Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,815 members, 7,817,364 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:04 AM

Married To An Atheist - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Married To An Atheist (32718 Views)

He Raped Me, Now Getting Married To My Best Friend... / Photos: The Girl Who Got Married To A Portrait Finally Replied Linda Ikeji / Getting Married To A Widower (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Married To An Atheist by modele2: 10:53am On May 25, 2013
All these circle and ends of the earth people...PLEASE STOP, thats what not this thread is about. Common figure of speech and literary style is what is causing commotion!

@poster, many people have advised you well. I believe your only valid concern is with your kids, all you have to do is keep doing what you are doing. Since he has accepted to sow the atheist seed when they are older...its fine, it could evenhelp them become better christians. Their soul is of God, you just do your best to nurture and let the holy spirit take control.

Also be the best wife you can be, if he that is not a christian is such a good man, then it means you that claim to be a christian has to be a better woman, set good examples for him, you have got big shoes to fill.

PS i also learnt something from you i.e. poster i had always tot that it takes only the fear of God to beget a good, faithful husband, now i know there could be other ideologies that work to the good of a marriage. Cheers

2 Likes

Re: Married To An Atheist by andyanders: 10:40pm On May 26, 2013
yolandy: I have been around here for a while. I just created this new id to relate my problems here.

My husband of over 6 years has now become an outspoken atheist. He has been one all along but he has been keeping it on the low. He opened up to me and told me 3 years after we got married. I was shocked but there was nothing I could do. He wasn't really a religious person before we got married and I wasn't as well(I was much more religious than him even at that time). I began to take my religion very seriously after we got married. Now I have an amazing relatioship with God. I take it very seriously, and I put God first in my life. My husband does not. He doesn't rub his atheism on my face, we don't talk about religion, even when we do, it is always me that brings it up but, he sometimes listens and sometimes dismiss what I am saying with a wave of hand or with a laugh. He is a very good man and an excellent husband, he takes very good care of me and my 2 kids, he loves us to death, and does his duty as a father and a husband excellently. I can't wish for a better man.

He is not the type to engage in and argument over religion because he is very smart and always wins. I have seen 3 people engage him and they ended up losing the argument to him. He is widely read and cleaver so I can't even go into an argument with him. His mind is already made up. The problem I have right now is that he is becoming outspoken about his unbelief, back in the days he just keeps it to himself, these days I see him openly mocking and deriding pastors, believers, and anything that has to do with religion and I am not comfortable with that. Last week his elder brother had a heart attack(we live in the same estate), while his brother's wife and family were praying for him, my husband who is a doctor came and told them to shut up and allow him do what he can, he said instead of wasting their time praying to an imaginary God they should go and get the car ready to take him to the hospital because taking him to the hospital is what will save his life not some empty prayers to an imaginary God. Every body was shocked. His actions like these get me very worried. He is now very open about his unbelief and uses it to mock people that come to talk to him about God or religion. Most people I know now dislike him greatly for his unbelief. Rumors are circulating that he is in a secret cult. My pastor and friends in church don't like him. His family dislike him as well but they can't confront him. People now see me as "the wife of that devil" and I am not comfortable with it at all.

Some days ago I over heard him suggesting to my 6 years old son that the stories in the Bible are mere stories. It started when my son asked him why he doesn't pray together with us. I confronted him and he said he just wanted the boy to know how he feels about the Bible. He then said he will wait for our kids to grow up some more before letting them know his position. But I fear with his present outspoken attitude, he will try to poison their young minds and tell them that all the stories inside the Bible are all lies the way he tells any body that comes his way to either preach to him or engage him in any discussion about religion. We aren't having any problems now but I fear that his increasing outspokenness about his atheism will bring problems in our marriage sooner or later. I just hope he will keep quite and keep everything to himself they way he used to before but he won't. I have talked to him but he won't listen. He doesn't go about telling people that they should become atheist like him, but the way he goes about mocking religion and believers when ever the topic comes up is driving me mad. I really fear for our kids. What if something happens to me? I know my kids will become atheist like him, because he will poison their minds. What do I do now? I am really confused. I need advice from matured minds here. Please this should not be taken to the front page. I just want to read the contributions of the matured minds in here. Thank you

