Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,539 members, 7,812,671 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:18 PM

Muhammadu Buhari To Run For Presidency In 2015 - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Muhammadu Buhari To Run For Presidency In 2015 (32347 Views)

N10million Bribery Scam: Presidency In Dilema Over CCT Chair / Presidency In Dilemma Over Four Gov's Secret Alliance With APC. / I’ll Contest For Presidency In 2015 - Atiku (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Muhammadu Buhari To Run For Presidency In 2015 by Nobody: 11:28pm On Apr 16, 2012
^
Only corrupt people are against Buhari

Re: Muhammadu Buhari To Run For Presidency In 2015 by Nobody: 11:29pm On Apr 16, 2012
[size=18pt]05 January 1984 - ITN News (video clip)
GEN. BUHARI PRESIDES AT SWEARING IN OF MILITARY GOVERNORS AND WARNS THEM OF PENALTIES FOR CRIME AND CORRUPTION. (video clip)[/size]

[flash=500,500]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_JjYG-ef8M?version=3[/flash]

http://www.itnsource.com/shotlist//ITN/1984/01/05/AS050184005/?s=nigeria&st=2&pn=96&sortBy=date

Nineteen military governors were formally appointed by the new Head of State, Major-General Mohammed Buhari, and other members of the country's Supreme Military Council (SMC) in Lagos on January 4 to run Nigeria's federal states.

General Buhari attended the official swearing-in ceremony, which came four days after he led a bloodless coup ousting former President Shehu Shagari.

Speaking at the ceremony, Buhari reminded his new governors of their duties.All were chosen, he said, for their ability to discharge their responsibilities in the best interests of the country.He went on to warn them that crime and corruption for personal gain, one reason for the coup, would be ruthlessly punished.

General Buhari added the corruption and hoarding in the private sector would not be tolerated.He ended his speech by telling the assembled governors they were answerable to the country's military chiefs of staff and subject to redeployment at any time.

All former state governors have been given a week to report to police.

General Buhari has pledged to revive the country's economy and also to end the armed robberies in major cities that have become commonplace in the last few years.The fate of former top officials in the Shagari administration is still to be decided by the new military government, and Shagari himself is being held in custody.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-693700.64.html
Re: Muhammadu Buhari To Run For Presidency In 2015 by Nobody: 11:30pm On Apr 16, 2012
^^^^ You are mad.

So how old is this Buhari?

Is Nigeria not for the Youth (thinking about the kind of youth Nigeria gets sef leaves one a big disappointment).

Nigeria is tired of expired old men. . . . my gosh. Even IBB sef go join am.
Re: Muhammadu Buhari To Run For Presidency In 2015 by Nobody: 11:50pm On Apr 16, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
^^^^ You are mad.

So how old is this Buhari?

Is Nigeria not for the Youth (thinking about the kind of youth Nigeria gets sef leaves one a big disappointment).

Nigeria is tired of expired old men. . . . my gosh. Even IBB sef go join am.

Youth like Gbenga Daniels? Ibori? GEJ? Dimeji Omo Ole? Who? The truth is if someone like Buhari does not come into power and ruthlessly go after those crooks bent on destroying Nigerian, 50 yrs from now you all will be going through this same silly cycle of crying out in pain everyday even though you live in the hospital.
Re: Muhammadu Buhari To Run For Presidency In 2015 by Nobody: 11:52pm On Apr 16, 2012
5th January 1984 - ITN News
[size=18pt]New military ruler General Buhari holds his first Press Conference and promises to stamp out corruption.[/size]

[flash=500,500]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKSqGuENI8A?version=3[/flash]

http://www.itnsource.com/shotlist//ITN/1984/01/05/AS050184015/?s=nigeria&st=2&pn=92

He says he has uncovered widespread corruption and will bring the guilty to trial, he will also negotiate an IMF loan
to ease the severe economic crisis. Deposed President Shagari and his aides will remain in detention,
Re: Muhammadu Buhari To Run For Presidency In 2015 by Nobody: 11:54pm On Apr 16, 2012
06 January 1984 - ITN News
[size=18pt]BUHARI OUTLINES NEW SOCIAL AND ECONOMIC POLICIES AND CRITICISES PREVIOUS GOVERNMENT.[/size]

Nigeria's new leader, General Mohammed Buhari, outlined his social and economic policies on January 5.Speaking at his first news conference five days after assuming power in a bloodless coup, the general said priority would be given to clearing the backlog of foreign debt while improving the lot of the ordinary people.

