Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,828 members, 7,810,180 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:38 PM

Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? - Culture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? (52997 Views)

Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba / Aro Roots Of Ikwerre, Igbo Identity Crisis By Chidi Osuagwu / African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Abagworo(m): 7:48am On Sep 10, 2012
@topic. Because they prefer not to be Igbo. There is a difference between what language you speak and ethnic consciousness. And ethnic consciousness can be developed anytime as a result of events. What I dislike about the whole issue is lies about history of origin and denial of kinship by either mischievous or uninformed people on this thread.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ACM10: 8:08am On Sep 10, 2012
c.r.r.o:

im begging plz do. let me tell you 1stly that its ppl like you there wives end up killing. in other words ppl like u dont even live long thru ignorance.
Of all the things on planet earth, what u want to do or sould i say what u find yourself doing is trying to prove that somebody is not where there from. literally its sad but ive always said there is hope for ppl like you as you can still seak help. although in this case i dont know what kind of help but it egsist...

You want to prove to me that im in not ikwerre? just so you know my father was one the previous local gov chairman of Emohua. Not that im here to prove point PR disclose whom i am but if you knew me in person you would call me by my title b4 you call my name as im next in line. but seriously ive always said i dont know to much about igbo an ikwerre wahala what i do know is that today ikwerre is a ppl and should be left alone .

Since you refused to respect your fake azzzz, I will go ahead to expose you.

c.r.r.o:
Hi my fellow brothers and sisters, im in need of some help as i dont want to go to the embassy for a waist of time and have to make a double trip.

I was born in uk and hold a uk passport, my dads nigerian and mother jamican although i take to my 9ja side  wink  .

i left london 1994 for school in 9ja and returned 2001 to london. Ever since then i havent returned home  sad   .

Anyway my problem is im not to sure about what docs to take with me when i go to the nigerian embassy to apply for a visa . Do i need to buy the ticket 1st and take it along with me or do i just take my uk passport along with passport photos and my medical prescriptions ?

i beg any help atall i just cant make a double trip to face the embassy .

www.nairaland.com/782467/nigerian-visa-urgent-needed#9345773

Which past local government chairman in ph married a foreigner?

One rule I learnt here is that folks that tells you where they are from to lay credence to their arguments are mostly fakes.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by crro: 8:45am On Sep 10, 2012
ACM10:

Since you refused to respect your fake azzzz, I will go ahead to expose you.

www.nairaland.com/782467/nigerian-visa-urgent-needed#9345773

Which past local government chairman in ph married a foreigner?

One rule I learnt here is that folks that tells you where they are from to lay credence to their arguments are mostly fakes.

Exactly my point. i knew your were going to pick my mothers side as my heritage or maybe my country of birth lol . your really a kid and you above statement states why.
if you view more of my post you will realise ive always stated i take to my fathers side not only by choice but by law. i dont know of any country that a child is stated as being from that country because of birth. for you information im a national of the UK and my mothers from JA. that you dont know of any ikwerre man that married a foreigner is a shame and if you are ikwerre then your a great let down. one of my threads you put there was when i was going on holiday last year as ive always held a uk passport until last year. but can you explain or show all of us how that corresponds with me not being ikwerre ? Or is it that you want me to mention my fathers name here ? maybe you can meet me on skype an if you prove your ikwerre i can disclose this to you . im not here to brag on royalty or anything like that , i was not born into any royalty this all just happened few years back . you sound like another saddist truly
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ACM10: 8:59am On Sep 10, 2012
c.r.r.o:

