Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,104 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:03 AM

Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! (14255 Views)

Tompolo: Withdraw Troops From Niger Delta – Ann-kio Briggs Warns Buhari / Boko Haram Carries Out First Attack On Niger Republic / “jonathan Or Not, Niger Delta ‘ll Resume Militancy This Year” – Annkio Briggs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by noiseless: 4:21pm On Feb 24, 2012
Very important question, for how long will it continue?  The bottom line is there will be always few sceptics so we cant expect a 100% of all of us to view things like everyone from day one,but we just need to keep focus and prove them wrong and in the end they will see it and judge for themselves. Honestly we should not be deterred or surprised by those school of thoughts.
htajz:

we dont have to form another marriage , we can be seperate nations politically while maybe sharing the same economic boundries , the most important thing is for both we ijaws and the igbos and other groups to get their resources and be able to control their destiny, there is no time we all made our mistakes in the past(even though some ijaws fought for biafra but this is not the time for that argument).[/b] the earlier the better, how long will it continue.[b]
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by Afam4eva(m): 4:54pm On Feb 24, 2012
I like this woman because she says it as it is. Why should she keep quiet when the Nigerian state is stealing the oil meant for the people of the Niger Delta. This is a day light robbery that should not be allowed to persist.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by pazienza(m): 5:45pm On Feb 24, 2012
Dede1:

I appreciate your concerns about the future of Ndigbo in conjunction with the level of understanding of our past. However, the history of northern, western and eastern region is much unparalleled. The Fulani and Kanuri are looked upon as the conquerors, for direction and leadership. If I am correct, the non-ethnic groups in the northern had been known and acted on the orders of Fulani and Kanuri as the so-called overloads. Otherwise, how could a Tiv man joined the Fulani/Hausa/Kanuri to persecute a war against the very people whose sons partook in coup because of a reason, among others, that a Fulani gave orders to Lt Col James Pam, Tiv, to annihilate his people during Tiv riot of 1964.

If you have opportunity to look into the ministerial appointment of northern region in the 50s, an Igbo person made the list before any minority from north was remembered. The same scenario happened in western region of Nigeria where Oba of Benin was regarded as second class Oba. An Edo man had to cross carpet to be dashed the position of deputy speaker.

It was a different jig in eastern region where Ndigbo treated their neighbors as equals and siblings. Eastern region was once under the leadership of Ibibio and Efik when Prof Eyo Ita was head of the government and Obong of Calaber was the president of House of Chiefs. Ministerial positions were spread among the ethnic groups. Yet the ingrates who termed themselves as minorities will never pass up a chance to stick a dagger at the back of Igbo person.

I shall not play Zik or Ironsi in my future dealing with any part of Nigeria that is not Igbo except Ibibio, Annag, Ogoni and Okirika/Kalabari. I shall be brutal as a stiff.

If I am being allowed to decide the faith of Ndigbo in future, I shall always pursue the idea of Republic of Igbo land. In absence of such republic, I would not mind a nationality with Ibibio, Annang, Ogoni and Okirika person. The idea of Igbo and Niger Delta crap is none starter to me because there are absolutely nothing these jokers have that Ndigbo need. I hope the Efiks are enjoying the toilet paper treatment the Yoruba, Fulani, Hausa and Kanuri controlled federal government of Nigeria handed down to them in Bakassi.     

Eeh mama nkechi,biko nwetalu dede ofu botulu beer cheesy
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by Obiagu1(m): 6:19pm On Feb 24, 2012
@ OnlyTruth, you got a great piece there, I always trust your judgement. However, Hausas allowing Gowon to lead was not strategic, rather it was the circumstance they found themselves in. Gowon was the COAS then and he led the coup. In our own situation, Ojukwu was the Governor of Eastern Region so positions were kept in both cases. There was no extraordinary planning in respect to leadership.

On the believe that you could have, if you were in a position to do so in the 60's, let our Biafran secession effort be led by non-Igbo almost completely, though it "could" make a difference but I tell you that that's the position they want us, Ndigbo, to be; their subordinates. That's the only situation that seems to make them happy. Just like when Prof Eyo Ita was the head of government and Obong of Calabar was the president of House of Chiefs, things were rosy and good and everyone was happy but when Zik became the head of government, things changed. You know the rest.

When OBJ was about to groom a possible successor to a Northern President after him, guess what happened, the SS ratcheted up their cry and many were saying it had to be them and not an Igboman. OBJ did their wish and they were happy. When GEJ faced difficulty succeeding Yar'dua, it was Dora that ended the lies and gimmick in the Executive council meeting and she took a lot of damaging flak for that. When it came to supporting GEJ to win an election, we were there for them 100% which cost our people's lives in the aftermath of the election in the North. You know the rest. We have again and again proved that we care for our brothers/cousins but who cares for us?

So, on what you said that "our dream will remain a dream if we fail to carry them along" did not go down well with me if the idea of carrying them along is to make them lord over us, as they've proved over and over again as the only condition for partnership, then fu<k it, we can always find a way out of every situation.

I'm very sceptical when I have history to back up my worries. Let's see how their support for an Igbo President would be; I hope you wouldn't be shocked. After then I'll beat my chest and say "we have an important ally" and only then that I'll agree that our neighbours are priceless assets to us rather than sinkholes that are there to drain all our efforts and struggles and reduce us to nothingness.

I admire people like Beaf, who I believe is sincere, for his efforts.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by pazienza(m): 11:37pm On Feb 24, 2012
Obiagu1:

@ OnlyTruth, you got a great piece there, I always trust your judgement. However, Hausas allowing Gowon to lead was not strategic, rather it was the circumstance they found themselves in. Gowon was the COAS then and he led the coup. In our own situation, Ojukwu was the Governor of Eastern Region so positions were kept in both cases. There was no extraordinary planning in respect to leadership.