He confirmed that his government would pursue negotiations for a 2.5 billion US dollar loan from the IMF (International Monetary Fund), started by the ousted civilian government of President Shehu Shagari.He said the money was needed to bail Nigeria out of a severe economic crisis caused by a slump in the country's main export, oil. About 90 per cent of Nigeria's foreign earnings come from oil.

Earlier, General Buhari said economic mismanagement had prompted his takeover, and that Nigerians had to watch helplessly as President Shagari's government mishandled the economic crisis, causing high inflation.He said promised economic improvements were applied inadequately and imported food supplies to supplement domestic output were hoarded by corrupt officials or sold at very high prices.

General Buhari also condemned the previous system of import licenses, allotted, he said, by favour, and not to the manufacturers and genuine importers who needed them.He said the people had been misled by the government and criticised it for failing to deal firmly with rising crime.

General Buhari has also confirmed that Nigeria would remain a member of OPEC (Organisation of Petroleum Export Countries)

Re: Muhammadu Buhari To Run For Presidency In 2015 by Nobody: 9:56am On Apr 17, 2012
[size=18pt]8th January 1984 - The NY Times
Buhari steps up search for all Politicians and Officials who have failed to report to a Police Station.[/size]

LAGOS, Nigeria, Jan. 7— Nigeria's new military Government is stepping up searches for former politicians and officials of the civilian Government that was overthrown in a coup a week ago.

The new regime is making television appeals for news of the whereabouts of former officials and other Nigerians who are wanted for questioning and is urging citizens to telephone the police if they have information about those who are being sought.

Re: Muhammadu Buhari To Run For Presidency In 2015 by Nobody: 10:02am On Apr 17, 2012
[size=18pt]10th January 1984 - The NY Times
4,000 EX-GOVERMENT OFFICIALS SURRENDER TO BUHARI'S ANTI-CORRUPTION INVESTIGATION[/size]

Western diplomats reported today that as many as 4,000 officials of the ousted national and state governments had turned themselves in to the police as part of the new military Government's investigation of corruption. The diplomats said most of the former officials were released, some after their passports were confiscated. But about 400 were reportedly still held under what was described as ''military protection.''

At the same time, the Western diplomats and Nigerian sources said, many of the former officials who were on what the military Government of Maj. Gen. Mohammed Buhari called its ''most wanted list'' have managed to flee the country. Some who were abroad during the military takeover have decided to remain there.

Re: Muhammadu Buhari To Run For Presidency In 2015 by Jakumo(m): 11:52am On Apr 17, 2012
Mini Ayatollah is clinically insane, but he is fun to watch, so enjoy his compulsive cut-and-paste affliction for its sheer entertainment value, and just be glad he isn't running the streets with no clothes on.

Re: Muhammadu Buhari To Run For Presidency In 2015 by Nobody: 2:45pm On Apr 17, 2012
16 January 1984 - ITN News
[size=18pt]GENERAL BUHARI PRESIDES AT ARMED FORCES REMEMBRANCE DAY.[/size]

This year's celebrations were said to have been kept deliberately low-key by the new military administration in view of the nation's ailing economy

Re: Muhammadu Buhari To Run For Presidency In 2015 by lateef4me(m): 5:38pm On Apr 17, 2012
If truly Buhari wants to contest again,then we should start praying for the innocent blood which will be splitted by his brothers in the North and this only reaffirms that the guy have ab evil agenda he wants to execute once elected....
Re: Muhammadu Buhari To Run For Presidency In 2015 by Nobody: 5:46pm On Apr 17, 2012
17 January 1984 - ITN News
[size=18pt]GENERAL BUHARI ORDERS HOARDED GOODS TO BE SOLD AT LOW PRICES.[/size]

Warehouses in the Nigerian capital, Lagos, where soldiers found hoarded supplies of rice, sugar and car tyres, were thrown open on January 13, and good sold at low prices.
Large crowds gathered outside the stores several hours before the sale was due to start. Police with whips controlled the crowds, ensuring that buyers only obtained their assigned rations -- one sack of rice, 50 kilos of sugar, and two car tyres each.
The tyres, which fit Peugeot cars, had been selling at four times the price under the government of President Shehu Shagari, toppled in a military coup on New Year's eve.