Exactly my point. i knew your were going to pick my mothers side as my heritage or maybe my country of birth lol . your really a kid and you above statement states why.
if you view more of my post you will realise ive always stated i take to my fathers side not only by choice but by law. i dont know of any country that a child is stated as being from that country because of birth. for you information im a national of the UK and my mothers from JA. that you dont know of any ikwerre man that married a foreigner is a shame and if you are ikwerre then your a great let down. one of my threads you put there was when i was going on holiday last year as ive always held a uk passport until last year. but can you explain or show all of us how that corresponds with me not being ikwerre ? Or is it that you want me to mention my fathers name here ? maybe you can meet me on skype an if you prove your ikwerre i can disclose this to you . im not here to brag on royalty or anything like that , i was not born into any royalty this all just happened few years back . you sound like another saddist truly

c.r.r.o:
nawoah, all this dissing about tribes and cultures has any1 rememberd there r over 250 languages in nigeria ? every1 is talking his or her own like there tribe didnt break out from another tribe!! we may have all been taught that your tribe was there from ADAM and has always been there but common, thats culture an we pass these things down thru the ages even knowing this isnt the case. each tribe started sumwhere be it becuz of war, food, safety whatever the case was at the time . I personally im an ikwerre man hailing from PORT HARCOURT . Although im from a royal family as an ikwerre man i still see sence in realising that ikwerre broke from igbo. theres no two ways about it. every tribe conributes to todays nigeria. and for those that feal there tribe is superior to others im here to tell you - you have been misled by your own culture which is a shame.

www.nairaland.com/786946/every-ethnic-group-nigeria-brings/3#9409526

Can you see your inconsistency? I promised to expose your fake azzz.

Now tell me, which past local government chairman in PH married a foreigner?
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by crro: 9:20am On Sep 10, 2012
ACM10:

this still doesnt make us igbo, you havent proven one thing your only bring my old threads lol. bring my thread where i said you cant call americanz english just because there forfathers actually camr from england. ( learn about the american revolution) but let me ask what language do americans speak ? fortunatly the me an are speaking sad . you sound very un-educated in history and ethics . we are not igbo deal with it clown
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by crro: 9:24am On Sep 10, 2012
ACM10:

also since you really need it, put the past 5 local goverment chairman of Emohua . list them here for all to see. im asking past 5 only if you like put past 10. viewers will see names an match with my initials on this forum. unless you lie to yourself and refuse to put the names accordingly or even mix match i dont mind. then you would have found out what your begging to know
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Afam4eva(m): 9:26am On Sep 10, 2012
c.r.r.o:

this still doesnt make us igbo, you havent proven one thing your only bring my old threads lol. bring my thread where i said you cant call americanz english just because there forfathers actually camr from england. ( learn about the american revolution) but let me ask what language do americans speak ? fortunatly the me an are speaking sad . you sound very un-educated in history and ethics . we are not igbo deal with it clown
The problem i have with people like you is that you use bad analogies to prove that Ikwerres are not Igbos. Americans are not just made up of English people but are also made up of Scottish, Irish, Germans, Spanish, Africans and a whole lot of people from different parts of the world. How can you compare that with Ikwerres that are just a stone throw from Abia state.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by crro: 9:41am On Sep 10, 2012
afam4eva:
The problem i have with people like you is that you use bad analogies to prove that Ikwerres are not Igbos. Americans are not just made up of English people but are also made up of Scottish, Irish, Germans, Spanish, Africans and a whole lot of people from different parts of the world. How can you compare that with Ikwerres that are just a stone throw from Abia state.

you have made a point, maybe my example with america an england was abit to wide but what i was reffering to was the europeans that settled in the americas out there. we all know native amerians were american indians, im just stating that the phrase ( the american revolution ) is actually about a war, a war where english man fought off englishman to claim independants . like ive said on other post that when ppl say (oh foolish ikwerre ppl put R infront of there roads, ) have they ever wonderd they might be calling those sane ppl of old (foolish igbo men ) ppl should really lean to read and understanding. when you send post like that its like you cram reading
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Afam4eva(m): 9:47am On Sep 10, 2012
c.r.r.o:

you have made a point, maybe my example with america an england was abit to wide but what i was reffering to was the europeans that settled in the americas out there. we all know native amerians were american indians, im just stating that the phrase ( the american revolution ) is actually about a war, a war where english man fought off englishman to claim independants . like ive said on other post that when ppl say (oh foolish ikwerre ppl put R infront of there roads, ) have they ever wonderd they might be calling those sane ppl of old (foolish igbo men ) ppl should really lean to read and understanding. when you send post like that its like you cram reading
I understand what you're saying. But people make those statements because as it seems now, Majority of Ikwerre people keep detaching themselves from being Igbos but some Igbos are just trying to set the record straight.

