Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:48 AM

How Do I Know If I Married The Right Person? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / How Do I Know If I Married The Right Person? (1040 Views)

Photos: "Today I Married The Man I Met On Social Media. Don't Ignore All Your DM / I Married My Boo This Weekend (photos) / I Married My Girlfriend Because She Got Pregnant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Know If I Married The Right Person? by ololade34(f): 1:25pm On Oct 20, 2007
I came across this on another website and all i could say was how well put, i shared it with some friends and i thought i should also share it with fellow nairalanders.

Quite an Interesting Read,

I think this is a good read. Hope we can learn from this. Just something to meditate on for those of us that are married, those thinking about it and those newly weds,  here it goes according to the authour:

During one of my current research on relationship, a lady asked a common question.

She said, "How do I know if I married the right person?"

I noticed that there was a large man sitting next to her so I said, "It depends. Is that your husband?"

In all seriousness, she answered "How do you know?"

Let me answer this question because the chances are good that it's weighing on your mind. Here's the answer.

EVERY relationship has a cycle. In the beginning, you fall in love with your spouse. You anticipate their calls, want their touch, and like their idiosyncrasies.

Falling in love with your spouse/partner wasn't hard. In fact, it was a completely natural and spontaneous experience. You didn't have to DO anything. That's why it's called "falling" in love,  Because it's happening TO YOU.

People in love sometimes say, "I was swept of my feet." Think about the imagery of that expression. It implies that you were just standing there; doing nothing, and then something exciting just engulfed you.

Falling in love is easy. It's a passive and spontaneous experience.

But after a few years of marriage/courtship, the euphoria of love fades. It's the natural cycle of EVERY relationship.

Slowly but surely, phone calls become a bother (if they come at all), touch is not always
welcome (when it happens), and your spouse's idiosyncrasies, instead of being cute, drive you nuts.

The symptoms of this stage vary with every relationship, but if you think about your marriage, you will notice a dramatic difference between the initial stage when you were in love and a much duller or even angry subsequent stage.

At this point, you and/or your spouse/partner might start asking, "Did I marry the right person? Or am I dating the right person?" And as you and your spouse reflect on the euphoria of the love you once had, you may begin to desire that experience with someone
else.

This is when marriages/relationships breakdown. People blame their spouse for their unhappiness and look outside their marriage/relationship for fulfillment. Extramarital fulfillment comes in all shapes and sizes.

Infidelity is the most obvious, but sometimes people turn to work, a hobby, a friendship, excessive TV, or abusive substances.

But the answer to this dilemma does NOT lie outside your marriage/relationship, it lies within it. I'm not saying that you couldn't fall in love with someone else, you could, & TEMPORARILY you'd feel better.

But you'd be in the same situation a few years later. Because (listen carefully to this):

THE KEY TO SUCCEEDING IN MARRIAGE/RELATIONSHIP IS NOT FINDING THE RIGHT
PERSON; IT'S LEARNING TO LOVE THE PERSON YOU FOUND.

SUSTAINING love is not a passive or spontaneous experience. It'll NEVER just happen to you. You can't "find" LASTING love. You have to "make" it day in and day out. That's why we have the expression "the labour of love.

"Because it takes time, effort, and energy . And most importantly, it takes WISDOM. You have to know WHAT TO DO to make your marriage/relationship work. Make no mistake about it.

Love is NOT a mystery. There are specific things you can do (with or without your
spouse) to succeed with your marriage/relationship. Just as there are physical laws of the universe (such as gravity), there are also laws for relationships. Just as the right diet and exercise program makes you physically stronger, certain habits in your relationship WILL make your marriage stronger.

It's a direct cause and effect. If you know and apply the laws, the results are predictable. , you can "make" love. Love in marriage/relationship is indeed a "decision",  Not just a feeling.

Remember this always "God determines who walks into our life; it is up to us to decide who we let walk away, who we let stay, and who we refuse to let go."
Re: How Do I Know If I Married The Right Person? by Nobody: 11:03am On Oct 24, 2007
So, so enlightening.
i particularly like this part. kind of like a wake-up call.
ololade34:

SUSTAINING love is not a passive or spontaneous experience. It'll NEVER just happen to you. You can't "find" LASTING love. You have to "make" it day in and day out. That's why we have the expression "the labour of love.

"Because it takes time, effort, and energy . And most importantly, it takes WISDOM. You have to know WHAT TO DO to make your marriage/relationship work. Make no mistake about it.
Re: How Do I Know If I Married The Right Person? by opokonwa(m): 2:14pm On Oct 24, 2007
@POSTER

Thanks peep

So enlightening indeed!
Re: How Do I Know If I Married The Right Person? by omega25red(m): 2:48pm On Oct 24, 2007
great post
Re: How Do I Know If I Married The Right Person? by jkpretty(f): 3:03pm On Oct 24, 2007
I love this, it just makes people remember that, u need to work on love, u don't just have it to keep it. U need to water it to make it grow, new, juicy & Satisfying. grin
Re: How Do I Know If I Married The Right Person? by Busta(f): 3:08pm On Oct 24, 2007
nice, nice
Re: How Do I Know If I Married The Right Person? by Seun(m): 9:24am On Oct 25, 2007
Bullshit. Some people are impossible to love, so save yourself the stress

Simple advice: Open your eyes before marriage and close your eyes after marriage.
In other words, get the best person you can get, and then learn to love that best person.
Re: How Do I Know If I Married The Right Person? by almondjoy(f): 11:34am On Oct 25, 2007
Seun:

Bullshit. Some people are impossible to love, so save yourself the stress

Simple advice: Open your eyes before marriage and close your eyes after marriage.
In other words, get the best person you can get, and then learn to love that best person.

Words of wisdom!  Hear Yea!  Hear Yea!  Just get the best option and work it out.  For you can never ever know if you married for the right reasons or the right person, for it is never over even after the fat lady has sung----Six Feet Under.  That is an ongoing process that needs evaluation on a daily basis!  Ask couples who have been married for 25 years and above. 

Bottom line--It is an educational process that you can never get a diploma in!!!!!!  Your education stops with death---without the diploma or certificate to show for all the educational process.  Just learn to love and respect that's all.  Your reward may be in heaven afterall! Time will tell I say---Time will tell!

(1) (Reply)

My Fiance Got Married Without Telling Me / She Can't Express Herself / What Do U Think About Chatting Online Whether Married Or Single?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.