The goods on sale at six locations in the Nigerian capital, were either very scarce, or subjected to sharp price increase before Major-General Mohammed Buhari took over in the bloodless coup.

The sale, the latest in a series of actions by military governors in Nigeria's 19 states, reflected the new regime's efforts to fight the profiteering and corruption associated with the previous government.

Meanwhile trading was said to have slumped on major markets in Lagos, as dealers awaited the announcement of new prices by the federal government. Wholesalers said they were not buying new goods for fear having to sell them at a loss.

Prices of locally-manufactured consumer goods soared last year following a prolonged shortage of raw materials caused by a sharp drop in foreign earnings from oil -- the country's main source of foreign exchange earnings. Armed soldiers raided markets soon after the coup, forcing traders to cut prices, but the new government said the raids were unauthorized and had been stopped.

Re: Muhammadu Buhari To Run For Presidency In 2015 by Nobody: 9:59am On Apr 19, 2012
[size=18pt]19th January 1984 - The New York Times
Buhari Cabinet installed - only 7 of the 18 Ministers are career military men[/size]

Nigeria's new leader, Maj. Gen. Mohammed Buhari, swore in the members of his Cabinet today, warning them that the ruling Supreme Military Council ''will keep a keen and watchful eye on your performance, your style of life and general public conduct while in office.''

He said the new administration, which came to power after the overthrow of the civilian Government of President Shehu Shagari on Dec. 31, ''will not tolerate fraud, indiscipline, corruption, squandermania, misuse and abuse of public office for self or group aggrandizement and other vices which characterize the civilian administration of the past four years.''

Of the 18 ministers named, only 7 are career military men. The proportion surprised some Western diplomats here but essentially accorded with statements by Mr. Buhari in an interview on Tuesday in which he said ''only a small number'' of military officers would be named to top political posts.

[size=28pt]The Buhari Cabinet [/size]

Head of State : Muhammadu Buhari 1984–1985

Chief of Staff :Tunde Idiagbon 1984–1985

Defense: Domkat Bali 1984–1985

Agriculture : Bukar Shuaib 1984–1985

Trade : Mahmud Tukur 1984–1985

Communications: A Abdullahi, Lt Col 1984–1985

Education: Yarima Ibrahim 1984–1985

Finance : Onaolapo Soleye 1984–1985

Abuja: Mamman Jiya Vatsa 1984–1985

Health: Emmanuel Nsan 1984–1985

Internal Affairs : Mohammed Magoro 1984–1985

Foreign Affairs : Ibrahim Gambari 1984–1985

Minister of Information : Sam Omeruah 1984–1985

Transportation: Abdullahi Ibrahim 1984–1985

Energy : Tam David-West 1984–1985

Justice: Chike Offodile 1984–1985

Works: Patrick Koshoni 1984–1985
Re: Muhammadu Buhari To Run For Presidency In 2015 by forkadict(m): 3:24pm On Apr 20, 2012
onyewec3:

Buhari can neva rid nigeria off corruption because he's not the police,lawyers,EFCC etc and also not a govnor or senator.so he can only checkmate himself because all dis listed above have own independent power!

You are so wrong. He very well can. First of, he will propose a bill to the NASS recommending very very stiff penalties for criminals who loot public funds. Not the child's play we currently experience. With support from the public and reputable NGOs, the bill will sail thru. Next he will also strengthen and sanitise the ICPC,EFCC, Police and the Judiciary. Once we ahieve this, our journey towards becoming a great nation will just begin. It's sheer fooooolishness to expect naija to be great despite how widespread and commonplace corruption is.
Re: Muhammadu Buhari To Run For Presidency In 2015 by forkadict(m): 4:04pm On Apr 20, 2012
kingoflag:

Dude, if the Devil contested against Buhari, IN NIGERIA, the devil will win.

