Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,025 members, 7,863,689 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 11:46 PM

Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? - Foreign Affairs (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? (183817 Views)

Why Are They So Many White People In Accra? / Why Are White People Claiming Africa ? / South Africa Is Racist Towards White People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (162) (Go Down)

Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by yeswecan(m): 8:20am On May 04, 2013
The meaning attached to 'white' and 'black' here is very depressing: it is ahistorical, racist and lend a genetic superiority to whites. It is depressing because this is coming from the 'educated' strand of the masses.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by kgr28(m): 11:08am On May 04, 2013
DictatorZAR:

Look at this fool againtongue

Nigeria receives over £230m each year from UK goverment and the money goes directly to corrupt officialstongue
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2235488/Britain-wasting-230m-aid-Nigerian-schools-Pupils-left-play-games-teachers-fail-turn-says-report.html

Even a country with a $2trillion economy still receives more aid then South Africa. UK gives India over £200m ($313m) a year.
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20265583

Now you come and talk nonsense about UK ending SA's £19m a year aid please, there are houses in South Africa worth more 10times more then that meager Aid UK gives SA.

By the way did you read that SA told UK that our bilateral relationship will no longer be the same, which means SA don't see those UK fools as important to South Africa anymore, now this can't even be said about Nigeria who goverment is a Western Lap Dog.
this all4naija dickkhead thinks he knows shyt, tell him ntja!!
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 3:21pm On May 04, 2013
yeswecan: The meaning attached to 'white' and 'black' here is very depressing: it is ahistorical, racist and lend a genetic superiority to whites. It is depressing because this is coming from the 'educated' strand of the masses.
There is no credence to what you are alluding to here whatsoever. Given commendations to those who are the rightful people is nothing to be depressing about. It is stating things the way they are. Not until we learn to say the truth we are just another elements of lies. That being said, there is arguably anything that surrounds the development of SA that is not from the whites. That is a complete fact!
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 3:27pm On May 04, 2013
kgr28: this all4naija dickkhead thinks he knows shyt, tell him ntja!!
Probably you did not read those links. They put things in perspective for us all here as they are coming from the horse's mouth. The recipient of those aids were mostly India, Ethiopia, Somalia and host of others. Nigeria hasn't been receiving them at some points in time, possibly due to our political atmosphere by that particular period of time.

Mind you, Nigeria is not among the top three on the list of recipient nations of the UK aids to former colony and developing nations. You are too quick to make your comment without reading the links. I would advice you to read them before coming here with your erroneous view.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 3:38pm On May 04, 2013
xhosanostraZAR:

A ±50yr old super power is still living of foreign aid and it seem will continue to do so for many years to come...nci nci nci

It took SA only 19yrs to turn a bankrupt country into a leading economy of Africa. I know you wish you had whites in your country but for a brief moment forget about them and consider calling Thabo Mbeki to help the giants of africa to turn the corner. Since he's all for Africa and its unity I doubt he'll mind.
I can only do nothing than laugh over this your comment. Where in any of my statement did I seem to be looking for whites to come to Nigeria? If they are willing to come and use their expertise there is nothing wrong in that. They are still leading in the scientific fields of today's world. Nigeria is a free country that respect the rights of every human being, being it white, black, yellow or colored. It is the right reason we do not blame anybody for our misfortunes at most times like the South Africans in this forum.

I don't think we need Thabo Mbeki to help us out in any way. We can only co-operate with him as we are opened to different views and dialogue to move the continent and the people forward. Not like some prideful and bragging citizens of SA, who would seat on their poor a$$ beating their chests on how much development they have achieved. Forgetting the past is like forgetting what has become of that nation with the help of Nigeria and other African countries, so that they can enjoy the freedom they enjoy today. So, don't burn the picture of your past for the simple reason of over-joy. It might as well means creating enmity of those who made it possible for you.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by yeswecan(m): 6:28pm On May 04, 2013
all4naija: There is no credence to what you are alluding to here whatsoever. Given commendations to those who are the rightful people is nothing to be depressing about. It is stating things the way they are. Not until we learn to say the truth we are just another elements of lies. That being said, there is arguably anything that surrounds the development of SA that is not from the whites. That is a complete fact!

What is truth if devoid of historical content? How does one state things as they are when you cannot engage with how they came to be? Indeed, in social discourses 'the way things are,' are nothing other than 'the way they came to be' because it is ever changing. Reminds me of a vintage TV program i saw recently where whites in the US were complaining bitterly about affirmative action; " we are being discriminated against" they correctly chanted because they saw it from the NOW.. You can only see things the way they are when observing the natural world-- or perhaps something abstract. Your problem, all4naija, is that you speak of South Africa like it is something you can observe and report on, only from the NOW.