On the believe that you could have, if you were in a position to do so in the 60's, let our Biafran secession effort be led by non-Igbo almost completely, though it "could" make a difference but I tell you that that's the position they want us, Ndigbo, to be; their subordinates. That's the only situation that seems to make them happy. Just like when Prof Eyo Ita was the head of government and Obong of Calabar was the president of House of Chiefs, things were rosy and good and everyone was happy but when Zik became the head of government, things changed. You know the rest.

When OBJ was about to groom a possible successor to a Northern President after him, guess what happened, the SS ratcheted up their cry and many were saying it had to be them and not an Igboman. OBJ did their wish and they were happy. When GEJ faced difficulty succeeding Yar'dua, it was Dora that ended the lies and gimmicks in the Executive council meeting and she took a lot of damaging flak for that. When it came to supporting GEJ to win an election, we were there for them 100% which cost our people's lives in the aftermath of the election in the North. You know the rest. We have again and again proved that we care for our brothers/cousins but who cares for us?

So, on what you said that "our dream will remain a dream if we fail to carry them along" did not go down well with me if the idea of carrying them along is to make them lord over us, as they've proved over and over again as the only condition for partnership, then fu<k it, we can always find a way out of every situation.

I'm very sceptical when I have history to back up my worries. Let's see how their support for an Igbo President would be; I hope you wouldn't be shocked. After then I'll beat my chest and say "we have an important ally" and only then that I'll agree that our neighbours are priceless assets to us rather than sinkholes that are there to drain all our efforts and struggles and reduce us to nothingness.

I admire people like Beaf, who I believe is sincere, for his efforts.

Thank u very much,our partnership with the so called minorities works better when they are occupying the juicy positions and not the other way round.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by pazienza(m): 11:44pm On Feb 24, 2012
It's mainly the naive igbo youths that usually shout SE/SS,the elders don't,they have seen how that partnership work,even uwazuruike is now talking of an igbo country without the minorities,the earlier we start thinking of an igbo only country,the better for us.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by Dainfamous: 12:18am On Feb 25, 2012
pazienza:

Thank u very much,our partnership with the so called minorities works better when they are occupying the juicy positions and not the other way round.

hmmmmm cant you give people a chance even thou our SE/SS had a bitter past but i know we have seen clear now,we will always gonna be neighbors no matter what and we will trade together and mix together more as we are doing now even thou not all SS will be included some midwesterners want to join  their SW brothers, everyone will have their own neutral grounds SS will be alright that is like cutting off another 80 million mouths that feed from our oil; so their should by enough to build up the whole eastern region.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by EzeUche(m): 12:24am On Feb 25, 2012
I believe in an Igbo only country with access to the sea.

If some minorities want to be in a nation with us, then so be it, but we shall not force anyone to be in a union with us, if they do not want to.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by Beaf: 12:38am On Feb 25, 2012
pazienza:

It's mainly the naive igbo youths that usually shout SE/SS,the elders don't,they have seen  how that partnership work,even uwazuruike is now talking of an igbo country without the minorities,the earlier we start thinking of an igbo only country,the better for us.

My brother, where have the elders led you? We have had Okotie-Eboh and you have Arthur Nzeribe. Instead of Ekweme's, we have had Jim Nwobodo's; there are a myriad others who fought against your aspirations (both in the war and after) and helped create this wretched situation. The SS has had the very same problem too. So what elders are you talking about?

I would rather look to the present. Would you ever have believed that Ojukwu would be buried with full national honours, or that an Igbo man would ever head the army? Well, these things have happened and they have happened at great cost to GEJ (you can evidence some of that flak right here on NL). It is much easier to ally with the powers that be and sell out like govt top dogs from either of our regions before now have done (except Ekweme); but what is occurring today is the opposite, we are seeing natural alliances among brothers and family instead. That should tell you that the efforts are genuine.

There is only one way to go to get justice is Nigeria, and it is by becoming politically active. There is no sense in becoming politically active if one cannot win, and we can only win if we form alliances across the land to become the political juggernaut that siezes and holds power. The Fulani (a minority group) held Nigeria by the jugular for close to 40 years of our 51 as an independent country. They did it through alliances, so why can't we, especially as we have been downtrodden and so ruthlessy exploited? It is also noteworthy that the Fulani domination failed, because they decided to quarrel with their neighbours whom they look down on; that lesson, my brother is a political gem.

Its time to win, bruv.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by Beaf: 12:45am On Feb 25, 2012
Da infamous:

hmmmmm cant you give people a chance even thou our SE/SS had a bitter past but i know we have seen clear now,we will always gonna be neighbors no matter what and we will trade together and mix together more as we are doing now even thou not all SS will be included some midwesterners want to join  their SW brothers, everyone will have their own neutral grounds SS will be alright that is like cutting off another 80 million mouths that feed from our oil; so their should by enough to build up the whole eastern region.

Thats a political fairytale with origins in the SW.
The old Midwest (where I come from) might prefer to be its owns country, but never part of the SW. If all cards are played right for the creation of an equitable society, then it would be more attractive to be part of a bigger country than the old Midwest.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by Dainfamous: 1:57am On Feb 25, 2012
^^^
Beaf:

My brother, where have the elders led you? We have had Okotie-Eboh and you have Arthur Nzeribe. Instead of Ekweme's, we have had Jim Nwobodo's; there are a myriad others who fought against your aspirations (both in the war and after) and helped create this wretched situation. The SS has had the very same problem too. So what elders are you talking about?