There are sections in Nigeria that are so blinded by hate . . . . . I just don't understand it. Is it illiteracy? Is it ignorance? What is it that would make a people look at evil dead in the face, accept it, then convince themselves, while suffering, that they've made the right choice? GEJ will win again because of tribalism. Buhari will lose again because theres a section of Nigeria that is opposed to change. They claim to want it, but they're always on deck to do everything in their power to avert it each time it (change) rears its head. On their Coattails GEJ will ride to victory again.

Dude, i agree with you 100%.

Nigerians' sentiment, confusion and plain ignorance just leaves me helpless and frustrated. I guess you are resident in naija. I am also. but i feel the majority of anti buhari posters here are not resident in naija. They do not understand what the fork it means for my country to declare trillions of naira budget yearly and still you do not feel the impact of 100 naira out of the budget on you as a common man.

In my bid to understand why these guys hate buhari so much, i have come to the following conclusions:
1. Majority of Buhari's haters are either direct or indirect beneficiaries of corruption in naija. By direct beneficiaries, i guess, they are contractors who bid for and secure contracts strictly on the basis of kick backs and connection. Not because of their competence or reputation. And by indirect beneficiaries, i mean they are dependants of government officials whose livelihood or extravagance depends on how much their benefactors can steal. You really think the dependants of big guys in nnpc or pppra will want those institutions free of corruption? Hell no! Cos that happening will only spell doom for all of them cos everyone knows that their salaries can not sustain their extravagant lifestyles.

2. Plain ignorance, or folly or a combination of both.

3. Fear of the unknown when eventually Buhari gets elected. I suspect (Buhari) will prosecute all proven cases of stealing of public funds at any level and who knows, their relatives may become casualties in the ensuing tornado.

4. Fear of Buhari's religious tendencies. But only on this grounds do i reason with them and i partly blame the general for his careless comments bodering on religion in the past. It is his unguarded comments that kind of portrayed him as a religious fanatic in their light. They are really scared of what might happen in the event buhari gets elected as president. They feel he might impose sharia on all in naija,not minding one's faith, Naija may become a member of OIC etc etc. These clowns forget that Buhari can not single handedly amke all these happen. He needs the NASS and I'm not sure he will succeed there.

Matter of fact, the more i post my pro buhari opinions on NL and the more i see the reaction of his antagonists, i feel so frustrated and i might just resign in the belief that naija has been cursed right from the pit of hell and HAS NO HOPE OF BEING ABLE TO STAND TO HER FEET AND OCCUPY HER RIGHTFUL PLACE IN THE COMITY OF NATIONS. at least not until year 70000!

Re: Muhammadu Buhari To Run For Presidency In 2015 by forkadict(m): 4:14pm On Apr 20, 2012
Kabai: For the BLOOD of the innocent corps members, for the BLOOD of northern children, women and fathers, for the BLOOD of Christians that were linched in the north, for the BLOOD of innocent souls that have died due to Buhari's ethnic politics and religious fanatism, oh God, let Buhari not see any light in Nigerian politics even if he contests for a million times. AMEN!

But guy, you are sooo wise. FYI MR. wise, All those blood was shed and many more will still be shed if we have a confused, id.iotic cowardly and clueless thing as the COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF OF THE ARMED FORCES, FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA.

I doubt if you guys really understand in full, the meaning of the above title. You all just know and adress him as the president of naija. you think that is all there is to the office he occupies.
Re: Muhammadu Buhari To Run For Presidency In 2015 by forkadict(m): 4:21pm On Apr 20, 2012
GenBuhari: see how people fear an anti- corruption leader grin

Buhari is the last chance for all those thieving politicians to repent and return their loot, because if Buhari does not get to stamp out corruption a military dictatorship may end up executing all these thieves.

It seems to be inevitable.

