Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,737 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:22 PM

Strong, Beautiful And Affordable Homes - Properties (33) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Strong, Beautiful And Affordable Homes (156682 Views)

Affordable Homes At Porsche Terraces And Apartments, For Sale in Abuja / Fgn 10,000 Affordable Homes Scheme / The Roll Out Of 10,000 Affordable Homes Scheme Live On NTA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Strong, Beautiful And Affordable Homes by brabus(m): 1:06pm On Aug 28, 2012
Here's your quote in a layman term.

PHASE 1 - SETTING OUT/FOUNDATION
UPTO GROUND FLOOR SLAB

Substructure (All Provisional)

A - Site Clearing - N40,500.00 (for one plot is too much)
B - Excavation 1 - N17,400.00
C - Setting Out / Supervision Fee - N50,000.00 (can't say much about this, but its too much for a 95sqm shop, sorry House)
D - Excavation 2 - N9,600.00 (add B and E below)
E - Excavation 3 including BACKFILLING, removal of surplus, level and *compact and treatment to faces of excavation all around ground beam. - N28,800.00
F - Level and compact bottom of excavation - N1,700.00 (we can gloss over this)
G - Laterite or Filling Sand - N85,200.00 (we can as well gloss over this if it includes labour cost)
H - Imported laterite filling to make up levels well compacted. - N22,200.00

CONCRETE WORK

I - Blinding under ground beam -N15,000.00 (Granite, Sharp sand and cement inclusive)
J - Casting - N448,000.00 (what amount goes into granite, sharp sand, cement and labour. A typical breakdown could be 20 tonnes granite, 50 tonnes sharp sand, 80 bags of cement, and N100k for caster even though I won't pay as much)
K - 8in thick German floor slab - N504,000.00 (what's the breakdown?)
L - Steps - N28,000.00 ()

Iron Rods

M - Various sizes from 10mm - 25mm iron rod - N600,000.00 (How many tons of 10mm, 12mm, 16mm, 20mm etc? What percentage goes into materials and labour cost?)

Pillars

N - Various sizes from 10mm - 20mm iron rod - N125,000.00

Raft floor slab

O - 10mm - 12mm iron rods - N450,000.00

Carpentary Work or Formwork

P - Planks to cover the sides of Ground Beam - N134,000.00
Q - Planks to cover the edge of raft slab - N12,300.00 (what happens to the planks used in P above?)
R - Planks to cover the edge of step risers - N3,000.00
S - Raking string of steps 300mm wide 3m 900.00

Damp proof membrane
T - Nylon, Tarpaulin or PVC Sheet to cover the fdn - N90,000.00 (what does that protect if the groundwater level is high?)

Total For Phase 1 - N2,665,600.00 (the overall cost isn't bad but it can be better managed)
Re: Strong, Beautiful And Affordable Homes by bugmenot: 2:14pm On Aug 28, 2012
Thanks for the comments, Brabus & Spyder. Below is the much I know, hopefully it will be enough for you guys to give me some good advice.

1) How deep is the foundation?
[color=#990000] Foundation will be 1 metre deep, it will be a three board raft foundation.

2) What is the groundwater table?
I no sabi o.... The much I know is that it's dry land. With all the recent rains in that area, it's remained dry. That not withstanding, the soil is the typical sandy soil found in that area.

3) What kind of soil characteristics?
I don't have technical details, but I know for sure that the soil is sandy.

4) What is the depth of the foundation?
see (1) above

5) What is the expected load?
The foundation is for a 4 B/R duplex.

6) Was that the geotechnical design recommendation or presumed bearing resistance?
Again, I no sabi o...

[/color]
Re: Strong, Beautiful And Affordable Homes by bugmenot: 2:46pm On Aug 28, 2012
brabus:
Damp proof membrane
T - Nylon, Tarpaulin or PVC Sheet to cover the fdn - N90,000.00 (what does that protect if the groundwater level is high?)