The truth is, South Africa was locked into a Dual System that ran out of steam in 1994 . Those you referred to as 'blacks' were systematically locked into a circle of diminishing returns, poverty passivity and psychological exploitation. They were pushed into the lower end of the dual system- while part of the extracted wealth was used to create capital for those you referred to as "whites". If you see it this way you'd have a different definition of whites and blacks that doesn't involve genetic qualities but empty words that could be properly filled up with historical events which created the contemporary world. Except, you are arguing that the white man is different from the black man- in terms of mental capacity- if not, then what do you mean by whites and blacks?

By extension South Africa is a perfect model to measure the wealth that was taken away from the continent, only because in its case part of the wealth was left behind. I mean physical and mental wealth. The way we easily forget about the past, and how we got to this place, and quickly moved on into creating a world from the NOW is the reason Africa is stagnated or perhaps regressing. This is because the power relations that characterised colonisation is ever present and more secured.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 7:34pm On May 04, 2013
yeswecan:

What is truth if devoid of historical content? How does one state things as they are when you cannot engage with how they came to be? Indeed, in social discourses 'the way things are,' are nothing other than 'the way they came to be' because it is ever changing. Reminds me of a vintage TV program i saw recently where whites in the US were complaining bitterly about affirmative action; " we are being discriminated against" they correctly chanted because they saw it from the NOW.. You can only see things the way they are when observing the natural world-- or perhaps something abstract. Your problem, all4naija, is that you speak of South Africa like it is something you can observe and report on, only from the NOW.

The truth is, South Africa was locked into a Dual System that ran out of steam in 1994 . Those you referred to as 'blacks' were systematically locked into a circle of diminishing returns, poverty passivity and psychological exploitation. They were pushed into the lower end of the dual system- while part of the extracted wealth was used to create capital for those you referred to as "whites". If you see it this way you'd have a different definition of whites and blacks that doesn't involve genetic qualities but empty words that could be properly filled up with historical events which created the contemporary world. Except, you are arguing that the white man is different from the black man- in terms of mental capacity- if not, then what do you mean by whites and blacks?

By extension South Africa is a perfect model to measure the wealth that was taken away from the continent, only because in its case part of the wealth was left behind. I mean physical and mental wealth. The way we easily forget about the past, and how we got to this place, and quickly moved on into creating a world from the NOW is the reason Africa is stagnated or perhaps regressing. This is because the power relations that characterised colonisation is ever present and more secured.
Huh, huh! What a digressed piece of writing. This your comment never answered question that remains unanswered. I doubt you even open your mind to read what I wrote. If you do and ignore what my comment is all about then you must be one tricky fellow who support some ideology of Afrocentrism as to skin color. That by itself is a crime against humanity. I reasoned you to be among those who don't see beyond their nose and harbor hate of the past deeds with an unforgiving spirit. That I will not agree with in any way to move Africa forward nor stating things they way the are than the way they were in this forum - as I have repeatedly mentioned in this particular thread.

You don't have to teach me about your history and Apartheid regime that inflicted pains and hatred towards the indigenous people of that society. The fight was a long run where both blacks and whites had contributed their parts to make sure it is finally put at bay and let the indigenious people take the right to their destiny. That we have seen they have failed woefully to do. It has even come to a point where blacks are now hunting blacks down in that society. For instance attacking innocent Nigerians on the streets as well as other African immigrants. It would be a surprising thing for you to know that a Nigerian diplomat was recently followed from the airport and shot at by South African criminals, which most of your people were trying to point accusing fingers at Nigerians to be responsible. This has brought to the table of those who care much about Africa by their words of mouth are now indirectly destroying it with their actions.

Before coming here to consolidate your views on the matter about SA and its development you must have ample evidences to prove beyond reasonable doubt that your views are on the right track. That, you have not done with this your comment. It is more of beating around the but to arrive at the fact with has been looking you in the eye. To further explain that, no matter what point you are trying to pass across at the end of the day your are still coming to arrive at the SA development with the whites completely responsible for it in all ramifications. It is what I have been trying to explain you and your people in my previous comments so far. That is something the South African blacks failed to give credence to than seeing only the past injustices that were done by these white people. The reason, I keep saying we must state things they way they are. We can not continue dwelling in the past and expect to move forward in the contemporary, when we know that nothing of the past is physically all rather tangle in the physical part of development of any nation than taking a cue from it to buttress what the present has to offer. I can see the reason why there will remain a huge gap in the inequality of SA for this simple point. Not until the black accept the fact and take the future with vigorous determination, empower the poor and create wealth, it is going to be another long line of reliance on the whites of that society with animosity, while stabbing themselves at the back. That we have seen in some instances in that society. The near distance past incidence of Marakina is one of them.We remember Julius Malema plotting to accelerate the incidence. And, I think others are lurking around on the various SA cities streets ready to unleashed harms on the innocents, most especially, the innocent Nigerians.

