Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,102 members, 7,818,294 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:07 PM

Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! (14256 Views)

Tompolo: Withdraw Troops From Niger Delta – Ann-kio Briggs Warns Buhari / Boko Haram Carries Out First Attack On Niger Republic / “jonathan Or Not, Niger Delta ‘ll Resume Militancy This Year” – Annkio Briggs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by Onlytruth(m): 5:45pm On Feb 26, 2012
ChinenyeN:

Onlytruth, I am not talking about isolation. Instead, I am talking about judging this ND conviction, from an arms length. Do you honestly not find this acute change in attitude questionable and disturbing? You should. It is not a beginning of some "new era". Don't be so quick as to envision a "future" belonging to the "Dokubo's and Briggs' of Ijo". Truly, you should be more critical of this recent, dramatic, socio-political climate change that we are currently witnessing.

Note where I earlier stated that I have no problem engaging in any sort of joint venture with the people [if necessary], but "unity", of any kind, is pushing it.

Also, I will keep my sentiment, thank you. Sentiment is the spark from which aspiration and initiative are born, nurtured and groomed. It forms a necessary foundation for human endeavor. Pragmatism is the facilitator for appropriate implementation. It encompasses the tools necessary to further initiatives and sustain aspirations. No right-thinking human being can rightly develop an understanding devoid of either sentiment or pragmatism.

I truly wonder why anyone would think that I have swallowed everything, hook, line and sinker. Beats me! lol. grin

When I say that I am determined to help Ndigbo to NEVER repeat past mistakes that led to the death of millions of our people, I really mean it. Like I also keep saying here, there are a lot of things I cannot say here (and I'm baffled that some of my brothers are not mindful of their words here). We are talking about our neighbors! It seems they did not notice when Nigeria handed over Bakassi to Cameroon. They never read the strategic import of that. Nigeria could have gone to war over it and Cameroon may not have won, but at what strategic price?

I am also baffled by how quick we are to shed friends, allies, partners, neigbhors, all for sentimental reasons. What bothers me most is that there is a group called MASSOB whose leader has shown same traits, which I know can only lead to one result. If not I wouldn't even bother debating this. My fear is that we are about to repeat history, and I hope I shout enough before that ever happens.

Every human attribute has a time and place, and sentiment cannot be unleashed to run amok completely.

What I see happening is that our neighbors are flying kites and guaging our body languages and speeches. Let's not foreclose anything and box ourselves into a strategic corner. No matter what happens, we shall remain neighbors.  cool

I would take Beaf as the voice of SS on this thread.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by emmalexabl(m): 6:21pm On Feb 26, 2012
Niger delta is now synoñymous with resource control as they now sing it as songs for anyone that cares to listen. . I think it is high time the north started issuing out their own threats too or don't they have resource to control . ?
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by ChinenyeN(m): 6:24pm On Feb 26, 2012
What is one to think, Onlytruth, when your responses to recent propaganda are anything but critical? Look, enyi, I understand and agree with your outlook (strategize on how these recent turn of events can be utilized in the most advantageous way possible), but honestly, you seem unnecessarily positive about the direction in which things seem to be going, and that bothers me.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by Dede1(m): 6:45pm On Feb 26, 2012
Onlytruth:

You see my brothers, the bolded is the problem with most of your positions. Almost all of you are arguing based on sentiments and not based cold pragmatism; and unfortunately, that was the major flaw in our Biafra's strategy in 1967, and would likely be the same flaw in 2012 and up, assuming there are no people like me around.  cool

This is really an oppotunity to hammer this point home, and I would use it handsomely.

Let me reharsh what I believe some of you want us to do, which is basically what Uwazuruike wants us to do.
(1) Go back to Igboland
(2) Declare Biafra comprising of only Igboland
(3) Sing Kumbaya and live happily ever after.  grin grin

Now, let me show you what would certainly happen.

(1) Everybody gangs up against Igbo, from Sokoto to Calabar, Damaturu to Forcados
(2) We surrender in FAR SHORTER time this time.
(3) We start another journey in the wilderness for another 40 years, assuming we are not cleansed from our lands this time. cry

My brothers, in the period I have lived to observe great leaders, perhaps the greatest leader I know is President George Herbert Bush ( father of Pres George W, Bush).
Why do I pick him. I pick him because of the masterful and legendary way he planned and implemented the first gulf war in 1990. He could have fought the first gulf war alone or with few allies, he chose to build a broad coalition.
For about 6 months before the war started, he consulted widely and kept sending diplomats to all strategic countries of the world: Russia (the USSR), Britain, France, China, Japan, Pakistan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and others.
Let me just cut a long story short by saying that George H. Bush sent emisories  to even Saddam Hussein who went with clear instructions: leave Kuwait unconditionally. I speculate that they may even have proposed deals to him; ALL IN ATTEMPT TO AVOID WAR, but nevertheless the building of international coalition continued non-stop. By the time he was done, ALL strategic countries were on his side, and Iraq was alone. Then he lauched the famous Operation Desert Storm, and told Saddam Hussein in his war speech that he (Hussien) must learn that NO NATION CAN STAND THE MIGHT OF THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY. When the war was over, it was as if the Iraqies fought God.  shocked  But no, they did not fight God, they fought against a man who had his head firmly on his shoulder. They fought a losing war.