Madam, I feel for you and can understand where you are coming from.If you can try go to SCOAN and get anointing water or for prayers, God will intervene.
Note, you cannot handle this physically as it is a thing of the spirit. I pray God to arrest him like Saul and change him to Paul and he will end up preaching the word
Re: Married To An Atheist by nwababy: 10:32am On May 27, 2013
Father Lord!@OP is only prayers that can change the heart of your hubby.The God that changed my dad from he's believe(AMORC)can do it for your husband.When we were growing,my dad refused going to church but never stopped us from attending,he doesn't follow in family prayer(Am a catholic)he always believe to work is to pray and speak it in latin.In 2004,my dad had a very bad health challange that even his Oga at the top couldn't do anything.there's no place we didn't take him but,He who sitted in heaven and made the earth his foot stool healed him;infact he was almost a goner.I thank God today my dad denounced and recognised the fact that it might be occultic cos he entered when he was in the university.@OP my dad is almost like your hubby in terms of argument cos all these Jehova witness self no fit win am for argument(then,we use to enjoy his argument with Jehove witness and he reads awake and also encouraged us to read it).but,at the end,he knew that the supremacy is the almight God.Then,there's no prayers in Catholic that he can't prayer name it.The one he prays most is chaplet of divine mercy cos is only the mercy of God that kept him going.pls@ Aithiest did you guys fall from the sky?educate me on how you came into existence.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Married To An Atheist by Nobody: 10:54am On May 27, 2013
nwababy: Father Lord!@OP is only prayers that can change the heart of your hubby.The God that changed my dad from he's believe(AMORC)can do it for your husband.When we were growing,my dad refused going to church but never stopped us from attending,he doesn't follow in family prayer(Am a catholic)he always believe to work is to pray and speak it in latin.In 2004,my dad had a very bad health challange that even his Oga at the top couldn't do anything.there's no place we didn't take him but,He who sitted in heaven and made the earth his foot stool healed him;infact he was almost a goner.I thank God today my dad denounced and recognised the fact that it might be occultic cos he entered when he was in the university.@OP my dad is almost like your hubby in terms of argument cos all these Jehova witness self no fit win am for argument(then,we use to enjoy his argument with Jehove witness and he reads awake and also encouraged us to read it).but,at the end,he knew that the supremacy is the almight God.Then,there's no prayers in Catholic that he can't prayer name it.The one he prays most is chaplet of divine mercy cos is only the mercy of God that kept him going.pls@ Aithiest did you guys fall from the sky?educate me on how you came into existence.

This is exactly wot i had in mind when i read her post.
Pray that God show prove Himself as the mighty One in the life of ur husband.
The home is urs and u r d only one who can make it stand.
Dont be discourage by wot people ard u are saying
Be strong and b more prayerful
Take ur children to church regularly and engage them in the things of God.
All will b well with u and ur family in Jesus name.
Lets always look b4 we leap.
Re: Married To An Atheist by Nobody: 1:05pm On May 28, 2013
yolandy: I have been around here for a while. I just created this new id to relate my problems here.

My husband of over 6 years has now become an outspoken atheist. He has been one all along but he has been keeping it on the low. He opened up to me and told me 3 years after we got married. I was shocked but there was nothing I could do. He wasn't really a religious person before we got married and I wasn't as well(I was much more religious than him even at that time). I began to take my religion very seriously after we got married. Now I have an amazing relatioship with God. I take it very seriously, and I put God first in my life. My husband does not. He doesn't rub his atheism on my face, we don't talk about religion, even when we do, it is always me that brings it up but, he sometimes listens and sometimes dismiss what I am saying with a wave of hand or with a laugh. He is a very good man and an excellent husband, he takes very good care of me and my 2 kids, he loves us to death, and does his duty as a father and a husband excellently. I can't wish for a better man.

He is not the type to engage in and argument over religion because he is very smart and always wins. I have seen 3 people engage him and they ended up losing the argument to him. He is widely read and cleaver so I can't even go into an argument with him. His mind is already made up. The problem I have right now is that he is becoming outspoken about his unbelief, back in the days he just keeps it to himself, these days I see him openly mocking and deriding pastors, believers, and anything that has to do with religion and I am not comfortable with that. Last week his elder brother had a heart attack(we live in the same estate), while his brother's wife and family were praying for him, my husband who is a doctor came and told them to shut up and allow him do what he can, he said instead of wasting their time praying to an imaginary God they should go and get the car ready to take him to the hospital because taking him to the hospital is what will save his life not some empty prayers to an imaginary God. Every body was shocked. His actions like these get me very worried. He is now very open about his unbelief and uses it to mock people that come to talk to him about God or religion. Most people I know now dislike him greatly for his unbelief. Rumors are circulating that he is in a secret cult. My pastor and friends in church don't like him. His family dislike him as well but they can't confront him. People now see me as "the wife of that devil" and I am not comfortable with it at all.

