Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,684 members, 7,816,792 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:16 PM

Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence (56460 Views)

#FuelScarcity; Senators Visit Capital Oil And Other Petroleum Depots..photos / Pictures Of Lagos Before Independence / NNPC Has No Record Of Nigeria's Actual Crude Oil Production Per Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by ezotik: 2:33am On May 05, 2012
chucky234:
I actually didnt want to comment on this,you are brainwashed. My Lagos were better off without those Universities,what were your Asaba,Enugu,Abuja or Benin compare to Lagos? Those were not even close to Marokor,today Lagos sucks with dirts and toxic air.

and i was actually not going to comment until u mentioned my benin. benin where the omo n'oba resides is a sacred land that should not be included in silly conversations. the average ovbiedo does not care about lagos. we conquered the land years ago and have left the ruins for the igbos to conquer. ivbiedo are looking for new lands to conquer and eko is past tense. so face the recent occupiers and leave my benin out of it. do.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by OdenigboAroli(m): 2:50am On May 05, 2012
ezotik:

and i was actually not going to comment until u mentioned my benin. benin where the omo n'oba resides is a sacred land that should not be included in silly conversations. the average ovbiedo does not care about lagos. we conquered the land years ago and have left the ruins for the igbos to conquer. ivbiedo are looking for new lands to conquer and eko is past tense. so face the recent occupiers and leave my benin out of it. do.

Look,let it be made clear that we Igbos has no intetion of conquering any city let alone lagos ! We Igbos has always been peaceful people and doesnt go for what is not ours! We work hard to achieve success and thats our weapon,so,the bini can go back to eko and continue where they stopped! I hope I have made myself clear enough.

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by naptu2: 2:57am On May 05, 2012
Someone once said that Nigerians can start an argument in an empty room.

I don't know why it's difficult for people to understand that Lagos was not built by a single group or a single source of funds. Somethings were built by the Agudas, eg Holy Cross Cathedral and St Gregory's College, some by the indigenous Lagosians, eg Shitta Bey Mosque, some by the Colonial Government using taxes receipts from indigenous Lagosians, eg Iju waterworks, some by the Federal Government using funds from crude oil, eg 3rd Mainland Bridge, some by Nigerian business men, eg SilverBird Galleria and so on and so forth. What's so difficult to understand about that?

naptu2: Lagos was built by many groups of people, with funding from a variety of sources. They include the indigenous Lagosians, the Saros (returnees from Sierra Leone), the Brazilians (Popo Aguda, etc), the Colonial Government, The Lagos City Council, The Federal Government, the Lagos State Government and Nigerian businessmen.

Lagos will always flourish.

naptu2: I was discussing the question of which I prefer, Lagos of the 1890s - 1960 or Lagos of today, with some people on NN 60-80. They believed that Nigeria (& Lagos) is regressing (I remember listening to Wole Soyinka say the same thing on the BBC in the 1990s) I believe it's all relative. Some things are better and some things are worse.

Pre-1970 we didn't have the explosion of armed robbery that Lagos has witnessed in recent decades, where whole neighbourhoods are terrorised by bandits. Electricity was relatively stable, etc.

However, development was limited to the colony pr-1970. As recently as the 1980s there were "night soil men" who went from house to house collecting night soil.

Personally, I think the 1990s were a lost decade. But I've read about the uniquely Victorian Lagos of the late 1800s, been told about Lagos of the 20s-60s and witnessed the 70s to the present. Each era had its unique flavour.

However, that doesn't seem to be the subject of this thread. The op & title didn't say Lagos was better then. He is only showing how Lagos was.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by naptu2: 2:59am On May 05, 2012
Next I'm going to write about "Victorian Lagos" of the late 1800s
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by ezotik: 3:11am On May 05, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

Look,let it be made clear that we Igbos has no intetion of conquering any city let alone lagos ! We Igbos has always been peaceful people and doesnt go for what is not ours! We work hard to achieve success and thats our weapon,so,the bini can go back to eko and continue where they stopped! I hope I have made myself clear enough.

but na mostly igbo mouth i dey hear am say lagos is "no mans land" and they are even beginning to say the same about kano.grin but im yet to hear any one say that about any igbo city. i have been to aba, and it is very vibrant city with most if not all ethnic groups in nigeria but im yet to hear any one classify aba as "no mans land"

and why is that it is mostly igbos that flood almost all the lagos threads with comments about how dominant they are in lagos?

and oh btw, hope u wont mind this my silly question. why did this girl leave nnewi to go take picture in lagos with her aba-made lewis votton bag? coz we all know this one na igbo girl grin grin