The worst strategy for anybody to adopt in the emancipation of Igbo people, is to isolate us using sentimental reasons and make us a sitting duck for a certain gang up. That is why the Uwazuruike doctrine is very dangerous for Igbo people.
Smart countries of the world ensure that they are at peace and even love, with their neigbors. It is a strategic suicide not to be.

Finally, I want to say that I don't know Igbo people to be tribalists even though we may be the most discriminated tribe in Nigeria governent circle.
I believe that the only reason Biafra happened is because the North was orchestrating a genocide against innocent Easterners in the North, and we had to defend ourselves as Easterners and Biafrans -TOGETHER. Of course some sabotaged that both as individuals and as groups, but it never changed the fact that it was NEVER an Igbo thing. That history has been almost revised to make it an Igbo thing, sadly enough.
Igbo leaders of 1967 could have carved out only Igboland and declared it Biafra; but they didn't. They didn't because we Ndigbo are not tribalists and racial supremacists. Even today, the only real reason why I may want Igbo to secede is because of that same constant mudering of innocent people in the North. If people cannot live in the North, then we have no business being one country.
Apart from that, I would stay in Nigeria. So, I cannot afford to think this way whereby today it is an Igbo only country, tommorrow it may be an Anambra country, day after it may become an Nnewi country, and so on. I would get angry first at the Ikwerre who may still be denying being Igbo, before I get angry at the Ijaw who thinks he owes me no love or loyalty.
There are two sides of the Ijaw nation, those with the Clerks and those with the Briggs and Dokubos. I believe that the Clerks are dying off, and that the future belongs to the Dokubo's and Briggs.  cool

You could be forgiven for seeing future spate of contingencies in Nigeria from the prism of yesteryears. Today’s Nigeria is definitely not Nigeria of 1960 where the common focus was set on a certain ethnic group that seemed to have achieved more than its fair share of accomplishment for a very short period. Everybody assumed consciously or unconsciously that this particular group was out to dominate others. Unfortunately, the January 15, 1996 coup did not help matters either.

Today, the political gauge in Nigeria reads a total different result. Although in certain feudalistic circles, this particularly referenced ethnic group is still viewed as a worthy competitor.

My people say that when a woman is married twice, she can easily discern which of her husbands is better than the other. In addition, my people equally said that a person stung by a bee seems to be afraid of Greenfly.

If Nigeria should disintegrate today, nations shall be formed based on cultural and traditional proximity of ethnicities within a given zone. One of the deciding factors to the formation of a country or nation is numerical strength and ability to organize people into fighting squads to defend natural boundaries or assist neighbors to ward off eminent attacks. Also, there shall be a strategy for territorial expansionism. On both counts, I do believe Republic of Igbo land has the will-power to emerge as a nation.

It is unfortunate you tend to forget both Nigeria and Biafra in 1966 were almost at per baring numerical strength advantage which Biafra was able to stale with strategy. However, it was tactics or lack thereof rather than strategy that saw Biafra retreating from all sectors. By the time the tactics were revamped, the effect of constant retreat has already taken its toll on the fighting spirit of Biafrans.

Again, it is much skewed analogy for one to attempt to juxtapose the instances between Biafra/Nigeria with the condition of wars fought by USA or even Germany. Biafra was not even a country a mouth before the civil war started. It is disingenuous on the part of anybody who seemed to assume that eastern region of Nigeria, which has been politically conned as a result of all Nigerian military installations and depots stationed in northern and western regions of Nigeria, would have the pleasure and comfort to organize a plebiscite seeking the support and opinion of every dimwit or stiff in the region if it should fend off the aggressor at Gerkam and Obollo Afor who had shown  traits to kill, mane, ra.pe, pillage and arson in the name of Allah. For umpteenth time, Biafra was a month old as country and, in fact, an accident of unforeseen contingencies which should not be placed in a silly analogy with USA.

I had tried to avoid the issue of crude oil and other natural resources in Nigeria. When coals, Iron ore and Limestone were the main stay of life wire in eastern region, there was no sense of minority in eastern region. Port Harcourt, Calabar, Enugu, Aba, Umuahia, Owerri, Orlu, Abakiliki, Uyo, Ikot Ekpene, Okigwe, Afam, Eleme, Nsukka, Nakalagu and Afikpo were developed by the government of eastern region with equal commitment. The moment crude oil was struck in Olobiri in 1956, then detractors of eastern region went to work by informing any gull there is a minority in eastern region of Nigeria. It must be recalled that before and earlier part of the Nigeria’s independent, eastern region was also towing southern Cameroon. 

I must inform anybody that Olobiri oil fields that preceded Owaza by few years did not pump more crude oil than Owaza in 1965. Due to the fact there were more offshore crude oil fields in Igbo land than so-called minority, hence 1976 boundary adjustment. Has the discovery of crude oil in minority land or ceding crude oil fields in Igbo land to the so-called minorities uplifted them into majority? I say think folks.