If we are to go by your world view on colonization, there is no single country colonized without a background horror of what come with imperialism. It is a ghost of the past. I think the time should be blamed on it rather that skin color. History has proved to all of us the past has always had its bad and good sides for every man, woman child and people. It should not be the reason to hate and continuously cry for way to harbor hate within us. Indeed, we are not in the generation past, for such old things are gone and the new we have to embrace with confidence, as to reality we know. That should be what worth pursuing and holding on to because it is tangle. It is the way things are! There is nothing you can do about it as long as you are already part of it.

It is equally required of you to make changes and learn to be civilized and know when to air your grievances and fight for your rights. Not by resorting to burning of human beings alive as we have seen in the xenophobic attacks nor taking arms as we have seen of the Marakina that resulted in the lost of over 33 miner lives in just a day. What society is SA building with such world view? That to me is question that needs an urgent answer, attention yet your people are no looking into to save the future.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by paniki(m): 8:04pm On May 04, 2013
All4naija is not the first Nigerian to be obsessed with South Africa. I doubt he's the last. What we need is a South African who will display the same kind of obsession with Nigeria, for the sake of equality.

1 Like

Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by yeswecan(m): 9:02pm On May 04, 2013
@all4naija

A point of information; I have never been to South Africa. YES, I'm Nigerian and i could hardly recognise myself from your description. You made some valid points but you did your best to sidestep the crux of our argument.

How do you define 'whites' and ' blacks' in this context? assuming they were empty words, what would you fill them up with? ( Genetic or historical?) if you take it simply as colour of skin then the logical extension is clear and simple. Please give me a simple definition of the 'whites' sustaining the development of SA and the lazy 'blacks'. I don't think you can afford to provide a genetic definition - the more you think about it, the more you realise it has to be historic. The whites in SA could easily be a class of blacks who ran the apartheid system. I dare suggest that there is something close to a class apartheid system in Britain that extended right from the empire; they receive so many privileges by virtue of their "noble birth" for example house of Lord membership e.t.c. Such cannot be defined in race terms but on some other ground.

So, I repeat, the meaning attached to whites and blacks in this thread is ahistorical and racist.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 9:45pm On May 04, 2013
yeswecan: @all4naija

A point of information; I have never been to South Africa. YES, I'm Nigerian and i could not recognise myself from your description. You made some valid points but you did your best to sidestep the crux of our argument.

How do you define 'whites' and ' blacks' in this context? assuming they were empty words, what would you fill them up with? ( Genetic or historical?) if you take it simply as colour of skin then the logical extension is clear and simple. Please give me a simple definition of the 'whites' sustaining the development of SA and the lazy 'blacks'. I don't think you can afford to provide a genetic definition - the more you think about it, the more you realise it has to be historic. The whites in SA could easily be a class of blacks who ran the apartheid system. I dare suggest that there is something close to a class apartheid system in Britain that extended right from the empire; they receive so many privileges by virtue of their "noble birth" for example house of Lord membership e.t.c. Such cannot be defined in race terms but on some other ground.

So, I repeat, the meaning attached to whites and blacks in this thread is ahistorical and racist.
Asking me such question is like begging the question, repeating the same thing all over again as in circumlocution.

You might want to blind yourself to the fact that human skin color is a reality of things in this life we all live in yet it is not an answer to why black is seen as color for subhumans. From the society that first seen the different colors of human to dividing them into one that is inferior and superior they all have same view to make one superior to the other. If you cannot argue on the clear truth of reality than running after DNA(DeoxyriboNucleic Acid, the gene that carries heredity traits)then you can as well run after what differentiate humans from other animals at the DNA level.

I found you comment to be funny when you are going about it with a sense of not knowing such thing as black and white really existing in our society despite your pretense to ignore it. The truth is that it has been one of the reason blacks are seen not up to the task when it comes to development and organizability in the scheme of things in this world we all find ourselves. Now, that sounds philosophical. On the scientific aspect how that affect human as a race as to how it really affects the perception of many can be subjective, as to the angle you view it from. We have seen black refusing to fight this psychological battle to get out of that section they have be apportioned without doing anything to make changes due to this perception of color of the skin(like same cups with different colors and yet you prefer one color for some reason) that has given advantage to one more than the other. We can see why color that is different from black can take advantages it to the detriment of even the very future we all yearn of(which I don't like but the situation of things warrant it). To me human skin color has nothing important to do with superiority in the rightful sense but actions have proven time again and again one is better that the other in many regards. So, it is no longer a thing of science but of psychology. And, that may extend to the future with little importance as we all come to term with the way to move humanity forward(by one carrying the other along). On the sideline, as to what you are alluding to my question is. How many blacks can you point to are making milestones in the area of sciences?

