Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,269 members, 7,818,927 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:20 AM

Facts that Binds Yorubas and Igbos - We're Brothers! - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Facts that Binds Yorubas and Igbos - We're Brothers! (23626 Views)

Clash Between Yorubas And Nupes In Kwara (Photos) / What Really Are Those Things Common Amongst Us As A People That Binds Us? / Boko Haram Killing Yorubas And Igbos 3-days Expired (pix)! -vanguard Newspaper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Facts that Binds Yorubas and Igbos - We're Brothers! by Abagworo(m): 10:22am On Mar 24, 2012
This Igbo/Yoruba whatever seems to exist only in Lagos or Southwest. Igbos in the East know little about these Awolowo issue. Maybe some older generation do but I have not encountered any.
Re: Facts that Binds Yorubas and Igbos - We're Brothers! by ekpriobong(m): 11:07am On Mar 24, 2012
 like this thread even as it appears being hijacked by our "virtual/online politicians" but  would not just diverge from the original facts the post pointed to be discussed here. Even in AKWACROSS (Akwa Ibom/Cross River unifying force) here,  don't even understand the Igbo/Yoruba language but there are certain things the Igbos would say and 'll just understand somehow maybe due to the action that follows. Once a friend said to the other "Kawa" and the other started moving then  linked it to our own for "Ka" (Efik/Ibibio). In another occasion, one said to the other "Kawa sisö" and the person started walking and running and going fast and immediately  linked that to our own: "Sösöp ka" meaning the action of what the other person did when he was spoken to and how those words sounded. Again, "mmiri" .e water in Igbo is "mmöng" in Efik/Ibibio starting with the same double m. And even recently, when  heard about the title of the late Ikemba .e Eze Ndigbo Gburugburu and the Gburugburu to the way  could understand means All and in Efik/Ibibio, we give "Kpukpru" to that still meaning All but  don't know if am actually right in this one. For our relationship,  have to confess that we love each other especially as neighbors in the same street though inter-marriage is rare because of Igbo tradition. For Yoruba, 've not being to the West before and  don't even understand much in their language but after my language, another  love hearing when spoken is Yoruba especially because of the sinusoidal effects when they talk. But one thing  heard once was when one Yoruba man got annoyed and shouted "Emi" pointing to himself and  said this could also means "Ami" in Efik/Ibibio .e me. But for Igbo,  think we really have a strong connection with them. The little separation (let me not use hatred)  think experience between us is because of nothing more than greed. The Igbos are too greedy and desperate while an average Efik/Ibibio man thinks far from this direction rather they have chosen never to support war even for their own right but always ready and having the believe that life was meant to be enjoyed and they always pursue life in this direction at all times and this is why we make friends easily.  think  should stop here.

1 Like

Re: Facts that Binds Yorubas and Igbos - We're Brothers! by ACM10: 12:20pm On Mar 24, 2012
Re: Facts that Binds Yorubas and Igbos - We're Brothers! by ACM10: 12:20pm On Mar 24, 2012
dayokanu:

Mention one Yoruba warlord leading an army that fled warfront

Your problem is that of myopia and selective amnesia. You must always view every issue that made mention of Yoruba in a compromised manner through your bigotted lens? undecided

Well, Yorubas has not not fought any modern war alone. So there is an acute paucity of reliable historical materials to cite. But I can predict how yorobaman will behave in a war situation by studying their behaviour in peacetime. They are:

1. Ogundipe fled and was usurped by a junior officer, Gowon after the counter-coup of July 1966.

2. Adekunle abandoned Owerri after the poorly-equipped Biafran forces counterattacked to reclaim the town. This led to his replacement from the high command.

3. Abiola fled Nigeria instead of staying back to fight an oppressive Abacha regime to the dismay of other democracy activists like Nelson Mandela.

4. Many democracy activists including Tinubu, Dawodu, Soyinka fled Nigeria instead of confronting Abacha.

5. Recently, Yoruba people were unable to confront the rampaging hausa/fulani thugs deep inside their territory.
Re: Facts that Binds Yorubas and Igbos - We're Brothers! by aljharem(m): 1:18pm On Mar 24, 2012
Beaf:

[size=14pt]You see how stup!d you are? You are such a crazed fool that you can equate ideology and ethnicity!
Fool, what has ideology got to do with ethnicity? shocked shocked shocked
My guy, ideology is not the name of a town near Osogbo o![/size]

One day is one, unu go take laf barb Aregbesola biabia! grin grin grin grin grin

I do not like Tinubu and Aregbosola like you but [size=18pt]MUST ACN SUPPORT PDP BEFORE THEY ARE NOT CONSIDERED AS AN ETHNIC PARTY ?[/size]
Re: Facts that Binds Yorubas and Igbos - We're Brothers! by dayokanu(m): 1:44pm On Mar 24, 2012
Logic Mind:

Mention one Yoruba warlord.

