Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,142 members, 7,957,265 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 10:06 AM

South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports (33217 Views)

PDP Only Needs Three Senators To Produce Senate President - Yerima / Senators On Tour Of Federal Roads In South-East Nigeria (Photos) / Nigeria Needs President Buhari As Minister Of Defence, Not Petroleum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Abagworo(m): 12:14am On Mar 30, 2012
re@lchange:

my brother dont mind that guy. he has a big problem. his complex hatred for onitsha makes him to lose his marbles. cheesy cheesy

I have no reason to hate Onitsha because it is part of Nigeria and I am a Nigerian. I want development everywhere but there's no need to lie about issues.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Nobody: 12:19am On Mar 30, 2012
Onlytruth: Now that I'm back, I want to thank realchange nwoke oma for getting my message and putting it effectively across.
I also want to thank all those who contributed to the debate without prejudices (though they are quite few here, lol).
ndu_chucks, please stay away from this thread because a fox would never support the idea that a chicken grows teeth. So, I understand you well. undecided

Olodostein nwanne I think you are viewing this as if this is some Anambra state thing. I noted in your first post here where you warned that this idea should be collective and should not be "about superiority complex". Nna my survival race is a shameless race. I run like mad without caring what folks might think! It is part of your duty as nwa afo Igbo to push for the Owerri one. Please don't tell me that you don't believe that Owerri deserves an international airport. I would be very sad if you believe that.

I maintain that if you sit down and think, you would see that the only reason SE is losing large population is because there is no international access from SE. You gave an example of Kano international airport which is undergoing a massive transformation and expansion. Why do you think that is the case?

Do you think that a toad runs in the daytime for nothing?

Why should we be encouraging other zones to develop international airports, but when it comes to Igboland people remember that we don't have roads? Do jumbo jets ride on highways? Why should we continue to wait for federal government to fix roads when we can get international investors/concessionaires to produce world class roads and collect tolls on them? For how many years have we waited for roads and bridges and electricity and the like? Let me guess, at least 45 years! Has it happened? NO!

The core idea here is for us to take our destiny in our own hands and partner with foreign investors to build world class businesses which would sustain our economy long after Nigeria's oil wells dried up. Without international access, Igboland will continue to depend on others and can NEVER overtake them. What if those others decide to go at tortoise pace? That means that Igboland must go at snails pace! Meanwhile we continue to wait for roads and electricity, when we are the most cheated zone in the sharing scheme of the Nigerian rogue system.

We need those INTERNATIONAL airports! cool

The bolded is the POINT!

Eze Ndigbo Nairaland, I emphasized on the the superiority complex thing because some of our folks on here from their approach to issues regarding the South East are fond of arrogantly positing themselves to be at the head of the table. When we should concentrate on collectively pushing the whole Eastern region ahead. Such attitude should never be tolerated and it is not my nature to accommodate or to ignore it.

It is my understanding that you passionately mean well to see the East develop into an economic hub including having standard international airports. Of course, I would want to see one in Owerri, but at this juncture, basic things like health, agriculture,education and developing indigenous expertise of international standard is of more primary concern. I don't find it funny that not one university from the East is among top 20 best universities in Africa.

Rochas would definitely want to see one in Owerri and he has talked about it. However, he is not short sighted in making health and education his top priorities and given scholarships despite Imo having one of the highest literacy rate in the country. The dividends will manifest years to come and that will in turn creat a secure, civilized,democratic, stable, innovative and prosperous society.

One of the major reasons SE is running helter skelter is because we lack a collective philosophy. I am sorry to say, we are like sheep's without shepherd. We may share common interest and destiny but there is a fundamental lack of value consensus in our community. In my view, that is the essence of region/nation building. That is what Ojukwu tried to relay to us but unfortunately we haven't grasp it yet. We see and adore him as one who fought for the benefits of all of us and have not taken look at the CORE message. I have not come across his written works but if there is none, then that core message may be lost forever.

My contention is, you do not build a region with concretes but with ideas and ingenuity. The State of Israel started with agriculture and by building top universities and today, they have the highest number of engineers per capital and the highest number of PhD's. They can build their own airports without given the contracts to FOREIGN firms. In fact, no country can match them in technology. That is how to build a civilization. We should learn from them.

Contrastingly,in our own case, we will have to give the contracts to some Foreign firms, import materials for building the airports. We often like to talk about how big this or that market is and love throwing economic jargon's here and there without acknowledging the fact that the Fiat money that boost trades in these markets come from only one source,Oil. What is our indigenous inventions?
Oh, we also like to boast about how so so and so man has this or that company in his hometown by monopolizing the market. But just take a very look at those companies and you would see that they were built and run by foreigners, the Chinese, etc.