On the issue of whites sustaining SA cannot be over-emphasized. It absolutely clear whites control the economy wealth of that nation, even after the black empowerment program. The infrastructural development of that country is the handwork of the whites in the past and present. They only used blacks for unskilled labors that has not make any different to be noticed in any way positive. If not, we would have seen such development replicated in other black dominated countries of Africa. Those are clear evidences of the sustainability of SA development still largely depending on the white people of that society.

To conclude it all, racism is not all by itself actively positing not until many things which give it the power to become what it is are brought into action. So, it is a thing in doing that just merely stating it. We have seen how that has divided many societies around the world. Whether historically or otherwise, yet we all find ourselves responding to it by our actions, views and understanding. That must be something we have to addressed as a human race not as in difference of race as in Caucasoid, Mongoloid and Negroid.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by paniki(m): 10:13pm On May 04, 2013
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 10:26pm On May 04, 2013
all4naija: I can only do nothing than laugh over this your comment. Where in any of my statement did I seem to be looking for whites to come to Nigeria? If they are willing to come and use their expertise there is nothing wrong in that. They are still leading in the scientific fields of today's world. Nigeria is a free country that respect the rights of every human being, being it white, black, yellow or colored. It is the right reason we do not blame anybody for our misfortunes at most times like the South Africans in this forum.

I don't think we need Thabo Mbeki to help us out in any way. We can only co-operate with him as we are opened to different views and dialogue to move the continent and the people forward. Not like some prideful and bragging citizens of SA, who would seat on their poor a$$ beating their chests on how much development they have achieved. Forgetting the past is like forgetting what has become of that nation with the help of Nigeria and other African countries, so that they can enjoy the freedom they enjoy today. So, don't burn the picture of your past for the simple reason of over-joy. It might as well means creating enmity of those who made it possible for you.

Okay y'all don't need anybody's help. Gotcha.

Tell me when you decide to stand by someone, albeit never asked; you do so out the goodness of your heart OR you only offer expecting something in return?
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by 14(m): 10:27pm On May 04, 2013
Like Nigeria never had white population before, those old decaying infrustructure were built by the very same whites. But the different is Nigeria chased them away just like Zimbabwe. SA never chased white folks away. Any country that was once colonised, most of their infrustructure was built by whites.

Many people are not aware that most of the whites in SA come from other African countries, once those countries gained inependent, they ran to SA, frim Mozambique to Kenya and DRC
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 10:29pm On May 04, 2013
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 10:32pm On May 04, 2013
1,2:
Like Nigeria never had white population before, those old decaying infrustructure were built by the very same whites. But the different is Nigeria chased them away just like Zimbabwe. SA never chased white folks away. Any country that was once colonised, most of their infrustructure was built by whites.

Many people are not aware that most of the whites in SA come from other African countries, once those countries gained inependent, they ran to SA, frim Mozambique to Kenya and DRC
Are you dreaming or just guessing? Can you point to the decaying infrastructure you are talking about?

Another laughable lie. SA whites have been there in their huge number.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 10:33pm On May 04, 2013
xhosanostraZAR:

Okay y'all got this. Gotcha.

Tell me this though when you decide to stand by someone, albeit never asked; you do so out of the goodness of your heart OR you only offer expecting something in return?

Got me on what? Does welcoming white people in our society is a bad thing or is an avenue of seeking for help?
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 10:45pm On May 04, 2013
all4naija: Got me on what? Does welcoming white people in our society is a bad thing or is an avenue of seeking for help?

Gotcha - as in I get your point.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by yeswecan(m): 12:34am On May 05, 2013
all4naija:

To me human skin color has nothing important to do with superiority in the rightful sense but actions have proven time again and again one is better that the other in many regards. So, it is no longer a thing of science but of psychology. And, that may extend to the future with little importance as we all come to term with the way to move humanity forward(by one carrying the other along). On the sideline, as to what you are alluding to my question is. How many blacks can you point to are making milestones in the area of sciences?

How do you mean by "actions has proven that one race is better than the other?" what is the benchmark to measure what is better?? Is there a natural standard? AND how do you define the term 'better'? Is this definition value neutral or devoid of [b]power [/b]in its formation? You need to learn how knowledge is shaped by power - and you cannot have the former without the latter... Knowledge is power in the sense that what you think you know serve to reinforce a power statement/relations. Aristotle thought Athenians were more superior to non-Antenians ; John Locke thought Africans were "beasts who have no houses without heads, having their mouth and eyes in their breasts" - these were knowledge (facts) in their time. It is common practice for THE POWERFUL to create his image by labelling others -- Men labelled women as weak and irrational ; most women believed this was the case throughout the ages. You have bought into the notion that blacks are inferior - it is loaded in every word of your comment.

