Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,721 members, 7,816,971 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:40 PM

South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports (32591 Views)

PDP Only Needs Three Senators To Produce Senate President - Yerima / Senators On Tour Of Federal Roads In South-East Nigeria (Photos) / Nigeria Needs President Buhari As Minister Of Defence, Not Petroleum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 5:40am On Apr 02, 2012
shymmex:

Afraid? Why should I be afraid?

My parents are from Epe, which makes me a LAGOSIAN - so why should I be afraid? I'm a Pan-Nigerianist - and you need to drop your pipe dream of having three airports in SE. The money needs to spent on more important things right now, not meaningless structures.

All the airports in Nigeria look like advanced bus garage, we don't need new ones. We need houses for the poor; good health care; good roads; jobs etc.

Hmm, so you are from Lagos. I see. Why do all posters from that side seem to quarrel with this project disproportionately?
@Second bolded: the fact that all the airports in your corner of Nigeria are like advanced bus garages, does not mean that private funded ones in my corner of Nigeria would be like that.
That you failed to raise your game in that corner of Nigeria does not mean that I must fail to raise mine in my own corner of Nigeria.
The name of my state is "Light of the nation". It is for a reason that we say that.
Now, if you have nothing positive to contribute here except spite, MOVE ON. cool
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by debosky(m): 11:45am On Apr 02, 2012
Onlytruth:
You better believe that no private investor would put his kobo in a "white elephant project".

Isn't that why no private investor has built an airport in the SE? undecided

Onlytruth:
You can actually map international class business locations in Nigeria with international airports. Some of you need to go back to school.

Sokoto has an international airport - kindly mention the 'international class' businesses in that location. cheesy

Some of you need to stop making bland generalisations and assumptions on the ability of international airports to attract knock on international development.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by manny4life(m): 1:20pm On Apr 02, 2012
Aigbofa:

You should contest what you consider a lie, rather than making up your own lies or copy inaccurate information from the internet. You knew you were wrong, yet you held on regardless! ibo pepo!

Contest gini? How many times have I disproved all these so-called claimed, YET, you and your cohorts assert that it's right information... Biko, let me be. I guess what is good for the goose is not good for the gander...
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Ikology(m): 4:13pm On Apr 02, 2012
I think in all honesty we should start pushing our leaders very hard for them to wake up to their responsibilities, our governors and representatives in the National assembly, have refused to put the interest of the region first before any other interest. Yes we were merely given only one International Airport in Enugu, Yet upgrading of the said Airport is still being toyed with. The immediate past minister of aviation is from Enugu state( Mrs Fidelia Njeze), while the current minister Stella Oduah is from Anambra state, and we also have Senator Hope Uzodinma ( rep. Imo east)as senate committee chairman on aviation. Our people are manning key positions yet nothing to show for it. I think we are missing the Ikaba boys! *smh*

1 Like

Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 6:14pm On Apr 02, 2012
Ikology: I think in all honesty we should start pushing our leaders very hard for them to wake up to their responsibilities, our governors and representatives in the National assembly, have refused to put the interest of the region first before any other interest. Yes we were merely given only one International Airport in Enugu, Yet upgrading of the said Airport is still being toyed with. The immediate past minister of aviation is from Enugu state( Mrs Fidelia Njeze), while the current minister Stella Oduah is from Anambra state, and we also have Senator Hope Uzodinma ( rep. Imo east)as senate committee chairman on aviation. Our people are manning key positions yet nothing to show for it. I think we are missing the Ikaba boys! *smh*

Nwanne m, where can I see you so that I can order and deliver to you a VERY FRESH palm wine, straight from the top of the palm tree without the container touching the ground, even for one second! You are BY FAR the most intelligent commentor on this thread so far, IMHO.
I see some of our brothers talking nonsense here: "oh but we need ONE internationa airport". None of them was able to think and ask the questions you just asked!
Some even started to see it from regional or state perspective, and in the process, they completely missed the point that we don't even have ONE, and may NEVER have that one, because we've been only asking for that ONE. Now that I have come up with an idea that would at least force the powers that be to remove the obstacle in our path of progress, you still see them blabbing about all the things we never had since independence! As if they would happen tomorrow. Meanwhile, people are dying on the roads between SE and Lagos almost constantly.