Brabus, If I understand your question, I'm guessing that there will be need for sand-filling. As far as I know, that is not the case. Does it make sense to build without sand-filling in places where the groundwater level is high? What's the best material for the Damp Proof Membrane?

Thanks again for your professional opinion, please keep the comments coming.
Re: Strong, Beautiful And Affordable Homes by brabus(m): 3:12pm On Aug 28, 2012
bugmenot: Thanks for the comments, Brabus & Spyder. Below is the much I know, hopefully it will be enough for you guys to give me some good advice.

1) How deep is the foundation?
[color=#990000] Foundation will be 1 metre deep, it will be a three board raft foundation.

2) What is the groundwater table?
I no sabi o.... The much I know is that it's dry land. With all the recent rains in that area, it's remained dry. That not withstanding, the soil is the typical sandy soil found in that area.

3) What kind of soil characteristics?
I don't have technical details, but I know for sure that the soil is sandy.

4) What is the depth of the foundation?
see (1) above

5) What is the expected load?
The foundation is for a 4 B/R duplex.

6) Was that the geotechnical design recommendation or presumed bearing resistance?
Again, I no sabi o...

[/color]

Which part of Ajah is this? Ikota, Badore, Langbasa, Sangotedo, Ogombo, Abraham Adesanya, Lakowe or where?

From your quote, I can deduce what your builder is trying to do which is a common thing in Ajah axis. Take off the silt sandy soil, introduce engineered soil, compact, backfill etc. Its nothing new. What I don't like here are the technicalities. He should keep that to himself or save it for next Federal Government project and speak to us in a layman term.

I've seen worse in Okokomaiko area. 4 boards raft and even 1.8m fdn depth or more in some areas. And still the cost is not out of this world.

See pic below.

NOTE: 4 coaches block work after 4 board raft and 8in thick slab.
Re: Strong, Beautiful And Affordable Homes by brabus(m): 3:22pm On Aug 28, 2012
Pic

Re: Strong, Beautiful And Affordable Homes by brabus(m): 3:51pm On Aug 28, 2012
Double post
Re: Strong, Beautiful And Affordable Homes by spyder880(m): 3:59pm On Aug 28, 2012
^^^
I dey gbadun the gistings here, Brabus, carry go jare. Nothing beats local knowledge.
Re: Strong, Beautiful And Affordable Homes by bugmenot: 4:00pm On Aug 28, 2012
brabus:

See pic below.

NOTE: 4 coaches block work after 4 board raft and 8in thick slab.

It's in Ogombo.

I'm with you on the technical lingo - I honestly don't understand it all, I've asked the guy for a breakdown of the materials needed for each line item. I'll share that with you guys when I get it.

?? [s]I don't see the picture you mentioned in your post...[/s] [I now see it]

One other question - what do you guys think about "chaining"? For the same building, someone suggested doing a one-board raft, and supporting it with chaining which he says will prevent the building from cracking. Here again, my understanding is limited to that of a layman. :-)
Re: Strong, Beautiful And Affordable Homes by spyder880(m): 4:04pm On Aug 28, 2012
bugmenot:

It's in Ogombo.

I'm with you on the technical lingo - I honestly don't understand it all, I've asked the guy for a breakdown of the materials needed for each line item. I'll share that with you guys when I get it.

?? I don't see the picture you mentioned in your post...

One other question - what do you guys think about "chaining"? For the same building, someone suggested doing a one-board raft, and supporting it with chaining? Here again, my understanding is limited to that of a layman. :-)

Chaining is a term used to denote a method of linking all beams in a particular level with a reinforced concrete mix. All the rods are supposed to link up with each other in a chain-like arrangement.
Re: Strong, Beautiful And Affordable Homes by bugmenot: 4:08pm On Aug 28, 2012
spyder880:

Chaining is a term used to denote a method of linking all beams in a particular level with a reinforced concrete mix. All the rods are supposed to link up with each other in a chin like arrangement.

Thanks Spyder.