Some days ago I over heard him suggesting to my 6 years old son that the stories in the Bible are mere stories. It started when my son asked him why he doesn't pray together with us. I confronted him and he said he just wanted the boy to know how he feels about the Bible. He then said he will wait for our kids to grow up some more before letting them know his position. But I fear with his present outspoken attitude, he will try to poison their young minds and tell them that all the stories inside the Bible are all lies the way he tells any body that comes his way to either preach to him or engage him in any discussion about religion. We aren't having any problems now but I fear that his increasing outspokenness about his atheism will bring problems in our marriage sooner or later. I just hope he will keep quite and keep everything to himself they way he used to before but he won't. I have talked to him but he won't listen. He doesn't go about telling people that they should become atheist like him, but the way he goes about mocking religion and believers when ever the topic comes up is driving me mad. I really fear for our kids. What if something happens to me? I know my kids will become atheist like him, because he will poison their minds. What do I do now? I am really confused. I need advice from matured minds here. Please this should not be taken to the front page. I just want to read the contributions of the matured minds in here. Thank you

Your husband is a scientist (Doctor), what do you expect undecided

Science/Medicine and religion are like water and oil, the don't mix . . .

I'll advice you to face you own religion and leave your husband alone. . . undecided

12 Likes

Re: Married To An Atheist by UyiIredia(m): 4:17am On May 29, 2013
yolandy: @ ALL

Thank you so much for your inputs. It is not so easy because people here in Nigeria don't want to understand his position and lack of belief. What is funny is that some crazy people try to use his atheism to get at me, as a bad person that deserves to be married to a godless man. I am now trying to develop a thick skin for all that. We have had a very honest conversation last night and I pray that God will watch over us all and reveal himself to my husband. We have both made some concessions and I hope things will remain as they are for now.

And I hope your marriage remains strong.

1 Like

Re: Married To An Atheist by mazaje(m): 3:56pm On May 29, 2013
debrief08: People like wahala sha.
You have a good rational man you are concerned about gossip from people who likely wear asoebi to church come home and beat their wives thenn go out and cheat on them without a sigle thought of God.
We like Reigion yet so godless. If all these people who form holy holy in sundays are practical Christians our crime and curroption rates will be less than a quarter.
Leave your husband be, every Nigerian is entitled to freedom of worship or not, you married him as an Athiest, respect his believes.
Most Athiest I know are more rational and moral than most pretentious church goers.
How do people go and start screaming in hospitals distracting the doctor and disturbing other patients?
Must they shout before God hears their prayers? Can't we silently pray as Jesus commands? Didn't the Bible warn us about making prayer an item of public spectaacle?
I have gone to visit people in hospitals and you hear people screaming in the name of prayers from other rooms when nurses caution them they term her a witch and their prayers are disturbing her witchcraft.
Ever have I seen a more delusional bunch.
Am sorry to say

This had me laughing out loud. . .I have witnessed this but it was the doctor, they claimed their powerful prayers were making the doctor uncomfortable. . .One of the women could not even understand why the doctor was telling them to stop shouting. . .I told her that if prayers work why are they in the hospital in the frist place, shouldn't they be at home praying for their ill son and saving cost?. . .The woman still believes i am satan for telling her such. . .The look on her face when I told her that hmmmm. . . grin grin

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Married To An Atheist by Nobody: 10:16am On May 30, 2013
yolandy: @ ALL

Thank you so much for your inputs. It is not so easy because people here in Nigeria don't want to understand his position and lack of belief. What is funny is that some crazy people try to use his atheism to get at me, as a bad person that deserves to be married to a godless man. I am now trying to develop a thick skin for all that. We have had a very honest conversation last night and I pray that God will watch over us all and reveal himself to my husband. We have both made some concessions and I hope things will remain as they are for now.

Enjoy the man you married. Enjoy your life and leave people out of it. How is it that their opinion about who you are is now more important than your own opinion of who you are? what are they contributing to your life that is making them so important. If their attitudes and actions weigh you down and make you unhappy in your marriage it is better to cut them off. As for your husband, better you think like this you did not by your power become a christian. You cannot change him so just keep loving the man you married. Keep teaching your children sound christian values no one can take that from them not even your husband. The rest you hand over to God. Hope your marriage grows stronger.

4 Likes

Re: Married To An Atheist by Nobody: 9:15pm On May 30, 2013
What a sad thread. I feel for people in the op's position. It's a terrible one to be in. One should never have to choose between family and marriage, that's why believers are expressly told to marry within the Church. But, well, things like this happen.