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by CyberG: 4:00am On May 05, 2012
Redacted.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by CyberG: 4:02am On May 05, 2012
Redacted.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by naptu2: 4:27am On May 05, 2012
LAGOS IN THE 1800s

During the 1850s there was a large influx into Lagos of educated Africans, who had earlier been sold as slaves, from Sierra Leone, Brazil and Cuba. Their return profoundly affected the history of Lagos. The Sierra Leonians were known as Akus or Saros, the Brazilians and Cubans as Agudas. The Agudas were mainly Catholics, skilled artisans and craftmen who had purchased their freedom and returned home to their “country” of origin. The Akus or Saros were slaves (or descendants of slaves) rescued by the British naval squadron that patrolled the high seas on the look-out for slavers. The Saro émigrés were mainly missionaries (Protestants), teachers, clerks, or traders. All of the returned émigrés had their homes in one of the hinterland kingdoms – Ijebu, Egba, Ekiti, Oyo-Ibadan, Nupe. Most were probably shipped from Lagos, but none seemed to have been Lagosians.

The composition of populations in Lagos in the 1880s was as follows: Brazilians 3,220, Sierra Leonians 1,533 and Europeans 111, out of a population of 37,458. of all the population 30 ½ per cent (11,049) were engaged in commerce as merchants, traders, agents, clerks and shopmen, 5,173 were tradesmen, mechanics, manufacturers and artisans; 1,414 were farmers and agricultural labourers. In 1871 only 9 2/3 per cent of the population were in commerce, 5 per cent in agriculture. In 1881 the percentage of agricultural workers dropped to 3 ¾ while that of commercial workers jumped to 30 ½. Lagos was therefore predominantly a commercial city. Most of the population was animist in 1868, 14,797 as opposed to 8,422 Muslims and 3,970 Christians.

In the 1880s there were four distinct groups in Lagos – the Europeans, the educated Africans (Saros), the Brazilians and the indigenes. The town was physically divided into four quarters corresponding to these groups. The Europeans lived on the Marina, the Saros mainly west of the Europeans in an area called Olowogbowo, the Brazilians behind the Europeans – their quarter was known as Portuguese Town or Popo Aguda or Popo Maro – and the indigenes on the rest of the island – behind all three.

The Saros were culturally closer to the Europeans than to either of the other two groups. The top social class of Lagos of the 1880s was dominated by the Europeans – merchants, missionaries, civil servants. The Saros tried to gain admission into this class. The criteria for membership were education and wealth. In this sense, the educated elite, both black and white, could be considered as members of the same social group. They lived like Victorian gentlemen, entertainment consisting of numerous ‘conversaziones’, ‘soirees’, ‘levees’, ‘at homes’, ‘tea fights’ and concerts of the works of Bach, Beethoven, Handel and so on. The press had music critics; one irate critic lamented that concerts had fallen to the level of music-hall entertainment. Christmas was a season of Victorian festivities. As one newspaper editor enthused “Balls are announced and concerts and athletic sports, dinners, with the accessories of plump turkeys, minced pies, plum puddings and Christmas trees. Fineries of all sorts and conditions. All the elite seemed to lack was snow. Their dressing and eating habits were predictably Victorian. Most of them were profuse in their loyalty to the queen. In 1881 the Lagos Times prayed for the success of British arms in Ashanti. It declared: “we are so jealous of the Power of British arms that we would not have it suffer the slightest reverse.” The Imperial Federation League found enthusiastic support in Lagos. Several prominent Saros, J.A.O Payne, J.J Thomas and S.J. George came to Britain for Queen Victoria’s diamond jubilee in 1887 at their own expense.

Life styles among the indigenes continued as before. They ate the normal Yoruba dishes of maize, cassava, yams and Yoruba sauces. They dressed in the same large flowing cloak, called Agbada, and baggy trousers. The Saro educated elite wore the lates London fashions – stiff collars and heavy woolen suits. The traditional elite continued to dress as they had always done but had developed new drinking habits. An observer described Dosunmu as “a good tempered, easy going man, much given to pomp …(he) possessed a hundred wives and innumerable suits of apparel. Visitors are always regaled with Champagne whenever they go to see him and I have heard he kept a most luxurious table.” Whitford wrote that when he met Dosunmu, the Oba was “attired in a clean loose white rob; red silk velvet slippers encase his large feet and gold, silver and brass rings profusely adorn his thumbs, fingers and wrists.”