I mentioned Kano, because it is a slap in our face from President GEJ. He is bound on pleasing the Northerners first and foremost. Despite the BH menace, there are major projects going on in the North. Have you seen the SURE bulletin? You would be surprised to see how very few projects were allocated for the East. What made you think that he will kowtow to your demands of 3 international airports? To make matters even worse, our Eastern governors are being sycophants in the corridors of Aso rock. GEJ can only give us symbolic victory just like he did during Ojukwu's burial, but on practical issues, politics comes to play. We Ndigbo need to learn how to play politics. Just like Aristotle stated that "man is by nature a political animal". We need to understand that it is not about permanent friends but permanent interest.

Nevertheless, that is why we need a grass root approach. We have the brains. We need to invest in our young ones and future generation to think for themselves. Our people in the diaspora, if they are so willing to contribute, should come back with all the knowledge and certificates they have got to impact them on those at home, so that we all can collectively build a strong foundation. Instead of littering mansions all over the places, we can use those lands to make the East self sufficient in food. I see no reason why everyone wants to own 10 mansions in one of the land deprived regions in Nigeria. We need solid modern architectural designs that will complement a good road and rail network. We have to start thinking on how to generate our own electricity and so on.

When all these things are put into place, international airports will naturally follow suit.

Timing and setting priorities straight can go a long way in making the snail accomplish more than the tortoise.

If we wait for the FG, my guy, we go OLD.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by aljharem(m): 12:21am On Mar 30, 2012
^^^^^^^^

So you have read the SURE program, Good !!!! Maybe some of you would see why I tackle Beaf each day on this forum and why the northern leaders are not happy
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by ACM10: 12:41am On Mar 30, 2012
Abagworo:

I don't make assertions but I prefer using measurable standards. Ogun is a State and Onitsha is a town.Ogun has two towns as large as Onitsha(maybe not as populous). If you had used Abeokuta or Otta or Shagamu or Ijebu Ode,I would accept your assertion but that of comparing Onitsha to the entire Ogun is a fallacy.
Ok.
Replace Onitsha with Anambra in my comment.

Abagworo:
@bolded. You had to lie just to prove a non existent point. When last I passed that road, it was not smooth between Uli and Ihiala which is roughly 3km.
I only commented as an eye witness

Abagworo:
I do Assumpta to Mgbidi 20mins and another 25mins for Mgbidi to Awada.
Is Awada part of Onitsha?
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Obiagu1(m): 12:45am On Mar 30, 2012
Do we really need 3 international airports in the SE?
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Nobody: 1:11am On Mar 30, 2012
alj harem: ^^^^^^^^

So you have read the SURE program, Good !!!! Maybe some of you would see why I tackle Beaf each day on this forum and why the northern leaders are not happy

That Beaf can be very unreal.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Abagworo(m): 1:30am On Mar 30, 2012
ACM10:

Is Awada part of Onitsha?

That is mere politics of pride. Onitsha being the larger town takes the address. We all know its partly Obosi. Maybe if it was Nkpor, I could agree on it not being Onitsha but for Awada we can't differentiate.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 3:46am On Mar 30, 2012
Olodostein:

The bolded is the POINT!

Eze Ndigbo Nairaland, I emphasized on the the superiority complex thing because some of our folks on here from their approach to issues regarding the South East are fond of arrogantly positing themselves to be at the head of the table. When we should concentrate on collectively pushing the whole Eastern region ahead. Such attitude should never be tolerated and it is not my nature to accommodate or to ignore it.

It is my understanding that you passionately mean well to see the East develop into an economic hub including having standard international airports. Of course, I would want to see one in Owerri, but at this juncture, basic things like health, agriculture,education and developing indigenous expertise of international standard is of more primary concern. I don't find it funny that not one university from the East is among top 20 best universities in Africa.

My brother the bolded has been our dream for decades now and it has not happened because there is only so much one can do without international interaction. Secondly, nothing stops us from attempting to continue developing all those sectors you mentioned simultaneously with partnering with private capital to develop and give us a befitting international gateway which would support the development efforts

Rochas would definitely want to see one in Owerri and he has talked about it. However, he is not short sighted in making health and education his top priorities and given scholarships despite Imo having one of the highest literacy rate in the country. The dividends will manifest years to come and that will in turn creat a secure, civilized,democratic, stable, innovative and prosperous society.

One of the major reasons SE is running helter skelter is because we lack a collective philosophy. I am sorry to say, we are like sheep's without shepherd. We may share common interest and destiny but there is a fundamental lack of value consensus in our community. In my view, that is the essence of region/nation building. That is what Ojukwu tried to relay to us but unfortunately we haven't grasp it yet. We see and adore him as one who fought for the benefits of all of us and have not taken look at the CORE message. I have not come across his written works but if there is none, then that core message may be lost forever.

My contention is, you do not build a region with concretes but with ideas and ingenuity. The State of Israel started with agriculture and by building top universities and today, they have the highest number of engineers per capital and the highest number of PhD's. They can build their own airports without given the contracts to FOREIGN firms. In fact, no country can match them in technology. That is how to build a civilization. We should learn from them.

