Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,232 members, 7,811,645 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:30 PM

South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports (32572 Views)

PDP Only Needs Three Senators To Produce Senate President - Yerima / Senators On Tour Of Federal Roads In South-East Nigeria (Photos) / Nigeria Needs President Buhari As Minister Of Defence, Not Petroleum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 5:33pm On Mar 29, 2012
debosky:

So now you've started backtracking on your claims? Who said this?

Pray tell, would funds not be required to make this the 'core' issue of development?

Also who said this?

Who are you 'demanding' airports from? Private investors or government? cheesy

One more exhibition of your hypocrisy:

Who built these airports in the desert you are referring to? Was it not government? By linking your SE airports to them, are you not implying that government funds should be used to build them? cheesy

Private funds indeed.

Dude, I usually don't engage in arguments with some Nairalanders who I consider "not up to my levels" brain-wise.
What you are committing is what is called "logic leap".
Who is the ONLY authority in Nigeria with the powers to designate an International airport? Answer: federal government of Nigeria. How does that translate to them being the only funding source? Who is funding the Lekki international airport? That Kano international airport is funded by the cheating federal government who cannot see SE as part of Nigeria, does not mean that we are condemned to wait for them for ever. We can find founds, just like Fashola has for both Lekki international airport, and the MMA2 owned by Bi-Courtney.

Yes, they are CORE issues of development because they will lay a foundation for fiscal sustainability for the SE.

Please raise your input levels, else I would start to ignore you too. You would notice that I did not respond to all posts on this thread.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Afam4eva(m): 5:49pm On Mar 29, 2012
I don't know why some people are trying to frustrate the attempt by the east to free themselves from economic slavery. Why should an Igbo business man have to fly to Lagos and then connect to his base in the east? This is why many of these business men will rather move their businesses to lagos instead of going through the excruciating problem of shipping their goods to the east. I see no reason why every region should not have an international aiport. The south-east also needs a seaport.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by GAR3TH(m): 5:52pm On Mar 29, 2012
Onlytruth:

lol, I was starting to wonder whether I am the only one who thinks that guy is as dense as a wet firewood. The annoying thing is that he resorts to provocations and insults when he runs out of logic, or is it illogic. He is also a desperate attention seeker. The other day, another guy here got fed up and simply cursed him out of a thread.
What an oaf. The only way to educate that type of a guy is to cut open his head and stuff things in.

When did I resulted to insults in any of our debates? its only you and your crew that keeps insulting me when you fail to have a reasonable reply. look at my post history, can you find were i ever insulted you?

Second who cursed me out of a thread? I don't reply and I dont feed trolls, if someone insults me I ignore them, simple. Second I stopped posting on that thread because you did not reply my post (because you did not have an academic defense to your ideological position).

Anyway, I want to see how you will reply to what I said about the port in my previous post.

BlackPikiN: You sound as dumb as f0rk!

This might be the first and only troll statement I will reply. anyway isn't what i said right. the OP claimed there is a large market for international flights in the south east and thats why they need 3 international airports. He said that "20-40% of lagos traffic originates in the south east". if that statement is true and the south east really does have large international demand like the OP says then why does Port harcourt International only have 13,000 international passengers per year? The OP is saying that south easterners are so rich that the will rather pay extra to go all the way to lagos instead of going to port harcourt, which is 5 minute drive from the south east. Does that make sense, NO!!! Thats like saying a person drives all the way from manchester just to fly from london heathrow or someone drive all the way from florida to fly from NY JFK. No body does that, if there is HIGH demand people will go to the closest international airport for flights, NOT travel half way across the country.

1 Like

Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by manny4life(m): 6:06pm On Mar 29, 2012
GAR3TH:

This might be the first and only troll statement I will reply. anyway isn't what i said right. the OP claimed there is a large market for international flights in the south east and thats why they need 3 international airports. He said that "20-40% of lagos traffic originates in the south east". if that statement is true and the south east really does have large international demand like the OP says then why does Port harcourt International only have 13,000 international passengers per year? The OP is saying that south easterners are so rich that the will rather pay extra to go all the way to lagos instead of going to port harcourt, which is 5 minute drive from the south east. Does that make sense, NO!!! Thats like saying a person drives all the way from manchester just to fly from london heathrow or someone drive all the way from florida to fly from NY JFK. No body does that, if there is HIGH demand people will go to the closest international airport for flights, NOT travel half way across the country.