Benjamin Adekunle for a start. You might not know him cos those who should have told you were all shot whether they were moving or not
Re: Facts that Binds Yorubas and Igbos - We're Brothers! by LogicMind: 1:49pm On Mar 24, 2012
dayokanu:

Benjamin Adekunle for a start. You might not know him cos those who should have told you were all shot whether they were moving or not

I was expecting that. I am going to laugh and afterwards I will tell you why. Tiny brain.
Re: Facts that Binds Yorubas and Igbos - We're Brothers! by Beaf: 3:49pm On Mar 24, 2012
ACM10:

Your problem is that of myopia and selective amnesia. You must always view every issue that made mention of Yoruba in a compromised manner through your bigotted lens? undecided

He is an ACN member, its the way they roll; Eko Ile, Gbawe, Dayokanu, Demdem, Capt Barbarosa - they are all the same. embarassed
Re: Facts that Binds Yorubas and Igbos - We're Brothers! by Nobody: 3:59pm On Mar 24, 2012
alj harem: Na wa oooo. The way Igbo people hate yoruba, one would think yorubas have wronged them cry cry cry cry

Well sha, we still love Igbo people cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin

Dude! You ARE Igbo. Smh undecided
Re: Facts that Binds Yorubas and Igbos - We're Brothers! by nduchucks: 4:04pm On Mar 24, 2012
ACM10:

Recently, Yoruba people were unable to confront the rampaging hausa/fulani thugs deep inside their territory.

This commentary is distasteful and smacks of bigotry and inferiority complex. olodo
Re: Facts that Binds Yorubas and Igbos - We're Brothers! by ACM10: 4:23pm On Mar 24, 2012
ndu_chucks:

This commentary is distasteful and smacks of bigotry and inferiority complex. olodo

I got the message that you are trying to convey when you used the word "bigotry". Your people were affected, right? You expect me to eulogize them. Ok.
But what of inferiority complex? I'm lost here, dude. Take a chill pill. Mumu
Re: Facts that Binds Yorubas and Igbos - We're Brothers! by nduchucks: 4:39pm On Mar 24, 2012
ACM10:

I got the message that you are trying to convey when you used the word "bigotry". Your people were affected, right? You expect me to eulogize them. Ok.
But what of inferiority complex? I'm lost here, dude. Take a chill pill. Mumu

It appears as if you are slower than I thought. Only a severe case of inferiority complex could make you people unable to accept defeat graciously, even after 45 years. You people exhibit this complex by your attention seeking threads and posts coupled by a constant fear and trembling of anything Northern. No make me vex o.
Re: Facts that Binds Yorubas and Igbos - We're Brothers! by cheikh: 4:42pm On Mar 24, 2012
Ngodigha1
When a man takes his life in Igbo culture, it is an abomination. While in Yorubaland, it is not

@^^ Not quite true. Igbo persons(Men) are more likely to threaten suicide despite it being an abomination. In history of places in the new world(carribbean-Jamaica)e.g., the igbo slaves were noted to be uncooperative and melancholic because the men were not allowed to live together with their "wife" in the slave farms by the owners/overseers hence they are prone/preferred suicide. In Jamaica it is in the folklore that if you are so stubborn etc or suicidal, you are seen as 'ibo'.
There is no culture besides the Japanese(harakiri), Old inuits/ Eskimos and some Indian(Hindu widows) that revere suicide.
The Yoruba certainly do not find suicide acceptable just like many other African cultures. Perhaps you are misreading and misinterpreting 'history' of Afonja and the recent so called suicide of a prominent person in Ogun state. That does not make it any less of an abomination in Yoruba land and other places in Africa. Africans are remarkably " a very Hopeful" race not easily given to foolhardiness and suicidal tendencies. Self immolation and suicide has never been the African way.
Re: Facts that Binds Yorubas and Igbos - We're Brothers! by cheikh: 5:32pm On Mar 24, 2012
MsDarkSkin
Dude! You ARE Igbo. Smh

@^^ Hi MsDarkSkin grin wink He is not Igbo but it does not matter either. He is a normal Nigerian like anybody else on this thread who refuses to appreciate the anthropological import(ance) of the write-up/OP. Generally, we are backward not because God dealt us a bad hand but because we are inherently LAZY and not interested in intellectual rigour or scholarship like other "races". Sadly only a few are interested. You'll think that only the Fulani, Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba own or populate Nigeria except recently when the Ijaw muscled into the conundrum. I like your pose grin.
You are definitely representing your yard wink grin
Re: Facts that Binds Yorubas and Igbos - We're Brothers! by ektbear: 5:36pm On Mar 24, 2012
At OP:

This is probably wishful thinking. The language groups probably started diverging several thousand years ago.