All the Bible says is this: as long as he is pleased to stay with you, do not divorce him or get away from the marriage, but if he's displeased, you are free to leave. You can even remarry under those circumstances. The thing that hurts is the confusion the kids will be subjected to.

The Word says that under those circumstannces, the children are holy because of the believing spouse. The believing spouse should take advantage of that because it means that the children will.be more receptive to the Way of Christ than rebellion. So the believing spouse should pray for them and instill Christian discipline in them that will bring them back home to the Lord even should they ever wonder.
Re: Married To An Atheist by Nobody: 8:23am On May 31, 2013
modele2:

PS i also learnt something from you i.e. poster i had always tot that it takes only the fear of God to beget a good, faithful husband, now i know there could be other ideologies that work to the good of a marriage. Cheers
Ghen ghen. The seed has been sown. Think!

1 Like

Re: Married To An Atheist by Xkhalibur(m): 9:46am On Nov 20, 2014
Women have been complaining about their husbands for eons in the family section.
Wonder what they really want?

3 Likes

Re: Married To An Atheist by mutter(f): 10:36am On Nov 20, 2014
Dear Poster God has touched your husband long ago!
Who is God? God = Love, God = Light, God = truth.
A man who who believes in Love and truth, who is good and upright also believes in God.
That man believes in God more than someone who believes in God but follows the part of darkness and doom.God knows every one of us and will judge us accordingly.
Not by shouting Lord, Lord but by doing the will of the father.
I am a strong catholic and my husband is moslem. It hurts me going to church without him and my kids but this is a pain I bear silently. It is my cross. Occasionally, like christmas, they go with me.
I have learnt so much about Islam and for me it is a very noble religion because I see how my husband practices his faith. He never misses his prayers or fasting and he is like a saint compared to me.
We respect each others religion. Yet there are some things I find hard to accept in Islam and some things I find hard to accept in the catholic church.
Yet we believe because we have faith- This may be wise or stupid. No one has gone there and come back.

When someone has a heart attack, the right thing is to offer first aid and seek help. God is not going to come down just like that, he needs a point of contact. So while prayer is important you lot failed to do the right thing and that must have pissed him off because as doctor he knew too well that a life was in acute danger.

You need to put an immediate stop to interference in your marriage. Jealous outsiders who are looking for a loop hole to penetrate and you are giving it to them. Just wait till you have to attend the church as a divorcee or separated woman then you will see how much they care for you.
No christian has a right to interfere in another persons marriage.
My husband is a no go topic for outsiders. When I wanted to get married in the church our Nigerian priest wanted to talk to my husband about the kids and converting . I went home and wrote him an email that I have changed my mind and would be looking for another priest. I did not want my husband in any way affected negatively. The priest that did the marriage was very considerate. No communion so my husband wouldn`t be left out. He even spoke about God and Allah. My husband felt very good about the marriage, he felt it had been blessed because we respected his own religion.
Again i repeat.- YOUR HUSBAND is a NO GO TOPIC!. As soon as you make that clear, people will abide by it.

As for talking about you- People will always find something to say about you. That shows you are important wink

As for your children not growing up as christians because of their dad - well if the kids see that religion is bringing problems into the family then they might associate religion with something negative.

Besides your husband is not preventing you from raising them as christians, why do you want to prevent him from sharing his own views.

My last advice is that you pray-
Thank God for giving you such a good man.
Pray God to give you the wisdom and Love to stand by your husband against the enemy.
-Remember when the time of harvest comes. God will gather his own ,and it is not those who cry Lord, Lord but those who do his will.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Married To An Atheist by Nobody: 1:35pm On Nov 20, 2014
^^^Nice one Mutter!
Re: Married To An Atheist by bukatyne(f): 2:11pm On Nov 20, 2014
Religion is a very tricky thing

If it was cultural differences, let him be advices would be perfect

But religion? lipsrsealed A genuine Christian knows that Jesus is the ONLY way so I understand the OP's POV that she wants her hubby to change.

@OP:

All you need is prayers cheesy

You said he is a good husband and father, then appreciate that in him and forget what people say.

Truth is that some of them don't have it as good angry

1 Like

Re: Married To An Atheist by YINKS89(m): 11:07am On Aug 02, 2016
u no see d guy b4 u marry am? angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Married To An Atheist by nacozee: 11:09am On Aug 02, 2016
ronkebp:
I really don't know where the ''intelligence'' lies, when you cannot intelligently prove to me or others that there is no GOD. only when that has been proven, then i can hit my chest and say ''An Atheist is an intelligent man or woman''.
And u can prove there is God outside a written book? abeg

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Married To An Atheist by Coldfeet(f): 11:09am On Aug 02, 2016
2012 thread? Am out here mehn? angry

Op sef no dey nl again.