The press exhibited a deep preoccupation with what it regarded as the essentials of society. The editor of the Eagle and Lagos Critic, Mr E.O Macaulay, writing in 1883, described the society of a place as that class of its community which comprised its ruling body, which absorbed by its influence all other ‘societies’ (he found four in Lagos – the Muslims, the Brazilians, the indigenous and the English, which of course, included the Saros) into its unit and imposed its rules of conduct on the other ‘societies’. To despise the society of the ruling class, Macaulay said, was to commit social suicide. He held that Sir John Glover, governor of the colony, 1866 – 72, understood this and therefore had given Lagos ‘society’ some directions. Glover collected at Government House the most prominent, intelligent and promising of the inhabitants of Lagos whom he created into a society, i.e. “a union in one general interest, social sympathy, companionship”. This society had “name and influence above any other, men and women aspired to become members of it and its doors were open to all who proved themselves (worthy)”. After Glover’s departure, this society was left by successive governors to go ‘moribund’. In 1883, Macaulay continued, it “was almost at death’s doors. With the cord of society thus broken, the various groups considered themselves to be of common social level; a new social egalitarianism developed, each group evolving its own code of rules. The divisions increased fear and suspicion and forced each group to seek strength in unity: it was this that brought tribal sentiments and the formation of tribal associations. Suspicions increased; jealousy, ill-will and rancour followed, judgment perverted and man ceased to be estimated by his intrinsic worth”. Every entertainment that was directed from Government House was seen as “an amelioration of the sad condition of society” in the 1880s. in 1884 the press called for the governor to resume his position as “Social Head” of Lagos.

The governors themselves testified to the high level of civilised society in Lagos. Governor Young in 1885 said Lagos was his first contact with civilisation since he left England. The administrators of Lagos found it impossible to keep up the high level of social entertainment Lagos demanded. And requests for increase in table allowances and salaries were frequent. Griffith described Lagos as “the Queen of West African settlements”. He went on: “ no single settlement on the West coast can compare with Lagos in public expenditure, in imports, and exports, in population or in activity, enterprise, and wealth of her mercantile community…Her merchants are unbounded in their hospitality. They entertain liberally and place the choicest and most expensive services on their tables. Even the natives will offer champagne to visitors…they keep open house and everywhere a cordial welcome awaits a stranger.” Griffith asked for horses and a carriage because both the white and black merchants had them. The Colonial Office, in one of those priceless minutes, thought mules and a carriage would suit the deputy governor best.

"Modern and Traditional Elites in the Politics of Lagos" by Patrick Dele Cole, King's College Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1975 at p 45 - 47.

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by PhysicsQED(m): 4:43am On May 05, 2012
[edited]
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Nobody: 4:44am On May 05, 2012
Please cyberG [/b]and [b]physicsQED call a truce. PlysicsQED is not Igbo,and he has never claimed Lagos - the only place he cares about is his Bini. grin
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by CyberG: 4:50am On May 05, 2012
^ Okay, for the sake of your post, I will let it slide 'cos I was really incensed. I will redact my posts as a sign of a good gesture
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by PhysicsQED(m): 4:51am On May 05, 2012
^^^

@ shymmex

I don't plan on posting on this thread again after this, so the argument is basically over.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by naptu2: 5:58am On May 05, 2012
Ereko Market decorated for the visit of Queen Elizabeth II in 1956

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by naptu2: 6:00am On May 05, 2012
Eyo Festival 1910

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by naptu2: 6:06am On May 05, 2012
Shitta Bey Mosque

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by naptu2: 6:20am On May 05, 2012
On The History of Nigeria Railways - The Lagos Steam Tramway 1902 - 1913

In 1895 the Lagos Government Railway began to force its way from Iddo, on the mainland, to Ibadan, and was opened six years later on March 4, 1901. Carter Bridge was completed the same year, construction having commenced in 1896, to connect Lagos with the mainland. Because of the mistake of terminating the railway at Iddo, Lagos, the administrative capital and port of the Colony of Nigeria, was without any public (or indeed, at that time, wheeled) transport to connect it with the railhead.

That this had been in the minds of the Administration is evidenced by mention of a tramway in the Colonial Report for 1899. By 1901 it had been decided to build a 2ft. 6in.-gauge line over Carter Bridge and construction commenced. The opening of the Lagos Steam Tramway took place on May 23, 1902.

The original line ran north-west along the waterfront, from a point near Government House and the European residential area around the Race course, to Customs Wharf, where it turned north-east towards Ereko Market and Idumata. A 95ft,-radius curve took the line north-westwards again, through Ebute Ero and over Carter bridge to the railway station at Iddo.

There was a run-in outside the station building, a short siding to the parcels office, sidings to the goods transit shed, five roads into the engine and car sheds and a run-round which encircled these sheds. The track was single, with seven passing loops en route. At the Post Office there was a double junction incorporated with the passing loop, connection to the Public Works Department stores, and a straight run-through from the PWD wharf to the generating station for direct coal transfer. At Kokomaiko, the terminus, there was a run-round siding, a 20ft.-diameter turntable, and a water tank.

