Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,040 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:30 AM

Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk - Health (2452) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk (8142398 Views)

Birth Defects: Are You Pregnant Or Planning To? What You Need To Know! (pics) / Can I Still Get Pregnant Or Do I Remove The Fibroid / Revealed: The Secret Fertility System That Cures Infertility & Get You Pregnant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2449) (2450) (2451) (2452) (2453) (2454) (2455) ... (6955) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by SisiNini(f): 9:23am On Oct 20, 2016
enque:

It's my birthday today, please remember me in your prayers.

May God bless us all.... #TeamDecemberForSupernaturalDelivery

Happy Birthday enque and Emerald22... May you experience more of God's blessings and love... Amen...

1 Like

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by tatacherie: 9:23am On Oct 20, 2016
@ enque & Emerald22 happy birthday 2 u.Godbless ur new age.

1 Like

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by iomoge2(f): 9:28am On Oct 20, 2016
talltosyne:
Crochet
Which kinky dis u want to use? U can try supreme, it's always fine. D one I did with noble kinky no last at all. Or if u can get Marley hair, a bit costly but u 'll enjoy it well

This supreme look like bae. Will last long.
And cheaper too baaaa. grin

Care 4 Marley will be 10 10. So let someone start work first.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by iomoge2(f): 9:29am On Oct 20, 2016
Dunni29:

She is too young for this method. Palm oils, sugars, honey and co are not recommended for children below 1 year

Wao...
Thanks 4 this
Was busy dancin alanta that my baby wont suffer cough.
Lol

Chio

2 Likes

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by dexterush(f): 9:32am On Oct 20, 2016
Thought to share
Culled from ask the pediatrician

My baby has "OKA"!
If you are not from Nigeria, you may be lost from the title alone. The typical Naija Mum knows what I am talking about, especially if you are from the South-Western part of the country, specifically the Yoruba tribe. The other tribes have their own names for the same condition. A mum told me it is called "ndawa isi" in Ibo. Someone should tell me the Hausa name.

What is "oka"?
A lot of Nigerian Mums ask me countless number of times if their babies have "Oka". In fact, most do not ask "if" as they have been handed the standard diagnosis of "Oka" by the Grannies stat. Their own question is whether they should give "agbo oka" that is native concotion or herbal remedies for the "Oka". Another category of mums have gone beyond that and have started the treatment for "Oka". How do I know? Once you see a new baby with clean shaven head and sticky blackish substance applied to the scalp toward the front, you are seeing a child undergoing treatment for "Oka".

So what is this "Oka"?
The Grannies and some mums believe that there is a "hole" or "space" which is "breathing" or pulsating in the head of the new baby which is abnormal. That this soft space is not right and should not be there. Any baby that has this "abnormal space or hole" is diagnosed with "Oka".

For fat, hairy babies, the "hole" is not so apparent and often ignored. However, in smaller babies who are also not gaining weight or perhaps loosing weight, the space is very prominent and can even be sunken. Such babies are easily labelled as having "Oka" and commenced on all forms of treatment ranging from application of substances on the scalp to drinking herbal remedies. There are lots of myths and beliefs surrounding this "Oka".

So why am I talking about "Oka"?
Some years ago, during my residency training to become a Paediatrician, I was working at the Children Emergency Room (CHER) at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital when two women rushed in with a baby crying. That is not unusual in CHER. What was terrifying that day was when I saw the baby rushed in. He was about 2 - 3 months old. For the first time in my life, I was seeing the brain live and direct in a living person who was not being operated. This was not a movie scene! The brain of this baby was completely visible to everyone. What happened?

In the usual fashion, the grandma who came for "omugwo" had made a diagnosis of "Oka" and has prescribed the traditional treatment which was coating the surface with a black material. Unfortunately, in this scenario, whatever substance was applied was so caustic, it eroded (burnt) away the membrane of the anterior fontanelle and you can see the baby's brain live and direct!!! Of course, this was disastrous....for baby, mother and grandma and even us the doctors.

That is why I talk and educate mums about this traditional myths and beliefs that are dangerous to children's health. Of course, granny did not mean to harm her precious grandson but she did anyway. That baby had to undergo brain surgery. Of course, he had serious infection of the brain even before and after surgery. Though he did not die, but there are long-term complications he will face all because of someone's ignorance. No wonder, ignorance is more expensive than education.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by iomoge2(f): 9:37am On Oct 20, 2016
Rejoice02... where art thou.
You are our first November dated Mama....

Cum n sama us update ojare.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by enque(f): 9:52am On Oct 20, 2016
Thanks dear

tatacherie:

1 Like

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by enque(f): 10:24am On Oct 20, 2016

tata.cherie:
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by enque(f): 10:27am On Oct 20, 2016
Thanks dear

SisiNini:

Happy Birthday enque and Emerald22... May you experience more of God's blessings and love... Amen...
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by enque(f): 10:28am On Oct 20, 2016
thanks smiley

Dunni29:
Congratulations Teeteek on your arrivals. May the girls be a constant source of joy in your family and those they have contact with.