First off, it seems like you're a lil confused about the geography of PH as well as the OP's stance on the term "International Airport". First off, while PH is in the SS, the OP stressed about SE, secondly of all, you can't compare the international airport standard of Lagos and PH. If you're an airliner who flies into Nigeria, assuming that airports are categorized into A, b, and C based upon progression (facilities, equipments, etc), would you fly to an airport of Cat A or C, being that Cat A is higher than Cat C?

That is the strong difference between the both; they both have designation of "International", but one has a lil more standard than the other, hence the reason why they travel further out to board flights because the lower standards needs upgrades for large airliners to come in... got it? It does not mean that PH or SE doesn't have the economic potential, it just means that PH doesn't have the infrastructural capacity to meet the international designation of an airport. In addition to that, you have to account for all other limiting factors why both airlines and airports and even the govt affecting the airport.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Dede1(m): 6:10pm On Mar 29, 2012
GAR3TH:

When did I resulted to insults in any of our debates? its only you and your crew that keeps insulting me when you fail to have a reasonable reply. look at my post history, can you find were i ever insulted you?

Second who cursed me out of a thread? I don't reply and I dont feed trolls, if someone insults me I ignore them, simple. Second I stopped posting on that thread because you did not reply my post (because you did not have an academic defense to your ideological position).

Anyway, I want to see how you will reply to what I said about the port in my previous post.

Did you factor the politically influenced the grant of landing rights to only two carriers in your silly 13,000 international passengers a year statistic? I would want you to extrapolate your figure with number of landing rights granted to air carriers headed to Lagos or Abuja. I hate when Nigerians throw silly comparison into an argument without encompassing all the variables.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Nobody: 6:11pm On Mar 29, 2012
GAR3TH:

You are talking logic with people who deal in raw emotions. Even if they manage to build the three airports and the only passengers they get are migrating birds from the Kalahari, they will still find something or someone to blame for it.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by manny4life(m): 6:14pm On Mar 29, 2012
Aigbofa:

You are talking logic with people who deal in raw emotions. Even if they manage to build the three airports and the only passengers they get are migrating birds from the Kalahari, they will still find something or someone to blame for it.

Please what LOGIC do you speak of? Before we begin to speak of LOGIC, what makes it impossible for the SE not to be economic buoyant to meet demands of an airport? Bottom line is, let a standardized airport be built first, then the next follows.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by jason123: 6:14pm On Mar 29, 2012
Gareth is on point. If the nearest airport to the SE, PH airport, is not fully utilised; how would THREE airports in the SE be? Really, we should start thinking! Its just so unfortunate that people already hold contempt in their hearts so any comment from a non-SEasterner is seen as an "enemy's comment".
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Dede1(m): 6:18pm On Mar 29, 2012
Aigbofa:

What nonsensical logic are you writing about? Jerry Rawlings of Ghana could not even fly into Enugu or Port Harcourt without touching down in Lagos.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by manny4life(m): 6:24pm On Mar 29, 2012
jason123: Gareth is on point. If the nearest airport to the SE, PH airport, is not fully utilised; how would THREE airports in the SE be? Really, we should start thinking! Its just so unfortunate that people already hold contempt in their hearts so any comment from a non-SEasterner is seen as an "enemy's comment".

It's unfortunate how we come to conclusions without asking necessary questions... Like seriously, let me ask you GAR3TH claimed that PH had 13,000 Pax annually, here are my questions to all these arm and chair critics?

A. Since we know the annual pax of PH to be 13,000, what are the economic, political and financial factors mitigating against PH airport?

B. If any, do these factors "severely" have an impact on potential airlines from flying into the airports which has a direct impact on the Pax capacity?

C. If any, what are potential solutions to put a resolve on how to improve performance of PH airports.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Nobody: 6:29pm On Mar 29, 2012
Dede1:

What nonsensical logic are you writing about? Jerry Rawlings of Ghana could not even fly into Enugu or Port Harcourt without touching down in Lagos.