The sleeping track was of 2ft. 6in. gauge with a route mileage of 2 miles 58 chains, partly laid on (not in) the streets and partly on roadside reservations. The running time was 21 minutes, giving an average speed of 7 ¾ mph. Fares were 3d. “all the way”, PWD to Iddo 2d., and Ereko Market to Iddo, 1d. The headway was 45 min., later improved to 30 min., with the first tram at 6.30 hr. to connect with the 7.00 hr. mainline train from Iddo to Ibadan. There was no running after dark (this timed the last tram at about 19.00 hr.) Freight services were operated 0 it was, in fact, the only link at this time between Customs Wharf for moving imports up-country and for evacuating produce from railhead to lighter. The tramway was operated by the Lagos Government Railway.

Rolling stock consisted of ten passenger trailers with longitudinal back-to-back seats, built by the Ashbury Railway Carriage & Wagon Company, of Manchester. They were 19ft. long by 7ft. 2in. wide, double ended and fitted with tramcar-type hand brakes. The bodies were constructed from tubes, with open sides and canvas screens for wet weather. The cars were four-wheeled, the axle-boxes being provided with coil springs. There were about 20 un-braked goods wagon, each 12 ft. long and 5ft. 6in. wide, all made by the same company.

Motive power was originally provided by three locomotives of a type unique among street tramway engines. They were designed by the Crown Agents for the Colonies and manufactured by the Hunslet Engine Co. Ltd., of Leeds, bearing maker’s Nos. 751-3, and LGR Nos. 101-3. Delivery was made in September 1901.

(Map) - Route of the Lagos Tramway

A curious design

I will skip this for the sake of brevity and for its technicalities.

Box-car mystery

When writing the book “Lagos Steam Tramway”, extensive inquiries were made as to why these locomotives were designed in the form of an articulated combination vehicle. No solution could be obtained from the Crown Agents, the makers, the Nigerian Railway, or from aged Africans (Nigerians). Flexibility is one factor (the sharpest curve was 80ft. radius) but a conventional four-wheeled tram engine would have satisfied this requirement. A more important aspect was the 5-ton weight limit imposed over the Carter Bridge. The additional bogie enabled the locomotive to comply with this but it does not explain the box-car at the rear.

One purpose of this, we are led to believe, was the conveyance of His Excellency the Governor and other senior Europeans. There is no evidence that the box-car was used in general service and, while passenger cars were used by the African population, it would not have been deemed suitable at the time for senior Europeans to travel with the general public! Fixed to the rear bulkhead was shelving, which suggests that another use was the carrying of coinage and valuables between the Treasury, Iddo Station and the wharf, in conditions of security. More certain is the transfer of mail and parcels from Customs Wharf and the GPO to Iddo. This is borne out by the short siding which was provided near the parcels office – just long about enough to accommodate the Hunslet articulated engine.

The design must have served its purpose because a repeat order for a further two such engines was placed and they were delivered in Lagos in 1910, becoming LGR Nos. 104 and 105, works numbers 1016 and 1017. Identical in design, except for improvements to the motion and two 45-gal. tanks instead of 30 gal. ones, they cost £718 each f.o.b. Liverpool! It should be noted that it was not practicable to run these locomotives in reverse service, and this accounts for the turning circle at Iddo, the turntable at Kokomaiko, and the double junctions at the Public Works Department and the Post Office, where turning could be effected.

In spite of the success of the improved services and after much track laying and a deficit of only £248 in 1913, the Government took a very short-sighted view and decided to close down the passenger service, principally because the original rolling stock needed renewal. Closure was effected on January 1, 1914.

The Lagos Sanitary Tramway, built in 1906 (see The Railway Magazine, July 1964, page 581), which ran from Dejection Jetty to a junction with the Lagos Steam Tramway at Ereko Market, continued to operate over its mid-town route, via Strachan Street, Glover Street and Faji Market, until 1933. With its closure, the island of Lagos lost its only remaining railway.

(Culled from The Railway Magazine, February 1966)

Interesting, isn’t it, that Lagos, and indeed Nigeria, actually had a tramway system as far back as the earlier part of the last century?

It is also interesting to know that apart from the Lagos Steam Tramway, 23 May 1902 - 31 Dec 1913,  the British also built the following:

Bauchi Light Railway, Zaria-Jos-Bukuru (229km), opened in sections 1912-1914, Jos-Bukuru (16km) widened to 1.067m in 1927, rest closed 30 Sep 1957. Several locos and coaches are preserved near the zoo at Jos.