So doesn't really make sense to say they are close or anything
Re: Facts that Binds Yorubas and Igbos - We're Brothers! by Ngodigha1(m): 5:36pm On Mar 24, 2012
^^^The Igbo society did that in the new world and not in Igboland. In Igboland east and west of the Niger River, suicide is an abominable act. Even the Umuofian society could not touch the body of Okonkwo but begged the Europeans to do that for them ''Things Fall Apart''.
But the suicide of the Okene chief was done at peace time. Infact, the Ogun govt has to exhume his decayed skeleton and bury him in an evil forest if you think it is not accepted in Yoruba culture.
Re: Facts that Binds Yorubas and Igbos - We're Brothers! by ACM10: 8:09pm On Mar 24, 2012
ndu_chucks:

It appears as if you are slower than I thought. Only a severe case of inferiority complex could make you people unable to accept defeat graciously, even after 45 years. You people exhibit this complex by your attention seeking threads and posts coupled by a constant fear and trembling of anything Northern. No make me vex o.

Make shrapnels from boko haram bomb create a deep crater on your doltish brain.

Yours is a case of refractory superiority complex. Aren't you ashamed that you are still fighting a psychological war more than four decades after your so-called battlefield victory?

Moreover, I'm not your alamajiri clutching plate undecided So don't talk down on me NIGGA! Who cares if you vex or not! NIGGA kiss the desiccated s/h/i/t at my a/r/s/e.

Your tribe is littered with millions of alamajiri thugs. Truth hurts. Take to the rope if you are seriously vexed. Who trembles at the mere mention of north? You are a pathetic dimwit.

I cited some instances to buttress my point. So I don't know how you managed to introduce the issue of civil war into the discussion. I guess you had a severe case of disorientation in time, place and event. Pls endeavour to swallow your pills and don't come here again with your BS yarns.
Re: Facts that Binds Yorubas and Igbos - We're Brothers! by Abagworo(m): 8:29pm On Mar 24, 2012
ekpriobong: But for Igbo,  think we really have a strong connection with them. The little separation (let me not use hatred)  think experience between us is because of nothing more than greed. The Igbos are too greedy and. desperate while an average Efik/Ibibio man thinks far from this direction rather they have chosen never to support war even for their own right but always ready and having the believe that life was meant to be enjoyed and they always pursue life in this direction at all times and this is why we make friends easily.  think  should stop here.

Actually I seem to agree with you in some while I disagree in others. Some Igbo dialects are deeply linked with Efik/Ibibio because the boundary is contigous just like Igbo with Benin at the Western end but Igbo and Efik people look almost 98% alike physically. So I could well say we might share same ancestry more than same language. The language spoken by Igbos seems more linked with Edo than Efik/Ibibio. I'm using Nri and Isu Igbo as the yardstick since they make up the corest Igbo.
Re: Facts that Binds Yorubas and Igbos - We're Brothers! by aljharem(m): 8:31pm On Mar 24, 2012
MsDarkSkin:

Dude! You ARE Igbo. Smh undecided

Not igbo but part igbo, any problem ?
Re: Facts that Binds Yorubas and Igbos - We're Brothers! by aljharem(m): 8:32pm On Mar 24, 2012
cheikh: MsDarkSkin

@^^ Hi MsDarkSkin grin wink He is not Igbo but it does not matter either. He is a normal Nigerian like anybody else on this thread who refuses to appreciate the anthropological import(ance) of the write-up/OP. Generally, we are backward not because God dealt us a bad hand but because we are inherently LAZY and not interested in intellectual rigour or scholarship like other "races". Sadly only a few are interested. You'll think that only the Fulani, Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba own or populate Nigeria except recently when the Ijaw muscled into the conundrum. I like your pose grin.
You are definitely representing your yard wink grin

refuse ? i agreed with the op
Re: Facts that Binds Yorubas and Igbos - We're Brothers! by nduchucks: 8:34pm On Mar 24, 2012
ACM10:
MakeMay shrapnels from boko haram bomb create a deep crater on your doltish brain.
It appears your inferiority complex has made you become jittery, antsy, and nervously shaky. I’ve corrected your sentence for you since fear has gripped your ghetto behind. smiley