Exactly my brother! cool Please note that apart from the State of Israel, the US (New york specifically) hosts the highest concentration of Jews in the world. There is a CONSTANT synergy between the Jewish diaspora and the stte of Israel. In fact, one of my lecturers here when I was doing my masters program, was a female professor from a university in Israel (Tel Aviv). She spoke with a little accent, but she was as smart as they come. There is constant exchange of academics between the two countries.
Do you know what Igbo diaspora can do to our universities in the East if they can fly in and out with ease?
I maintain that our journey to development would be EXPEDITED if we have easy international access from SE. For me, it is more important than discovering the next oil field in SE. It can take us to a level of sustainability never seen in Nigeria before. Now, all they do in Nigeria is to troop to Abuja every month to collect hand outs. That is how they hope to build all those infrastructure, and they keep wondering why we still don't have them. It has been 12 years since we returned to democracy. I still can't see the good roads, hospitals, schools etc. It would never happen as fast and as sustainable as we want, until we have international access.
I have already discussed the skills gap between Nigeria and foreign (first world countries). That gap needs to close before we have any real expectation of developing.

Contrastingly,in our own case, we will have to give the contracts to some Foreign firms, import materials for building the airports. We often like to talk about how big this or that market is and love throwing economic jargon's here and there without acknowledging the fact that the Fiat money that boost trades in these markets come from only one source,Oil. What is our indigenous inventions?
Oh, we also like to boast about how so so and so man has this or that company in his hometown by monopolizing the market. But just take a very look at those companies and you would see that they were built and run by foreigners, the Chinese, etc.

You are right that we have foreigners helping us to build things, but we are gradually learning. The learning process would be strengthened by a supporting international gateway infrastructure. Innoson for instance needs easy international access to maintain the level of technology skills acquisition necessary to one day build a wholly Nigerian auto industry. My hunch tells me that he will soon relocate to say Lagos or Abuja because his company is growing, and he still lacks international access.
SE will continue to die and lose people and businesses if we don't have international airports there.

I mentioned Kano, because it is a slap in our face from President GEJ. He is bound on pleasing the Northerners first and foremost. Despite the BH menace, there are major projects going on in the North. Have you seen the SURE bulletin? You would be surprised to see how very few projects were allocated for the East. What made you think that he will kowtow to your demands of 3 international airports? To make matters even worse, our Eastern governors are being sycophants in the corridors of Aso rock. GEJ can only give us symbolic victory just like he did during Ojukwu's burial, but on practical issues, politics comes to play. We Ndigbo need to learn how to play politics. Just like Aristotle stated that "man is by nature a political animal". We need to understand that it is not about permanent friends but permanent interest.

Nevertheless, that is why we need a grass root approach. We have the brains. We need to invest in our young ones and future generation to think for themselves. Our people in the diaspora, if they are so willing to contribute, should come back with all the knowledge and certificates they have got to impact them on those at home, so that we all can collectively build a strong foundation. Instead of littering mansions all over the places, we can use those lands to make the East self sufficient in food. I see no reason why everyone wants to own 10 mansions in one of the land deprived regions in Nigeria. We need solid modern architectural designs that will complement a good road and rail network. We have to start thinking on how to generate our own electricity and so on.

When all these things are put into place, international airports will naturally follow suit.

Timing and setting priorities straight can go a long way in making the snail accomplish more than the tortoise.

If we wait for the FG, my guy, we go OLD.

What we need to learn from the North is to be resolute and even chauvinistic in our demands in Nigeria. They make BOLD demands without caring whose ox is gored.
We even have more unity than they; but we lack militancy of purpose; by that I mean to be ready to bring down the entire system if our needs are not met.
Do you know how long we have appealed for international airports, or the second brigde across the Niger, or a 6th SE state, or federal roads in our zone? It has been for ever! We wake up to the same problems year after year, president after president. We lack the fighting spirit. It is a dangerous mindset for Ndigbo to have in a Nigerian jungle crawling with all types of predators and scavengers.
So, IMHO, we are united enough. We just need to start militant action like everybody else. That's all. cool
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 4:33am On Mar 30, 2012
Obiagu1: Do we really need 3 international airports in the SE?

Yes we do my brother.
Look at it this way. We have THREE development zones in Igboland if you look carefully. There is the Enugu/Nsukka/Abakaliki axis; there is the Anambra/Anioma/Awka/Nnewi axis; then there is the Owerri/Aba/Umuahia/Okigwe/Arochukwu, and Northern Rivers state axis.
Now, like I said before, we (Anambra) can partner with Delta state to upgrade Asaba into a beffiting international airport to serve Anambra state as well. Enugu should become an international airport immediately (I don't think it is yet, if you see any proof please share it with us here, thanks), and Owerri should be upgraded. I cannot say that PH should serve Owerri area because of distance. It is not like Asaba and Onitsha.
I believe that Enugu is an emerging industrial and tourist city, Onitsha is a center of commerce, while Owerri is also an emerging tourist city with Aba as the undisputed center of production and commerce there too. Igboland is really a tripod of sorts. cool
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by GAR3TH(m): 4:42am On Mar 30, 2012
manny4life: secondly of all, you can't compare the international airport standard of Lagos and PH. If you're an airliner who flies into Nigeria, assuming that airports are categorized into A, b, and C based upon progression (facilities, equipments, etc), would you fly to an airport of Cat A or C, being that Cat A is higher than Cat C?