Wushishi Tramway, Zungeru-Wushishi-Bari Juko (35km), opened in sections Dec 1901-1902, closed 1910

Lagos Sanitary Tramway 1906-30 June 1933. Extended to a wharf and was used to carry "nightsoil".

(Source: Durrant, A.E., A.A. Jorgensen, C.P. Lewis.” Steam in Africa”, London, 1981, Hamlyn)

Gone are those days. What was left for us by the British as a legacy of colonialism, we found it difficult to build on, not to talk of sustaining and improving it, contrary to such in other parts of the world. That is the way Nigeria has gone, to the dogs, ruled and managed by inept, corrupt, incompetent, selfish, indolent and clueless idiots since the British left.

I do hope you have found this historical journey interesting, intriguing, fascinating and reflective. I have. And there’s more on the Lagos Sanitary Tramway and others to come.

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/akintokunbo-a-adejumo/on-the-history-of-nigeria-railways-the-lagos-steam-tramway-1902-1913.html

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by naptu2: 6:36am On May 05, 2012
O.p, do you mind if I post pictures and biographies of notable Lagosians of 1800-1960? People like Sir Kitoye Ajasa, Sir Adeyemo Alakija, Dr Henry Carr, Herbert Macaulay, etc.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by ektbear: 7:26am On May 05, 2012
Was such a beautiful city.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Cyndybaby: 7:54am On May 05, 2012
tongue
oba009: Wait for them to reply you oya ara oyi osi
Yoruba A̶̲̥̅̊₪d̶̲̥̅̊ Igbo ppl which one Dirty pass.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by SIFA(m): 8:29am On May 05, 2012
Hi folks,
I learnt that Lagos had eletricity before Paris. Can someone comfirm this.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by naptu2: 9:18am On May 05, 2012
SIFA: Hi folks,
I learnt that Lagos had eletricity before Paris. Can someone comfirm this.

Lagos was one of the first cities in the world to have electricity and streetlights (they had gas lamps before the advent of electricity). I was just about to write about this, but I have a lot of typing and copying from books to do.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by SIFA(m): 9:28am On May 05, 2012
naptu2:

Lagos was one of the first cities in the world to have electricity and streetlights (they had gas lamps before the advent of electricity). I was just about to write about this, but I have a lot of typing and copying from books to do.

Thanks bro. Pls do you have an source for this.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by naptu2: 9:38am On May 05, 2012
I can't find the map cry

In summary: The City of Lagos grew from Lagos Island. The Marina was the "posh" part of the city. The British lived on the Marina and it was also the center of government.

If you walk down Marina today you can still see the old secretariat, Cathedral Church of Christ, State House Marina, Lagos House Marina, etc.

The Saros lived around the Olowogbowo/Apongbon area.

The Brazilians lived behind them (around the Campos area) and the other indigenes lived on the rest of the island.

The British approached the Oba to ask if a piece of land can be granted to them to build a residential area. The Oba consulted with the Idejo and Chief Onikoyi granted them part of Ikoyi (which was largely swampland at the time).

Governor William MacGregor was a medical doctor and so much of his work in Lagos centred around healthcare (waste disposal, health science in schools, improved hospitals, nightsoil clearance, drainage, malaria prevention, etc). He dug the MacGregor canal (I have got to find the now and then pics) which separated Lagos Island from Ikoyi Island. The canal helped in draining the swamps around Lafiaji (Much of the MacGregor Canal was filled in by the Gowon Administration when the Ring Road/3rd Mainland Bridge was being built. I know people who still hate Gowon for this act. What's left of the canal is the humongous gutter/canal that runs from Lagos Lagoon, beside Dolphin Estate, through Obalende, under Awolowo Rd and empties into Five Cowry Creek).

The Carter Bridge improved transportation between Lagos and the suburbs of Yaba, Surulere, Apapa, etc. With time the city expanded to include these areas. By 1967 the boundary between the Federal Capital Territory (Lagos) and the Western Region was at Jibowu.

Lagos State was created in 1967, but the state government continued to operate from Lagos Island until the 1970s when it finally relocated to Ikeja, the new state capital. Lagos Island continued to be the capital of Nigeria until 1991.

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by aljharem(m): 9:54am On May 05, 2012
It is good that the truth is gradually coming out. Before we say A and B some iddeeiots would say Crude oil developed this, we developed that. LOL
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by naptu2: 10:01am On May 05, 2012
I think it was in Takiu Folami's book. I can't find my copy at the moment, but I got this for you online.