Happy birthday to you both Enque and Emerald 22. LLNP

1 Like

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Favouredmom(f): 10:30am On Oct 20, 2016
Happy birthday emerald22 and dear teamie @ Enque. More of God's blessings upon you and yours. Enjoy your day.
@ dexterush thanks for the "oka" post. Really insightful.

@ iomoge2, I suggest you make use of the supreme product as it usually lasts longer from what I know. It may be a bit pricey though.

Congrats Teeteek on the safe arrival of your twin girls. I pray mine too have good weights before I deliver them

3 Likes

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Nobody: 10:35am On Oct 20, 2016
Good day beautiful ladies,
Congrats to all that have put to bed, welcome newbies and have a stress free preggy, waddling mamas the Lord is your strength wish you all safe delivery.

I am one of you but feel the need to use a new ID for this matter please bare with me.

I lost my dad a few weeks back, my marriage is finally over( been shaky for a while though) even though I still put in best effort to see that we overcome our challenges. I've been leftout without a dime from our joint business, he wants me to drop our 11month old with him before I can have access to any money( over my dead body I told him) even my once loving in-laws are insisting I bring my baby to them before they can look into the matter. I cannot go back to my father's house at the moment because I'm still keeping my challenges away from my mum.

I've rented a room self contain and moved out.
My blood pressure is off the roof and I've been warned of my risk of having a stroke if I don't take things easy.

I can't access our joint account anymore,
I have big George materials for sale and some gold jewellery please any mama interested should please pm me or send mail to geze911@gmail..com

I don't want my baby to starve, I need to raise money to start a small business there's a part time school near me and I've made enquiries for a space in the compound to sell stationary and drinks. Please if anyone of you is moved as a mother, wife, daughter, sister and human to assist me financially I will be very grateful! I am willing to reveal via email my regular moniker if anyone needs prove. Reaching out here was a last resort as I'm drowning! Please help me for the sake of my baby, my misfortune is not his fault and he needs not suffer for the actions of his parents. Please my knees are on the floor begging you mamas and papas to help me! My account details(I opened another in my maiden name) is available to whoever is willing to offer help. May God watch over us all.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Akorkor(f): 10:45am On Oct 20, 2016
@ enque & Emerald22 happy birthday 2 u.God bless your new age.

2 Likes

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Coldfeet(f): 10:47am On Oct 20, 2016
olatebony:

And me too. Mama cold feet double twale for u ma'am chei! How u dey do am o. Lecture us abeg
Receive it too o! And may God give you the energy and resources to take care of them.

3 Likes

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by AmJane(f): 10:49am On Oct 20, 2016
Hbd to Enque and emerald22. God bless your new age.
Congrats mam Teeteek on the birth of your girls. May they make you proud.
Teamie @ Chanbaby thank God for his mercies in your life and for giving you your heart desire. May his name be praised.

1 Like

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Coldfeet(f): 10:53am On Oct 20, 2016
Faded glory I sent you a mail.... Please reply.

Happy birthday enque and emerald22

Congrats teeteek kisses to your princesses kiss kiss kiss

5 Likes

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by ozycy: 11:09am On Oct 20, 2016
enque:
Morning Mamas, Hope we all slept well and our LOs are doing great.

Happy birthday to you.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by ozycy: 11:12am On Oct 20, 2016
Emerald22:
I’m not just a year older I’m also a year better and prettier. Happy birthday to me..
Morning mothers!
Happy birthday to you too. GOD bless you 2
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by phundek(f): 11:13am On Oct 20, 2016
Happy birthday teamie enque and emerald22.May this new year bring more blessings and overflowing joy into your life.Enjoy the rest of your day.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by XX01(f): 11:15am On Oct 20, 2016
@ iomoge2, thank you very very much. I appreciate everything. I am travelling today and it's today I am making my hair and packing. Very hectic few days for me.

Happy birthday enque and emerald22. Long life and prosperity. Congrats Teekay. Happy bumping to the rest of us.

1 Like

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by ozycy: 11:18am On Oct 20, 2016
jamjam5000:
Pls help...
My 6 weeks old daughter has been coughing all night with running nose. I cant take it anymore and i am not allowed to give her any drug except tylenol.

Cc:iden...
I think this cough and cartarrh is just everywhere. I remember 2 mamas complained of same thing few pages back. Baby Sophie is also having same serious cough and cartarrh, infact she was also running temperature and not eating very well like before. I think hers is teething shaa. For the running nose, I use Shea butter. Am just waiting it out as am not in for drugs.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Sixx: 11:19am On Oct 20, 2016
Purity77:

Just open the email account you used to register on Nairaland. You'll see a mail from an NL moniker.
Reply it & off you go with the PM.

* I just sent you another PM now.
Sorry luv, still couldn't find it.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by ozycy: 11:22am On Oct 20, 2016
iomoge2:

Mummy Zaynie has been preachin a teaspoon of palm oil and a cube of st luios suga for cough.
Buh dunno if she can take it at 6weeks.
But then again why not if has been taking drugs.
Oh I even forgot about this home remedy
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by suzy(f): 11:23am On Oct 20, 2016
enque:
Morning Mamas, Hope we all slept well and our LOs are doing great.