I dont think you understand why an airport is considered international or not. It has to do with airport equipment and NOT A FANCY TERMINAL. I can build a small 10 sqaure foot shack and it will be recognized as an international airport as long as I have the required infrastructural, technological and circulation equipment that can accommodate international flights. I agree that lagos does have a larger terminal than PH, which leads to more passengers, but thats not the point. The point is the ratio to the total number of flights. According to FAAN Lagos received 2,749,000 domestic passengers and 2,300,000 international passenger, A ratio of about 1:1. Kano, yes Kano, received 188,722 domestic passengers and 134,760 international passengers [high demand most likely cause by pilgrimage], again a ratio of about 1:1. But port harcourt received 1,034,506 domestic passengers but only 47,081 international passengers, a ratio of 22:1. Thats the difference I'm talking about. Abuja and some other cities also have the same problem, High Domestic demand but Little International demand. What I'm saying is that building 3 airports with such a low international demand is suicide. Right now is not the best time to be considering Airports. link

That is the strong difference between the both; they both have designation of "International", but one has a lil more standard than the other, hence the reason why they travel further out to board flights because the lower standards needs upgrades for large airliners to come in... got it? It does not mean that PH or SE doesn't have the economic potential, it just means that PH doesn't have the infrastructural capacity to meet the international designation of an airport. In addition to that, you have to account for all other limiting factors why both airlines and airports and even the govt affecting the airport.

KLM and some other international carries fly to port harcourt, The companies are there but like I said the demand is not.

Second no one is saying the south east has no current of future economic potential, people are just saying there is no demand in the south east and[b] most parts of nigeria[/b] for more international airports.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 4:59am On Mar 30, 2012
Thought I need to share this to support my position. cool

[size=14pt]Sub Sahara Africa needs $93bn annually to meet infrastructure challenge – Commissioner[/size]

Sub-Saharan Africa needs $93 billion investment per annum to meet infrastructural challenge says the Commissioner for Economic Planning, Delta State, Mr. Kenneth Okpara.

Speaking during an event tagged; “Public Private Partnership, catalyst of economic development in Africa,” organised by the Nigerian-South African Chamber of Commerce (NSACC) and the Warri Industrial Park Limited (WIPL), Okpara said, “the World Bank did a report recently which they titled “towards better infrastructure” that report indicates that in order for us to reach a reasonable level of infrastructure development in Africa to develop economically, we need to be investing about $93billion per annum in sub-Saharan Africa.”

The Commissioner who represented the Governor of Delta state, Dr. Emmanuel Uduaghan, added that Public Private Partnership is instrumental to bridging infrastructural gap in Africa.

He explained that out of the $93 billion, the government contribution to the private sector summed up to about 45 billion dollar, saying, “there is also about 17 inefficiency waste which if we are able to minimize efficiently we will need just about $30 billion per annum.”

Going by predictions that Africa would be the next focus of global development, he said lack of adequate infrastructure and good governance are two major constraints that could hamper Africa the opportunity of global development.

Speaking on Public Private Partnership (PPP), he said financing infrastructural development in Africa would be sourced from the PPP and the Bond market.

“But you know we have limitation on the bond market in Africa because of the level of development of our bond market. So it is PPP that is recommended and I think is the way to go in Africa in order to meet the infrastructure gap that we have identified.”

He said PPP has been unable to strive in Africa consequence to constraint of raising the finance that is required, as well as lack of the enabling environment that is required to move PPP forward.

According to him, “most of us are targeting foreign investors to come in and participate in PPP but for foreign investors that would be interested in coming to Africa, they need to also raise finance from their bankers, from their countries or elsewhere in the world, but we have a limitation in Africa, this indication borders on our ratings. Most Africa countries apart from South Africa are below investment rate, BB-.”

Recalling the global financial meltdown which saw $15 billion capital flight from Africa by foreign investors of which 50 per cent was from Nigeria, especially the banking industry in Nigeria.

He said, “That is the danger of completely relying on foreign investors to finance your PPP.” He said some of the limitations of getting local finance includes; the size of the banks, short term loan, banks in Africa do not have experience of project financing and inadequate law to regulate PPP transactions.

He further said “In Delta State, we have a team looking beyond oil; we are trying to leverage on our resources for oil. We want to go into industrial park; we have the Warri Industrial Park, Koko Free Trade Zone.

Okpara revealed that the state has partnered NNPC to achieve these initiative, in which it has gotten licensed for and now soliciting for investors.