I decided to push this thing because I have since reached the same conclusion you reached about Igbo government officials sleeping on their oars about our interests in Nigeria. God will punish all of them for playing with our interests and our lives! angry cool The fight is really for the educated youths of Igboland, and the aim is to give us our dues and support our aspirations in Nigeria; else we will push relentlessly until Nigeria is disintegrated to free us to pursue our dreams!

Here I stand! cool cool cool
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 6:33pm On Apr 02, 2012
debosky:

Isn't that why no private investor has built an airport in the SE? undecided

Sokoto has an international airport - kindly mention the 'international class' businesses in that location. cheesy

Some of you need to stop making bland generalisations and assumptions on the ability of international airports to attract knock on international development.

I almost ignored your post because honestly it sounded so dumb.
How can a private investor build an INTERNATIONAL airport in SE, when the federal government has not approve it?
I can tell you now that no private investor would build a LOCAL airport in Enugu or SE. Most of you just jump into the thread without reading comments from the beginning.

@Second bolded: I hope you are not comparing Sokoto with Onitsha in business. Even Enugu would pull more INTERNATIONAL travellers than Sokoto anyday.
So, go back to the first page and start reading. It is easier than going back to school. wink
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Abagworo(m): 6:45pm On Apr 02, 2012
For those who do not know, I want to make it clear that Sam Mbakwe Airport, Owerri was not built by Government but by the communal effort of Imo and Abia people. My Father and Grandfather contributed a lot to that Airport.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 7:11pm On Apr 02, 2012
Abagworo: For those who do not know, I want to make it clear that Sam Mbakwe Airport, Owerri was not built by Government but by the communal effort of Imo and Abia people. My Father and Grandfather contributed a lot to that Airport.

You would be suprised that a lot of Nigerians don't know the bolded information. That airport is a model of what can be achieved when people are determined to get what they want. It is actually the spirit behind this proposal here. I have studied Nigeria long enough to realize that certain things can never happen unless unconventional strategies are executed. I want Ndigbo to grow a 21st century economy in the SE of Nigeria. If we do that, we will occupy our rightful position in the scheme of things in Nigeria. We can never occupy that position if we keep aiming low and migrating out of our zones. Lagos is the most dense part of Nigeria, yet people are still migrating there. If we anchor an economic boom in SE, it would be the engine to drag the entire Eastern region along. The future will not be decided by oil prices. It will be decided by production and exports.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by noiseless: 8:35pm On Apr 02, 2012
Why should a "landlock igboland" have an international airport anyway,and why must they not continue to depend on others to allow them the passage to whereever and whenever they need to go anywhere outside nigeria or and come back to their homeland? They must continue to be at someone elses mercy for most common things they need, so that some people could continue to tell them to their faces and ridicle them that they will always depend on others for everything. I REST MY CASE.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Abagworo(m): 9:09pm On Apr 02, 2012
Onlytruth:

You would be suprised that a lot of Nigerians don't know the bolded information. That airport is a model of what can be achieved when people are determined to get what they want. It is actually the spirit behind this proposal here. I have studied Nigeria long enough to realize that certain things can never happen unless unconventional strategies are executed. I want Ndigbo to grow a 21st century economy in the SE of Nigeria. If we do that, we will occupy our rightful position in the scheme of things in Nigeria. We can never occupy that position if we keep aiming low and migrating out of our zones. Lagos is the most dense part of Nigeria, yet people are still migrating there. If we anchor an economic boom in SE, it would be the engine to drag the entire Eastern region along. The future will not be decided by oil prices. It will be decided by production and exports.

After Lagos, it is the Southeast. I think the density issue has to do with small land mass. Lagos is the smallest State in Nigeria while Southeast is the smallest zone. As per migrating out, that we must do because our land is too small to contain all of us. Imagine Cameroun alone having 4million Igbos.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by ektbear: 9:11pm On Apr 02, 2012
Abagworo. You have stated this several times before. Where on earth did you get 20% of the population of Cameroon being Igbo?

In order words, that they are one of the largest ethnic groups in Cameroon.