I will respect the Ikwerres if they choose to form a different ethnicity away from the Igbos, but they should not go about lieing about it. I've heard people talk about how Ikwerres are not Igbo citing the fact that they fought on the side of Nigeria during the civil war as a pointer as if some Eastern Igbos did not fight on the opposite side too. Some even go as far as bringing the ever popular benin angle. Some even say that Igbos came to colonize them that's why they understand Igbo and i ask these people that if Igbos really came to colonize you, it simply means that you had a language before then. What's that language.

Any group can seek independence if they want. Whether it's Ikwerre, Ngwa, Ndoki etc but they should not go about lieing about it. Btw, let's not also forget the Ikwerres that still see themselves as Igbos.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by aribisala0(m): 9:59am On Sep 10, 2012
Of what relevance is being a stone's throw or within farting range. All ethnic groups have neighbours.
Before we can say whether or not Ikwerre are Igbo we must define Igbo and so far no one has done that satisfactorily.When challenged with reasonable inquiries what we have is abuse and not even sophisicated abuse at that.
To say the Ikwerre are "Lying" requires facts Not sentiment and the truth is people are driven by what they would like the truth to be rather than to unearth truth.There is no such thing as PURE Igbo or PURE any other ethnic group in NIgeria.There are always dilutions with neighbours.Dilutions of blood,of language,culture and even history.
In order to advance this discussion rather than abuse why not provide SUPERIOR evidence to buttress your arguments
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by crro: 10:05am On Sep 10, 2012
afam4eva:
I understand what you're saying. But people make those statements because as it seems now, Majority of Ikwerre people keep detaching themselves from being Igbos but some Igbos are just trying to set the record straight.

I will respect the Ikwerres if they choose to form a different ethnicity away from the Igbos, but they should not go about lieing about it. I've heard people talk about how Ikwerres are not Igbo citing the fact that they fought on the side of Nigeria during the civil war as a pointer as if some Eastern Igbos did not fight on the opposite side too. Some even go as far as bringing the ever popular benin angle. Some even say that Igbos came to colonize them that's why they understand Igbo and i ask these people that if Igbos really came to colonize you, it simply means that you had a language before then. What's that language.

Any group can seek independence if they want. Whether it's Ikwerre, Ngwa, Ndoki etc but they should not go about lieing about it. Btw, let's not also forget the Ikwerres that still see themselves as Igbos.

Yes your right about the diffrent stories behind it all. its unfortunate that ikwerre ppl have been picked out of all 250 languages that all broke from yuroba, igbo, hausa its the ikwerre that ppl choose to pick at which is why in one of my previous post i talked about oil. if there was no all in rivers state or cross river or niger delta as a whole nobody would want to look that way. and yes there was deffinatley a language spoken although i dont know of it africa as one was once called egypt on a map. an there has been a lingo b4 'old tyme' that was generally spoken thru out sub-sahara (swahili) but i dont know if this was even spoken in nigeria. however nigeria has been occupied by the natives many many many years before it was called nigeria an there most have been a lingo b4 all these tribes and cultures even came up .
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Afam4eva(m): 10:08am On Sep 10, 2012
c.r.r.o:

Yes your right about the diffrent stories behind it all. its unfortunate that ikwerre ppl have been picked out of all 250 languages that all broke from yuroba, igbo, hausa its the ikwerre that ppl choose to pick at which is why in one of my previous post i talked about oil. if there was no all in rivers state or cross river or niger delta as a whole nobody would want to look that way. and yes there was deffinatley a language spoken although i dont know of it africa as one was once called egypt on a map. an there has been a lingo b4 'old tyme' that was generally spoken thru out sub-sahara (swahili) but i dont know if this was even spoken in nigeria. however nigeria has been occupied by the natives many many many years before it was called nigeria an there most have been a lingo b4 all these tribes and cultures even came up .
You have a point. Some people(not all) are interested in Ikwerre because of oil like you said and because of the status of port-hacourt which Igbo also help build. You have to agree that to a larger extent, that's the reason why Ikwerres are disclaiming Igbos in a ferocious manner.