How i would so love that. They steal our money with impunity and make us suffer. I know how much i used to spend on petrol monthly. I forking know how much i spend now. It's not that naija can not afford to continue with the subsidy but because of corruption. I have to pay for corruption in government. Let them come and make those thieving crooks (politicians and govt officials) refund our money or pay with their necks! AWON OLE BURUKU!
Re: Muhammadu Buhari To Run For Presidency In 2015 by Nobody: 11:03pm On Apr 20, 2012
@fork addict,

great points you make!

Buhari is not a muslim fanatic

Buhari has a christian wife

Buhari has a christian driver

Buhari has a christian cook

Buhari chose a christian vice president candidate for recent presidential elections.

The comments Buhari made regard Sharia was delibrately twisted, by a journalist thae was not even present and who did not understand hausa. He is on video wich could easily be found on youtube explaining tht he was responding to a question put to him about Sharia, and simply said that people of sokoto have the right to vote for the right candidate who holds their trust.

Buhari was absolute military ruler in 1983-85 and he never gave a singel advantage to muslims, in fact he crushed mulsim fanatical violence and suspended hajj prigrimages to save money.

Abeg, is the above an indication of muslim fanaticism.

Re: Muhammadu Buhari To Run For Presidency In 2015 by naijaking1: 11:10pm On Apr 20, 2012
Can someone please advice Buhari to vie for the emirship of Nigeria instead of the presidency?
Re: Muhammadu Buhari To Run For Presidency In 2015 by Nobody: 12:16pm On Apr 21, 2012
[size=18pt]21st January 1984 - The NY Times
Buhari's new Government Recovers stolen Millions From Ex-Ministers[/size]

. .LAGOS, Nigeria, Jan. 20— Nigeria's military Government has recovered millions of dollars in currency hoarded by former officials and is trying to retrieve millions more smuggled out of the country, a member of the new regime says.

Brig. Tunde Idiagbon told reporters Thursday that the stockpiles of money ranged from $56,000 found at the home of former Vice President Alex Ekwueme, to $4.5 million at the residence of the last civilian governor of Kono State, Alhaji Sabo Bakin Zuwo.

[size=18pt]28TH FEBRUARY 1984 - ITN NEWS
LEBANESE AND INDIAN COMMUNITIES IN NIGERIA UNDER ATTACK BY NEWSPAPERS.[/size]

The large Indian and Lebanese communities in Nigeria have been under attack by the leading Nigerian independent newspaper, accusing them of economic sabotage.The Guardian editorial followed another one last week in the National Concord.

The Indian and Lebanese communities have been accused of bribing bank officials to illegally move foreign currency out of Nigeria, and hoarding goods.The economic success of the Lebanese and Indian communities has been the subject of some jealousy.Between the two communities, they own numerous factories and small businesses.

The new military government which seized power on December 31, 1983 has promised to fight corruption and bring down food prices.
Indians and Lebanese are alleged to be some of the power behind corrupt middlemen. Long jail terms for economic sabotage are being mentioned in the national press.

Re: Muhammadu Buhari To Run For Presidency In 2015 by nuclearboy(m): 6:17pm On Apr 21, 2012
I believe the time has come when we ought keep silence and allow the increasingly inevitable happen!

The Arab Spring will be childs play when Nigeria wakes up and maybe that's what would satisfy those who make peaceful change impossible
Re: Muhammadu Buhari To Run For Presidency In 2015 by Kabai: 3:20pm On Apr 22, 2012
Who dares? Who can say that IF he or she is wrong in saying Buhari was directly responsible for the deaths of those children corpers, that he or she should suffer the wickedness of being lied against and reviled for unjust cause?

People just open mouths and spew tripe! Well, here's an opportunity - curse yourself IF you are lying against him, whether deliberately or not!

Directly or indirectly, I dare to say he has been responsible. He has been responsible even for the recent madness called BOKO HARAM. I believe his days are numbered...
Re: Muhammadu Buhari To Run For Presidency In 2015 by nuclearboy(m): 6:47pm On Apr 22, 2012
^^ mouth!

Place a curse na! Abi? If you are lying against him, whether deliberately or not and he was not responsible for that violence, may you learn firsthand what it is to be falsely accused and suffer for what you have NOT done!