Again, if Nigeria will cease to exist as a country today, which I pray everyday, I must spend the last pint of blood in my body to advocate for the pursuit of Republic of Igbo land. By the same token, I would not mind a nationality with Ibibio, Annag, Ogoni and Okirika/Kalabari.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by Obiagu1(m): 7:09pm On Feb 26, 2012
@ OnlyTruth

I think you got it all wrong. Completely wrong. No one said declaring an Igboland Republic without an agreement with the rest of Nigeria and no one is talking about war. We are only talking about this phantom "unity" which is a bit questionable and suspicious.
You keep harping on what you could have done if you were there in 1967 with the benefit of hindsight with you. Now tell me, what could you have done differently? Step down as the Governor of Eastern Region and hand over to a minority?

Until you address this question, I really don't know what you meant by "allow(ing) the whole Biafran secession effort be led by non-Igbo almost completely" and how they were "never seriously carried" along during our struggle.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by noiseless: 10:18pm On Feb 26, 2012
I really would like to understand your intentions on this topic brov,because most of your arguments are mainly ant-igbo and that you prefere closer relationship to niger delta as your ngwa peeps should join their ikwerre brothers,so what exactly are you on about here seriously? you always argue against ndi igbo in favour of these people,and now we are trying to reason and talk of the way forward between us and them but you seem not to like it why? For others like obiagu,eziachi,dede and few others i do understand their concerns are genuine with good intentions but you,brov i really don't trust your intentions i might be wrong though,so please brov could you share a bit with us why this sudden u turn. Thank you.
ChinenyeN:

Onlytruth, I cannot, for the life of me, understand why you think it sensible that ND and Igbo have a union of ANY KIND. Neighbors or not, there exists no real reason for why ND and Igbo should WILLINGLY form any sort of union. Please, do not use the clumsy series of events that culminated in the incomprehensibly mass support of GEJ as a measure of relations between ND and Igbo. As 'strategic' as it may seem in your mind, it is naivety to think that such a clumsy occurrence means a damn thing.

Honestly, I hope you are not allowing the questionable "change in character" exhibited lately by ND people to fool you into believing that there exists even the most remote and phantom of possibilities of "Eastern Unity". To me, all the news I have been reading/hearing about ND meetings and this new "pro-Igbo" propaganda, is beyond incomprehensible. In fact, I even find it insulting. As far as I am concerned, the line that draws "Rivers state" should be the demarcation that indicates the beginning of "negligible territories". These negligible territories are essentially lands, of which we have no sentimental attachment. We should feel nothing toward the region; nothing at all. Furthermore, negligible territories equates to negligible people, meaning that just as with the land, we should feel nothing toward the so-called people that have traced themselves behind the line of negligible territories. Igbo approach to ANY and EVERY advancement made by negligible territories, should be characterized largely by indifference and realism. Actions and decisions undertaken by Igbo should not be based on any false sense of brotherhood; no "we are siblings" mentality. Those days are long-since dead. 20th century occurrences saw to that.

I am not opposed to engaging in joint, pragmatic ventures with those from negligible territories, but so long as history is my witness, there will not be any "unity of purpose". These "minorities" know what they want, and it is unbelievably naive to believe that it can ever be shared purpose.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by Onlytruth(m): 10:21pm On Feb 26, 2012
I'm lol @noiseless for "catching" ChinenyeN. hehehe! grin grin grin

My brothers, I'm sorry that I haven't had time for almost three days now to address everybody. So, don't misunderstand it that I don't want to address you individually. I'm just pressed for time this weekend.

I'll start with Obiagu1.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by Onlytruth(m): 10:43pm On Feb 26, 2012
Obiagu1:

@ OnlyTruth

I think you got it all wrong. Completely wrong. No one said declaring an Igboland Republic without an agreement with the rest of Nigeria and no one is talking about war. We are only talking about this phantom "unity" which is a bit questionable and suspicious.
You keep harping on what you could have done if you were there in 1967 with the benefit of hindsight with you. Now tell me, what could you have done differently? Step down as the Governor of Eastern Region and hand over to a minority?

Until you address this question, I really don't know what you meant by "allow(ing) the whole Biafran secession effort be led by non-Igbo almost completely" and how they were "never seriously carried" along during our struggle.

My brother I have to start by saying that you made a factually incorrect assertion that the emergence of Gowon after the counter -coup of July 1966 was not a strategic move by the North.
What?  shocked
Pray wasn't that coup led by Murtala Muhammad?
What role did Gowon play in it? Do you recall how long it took the coup plotters before they settled for Gowon, and that was long after Ironsi was dead?
What do you think made Murtala (a very power hungry and ambition man) to agree to cede power to Gowon a minority Angas?