I don't think if Ikwerres didn't have oil, there would have been no claim by Igbos on Ikwerre. It's just that it won't be as ferocious as it is now. Afterall, we see some Igbos claiming people from southern Benue as Igbo. Those people have got no oil.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by crro: 10:16am On Sep 10, 2012
afam4eva:
You have a point. Some people(not all) are interested in Ikwerre because of oil like you said and because of the status of port-hacourt which Igbo also help build. You have to agree that to a larger extent, that's the reason why Ikwerres are disclaiming Igbos in a ferocious manner.

I don't think if Ikwerres didn't have oil, there would have been no claim by Igbos on Ikwerre. It's just that it won't be as ferocious as it is now. Afterall, we see some Igbos claiming people from southern Benue as Igbo. Those people have got no oil.

you have a way of putting words to my understanding. unlike some sad from your user id im guessing your from cross river im not sure. but can i ask why its only igbo these days that seem to be streching out hands to try claim others ? i mean are they forgettin it was either them than ran away ? or put R infront of names of roads ? most of if not all of my friends are igbo its funny how we dont talk about this because since we were young an igbo man has always been an igbo man and an ikwerre man has always benn ikwerre . if anything both ikwerre an igbo get along just find with one another .
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Afam4eva(m): 10:19am On Sep 10, 2012
c.r.r.o:

you have a way of putting words to my understanding. unlike some sad from your user id im guessing your from cross river im not sure. but can i ask why its only igbo these days that seem to be streching out hands to try claim others ? i mean are they forgettin it was either them than ran away ? or put R infront of names of roads ? most of if not all of my friends are igbo its funny how we dont talk about this because since we were young an igbo man has always been an igbo man and an ikwerre man has always benn ikwerre . if anything both ikwerre an igbo get along just find with one another .
I'm Igbo from Enugu. My name is Afamefuna and not Afang soup. lol grin

It's not only Igbo that are stretching hands to claim people. Don't you see Ijaws claiming people like the Bonnys/ Opobos who are a mix of Igbo and Ijaw. On this forum several time, i've also seen Yorubas claiming Ilajes, Itsekiris and even Edo(embarrasingly). It's also because you see more Igboid groups claiming not to be Igbo than you see in other tribes. For instance, Yorubas even as far as Kogi and Kwara despite that fact that some of them are mixed nwith fulani and their dialect are not intelligible to Yorubas still call themselves Yoruba. It's also because they stand to gain a lot calling themselves Yorubas. But the Itsekiris don't stand to gain anything calling themselves Yorubas because they have oil just like Ikwerres. So, it's not just Igbos.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by crro: 10:56am On Sep 10, 2012
afam4eva:
I'm Igbo from Enugu. My name is Afamefuna and not Afang soup. lol grin

It's not only Igbo that are stretching hands to claim people. Don't you see Ijaws claiming people like the Bonnys/ Opobos who are a mix of Igbo and Ijaw. On this forum several time, i've also seen Yorubas claiming Ilajes, Itsekiris and even Edo(embarrasingly). It's also because you see more Igboid groups claiming not to be Igbo than you see in other tribes. For instance, Yorubas even as far as Kogi and Kwara despite that fact that some of them are mixed nwith fulani and their dialect are not intelligible to Yorubas still call themselves Yoruba. It's also because they stand to gain a lot calling themselves Yorubas. But the Itsekiris don't stand to gain anything calling themselves Yorubas because they have oil just like Ikwerres. So, it's not just Igbos.

i think your right, personally i think igbo n ikwerre do bizniz fine toghether and get on together.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Abagworo(m): 10:59am On Sep 10, 2012
@afam. The point is that Ikwerre used to be Igbo until they realized the advantages of standing on their own. Many Igbo groups have this capability and we cannot stop it by proving their origin or language etc. Ikwerre is evidently an Igbo off shoot. It is also evidently Igbo speaking, dressing and also have mgba, owu, red cap Chieftaincy, de-centralized leadership and colonial installed Ezeship, worship Amadioha, Ojukwu and went on pilgrimage to Arochukwu, Ozuzu and Umunoha. Have recent migratory links to Etche, Ohaji, Ngwa and Oratta.