Your submission that blacks are not making milestones in science therefore they are inferior is too silly for words . . too eurocentric for a debate. On a practical note; you must be very simple minded to think that the accented cases of inventions are all there is. I am not a scientist - i can only speak of what i know; the America and French revolutions are often held up as the beacon of freedom through out the ages but the Haitian Revolution (1791–1804) is far more interesting in that light. A General Toussaint L'Ouverture led an army of slaves and overcame an empire - declared the rights of men; what can be more inspiring? overthrowing your king or fighting a colonial power??. The Haitian Revolution was consigned to the dustbin of history; and even our universities in Nigeria teach about the French revolution more than anything else (power-knowledge relationship).This is very deep and you only touch the surface of it . .

Your last comment, in its entirety, was more revealing than it was intended to be; we are obviously coming from different angles - you are only touching the surface, its too light for me to follow, try other layers of analysis. White/black are meaningless terms (fill them up with something); on some level its like Yoruba and Igbo. There is nothing a white man can do that a black man cannot do (and vice versa) if there is any difference in level of performance, it can, and should be explained with something other than colour of skin. The statement 'whites are sustaining the SA economy' is a lazy statement; it focuses on colour as the unit of analysis which suggest that colour is the reason for this. Why would race be the unit of analysis when it reveals nothing other than genetic features? Applying it means genetic differences explains why whites are sustaining the SA economy . . and it doesn't.

1 Like

Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 2:23pm On May 05, 2013
yeswecan:

How do you mean by "actions has proven that one race is better than the other?" what is the benchmark to measure what is better?? Is there a natural standard? AND how do you define the term 'better'? Is this definition value neutral or devoid of [b]power [/b]in its formation? You need to learn how knowledge is shaped by power - and you cannot have the former without the latter... Knowledge is power in the sense that what you think you know serve to reinforce a power statement/relations. Aristotle thought Athenians were more superior to non-Antenians ; John Locke thought Africans were "beasts who have no houses without heads, having their mouth and eyes in their breasts" - these were knowledge (facts) in their time. It is common practice for THE POWERFUL to create his image by labelling others -- Men labelled women as weak and irrational ; most women believed this was the case throughout the ages. You have bought into the notion that blacks are inferior - it is loaded in every word of your comment.

Your submission that blacks are not making milestones in science therefore they are inferior is too silly for words . . too eurocentric for a debate. On a practical note; you must be very simple minded to think that the accented cases of inventions are all there is. I am not a scientist - i can only speak of what i know; the America and French revolutions are often held up as the beacon of freedom through out the ages but the Haitian Revolution (1791–1804) is far more interesting in that light. A General Toussaint L'Ouverture led an army of slaves and overcame an empire - declared the rights of men; what can be more inspiring? overthrowing your king or fighting a colonial power??. The Haitian Revolution was consigned to the dustbin of history; and even our universities in Nigeria teach about the French revolution more than anything else (power-knowledge relationship).This is very deep and you only touch the surface of it . .

Your last comment, in its en from from tirety, was more revealing than it was intended to be; we are obviously coming very different angles - you are only touching the surface, its too light for me to follow, try other layers of analysis. White/black are meaningless terms (fill them up with something); on some level its like Yoruba and Igbo. There is nothing a white man can do that a black man cannot do (and vice versa) if there is any difference in level of performance, it can, and should be explained with something other than colour of skin. The statement 'whites are sustaining the SA economy' is a lazy statement; it focuses on colour as the unit of analysis which suggest that colour is the reason for this. Why would race be the unit of analysis when it reveals nothing other than genetic features? Applying it means genetic differences explains why whites are sustaining the SA economy . . and it doesn't.
I can see you refused to understand my comment. Open your mind and read what I wrote. And, if you don't know what actions mean then it is all up to you to Google it and apply my comment. This is the simple reason the black has been view as less likely to fail to endeavor to do something that will have a huge impact on the human race. That you are doing here. Léopold Sédar Senghor did the same thing you are doing and Wole Soyinka was quick to see beyond the merely praising of Africa and black race, whereas deep down many things have not been forestalled to arguably qualify it for what has been claimed. You are doing the same thing here. Please, spare me this idea to just feel good about your color when nothing tangible has be achieved through it.

It is the same problem that is giving rise to what is happening in SA and been replicated in other black nations around the world. No one doing anything whatsoever to change this very idea you are passing around. "The mind is a terrible thing to waste", said Martin Luther King Junior.

I am very busy now. I will respond fulling to this your comment with eye-openers later.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by kgr28(m): 9:36am On May 06, 2013
I think we should LOAN white south africans to nigeria just for a year...since they worship them, they can transform nigeria in a year, plus their 50+ years of their black government failed to transform nigeria and they are still failing.