What is the advantage? I hear it prevents cracking... Does it aid the building in settling into the soil in any way? The soil here is sandy, and my (layman) guess is that the building will over time adjust and readjust itself into the soil.
Re: Strong, Beautiful And Affordable Homes by brabus(m): 4:42pm On Aug 28, 2012
bugmenot:

Brabus, If I understand your question, I'm guessing that there will be need for sand-filling. As far as I know, that is not the case. Does it make sense to build without sand-filling in places where the groundwater level is high? What's the best material for the Damp Proof Membrane?

Thanks again for your professional opinion, please keep the comments coming.

You're not getting me. Sandfilling is OK and the Damproof Membrane but that doesn't solve anything if you don't keep water away from your foundation.
You've only solved 50% of the problem.

That's why I say, Pitch the foundation and drain the water outside with a gentle slope. Lo ba tan!
Re: Strong, Beautiful And Affordable Homes by bugmenot: 4:50pm On Aug 28, 2012
brabus:

You're not getting me. Sandfilling is OK and the Damproof Membrane but that doesn't solve anything if you don't keep water away from your foundation.
You've only solved 50% of the problem.

That's why I say, Pitch the foundation and drain the water outside with a gentle slope. Lo ba tan!

Ah... Now I get your point, this is the reason why I'm doing this consultation. I can now go back and ask questions.

Greatly appreciated.
Re: Strong, Beautiful And Affordable Homes by brabus(m): 5:07pm On Aug 28, 2012
bugmenot:

Thanks Spyder.

What is the advantage? I hear it prevents cracking... Does it aid the building in settling into the soil in any way? The soil here is sandy, and my (layman) guess is that the building will over time adjust and readjust itself into the soil.

Chaining is good and highly recommended but there's more.

If I were you I won't bother much on cracks for now. I'll think of settlement (especially differential settlement) when the ground begin to compact beneath the fdn or subsidence in the future when the loads are increasing.

My worries would be on instability of uneven grounds. 3 boards raft isn't enough guarantee. A thorough job needs to be done to prevent differential settlement.

Also, build light. Reduce the load. 6 inches block won't be a bad idea. At least oyinbo man dey build with plank.
Re: Strong, Beautiful And Affordable Homes by bugmenot: 6:29pm On Aug 28, 2012

Well said, my brother - oyibo people truly do live in wooden houses. At the most they build the frame and slabs with concrete, and partition the space with wood. Most of their houses remain in existence beyond 100 years. I agree with people who say that we overbuild houses especially as they are not expected to exist forever. Excluding monuments like palaces, I don't know of any hundred year building in Nigeria that is still appreciated (style-wise at least). Even those are often rebuilt to keep up with evolving standards and designs. [s]If I found out that my landlord was renting a 100 year old building to me, I will move.[/s]

About your concerns on settlement, I would think that the structural engineer should account for those in his drawings. My understanding is that when they do not conduct the soil tests themselves, they "copy" what others do in that area. Is there any piece I'm missing?

The guy who suggested chaining did not see the structural drawing, I spoke with him before work was started on the drawing.
Re: Strong, Beautiful And Affordable Homes by bodeface: 8:24pm On Aug 28, 2012
Great Nairalanders Builders (sorry to jump in),

Please I needed proffessional advice in closing / putting a slab over a void over the sitting room in the duplex I am putting together, the positioning and the size of the void has defeat it purpose and evrybody seeing the void has been complaining about the void not decent.

The size of the void is 1.8m X 1.6m, during the iron structure for the slab (decking) there were beams surrounding the void, a serious iron weaving was done around the void, hence we intended to support the slab (decking) around the void, break up the slab till we reach the iron beams / iron weaving around the void, then using combination of 16mm and 12mm rod attached to the exposed iron rods make iron weaving / structure over the void and slab (deck) it out.

What is your professional opinion on this, do you think this will come out right with this measure we want to take if not please share your opinion on what you think will be the best approach to close up the void as we just have to find solution as the owner wants.

Thanking you for all the advice in advance.