The growth of the city of Lagos was largely unplanned, impeded by the complex of swamps, canals and sand spits.[36]William MacGregor, governor from 1898 to 1903, instituted a campaign against the prevalent malaria, draining the swamps and destroying as far as possible the mosquitoes that were responsible for the spread of the disease.[37] Telephone links with Britain were established by 1886, and electric street lighting in 1898.[29] In August 1896, Charles Joseph George and G.W. Neville, both merchants and both unofficial members of the Legislative Council, presented a petition urging construction of the railway terminus on Lagos Island rather than at Iddo, and also asking for the railway to be extended to Abeokuta. George was the leader of the delegation making this request, and described its many commercial advantages.[38] On 21 February 1899 the Alake of the Egba signed an agreement opening the way for construction of a railway through their territory. [3

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagos_Colony
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by sharkur1(m): 10:09am On May 05, 2012
Thanks so much fÖ̤̣̇я the pic memories.Its so great to see what our Beloved Lagos looked like in the days of our fathers and fore-fathers
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by DaLover(m): 10:54am On May 05, 2012
Katsumoto:

You are trying to make sense but your post still reeks of ignorance and bad belle.

1. Lagos Island was the Capital of Nigeria. The Metropolitan areas of Lagos such as Ilupeju, Shomolu, Ikorodu, Agege, Epe, Surulere, Badagry, etc were all parts of the Western Region. The Western Region was administered from Ibadan with proceeds of Cocoa. Before Cocoa proceeds went into Lagos, it was partially built with the sweat of Lagos indigenes, Agudas, Saros, Egba, and Ijebu merchants.

2. Lagos became a state by virtue of degree 14 of 1967. At that point, Lagos, like all other Nigerian states started receiving proceeds of oil. This comments about Oil developing Lagos, did oil money not build roads, parastatals, hospitals, schools in other parts of Nigeria? Why the emphasis on Lagos. Can any of you point to the developments in Ikoyi, Lekki, Victoria island, ilupeju, Ikeja, Badagry, etc? The most developed and exclusive parts of Lagos are Ikoyi, Ikeja, and Victoria Island

3. Natural resources still require human resources for them to be tapped.

4. Yes, you can live in Warri and still have your eyes on Lagos because Lagos is a more developed city that Warri.

5. The convivial and safe atmosphere in Lagos is down to the hospitability of the indigenes of Lagos; don't ever forget that. If they didn't provide an environment where all can go to, then Lagos will not be the city it is. London, New york are cosmopolitan cities with huge numbers of migrants but it was something that attracted those immigrants to those places.

6. Some of you sometimes forget that population explosions can sometimes be harmful to an environment. For instance, many are talking about the funds Lagos received from the government but how many of you have attempted to calculate the negative costs to Lagos? What is the cost of polution, disease, armed robbery, bad roads, over-utlilised public facilities such as schools, hospitals, etc, blocked drainage, etc? Until an attempt can at least be made at calculating these negative externalities, no one can tell whether Lagos benefitted or lost more from it being the capital of Nigeria for a mere 2 decades.

alj harem:

You sir are a parasite ! Shebi na how una dey talk am

I am a Lagos indigene and I can tell you that Your oil or Your government had little or no impact on Lagos. Likes of Dangote, Adenuga, Ben Bruce etc made Lagos what it is.

We lagosians are not clinging on to any minority not to talk of resources. Maybe you need to go check your facts right. The highest revenue after Oil is Cocoa. Non-oil based state is Lagos (In terms of revenue)

Why did your GEJ give SW the highest allocation after SS ? Ask yourself, You think say na beans

I want you to understand my ingliush

1. You are not a SS but an Igbo man

2. You as an Igbo man pray for the downfall of SW and to an extent Lagos because of some reasons best known to you.

3. SS resources was and would never have an impact on Lagos or the SW

4. Tell your parasitic brothers to stop carrying ghana must go and saying "Mama village don tire me, I dey go Lagos" Only for you to come and commit crime and rituals

5. Lagos does not start and end with Yoruba, I have said it times without number. Lagos and indeed the entire SW region of Nigeria is a melting point for all ethnicity that is why your father or your father's friend was able to get educated. Go ask them.

6. We Yorubas might not be the strongest or smartest tribe according to you but we hold 3 things very strong and that is why we keep moving from strength to strength. Those things are God/Allah/Olodumare, hope and believe

We believe in our strength and we are not partial if not we would have been destroyed.

Till today the yorubas set the pace from the first television station in africa before France(WNTV aka NTA your father watches on his bed) to the first highraise building aka sky scraper (Cocoa house ibadan) to first free education before the British. To free health etc

Now we have set the standards again because unlike you that your are too bigoted to ask for accountability from your leaders. We are not like that, we protest against "our sons and daugthers" in power if they misuse it.