I would rather look to the present. Would you ever have believed that Ojukwu would be buried with full national honours, or that an Igbo man would ever head the army? Well, these things have happened and they have happened at great cost to GEJ (you can evidence some of that flak right here on NL). It is much easier to ally with the powers that be and sell out like govt top dog from either of our regions before now has done (except Ekweme); but what is occurring today is the opposite, we are seeing natural alliances among brothers and family instead. That should tell you that the efforts are genuine.

There is only one way to go to get justice is Nigeria, and it is by becoming politically active. There is no sense in becoming politically active if one cannot win, and we can only win if we form alliances across the land to become the political juggernaut that siezes and holds power. The Fulani (a minority group) held Nigeria by the jugular for close to 40 years of our 51 as an independent country. They did it through alliances, so why can't we, especially as we have been downtrodden and so ruthlessy exploited? It is also noteworthy that the Fulani domination failed, because they decided to quarrel with their neighbours whom they look down on; that lesson, my brother is a political gem.

Its time to win, bruv.
Beaf:

Thats a political fairytale with origins in the SW.
The old Midwest (where I come from) might prefer to be its owns country, but never part of the SW. If all cards are played right for the creation of an equitable society, then it would be more attractive to be part of a bigger country than the old Midwest.
Bro,i knew you are very sensible person from go and your comments blew me away i raise my hat for you.Talking about merging together to form a political Juggernaut shows to me that we have many things in common,life will be so much better i swear,
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by Onlytruth(m): 3:55am On Feb 25, 2012
My brothers Eziachi, Dede1, Obiagu1 and others,

I love this debate because at least no one in SS would think that we have sang kumbaya and gone home. lol  grin grin
I love the fact that we have a divided opinion on this. So, let us continue the debtate!

I have a lot of things to say, but obviously I can't say all of them here; but I would still say everything that captures my core believes about our relationship with our neighbors.
I will state some unimpeachable facts, and then I will make some political statements.

The unimpeachable fact are that we (Igbo and non-Igbo) of Eastern Nigeria are DIRECT neigbhors, and as result, we are in unique positions to do some very good, or very bad things to each other (the civil war treacheries proved that).
The other unimpeachable fact is that both Igbo and non-Igbo lands possess things that others want, things that if we don't use our heads, can lead to our annihilation by others.
Once we understand these two unimpeachable facts, we can now try to prognosticate a political strategy that would lead to good things happening to BOTH peoples (Igbo and non-Igbo).
What happened in the lead up to the civil war, was that our leaders (Igbo and non-Igbo) did not FULLY understand the reality of our situation represented by those unimpeachable facts about the Eastern region. If they did, that war would never have been fought at all. If it was to happen at all, then the Igbo would NEVER have led it.
Like I keep saying, I am determined to ensure that Ndigbo never repeat past mistakes.

I understand the point raised by Obiagu1 about some of the minorities only wanting to be with us when they want to use us, and are only happy when they are leading us.
However, I don't think it is as simple as that. If anything, I see their situation as I see that of African Americans in the US scenario. The minorities felt that we (Igbo) were dominating them politically and felt marginalized. Now the same with AAs, but guess how the whites solved that problem, they overwhelmingly voted a black man to become president. Now, do you think that AAs would make similar claims tomorrow? Nope. I think that Ndigbo can do the same (thank God we've already done so with GEJ). No matter how bad a person is, he/she never forgets certain things. I would bet my money that our neigbhors would not easily forget our gesture in electing GEJ. That does not mean that everything is well now. It only means that we are getting closer to a unity of purpose. In fact, I can almost touch it!.  cool

Now, on the issue of forming an Igbo only country, all I have to say is that it is easier said than done!  undecided

The way I see it, Nigeria is like a cage, and if I learned anything from Yoruba fighting along Hausa/Fulani to stop Biafra, it is that CRAB MENTALITY is the most dangerous obstacle to the realization of an Igbo only country because these minorites also want to leave Nigeria but they can't on their own. Do you think they would just say ok bye with Igboland only and stay under Hausa/Fulani/Yoruba hegemony for ever? You've gat to be kidding me!  undecided Guess what they would likely do? Join the rest to stop us. . .AGAIN. undecided cry

This is part of why I don't value Uwazuruike's opinion on this issue. He failed to prove to me that he is a good strategic thinker when he first called on Igbo in the North to return.
Someone said here that Uwazuruike knows these minorities that is why he is only talking about Igbo nation. I say that Uwazuruike is the problem because he failed to understand that because the Ijaw controls MEND (an armed group), that they would not respect him (an unarmed man in the Nigerian jungle). Have you ever seen where an armed man respects an unarmed man? Nope. So, it is a mistake to conclude that because Ijaw (MEND) disses Uwazuruike, that they hate Igbo or belittle Igbo. Uwazuruike should go and arm up first and come back and talk to Ijaw. I assure you all that the result would be almost opposite!

Personally, when I think about our emancipation in Nigeria, I ALWAYS start from the North. That is why I stated that Ndigbo must find a way to demistify the boogeyman called Hausa/Fulani in Nigeria. The least we can do is to stay in their lands whether they like it or not, because they are in ours. There is more to this which I won't discuss more here.
Bottomline is that if we prove our mettle with these murdering Hausa/Fulanis, nobody would mess with us in our own backyard.
This is why I think that Uwazuruike's MASSOB is achieving the opposite for us. If Uwazuruike is serious about MASSOB, he should not try to hunt lions bare handed. It is obtuse to do that.