Bodeface
Re: Strong, Beautiful And Affordable Homes by spyder880(m): 9:45pm On Aug 28, 2012
bodeface: Great Nairalanders Builders (sorry to jump in),

Please I needed proffessional advice in closing / putting a slab over a void over the sitting room in the duplex I am putting together, the positioning and the size of the void has defeat it purpose and evrybody seeing the void has been complaining about the void not decent.

The size of the void is 1.8m X 1.6m, during the iron structure for the slab (decking) there were beams surrounding the void, a serious iron weaving was done around the void, hence we intended to support the slab (decking) around the void, break up the slab till we reach the iron beams / iron weaving around the void, then using combination of 16mm and 12mm rod attached to the exposed iron rods make iron weaving / structure over the void and slab (deck) it out.

What is your professional opinion on this, do you think this will come out right with this measure we want to take if not please share your opinion on what you think will be the best approach to close up the void as we just have to find solution as the owner wants.

Thanking you for all the advice in advance.

Bodeface

1.8m X1.6m seems like a small void, this is possible but before we continue with the advice, a physical inspection by a competent professional is most recommended. I fear that the outer walls on the beams may have to go down before you can do a good job linking the rods with the beams.
Re: Strong, Beautiful And Affordable Homes by bodeface: 11:03pm On Aug 28, 2012
@ spyder880

Thanks for replying to my enquiries, like you have said the structural irons will be exposed all around the void and the iron structure properly linked and weaved over the void, then casted, I just want to be sure this is a normal practice but must be done properly.
Thanking you

Appreciate more coments and advice
Re: Strong, Beautiful And Affordable Homes by brabus(m): 4:54am On Aug 29, 2012
spyder880:

1.8m X1.6m seems like a small void, this is possible but before we continue with the advice, a physical inspection by a competent professional is most recommended. I fear that the outer walls on the beams may have to go down before you can do a good job linking the rods with the beams.

@bodeface, na the koko be dat. You need structural integrity assessment.

We're not magicians to know what you've done, perhaps a pic of the void and the load bearing beams might help.

But if you ask me to choose btw decent and safe, I'll choose the latter.
Re: Strong, Beautiful And Affordable Homes by shollymata(m): 7:30am On Sep 09, 2012
@Spyder/Brabus: Great builders, i have loved this thread even though i just saw it. The way you guys have provided answers has been very enriching, thanks. @Spyder - I did not really understand the color chart you posted. Is it a chart of possible roof colors only, or a chart of how to match a roof color to a house color? I also want to find out if a black stone coated roofing material (which i love so much and want to use) will mean more heat in my home in the long run. Secondly, whats the major difference in terms of reliability (leaks etc) and durability between a long span aluminium roof and a stone coated roof material and which would you recommend based on your experiences.
Re: Strong, Beautiful And Affordable Homes by spyder880(m): 10:05am On Sep 09, 2012
shollymata: @Spyder/Brabus: Great builders, i have loved this thread even though i just saw it. The way you guys have provided answers has been very enriching, thanks. @Spyder - I did not really understand the color chart you posted. Is it a chart of possible roof colors only, or a chart of how to match a roof color to a house color? I also want to find out if a black stone coated roofing material (which i love so much and want to use) will mean more heat in my home in the long run. Secondly, whats the major difference in terms of reliability (leaks etc) and durability between a long span aluminium roof and a stone coated roof material and which would you recommend based on your experiences.

Welcome, the colour chart I posted was to expose the various colour available to an intending home owner from which he can choose from. Some of us has not seen so many colours and they think the only ones in the market are the normal brown, black and gray. I wanted to show that other colours exist from which they can make informed choices. A way to stimulate the interest of my clients and create a hunger for adventure in them.

Matching a roof colour to a house paint colour is very important, and thats why I went out and got those house pictures to show the different effect of shades on roofs and compare which can give a better match in the finish. I have worked with clients who later regretted their roof colour just because it will not blend very well with their paint colour of choice. Its all about the taste and preferences of the owner. Of what satisfaction will it be if you cannot love your house so much as to show it to friends and family with pride, and they will cherish your taste.