Nna men, growing up and watching Nigerian politics, almost everybody agrees that the North is the most politically savvy section of Nigeria. It does not mean that we cannot overtake them; it only means that we MUST acknowledge our flawed (often emotional) approach to politics. I cannot claim certainty of knowledge regarding what we should have done in 1967, but I know that Ojukwu (for instance) could have stepped down to the position of Army Chief, while Efiong or another capable non-Igbo could have assumed Biafran leadership. If that had happened, military assets like Ojukwu could have been unleashed to organize the army better and with Igbo face remaining largely away from the limelight. When Gowon created the 12 states, the minorities would then be in a REAL FIX regarding dumping the Biafran agenda, afterall, why be a state governor when you are already a head of state?  undecided Our face being there was a MAJOR motivation for other groups in Nigeria to want to fight Biafra. On the enemies side, even though we knew we were fighting the Hausa/Fulani, our enemies in the battlefield where the Tiv, Angas, Beroms, Kattafs and all the Northern minorites plus the Yoruba from the west -an  eediot like Adekunle was only interested in getting to Igboland.  angry sad

Notice that a Murtala even went and commanded an invading division (after leading the counter coup) even though he could have been somewhere in power corridors having fun.
Now imagine Ojukwu marching the Biafran Expeditionary Force to Ore! We would have had a REAL chance of getting to Lagos and sacking Gowon, all the while keeping the East united. I'm using these extreme examples to highlight what we could have done to defeat Gowon's maneuvers. We didn't do it.

As for things I could have done differently, (though I'm not a trained military man), I would have (if an Ijaw or Ibibio was the head of state of Biafra) assigned the Biafran Navy to the minorities completely, and I would have assigned the best military/financial support to that Navy to dominate the Nigerian coast and keep our ports open. In fact I would have used every asset I have to impose a Naval blockade on Nigeria. So, to me, the minorities were really in the best position to deliver a major strategic advantage to Biafra.
If we had open ports, we would have won the war.  cool

Now, what price am I prepared to pay to have that advantage? Almost anything!

Ndigbo si na[b] isi ala adighi ato n'ebe akporo ya![/b] (I won't translate this one).  cool
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by ChinenyeN(m): 10:57pm On Feb 26, 2012
"Catching" what? What is there to catch?

Noiseless, I don't understand what you're getting at. What "sudden turn"? I guess this means you are unfamiliar with my viewpoints. Well, firstly, for those who have interacted with me, it is not news that I have no desire to share sovereign territory with ND people. It is also not news that I hate Ikwere. So I don't know where you got that "Ngwa join Ikwere" nonsense. In fact I actually find that bullshit insulting.

Secondly, you're really confusing issues. My arguments with Igbo here on NL is independent of this particular topic.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by Onlytruth(m): 10:59pm On Feb 26, 2012
Dede1:

You could be forgiven for seeing future spate of contingencies in Nigeria from the prism of yesteryears. Today’s Nigeria is definitely not Nigeria of 1960 where the common focus was set on a certain ethnic group that seemed to have achieved more than its fair share of accomplishment for a very short period. Everybody assumed consciously or unconsciously that this particular group was out to dominate others. Unfortunately, the January 15, 1996 coup did not help matters either.

Today, the political gauge in Nigeria reads a total different result. Although in certain feudalistic circles, this particularly referenced ethnic group is still viewed as a worthy competitor.

My people say that when a woman is married twice, she can easily discern which of her husbands is better than the other. In addition, my people equally said that a person stung by a bee seems to be afraid of Greenfly.

If Nigeria should disintegrate today, nations shall be formed based on cultural and traditional proximity of ethnicities within a given zone. One of the deciding factors to the formation of a country or nation is numerical strength and ability to organize people into fighting squads to defend natural boundaries or assist neighbors to ward off eminent attacks. Also, there shall be a strategy for territorial expansionism. On both counts, I do believe Republic of Igbo land has the will-power to emerge as a nation.

It is unfortunate you tend to forget both Nigeria and Biafra in 1966 were almost at per baring numerical strength advantage which Biafra was able to stale with strategy. However, it was tactics or lack thereof rather than strategy that saw Biafra retreating from all sectors. By the time the tactics were revamped, the effect of constant retreat has already taken its toll on the fighting spirit of Biafrans.

Again, it is much skewed analogy for one to attempt to juxtapose the instances between Biafra/Nigeria with the condition of wars fought by USA or even Germany. Biafra was not even a country a mouth before the civil war started. It is disingenuous on the part of anybody who seemed to assume that eastern region of Nigeria, which has been politically conned as a result of all Nigerian military installations and depots stationed in northern and western regions of Nigeria, would have the pleasure and comfort to organize a plebiscite seeking the support and opinion of every dimwit or stiff in the region if it should fend off the aggressor at Gerkam and Obollo Afor who had shown  traits to kill, mane, ra.pe, pillage and arson in the name of Allah. For umpteenth time, Biafra was a month old as country and, in fact, an accident of unforeseen contingencies which should not be placed in a silly analogy with USA.

I had tried to avoid the issue of crude oil and other natural resources in Nigeria. When coals, Iron ore and Limestone were the main stay of life wire in eastern region, there was no sense of minority in eastern region. Port Harcourt, Calabar, Enugu, Aba, Umuahia, Owerri, Orlu, Abakiliki, Uyo, Ikot Ekpene, Okigwe, Afam, Eleme, Nsukka, Nakalagu and Afikpo were developed by the government of eastern region with equal commitment. The moment crude oil was struck in Olobiri in 1956, then detractors of eastern region went to work by informing any gull there is a minority in eastern region of Nigeria. It must be recalled that before and earlier part of the Nigeria’s independent, eastern region was also towing southern Cameroon. 