1 Like

Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by AwodwaGyanOniwe: 10:45am On May 06, 2013
@Morpheus24
DNA samples taken recently show that Xhosas have higher Khoisan DNA sample than the CAPE METRO AREA coloured who are very diversed(Khoisan,Bantu,European,Asian,other ancestry).

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/files/colouredcontext.jpg
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by AwodwaGyanOniwe: 10:46am On May 06, 2013
@Morpheus24

I have been reading your threads and think u have some interest in Xhosashuh
Im Ghanaian(Larteh woman, today shes a teacher in the Eastern Cape) and South African descent/Xhosa(doctor) father who went to exile in UK. Most people don't know that APARTHEID IS ABOUT PROPAGANDA. For example coloured people in Cape Town were made to believe that Xhosas were new to Cape Town. That is highly untrue.

[b]SA History

Source: cape-slavery-heritage.iblog.co.za
The earliest Xhosa connections to the Western Cape

Dominant discourse amongst white South Africans and to some extent amongst Coloured people too, tends to portray that the Xhosa are alien recent arrivals in Cape Town. The facts are very different, showing deep kinship ties between Coloured and Xhosa people. There was no Chinese wall between Khoi and amaXhosa as colonial ignorance of local culture and white nationalist propaganda suggested.

In the 1650s at the time of the arrival of Jan van Riebeeck, the Western Cape Quena (Khoi) honoured the Chobona (or Coboqua, or Khoebaha) King as their paramount chief. AmaXhosa visitors and traders frequented Quena camps and intermarriage was widespread

The Chobona were one of two wealthy mixed Xhosa-Quena polities based in the Eastern Cape and stretching in influence to the Western Cape which they considered to be their lands and was accepted by Quena chieftainships in the Cape Peninsula. (the other was the Gonaqua) This was acknowledged by Jan van Riebeeck in his writings but something that was never acknowledged by modern white historians until the 1980s when some academics finally broke the mould. Van Riebeeck refers to the Khoebaha as ‘supreme ruler of the whole Hottentot (Khoi) race` and ‘overlord of all the kings and chiefs of the country`. The erroneous notion of the Xhosa being alien to African culture in the Western Cape was an ideological construct which emerged much later to justify white claims to land unpopulated by black people who were then magically separated as a ‘race` from Khoi people

The hierarchy of Quena tribes and clans in the South Western Cape saw the Gorachoqua and other small splinter groups of Peninsulars being subject to the chieftainship of the Goringhaiqua. Of equal status to the Goringhaiqua were the Guriqua also known as the Chariguriqua, and both were subjects of the Chainoqua regional chieftainship. The Chainoqua were extensively intermarried with the amaXhosa. The amaXhosa regularly frequented Chainoqua camps, traded and shared know-how. The Chainoqua, like the Hessequa, Chamqua, Omaqua Attaqua, Caqua and Houtunqua all were subject to the Hamcumqua (or Inqua) King. The Hamcumqua in the Central Cape also had strong Xhosa relationships. From the time of Xhosa monarch Togu (1590-1620) the From the time of Xhosa monarch Togu (1590-1620) the Hamcumqua in turn honoured the paramount status of the Chobona in the east. Note: This outline does not cover in detail the Namaquas of the North Western Cape except in showing that the Attaqua and other groups also regarded the Hamcumqua and Chobona as paramount authority. But the Namaqua also had strong relationships with the Tswana-Bricqua.

While official histories of the past project that slave labour was used ‘instead of` Khoi labour, it is reported as widespread that in the new territories of Paarl, Franschhoek, Stellenbosch and on frontier farms, farmers supplemented scarce slave labour with Khoi labour. Adam Tas reported in 1705 the use of teams of Khoi men moving from farm to farm to participate in harvesting. Others report on Khoi having children with slaves on their farms. The neat boxes of separation projected by ideologically doctored history unfortunately still resides in many minds and can be found to be widely projected in tourism materials today. In the period 1652-1700 much of Dutch settler contact with the amaXhosa, other than shipwreck survivors, was through Quena interlocutors. Their initial contacts and agreements were with fairly petty chiefs quite low down in the ranking order. Only in 1867 the King of the Hamcumqua initiated direct contact by sending an emissary to the Cape government. His brother Gaukou of the Hessequa also opened up communication directly with Governor Simon van der Stel. European direct contact with the amaXhosa thereafter replaces the Khoi-Xhosa relationship as the main means by which amaXhosa arrive in the Peninsula. A series of aggressive incursions of Europeans into Xhosa territory began in 1702 with a group of mercenaries and continued over the next two centuries. AmaXhosa would end up as prisoners and pressed labour in Cape Town until the Apartheid regime introduced pass laws and Coloured-White labour preference policies in the Cape after 1948. Far from the oft repeated refrain that Xhosa people only started coming to the Western Cape from the former Bantustans in recent years and should be regarded as aliens, all the evidence shows that the Xhosa have a historical relationship as old as everybody else in the Western Cape. The incident of 1702 is when fourty-five white mercenaries, (mainly unmarried men from the lower echelons of white society financed by a wealthy farmer) each accompanied by a Khoi servant left Stellenbosch for deep into the eastern interior. They launched an unofficial raid into Xhosa territory killing many Xhosa and Hamcumqua in their path and seized many cattle. It is likely that some prisoners would have been taken as this was common practice for various practical reasons. While officially frowned upon by the VOC authorities many wealthy farmers benefitted from these raids as it improved their breeding stock. The record of this first act of aggression is recorded in the raiders account of the raid entitled[/b]
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by AwodwaGyanOniwe: 10:49am On May 06, 2013
@Morpheus24
Heres another helpful map of AFRICAN GROUPS DNA SAMPLES. Whites for obvious reseans they are left OUT grin grin grin grin grin grin