The question of heat transmission into the house from the roof is an unfinished experiment of which I am still working on. Scientifically, darker colours transmit more heat to the objects under it because darker colours absorb more heat. Lighter colours, especially shiny objects deflect heat because it tends to throw out the heat of the sun. That is the assumption why some engineers argue that darker roofs will cause higher temperatures in the house. I always like to ask them, what about the ceiling choice, POP, ventilation (larger windows of which I love to use most) and other factors like the type of block. How does it add or remove from the subject matter? Like I mentioned earlier, the jury is still out on thatgrin

On the reliability of long span aluminium to stone coated tiles, I want to state here that there are sizes in everything. Aluminium roofs has sizes (thickness) there is the 0.3, 0.35, 0.45, 0.55. These sizes has a lot to do with durability, and cost too. Some stone coated roofing sheet manufacturers give up to 50 years guarantee to customers for their products, but we cannot be so sure now since the technology of stone coated step tiles roof is very new here. (Less than 10 years if I am correct)

In conclusion I will recommend the stone coated step tiles sheets for its beauty and elegance, its also heavy and so tends to be sound proof with loud rains and other external noise polutants. Ask me why I didnt use it in my own house, the ego, owo, kudi and okpoho variance factor comparisons of the equation grin grin grin

Happy Sunday my people, please ensure that you enjoy yourself thoroughly, you deserve it.

1 Like

Re: Strong, Beautiful And Affordable Homes by shollymata(m): 5:45pm On Sep 10, 2012
@Spyder: You are the bomb.......Thanks a lot.
Re: Strong, Beautiful And Affordable Homes by oladele007: 6:19pm On Sep 18, 2012
Oga Spyder nothing is happen here ooo, whatz up? students are waiting for u
Re: Strong, Beautiful And Affordable Homes by spyder880(m): 8:24pm On Sep 18, 2012
oladele007: Oga Spyder nothing is happen here ooo, whatz up? students are waiting for u

My brother, we shall soon commence the parapet and then roofing of this house. I am supposed to have a talk with the landlord tomorrow.
Re: Strong, Beautiful And Affordable Homes by shollymata(m): 7:00am On Sep 26, 2012
@Spyder: Talking about Parapet, what is the estimated material requirement for parapet construction for a house with roof size of about 12m X 23m? I am also thinking that some wood for form work can be gotten from the materials used for decking. Please advise.
Re: Strong, Beautiful And Affordable Homes by Deebabe: 10:35pm On Oct 07, 2012
Hello everyone.... Guessing the rains have slowed down our projects as the thread hasnt been as bubbly?when I first appeared here, I was a kindergarten student in building, now, am in primary school....... My hussy and I started our project, ( four flats of 3bed) and we first spent about 500k to fill the ground, 1.5m for raft foundation, 650k to fill the raft, 1m for German floor.... Then we used 7,500 blocks for block setting to decking (is this reasonable? We used 6000 blocks tolintel and 1,500 from lintel to decking). That was @ a cost of 2.1m. Lintel and pillar set us back by about 950k. Now we r @ decking and the developer is quoting 2.9m. Please help critique our spend to date, I can provide breakdown if necessary, but tell us if we should start looking for a new developer?
Note project is in sangotedo, lekki and on swampy land.
Re: Strong, Beautiful And Affordable Homes by Junapril(m): 11:09pm On Oct 07, 2012
@spyder and everyone in the house, have you ever considered Our customised concrete product system which is suitable for Driveways, Walkways, Path, Patios & Pool decks; it provides a strong and durable surface that is virtually maintenance free and will last years to come. Unlike Tarmac/Asphalt, Interlocking Paving Stones or Gravel, CREATIVE PAVING will neither sink, spread nor harbour weeds. Due to the protective sealer over the concrete no dirt or stain can penetrate and they will simply wash away.
ADVANTAGES OF OUR PRODUCT:
•Unlimited design options, can be shaped, imprinted, coloured and textured to achieve almost any look imaginable.
•Beautiful, long-lasting and stable
•Will not spread or sink
•Will not harbour weeds
•Oil and stain resistant
•Adds value to any property
We give exceptional landscape designs and execution with our unique concrete flooring. pls find attached some of our past jobs
Please call Tope :08029522058
Email:junaprilsolutions@gmail.com
Junapril: It comes with a thickness of 5-6inches, with reinforcement and the colour adners are all imported with the sealant that gives a shining and protective surface.Price is 6,000/m2 all materials and labour inclusive (Lagos only) Transportation would be considered for a differenct location.
It might just be afffordable to some selected few.
Beautiful concrete works that shows class in your home even to the Landscaping

