Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,284 members, 7,829,647 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:03 AM

How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group (42062 Views)

The 3 Largest Ethnic Groups Are Hausa,igbo,kanuri / The Fourth Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria / Odumchi: Yorubas Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Nobody: 9:06am On Sep 16, 2012
One_Naira:

Just wanted to post this. I remember seeing a website on this said group, I just couldn't remember the address hence the reason I didn't bring it earlier but I finally found it

To address the topic on whether Egbema are Ijaw or Igbo; we should direct our attention to their LGA official website. Written not even by a random author but by actual citizen of the community in question.

http://ogbaegbemandonilga.gov.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=93&Itemid=190

SMH dude. You need to stop claiming communities that are not part of Ijaw clan.

Sickler, No one wrote about or discussed Ogba Egbema Ndoni here. And incase you do not know you should know that the Orashi river runs between the Joinkrama Akinima Ijaws and the Egbema at the opposite side. Now what makes you think Ijaws who naturally use the river for fishing and things never settled at the other side of the river bank ? Do you even know the relationship between the Ogba people and the Ijaws ? Read the history of the Nembes and KALABARIS proper to get an idea and find out why the Nembes and KALABARIS went to war over the control of the Orashi river. The vilage of ORUMA is the cradle of the Egbema Ijaws who migrated up north to settle among the Ogbas. Egbema in Ogba land was founded by Ijaws just as Ijaws founded NDOKI where Ngwa people migrated to live en mass. It all happened like how Oyigbo is happening today. Oyigbo was just a market named Obigbo market where Igbos brought their food to sell along the old aba road. The oldest village in that area is owned by Okrika and it is called Abi-ama. Why do'nt you ask your self why NDOKI land remained sparsely populated and was never known till now. That s cos there were no Igbo natives there. AFAM is an Ogoni farm land long long time ago while Okoloma was founded by Ibani traders and they are the biggest towns there But today Ngwa Igbos are flooding the place and buying land for farming which they claim now as their native land. Oyigbo grew the same way just as Egbema of Ogba land.
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Nobody: 9:10am On Sep 16, 2012
These daft headed punks will never take any thing . They want to pronounce Ijaw names better than the IJAW MAN so I think the best game is to let them wallow in their ignorance. They are after all some bunch of feeble blobs.
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by DuduNegro: 9:38am On Sep 16, 2012
Killayut and Ijaw citizen,

I admire you guys for your tenacity. This is how to wear ibos down and force them to yield. They dont have the staying power and stamina to sustain long argument. What starts as simple dwbate soon descend into curses and name calling because they get frustrated and defeated so soon and wanting to end it quick they throw courtesy out the windoq and use brute force to get their way. When people yield to them they record it as success and it becomes their truth that they hammer forever on.

This is how they convonced themselves that Awo died from ingesting rat poison because no Yoruba held up against them with tenacity, but thats in the past.....they know better now.

Dont yield your ground .....
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Abagworo(m): 9:55am On Sep 16, 2012
killayut: These daft headed punks will never take any thing . They want to pronounce Ijaw names better than the IJAW MAN so I think the best game is to let them wallow in their ignorance. They are after all some bunch of feeble blobs.

I've stumbled upon your youtube arguments with Okoroman and was just LMFAO! You seem mentally deranged to me.

All these people mentioning Orashi which is in my hometown makes things quite funny. It is true that some Ijaw elements settled around but they've long since been absorbed and are Igbo today because they were few in number. I've told you people that Twon Brass, Bonny, Opobo and Okrika were founded by Igbos and Ijaws but you are running away from that. Asari has already admitted that he descended from Abam in Abia State. I can dig up some court cases and even history concerning Buguma in particular and even Kalabari kingship which suggests that they are obviously Igbo rooted. Igbos consider language as a definition of ethnicity that's why Okrika and Kalabari are not regarded as Igbo. Opobo speaks only Igbo as their language while Bonny speaks Igbo and Ibani but are considered Riverine because they are not geographically contiguous with Igboland as they are separated from Igbo by Okrika and Ogoni. There is no way one will lose his language entirely to another when he was neither conquered nor controlled by the other. The truth is that all the Eastern Ijaws are mix of Igbo and Ijaw with Efik/Ibibio as well in some instances. The Igbo has higher ratio in some cases, lower in others and equal in one. The Hausa and Fulani is an example. You cannot say you are purely Ijaw and Igbos came and forced you to leave Ijaw and start speaking Igbo. That's impossible!