It is not consistent with known data.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Abagworo(m): 9:18pm On Apr 02, 2012
ekt_bear: Abagworo. You have stated this several times before. Where on earth did you get 20% of the population of Cameroon being Igbo?

In order words, that they are one of the largest ethnic groups in Cameroon.

It is not consistent with known data.

You know I don't make assertions. Visit their national profile and you will see it. Those Igbos are migrants from Nigeria and not indigenous.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by ektbear: 9:19pm On Apr 02, 2012

PEOPLE
Cameroon's estimated 250 ethnic groups form five large regional-cultural groups: western highlanders (or grassfielders), including the Bamileke, Bamoun, and many smaller entities in the northwest (est. 38% of population); coastal tropical forest peoples, including the Bassa, Douala, and many smaller entities in the Southwest (12%); southern tropical forest peoples, including the Ewondo, Bulu, and Fang (all Beti subgroups), Maka and Pygmies (officially called Bakas) (18%); predominantly Islamic peoples of the northern semi-arid regions (the Sahel) and central highlands, including the Fulani, also known as Peuhl in French (14%); and the "Kirdi", non-Islamic or recently Islamic peoples of the northern desert and central highlands (18%).

The people concentrated in the Southwest and Northwest regions--around Buea and Bamenda--use standard English and "pidgin," as well as their local languages. In the three northern regions--Adamawa, North, and Far North--French and Fulfulde, the language of the Fulani, are widely spoken. Elsewhere, French is the principal language, although pidgin and some local languages such as Ewondo, the dialect of a Beti clan from the Yaounde area, also are widely spoken. Although Yaounde is Cameroon's capital, Douala is the largest city, main seaport, and main industrial and commercial center.

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/26431.htm

If what you say is true, then one of the largest ethnic groups in the country somehow seems to have been missed by some fairly prominent players.

Also seems pretty inconsistent with my interactions with both the French and English speaking Cameroonians I know in real life..
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 9:22pm On Apr 02, 2012
Abagworo:

After Lagos, it is the Southeast. I think the density issue has to do with small land mass. Lagos is the smallest State in Nigeria while Southeast is the smallest zone. As per migrating out, that we must do because our land is too small to contain all of us. Imagine Cameroun alone having 4million Igbos.

You defeated your point by stating that people are migrating out of SE zone because of small land mass, which BTW I know is FALSE, and then you throw in this your absurd claim that Igbo make up 20% of Cameroun.
Dude use google to view the SE and see. Our zone is still very sparsely settled and developed. Even Anambra state is very undeveloped! undecided

You missed the point I raised about Lagos. With the undisputed highest density of Lagos, I am yet to see a Lagosian migrating out of the state because of "small land mass". Infact people are still migrating TOWARDS Lagos.
People are leaving the SE because THERE ARE NO ECONOMIC ACTIVITIES THERE TO SUPPORT THEIR DREAMS. The chief reason for that is lack of international gateway.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by ektbear: 9:25pm On Apr 02, 2012
When did these Igbos migrate to Cameroon? How come none of their internal censuses have picked up on one fifth of their population being Igbos from Nigeria?

A bit remarkable. One of the greatest migrations in modern history, yet nobody seems to have picked up on it..
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by ektbear: 9:29pm On Apr 02, 2012
There are roughly ~3.5 million Bamileke in Cameroon. They appear to be the most populous ethnic group in Cameroon.

If what you say is true, then the most populous ethnic group in Cameroon is in fact Igbo migrants from Nigeria..
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 9:39pm On Apr 02, 2012
^

I Personally don't think that Igbo in Cameroun are more than 500,000. And I'm being generous with that figure. In any case, it has nothing to do with this thread.
You and Abagworo can open a different thread to explore that claim further.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by aljharem(m): 9:39pm On Apr 02, 2012
Onlytruth:

You defeated your point by stating that people are migrating out of SE zone because of small land mass, which BTW I know is FALSE, and then you throw in this your absurd claim that Igbo make up 20% of Cameroun.
Dude use google to view the SE and see. Our zone is still very sparsely settled and developed. Even Anambra state is very undeveloped! undecided

You missed the point I raised about Lagos. With the undisputed highest density of Lagos, I am yet to see a Lagosian migrating out of the state because of "small land mass". Infact people are still migrating TOWARDS Lagos.
People are leaving the SE because THERE ARE NO ECONOMIC ACTIVITIES THERE TO SUPPORT THEIR DREAMS. The chief reason for that is lack of international gateway.

you are funny you know ?