Orange:Niger-Congo Group
Green:Khoisan

http://scienceblogs.com/geneticfuture/wp-content/blogs.dir/274/files/2012/04/i-274aeb3170f0cfcbbc64f4bbc5cecb0f-tishkoff_africa_map.jpg
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 3:43pm On May 07, 2013
South Africa will be in deep sh*t without the white people, that is very obvious. It will be far worst than any nation within the Southern African enclave or region. That is a complete fact! grin grin grin grin
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 9:16pm On May 08, 2013
Too bad white Saffas are never gonna see how much one naija desperately wants them to come and transform his country. Sies tog sad
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 10:56pm On May 08, 2013
xhosanostraZAR: Too bad white Saffas are never gonna see how much one naija desperately wants them to come and transform his country. Sies tog sad
That is not what I am alluding to here. I am alluding to the fact and the reality on ground in your country that the white is responsible for the development of the country in all ramifications.

There has never been a time where the blacks in that society can lay claim to the development of that country. At least, not in our life time. If there is going to be anything the Xhosa or Zulus are going to lay claim to it will be the barbaric inclinations we have seen exhibited in the past. That will include the attacks on innocent Nigerians on the streets and the ruthless fighting for increase in the wages for miner that led to the death of over 33 people on a single day. There could have been better ways to address these issues from a civilized perspective, the modern man way of reasoning so that the problems can be solve once and for all. But, they choose to take the savagery way. To do that as time is still the bane of things to come, they are to put in place mechanism to encourage youths in engaging activities which will make them to be responsible citizens. Like developing sports, providing incentive for them to get educated and making it mandatory to get jobs at the end of it all. Next will be to get at a drawing-board to put at bay the hate crimes on innocent foreigners through dialogue and orientation. There should be provision for students exchanges within different countries of Africa to expose this home-grown or bred youths to be aware of the surroundings beyond their own.

Those have not left out the facts of those whose capacity has immensely contributed to the development of that society, that is, the white people of South Africa. Though, there is a sad history behind what have happened in the past, the same can be said of all colonized nations of the world - the indigenous are always at the receiving end. It is time the black South Africans commend these people efforts and forge ahead. And, they should stop bragging to Nigerians about their country because there is nothing they did to develop that country to the stage it is today. I think Nigerians are even contributing to that country more than many black South African brothers and sisters.

To conclude it all, if the blacks of that society must hold their heads high, it should be done with humility and respect for their big brothers from Nigeria. Then, they will gradually master the act of smartness and travel out to see the world beyond their own fool's paradise.

Thank you.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 1:01am On May 09, 2013
xhosanostraZAR: Too bad white Saffas are never gonna see how much one naija desperately wants them to come and transform his country. Sies tog sad

He seems to be counting on the chinese to do that, looks like he's written his own folks of completely.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 1:16am On May 09, 2013
zetdee:

He seems to be counting on the chinese to do that, looks like he's written his own folks of completely.
You are misleading yourself to be thinking that is what I am talking about. If your response to your colleague comment is to make mockery of me you are only doing that out of your own ignorance. It only proves my point further that it is the white people who are responsible for SA development. I wonder what the blacks have been doing all this while, even at the hem of affairs and the president has been black since 1991.

You are not stating things they way they are if you want to sidetrack this topic with this your very comment.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 1:22am On May 09, 2013
all4naija: That is not what I am alluding to here. I am alluding to the fact and the reality on ground in your country that the white is responsible for the development of the country in all ramifications.