ACM10:
Moreover, I'm not your alamajiri clutching plate? So don't talk down on me NIGGA! Who cares if you vex or not! NIGGA kiss the desiccated s/h/i/t at my a/r/s/e.
Poor boy, you are better than calling yourself a nigga. To be comfortable with using that word on a fellow African indicates that you’ve been living with the poorest of the poor ghetto dwellers abroad. You probably enjoy crack as well. olodo, for that you have my pity. By the way, the marginalized Almajiris who you are mocking are a million times better than your ghetto behind. Egbe ndi Israeli piakuka gi isi. Ewu Osu.
Re: Facts that Binds Yorubas and Igbos - We're Brothers! by LogicMind: 10:11pm On Mar 24, 2012
Still laffing at Adenkule, the yoruba warlord. Hahahaha.
Later.
Re: Facts that Binds Yorubas and Igbos - We're Brothers! by OneNaira6: 10:25pm On Mar 24, 2012
I was actually expecting something genetically or anthropological proven. All that have been posted so far is coincidence.

The Igbo and Yoruba are no more alike than Igbo and Hausa, Igbo and Native American, etc.
If looked hard and deep, anyone can find language similarity between any group in Africa and other side of Africa.
Re: Facts that Binds Yorubas and Igbos - We're Brothers! by Ngodigha1(m): 10:35pm On Mar 24, 2012
This Yorubaman here does not in any way look like an Igbo. No connection between the two at all.

Re: Facts that Binds Yorubas and Igbos - We're Brothers! by mabcos: 11:18am On Mar 25, 2012
I prayfully hope and believe that no matter the differences in our tribes and religion, our schoolers will not forget in a hurry that we are all from ADAM and EVE. Other differences are just for identification like given your identical twins (male or female) different names. Other things you can't ask God are colour physical structure etc.
Re: Facts that Binds Yorubas and Igbos - We're Brothers! by emsquare(m): 3:49pm On Mar 25, 2012
Hmmmm!!!
Re: Facts that Binds Yorubas and Igbos - We're Brothers! by lagcity(m): 7:00pm On Mar 25, 2012
Mr. Lagcity is sick of all these bickering between Yoruba and Igbo. Let's cut the crap and take this battle off NL into the physical realm. To all NL tribalists in the Washington, DC metro area who are interested in a fight club, contact me at ohafiawardance@yahoo.com. Let's make it happen. Please sign up at this e-mail:ohafiawardance@yahoo.com

There are no big expenses involved.

You'll need a pair of boxing gloves which you can get at Walmart or Sears.

You'll also need a valid ID (people under the age of 21 are not allowed to fight but can watch for just $10)

Fighters will be matched by weight (all weights are welcome).

ohafiawardance@yahoo.com

ohafiawardance@yahoo.com
Re: Facts that Binds Yorubas and Igbos - We're Brothers! by Onlytruth(m): 7:17pm On Mar 25, 2012
Ngodigha1: This Yorubaman here does not in any way look like an Igbo. No connection between the two at all.

hehehe! una go wound pesin for nairaland! chei. Dis one na real head master. grin
Re: Facts that Binds Yorubas and Igbos - We're Brothers! by Ngodigha1(m): 7:19pm On Mar 25, 2012
^^^The email address is not going through as am interested in this fight.
Re: Facts that Binds Yorubas and Igbos - We're Brothers! by AreaFada2: 8:35pm On Mar 25, 2012
mabcos: I prayfully hope and believe that no matter the differences in our tribes and religion, our schoolers will not forget in a hurry that we are all from ADAM and EVE. Other differences are just for identification like given your identical twins (male or female) different names. Other things you can't ask God are colour physical structure etc.

Adam & Eve, hmmmm.
How do you know that they were not called Aderotimi & Ebun or Adaeze & Evo?

We too dey follow follow. We shal we start to export religion to others?
Re: Facts that Binds Yorubas and Igbos - We're Brothers! by OneNaira6: 8:58pm On Mar 25, 2012
grin grin grin grin @ Lagcity and Ngodigha1

Lagcity running around advertising his fight and Ngodigha following him around and announcing him email no dey work thus putting a damper on his advertisement.

Chei una go kill me with laughter for here.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ekiti Muslims Protest Mosque Demolition As Crisis Looms / 'Lawal Daura Took Bribes, Betrayed Buhari' - Abdulwahab Abdulrahman, Former Aide / Bala Bantex: Former Kaduna Deputy Governor Dies At 64

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.