Atheist and atheism bunch of.....
Re: Married To An Atheist by MasterJayJay: 11:09am On Aug 02, 2016

Mods, sometimes eh.... Imagine 2012 topic. Are they still married till now? Oya mods answer. undecided

1 Like

Re: Married To An Atheist by Nobody: 11:11am On Aug 02, 2016
yolandy:
I have been around here for a while. I just created this new id to relate my problems here.

accept him the way he is..
There is nothing u can do about it.
Not everyone believe in God.

I hate wen people try to false their religion on others.

4 Likes

Re: Married To An Atheist by Nobody: 11:12am On Aug 02, 2016
MasterJayJay:

Mods, sometimes eh.... Imagine 2012 topic. Are they still married till now? Oya mods answer. undecided
well it does not matter...
Others can learn from this post smiley
Re: Married To An Atheist by Proffdada: 11:17am On Aug 02, 2016
All these atheists forming James Bond, only sleep paralysis will turn you into pastors undecided

1 Like

Re: Married To An Atheist by sbabimbola(f): 11:17am On Aug 02, 2016
RELIGION.....

To say the fact, the majority of great minds I have met in my life are people who are not inclined to my religious propensity.

I am not religious though.

8 Likes

Re: Married To An Atheist by MizTyna(f): 11:23am On Aug 02, 2016
plaetton:
Madam, this is exactly the problems we athiest have with religion.You have a loving husband whom you have loved and admired all this while and who has also loved you uncoditionally despite your religiousity.Now you are just beginning to feel uncomfortable about his athiesm. Why? Because of what others (religious folks ) are insinuating? Why is so hard to tolerate people who do not share your religious beliefs? Would you have prefered to be married to the so-called born again religous pretenders who outwardly profess regiousity but whose hearts are dark pits, than to a non-petensious reality-oriented man whose heart and mind is transparent to you at all times?

Have you reckoned that the problem might be with you and the increase in your religious zeal? Are you surprised that your pastor does not like him? How do u expect a pastor to like someone whom he cannot manipulate and sap? You are exhibiting the typical symptoms. Soon they will start seeing visions and prophesies about how your husband is evil and is going to do this or that to you and your children.
There is nothing in this world that divides people more than religion. Religion can destory your home if you allow it to do so.Your home should be your church. The love of your husband and children should be your sanctuary.
I guarantee that You cannot find in a church, what you cannot find in your home-namely love,sincerity,respect and peace.

I am an athiest who is married to a born again wife. I made my position know from the start and we have lived happily. I go to church with her from time to time. But I have grown waery of the "name it and claim it" theology of the pentecostal preachers,so I do not go anymore. I put my foot down on no night vigils, retreats,house fellowships, and midweek service. Otherwise, I try not to interfere. I find that is her church members who always want to make our religious difference an issue. I always put them in their right place.
As for my children, I have already succeeded in planting seeds of doubts in thier young minds, which for me ,is sufficient enough to help them develope the healthy skeptism necessary to intelligently discern life and reality, hopefully, from both a philosophycal and scientific perspectives rather than from religious perspective.

I do not see any problems in you family except the one that your religious peers are pressuring you to create.
Take note that the increase in your religious zeal is and will be directly proportional to the level of tension,resentment and ultimately, distrust in your household. I hope you make wise decisions.

You beat me to it. She's just dreaming up issues. He is a good man,caring,loving,great husband and father. Let her see what bible thumping guys are up to in my inbox. We need to apply sense here. The guy does not even stop her from going to church. Atheists are never the problem,it is the so called 'christians' who feel the need to defend their God and shove their beliefs down our throats!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Married To An Atheist by Nobody: 11:23am On Aug 02, 2016
yolandy:
I have been around here for a while. I just created this new id to relate my problems here.

Op please talk to your husband about what he tell your children that's all I can say. About his religion plsssss let him be. You can't forcefully impose your religion on him. He doesn't believe God is real and his not alone so allow him. I don't know why religion remains a serious issue this days.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Twins Born In Spain Joined Hands After Birth / "When You Flaunt Baby Bumps, You Attract Negative Human Spirits" - Reno Omokri / My Husband Subjects Me To Marathon Sex For Ritual, Woman Tells Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.