The Asaba ICT Park focusing on ICT, so we intend to use the PPP approach to fund these special economic zone and we have done things we believe will make investors show interest of coming. We have about three investors already in Koko free trade zone, and we have a lot of others interested in Warri Industrial Park, he said.

Meanwhile, he said the state has security problem in which it is addressing. “I know is all over the country, we believe that issue of security especially in Nigeria has to do with youth unemployment, we are doing a lot of project like partnering with World Bank to create employment and build the capacity of these people and give them vocation that they need and take them off the streets.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/03/ssa-needs-93bn-annually-to-meet-infrastructure-challenge-commissioner/
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 5:02am On Mar 30, 2012
Anytime you want to tell Nigerians that certain infrastructure is necessary, they can't think past oil revenues.
The fact remains that future projects would be funded more and more by private capital. FACT.
How would a zone of less oil revenue cope with the demands of infrastructure development, if not to connect to investors both local and foreign. How would a foreign investor invest in an inaccessible region?
Ain't happening.

We need these airports! cool
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Nobody: 5:03am On Mar 30, 2012
ACM10:

Can you imagine this bushman. Pls locate and engage Dayokanu, Ileke-idi, Eko-ile and other folks that are on par with your level of cognition.

I will be honoured to be on the same list as these guys you mentioned, rather than ignorant folks like you who believe an open stall market is all there is to a market.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Nobody: 5:09am On Mar 30, 2012
manny4life:

Huh, like seriously?

What is a market? Is a market not a place/medium/forum/platform where you purchase/trade/exchange/offer goods and services? Please what is the difference between marketplace and a market? How can you have a market without the medium? undecided undecided undecided

Wall Street - Isn't that the Financial Capital Market or Marketplace of the U.S. and ranking in top 5 in the world?

I chose the wrong word bro. I meant an open stall market, rather than a "marketplace" which is a little ambiguous.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 5:13am On Mar 30, 2012
GAR3TH:

I dont think you understand why an airport is considered international or not. It has to do with airport equipment and NOT A FANCY TERMINAL. I can build a small 10 sqaure foot shack and it will be recognized as an international airport as long as I have the required infrastructural, technological and circulation equipment that can accommodate international flights. I agree that lagos does have a larger terminal than PH, which leads to more passengers, but thats not the point. The point is the ratio to the total number of flights. According to FAAN Lagos received 2,749,000 domestic passengers and 2,300,000 international passenger, A ratio of about 1:1. Kano, yes Kano, received 188,722 domestic passengers and 134,760 international passengers [high demand most likely cause by pilgrimage], again a ratio of about 1:1. But port harcourt received 1,034,506 domestic passengers but only 47,081 international passengers, a ratio of 22:1. Thats the difference I'm talking about. Abuja and some other cities also have the same problem, High Domestic demand but Little International demand. What I'm saying is that building 3 airports with such a low international demand is suicide. Right now is not the best time to be considering Airports. link

KLM and some other international carries fly to port harcourt, The companies are there but like I said the demand is not.

Second no one is saying the south east has no current of future economic potential, people are just saying there is no demand in the south east and most parts of nigeria for more international airports

How can people demand something that does not exist?
Have you ever been to a bus stop and seen people looking to board airplanes?
How would you measure demand for international flights in Nigeria's regions if you don't conduct a one year PASSENGER BASED survey/data collection on all flights entering and leaving Nigeria, to know things like REAL [/b]Origins and [b]FINAL destinations of travellers?
Do you know where those fliers originated from in Nigeria, and where they are going in Nigeria. Do you just look at total airport traffic volume and end there? Why not complete the airports first in the SE and then collect the data?
I don't know whether you are not thinking, or that you are deliberately being mischievious.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by CaptBarbosa: 5:34am On Mar 30, 2012
Stop crying to FG and hold your eastern governors responsible for whatever facility you want. Delta state and Akwa Ibom buiilt a world class airports without making noise. Lagos state is "manufacturing" a world class airport, the largest in africa with capability of landing jumbo jets on her Lekki free trade zone space without sending a "beggers bowl" to the FG or shout over the pages of internet by displaying expired victim card.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by BlackPikiN(m): 5:35am On Mar 30, 2012
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by EkoIle1: 6:13am On Mar 30, 2012
Laziness and dependency is what's killing ibo people and their leaders. While other states are moving on and building their own infrastructures, these lazy people are crying as usual canoeport, airport and everything under the sun....