Let's take a look at Okrika which was founded by an Igbo married to Ijaw and it is clear from the bilingual nature, marriage pattern, culture of trading and fishing and phenotype. Why would you subtract the Igbo part and claim dominance by Igbo when you are half Igbo by origin and by maternity? What makes you think an Igbo would want to hurt his blood relation and inlaw?

2 Likes

Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by ChinenyeN(m): 10:23am On Sep 16, 2012
killayut: Sickler, No one wrote about or discussed Ogba Egbema Ndoni here. And incase you do not know you should know that the Orashi river runs between the Joinkrama Akinima Ijaws and the Egbema at the opposite side. Now what makes you think Ijaws who naturally use the river for fishing and things never settled at the other side of the river bank ? Do you even know the relationship between the Ogba people and the Ijaws ? Read the history of the Nembes and KALABARIS proper to get an idea and find out why the Nembes and KALABARIS went to war over the control of the Orashi river. The vilage of ORUMA is the cradle of the Egbema Ijaws who migrated up north to settle among the Ogbas. Egbema in Ogba land was founded by Ijaws just as Ijaws founded NDOKI where Ngwa people migrated to live en mass. It all happened like how Oyigbo is happening today. Oyigbo was just a market named Obigbo market where Igbos brought their food to sell along the old aba road. The oldest village in that area is owned by Okrika and it is called Abi-ama. Why do'nt you ask your self why NDOKI land remained sparsely populated and was never known till now. That s cos there were no Igbo natives there. AFAM is an Ogoni farm land long long time ago while Okoloma was founded by Ibani traders and they are the biggest towns there But today Ngwa Igbos are flooding the place and buying land for farming which they claim now as their native land. Oyigbo grew the same way just as Egbema of Ogba land.

Just stop mentioning Ngwa as if you know what you're talking about. If you want to "create facts", then create those facts using something else.
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by ACM10: 10:24am On Sep 16, 2012
Abagworo:

I've stumbled upon your youtube arguments with Okoroman and was just LMFAO! You seem mentally deranged to me.

All these people mentioning Orashi which is in my hometown makes things quite funny. It is true that some Ijaw elements settled around but they've long since been absorbed and are Igbo today because they were few in number. I've told you people that Twon Brass, Bonny, Opobo and Okrika were founded by Igbos and Ijaws but you are running away from that. Asari has already admitted that he descended from Abam in Abia State. I can dig up some court cases and even history concerning Buguma in particular and even Kalabari kingship which suggests that they are obviously Igbo rooted. Igbos consider language as a definition of ethnicity that's why Okrika and Kalabari are not regarded as Igbo. Opobo speaks only Igbo as their language while Bonny speaks Igbo and Ibani but are considered Riverine because they are not geographically contiguous with Igboland as they are separated from Igbo by Okrika and Ogoni. There is no way one will lose his language entirely to another when he was neither conquered nor controlled by the other. The truth is that all the Eastern Ijaws are mix of Igbo and Ijaw with Efik/Ibibio as well in some instances. The Igbo has higher ratio in some cases, lower in others and equal in one. The Hausa and Fulani is an example. You cannot say you are purely Ijaw and Igbos came and forced you to leave Ijaw and start speaking Igbo. That's impossible!

Let's take a look at Okrika which was founded by an Igbo married to Ijaw and it is clear from the bilingual nature, marriage pattern, culture of trading and fishing and phenotype. Why would you subtract the Igbo part and claim dominance by Igbo when you are half Igbo by origin and by maternity? What makes you think an Igbo would want to hurt his blood relation and inlaw?