So if we are talking about language and origin, then they belong to same stock as the Southern Igbos but ethnicity wise, Ikwerre is distinct. They are recognized by the Nigerian constitution as separate from Igbo.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by aribisala0(m): 1:43pm On Sep 10, 2012
THE FACT?
they USED TO BE

okay

Share the EVIDENCE /FACTS
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by aribisala0(m): 1:45pm On Sep 10, 2012
The one thing missing here

evidence evidence evidence evidence evidence evidence evidence evidence evidence evidence evidence evidence evidence evidence evidence evidence evidence evidence evidence evidence evidence evidence evidence evidence ?
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by aribisala0(m): 1:46pm On Sep 10, 2012
all we get is assertion and if you disagree

"You are a fool""You are a fool""You are a fool""You are a fool""You are a fool""You are a fool""You are a fool""You are a fool""You are a fool""You are a fool""You are a fool""You are a fool""You are a fool""You are a fool""You are a fool""You are a fool""You are a fool""You are a fool"
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by aribisala0(m): 1:47pm On Sep 10, 2012
That is the nature of the discourse here let by our drooping,drooling uncle DDDDDDD
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Abagworo(m): 3:12pm On Sep 10, 2012
aribisala0: THE FACT?
they USED TO BE

okay

Share the EVIDENCE /FACTS

The Wilinks report and all pre-1970 documents with regards to ethnicity. Search for them and see for yourself. The first denial of Igbo by any Ikwerre son was by Eze Oriji in 1967 when Gowon was worried on how to create a Rivers State with an Igbo town as capital city. Oriji went with some Riverine people and promised Gowon that they can change identity and be included in a proposed Rivers State.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Abagworo(m): 3:30pm On Sep 10, 2012
TRIBUTE:Exit Of A Legendary Champion: Eze Oriji

By Prince Ike Ogbuehi

I think with this demise, the curtains have finally closed to four legendary champions, respected senior elder statesmen and the titans of the struggle for the creation of old Rivers State in 1967. The other titans of blessed memories are the late Chief Harold Dappa-Biriye, late Chief G. K. J. Amachree and late Chief Wenike Briggs.

The story of the immense contributions and involvement of Eze Oriji in the struggle for the creation of Rivers State was told by late Chief Dappa-Biriye in 1998. the executive member of the Rivers State Community, Abuja had paid him a visit in his hotel room in Abuja. He was with his personal assistant, Mr. Young Ayotamuno. On realizing that I am from Emohua upon my introduction, he enquired about Eze Oriji. He said that he was a great man and that he made the creation of Rivers State possible.

He said every effort made for the creation of Rivers State was rebuffed by General Yakubu Gowon, the then Head of State on the ground that Rivers State was covered with waters and that there was nowhere to site the capital since Port Harcourt belongs to the Ibos. He said it was at that point that Eze Oriji stood up and said that he was from Ikwerre and that Port Harcourt belongs to Ikwerre and that Ikwerres are not Ibos. He then pleaded that the capital of the new state be sited in Port Harcourt. He said it was on that assurance that Rivers State was created with Port Harcourt as capital city in 1967 by General Yakubu Gowon.

As a result of his efforts towards the creation of Rivers State and his dislike of the Ibos over the marginalization of Ikwerre people, he suffered series of arrests and detentions in the hands of Biafran soldiers. His house in Emohua was burnt down by the Biafran rebels. He deflected to the federal side as he escaped from one of his series of detentions. He fought gallantly on the side of the Federal Government for the liberation of Rivers State. He, late Chief Francis Beke, his late younger brother, Mr. Afoma Oriji guided and led the Federal troops through many foot paths in Port Harcourt and other Ikwerre areas to round up and capture the Biafran soldiers. His earlier deflection to the Federal side saved the Ikwerres and indeed Rivers people from the planned elimination by the rebel soldiers. Nigeria soldiers entered Ikwerre land peacefully without much damage.