SMH.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by chino11(m): 9:20am On Mar 30, 2012
Onlytruth:

Yes we do my brother.
Look at it this way. We have THREE development zones in Igboland if you look carefully. There is the Enugu/Nsukka/Abakaliki axis; there is the Anambra/Anioma/Awka/Nnewi axis; then there is the Owerri/Aba/Umuahia/Okigwe/Arochukwu, and Northern Rivers state axis.
Now, like I said before, we (Anambra) can partner with Delta state to upgrade Asaba into a beffiting international airport to serve Anambra state as well. Enugu should become an international airport immediately (I don't think it is yet, if you see any proof please share it with us here, thanks), and Owerri should be upgraded. I cannot say that PH should serve Owerri area because of distance. It is not like Asaba and Onitsha.
I believe that Enugu is an emerging industrial and tourist city, Onitsha is a center of commerce, while Owerri is also an emerging tourist city with Aba as the undisputed center of production and commerce there too. Igboland is really a tripod of sorts. cool

Eze Onlytruth, I think I may disagree with you on the area of Anambra going into any kind of agreement with any state whatsoever just to develop or upgrade an airport, when Anambra and its people can afford to build a world class international airport that can serve the major cities of Onitsha, Awka, Nnewi also touch other areas as neighboring states and major towns of Nsukka, Kogi and other adjoining SE states.

As I type this piece, Anambra state government in partnership with Orient Petroleum has acquired hectares of land through my ministry for the development of Cargo/Passenger airport in Anambra East/West very close to the refinery facility.

I so much think that issue of having such an airport in Anambra is a done deal. We may start campaigning for Enugu state to be crown international airport too, because from a genuine analysis these two major economic SE states that really needs the airport for economic gains of the zone again the coming on stream of Onitsha Port will be a major plus for the zone.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by oneeast: 9:34am On Mar 30, 2012
Capt.Barbosa=Eko ile: Is this the so called infrastructure You are not ashamed of ill self, I make bold to say that the least SE city or hamlet is far more advanced than any state capital in the youroba land. Go figure. The most backward region in Nigeria is SW. Or do you want to claim lagos which is mostly developed by FG, Igbo and Hausas.

Below is typical of what Yorubas could achieve in the 21st century.

Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by chino11(m): 10:53am On Mar 30, 2012
Umunne mu Realchange and ACM10, leave that inferior guy call Abagworo, he is always attacking anything positive mostly from the largest economic hub of the east- Onitsha.
Always ignore him and his eddiotic madness he had been brandishing on this forum. I pity him, because he will have heart attack when the International Cargo/Passenger Airport coming up in Anambra north near Onitsha comes on stream. Dalu nu
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by achi4u(m): 12:32pm On Mar 30, 2012
Haven read all the comments-both positive and trash from ndi Yoruba nri them,i now agreed that SE need just 2 intern'al airport one at Enugu and Onistha.our suffering will surely be reduced,but our neighbours are afriad of us thinking that we might import their death.thank you Onlytruth,ACM10,chino11 etc.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Dede1(m): 1:17pm On Mar 30, 2012
GAR3TH:

Second no one is saying the south east has no current of future economic potential, people are just saying there is no demand in the south east and[b] most parts of nigeria[/b] for more international airports.

The constant projection of skewed statistics to support tribally biased argument is one of the reasons Nigeria will never see the bright side of the world. You can not even correctly name one airline that flies into the so-called Port Harcourt airport. Besides KLM and Air France, there is no other international carrier that goes to Port Harcourt. Even the two have allied into SkyTeam which means you get one for two.

These nonsensical figures and ratios could only mean a thing if the number of carriers granted landing permit to fly to Lagos or Kano is equal to number of carriers granted landing permit to fly to Port Harcourt. You can not have EDUCATION without U.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by manny4life(m): 3:20pm On Mar 30, 2012
GAR3TH:

First, dude read my post clearly before you type, I never said anything about fancy looks and terminal, in fact look at some of my post clearly, let me reiterate what I said what Airport Standards look like.

manny4life:

In my practical opinion, again my own opinion , there are two types of standards of exceptions and in this case,

1. You have the IATA and ICAO standards required for certification et al

2. You have the Competitive structural standards... This is the most important because this can either make or break you though you meet the first one. This is where Architecture takes place, this is where design and innovation goes to another level. This types of standards gives convenience, reliability, accessibility etc.

Having said that, it looks to me like you're in lala world, just here your quote; "I can build a small 10 sqaure foot shack and it will be recognized as an international airport as long as I have the required infrastructural, technological and circulation equipment that can accommodate international flights". The structural, technological, and circulation equipment fall under what part? undecided undecided undecided Are they not part of structural design and engineering? Didn't they fit into same thing I said about (facilities, equipments)? I do not claim to be an engineer, but brother, you seem to be misleading yourself. Do you think it's the same equipment that is used in Cat A airports is the same used for Cat C (per my example)? You made me laugh because it's either you're ignorant to how airports work or you simply just playing jokes...

I would have gone further to dissect it for you how structural standards (facilities, equipments, technology, etc) affect the standard of an airport, but it wouldn't be worth the time. Ask yourself, how many B747's fly into Nigeria and how many of them fly into several airports around the world? Do you think that these airports were certified? Or do you think that (per your quote) the airport did not have the required infrastructural, technological and circulation equipment? Even required infrastructural, technological and circulation equipment have standards and classes? I get this question quite often, "why is it that the A380 land at only a handful of airports around the world"? Go figure, I'll let you answer that question based on your premise about infrastructural, technological and circulation equipment.