I appreciate your honest attempt at educating this folk. But I must caution you that this folk looks uneducable
from what I have observed. Someone who boldly stated that PH is an Ijaw town is not worth engaging in a debate.
killayut:

Fool, You Igbos can call London what ever name you like but London remains an English town. Call Port Harcourt what ever name you like and it will remain an Ijaw town.
www.nairaland.com/500126/true-extent-alaigbo-igboland/65#12182432

Abagworo, remember your bolded remark. He sounds unstable. I can't agree more with you.
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by DuduNegro: 10:35am On Sep 16, 2012
Heres what you all need.

Ibos say they are unified by their language but theirunification under labguage was recent and not ancient. Prior to Rev Samuel Ajayi Crowther's work to standardize the language there were discrete cultures and societies who would not and did not identify as ibo and some even defied the label back then as it is now.

Read....... http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=http%3A%2F%2Fpcwww.liv.ac.uk%2F%7Edvdb%2FCH_4.pdf&oq=http%3A%2F%2Fpcwww.liv.ac.uk%2F%7Edvdb%2FCH_4.pdf&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.12...0.0.0.230919.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0.les%3B..0.0...1ac.rMWzXf4uokE
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by OneNaira6: 10:38am On Sep 16, 2012
killayut:

Sickler, No one wrote about or discussed Ogba Egbema Ndoni here. And incase you do not know you should know that the Orashi river runs between the Joinkrama Akinima Ijaws and the Egbema at the opposite side. Now what makes you think Ijaws who naturally use the river for fishing and things never settled at the other side of the river bank ? Do you even know the relationship between the Ogba people and the Ijaws ? Read the history of the Nembes and KALABARIS proper to get an idea and find out why the Nembes and KALABARIS went to war over the control of the Orashi river. The vilage of ORUMA is the cradle of the Egbema Ijaws who migrated up north to settle among the Ogbas. Egbema in Ogba land was founded by Ijaws just as Ijaws founded NDOKI where Ngwa people migrated to live en mass. It all happened like how Oyigbo is happening today. Oyigbo was just a market named Obigbo market where Igbos brought their food to sell along the old aba road. The oldest village in that area is owned by Okrika and it is called Abi-ama. Why do'nt you ask your self why NDOKI land remained sparsely populated and was never known till now. That s cos there were no Igbo natives there. AFAM is an Ogoni farm land long long time ago while Okoloma was founded by Ibani traders and they are the biggest towns there But today Ngwa Igbos are flooding the place and buying land for farming which they claim now as their native land. Oyigbo grew the same way just as Egbema of Ogba land.

Dude STOP pushing your origin and history changing on communities that aren't YOURS and in no way claim origin with you all. I brought you THERE OFFICIAL website for a reason. They are not ijaw, they have no ijaw origin. Ijaw isn't their father. Read their origin from their own f2king mouth and STOP stealing and laying claim to other people's property.

2 Likes

Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by OneNaira6: 10:45am On Sep 16, 2012
ChinenyeN:

Just stop mentioning Ngwa as if you know what you're talking about. If you want to "create facts", then create those facts using something else.

Dude, he like creating facts even if you provide him evidence that dispute those facts. He'll still continue with his own self made facts. Don't even bother, just bring out whatever it is written by your people to prove their origin, post it and move on. Let him twist, shout, scream and try to change the people history as if he knows it more so than them
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Nobody: 10:46am On Sep 16, 2012
Abagworo:

yOUR SENSELESSNESS will never make you understand the argument. USA has been giving citizenship to ARABS, INDIANS and AFRICANS. iF 10000 YRS TO COME ARABS become more in number and arabic language become widely spoken would not make USA an ARAB land . No one is arguing that there are no Igbos among the IJAWS of the east. The Igbos came by circumstance and our forefathers freely absorbed them and the Igbos were happy about that. They even fought wars to defend the land. Their being among the natives does not change the land being IJAW. They never founded nothing, They were simply absorbed and given citizenship... All the communities along the orashi river were founded by IJAW traders cos the Ogba people were inland dwellers. They only brought their goods to meet the Ijaws at the river bank just as what happened in Ikwere land along the NEW CALABAR river and Bonny river where Kalabari people founded IWOFE AND IKU KIRI. If KALABARI people did not leave the Emohua , Ogbogoro and Ibaa area, they would have created settlements there too. But those areas were the main cause of the internal KALABARI wars and KALABARI BONNY WAR. At the end they all lose the place. AND YOU BETTER READ OKRIKA HISTORY VERY WELL before you look more stupid. And for Hausa and Fulani, The fulanis went to settle among the HAUSAS and never otherwise. No Fulani can lay claim to any town in the north cos they migrated to established or founded towns .

1 Like

Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Nobody: 10:52am On Sep 16, 2012
Interesting footage to see posted by a JAMAICAN HISTORIAN on youtube... About the Importance and glory of the IJAW people .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PH1TvEE8Vw

Majority of the black people of Guyana and Surinam are IJAWS Guyana and Surinam were the main base of the Dutch and the bulk of the slaves were taken from IJAW land . I am tired of explaining issues so People please just view that you tube footage and learn some thing from it.
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Nobody: 11:02am On Sep 16, 2012
ACM10:

I appreciate your honest attempt at educating this folk. But I must caution you that this folk looks uneducable
from my what I have observed. Someone who boldly stated that PH is an Ijaw town is not worth engaging in a debate.

Abagworo, remember your bolded remark. He sounds unstable. I can't agree more with you.

Go to Port Harcourt and tell the people that It is an Igbo town and see where your flesh end. Where were you Igbo monkeys during the days of Tom ATEKE AND asari Dokubo in Port Harcourt ? Why did you not come out to say Ijaw people should take the fight to Buguma and Okrika ? Port Harcourt does not have any Igbo name and any Rumu or umu anything. So the places you call Port Harcourt can also be called LONDON we do not care . The Port Harcourt that is Port Harcourt is an Okrika enclave. Damn ! I am having head ache now. OK let us end it as it is. As Igbo goats go to Port Harcourt and claim right and feel happy . Idiot. How many Igbos ever sold land in ABULOMA, amadi ama, rainbow, okuru, Town ( main Port harcourt ) Borikiri and even Mile one diobu ? WHERE ARE THE NATIVES ? WHERE ARE THEIR NATIVE TRADITIONAL TOWN HALLS ? Okrika chiefs control the various quarters of Port Harcourt and every traditional matter goes to the amayanabo of Okrika. WHERE WERE YOU iGBO FOOLS WHEN Okrika people dealt with Ogonis in Port Harcourt ?

1 Like

Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by ACM10: 11:08am On Sep 16, 2012
killayut:

Go to Port Harcourt and tell the people that It is an Igbo town and see where your flesh end. Where were you Igbo monkeys during the days of Tom ATEKE AND asari Dokubo in Port Harcourt ? Why did you not come out to say Ijaw people should take the fight to Buguma and Okrika ? Port Harcourt does not have any Igbo name and any Rumu or umu anything. So the places you call Port Harcourt can also be called LONDON we do not care . The Port Harcourt that is Port Harcourt is an Okrika enclave. Damn ! I am having head ache now. OK let us end it as it is. As Igbo goats go to Port Harcourt and claim right and feel happy . Idiot. How many Igbos ever sold land in ABULOMA, amadi ama, rainbow, okuru, Town ( main Port harcourt ) Borikiri and even Mile one diobu ? WHERE ARE THE NATIVES ? WHERE ARE THEIR NATIVE TRADITIONAL TOWN HALLS ? Okrika chiefs control the various quarters of Port Harcourt and every traditional matter goes to the amayanabo of Okrika. WHERE WERE YOU iGBO FOOLS WHEN Okrika people dealt with Ogonis in Port Harcourt ?