Can we have an amen from you?
Re: Muhammadu Buhari To Run For Presidency In 2015 by Nobody: 9:25pm On Apr 22, 2012
[size=18pt]2nd March 1984 – ITN NEWS
GENERAL BUHARI VISITS YOLA AFTER QUENCHING RELIGIOUS RIOTING THAT LEFT DOZENS DEAD.[/size]
Nigeria's military ruler, Major-General Mohamed Buhari, visited the northeastern Nigerian city of Yola - in Gongola state - February 29 to assess the extent of damage caused by violent communal rioting two days earlier.

The known death toll from the religious disturbances is nearly 140, with at least another 60 persons injured, some critically. Gongola's acting state governor, Colonel Cyril Iweze, blamed the turmoil on fanatical followers of Moslem fundamentalist Muhammadu Marwa Maitatsine's religious sect. Marwa himself was killed in vicious rioting three years ago, when an estimated 4,000 people died.

In disturbances on February 27, the army was eventually called in to quell resistance from thousands of religious fanatics, at least 715 of whom were arrested by security forces.

General Buhari visited the Yola Specialist Hospital during his one-day tour of the gutted city, and also met with the Lamido of Adamawa, Alhaji Mustapha Aliyu, to discuss the situation.

Re: Muhammadu Buhari To Run For Presidency In 2015 by Yeske2(m): 10:15pm On Apr 22, 2012
Heaven knows I'd vote Buhari over, over and over again to this drunk fisherman with no shoes. Wish Nigerians would overlook partisan politics and do the right thing. GEJ is on but what have we gained?
Re: Muhammadu Buhari To Run For Presidency In 2015 by ifeci: 11:04pm On Apr 22, 2012
please can Buhari go and sleep! we are tired of Generals abeg! why is the guy so power drunk? Nigerians sef.
Re: Muhammadu Buhari To Run For Presidency In 2015 by Nobody: 1:49pm On Apr 23, 2012
[size=18pt]18 April 1984 – ITN News
OFFICIAL SUNDAY OPEN MARKET REPLACES ILLEGAL STREET TRADE.[/size]

A new official Sunday open market started trading in Lagos on April 15, on the site of the Marina car park, to replace illegal street vending.The inaugural speech was made by the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftancy Affairs, Alhaji Lateef Olayinka; the ceremonial ribbon was cut by Lagos State Military Governor, Gbolahan Mudashiru.

Last month a member of the Supreme Military Council, Brigadier Tunde Idiagbon, announced a clampdown on corruption, indiscipline and mismanagement in the country's economy. This included the removal of illegal street trading in Lagos.

Police, operating under a decree from the military government of Major-General Mohammed Buhari, arrested street vendors and confiscated their goods. Commissioner Olayinka said illegal trading created traffic and environmental problems. He said an official inquiry had recommended a new open market was the best solution.

Re: Muhammadu Buhari To Run For Presidency In 2015 by Kabai: 7:32pm On Apr 27, 2012
Kabai: For the BLOOD of the innocent corps members, for the BLOOD of northern children, women and fathers, for the BLOOD of Christians that were linched in the north, for the BLOOD of innocent souls that have died due to Buhari's ethnic politics and religious fanatism, oh God, let Buhari not see any light in Nigerian politics even if he contests for a million times. AMEN!

But guy, you are sooo wise. FYI MR. wise, All those blood was shed and many more will still be shed if we have a confused, id.iotic cowardly and clueless thing as the COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF OF THE ARMED FORCES, FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA.

I doubt if you guys really understand in full, the meaning of the above title. You all just know and adress him as the president of naija. you think that is all there is to the office he occupies.