Again, had you read my post, I am not advocating of three international airports, what I've alway maintained is that one airport of international standard (infrastructure [size=14pt][/size](facilities and equipments that included advanced circulatory system, probably LEED Green Certification) ) etc

Besides, I do not trust FAAN numbers, they look like they're are made up ###
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Nobody: 3:30pm On Mar 30, 2012
Onlytruth:

My brother the bolded has been our dream for decades now and it has not happened because there is only so much one can do without international interaction. Secondly, [b]nothing stops us from attempting to continue developing all those sectors you mentioned simultaneously with partnering with private capital [/b]to develop and give us a befitting international gateway which would support the development efforts

Exactly my brother! cool Please note that apart from the State of Israel, the US (New york specifically) hosts the highest concentration of Jews in the world. There is a CONSTANT synergy between the Jewish diaspora and the stte of Israel. In fact, one of my lecturers here when I was doing my masters program, was a female professor from a university in Israel (Tel Aviv). She spoke with a little accent, but she was as smart as they come. There is constant exchange of academics between the two countries.
Do you know what Igbo diaspora can do to our universities in the East if they can fly in and out with ease?
I maintain that our journey to development would be EXPEDITED if we have easy international access from SE. For me, it is more important than discovering the next oil field in SE. It can take us to a level of sustainability never seen in Nigeria before. Now, all they do in Nigeria is to troop to Abuja every month to collect hand outs. That is how they hope to build all those infrastructure, and they keep wondering why we still don't have them. It has been 12 years since we returned to democracy. I still can't see the good roads, hospitals, schools etc. It would never happen as fast and as sustainable as we want, until we have international access.
I have already discussed the skills gap between Nigeria and foreign (first world countries). That gap needs to close before we have any real expectation of developing.

You are right that we have foreigners helping us to build things, but we are gradually learning. The learning process would be strengthened by a supporting international gateway infrastructure. Innoson for instance needs easy international access to maintain the level of technology skills acquisition necessary to one day build a wholly Nigerian auto industry. My hunch tells me that he will soon relocate to say Lagos or Abuja because his company is growing, and he still lacks international access.
SE will continue to die and lose people and businesses if we don't have international airports there.

What we need to learn from the North is to be resolute and even chauvinistic in our demands in Nigeria. They make BOLD demands without caring whose ox is gored.
We even have more unity than they; but we lack militancy of purpose; by that I mean to be ready to bring down the entire system if our needs are not met.
Do you know how long we have appealed for international airports, or the second brigde across the Niger, or a 6th SE state, or federal roads in our zone? It has been for ever! We wake up to the same problems year after year, president after president. We lack the fighting spirit. It is a dangerous mindset for Ndigbo to have in a Nigerian jungle crawling with all types of predators and scavengers.
So, IMHO, we are united enough. We just need to start militant action like everybody else. That's all. cool

Nwanne Mmadu,you make a very good case. I absolutely agree with you that we need international gateways, airports and seaport. We just have to be very calculative.

Partnering with private capital sounds very practical. How do we go about structuring it so that serious minded individuals from the East can pioneer and move the initiative forward?

The bolded part could manifest soon. We are watching. GEJ should take note. Seems he is not taking us serious.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Obiagu1(m): 3:51pm On Mar 30, 2012
Onlytruth:

Yes we do my brother.

You have a point but in my opinion, a maximum of 2 will be enough. Enugu International Airport could serve both Onitsha and Asaba, a mere 1 hour drive. PH could serve Owerri or vise versa (1 Hour drive). What we need are standard international airports and roads.
We may have as many domestic and cargo airports as possible but international airport in a different thing except you want every state to have an international airport.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 5:04pm On Mar 30, 2012
Olodostein:

Nwanne Mmadu,you make a very good case. I absolutely agree with you that we need international gateways, airports and seaport. We just have to be very calculative.

Partnering with private capital sounds very practical. How do we go about structuring it so that serious minded individuals from the East can pioneer and move the initiative forward?

The bolded part could manifest soon. We are watching. GEJ should take note. Seems he is not taking us serious.

You are correct my brother. I really think that our leaders are lying to us. I am yet to see an Igbo leader openly asking questions about all these facilities. Nna something is seriously wrong somewhere. My eyes opened big time after the Jerry Rawlings incident during Ojukwu burial. The man thought that Enugu airport is international and took off hoping to land there. He was forced to land in Lagos. He had to take off again in Lagos, and by the time he got to Enugu it was dark and he had to land in the dark. I bet you that if he was told that he couldn't land in Enugu from Ghana, he probably would have decided not to attend, after all who likes to take off and land aimlessly?
That was when it became clear to me that Enugu is not an international airport. Meanwhile our leaders are all quiet in the face of that deception. I am tired of playing along at the expense of Ndigbo. We need these airports because we deserve them and others have enjoyed same for decades. The more aware our people are about this, the greater our chance of ever having one. Never forget that there are elements inside Nigeria who would rather die than see SE with international airport access. The fight is that tough; that is why every Igbo should be ready to fight it to a logical end. cool
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 5:07pm On Mar 30, 2012
Obiagu1:

You have a point but in my opinion, a maximum of 2 will be enough. Enugu International Airport could serve both Onitsha and Asaba, a mere 1 hour drive. PH could serve Owerri or vise versa (1 Hour drive). What we need are standard international airports and roads.
We may have as many domestic and cargo airports as possible but international airport in a different thing except you want every state to have an international airport.