What is good for the SE is also good for Nigeria, and am saying this without any mischief; A fast and efficient rail service (for goods and passengers) to connect the SE with other major economic hubs in Nigeria. That is all you need for now, in my opinion.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Abagworo(m): 6:42pm On Mar 29, 2012
GAR3TH:

You seem to have little knowledge of pacts reached with investors before they can invest in a difficult economy. Airline is not very profitable business and requires some kind of restrictions to sustain it. Like for example domestic routes must be shared and no airline will be allowed to operate everywhere.

Actually, what the SE should demand for is the upgrade of Enugu and Port Harcourt. Port Harcourt though in South-South is more accessible to majority of Imo and Abia States. Enugu is too far away for most of us. Enugu can serve Benue, Anambra and Ebonyi conveniently. The East as a whole should have 2 international Airports viz PH and Enugu.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Dede1(m): 6:43pm On Mar 29, 2012
Aigbofa:

What is good for the SE is also good for Nigeria, and am saying this without any mischief; A fast and efficient rail service (for goods and passengers) to connect the SE with other major economic hubs in Nigeria. That is all you need for now, in my opinion.

You are entitled to your opinion but it is very illogical to think that two (2) persons that bring three (3) bags each will equal twenty (20) persons that bring two (2) bags each in summation for a period of one year. I guess the Southeasterners know better than anybody what is economically good for them.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by jason123: 6:45pm On Mar 29, 2012
manny4life:

It's unfortunate how we come to conclusions without asking necessary questions... Like seriously, let me ask you GAR3TH claimed that PH had 13,000 Pax annually, here are my questions to all these arm and chair critics?

A. Since we know the annual pax of PH to be 13,000, what are the economic, political and financial factors mitigating against PH airport?

B. If any, do these factors "severely" have an impact on potential airlines from flying into the airports which has a direct impact on the Pax capacity?

C. If any, what are potential solutions to put a resolve on how to improve performance of PH airports.

Manny4life, most Igbo traders [b]NEED/b] Lagos because it offers them 18 million customers. Onitsha and co do not offer them such a large market. As the saying goes, "if everyone is a trader who will buy"?

Yes, they have an impact because a trader needs his/her goods close to where its sold. The closer it is to the customers, the cheaper the overall cost and the better.

Patronage-but you have to ask yourself, who will patronise it if majority his target customers are not there?
Manny, Lagos is mini-Nigeria. There is no better way to get your goods across to Nigeria without Lagos. Why is Lagos like this you ask? It is because of her multiethnic population and density. These factors we cannot control.

If new airports are built, three for that matter, it will be a white elephant project. Mark my words. No animosity but ONE still makes sense instead of THREE. Onlytruth is simply using emotions to judge his decisions.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by manny4life(m): 7:01pm On Mar 29, 2012
jason123:

Manny4life, most Igbo traders [b]NEED/b] Lagos because it offers them 18 million customers. Onitsha and co do not offer them such a large market. As the saying goes, "if everyone is a trader who will buy"?

Yes, they have an impact because a trader needs his/her goods close to where its sold. The closer it is to the customers, the cheaper the overall cost and the better.

Patronage-but you have to ask yourself, who will patronise it if majority his target customers are not there?
Manny, Lagos is mini-Nigeria. There is no better way to get your goods across to Nigeria without Lagos. Why is Lagos like this you ask? It is because of her multiethnic population and density. These factors we cannot control.

If new airports are built, three for that matter, it will be a white elephant project. Mark my words. No animosity but ONE still makes sense instead of THREE. Onlytruth is simply using emotions to judge his decisions.

Seriously? Are we really talking about this? Onitsha, like they often said, the largest West African market you're saying doesn't have the potential, seriously? I think you're confusing the idea of potential vs reality. Lagos has a potential of 18million customers, Onitsha has potential of same amount of folks in the eastern region as well those who come into Onitsha to trade (buy and sell). Onitsha should be a focal point of the SE region in terms of a retail and economic hub, meaning that it needs aggressive infrastructure and development for it to be like Lagos. Hundreds of thousands of people go in and out of that city daily to trade, so you think that it's hasn't reach a potential for expansion?

No ones is arguing about whether goods or services closer, the better and cheaper it is. We understand that, my point hasn't been about the market structure of the east but the infrastructural development (airport included) of the SE. Once before, I had this argument with ekt_bear, I said, before embarking on infrastructural development, there has to be a benefit potential. The SE has achieved the benefit potential even with less population, infrastructures just boost the economics more further.