Iomoge2, how far na? today na the day o...abi Zoe never ready.. Favouredmom, pele dear...the waddling and heaviness is getting realer by the day, I'm seriously counting down. Please go easy on the physical activities so that you don't strain your joints so much.

May God bless us all.... #TeamDecemberForSupernaturalDelivery

Happy birthday luv. Wishing u all d best in life. enjoy urself. pls send my cake

1 Like

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by enque(f): 11:23am On Oct 20, 2016
Thanks dear

iomoge2:

Zoe still dey ask of cornflakes n tea....from belle.... kikikikikiki.
With blows....na blow she dey use ask for something now.
Chio.

Happy Birthday Love.
May this new year be the best ever.
Hugs...
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by bolseas(f): 11:41am On Oct 20, 2016
My own complaint is high blood pressure. At my prevous antenatals, it used to be 140/90. As at yesterday, it was 150/100. my bp drugs dosage increased.

doctor said it is pregnancy induced BP.

Maternity leave to start in 2 weeks time. really looking forward to it o.

1 Like

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by dexterush(f): 12:28pm On Oct 20, 2016
FACTS TO KNOW ABOUT "OKA"

1. The "soft hole or space" often erroneously believed to be an abnormality is A NORMAL PART of the baby's head. It is called ANTERIOR FONTANELLE (AF).

Every baby has it. It is there to allow along with the small spaces (sutures) between the different bones of the skull to accommodate the baby's brain growth. So it is not "OKA" or any other thing....It is a normal part of the baby's head.

2. The anterior fontanelle (AF) is covered by a membrane, and this membrane is what actually separates the baby's brain from the environment. It is that important! So any application of substances that can damage this membrane will lead to exposure of the brain to the environment with serious consequences like in the story above.

3. The fact that in some babies, very hairy or chubby especially, that you can not see it pulsating or "breathing" in local naija parlance does not mean it is not there. Some mums have actually said their babies do not anterior fontanelle! That is not true....every baby is born with one!

4. The size and shape of the AF varies from one baby to another normally. In some conditions, it can be too big. Also the anterior fontannelle can be elevated "bulging" in some conditions especially if the baby has infections in the brain. It can be depressed "sunken" in other conditions like in babies that are very dehydrated or malnourished.

Please note that in these conditions, it is not the AF causing the disease symptoms (for example diarrhoea and dehydration with sunken AF). Rather, the AF is just reflecting the fact that something is wrong in the body systems.

It is important to say this because this is one of the reasons some mums believe in "OKA". Such babies are sick and may either have prominent or sunken AF in addition to other symptoms. The "OKA doctors" will now say it is the "oka" causing the symptoms.

The danger of this belief is all treatments will be directed to the AF and the underlying disease causing the change in AF will be ignored. Also some of the native medications often use d have dangerous side effects and consequences especially on the immature liver and kidneys of the babies causing further damage...."fry pan to fire" scenario!!!

5. The AF closes on its own by age of 18 - 24 months. This is because more than 90% of brain growth and development has occurred by the age of 2 years. You did not need to do anything about it. It happens on its own. Just to note that some diseases can cause delay in closure of the AF. See your paediatrician if you can still feel the AF in your baby after age 2 years.

6. You did not need to apply oil to the AF hourly or daily....highly unnecessary and the dripping oil will cause rashes on the baby's face. The AF is not "drying up" like many naija mums believe. You also do not need to put thread from cloth. You also do not need to mop AF with hot water or apply any substances local or herbal on it. JUST LEAVE THE AF ALONE!!!

7. Finally if your baby is sick with or without observed changes in the AF, please go to the Hospital immediately. Don't assume and don't accept the "OKA" diagnosis. Please see your doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment. A stitch in time saves nine!

Thank you for reading.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by iomoge2(f): 1:17pm On Oct 20, 2016
Dunni29:

She is too young for this method. Palm oils, sugars, honey and co are not recommended for children below 1 year

Cc
Ozycy
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by iomoge2(f): 1:18pm On Oct 20, 2016
XX01:
@ iomoge2, thank you very very much. I appreciate everything. I am travelling today and it's today I am making my hair and packing. Very hectic few days for me.

Happy birthday enque and emerald22. Long life and prosperity. Congrats Teekay. Happy bumping to the rest of us.

Was it u last night?
grin cheesy grin

Safe trip.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by missmalachi: 1:27pm On Oct 20, 2016
Happy birthday to enque and emerald22......i pray for immeasurable blessings upon u this day.increase u in Jesus name.

@fadedglory.....it is well my dear....God will see u thru.....it might look as though u are thrown out to the wolves now,be rest assure that u will come back leading the pack.

5 Likes

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Mzleemah(f): 1:31pm On Oct 20, 2016
Sabi mamas, please What Is the right dosage of folic acid to be taken daily because the one I bought contains 5mg of folic acid and 5mcg of vitamin B12.

Soonest
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by XX01(f): 1:41pm On Oct 20, 2016
iomoge2:

Was it u last night?
grin cheesy grin

Safe trip.

It was me o. Queen of last minute things.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (2449) (2450) (2451) (2452) (2453) (2454) (2455) ... (6955) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.