There has never been a time where the blacks in that society can lay claim to the development of that country. At least, not in our life time. If there is going to be anything the Xhosa or Zulus are going to lay claim to it will be the barbaric inclinations we have seen exhibited in the past. That will include the attacks on innocent Nigerians on the streets and the ruthless fighting for increase in the wages for miner that led to the death of over 33 people on a single day. There could have been better ways to address these issues from a civilized perspective, the modern man way of reasoning so that the problems can be solve once and for all. But, they choose to take the savagery way. To do that as time is still the bane of things to come, they are to put in place mechanism to encourage youths in engaging activities which will make them to be responsible citizens. Like developing sports, providing incentive for them to get educated and making it mandatory to get jobs at the end of it all. Next will be to get at a drawing-board to put at bay the hate crimes on innocent foreigners through dialogue and orientation. There should be provision for students exchanges within different countries of Africa to expose this home-grown or bred youths to be aware of the surroundings beyond their own.

Those have not left out the facts of those whose capacity has immensely contributed to the development of that society, that is, the white people of South Africa. Though, there is a sad history behind what have happened in the past, the same can be said of all colonized nations of the world - the indigenous are always at the receiving end. It is time the black South Africans commend these people efforts and forge ahead. And, they should stop bragging to Nigerians about their country because there is nothing they did to develop that country to the stage it is today. I think Nigerians are even contributing to that country more than many black South African brothers and sisters.

To conclude it all, if the blacks of that society must hold their heads high, it should be done with humility and respect for their big brothers from Nigeria. Then, they will gradually master the act of smartness and travel out to see the world beyond their own fool's paradise.

Thank you.

Stop talking about innocent Nigerians on the streets, most Nigerians in SA are into crime thats a fact. Weather it's selling drugs or pirated dvds most Nigerians on the streets of SA commit crime. There are good law abiding Nigerians here and I know a few of them.

Here is a link from a Nigerian in South Africa who though critical of South Africans knows that most Nigerians in SA are criminals.

www.junglejournalist./
2013/01/29/warning-to-nigerians-
coming-to-south-africa-by-chika-
osueze/
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 2:04am On May 09, 2013
all4naija: You are misleading to be thinking that is what I am talking about. If your response to your colleague comment is to make mockery of me you are only doing that out of your own ignorance. It only proves my point further that it is the white people who are responsible for SA development. I wonder what the blacks have been doing all this while, even at the hem of affairs and the president has been black since 1991.

You are not stating things they way they are if you want to sidetrack this topic with this your very comment.

So the major development in the areas that were neglect by the previous government should not be attributed to the present government, by you logic a person living in Soweto should not brag about all the development the area has seen seens the end of apartheid. The major infrastructure rollout in the past decade and still on going should not be attributed to the present government?
It seems you are not only arguing that whites played a major part in where the country is, but that black South African are the lowest of africans due genetic reasons, i saw some nigerian guy suggesting that South African blacks were inferior to Nigerians and other Africans because they have san blood. Is this what you are getting at when you say without the white population South Africa would be far worse than any other African country?

What developments in Nigeria or any other African should be attributed to black people?
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 8:48am On May 09, 2013
all4naija: That is not what I am alluding to here. I am alluding to the fact and the reality on ground in your country that the white is responsible for the development of the country in all ramifications.

Thank you.

Lol...guess a hit dog will holler cheesy
You've be on here for weeks with your repetitive ramblings.

For someone whose never been to SA you sure have a lot to say. You've been told over and over again of what black Saffas have achieved in the past 19yrs...just remove your blinkers and see what everyone except you sees and knows.

The Marikana massarce (your focal point) was an unfortunate incident, but its nothing compared to the savagery happening in your country on a daily basis...civilised people much? Wouldn't you rather use all your "innovative" ideas for the youths of your own country instead? No sane SA(n) would ever consider going to study in any other African country. When we leave SA's shores we usually go to Europe, America or Australia. Sorry but no African country can offer us anything better than what we already have...and am not even bragging here, just stating facts.

Oh lawd!! I can't with the bs! There are more than ±1.2-million Nigerians (documented ones) in SA of which most are nothing but evil criminals and you have the nerve to say they're INNOCENT and have contributed more to my country than the 45-million blacks! The only thing the majority of your bros have contributed to my country, is crime, crime, crime and more crime!!!

Respect is earned boo boo, its not Nigerian's birth right. Your obsession with SA and its past is gonna ruin your brain one day. I'd rather stay in this "paradise" than be a nuisance in somebody else's country. Ta.

1 Like

Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 9:04am On May 09, 2013
all4naija: I wonder what the blacks have been doing all this while, even at the hem of affairs and the president has been black since 1991.

I've been asking myself the same things of your country. I mean its been 50yrs....and still nothing

black president since 1994...told you, you know nothing abt my country.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (162)

Gov. / South African Officers Caught On Camera Having Sex In A Hospital / US Presidential Election 2020 (Live Updates)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 172
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.