I must inform anybody that Olobiri oil fields that preceded Owaza by few years did not pump more crude oil than Owaza in 1965. Due to the fact there were more offshore crude oil fields in Igbo land than so-called minority, hence 1976 boundary adjustment. Has the discovery of crude oil in minority land or ceding crude oil fields in Igbo land to the so-called minorities uplifted them into majority? I say think folks.

Again, if Nigeria will cease to exist as a country today, which I pray everyday, I must spend the last pint of blood in my body to advocate for the pursuit of Republic of Igbo land. By the same token, I would not mind a nationality with Ibibio, Annag, Ogoni and Okirika/Kalabari.

I only used ONE example of a GREAT strategic military strategy to illustrate my position. Few men can actually think like that because most men are beholden to pride and puff.
I see issues of military and war as a matter of life and death. So, pride has no place in it!
G.H Bush could have gone to war alone and still won. He didn't.
You have to import my analogy to the Biafran scenario because we could have put that war beyond reach by juggling things in ways that would even baffle the enemy.

BTW Dede1 there is an inconsistency within your position about our neighbors. On one side you talk about you preferring and fighting for an Igbo only country; then on the other side you say you would welcome some minorities.
Bros, we have to make measured concrete steps. You either want them or you don't.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by Obiagu1(m): 11:06pm On Feb 26, 2012
Who led the coup is open for debate. Some said Theophilus Danjuma, some said Muritala Mohammed. Who actually led the coup? All I know was that Yakubu Gowon, a Northerner, was already the Army Chief. Was that the highest position in the Army held by a Northerner? Yes. So they did not pick him from nowhere and my mind tells me he pulled the strings from the top. Theophilus Danjuma and Muritala Mohammed were mere foot soldiers.

When it comes to stepping down, I don't know if anyone had ever done that. Ojukwu was already the leader and there was no debate about who should lead. You said you would have stepped down but there was no reason for that except you feel you are not competent or qualified to lead and I believe you wouldn't have stepped down either. There was no precedent to base your judgement on.

How was the minorities not carried along? Was the 2IC not a minority? Probably because he was not an Ijaw man. Every decision taken before the war involved everyone. You can't dispute that.

Why did we lose that war? Maybe you should look into the crash of a plane in Cameroon that was carrying arms to Biafra before the war started.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by Obiagu1(m): 11:15pm On Feb 26, 2012
I will also add that if the only workable condition for a United East is when my people are subjugated, then I will not buy that idea of unity. Everyone has to be fair and we have shown that we, the Igbos, are fair in all our dealings with our neighbours.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by Onlytruth(m): 11:21pm On Feb 26, 2012
Obiagu1:

Who lead the coup is open for debate. Some said Theophilus Danjuma, some said Muritala Mohammed. Who actually lead the coup? All I know was that Yakubu Gowon, a Northerner, was already the Army Chief. Was that the highest position in the Army? Yes. So they did not pick him from nowhere and my mind tells me he pulled the strings from the top. Theophilus Danjuma and Muritala Mohammed were mere foot soldiers.

When it comes to stepping down, I don't know if anyone had ever done that. Ojukwu was [b]already the leader and there was not debate about who should lead. You said you would have stepped down but there was no reason for that except you feel you are not competent or qualified to lead and you I believe you wouldn't have stepped down either. There was no precedent to base your judgement on.[/b]

How was the minorities not carried along? Was the 2IC not a minority? Probably because he was not an Ijaw man. Every decision took before the war involved everyone. You can't dispute that.

Why did we lose that war? Maybe you should look into the crash of a plane in Cameroon that was carrying arms to Biafra before the war started.
My point about Murtala still stands because he could have insisted on another Northerner. Gowon was part of a government that was already overthrown and gone.
His Chief of army post had expired as at then. They didn't have to give him the head of state.

As for leaders stepping low, there are many precedents but the one I love most is that of Jerry Rawlings of Ghana. He did it I believe twice.
If you say that I would not do such thing, then my friend you don't know me at all. lol
I never advocate things I would not do because I'm a strong believer in the Golden rule.

I truly believe that we could have done much much more to win the war. We didn't.
That is why I worry about the Uwazuruike types running around not having the slightest clue of what needs to be done.

BTW I don't necessarily believe that we must fight a war before actualizing Biafra; but it would be foolhardy not to think of war when thinking about seceding from Nigeria.
Again, that is part of why I don't like MASSOB. They may be leading us to hell.  cry
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by Obiagu1(m): 11:23pm On Feb 26, 2012
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by EzeUche(m): 11:25pm On Feb 26, 2012
I think some Igbos need to go to Bayelsa and Rivers state to see how they view the "Core" Igbos. Anyone who believes that there can be unity between the "minorities" and the Igbos are not being very serious with themselves. I cannot speak for the groups that reside in Delta state, but for the groups that live in Rivers and Bayelsa state, the constant specter of Igbo domination keeps many of the people awake at night. Many leaders found in that region would rather be allies with the North, than their closest neighbor. And if you think the younger generation is any different, I think you should think again.

