Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,010 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:58 AM

I Am Obsessed With consuming sand!! - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / I Am Obsessed With consuming sand!! (28916 Views)

#myselfesteemandi HELP! I Am OBSESSED With Weight Loss / Shocking Dangers Of Consuming Catfish / ~ How Obsessed Are You About Your Weight? ~ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am Obsessed With consuming sand!! by Donmeca(m): 3:37pm On Mar 19, 2012
As a child, i ate moulded salty clay/chalk...nzu...so much. i used to buy it from kiosks as a snack then. I was a bit attached to it mostly due to its scent...especially when a little water touches d hard mould. I wud stupidly go to a poor compound under d hot sun, get water and poor on d unplastered mud walls then stand to fill my lungs with d scent of wet clay/chalk.

As n adult, i feel funny weneva rain falls after a long dry period...especially in d village...it gives me similar scent of my childhood nzu. But i cant fink of licking nzu again...just like d sweet smell
Re: I Am Obsessed With consuming sand!! by sunnshyn(f): 4:10pm On Mar 19, 2012
T-Spayne:
The condition is called pica and its a sign of mineral deficiency, especially iron.
Some people know so much sha! I'll go read about PICA...I'm learning.
Re: I Am Obsessed With consuming sand!! by Piyke: 4:18pm On Mar 19, 2012
Its likely you have Iron deficiency anemia. It is responsible for unusual cravings like this. A simple thing blood film in a standard lab should detect this. You should have by having this test. Good luck
Re: I Am Obsessed With consuming sand!! by obi123: 4:25pm On Mar 19, 2012
I started having this constant craving for ice about 3months ago ,and i have read that i might be iron deficient, its so weird
Re: I Am Obsessed With consuming sand!! by Koolking(m): 4:31pm On Mar 19, 2012
4wardever: Stop it now cos not only can it damage your teeth, it can lead to gastrointestinal problems such as constipation, abdominal pain, vomiting, loss of appetite, and diarrhea.

BTW, since it was one of your childhood indulgence, you should have gotten over it by now or graduated to eating gravel or rocks. Seriously now, you need help!!!

A word is enough for the wise.

Geez! You are a clown. You wan wound person with laff?
Re: I Am Obsessed With consuming sand!! by olumidazz: 4:32pm On Mar 19, 2012
Well I understand how u feel, but to consume white sand on a daily bases is uncomprehending. My own addiction is a sickly craving for ice blocks, I can consume a tipper load of it daily and cannot survive without ice blocks.
Re: I Am Obsessed With consuming sand!! by Nobody: 4:38pm On Mar 19, 2012
JUO: i ate also but as an adult u need to see TB Joshua
i guess u watched that episode on emmanuel TV where pastor TB JOSHUA delivered one lady from this kind of situation..... The other thing i've been thinking is... This story might just be another "made up" story. Maybe the poster watched the programme on TV and decided to post it, just to make a hot topic or front page. Well if its true. U need to see pastor TB JOSHUA!
Re: I Am Obsessed With consuming sand!! by kandiikane(m): 4:49pm On Mar 19, 2012
^^It is not made up. I was watching Orbit: Earth's extraordinary journey for those who live in England yesterday and they showed the sahara desert. I got agitated by the constant image of it due to the craving, had to change the channel. I do not know who pastor Joshua is and neither did I know it would actually make frontpage. I just open the thread due to the frustration of the craving and wanted to know whether others have weird cravings and whether eating sand has health issues associated with it. Thank you.

I have looked into the condition called pica and I believe that's what I have.
Re: I Am Obsessed With consuming sand!! by Thereishel: 4:52pm On Mar 19, 2012
Okoro, omo ajokuta mo mumi
Re: I Am Obsessed With consuming sand!! by Daresh(f): 5:48pm On Mar 19, 2012
Op, I understand you too well! My own obsession was white powder. Specifically Tony Montana powder. I would buy the big container and lick everything complete. I used to hide it in my wardrobe underneath all the clothes. I finally stopped when I was preg with my son cos I was worried about hurting him.

1 Like

Re: I Am Obsessed With consuming sand!! by Natasha2(f): 6:26pm On Mar 19, 2012
4wardever you be winch grin
Re: I Am Obsessed With consuming sand!! by Lovexme(m): 6:29pm On Mar 19, 2012
I thought only kids eat sand? undecided
Re: I Am Obsessed With consuming sand!! by echobee(f): 6:46pm On Mar 19, 2012
need to see a deliverance minister
Re: I Am Obsessed With consuming sand!! by Lovexme(m): 6:51pm On Mar 19, 2012
Stressors such as
maternal deprivation, family issues, parental neglect,
pregnancy, poverty, and a disorganized family
structure are strongly linked to pica.