You really really need to visit Kaduna, Benin city, Abeokuta,Ibadan, Maiduguri and Port harcourt. Lagosian (indigenes) do migrate to other places and settle there.

It has nothing to do with 3 airports
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Abagworo(m): 9:39pm On Apr 02, 2012
ekt_bear:

If what you say is true, then one of the largest ethnic groups in the country somehow seems to have been missed by some fairly prominent players.

Also seems pretty inconsistent with my interactions with both the French and English speaking Cameroonians I know in real life..

Some 3,000 boundary pillars are being planted along
the Cameroon-Nigeria border - it is hoped they will
prevent further disputes between the neighbours
which nearly went to war over the oil-rich Bakassi
Peninsular. The conflict was the peak of their mutual
suspicion and several lives have been lost in border
skirmishes over the years.
Cameroon has long viewed her giant neighbour as an
imperialist-in-the-making, especially given Nigerians'
ballooning population. They began arriving Cameroon
in the early colonial days as fishermen, traders and
administrators. Their population is now estimated at
more than 4m out of a population of 19.5m.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-11429067

War in the Central African Republic has driven more than twenty thousand refugees to Cameroon's Adamawa and East provinces since 2002. Nigerians, especially Igbo, make up the largest group of foreign nationals.

www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Cameroon
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by aljharem(m): 9:41pm On Apr 02, 2012
^^^^^^^^^^^

Interesting
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by ektbear: 9:45pm On Apr 02, 2012
Abagworo:

ballooning population. They began arriving Cameroon

Estimated by who?

In what year was this estimate done? How did you ascertain that 100% of this estimate is Igbo?

Why the inconsistency with other estimates? How come nobody else (including the US department of state) has noticed this?

I am a bit surprised that this single sentence alone is what made you come to this conclusion. Like I said, if what you say is true, then they are the largest ethnic group in Cameroon....
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 9:47pm On Apr 02, 2012
Abagworo:

ballooning population
. They began arriving Cameroon

The bolded only identified NIGERIANS who started arriving as FISHERMEN, TRADERS AND ADMINISTRATORS.

How many Igbo do you know that are fishermen? I know that Igbo are more of traders, but not fishermen and administrators. These sound like Ijaw and Efik/Ibibio groups.
Most of these groups are simply called "le Biafrain" in Cameroun (read Biafran- Igbo). They are wrong of course that they are all Igbo. cool
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Abagworo(m): 9:51pm On Apr 02, 2012
ekt_bear:

Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 9:54pm On Apr 02, 2012
alj harem:

you are funny you know ?

You really really need to visit Kaduna, Benin city, Abeokuta,Ibadan, Maiduguri and Port harcourt. Lagosian (indigenes) do migrate to other places and settle there.

It has nothing to do with 3 airports

Well, let us agree to disagree then.
The influence of an international airport at Onitsha alone would create MASSIVE economic BOOM in Anambra,IMO and Delta states. Just like Lagos airport created a boom reaching Abeokuta and Ibadan; and Kano international airport created a boom reaching Kaduna. Port Harcourt would have done the same for Imo and Abia if not for the Nigerian civil war politics and the abandoned property saga.
So, we need our International airports. cool
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Abagworo(m): 9:55pm On Apr 02, 2012
ekt_bear:

Estimated by who?

In what year was this estimate done? How did you ascertain that 100% of this estimate is Igbo?

Why the inconsistency with other estimates? How come nobody else (including the US department of state) has noticed this?

I am a bit surprised that this single sentence alone is what made you come to this conclusion. Like I said, if what you say is true, then they are the largest ethnic group in Cameroon....