Also, as the war approached to Emohua, he sent message across to my late father and paramount ruler of Oduoha-Emohua, Eze Wali Ogbuehi who reigned from 1957 to 1983 to remain at home and that he had given a firm directive to Nigerian soldiers to deal kindly with him and his subjects. We then circled around the paramount ruler until they arrived with bags of rice, stockfish, and other gifts. Thereafter, he sent town criers to those who were in the bush to return home, and they did. This singular act endeared him to us.

Later, himself and late Chief Dappa-Biriye were invited by the Federal Government to serve at the federal level. They opted to remain in the state to build the new state. Thus, in 1969, he was appointed the Commissioner of Education, and became one of the pioneer members of the Rivers State Executive Council under the military governorship of the then Commander, AP Diete-Spiff.

It was under his tenure as a commissioner for education that the Rivers State College of Science and Technology was established and now upgraded and known as the University of Science and Technology, Nkpolu, Port Harcourt.

A no-nonsense man, Eze Oriji would at the slightest provocation slap you or use his walking stick to knock your head, though that was during his youthful days. One, he slapped a white man at a time whites were lords in Nigeria and his scholarship was withdrawn and revoked as a punishment by the colonial authority. He took private study with London University and made LLB. Two, during the commissioning of the Choba-Emohua bridge in the '70s, a non-Ikwerre commissioner stood up to libate, Eze Oriji politely excused the drink from him, saying that it is a taboo in Ikwerre custom for non-Ikwerre person to pour drink to our land and our ancestors. Three, each time Ikwerre women carried their garri to the markets to sell to Kalabari women, Kalabari women will grab the cups and measure the garri by themselves to the displeasure of the Ikwerre women. When the story got to Eze Oriji, he sent town criers to all Ikwerre markets to put a stop to it, and it was so, till date. Four, he authorized that Ikwerre language should be the official language in all Ogbakor Ikwerre meetings.

I left the story whole so that anyone interested can judge wisely. For me Oriji did a wrong against God by calling God a fool just because of personal political gains. The newer generation are innocent and many are unaware of the complexities so I don't have any qualms with their ignorance.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by aribisala0(m): 5:22pm On Sep 10, 2012
Abagworo:

The Wilinks report and all pre-1970 documents with regards to ethnicity. Search for them and see for yourself. The first denial of Igbo by any Ikwerre son was by Eze Oriji in 1967 when Gowon was worried on how to create a Rivers State with an Igbo town as capital city. Oriji went with some Riverine people and promised Gowon that they can change identity and be included in a proposed Rivers State.
You are not honest.Why was there a need for a Willinks report.
To say the FIRST DENIAL is missing the point. Have IGBO ever denied being RUSSIAN before we talk of the FIRST DENIAL by IGBO of being RUSSIAN.Why should they need to deny being Russian in the first place.
There was NEVER any need for Ikwerre to deny being IGBO,FULANI or ASANTE until the Colonialists created Nigeria and when they were about to leave anxieties were raised about their fate hence the need for Willinks.To say the matter arose in 1967 is either dishonest or ill-informed.
Some Ikwerre went to the Willinks commission and said they were Igbo while others question their MANDATE to do so. If you dispute this version of events NAME the Ikwerre people who testified at Willinks and state their standing.

Willinks was in the 50s why was there no need for anyone from Mgbidi,Orlu or Owerri to attend Willinks to Affirm their IGBONESS.