Nope, my guy. Na you wise. Can u listen to urself again? you call the president 'idiotic, cowardly and clueless'. Then I am waiting to see you come on to lead. What position of leadership have you held before? I bet you, people will spit on you, cos for all I know in as much as you don't respect, then there will be no respect for you.
Re: Muhammadu Buhari To Run For Presidency In 2015 by Nobody: 11:22pm On Apr 27, 2012
[size=18pt]Buharinomics - General Buhari’s economic program marshaled out to salvage the nation in 1984 [/size]

http://www.elombah.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5720:is-general-buhari-the-problem-with-nigeria&catid=36:pointblank&Itemid=83

Buharinomics was General Buhari’s economic program marshaled out to salvage the nation in 1984. He summarized the objective of his economic policy (as articulated in the 1984 budget) as follows: "To arrest the decline in the economy, to put the economy on a proper course of recovery and solvency, and to chart a future course for economic stability and prosperity" (West Africa, May 14, 1984). He had previously done similarly, in March while receiving the visiting Sudanese President, Gaafar Nimeiri. Upon his inquiring of what the new military government had in mind for the nation it then ruled, Buhari said to him: "The priority [of his administration] is for economic recovery, providing employment opportunities, improving people's living conditions, consolidating internal security and ensuring foreign respect" (Africa Now, March 1984). In a nutshell, Buharinomics set out to arrest the decline in the economy and refocus it towards recovery.

Buharinomics was to wean the nation off consumerism and profligacy, while channeling it towards frugality and productivity. To accomplish this, the government was to cut down on its expenditure, engage in more efficient restricting and controlling of foreign exchange outflow, undertake the revival of the country's productive capacity (concentration was on agriculture), and broaden government's revenue base.

The first test of Buharinomics was implemented to revive the comatose banking industry and arrest local currency hoarding. In April 1984, the government ordered a change in the color of the Naira. This action was dubbed the “real coup” by unscrupulous business men and politicians who had almost eliminated the need for commercial banking in Nigeria by keeping their moneys under their mattresses or by trafficking them into neighboring West African countries.

This currency change, which forced all holders of the naira notes into exchanging them for the new naira notes at commercial banks, infused billions that had remained unaccounted for into the banking industry and eliminated counterfeited currencies, which had inflicted inflationary and other nefarious effects on the economy. This measure had an immediate revitalizing effect in the banking industry and was an unqualified success. Banks that were close to collapsing became vibrant again, to the extent that some of them began to hire hitherto unemployed Nigerians.

Re: Muhammadu Buhari To Run For Presidency In 2015 by Alukofemie: 3:06pm On Apr 28, 2012
I strongly believe dt these set of old leaders are d nigeria biggest problem. What did they accomplish when they av d first opportunity? Some of them are claiming saint, when they av not account 4 d lives destroy during their stay in power. They keep telling us while we are very young dt we are d leader of 2morow. When will their saying come 2rue while they are nt ready 2 give us chance 2 lead? They wish dt we remain their supporter while they live and die in power. Until the youth could muster d courage and declare 2 these old leaders dt they av fail them, their chance 2 effect the dream change for their beloved country wil neva come.
Re: Muhammadu Buhari To Run For Presidency In 2015 by Nobody: 3:06am On Apr 29, 2012
[size=18pt]Buharinomics - General Buhari’s economic program marshaled out to salvage the nation in 1984
( - - - - Continued part 2)[/size]

http://www.elombah.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5720:is-general-buhari-the-problem-with-nigeria&catid=36:pointblank&Itemid=83

To cut down on government expenses, the federal work force was cut by 30% and imports for 1984 pegged at 4 billion pounds (mostly on basic foodstuffs, spare parts, and raw materials for local industries), against 14 billion pounds spent in 1983. To ensure that Nigeria remained respectable on the international business world, Buhari committed to honoring Nigeria’s debt payment schedule irrespective of the limited earning potential of Nigeria. In August 1984, Buhari was on one of his meet-the-people nationwide tours, which he began as soon as the administration got on its feet. Everywhere he went, the people embraced him, coming out en mass and ushering him tumultuous cheers and unreserved applause.

Re: Muhammadu Buhari To Run For Presidency In 2015 by Nobody: 3:38am On Apr 29, 2012
Sorry! Your portrayal of this man in dictatorial life makes me hate him. It's appalling showing us a man in uniform as candidate for democratic president.Haven't we had enough of uniform men?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Rerun Elections: Vote Your Conscience, Wike’s Wife Tells Rivers People / Mohammed Santuraki: Atiku Is A Formidable Opponent, Whether We Admit It Or Not / ICPC Seizes Akpabio’s International Passport - The News Feed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.