Today Yorubas can boast of the first man made Island in Africa. Alhamdu lillah

It is not by yorubas power but by faith in God. Keep hating while they move from strength to strength

Now we are talking of light rail and constant electrity. Very soon Mama I dey go lagos would come and tell us it is Oil money. LOL

Ingrates

Look at these two boffuns, one is insisting that I am an Igbo mand and the other is insisting that I have eyes on lagos?? You guys make me laugh.....

The yorubas can boast of having the first in some stuff, others can also boast of being the first at other things too, check the benin moat...the longest earth made wall in the world....You are not better than any other person or tribe...you are average like the rest of us...

Fistly lagos colony was capital of the country, even if lagos island was the capital as you claim, the fact that the FG concentrated it development there meant that surrounding areas would also experience development.

Your claims that after 1967 when lagos was converted to a state, it started to recieve state alocations does not acknowledge the fact that Lagos was still the federal capital up on till 1991 or so.. Y r u like this? It like saying Abuja like other states is recieveing oil funds, but the reason Abuja is developing faster than other places is because Gwari people are more tolerant, more sharper and brighter than others..

Natural resources require human resources to be tapped abi...and the resources can only be found in yorubaland...this is why I have a fundamental problem with yourkind of reasoning...You have to accept that you are no better than the rest, otherwise you remain a F00l.

"convivial and safe atmosphere in Lagos is down to the hospitability of the indigenes of Lagos" r u for real tell me one place in southern nigeria that does not have the same? check history of Lagos and see how the british subdued Lagos and administered it differently from the rest of Nigeria...This type of administration and rule of the british is what gave rise to growth of Lagos, not exceptional smartness of yoruba people...go to warri, and PH, Benin and see people mixing freely, apart from the clanish artitude of the yorubas.

At ahj harem, I agree that I am a parasite because as a trained engineer, I am not producing value I feel I should be adding to society, maybe due to my own fault or the society I find myself, but thats another issue for debate...now the question is how do you see yourselve? do you realise what value you could be adding, or are you wallowing in ignorance, satisfied that yorubas are better than the rest of the country? just be casue they were luckier to have had some things go their way?

I am a strong believer in the theory that any place can become anything at any time, what is required is the adequate detrermination to make it, so why on earth should I be envious of Lagos?? Abuja became what it is under 20 years? there were 60,000 living in lagos in 1860 according to wikipedia so please tell me yyyyyy?

I simple just need you guys to stop braging about how good you are, forget about free stuff and depending on resources of minorities like leeches, roll up sleeves and demand for a better structured country...

Being the first at anything does not make you better than your fellow country men...get that into your thick skulls....

The south south is asking for resource control, true federlism, the south east too is will go go along even when a number of their states may loose oil revenue, the north Kpa Kpa has said outright..we r lazy and cant survive without this oil...a truthfull, though wrong response...
The SW is another matter altogether...they preach true federalism, resource control in public, but their actions show that actually show that they are really interested in protecting and protesting a lazy structure that currently obtains
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by DaLover(m): 11:00am On May 05, 2012
alj harem: It is good that the truth is gradually coming out. Before we say A and B some iddeeiots would say Crude oil developed this, we developed that. LOL
Malu brain, is there any place that did not have some level of development before oil? such a retard
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by DaLover(m): 11:08am On May 05, 2012
From 1900 to 1963 see the development spread as a result of being the federal capital where development was concentrated, the period oild was discovered.. 1963 to 1984 and beyond...see explosion in urban development... and some mugus clain it all about yoruba ingenuity.... u will die upside down!!

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by DaLover(m): 11:22am On May 05, 2012
Look at us ,
we r best in nigeria, see how we developed lagos with our creativity and labour, we are tired of those disturbing us in our lagos, we have the first university and the first televistation in africa, so that makes others inferior to us, we are the most educated so we determine how to manage others resources and where to manage it form, our party is the best, we have the most sophisticated electorate, we don't vote corrupt people, the yorubas dont believe in cheating, we are the most tolerant, we have the best governor, there is oil in Lagos so lets spread the joy. Abuja is oil money, lagos is yoruba sagacity.
Presently our own party people in senate and HOR are rejecting their own share of the mega allowances, we need true federalism where the FG continues to share oil money. We are the most advances but just need to have a watered down cost price crude products.
What a bunch of people!!
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by aljharem(m): 11:32am On May 05, 2012
DaLover:

Look at these two boffuns, one is insisting that I am an Igbo mand and the other is insisting that I have eyes on lagos?? You guys make me laugh.....

The yorubas can boast of having the first in some stuff, others can also boast of being the first at other things too, check the benin moat...the longest earth made wall in the world....You are not better than any other person or tribe...you are average like the rest of us...

Fistly lagos colony was capital of the country, even if lagos island was the capital as you claim, the fact that the FG concentrated it development there meant that surrounding areas would also experience development.