Re: Strong, Beautiful And Affordable Homes by spyder880(m): 11:16pm On Oct 07, 2012
Junapril: @spyder and everyone in the house, have you ever considered Our cusomised concrete product system which is suitable for Driveways, Walkways, Path, Patios & Pool decks; it provides a strong and durable surface that is virtually maintenance free and will last years to come. Unlike Tarmac/Asphalt, Interlocking Paving Stones or Gravel, CREATIVE PAVING will neither sink, spread nor harbour weeds. Due to the protective sealer over the concrete no dirt or stain can penetrate and they will simply wash away.
ADVANTAGES OF OUR PRODUCT:
•Unlimited design options, can be shaped, imprinted, coloured and textured to achieve almost any look imaginable.
•Beautiful, long-lasting and stable
•Will not spread or sink
•Will not harbour weeds
•Oil and stain resistant
•Adds value to any property
We give exceptional landscape designs and execution with our unique concrete flooring. pls find attached some of our past jobs
Please call Tope :08029522058

Welcome, please what is the cost per square meter, materials and installation.
Re: Strong, Beautiful And Affordable Homes by spyder880(m): 11:17pm On Oct 07, 2012
Deebabe: Hello everyone.... Guessing the rains have slowed down our projects as the thread hasnt been as bubbly?when I first appeared here, I was a kindergarten student in building, now, am in primary school....... My hussy and I started our project, ( four flats of 3bed) and we first spent about 500k to fill the ground, 1.5m for raft foundation, 650k to fill the raft, 1m for German floor.... Then we used 7,500 blocks for block setting to decking (is this reasonable? We used 6000 blocks tolintel and 1,500 from lintel to decking). That was @ a cost of 2.1m. Lintel and pillar set us back by about 950k. Now we r @ decking and the developer is quoting 2.9m. Please help critique our spend to date, I can provide breakdown if necessary, but tell us if we should start looking for a new developer?
Note project is in sangotedo, lekki and on swampy land.

What size is this deck, is this a duplex or block of flats?
Re: Strong, Beautiful And Affordable Homes by Junapril(m): 12:02am On Oct 08, 2012
It comes with a thickness of 5-6inches, with reinforcement and the colour adners are all imported with the sealant that gives a shining and protective surface.Price is 6,000/m2 all materials and labour inclusive (Lagos only) Transportation would be considered for a differenct location.
It might just be afffordable to some selected few.
spyder880:

Welcome, please what is the cost per square meter, materials and installation.
Re: Strong, Beautiful And Affordable Homes by Deebabe: 10:51pm On Oct 08, 2012
its a block of 4 flats of 3 bedrooms. 2 up and 2 down
Re: Strong, Beautiful And Affordable Homes by spyder880(m): 10:54pm On Oct 08, 2012
Deebabe: its a block of 4 flats of 3 bedrooms. 2 up and 2 down

Then the price sounds good to me.
Re: Strong, Beautiful And Affordable Homes by Humanbeans(m): 10:22am On Oct 09, 2012
Hey spyder, great work you are doing here, pls when will you open your Lagos office. This is no joke, we really need you in Lagos. Just put that as one of your expansion plans. I can be reached va oayorinde at gmail dot com

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (Reply)

Cost Of Building A 5 Bedroom Bungalow In Benin-city. / How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing / New Dimension To Nigerian Architecture (construction Of 4 Bedroom Twin Duplex)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.