So, I maintain that we can still have a Biafra with all the East intact plus Anioma (and even Beaf's Delta sef!).  cool

Like our brother Mikeansy quoted: Consensus is about winning converts, not driving away heretics.   cool

If we want an Igbo only country, let us be realistic about the possibility of its existence.

Now, the political statement.
We (SE and SS) should (due to the circumstances of the undisputed facts raised) move together politically in Nigeria.
If we really understand those facts, we have no choice because any other choice would be political suicide.  cool cool cool
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by SamIkenna: 5:19am On Feb 25, 2012
Onlytruth, Beaf, Mazi Eziachi, Obiagu, Dede1 nwoke oma, you people have written beautifully. I'm really enjoying it. I didnt see the war and I'm also quite sure most people here didnt see it too so if sometimes we act over zealous or over optimistic please Mazi Eziachi pardon us. I read from your previous posts that you served for us to be alive and I cant tell you how much proud of you I'am. Your generation deserves all from us because you people gave your all at a time when being Igbo or Eastern means instant violent death in many parts of this country. May God reward you and your generation now and after.

On the issue of minority groups in the east and midwest, I think we can live together in peace if we really and trully want it. If it comes down to it I believe we can have a confedration of Ijaw, Igbo, Efik, etc. We can maintain one army and currency because that will solidify our economy and at the same time project our power to the outside. My people let the past be past, we dont have to 4get it but lets learn from it.

The future of people from east and parts of midwest may not completely be one but its sure joined in the hip.

Onlytruth Nwanne mmadu, pls keep your thoughts rolling.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by dustydee: 9:58am On Feb 25, 2012
I think the call is misplaced and short sighted. Every region in Nigeria has what it takes to be prosperous our leaders are just being lazy and corrupt.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by SNCOQ3(m): 10:06am On Feb 25, 2012
Sam_Ikenna:

Onlytruth, Beaf, Mazi Eziachi, Obiagu, Dede1 nwoke oma, you people have written beautifully. I'm really enjoying it. I didnt see the war and I'm also quite sure most people here didnt see it too so if sometimes we act over zealous or over optimistic please Mazi Eziachi pardon us. I read from your previous posts that you served for us to be alive and I cant tell you how much proud of you I'am. Your generation deserves all from us because you people gave your all at a time when being Igbo or Eastern means instant violent death in many parts of this country. May God reward you and your generation now and after.

On the issue of minority groups in the east and midwest, I think we can live together in peace if we really and trully want it. If it comes down to it I believe we can have a confedration of Ijaw, Igbo, Efik, etc. We can maintain one army and currency because that will solidify our economy and at the same time project our power to the outside. My people let the past be past, we dont have to 4get it but lets learn from it.

The future of people from east and parts of midwest may not completely be one but its sure joined in the hip.

Onlytruth Nwanne mmadu, pls keep your thoughts rolling.

Seconded
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by Nobody: 10:15am On Feb 25, 2012
Obiagu1:

You need to pick up your book and read it thoroughly so you have an understanding of your history instead of spreading falsities. What coup did Gowon lead as COAS? What "Circumstance" did Hausas "find themselves in"?And how wasn't his appointment as Head of State "strategic"? They could just as easily disposed of Gowon on that fateful July Night and nothing would have happened! But, What could be "better" than a Group of Northern Soldiers--- who claimed to be avenging the deaths of "Northern" (and Western Leaders) who were killed by "Igbos"--- now turning around to give power to a member of a minority group, and a Christian at that?! Masterstroke! Place everyone against the Igbos and show them as a "greedy", "selfish" group that always want to "corner" everything! You see it now?

Quite frankly, if Ojukwu/Igbo leaders had formulated a way to carry everyone along like the Hausas masterfully did, there would be a Biafra today. But, alas, that was another one of the failures.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by SNCOQ3(m): 10:21am On Feb 25, 2012
dustydee:

I think the call is misplaced and short sighted. Every region in Nigeria has what it takes to be prosperous our leaders are just being lazy and corrupt.

Have you ever asked yourself why we keep having lazy and corrupt leaders?? I believe in a Confederate Nigeria but if its not possible i'l go for Biafra.

If Nigeria breaks up, the nations that will emerge from it will never be  potentially poor - some will just be richer than others. Poverty will only be a function of mismanagement not resources.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by cheikh: 3:06am On Feb 26, 2012
Onlytruth
I look at PH and Calabar for instance, and conclude that there is no reason on earth why these two cities could not have rivalled or even surpassed Lagos in greatness today, had our past leaders been more strategic in thinking.

For me, one of the biggest mistake of the Biafran war effort was that it never seriously carried the non-Igbo along.
We were unlucky not to have such leaders, but then, who is perfect on this earth.
A perfect strategy would have been to allow the whole Biafran secession effort to be led by non-Igbo almost completely (win or lose), with us prividing the needed numbers when necesssary.
The North did it successfully by foisting Gowon. Why couldn't we do the same?
Why is the North still one today, while our region was balkanized into SE and SS?
We have to start using our God given brains.
Extraordinary situation always calls for extraordinary strategies.

I would not mind a Dokubo or any seriously minded Ijaw or Ibibio leading MASSOB for instance. Igbo "smart folks" can be his advisers and guide in that effort.
The end result is the only thing that matters.

This is where I differ from some of my brothers.
I often say here that if someone like myself was in the Biafran war planning team, THERE IS NO WAY WE WOULD LOSE THAT WAR.
I'm serious.

So, I reject the idea that our neighbors cannot be an priceless asset to the emancipation effort.
On the contrary I even think that our dream will remain a dream if we fail to carry them along.

Here I stand!