Look, Lagos is mini-Nigeria because our government has been inefficient in the structural development, period. SE has more buying power per capita or even more than most other regions, so why would you think that economic infrastructures are sorta a taboo in the making? Lagos is a big city and is expected as much, however, give the SE what Lagos has, and you'll see competition set in, it's common economics because the SE has already reached it's potential with less resources.

I for one , do not like the idea of three international airports, I would rather have one international network with a HSR network linking at least 3cities in each SE states.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by ACM10: 7:06pm On Mar 29, 2012
jason123:

Yorubas wants Igbos to leave Lagos. At the same time opposing the effort of Igbos to develop the infrastracture in the east to enable them vacate from Lagos.

I have some question for you.

1. Do you think that the "Onitsha is the largest market in West Africa" in name only?

2. Can you back your "18 million customers" claim with proof?

3. Why not give businessmen a choice? Why force them to pass through Lagos?

4. "who will patronise it if majority his target customers are not there?
" Why not agree to put your assumption to test?
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by chino11(m): 7:08pm On Mar 29, 2012
manny4life:

Seriously? Are we really talking about this? Onitsha, like they often said, the largest West African market you're saying doesn't have the potential, seriously? I think you're confusing the idea of potential vs reality. Lagos has a potential of 18million customers, Onitsha has potential of same amount of folks in the eastern region as well those who come into Onitsha to trade (buy and sell). Onitsha should be a focal point of the SE region in terms of a retail and economic hub, meaning that it needs aggressive infrastructure and development for it to be like Lagos. Hundreds of thousands of people go in and out of that city daily to trade, so you think that it's hasn't reach a potential for expansion?

No ones is arguing about whether goods or services closer, the better and cheaper it is. We understand that, my point hasn't been about the market structure of the east but the infrastructural development (airport included) of the SE. Once before, I had this argument with ekt_bear, I said, before embarking on infrastructural development, there has to be a benefit potential. The SE has achieved the benefit potential even with less population, infrastructures just boost the economics more further.

Look, Lagos is mini-Nigeria because our government has been inefficient in the structural development, period. SE has more buying power per capita or even more than most other regions, so why would you think that economic infrastructures are sorta a taboo in the making? Lagos is a big city and is expected as much, however, give the SE what Lagos has, and you'll see competition set in, it's common economics because the SE has already reached it's potential with less resources.

I for one , do not like the idea of three international airports, I would rather have one international network with a HSR network linking at least 3cities in each SE states.

Nwanne mu gwaba fa. The home truth.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by chino11(m): 7:12pm On Mar 29, 2012
ACM10:

Yorubas wants Igbos to leave Lagos. At the same time opposing the effort of Igbos to develop the infrastracture in the east to enable them vacate from Lagos.

1. Do you think that the "Onitsha is the largest market in West Africa" in name only?

Umunne mu leave the Yoruba guy, he has run out of fuel. grin cool
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Nobody: 7:13pm On Mar 29, 2012
ACM10:

When economists talk of "largest markets" they are not talking about the largest open space market where you can go and buy your apu. grin
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by chino11(m): 7:20pm On Mar 29, 2012
Aigbofa:

When economists talk of "largest markets" they are not talking about the largest open space market where you can go and buy your apu.

What do you understand by market mr economist?

If a manufacturing company knows that such places as Onitsha is where the entire Nigeria visits just to transact their business, why won't manufacturer or an investor hit such cities. Just like SABMILLER of South Africa has seen such potential and has since moved into Onitsha where they are setting up the single largest brewery plant in West Africa.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Nobody: 7:25pm On Mar 29, 2012
chino11:

What do you understand by market mr economist?

If a manufacturing company knows that such places as Onitsha is where the entire Nigeria visits just to transact their business, why won't manufacturer or an investor hit such cities. Just like SABMILLER of South Africa has seen such potential and has since moved into Onitsha where they are setting up the single largest brewery plant in West Africa.

What you wrote has nothing to do with the definition of a market. What you have in onitsha is the largest marketplace in West Africa not the largest market, two different things.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by manny4life(m): 7:31pm On Mar 29, 2012
Aigbofa:

When economists talk of "largest markets" they are not talking about the largest open space market where you can go and buy your apu. grin

Isn't it mischievous of you to assert such erroneous claims; unfortunately, economist are able to assert what types of markets and what category it fell into. FYI, these are the types of markets and I'm sure, they hadn't made any mistakes when they asserted Onitsha about being the largest market...