Abagworo:
LMFAO! You seem mentally deranged to me.
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Abagworo(m): 11:42am On Sep 16, 2012
I hope Killayut is not like a lot of people I've met who believe that success means extortion from oil companies, destroying pipelines, intimidating people, carrying guns and sleeping with love peddlers. They go about telling people boldly that they are Ijaw militants and see that as a thing of pride. There are a lot of them in Port Harcourt.

1 Like

Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by ACM10: 11:47am On Sep 16, 2012
Abagworo: I hope Killayut is not like a lot of people I've met who believe that success means extortion from oil companies, destroying pipelines, intimidating people, carrying guns and sleeping with love peddlers. They go about telling people boldly that they are Ijaw militants and see that as a thing of pride. There are a lot of them in Port Harcourt.

Ofcourse he is one of them. If he's not, then what is the rationale for the comment below?

killayut:
WHERE WERE YOU iGBO FOOLS WHEN Okrika people dealt with Ogonis in Port Harcourt ?

Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Ngodigha1(m): 1:34pm On Sep 16, 2012
Dudu_Negro: Killayut and Ijaw citizen,

I admire you guys for your tenacity. This is how to wear ibos down and force them to yield. They dont have the staying power and stamina to sustain long argument. What starts as simple dwbate soon descend into curses and name calling because they get frustrated and defeated so soon and wanting to end it quick they throw courtesy out the windoq and use brute force to get their way. When people yield to them they record it as success and it becomes their truth that they hammer forever on.

This is how they convonced themselves that Awo died from ingesting rat poison because no Yoruba held up against them with tenacity, but thats in the past.....they know better now.

Dont yield your ground .....
Baboon, shut up your smelly mouth. You should be concerned with his claims of Kirikiri, Apapa, etc in Lagos as Ijaw towns and people. How about his claim of a third of Yoruba state of Ondo as Ijaw. Get a life, plural fool.

3 Likes

Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by DuduNegro: 2:35pm On Sep 16, 2012
Ngodigha1:
Baboon, shut up your smelly mouth. You should be concerned with his claims of Kirikiri, Apapa, etc in Lagos as Ijaw towns and people. How about his claim of a third of Yoruba state of Ondo as Ijaw. Get a life, plural fool.

Chimp,

Go inhale snuff! Theres nothing new under the sun. What is he claiming now that ibo has not before him claimed? Ibo said they are 500million nobody got mad. Ibo said they own Lagos nobody had a heart attack. Ijaw say they are 30million ibo dey shit for trouser. Ijaw say na hin own parts of Yorubaland you dey vex.

Anybody, whether ibo, ijaw or hausa, wey want to become Yoruba is welcome. We are graceful and pleasant people and admired and loved......thats why everybody wants to belong in our fatherland and be our kin. We only ask that you swear to Ogun and Sango when you take oath of brotherhood.

....by the way, Chimps are excluded from the invitation. grin

3 Likes

Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Ngodigha1(m): 4:01pm On Sep 16, 2012
Dudu_Negro:

Chimp,

Go inhale snuff! Theres nothing new under the sun. What is he claiming now that ibo has not before him claimed? Ibo said they are 500million nobody got mad. Ibo said they own Lagos nobody had a heart attack. Ijaw say they are 30million ibo dey shit for trouser. Ijaw say na hin own parts of Yorubaland you dey vex.

Anybody, whether ibo, ijaw or hausa, wey want to become Yoruba is welcome. We are graceful and pleasant people and admired and loved......thats why everybody wants to belong in our fatherland and be our kin. We only ask that you swear to Ogun and Sango when you take oath of brotherhood.

....by the way, Chimps are excluded from the invitation. grin
Baboonei Baboona, can you give me any link where Ndigbo have made those claims you wrote above. Failure to do this means you must forever hold your smelly breath. You think jumping to the Ijaw defence here will make them not to blow up another atlas clove, or deal with OPC basketmouths again. They will still deal with you when they want.
Phuck off impotent Baboon.