@^^ The best post from you I have read in a very long time. wink. I am glad that you have come round to understand my view point about the sad end of Biafra because of lack of serious strategic thinking [/b]on the part of the so called Igbo leadership then. You and I almost think alike in terms of understanding the [b]goal and [b]essence [/b]of Power, War and Peace. Please continue to share your wisdom so that loud mouths and foolish persons can learn.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by ChinenyeN(m): 4:14am On Feb 26, 2012
HELL NO!! We tried once and we WILL NOT try again. ND can find their own way.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by Dede1(m): 5:14am On Feb 26, 2012
Onlytruth:

My brothers Eziachi, Dede1, Obiagu1 and others,

I love this debate because at least no one in SS would think that we have sang kumbaya and gone home. lol  grin grin
I love the fact that we have a divided opinion on this. So, let us continue the debtate!

I have a lot of things to say, but obviously I can't say all of them here; but I would still say everything that captures my core believes about our relationship with our neighbors.
I will state some unimpeachable facts, and then I will make some political statements.

The unimpeachable fact are that we (Igbo and non-Igbo) of Eastern Nigeria are DIRECT neigbhors, and as result, we are in unique positions to do some very good, or very bad things to each other (the civil war treacheries proved that).
The other unimpeachable fact is that both Igbo and non-Igbo lands possess things that others want, things that if we don't use our heads, can lead to our annihilation by others.
Once we understand these two unimpeachable facts, we can now try to prognosticate a political strategy that would lead to good things happening to BOTH peoples (Igbo and non-Igbo).
What happened in the lead up to the civil war, was that our leaders (Igbo and non-Igbo) did not FULLY understand the reality of our situation represented by those unimpeachable facts about the Eastern region. If they did, that war would never have been fought at all. If it was to happen at all, then the Igbo would NEVER have led it.
Like I keep saying, I am determined to ensure that Ndigbo never repeat past mistakes.

I understand the point raised by Obiagu1 about some of the minorities only wanting to be with us when they want to use us, and are only happy when they are leading us.
However, I don't think it is as simple as that. If anything, I see their situation as I see that of African Americans in the US scenario. The minorities felt that we (Igbo) were dominating them politically and felt marginalized. Now the same with AAs, but guess how the whites solved that problem, they overwhelmingly voted a black man to become president. Now, do you think that AAs would make similar claims tomorrow? Nope. I think that Ndigbo can do the same (thank God we've already done so with GEJ). No matter how bad a person is, he/she never forgets certain things. I would bet my money that our neigbhors would not easily forget our gesture in electing GEJ. That does not mean that everything is well now. It only means that we are getting closer to a unity of purpose. In fact, I can almost touch it!.  cool

Now, on the issue of forming an Igbo only country, all I have to say is that it is easier said than done!  undecided

The way I see it, Nigeria is like a cage, and if I learned anything from Yoruba fighting along Hausa/Fulani to stop Biafra, it is that CRAB MENTALITY is the most dangerous obstacle to the realization of an Igbo only country because these minorites also want to leave Nigeria but they can't on their own. Do you think they would just say ok bye with Igboland only and stay under Hausa/Fulani/Yoruba hegemony for ever? You've gat to be kidding me!  undecided Guess what they would likely do? Join the rest to stop us. . .AGAIN. undecided cry

This is part of why I don't value Uwazuruike's opinion on this issue. He failed to prove to me that he is a good strategic thinker when he first called on Igbo in the North to return.
Someone said here that Uwazuruike knows these minorities that is why he is only talking about Igbo nation. I say that Uwazuruike is the problem because he failed to understand that because the Ijaw controls MEND (an armed group), that they would not respect him (an unarmed man in the Nigerian jungle). Have you ever seen where an armed man respects an unarmed man? Nope. So, it is a mistake to conclude that because Ijaw (MEND) disses Uwazuruike, that they hate Igbo or belittle Igbo. Uwazuruike should go and arm up first and come back and talk to Ijaw. I assure you all that the result would be almost opposite!

Personally, when I think about our emancipation in Nigeria, I ALWAYS start from the North. That is why I stated that Ndigbo must find a way to demistify the boogeyman called Hausa/Fulani in Nigeria. The least we can do is to stay in their lands whether they like it or not, because they are in ours. There is more to this which I won't discuss more here.
Bottomline is that if we prove our mettle with these murdering Hausa/Fulanis, nobody would mess with us in our own backyard.
This is why I think that Uwazuruike's MASSOB is achieving the opposite for us. If Uwazuruike is serious about MASSOB, he should not try to hunt lions bare handed. It is obtuse to do that.

So, I maintain that we can still have a Biafra with all the East intact plus Anioma (and even Beaf's Delta sef!).  cool

Like our brother Mikeansy quoted: Consensus is about winning converts, not driving away heretics.   cool

If we want an Igbo only country, let us be realistic about the possibility of its existence.

Now, the political statement.
We (SE and SS) should (due to the circumstances of the undisputed facts raised) move together politically in Nigeria.
If we really understand those facts, we have no choice because any other choice would be political suicide.  cool cool cool

I have argued relentlessly about the avoidance of the civil war. Yes, it could have been avoided but not through subjugation of Ndigbo in any form or manner. Even Ojukwu alluded to this fact in one of the few interviews he gave to certain news media. I shall not dabble into the lengthy history of Nigeria with Igbo statesmen at certain leadership positions as it pertained to the civil war. The northern region never believed in the cesspit called Nigeria and I believe Uche Chukwumerije could attest to it as his position in RMA, Sandhurst, UK remains vacant till today because of nepotistic attitude of Tafawa Balewa’s government towards northerners.