I think the minorities of the Niger Delta need to do more than pay lip service about this so called Niger Delta unity with the Ndigbo, because as you all know, we Igbos will take the brunt of any action, just because of our numerical strength. I would vote no to any united front, because there is too much bad blood among our groups to think about speaking with one voice.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by Onlytruth(m): 11:27pm On Feb 26, 2012
Obiagu1:

I will also add that if the only workable condition for a United East is when my people are subjugated, then I will not buy that idea of unity. Everyone has to fair and we have shown that we, the Igbos, are fair in all our dealings with our neighbours.

Obiagu1 my brother, I would share a private joke (with the whole world now I guess). I once asked my father why he never married a second wife, why he remain monogamous.
He laughed and simply said; "Take a good look at your mother, do you think any man in his right sense would have TWO of her type?".  grin grin grin The man won't live to tell the story.

On this issue, do you REALLY think that any group could subjugate the Igbo in Eastern Nigeria? Is that really how you see Ndigbo? I'm laughing seriously!  shocked shocked grin grin
So, that issue is completely irrelevant. The worst that can happen is that everybody becomes EQUAL in Biafra, which BTW was Biafra's goal as declared in Ahiara Declaration.  cool
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by Onlytruth(m): 11:33pm On Feb 26, 2012
My brothers, I have a meeting to attend. I will be back in about 4 hours to answer more questions.
Much love. cool
Signing off,
Yours truly

Onlytruth. cool cool cool
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by Obiagu1(m): 11:35pm On Feb 26, 2012
Onlytruth:

Obiagu1 my brother, I would share a private joke (with the whole world now I guess). I once asked my father why he never married a second wife, why he remain monogamous.
He laughed and simply said; "Take a good look at your mother, do you think any man in his right sense would have TWO of her type?".  grin grin grin The man won't live to tell the story.

On this issue, do you REALLY think that any group could subjugate the Igbo in Eastern Nigeria? Is that really how you see Ndigbo? I'm laughing seriously!  shocked shocked grin grin
So, that issue is completely irrelevant. The worst that can happen is that everybody become EQUAL in Biafra, which BTW was Biafra's goal as declared in Ahiara Declaration.  cool

You keep talking about relinquishing power, why is that? Why is it the only condition for success when the problem involved everyone in the East? I reject such East when we are not allowed to rule. You mentioned Rawlings of Ghana, when did he relinquish power when he was already a leader? I didn't know about that. Probably you should add Obasanjo and Abdulsalami Abubakar as people that relinquished power too "after an election".  undecided

Don't say we can't be subjugated because we are, already, in Nigeria.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by alex14(m): 11:54pm On Feb 26, 2012
I fervently believe that Biafra lost the war because it lacked the most neded international support from a powerful foreign ally,,,,FACT!

That aside, I don't think we should disregard the reasonable ones among our non-Igbo neighbors,,,,the likes of Asari, Aniko Briggs. Like somebody rightly said, the

Clarks are getting old and would pass on soon. I believe the current generation of these minorities are seeing what nigeria has turned out to be and how they're

being exploited, so I will not "toss" them out. However, the KEY THEME going forward should be CAUTION on our path.

So going forward, we must carry out wide consultation with all of them with "clear and open" terms that is acceptable to ALL. We must make them understand

what is at stake and never stop engaging them, because quite frankly, if we (Igbo) do not engage them, our enemies will take advantage. I also agree with Onlytruth when he said MASSOB is not being strategic. The future in these non-Igbo areas of the east belongs to the Asari's and other smart folks from there and even to the Beafs of the midwest cool.

Then again, I have to reiterate the KEY word here : CAUTION as we go forward.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by Obiagu1(m): 12:31am On Feb 27, 2012
alex_101:

I fervently believe that Biafra lost the war because it lacked the most neded international support from a powerful foreign ally,,,,FACT!

That aside, I don't think we should disregard the reasonable ones among our non-Igbo neighbors,,,,the likes of Asari, Aniko Briggs. Like somebody rightly said, the Clarks are getting old and would pass on soon. I believe the current generation of these minorities are seeing what nigeria has turned out to be and how they're being exploited, so I will not "toss" them out. However, the KEY THEME going forward should be CAUTION on our path.

So going forward, we must carry out wide consultation with all of them with "clear and open" terms that is acceptable to ALL. We must make them understand

what is at stake and never stop engaging them, because quite frankly, if we (Igbo) do not engage them, our enemies will take advantage. I also agree with Onlytruth when he said MASSOB is not being strategic. The future in these non-Igbo areas of the east belongs to the Asari's and other smart folks from there and even to the Beafs of the midwest cool.

Then again, I have to reiterate the KEY word here : CAUTION as we go forward.

I will not toss anyone out but like EzeUche said, probably take a trip to Bayelsa and Rivers and ascertain the feeling and general opinion there.

I will always treat such statements from Annkio Briggs and Asari with utmost caution. No one is going to use us as a step to achieve their own ends. Was it secession of the East or the secession of Niger Delta she was talking about?