I didn't say 100 percent. Camerounians said they(the Nigerians) are mostly Igbo. Why don't you believe it?

http://www.adpit.net/en/demography.html
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by aljharem(m): 9:58pm On Apr 02, 2012
Onlytruth:

Well, let us agree to disagree then.
The influence of an international airport at Onitsha alone would create MASSIVE economic BOOM in Anambra,IMO and Delta states. Just like Lagos airport created a boom reaching Abeokuta and Ibadan; and Kano international airport created a boom reaching Kaduna. Port Harcourt would have done the same for Imo and Abia if not for the Nigerian civil war politics and the abandoned property saga.
So, we need our International airports. cool

Onlytruth, yes an International airport would make the boom to happen. What is even better is an effective transport system and local industries. Watch how people would migrate to that area.

People would go to an area where

1. Security

2. Very good transport system

3. Jobs

All that was what Lagos provided during the 19th century but as you can see now, Lagos is trying to build another international airport and a very good transport system because the FG owned is just a waste.

Transport system is more important than international airport
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 10:00pm On Apr 02, 2012
Abagworo:

I didn't say 100 percent. Camerounians said they(the Nigerians) are mostly Igbo. Why don't you believe it?

http://www.adpit.net/en/demography.html

Does an average Camerounian know the difference between Igbo and say Ijaw, or Ibibio or Efik, or even any other tribe in Nigeria that don't have tribal marks?
This your assertion is nothing but a red herring. Just drop it 'cos it ain't true.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by ektbear: 10:02pm On Apr 02, 2012
You said "Cameroon alone having 4 million Igbos."

Is that not nearly 100% of the figure you sourced on Nigerians in Cameroon?
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by ektbear: 10:05pm On Apr 02, 2012
Abagworo, who knows, maybe you've travelled to Cameroon numerous times. Maybe you've visited the depth and breadth of the country, I dunno.

I certainly have not. All I know about Cameroon is what these folks i kick it with every now and again tell me about the country. And stuff I read online.

But think about it to yourself.

If Igbos are the largest single ethnic group in Cameroon (as your numbers suggest), is it likely that they'd be listed at 0%? Does that not seem very strange to you?

It is either a massive conspiracy, or you are working with bad data.

Again, this would be one of the largest migrations in recent history, would it not?
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 10:08pm On Apr 02, 2012
alj harem:

Onlytruth, yes an International airport would make the boom to happen. What is even better is an effective transport system and local industries. Watch how people would migrate to that area.

People would go to an area where

1. Security

2. Very good transport system

3. Jobs

All that was what Lagos provided during the 19th century but as you can see now, Lagos is trying to build another international airport and a very good transport system because the FG owned is just a waste.

Transport system is more important than international airport

The only relevant point in your post are the bolded words.
What is good for Lagos is good for Onitsha. Shikena
Modern transportation system would only be possible if we have INTERNATIONAL interaction that can bring in the needed expertise and investments to make it happen.
Those infrastructure can only come to support existing businesses! Nobody builds world class roads for traders in shops; but they would build it for an Apple Computer, Dell, Samsung, Sony, Hewlett Parkard, factory etc; or an African Disney land, or a world class hospital or University, or even an international trade fair complex.
These are big job and skills guzzlers, and would employ our graduates.
Stop trying to keep us down. It won't work! cool
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by ektbear: 10:08pm On Apr 02, 2012
Hell.

Wouldn't you all know yourselves when these Igbos travel back to Nigeria to find wives, for the holidays, etc?

Granted, not all of this purported 4 million are likely to have kept strong roots. But surely some would have, no?

How come we never hear/see signs of mass visits during the holidays from Cameroon to the SE or SS?
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 10:12pm On Apr 02, 2012
ekt_bear: Hell.

Wouldn't you all know yourselves when these Igbos travel back to Nigeria to find wives, for the holidays, etc?

Granted, not all of this purported 4 million are likely to have kept strong roots. But surely some would have, no?

How come we never hear/see signs of mass visits during the holidays from Cameroon to the SE or SS?

My friend drop this idiocy.
If you and abagworo want to peddle lies, open a thread. Stop polluting this thread with irrelevant information.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (18) (Reply)

2019: Why PDP Is Yet To Endorse Fayose For President – Makarfi / 'Gani Adams Is A Mad Thug Elevated To The Rank Of Nobles' - Maiwada Dan Mallam / Protest In Kano Over Court Ruling On New Emirates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.