Of course, the civil war would have been avoided if the so-called elites of Igbo peeps, such as Ironsi, in Nigerian armed forces had listened to few junior staff officers such Lt Col Patrick Anwunah. It is unexplainable manner of attitude found among certain Igbo peeps in corridor power to have unflinching trust on non-Igbo people around them which eventually saw us in a terrible war where we fought defensively throughout duration of the war.

With all due respect sir, it is unacceptable indictment of Nidgbo for anyone to insinuate minorities in eastern region were not carried along in Biafran course. The SSG was a minority, second in command was minority, ambassador of Biafra in UK was a minority, most Baifran brigade commanders were from the minority, Biafran propagandist was a minority, minister of natural resources was minority and the representative of Biafra in Canada was a minority. How else will a minority be carried? I guess they would have been happy if Ojukwu was a minority too.

It is unfortunate a person of well-organized social order such as you will draw diametrically opposed analogy between Ndigbo/minorities in eastern region of Nigeria with European/African-Americans in USA. Ndigbo did not enslave the minorities in eastern region. Ndigbo were equally unfortunate as the minorities in eastern region to found them selves in a country such as Nigeria. Ndigbo can not change their aggressiveness, hardworking nature, industriousness, business acumen and willingness to compete with anybody even when the playing field is not level, in fact qualities that attracted hatred from their neighbors.

If Nigeria should disintegrate today or suddenly found itself in a slippery path of balkanization, I shall adamantly call for Republic of Igbo land. There are things nobody can modify in Nigeria and one of them is geographical location of certain things. If Ndigbo could not fight to defend them selves in a situation in Nigeria where Yoruba, Fulani, Hausa, Kanuri, Tiv or Nupe are fighting to stand as a nation, then Ndigbo should remain vanquished. 

I shall state unequivocally there are absolutely nothing the minority ethnicities possessed Ndigbo crave. However, I shall not reject the idea of sharing nationality with Ibibio, Annang, Ogoni and Okirika/Kalabari.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by alex14(m): 5:34am On Feb 26, 2012
Excellent debate from different sides of the coin. While I commend the changing attitude of our non-Igbo neighbors vis-a-vis their past wrt Ndigbo, I will everly remain cautious in dealing with them (minorities).
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by EzeUche(m): 6:04am On Feb 26, 2012
My foolish Igbo brothers will never learn.

You would have thought being stabbed in the back ONCE, would be enough, but you still have foolish Igbo preaching unity with the so called "South-South."

Let them fight their own battle.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by Obiagu1(m): 6:14am On Feb 26, 2012
Dede1:

I have argued relentlessly about the avoidance of the civil war. Yes, it could have been avoided but it was not through subjugation of Ndigbo in any form or manner. Even Ojukwu alluded to this fact in one of the few interviews he gave to certain news media. I shall not dabble into the lengthy history of Nigeria with Igbo statesmen at certain leadership positions as it pertained to the civil war. The northern region never believed in the cesspit called Nigeria and I believe Uche Chukwumerije could attest to it as his position in RMA, Sandhurst, UK remains vacant till today because of nepotistic attitude of Tafawa Balewa’s government towards northerners.

Of course, the civil war would have been avoided if the so-called elites of Igbo peeps, such as Ironsi, in Nigerian armed forces had listened to few junior staff officers such Lt Col Patrick Anwunah. It is unexplainable manner of attitude found among certain Igbo peeps in corridor power to have unflinching trust on non-Igbo people around them which eventually saw us in a terrible war where we fought defensively throughout duration of the war.

With all due respect sir, it is unacceptable indictment of Nidgbo for anyone to insinuate minorities in eastern region were not carried along in Biafran course. The SSG was a minority, second in command was minority, ambassador of Biafra in UK was a minority, most Baifran brigade commanders were from the minority, Biafran propagandist was a minority, minister of natural resources was minority and the representative of Biafra in Canada was a minority. How else will a minority be carried? I guess they would have been happy if Ojukwu was a minority too.

It is unfortunate a person of well-organized social order such as you will draw diametrically opposed analogy between Ndigbo/minorities in eastern region of Nigeria with European/African-Americans in USA. Ndigbo did not enslave the minorities in eastern region. Ndigbo were equally unfortunate as the minorities in eastern region to found them selves in a country such as Nigeria. Ndigbo can not change their aggressiveness, hardworking nature, industriousness, business acumen and willingness to compete with anybody even when the playing field is not level, in fact qualities that attracted hatred from their neighbors.

If Nigeria should disintegrate today or suddenly found itself in a slippery path of balkanization, I shall adamantly call for Republic of Igbo land. There are things nobody can modify in Nigeria and one of them is geographical location of certain things. If Ndigbo could not fight to defend them selves in a situation in Nigeria where Yoruba, Fulani, Hausa, Kanuri, Tiv or Nupe are fighting to stand as a nation, then Ndigbo should remain vanquished. 

I shall state unequivocally there are absolutely nothing the minority ethnicities possessed Ndigbo crave. However, I shall not reject the idea of sharing nationality with Ibibio, Annang, Ogoni and Okirika/Kalabari.

I agree with you and the boldfaced is my concern. Unless they are lording over us, then we are one else they are different to the extent that SS Igbos didn't count as SS when OBJ decided to pick a SS as the VP to Yar'dua.

However, I'm not against a united East, strategically it will be very helpful in whatever we do, but I will always be cautious when dealing with them until I start to see openness and fairness from their side. We have supported them lets see how they will reciprocate.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by ChinenyeN(m): 6:45am On Feb 26, 2012
Onlytruth, I cannot, for the life of me, understand why you think it sensible that ND and Igbo have a union of ANY KIND. Neighbors or not, there exists no real reason for why ND and Igbo should WILLINGLY form any sort of union. Please, do not use the clumsy series of events that culminated in the incomprehensibly mass support of GEJ as a measure of relations between ND and Igbo. As 'strategic' as it may seem in your mind, it is naivety to think that such a clumsy occurrence means a damn thing.