Why did this peculiar necessity arise in the 50s before Independence
Why only Ikwerre of ALL the Igbos

ONE QUESTION why is it that the IKWERRE revolted so vociferously against the "IGBO" bible and went on to create THEIR OWN.
To cite Willinks without knowing what Willinks was all about is just funny
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Abagworo(m): 7:19pm On Sep 10, 2012
aribisala0:
You are not honest.Why was there a need for a Willinks report.
To say the FIRST DENIAL is missing the point. Have IGBO ever denied being RUSSIAN before we talk of the FIRST DENIAL by IGBO of being RUSSIAN.Why should they need to deny being Russian in the first place.
There was NEVER any need for Ikwerre to deny being IGBO,FULANI or ASANTE until the Colonialists created Nigeria and when they were about to leave anxieties were raised about their fate hence the need for Willinks.To say the matter arose in 1967 is either dishonest or ill-informed.
Some Ikwerre went to the Willinks commission and said they were Igbo while others question their MANDATE to do so. If you dispute this version of events NAME the Ikwerre people who testified at Willinks and state their standing.

Willinks was in the 50s why was there no need for anyone from Mgbidi,Orlu or Owerri to attend Willinks to Affirm their IGBONESS.

Why did this peculiar necessity arise in the 50s before Independence
Why only Ikwerre of ALL the Igbos

ONE QUESTION why is it that the IKWERRE revolted so vociferously against the "IGBO" bible and went on to create THEIR OWN.
To cite Willinks without knowing what Willinks was all about is just funny

We all know that Willinks report was for State creation and hence the need arose . Are you trying to say that Gowon did not know the ethnicity of Ikwerres before refusing to create Rivers State on the grounds that they were Igbos? If you argue about these obvious points, then you and I have nothing to discuss since every evidence can be rejected without reason.

Even till this day in Ikwerreland, the only people addressed as Igbo is Etche(Azu-Igbo) while Ikwerres around them are called(Azu-Mba). The other Igbos are known by their sub-group names of Ndoki, Egbema, Isuama(also Isoma or Isu) and Ngwa. You should know this if you are Ikwerre. Even if you go to Owerri, Igbo is all inclusive as Owerri people know themselves as Oratta while they call others Isoma, Etche, Ikwerre, Egbema, Ezilihite and Ngwa.

You are making an unnecessary issue out of this as a result of sheer ignorance. Read and ask any Ikwerre elders questions and you will know.

All the tribes mentioned above consist the Southern Igbos and they are related. They are also partly related to the Riverine Igbos of Ogba, Ndoni, Aboh and Oguta who bridge the gap with Western Igbos of Ukwuani,Enuani and Ika who in turn are deeply related to the Northern Igbos of Nri/Awka. So we are all intertwined. Each of these tribes can also pass for distinct ethnic group if they so wish.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by dayokanu(m): 8:47pm On Sep 10, 2012
ACM10:

Talking of Opobo people. I met a young lady at Bori, Ogoniland in 2007. She sells roasted ripe plantain and roasted fish by the roadside. Roasted ripe plantain and fish is one my favourite delicacy(My friend wasn't amused to eat any delicacy sold by the roadside).
The young lady was discussing freely with us in Igbo while she prepares takeaway for us. My friends asked her where she's from; she responded "Opobo". I asked her whether she learnt Igbo by interacting with Igbos or whether Igbo is their primary language. She told me that igbo is their primary language. I was amazed! I haven't travelled much to southern Nigeria, but the more I travel the more I learns that the Igbo shadows extends far and wide.

All these your tales sha

Guess what? We dont believe you, You need more people

cheesy
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Abagworo(m): 11:09pm On Sep 10, 2012
dayokanu:

All these your tales sha

Guess what? We dont believe you, You need more people

cheesy

Opobo actually speaks Igbo as 1st language quite unlike Bonny that speaks Ibani(Ijaw) and Igbo but both are related and more Ijaw by today's identity.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by aribisala0(m): 2:05am On Sep 11, 2012
Abagworo:

We all know that Willinks report was for State creation and hence the need arose . Are you trying to say that Gowon did not know the ethnicity of Ikwerres before refusing to create Rivers State on the grounds that they were Igbos? If you argue about these obvious points, then you and I have nothing to discuss since every evidence can be rejected without reason.