@OP, which would you say your craving for sand is linked to?
Re: I Am Obsessed With consuming sand!! by Gudiza(m): 7:05pm On Mar 19, 2012
you go oyinbo land go catch exotic disease. congrats

i blame ur papa im 4 don give u beta wire/koboko dat tym.

Anyway, now ur special.....don't give up. Nigerians are renowned for being fetish so forget these posters here. Nothing wrong being weird, it's all training. Some days back i read of this oyinbo who has a knack for drinking petrol. keep this up and who knows, you may hit public/guinness book of records grinding rocks and metals. Ever heard of the guy that digests metal, I want to encourage you. Don't give up. Good things can come out of this place too. I am counting on you.

A lot of bar can come out of this!!! **siks** **wink wink**
Re: I Am Obsessed With consuming sand!! by kandiikane(m): 7:38pm On Mar 19, 2012
@gudiza,Stop being ignorant, its not because of oyinboland. This 'pica' has affected me since childhood.

@lovexme, that list u put on there has no medical research or certification behind it so therefore, I assume I suffer from iron deficiency.
Re: I Am Obsessed With consuming sand!! by shadrach77: 8:03pm On Mar 19, 2012
i can see a lot of people on here have been advising the poster to visit TB JOSHUA which makes me wonder if he is the only deliverance minister in town - It now appears as though, the poster of this article is part of a plan to promote TB JOSHUA's church on this forum. I think he deliberately came on here to feed us with a ficticious tale, and his collaborators, who are pretending to advice him are now coming here to advice him to visit TB JOSHUA. The poster and his TB JOSHUA advisers are all working towards one goal, promoting their church embarassed lipsrsealed undecided kiss cry
Re: I Am Obsessed With consuming sand!! by Nobody: 8:35pm On Mar 19, 2012
Interesting . . .
Very low maintenance smiley. So instead of, say, a jewelry, you I could just pack sand inside celophine from the beach and give you for your birthday? I think I like that tongue
Re: I Am Obsessed With consuming sand!! by azpekuliar: 9:23pm On Mar 19, 2012
kandiikane: So, as children many of us have consumed substances that are "non-nutritive". Eg. Chalk, dirt, mucus etc. I use to eat sand and I thought I have gotten over it but anytime I see pictures of fresh sand I get the urge to eat sand and it drives me mad when I cannot get hold of any. The reasons why I do not just go out in the streets to gather sand is because I require a certain type of sand. White clean sand, that type you see at the beach or in the sahara. I don't like looking at images of sand or videos for a prolonged period of time because I get really agitated when I see it and I cannot access the sand. It's like a smoker going a day without a cigarette. undecided I just want to find out whether any of you ate or eat weird things as a child or adults. I am going on holiday soon and I know I will be in paradise because of the abundance of fresh beach sand.Imagine, what my honeymoon would be like. Sand, sand, sex, sand- absolute heaven grin undecided So is there any harm to eating sand. Mind you, I would only eat fresh white sand. I am quite picky with what I eat. tongue

Hmm. I think i can relate with your obsession with ' non-nutritive' snacks. At almost thirty myself, I still pick my nose, and eat the dried mucus when no one's looking and still bite and chew my nails! Tried to no avail to wean myself of this habits especially the later, only to relapse after a few months. cry
kandiikane: So, as children many of us have consumed substances that are "non-nutritive". Eg. Chalk, dirt, mucus etc. I use to eat sand and I thought I have gotten over it but anytime I see pictures of fresh sand I get the urge to eat sand and it drives me mad when I cannot get hold of any. The reasons why I do not just go out in the streets to gather sand is because I require a certain type of sand. White clean sand, that type you see at the beach or in the sahara. I don't like looking at images of sand or videos for a prolonged period of time because I get really agitated when I see it and I cannot access the sand. It's like a smoker going a day without a cigarette. undecided I just want to find out whether any of you ate or eat weird things as a child or adults. I am going on holiday soon and I know I will be in paradise because of the abundance of fresh beach sand.Imagine, what my honeymoon would be like. Sand, sand, sex, sand- absolute heaven grin undecided So is there any harm to eating sand. Mind you, I would only eat fresh white sand. I am quite picky with what I eat. tongue

Hmm. I think i can relate with your obsession with ' non-nutritive' snacks. At almost thirty myself, I still pick my nose, and eat the dried mucus when no one's looking and still bite and chew my nails! Tried to no avail to wean myself of this habits especially the later, only to relapse after a few months.
Re: I Am Obsessed With consuming sand!! by dasparrow: 9:26pm On Mar 19, 2012
Ijogz K: The devil wanna use ur appendices to get you to hell....

