Igbo people should bend down and work to liberate themselves from self slavery.one thing,i know,as an igbo man from eastern nigeria is that i am not afraid to go to any part of east of the niger.whether its Ijaw,Urhobo,Igbo,Efik,Itsekiri,i dont care.No matter what the disagreement is between one of these tribes,they still love themselves and can work together now than before to achieve a common good.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ACM10: 7:35pm On Sep 09, 2012
c.r.r.o:

with all this grammer , you will still wake up tomorow an igbo man and not ikwerre. i advice you to embrace it as charity starts at home. im finding it hard to imagine myself an igbo man still trying to claim others even tho my lands are blessed (im ikwerre) . man grow up. from the sounds of things you might even be older than me it goes to show what living in a box does to one, theres a greater world out there open your eyes instead of labeling and claiming fellow human beings.

new day new order

You are not from Ikwerre. Stop faking it. Do you want me to expose your fake assss.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ACM10: 7:49pm On Sep 09, 2012
Sealeddeal: I do not see any reason behind this argument of ikwerre being igbos or not.anybody can decide to be what he/she wants to be.Ikwerres are looking for recognition as a separate entity.ofcourse,no one can change that afterall,they have been recognised by 1979 constitution.they will remain on their own.but the fact is that,Yorubas at Benin republic are not less Yoruba.Igbo people should bend down and work to liberate themselves from self slavery.one thing,i know,as an igbo man from eastern nigeria is that i am not afraid to go to any part of east of the niger.whether its Ijaw,Urhobo,Igbo,Efik,Itsekiri,i dont care.No matter what the disagreement is between one of these tribes,they still love themselves and can work together now than before to achieve a common good.

Who told you that it is the will of Ikwerre people to stay as separate entity/tribe? Did you conduct any referendum to back up your claim? Why should encourage us to believe the careless statements from few misguided elements? Get out if you got nothing to say.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by odumchi: 1:28am On Sep 10, 2012
Aribisala0, you're right concerning the Ikwere being on the geographic peripheral of the Igbo country. I misinterpreted what you wrote. However, that doesn't change my stance of everything else.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by crro: 7:15am On Sep 10, 2012
ACM10:

You are not from Ikwerre. Stop faking it. Do you want me to expose your fake assss.

im begging plz do. let me tell you 1stly that its ppl like you there wives end up killing. in other words ppl like u dont even live long thru ignorance.
Of all the things on planet earth, what u want to do or sould i say what u find yourself doing is trying to prove that somebody is not where there from. literally its sad but ive always said there is hope for ppl like you as you can still seak help. although in this case i dont know what kind of help but it egsist...

You want to prove to me that im in not ikwerre? just so you know my father was one the previous local gov chairman of Emohua. Not that im here to prove point PR disclose whom i am but if you knew me in person you would call me by my title b4 you call my name as im next in line. but seriously ive always said i dont know to much about igbo an ikwerre wahala what i do know is that today ikwerre is a ppl and should be left alone .
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by crro: 7:24am On Sep 10, 2012
ACM10:

Who told you that it is the will of Ikwerre people to stay as separate entity/tribe? Did you conduct any referendum to back up your claim? Why should encourage us to believe the careless statements from few misguided elements? Get out if you got nothing to say.

@ ACM10 i think its quite clear you are you are here to attack ppl for sake of attacking. let me and you kindly find ourselves a spot in this forum where we can attack ourselves verbally until you realise your an actor and me a reactor . LOOKING at your points all you do is read someones post and attack.
you dont take points, notes nothing solong as it has somthing to do with ikwerre not being igbo. You are sad and living a sad life. What u know and see as happiness is only an illusion, theres a better life. I can see you waking up every morning with screw face, sad, bone everybody even loved ones. I see this bcuz you have brought your leg out on this forum an shown who you are. Get a life ok, theres a brighter world out there. saddist.....

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Oba Adamson Punches, Injures Chief, Alleges Disrespect / Wuraola Otiti Before She Became Ooni Of Ife’s Queen / New Photos Of Saadatu Lamido, Emir Sanusi's Wife In UK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.