Honestly, I hope you are not allowing the questionable "change in character" exhibited lately by ND people to fool you into believing that there exists even the most remote and phantom of possibilities of "Eastern Unity". To me, all the news I have been reading/hearing about ND meetings and this new "pro-Igbo" propaganda, is beyond incomprehensible. In fact, I even find it insulting. As far as I am concerned, the line that draws "Rivers state" should be the demarcation that indicates the beginning of "negligible territories". These negligible territories are essentially lands, of which we have no sentimental attachment. We should feel nothing toward the region; nothing at all. Furthermore, negligible territories equates to negligible people, meaning that just as with the land, we should feel nothing toward the so-called people that have traced themselves behind the line of negligible territories. Igbo approach to ANY and EVERY advancement made by negligible territories, should be characterized largely by indifference and realism. Actions and decisions undertaken by Igbo should not be based on any false sense of brotherhood; no "we are siblings" mentality. Those days are long-since dead. 20th century occurrences saw to that.

I am not opposed to engaging in joint, pragmatic ventures with those from negligible territories, but so long as history is my witness, there will not be any "unity of purpose". These "minorities" know what they want, and it is unbelievably naive to believe that it can ever be shared purpose.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by Obiagu1(m): 6:57am On Feb 26, 2012
^^^

I will not use the word "negligible" for anyone; just saying.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by Nobody: 7:17am On Feb 26, 2012
Instead of going far into issue that will take us a century(exagerating) to achieve, why not every region control herself, this time SS, SE,SW MB,NE, NW etc. I think this is the best solution than going to issue that can lead to another massacre, mark me if any region tries to leave Nigeria,others will bounce on her like vultures. So why dont we have a con federal system that can give way for hausas,igbos,yorubas etc to leave nigeria tomorrow peacefully if they are not wanted or if they decid to.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by ChinenyeN(m): 8:25am On Feb 26, 2012
Obiagu1:

^^^I will not use the word "negligible" for anyone; just saying.
Of course, naturally I wouldn't elect to use the word "negligible", if not to thoroughly convey (through exaggeration) my current sentiment/understand.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by Nobody: 10:12am On Feb 26, 2012
why is it that people think that some kind or war will take place b4 this country breaks up? not gonna happen cos nobody like the union (only the thieves in govt), its disgusting, senseless and dividing and i assure you no one will fight for the useless republic of nigeria trust me as a notherner i know
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by Onlytruth(m): 10:18am On Feb 26, 2012
ChinenyeN:

Of course, naturally I wouldn't elect to use the word "negligible", if not to thoroughly convey (through exaggeration) my current [size=14pt]sentiment[/size]/understand.

You see my brothers, the bolded is the problem with most of your positions. Almost all of you are arguing based on sentiments and not based cold pragmatism; and unfortunately, that was the major flaw in our Biafra's strategy in 1967, and would likely be the same flaw in 2012 and up, assuming there are no people like me around.  cool

This is really an oppotunity to hammer this point home, and I would use it handsomely.

Let me reharsh what I believe some of you want us to do, which is basically what Uwazuruike wants us to do.
(1) Go back to Igboland
(2) Declare Biafra comprising of only Igboland
(3) Sing Kumbaya and live happily ever after.  grin grin

Now, let me show you what would certainly happen.

(1) Everybody gangs up against Igbo, from Sokoto to Calabar, Damaturu to Forcados
(2) We surrender in FAR SHORTER time this time.
(3) We start another journey in the wilderness for another 40 years, assuming we are not cleansed from our lands this time. cry

My brothers, in the period I have lived to observe great leaders, perhaps the greatest leader I know is President George Herbert Bush ( father of Pres George W, Bush).
Why do I pick him. I pick him because of the masterful and legendary way he planned and implemented the first gulf war in 1990. He could have fought the first gulf war alone or with few allies, he chose to build a broad coalition.
For about 6 months before the war started, he consulted widely and kept sending diplomats to all strategic countries of the world: Russia (the USSR), Britain, France, China, Japan, Pakistan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and others.
Let me just cut a long story short by saying that George H. Bush sent emisories  to even Saddam Hussein who went with clear instructions: leave Kuwait unconditionally. I speculate that they may even have proposed deals to him; ALL IN ATTEMPT TO AVOID WAR, but nevertheless the building of international coalition continued non-stop. By the time he was done, ALL strategic countries were on his side, and Iraq was alone. Then he lauched the famous Operation Desert Storm, and told Saddam Hussein in his war speech that he (Hussien) must learn that NO NATION CAN STAND THE MIGHT OF THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY. When the war was over, it was as if the Iraqies fought God.  shocked  But no, they did not fight God, they fought against a man who had his head firmly on his shoulder. They fought a losing war.

The worst strategy for anybody to adopt in the emancipation of Igbo people, is to isolate us using sentimental reasons and make us a sitting duck for a certain gang up. That is why the Uwazuruike doctrine is very dangerous for Igbo people.
Smart countries of the world ensure that they are at peace and even love, with their neigbors. It is a strategic suicide not to be.