Even till this day in Ikwerreland, the only people addressed as Igbo is Etche(Azu-Igbo) while Ikwerres around them are called(Azu-Mba). The other Igbos are known by their sub-group names of Ndoki, Egbema, Isuama(also Isoma or Isu) and Ngwa. You should know this if you are Ikwerre. Even if you go to Owerri, Igbo is all inclusive as Owerri people know themselves as Oratta while they call others Isoma, Etche, Ikwerre, Egbema, Ezilihite and Ngwa.

You are making an unnecessary issue out of this as a result of sheer ignorance. Read and ask any Ikwerre elders questions and you will know.

All the tribes mentioned above consist the Southern Igbos and they are related. They are also partly related to the Riverine Igbos of Ogba, Ndoni, Aboh and Oguta who bridge the gap with Western Igbos of Ukwuani,Enuani and Ika who in turn are deeply related to the Northern Igbos of Nri/Awka. So we are all intertwined. Each of these tribes can also pass for distinct ethnic group if they so wish.

Guy if you have something to say spit it out. The bullying form of argument where you throw around words like IGNORANT etc does not make your speech more meaningful.
The WILLINKS REPORT was published in the 50s BEFORE independence and had NOTHING to do with GOWON. There was NOT ONE single state in Nigeria when WILLINKS was published.

No it was NOT about state creation.

Did Willinks recommend creation of any states.Please name them ?? better not throw words like ignorance around so they do not return to haunt you

Did I mention Gowon anywhere??
Since you mention Gowon,he actually created Rivers State so I don't know what you are talking about
ETCHE is NOT in IKwerre land. ETCHE is IGBO . Though why you introduce all these irrelevant points here is unclear
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Abagworo(m): 6:27am On Sep 11, 2012
aribisala0:

Guy if you have something to say spit it out. The bullying form of argument where you throw around words like IGNORANT etc does not make your speech more meaningful.
The WILLINKS REPORT was published in the 50s BEFORE independence and had NOTHING to do with GOWON. There was NOT ONE single state in Nigeria when WILLINKS was published.

No it was NOT about state creation.

Did Willinks recommend creation of any states.Please name them ?? better not throw words like ignorance around so they do not return to haunt you

Did I mention Gowon anywhere??
Since you mention Gowon,he actually created Rivers State so I don't know what you are talking about
ETCHE is NOT in IKwerre land. ETCHE is IGBO . Though why you introduce all these irrelevant points here is unclear

I will not respond henceforth because I've observed your modus operandi. No evidence will ever be good enough even when your President recognized the ethnicity.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by OneNaira6: 7:18am On Sep 11, 2012
Abagworo:

He's not Ikwerre. He said before that he is Ijebu.

The only Ikwerre on this thread so far is c.r.r.o hence the reason I do not understand why you all waste so much energy fighting with people that aren't from either group the conversation is about. It is a mystery to me.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by aribisala0(m): 11:11am On Sep 11, 2012
No one is fighting anyone and one does not need to be Ikwerre or Igbo or even Nigeria to have an interest in the subject.I believe the first Igbo dictionary was compiled by a white person as was the now famous excavation at NRI

So discard this you must be from there to discuss it thinking

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ACM10: 11:48am On Sep 11, 2012
aribisala0: No one is fighting anyone and one does not need to be Ikwerre or Igbo or even Nigeria to have an interest in the subject.I believe the first Igbo dictionary was compiled by a white person as was the now famous excavation at NRI

So discard this you must be from there to discuss it thinking

You love to argue senselessly. All these while, I haven't seen you support your argument with raw fact. Yet, you are ready to tear down someone's evidence. Can we have a peep into your evidence? Why should you use "I believe"? Say it the way it is and provide an evidence to support your claim.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by aribisala0(m): 11:51am On Sep 11, 2012
what is my argument?

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Meet Simi Oluwaseyi Phebian, Sister Of Ooni Of Ife's Wife Changes Her Bio / How Much Do Things Cost In Nigeria? / Wuraola Otiti Before She Became Ooni Of Ife’s Queen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.