As for MASSOB not being strategic, what else should they do? Force the non-Igbos to join MASSOB (Gods knows how many advances MASSOB have made towards a united front) or dissolve MASSOB and join MEND as OnlyTruth will like us believe?
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by noiseless: 12:45am On Feb 27, 2012
Thanks to all our brothers who are commenting on the topic with openness about their concerns, at least our neighbours will see that we are being very open as it has always been in our nature,we don't shy away from questions or choose the two face way,it has been very unfortunate that many judged us base on what the usual suspects told them about us. And believe what our brothers are actually saying to our niger delta neighbours is, first of all,that what they are proposing is really good but there has to be more and more consultations where both sides could talk and talk to know what's there for everone and to really listen to one another. So it will be helpful if they start by making contacts and sending and receiving deligates to both sides to start some level of discussions,infact i will be surprised if there is nothing of sort which is in progress already as there is no law which forbids any alliance of in the country.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by ChinenyeN(m): 1:21am On Feb 27, 2012
Noiseless, do you understand my position now? Is there anything else you want to now question?
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by ChinenyeN(m): 1:42am On Feb 27, 2012
Thank you, EzeUche. Tell them. They should go and visit Rivers and Bayelsa to see that the "Briggs' and Dokubo's" are a minority. The "Clark's" are not "dying off", and it annoys me to hear anywhere that an Igbo is looking upon this propaganda with such optimistic eyes. I do not want to see a repeat of Biafra, as much as the next guy, and I believe that the only way to prevent a repeat is to exercise caution and criticism. Such was not exercised in the Biafran incident, and see where we are. ND lip service at this point in history is not welcomed. Simple.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by Dede1(m): 1:51am On Feb 27, 2012
Onlytruth:

I only used ONE example of a GREAT strategic military strategy to illustrate my position. Few men can actually think like that because most men are beholden to pride and puff.
I see issues of military and war as a matter of life and death. So, pride has no place in it!
G.H Bush could have gone to war alone and still won. He didn't.
You have to import my analogy to the Biafran scenario because we could have put that war beyond reach by juggling things in ways that would even baffle the enemy.

BTW Dede1 there is an inconsistency within your position about our neighbors. On one side you talk about you preferring and fighting for an Igbo only country; then on the other side you say you would welcome some minorities.
Bros, we have to make measured concrete steps. You either want them or you don't.

Bros, Onlytruth of the world, I have maintained a stream of consistency in my approach to possible disintegration of Nigeria. Republic of Igbo land is and will remain my first choice. However, due to geographical terrain and proximity in culture and tradition Ndigbo share with certain ethnic groups in the area coupled with efforts of certain Ibibio, Annang, Ogoni and Okirika/Kalabari during the Nigeria/Biafra war, I would not mind to share nationality with them. I have said that Nigaria/Biafra war remains the amalgam of my political philosophy. If accepting to share nationality with those mentioned is a crime, I am ready to plead guilty if indicated.

Biafra was defeated in order to produce present day Nigeria, a country without progressive future. At the cradle of Biafra, tactic was more in the mind of a Biafran than strategy. The foreign powers which made sure Biafra was defeated did so not because of love they had for Nigeria but what they perceived Biafra would become.

I am quite sure if Biafra was allowed to exist for one (1) year, the strategy you seem to reference in your posts would have been in the cards.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by alex14(m): 2:08am On Feb 27, 2012
Obiagu1:

I will not toss anyone out but like EzeUche said, probably take a trip to Bayelsa and Rivers and ascertain the feeling and general opinion there.

I will always treat such statements from Annkio Briggs and Asari with utmost caution. No one is going to use us as a step to achieve their own ends. Was it secession of the East or the secession of Niger Delta she was talking about?
As for MASSOB not being strategic, what else should they do? Force the non-Igbos to join MASSOB (Gods knows how many advances MASSOB have made towards a united front) or dissolve MASSOB and join MEND as OnlyTruth will like us believe?

@ the bolded, that's why it will be in our interest to at least find out exactly what they're getting at and see the area(s) of co-operation, if need be. I'm also not ruling out what Ezeuche has raised, that is why I'd emphasize on the importance of caution and wide consultation. I stated that MASSOB is not being strategic (based on Uwazuruike's outburst) by making it seem like it would be Igbo vs others again. Finally, I share your sentiments about no group going to use us to achieve their aim,,,,,I believe we've had >42yrs of history to guide us in that regard.

I also believe the most vital test (post civil war) to the relationship between Ndigbo and their non-Igbo easterners will be in the year 2015. This year will be a very decisive one for us in terms of how we go forward. Just my opinion.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by alex14(m): 2:22am On Feb 27, 2012
For the records, I'm in no way advocating for forming a union with these folks. I'm only interested in finding areas of co-operation that will be beneficial to Ndigbo and non-Igbo easterners, as long as it will lead to the disintegration of the dungeon called nigeria, after which everybody will decide with OPEN EYES on what terms to part ways, SIMPLE! I don't want another mini nigeria to hunt Igbo generation unborn
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by ChinenyeN(m): 3:58am On Feb 27, 2012
Igbo should remain mindful of advances made by negligible territories and careful with the way it associates with the negligible territories. In fact, I like the way Obiagu put it (though soft words, in my opinion); treat statements made by the "Briggs' and Dokubo's" with utmost caution.