Financial Markets (Stock, FOREX, Currency, Capital markets etc)

Commodity Markets (Oil, and Gas, Agricultural, etc)

Physical Markets (Retail markets etc)

Non-Physical Markets (Internet Commerce, etc)

Labor Markets, etc

I can continue to go on but unfortunately for you, you quickly assert without differentiation... However, Onitsha will fall into the category of both Physical and labor market- direct or in-direct (hundreds of thousands go there to buy and sell whether it's apu or electronics, sale is sale, period.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by chino11(m): 7:33pm On Mar 29, 2012
Aigbofa:

What you wrote has nothing to do with the definition of a market. What you have in onitsha is the largest marketplace in West Africa not the largest market, two different things.

I think you need to go back to school. You have a problem with semantics.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by ACM10: 7:35pm On Mar 29, 2012
Aigbofa:

Can you imagine this bushman. Pls locate and engage Dayokanu, Ileke-idi, Eko-ile and other folks that are on par with your level of cognition.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by chino11(m): 7:38pm On Mar 29, 2012
manny4life:

Isn't it mischievous of you to assert such erroneous claims; unfortunately, economist are able to assert what types of markets and what category it fell into. FYI, these are the types of markets and I'm sure, they hadn't made any mistakes when they asserted Onitsha about being the largest market...

Labor Markets, etc

I can continue to go on but unfortunately for you, you quickly assert without differentiation... However, Onitsha will fall into the category of both Physical and labor market- direct or in-direct (hundreds of thousands go there to buy and sell whether it's apu or electronics, sale is sale, period.

I think you left out capital market, because presently Onitsha boast of Stock Exchange and SEC (Securities and Exchange Commission). It is located at the Financial House @ GRA. Again it is the only SE city with highest number of commercial banks.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by jason123: 7:39pm On Mar 29, 2012
manny4life:
Seriously? Are we really talking about this? Onitsha, like they often said, the largest West African market you'rs saying doesn't have the potential, seriously? I think you're confusing the idea of potential vs reality. Lagos has a potential of 18million customers, Onitsha has a potential of same amount of folks in the eastern region as well who come into Onitsha to trade (buy and sell).

I heard as well that Onitsha is the largest but to be honest, if not for the internet, I would have not known anything about Onitsha. With that said, sorry to say but I feel PH has nor potential than Onitsha. Why, apart from having a similar environment to Lagos, it can boast of a Sea port coupled with her already international airport. Any FG official will ask himself, why should I build three when PH airport is just few minutes away from Imo or Abia? Again, the so-called river-port at Onitsha. The same thing was said, now that it is dredged, do the Onitsha traders utilise it? No. Why is that? A majority still import through Lagos and PH.

No ones is arguing about whether goods or services closer, the better and cheaper it is. We understand that, my point hasn't been about the market structure of the east but the infrastructure (airport) of the SE. Once before, I had this argument with ekt_bear, I said, before embarking on infrastructural development, there has to be a benefit potential. The SE has achieved the benefit potential even with less population, infrastructures just boost the economics more further.
When you say it this way it makes it seem there is a deliberate attempt by other Nigerians to "keep the SE down" which is not true.

And how can the SE have what Lagos has without a sea-port? The only potential competition with Lagos is probably Rivers. Hence, most of the commentators on this thread have been using port-harcourt airport as an example of an underutilized airport

I guess thats for onlytruth . . .
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by manny4life(m): 7:40pm On Mar 29, 2012
Aigbofa:

Huh, like seriously?

What is a market? Is a market not a place/medium/forum/platform where you purchase/trade/exchange/offer goods and services? Please what is the difference between marketplace and a market? How can you have a market without the medium? undecided undecided undecided

Wall Street - Isn't that the Financial Capital Market or Marketplace of the U.S. and ranking in top 5 in the world?
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by ACM10: 7:43pm On Mar 29, 2012
manny4life:

Labor Markets, etc

Why waste your time with that folk. Can't you observe that his ignorance is shouting? Let him get some real education first before delving into the complex topic of economics.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Afam4eva(m): 7:43pm On Mar 29, 2012
Yes, lagos has more population than onitsha but you have to note that the people in onitsha are not retailers but wholesalers because people come from all over west africa to buy stuffs in bulk and take to sell in their country. So, technically onitsha has a big market.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by jason123: 7:46pm On Mar 29, 2012
ACM10:

What are you on about? People are talking about using Asaba or PH airports or renovate the Imo and Enugu airport, you are talking about opposing. How is that opposition. This has nothing to do with Yorubas, Igbo blah. People are simply analysing the issue. At the end of the day, we are not the ones that will build these airports.