Finally, I want to say that I don't know Igbo people to be tribalists even though we may be the most discriminated tribe in Nigeria governent circle.
I believe that the only reason Biafra happened is because the North was orchestrating a genocide against innocent Easterners in the North, and we had to defend ourselves as Easterners and Biafrans -TOGETHER. Of course some sabotaged that both as individuals and as groups, but it never changed the fact that it was NEVER an Igbo thing. That history has been almost revised to make it an Igbo thing, sadly enough.
Igbo leaders of 1967 could have carved out only Igboland and declared it Biafra; but they didn't. They didn't because we Ndigbo are not tribalists and racial supremacists. Even today, the only real reason why I may want Igbo to secede is because of that same constant mudering of innocent people in the North. If people cannot live in the North, then we have no business being one country.
Apart from that, I would stay in Nigeria. So, I cannot afford to think this way whereby today it is an Igbo only country, tommorrow it may be an Anambra country, day after it may become an Nnewi country, and so on. I would get angry first at the Ikwerre who may still be denying being Igbo, before I get angry at the Ijaw who thinks he owes me no love or loyalty.
There are two sides of the Ijaw nation, those with the Clerks and those with the Briggs and Dokubos. I believe that the Clerks are dying off, and that the future belongs to the Dokubo's and Briggs.  cool
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 10:45am On Feb 26, 2012
I strongly believe that south Nigeria would have been realized in the 1960s if the yorubas did not collaborate with the North. That country today would have been the economic power house of Africa. A dream to all other African nations but our reality.

I strongly believe that the cultural fusion would have been total with every community located in all segments of the country. Yoruba and Igbos would have been natural allies bothering on families rather than all this suspicion. Nyway, that was the alternative that never materialized. The lost southern Nigeria dream. Damn, love that title perhaps it should be my book title on this topic. hahah!

P.s. I am not advocating Southern Nigeria.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by ChinenyeN(m): 3:15pm On Feb 26, 2012
Onlytruth, I am not talking about isolation. Instead, I am talking about judging this ND conviction, from an arms length. Do you honestly not find this acute change in attitude questionable and disturbing? You should. It is not a beginning of some "new era". Don't be so quick as to envision a "future" belonging to the "Dokubo's and Briggs' of Ijo". Truly, you should be more critical of this recent, dramatic, socio-political climate change that we are currently witnessing.

Note where I earlier stated that I have no problem engaging in any sort of joint venture with the people [if necessary], but "unity", of any kind, is pushing it.

Also, I will keep my sentiment, thank you. Sentiment is the spark from which aspiration and initiative are born, nurtured and groomed. It forms a necessary foundation for human endeavor. Pragmatism is the facilitator for appropriate implementation. It encompasses the tools necessary to further initiatives and sustain aspirations. No right-thinking human being can rightly develop an understanding devoid of either sentiment or pragmatism.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by T8ksy(m): 5:29pm On Feb 26, 2012
Bliss4Lyfe:

I strongly believe that south Nigeria would have been realized in the 1960s if the yorubas did not collaborate with the North. That country today would have been the economic power house of Nigeria. A dream to all other African nations but our reality.

I strongly believe that the cultural fusion would have been total with every community located in all segments of the country. Yoruba and Igbos would have been natural allies bothering on families rather than all this suspicion. Nyway, that was the alternative that never materialized. The lost southern Nigeria dream. Damn, love that title perhaps it should be my book title on this topic. hahah!

P.s. I am not advocating Southern Nigeria.

How many times does one have to tell you (and your ilk) that yorubas did not collaborate with anyone to fight ibos rather they rose up to deny ojukwu and his BLF the chance of  subjugating them. Ojukwu was well aware that yorubas were at that time requesting from Gowon, the removal of northern troops (of occupation) from the streets of yorubaland. So, why then would we want to replace these northern troops with ibo troops (with similar or even worst intention)? They were both seen as foreign troops on yoruba soil. Go and read Ojukwu's letter to Banjo- he did not offer us a partnership  or a collaboration/union instead he wanted to colonise us and we rightly refused. was that a crime? We have already witnessed how ojukwu "liberated" the mid-west region. We did not want ibo troops of occupation on our soil, afterall their fight was with the north so why then was Ojukwu coming to invade our region?

LETTER FROM LT.COL. OJUKWU TO LT. COL.BANJO
Biafra is determined to maintain and safeguard her sovereignty and ensure that her integrity and safety are never again threatened

Biafran troops will, after the liberation of the Yorubaland, remain in that territory only for as long as we in Biafra consider it necessary for the Yorubas to consolidate their position and sovereignty against any external threat. Oh so its now down to ojukwu to tell us when he thinks we are ready to govern ourselves. what an arrogant id.iot he was. .

During the period of Biafrans troops’ presence in your territory, all political measures, statements or decrees shall be subject to the approval, in writing by myself or on my authority.Is this your concept of collaboration between the ibos and the yorubas? Was this what ojukwu and his apologists expected us yorubas to fight for? At the end of it all with the attendant massive loss of lives on our part, we yorubas will not be able to do nada in our ancestral land without first getting permission from ojukwu or his stooge? Our traditional rulers will have to defer to ojukwu, everytime they want to f.art in their various palaces. Chie, you guys are just so damn smart. And because we refuse to swallow your infantile bait, you have been wrongly labelling us ever since, as[b]"cowards", "perfidious"[/b] and the rest.

source: http://www.dawodu.com/biafra1.htm
culled from " A Break in the Silence : Lt. Col. Victor Adebukunola Banjo, pp.66-68, by F. Adetowun Ogunsheye, Spectrum Books, Ibadan, 2001" . Provided by Prof. Olufemi Ojo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Warning To All Nigerians On Insults On PMB - Cramjones / Exposing The Real Nnamdi Kanu And Radio Biafra / Supreme Court Upholds The Election Of Okorocha As Governor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 190
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.