2 Likes

Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Johndoe100(m): 4:07pm On Sep 16, 2012
ACM10:

Ofcourse he is one of them. If he's not, then what is the rationale for the comment below?

How can an ibo man open his mouth to talk about crime? Please I am amazed that you people could find time to post here. You are either raping in your schools , kidnapping the rape victims after they leave school, shooting them in their offices and homes as you try and rob them or raping them AGAIN when they are grandmothers!!!!!!! I mean, no one is safe when their is an ibo guy around. Ask any Lagos landlord.

1 Like

Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Nobody: 4:49pm On Sep 16, 2012
Abagworo: I hope Killayut is not like a lot of people I've met who believe that success means extortion from oil companies, destroying pipelines, intimidating people, carrying guns and sleeping with love peddlers. They go about telling people boldly that they are Ijaw militants and see that as a thing of pride. There are a lot of them in Port Harcourt.

What ever they did , the question is why were the vigilante of Port Harcourt made up of only Ijaw young boys ? why were there no MASSOB GANGS ? How many Igbo men have been spoke s men for Port Harcourt affair ?
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Nobody: 4:50pm On Sep 16, 2012
Ngodigha1:

Shush and stop being the Igbo man that you are . He made a very good point.
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by ezeagu(m): 4:56pm On Sep 16, 2012
Ngodigha1:

Please remind all of us of Atlas Cove!
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Nobody: 5:13pm On Sep 16, 2012
ezeagu:

Please remind all of us of Atlas Cove!

EZEAGU..LOL Your typical Igbo method is not working.
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by ezeagu(m): 5:24pm On Sep 16, 2012
Port Harcourt isn't a dispute territory, but just in case we didn't know where everything stands:

Frederick Lugard's love letter to Lewis Vernon Harcourt, 18 August 1913.

I have the honour to enclose for your information charts of the estuaries and rivers in the neighbourhood of the proposed port and terminus of the Eastern Railway at [size=15pt]Diobu or more correctly Iguocha[/size]... In the absence of any convenient local name, I would respectfully ask your permission to call this Port Harcourt, and I anticipate, that, in the future, it will be one of the most important ports in the coast of West Africa...

Just in case:

[img]http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=jlsqAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA74&img=1&pgis=1&dq=iguocha&sig=ACfU3U1wKi7JFMWVz-QQoE-OHDpn24Qu3A&edge=0[/img]

[img]http://books.google.com/books?id=jlsqAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA74&img=1&pgis=1&dq=iguocha+diobu&sig=ACfU3U3aw3MMOe81wOCKtX-b5PB_duM62w&edge=0[/img]
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=jlsqAQAAMAAJ

Just in case in case:

Port Harcourt, established in 1912, was a creation of the port developed there in the vicinity of the Iguocha cliff.

Nigerian Cities (2004) by Toyin Falola
http://books.google.com/books?id=JPJmCcZyxmYC&pg=PA26&lpg=PA26&dq=iguocha

For those who don't speak English:

http://books.google.com/books?id=fv7Cy4ZT2w8C&pg=PA43&lpg=PA43&dq=iguocha

One more time.

Iguocha was accordingly selected as the future eastern railway terminus. In 1913 Lord Lugard visited [size=18pt]Iguocha[/size] and opened this port under the name by which it is known today — Port Harcourt.