Your claims that after 1967 when lagos was converted to a state, it started to recieve state alocations does not acknowledge the fact that Lagos was still the federal capital up on till 1991 or so.. Y r u like this? It like saying Abuja like other states is recieveing oil funds, but the reason Abuja is developing faster than other places is because Gwari people are more tolerant, more sharper and brighter than others..

Natural resources require human resources to be tapped abi...and the resources can only be found in yorubaland...this is why I have a fundamental problem with yourkind of reasoning...You have to accept that you are no better than the rest, otherwise you remain a F00l.

"convivial and safe atmosphere in Lagos is down to the hospitability of the indigenes of Lagos" r u for real tell me one place in southern nigeria that does not have the same? check history of Lagos and see how the british subdued Lagos and administered it differently from the rest of Nigeria...This type of administration and rule of the british is what gave rise to growth of Lagos, not exceptional smartness of yoruba people...go to warri, and PH, Benin and see people mixing freely, apart from the clanish artitude of the yorubas.

At ahj harem, I agree that I am a parasite because as a trained engineer, I am not producing value I feel I should be adding to society, maybe due to my own fault or the society I find myself, but thats another issue for debate...now the question is how do you see yourselve? do you realise what value you could be adding, or are you wallowing in ignorance, satisfied that yorubas are better than the rest of the country? just be casue they were luckier to have had some things go their way?

I am a strong believer in the theory that any place can become anything at any time, what is required is the adequate detrermination to make it, so why on earth should I be envious of Lagos?? Abuja became what it is under 20 years? there were 60,000 living in lagos in 1860 according to wikipedia so please tell me yyyyyy?

I simple just need you guys to stop braging about how good you are, forget about free stuff and depending on resources of minorities like leeches, roll up sleeves and demand for a better structured country...

Being the first at anything does not make you better than your fellow country men...get that into your thick skulls....

The south south is asking for resource control, true federlism, the south east too is will go go along even when a number of their states may loose oil revenue, the north Kpa Kpa has said outright..we r lazy and cant survive without this oil...a truthfull, though wrong response...
The SW is another matter altogether...they preach true federalism, resource control in public, but their actions show that actually show that they are really interested in protecting and protesting a lazy structure that currently obtains

LOL My brother, you are suffering from a severe case of inferiority complex and thus you hate the idea that Lagos does not depend on the likes of you. grin grin grin grin grin Na die of envy dey worry you and that is why I just keep laughing at your stu.pidity.

Just last week or so, your brother Beaf another jealousy envious brother of yours was talking of globacom not growing because according to him Globacom is a "Yoruba company". My brother I can tell you categorically that many yorubas don't even look at things from that point of view. All we do is think progressively while you and your fellow goons plan their downfall.

The longest man made wall if I remember quite correctly is the great wall of China and not benin. Moreover Benin is a family of Odua thus partially Yoruba and their achievement is the joy of all Yorubas and Yoruba achievement is the Joy of Bini people. Go figure, of course NL would tell us a different thing.

Awori was part of the benin kingdom so technically the honours is mine as well. Thanks smiley grin grin

Now as for the ranting. Don't worry it is ok After Yorubas finish building the first and largest man made island in Africa, the next projects would be to Build a railway that links all Odua territory in Nigeria, then constant electricity

Forget the government, these are the people aka private investors doing it so don't stress yourself. As you probably know, that Eko atlantic is sponsor by your so called Yoruba companies don't you ? LOL grin grin grin

As you well know as again we are calling for true fedralism or even a complete split. Go figure. Right before independence till date but of course your fore-father though they were smart and it back fired big time.

Don't worry, we yorubas don't discriminate. You are well come to school in Awolowo uni or Ibadan uni the first in Nigeria again or probably have a holiday in the Man made Island the first in africa.

I hope your village and your fore-fathers would demand accountability for your leaders rather than disturbing the people better than you.

Imagine Nigeria (Tribalistic goons) complaining about Uk (Odua nation) shouting that UK was not built by Britain alone, etc grin grin grin grin
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by manny4life(m): 11:34am On May 05, 2012
You people can argue...

The confusing part of some post got me bamboozled. someone said the pics were before independence but the thread topic says otherwise, which is it? Well, Lagos looked good before the independence but I must say though Lagos was developing during it's time in the 60's and 70's, at least prior to the 80's and 90's, a huge chunk of vast development was from large influx of people and money/investment.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply)

Bukola Saraki Laughs As Dino Melaye Hails Him, Mocks Haters / Tinubu, Shettima: Video Of 'Fake Bishops' As Journalist Attempts To Interview / El-Rufai And Oshiomhole At Oba Of Benin Palace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.