alex_101:

I also believe the most vital test (post civil war) to the relationship between Ndigbo and their non-Igbo easterners will be in the year 2015. This year will be a very decisive one for us in terms of how we go forward. Just my opinion.
If you don't mind me asking, what exactly are you envisioning, when you think about 2015? Can you expand upon the decisiveness of it all, as you see it, of course?
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by Onlytruth(m): 5:52am On Feb 27, 2012
Ok, I'm back! grin cool
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by Onlytruth(m): 6:08am On Feb 27, 2012
Dede1:

Bros, Onlytruth of the world, I have maintained a stream of consistency in my approach to possible disintegration of Nigeria. Republic of Igbo land is and will remain my first choice. However, due to geographical terrain and proximity in culture and tradition Ndigbo share with certain ethnic groups in the area coupled with efforts of certain Ibibio, Annang, Ogoni and Okirika/Kalabari during the Nigeria/Biafra war, I would not mind to share nationality with them. I have said that Nigaria/Biafra war remains the amalgam of my political philosophy. If accepting to share nationality with those mentioned is a crime, I am ready to plead guilty if indicated.

Biafra was defeated in order to produce present day Nigeria, a country without progressive future. At the cradle of Biafra, tactic was more in the mind of a Biafran than strategy. The foreign powers which made sure Biafra was defeated did so not because of love they had for Nigeria but what they perceived Biafra would become.

I am quite sure if Biafra was allowed to exist for one (1) year, the strategy you seem to reference in your posts would have been in the cards.

I'm happy that you at least acknowledge the facts of history and stated them as they are.
What is unfair and even self defeating, is to talk about Biafran war and secession effort as a purely Igbo affair. It wasn't. The same applies to how we tend to present Ojukwu (though I blame that partly on his post war roles) as Igbo leader. Fact is that he was the BIAFRAN/Eastern Nigerian leader. I remember an Igbo song "Ojukwu bu eze Biafra" which praised his exploits during the war.

When we had our memorial service here in the US for Ojukwu, every state of the former Eastern region(plus Anioma) PAID to sponsor it. One of the non-Igbo ones (Akwa Ibom) even paid the highest amount.
That is the reality of Biafra. Republic of Igboland has never existed; Biafra did. So, I am very determined not to skew history and facts of our secession "agenda" in Nigeria.
For me, Eastern Nigeria remains one until someone opts out.
If the Fulani who don't even marry Hausa women except very rich and powerful Hausa families can still keep the North one, I believe that we Igbo can keep the East one. I would consider it a failure if we don't do that. We cannot, and should NEVER accept a divided Eastern Nigeria because it would be strategically dangerous to our survival.

So, we keep the East united, BY ALL MEANS NECESSARY.  cool
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by Onlytruth(m): 6:22am On Feb 27, 2012
The other mistake I see here is that folks tend to equate SS with Ijaw (Bayelsa and Rivers). Fact remains that "SS" contains other tribes including Ibibio, Ogoni, Annang, Ekoi, Igbo and others including Beaf's Isoko.
When Joseph Tarka was doing his middle belt thing, the Hausa/Fulani never threw up hands and ceded the whole Northern minorities to his Benue people. They "fought" hard politically to contain Tarka and kept the North united. That is why the Northern minorities have produced more Nigerian leaders than even the Hausa. Can anyone now say that the Northern minorities are lording it over the Hausa? I don't think so!
There is no doubt about who is in charge in the North.
I don't think that anyone in Nigeria doubts the source of Jonathan's power. Only a fool would think his power is from "SS".

@Obiagu1, this is the point I'm making.
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by Obiagu1(m): 6:36am On Feb 27, 2012
I've never been against One East but the idea that one has to give up power to keep them happy is completely unacceptable to me. It's even annoying. You have yet to give me a valid occasion where such happened and as I stated, there was no precedent for Biafran leadership to base their planning on and there was no leadership problem in the East.

As for Northern minorities ruling more than Hausa/Fulani, they got there as a result of their courage and risk to their lives. Name one Northern minority that was democratically elected to lead the North or Nigeria?
Re: Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! by Onlytruth(m): 6:41am On Feb 27, 2012
Obiagu1:

MASSOB has not been making sense. That is why elite Igbo have stayed away from it. How do you expect Ijaw or another minority group to respect and join MASSOB? Yes, MASSOB can dissolve and join MEND if they share the same goal of secession, what is wrong with that?
Honestly, all the militant groups in the North has NEVER been tied to one ethnic group in the North. Even MEND has managed to bring in some non-Ijaw into it, a case in point is Henry Okah (an Urhobo man). So, why should MASSOB focus on Igbo only?
As far as I'm concerned, they started failing when they started making it an Igbo only movement (for whatever reason!). In certain struggles, diversity is priceless.

I'm not saying that we need to grovel and beg anyone to join us in the struggle for emancipation; I'm saying that we have been going about it the wrong way.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

APC, Presidency In Fresh Plot To Set Up Atiku – PDP NWC / Anambra Explosion: President Buhari Reacts, Sympathises With Victims / Soldiers Kill Police Inspector In Adamawa; Gov Urges Calm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.