The Nigerian field, Volume 42 (1977) Nigerian Field Society.
http://books.google.com/books?id=J2ZAAQAAIAAJ&dq=iguocha+harcourt&q=1913

Last one:

Hughes found that the creek opposite Okrika Island was the continuation of the Bonny River and following it up he came to the literite cliffs on which was established a village Iguocha, and so Port Harcourt was born.

http://books.google.com/books?id=qqkuAQAAIAAJ

Forgotten heroes of Grand Bonny (2001), by Gentle Finapiri
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Ngodigha1(m): 6:12pm On Sep 16, 2012
Johndoe100:

How can an ibo man open his mouth to talk about crime? Please I am amazed that you people could find time to post here. You are either raping in your schools , kidnapping the rape victims after they leave school, shooting them in their offices and homes as you try and rob them or raping them AGAIN when they are grandmothers!!!!!!! I mean, no one is safe when their is an ibo guy around. Ask any Lagos landlord.
Monkey, even kilanut is trying hard, who knows you lil bat here. Do you post anything outside shooting, kidnapping and other criminal activities. That shows the biz you do as a career.
Get a proper job, asz-leaking monkey.
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Onlytruth(m): 7:56pm On Sep 16, 2012
This animal called killayut is just a full time a.s.s and a natural coward. I suspect that most of us are even responding just to pass time.

Ubochi nta, anyi ga achu na owerre nchi. cool
Ubochi isi, anyi ga akpu afu onu. cool

Though it can be very annoying sometimes, I am a strong believer in FREE SPEECH. Even animals speak. lol
I can't speak goat language though. cool
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Onlytruth(m): 7:57pm On Sep 16, 2012
ezeagu: Port Harcourt isn't a dispute territory, but just in case we didn't know where everything stands:

Frederick Lugard's love letter to Lewis Vernon Harcourt, 18 August 1913.

Just in case:

[img]http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=jlsqAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA74&img=1&pgis=1&dq=iguocha&sig=ACfU3U1wKi7JFMWVz-QQoE-OHDpn24Qu3A&edge=0[/img]

[img]http://books.google.com/books?id=jlsqAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA74&img=1&pgis=1&dq=iguocha+diobu&sig=ACfU3U3aw3MMOe81wOCKtX-b5PB_duM62w&edge=0[/img]
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=jlsqAQAAMAAJ

Just in case in case:

Nigerian Cities (2004) by Toyin Falola
http://books.google.com/books?id=JPJmCcZyxmYC&pg=PA26&lpg=PA26&dq=iguocha

For those who don't speak English:

http://books.google.com/books?id=fv7Cy4ZT2w8C&pg=PA43&lpg=PA43&dq=iguocha

One more time.

The Nigerian field, Volume 42 (1977) Nigerian Field Society.
http://books.google.com/books?id=J2ZAAQAAIAAJ&dq=iguocha+harcourt&q=1913

Last one:

http://books.google.com/books?id=qqkuAQAAIAAJ

Forgotten heroes of Grand Bonny (2001), by Gentle Finapiri

ezeagu, you never disappoint. Thanks for educating we the masses. wink cool cool
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by PhysicsQED(m): 7:59pm On Sep 16, 2012
Perhaps there are two different Egbema (one Ijaw and one Igbo) groups with the same name?

I say this only because the Egbema in Delta and Edo states are clearly Ijaw, not Igbo. So if the Egbema in Rivers claim an Igbo origin, it's possible that the name sharing is a coincidence between an Igbo group called Egbema and an Ijaw group with the same name with a different meaning. This is just a suggestion as a possible explanation.
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Ngodigha1(m): 8:29pm On Sep 16, 2012
PhysicsQED: Perhaps there are two different Egbema (one Ijaw and one Igbo) groups with the same name?