Nwanne, idighizi abia nzuko umunna. O bu maka ya ka ijighi mara ihe anyi kpebiri. Biko zitere m ozi ka m gwa gi nke na eme eme. wink
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Nobody: 10:17pm On Mar 30, 2012
Onlytruth:

You are correct my brother. I really think that our leaders are lying to us. I am yet to see an Igbo leader openly asking questions about all these facilities. Nna something is seriously wrong somewhere. My eyes opened big time after the Jerry Rawlings incident during Ojukwu burial. The man thought that Enugu airport is international and took off hoping to land there. He was forced to land in Lagos. He had to take off again in Lagos, and by the time he got to Enugu it was dark and he had to land in the dark. I bet you that if he was told that he couldn't land in Enugu from Ghana, he probably would have decided not to attend, after all who likes to take off and land aimlessly?
That was when it became clear to me that Enugu is not an international airport. Meanwhile our leaders are all quiet in the face of that deception. I am tired of playing along at the expense of Ndigbo. We need these airports because we deserve them and others have enjoyed same for decades. The more aware our people are about this, the greater our chance of ever having one. Never forget that there are elements inside Nigeria who would rather die than see SE with international airport access. The fight is that tough; that is why every Igbo should be ready to fight it to a logical end. cool

That is where the real problem lies. Our Eastern leaders are sell outs. It is time for a grass root movement to restructure things and to call them to order. Without such action, we will remain stagnant with no concrete infrastructure. We need to start scrutinizing them thoroughly, from the House of Rep members to Governors,etc.

It is going to be a tough battle, the question is, are we ready for the fight ahead?
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 6:20pm On Mar 31, 2012
Enugu International Airport is paramount. I have every faith that an ultra modern state of the art structure of 21st century fitting will be erected at Enugu.cheesy cheesy It makes sense as Nigeria at this point should be moving forward in line with the international community and not backwards. Other airports in Port Harcourt, Lagos and Abuja also looks sub-standard and should be upgraded in future.

Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 7:10pm On Mar 31, 2012
My people, the dynamics of the future demand that we have THREE international airports. We must have ENUGU as promised. It is NOT there yet!

We must have one at Onitsha or Asaba because it would serve Anambra business at Onitsha, Nnewi and the new oil infrastructure at Otuocha amongst others.
We need one at Owerri to serve Imo, Abia and even parts of Anambra and Rivers states. I really hope that my Imo and Abia brothers would take up this agitation because I don't want to be advocating for something they may not be enthusiastic about, or need. Apart from Dede1, I have not seen any strong input from my Imo brothers on that. Abagworo is only interested in proving that Anambra state and Igboland is the most densely populated areas in Nigeria; but when it comes to supporting the idea of international airports for these populations, he balks! I need my Imo/Abia brothers to join me in this agitation, else I would be forced to drop the idea of Owerri international airport because our message has to make sense.

I decided to focus on airports within SE geo-zone because I don't want to hang the fight on people who may not be as enthusiastic as I in demanding them; or people who I cannot pressure due to their being in difference geopolitical zones. I, for example, know that PH is there in the same East, but I am yet to see Gov Amechi in strong business partnership talks with Imo and Abia for example. How do I know that a PH international airport capable of serving Imo and Abia in the new era would ever materialize? That is my point! If I see that, then I would know that I can agitate for PH knowing that Amechi would take up the gauntlet and take the fight to a conclusion.

Basically, I want to hand Ndigbo back their destiny, and defeat this old scheme to keep us dependent on others, and hide our true potentials in Nigeria.
We should be LEADING development in Nigeria because of our level of education and enterprise. We have no business following anybody. cool
We cannot lead if we don't have international airports which link us directly with the outside world.

If Delta state slacks even for a second, I would start advocating for that INTERNATIONAL airport at Onitsha. cool
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 7:34pm On Mar 31, 2012
@Bliss4Lyf

I like the airports. For that quality of airports to happen in SE, we need PRIVATE capital. The only thing the FG needs to do for us is to designate those airports as international and then leave it to the various concerned states/areas to find concessionaires who would develop those types of airports and manage them for agreed number of years.
Let me tell you, if private investors are involved, it would soon become clear to everybody that those airport would end up being the busiest in Nigeria; all of them! cool

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (18) (Reply)

Certificate Saga: My Documents With INEC – Buhari / Election Crisis At Ilejemeje Ekiti State / Has Anyone Ever Confronted Obasanjo And Survived?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 192
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.