LOL, so true grin
Re: I Am Obsessed With consuming sand!! by Nobody: 9:43pm On Mar 19, 2012
azpekuliar:

Hmm. I think i can relate with your obsession with ' non-nutritive' snacks. At almost thirty myself, I still pick my nose, and eat the dried mucus when no one's looking and still bite and chew my nails! Tried to no avail to wean myself of this habits especially the later, only to relapse after a few months. cry

undecided undecided undecided Now I see why folk don't put their pics up on here.
Re: I Am Obsessed With consuming sand!! by kandiikane(m): 9:48pm On Mar 19, 2012
Natasha, tonight sleep with your eyes open oo! angry tongue

@shadrach, yes pastor joshua paid me to advertise for him. Rubbish!

@2buff, hm, I wish it was that easy. I might having cravings for sand but the maintenance is very high. tongue
Re: I Am Obsessed With consuming sand!! by Nobody: 10:00pm On Mar 19, 2012
kandiikane: Natasha, tonight sleep with your eyes open oo! angry tongue

@shadrach, yes pastor joshua paid me to advertise for him. Rubbish!

@2buff, hm, I wish it was that easy. I might having cravings for sand but the maintenance is very high. tongue

Okay, I'll pack the sand inside a nice looking gift-box for you. That better? grin grin
Re: I Am Obsessed With consuming sand!! by kandiikane(m): 10:07pm On Mar 19, 2012
No,pack it in a nice looking box with diamonds on top cheesy
Re: I Am Obsessed With consuming sand!! by Nobody: 10:11pm On Mar 19, 2012
kandiikane: No,pack it in a nice looking box with diamonds on top cheesy

But... but you'll just throw the box away. undecided
How about I mix crushed diamonds into the sand instead? grin
Re: I Am Obsessed With consuming sand!! by kandiikane(m): 10:33pm On Mar 19, 2012
Ahaha, I don't want to get piles. Just make the diamonds into a necklace or you can just get me raw uncut diamonds.
Re: I Am Obsessed With consuming sand!! by bestlife(m): 10:44pm On Mar 19, 2012
4wardever: Stop it now cos not only can it damage your teeth, it can lead to gastrointestinal problems such as constipation, abdominal pain, vomiting, loss of appetite, and diarrhea.

BTW, since it was one of your childhood indulgence, you should have gotten over it by now or graduated to eating gravel or rocks. Seriously now, you need help!!!

A word is enough for the wise.
.sometimes pple forget this nt a joke section,guy u funny die bt its the truth u are telling hm
Re: I Am Obsessed With consuming sand!! by Nobody: 10:48pm On Mar 19, 2012
But seriously, OP is probably a victim of "slap-and-chop-sand" grin grin grin
But this one is strong oo as it has not worn off yet.
Re: I Am Obsessed With consuming sand!! by kandiikane(m): 10:54pm On Mar 19, 2012
2buff: But seriously, OP is probably a victim of "slap-and-chop-sand" grin grin grin
But this one is strong oo as it has not worn off yet.
Waka!
Re: I Am Obsessed With consuming sand!! by dallyemmy: 11:03pm On Mar 19, 2012
That is quite unfortunately! I have seen about two people delivered from such. Just get to bible believing church, and call on Jesus Christ to deliver you. It is not natural, please. God did not create you to eat sand. It shall be well with you!
Re: I Am Obsessed With consuming sand!! by Docosward(m): 7:19am On Mar 20, 2012
Damysa: I also ate sand as a kid. once in a while especially when am pregnant, sometimes when it drizzles and am near a red clay sand there is this aroma I percieve and am just tempted to take a pinch of sand into my mouth or smell it an throw it away.

But 4 u eating sand outrightly, it calls 4 concern. But how do u eat it sef, u just pack it into ur mouth and be chewing or just swallow it.
@ Damisa u too need help pls go to scoan in lagos urgently its demonic, if not it will killed u.
Re: I Am Obsessed With consuming sand!! by 1luvkipsus: 7:26am On Mar 20, 2012
Try & get a gizzard...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Drop A Suggestion On How To Solve The NMA Vs Johesu Issue? / Lady Welcomes Twins After Bleeding For 2month Of Pregnancy Rejected By Boyfriend / Re-bathing With Salt To Prevent Ebola Virus.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.