I say this only because the Egbema in Delta and Edo states are clearly Ijaw, not Igbo. So if the Egbema in Rivers claim an Igbo origin, it's possible that the name sharing is a coincidence between an Igbo group called Egbema and an Ijaw group with the same name with a different meaning. This is just a suggestion as a possible explanation.
The Egbema in in Imo state is the same Egbema people in Rivers state. Formerly they were in Imo state until the bounndary adjustments of 1976 which later placed them in Rivers state. Because of the oil reserves found there, the Nasir committe decided to transfer them into Rivers state where there are other oil producing communities. Thank God shortly after this adjustment, the other side that was left in Imo state was also discovered of large oil deposits.
Egbema means Egbe and mma-Egbe na mma. Egbe gun and mma means cutlass. They are great hunters and farmers who use guns in hunting and cutlasses in farming. They are not in any way related to Ijaws in Rivers or Edo state. They are Oguta and Ohaji by blood. Currently, the Eze heading the newly formed assembly of Ezes in Imo state is an Eze from Egbema. The other side of Egbema in Rivers state is where Mike Mbamaonyeukwu Okiro- former inspector general of police hails from. He is the first Inspector gen of Police from the Igbo stock. Currently, he is an active member of Aka Ikenga-an Igbo elite socio-cultural organisation.
Remember that there is a place called Obama in Nigeria and it does not mean same with America's Barrack Obama.
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by PhysicsQED(m): 8:34pm On Sep 16, 2012
killayut:

I do not normally refer no one to wiki but at least who ever posted this on wiki made a little point

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engenni_people

That The Engenni people consider themselves as Ijaws. Ogba Egbema people speak Igbo but claimed to have come from Benin.... Even the Ikweres in their history claimed to have come from Benin. Elements of these Benin migrants may have settled among the Engennis but The native Engenni people are pure Ijaw.. Abuloma, Bukuma, Degema, Obonnoma, Okpo, Ido Are a few of Engenni elements and they live in Kalabari and Okrika enclave as normal Ijaw people ,. In Bayelsa the Ogbia, Epie Attisa of Yenagoa including President Jonathan's village of ATUAKE, Okordia to Mbiama to Rivers state Akinima and Joinkrama and Biseni and South of Mbiama including Okarki to Oruma and all the clans along the ORASHI river through Abua Odual land down to Degema are Proto Engenni people whose dialect is termed EPIE ATTISA and They are 100% IJAW.

How do you determine who are the "native" Engenni people and who are the Edoid migrants? Maybe the Engenni people are Edoid in origin not Ijoid but some mixed with the native Ijaws from other groups.
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by PhysicsQED(m): 8:38pm On Sep 16, 2012
Ngodigha1:
The Egbema in in Imo state is the same Egbema people in Rivers state. Formerly they were in Imo state until the bounndary adjustments of 1976 which later placed them in Rivers state. Because of the oil reserves found there, the Nasir committe decided to transfer them into Rivers state where there are other oil producing communities. Thank God shortly after this adjustment, the other side that was left in Imo state was also discovered of large oil deposits.
Egbema means Egbe and mma-Egbe na mma. Egbe gun and mma means cutlass. They are great hunters and farmers who use guns in hunting and cutlasses in farming. They are not in any way related to Ijaws in Rivers or Edo state. They are Oguta and Ohaji by blood. Currently, the Eze heading the newly formed assembly of Ezes in Imo state is an Eze from Egbema. The other side of Egbema in Rivers state is where Mike Mbamaonyeukwu Okiro- former inspector general of police hails from. He is the first Inspector gen of Police from the Igbo stock. Currently, he is an active member of Aka Ikenga-an Igbo elite socio-cultural organisation.
Remember that there is a place called Obama in Nigeria and it does not mean same with America's Barrack Obama.

Thanks for the explanation. I was basically right then. There are some groups and places with similar or identical names among different ethnic groups so these misunderstandings can sometimes happen.
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Ngodigha1(m): 9:00pm On Sep 16, 2012
PhysicsQED:

Thanks for the explanation. I was basically right then. There are some groups and places with similar or identical names among different ethnic groups so these misunderstandings can sometimes happen.
Than you my man. But it will be an outright idiocy for one to claim Egbema people found in Imo and Rivers are Ijaws because of the Egbemas found in Edo state.
Not you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (17) (Reply)

2023 #GEJisComing: Jonathan Is Running For Presidency Under APC - Twitter Users / We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie / Graphic Pictures From Jos Bomb Blast Yesterday- Viewers Discretion Is Adviced

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.