I'll only answer 3.
They have a choices. They can come through Abuja. Its their choice. Even most Northerners I know, use the Abuja airport before connecting to Kano airport.

Airports

Airport names shown in bold have scheduled passenger service on commercial airlines.
City served State ICAO IATA Airport name
International airports [1]
Abuja FCT DNAA ABV Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport [1]
Kano Kano DNKN KAN Mallam Aminu Kano International Airport [2]
Lagos / Ikeja Lagos DNMM LOS Murtala Muhammed International Airport [3]
Port Harcourt Rivers DNPO PHC Port Harcourt International Airport [4]

Major domestic airports [2]
Calabar Cross River DNCA CBQ Margaret Ekpo International Airport (Calabar Airport) [5]
Enugu Enugu DNEN ENU Akanu Ibiam International Airport (Enugu Airport) [6]
Jos Plateau DNJO JOS Yakubu Gowon Airport (Jos Airport) [7]
Kaduna Kaduna DNKA KAD Kaduna Airport [8]
Maiduguri Borno DNMA MIU Maiduguri International Airport (Maiduguri Airport) [9]
Sokoto Sokoto DNSO SKO Sadiq Abubakar III International Airport (Sultan Saddik Abubakar Airport) [10]
Yola Adamawa DNYO YOL Yola Airport [11]
Other domestic airports [3]
Asaba Delta DNAS ABB Asaba International Airport [12]
Akure Ondo DNAK AKR Akure Airport [13]
Bauchi Bauchi DNBA BCU Bauchi Airport [14]
Benin Edo DNBE BNI Benin Airport [15]
Gombe Gombe DNGO Gombe Lawanti International Airport
Ibadan Oyo DNIB IBA Ibadan Airport [16]
Ilorin Kwara DNIL ILR Ilorin Airport [17]
Katsina Katsina DNKT KTN Katsina Airport [18]
Makurdi Benue DNMK MDI Makurdi Airport [19]
Minna Niger DNMN MXJ Minna Airport [20]
Owerri Imo DNIM QOW Sam Mbakwe Airport [21]
Warri Delta DNSU QRW Warri Airport [22]
Zaria Kaduna DNZA ZAR Zaria Airport [23]
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by chino11(m): 7:48pm On Mar 29, 2012
[quote author=jason123]

I heard as well that Onitsha is the largest but to be honest, if not for the internet, I would have not known anything about Onitsha. With that said, sorry to say but I feel PH has nor potential than Onitsha. Why, apart from having a similar environment to Lagos, it can boast of a Sea port coupled with her already international airport. Any FG official will ask himself, why should I build three when PH airport is just few minutes away from Imo or Abia? Again, the so-called river-port at Onitsha. The same thing was said, now that it is dredged, do the Onitsha traders utilise it? No. Why is that? A majority still import through Lagos and PH.

And who told you that they won't be using the Onitsha Port? The port is yet to be commissioned and the official date for commissioning of the port has been set in May of this year, 2 months away. This link may help you out.

http://nigerianpilot.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3759:onitsha-river-port-ready-in-may-minister&catid=39:africa
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by jason123: 7:49pm On Mar 29, 2012
afam4eva: Yes, lagos has more population than onitsha but you have to note that the people in onitsha are not retailers but wholesalers because people come from all over west africa to buy stuffs in bulk and take to sell in their country. So, technically onitsha has a big market.

Afam, for educational purposes only; do the Lagos Igbo traders go to Onitsha to buy goods or do they simply buy them when its arrives in can tin port to save them transportation money?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (18) (Reply)

Test Run Of Port Harcourt Mono Rail (photo) / Governor Sanwo-Olu Is My Father - Man Says, Alongside His Mother (Pics, Video) / How Peter Obi Supporter Was Caught Posing As A Northerner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.