Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,692 members, 7,816,828 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:09 PM

Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence (56461 Views)

#FuelScarcity; Senators Visit Capital Oil And Other Petroleum Depots..photos / Pictures Of Lagos Before Independence / NNPC Has No Record Of Nigeria's Actual Crude Oil Production Per Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by noiseless: 9:24pm On May 04, 2012
The British must be biting off their fingers gnashing their teeth asking themselves if the people they left everything to mannage were atually humans or apes, why on earth have they not extended things to look even more better than they were before to other states, what a backwardness maybe people are hoping the whitemen will come to the rescue once more?
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by london2lasgidi(m): 9:25pm On May 04, 2012
[s]
noiseless: The British must be biting off their fingers gnashing their teeth asking themselves if the people they left everything to mannage were atually humans or apes, why on earth have they not extended things to look even more better than they were before to other states, what a backwardness maybe people are hoping the whitemen will come to the rescue once more?
[/s]
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Ejine(m): 9:34pm On May 04, 2012
london2lasgidi: [s][/s]

How many people were educated enough to attend university?

IGNORED!

This is the best you can come up with? Do you now see why you shouldn't protest when I say you know nothing?

British occupied Nigeria for over hundred years and didn't find it fit to establish any tertiary institutes in the much-celebrated capital city, and the best you can ask is "how many people were educated enough to attend the university?"?
Mehn, you are a DISGRACE! Why not also ask me about how many people were sick enough to need good hospitals?
Do you now see how stupiid you are? grin

Anyway, keep posting your pictures to celebrate the hundred years of exploitation and slavery.

Olodo grin
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Nobody: 9:36pm On May 04, 2012
Naija is an example of what happens when something big is left to [b]only [/b]black people to run.
Name one All-black-government country that has actually progressed past the pseudo-stone-age.

Don't say Ghana, though it is better than naija in certain aspects, it's not quite there yet. And it only even started the slow move after a mass termination of corrupt black politicians.
Don't say South Africa, because I said ALL-BLACK governance.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Rossikk(m): 9:37pm On May 04, 2012
@poster, Thanks for those images from old Colonial Lagos.

Here are pictures from modern Independent Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Nobody: 9:39pm On May 04, 2012
[quote author=DaLover]
If yorubas single handedly developed lagos...what stopped them from developing the rest of the SW.......
/quote]

Very good question. They were doing just that in the old western region until another myopic ibo made Nigeria a unitary state and made everyone look to the FG for what the could easily do for themselves.

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Nobody: 9:41pm On May 04, 2012
@Rossikk

[size=14pt]My doozy is back, yo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin[/size]
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Ejine(m): 9:42pm On May 04, 2012
Yes oooo! Rossikke don land! grin
Educate these slaves a little.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Nobody: 9:45pm On May 04, 2012
Ejiné:

This is the best you can come up with? Do you now see why you shouldn't protest when I say you know nothing?

British occupied Nigeria for over hundred years and didn't find it fit to establish any tertiary institutes in the much-celebrated capital city, and the best you can ask is "how many people were educated enough to attend the university?"?
Mehn, you are a DISGRACE! Why not also ask me about how many people were sick enough to need good hospitals?
Do you now see how stupiid you are? grin

Anyway, keep posting your pictures to celebrate the hundred years of exploitation and slavery.

Olodo grin

Eh hen. No be una be dis? undecided
Exploitation! Slavery! Exploitation! Slavery!
Oya please tell me what you have done with your life since they left you alone.

Your roads and structures degenerated, your currency was run to the ground by your crooked black leaders who kept on thiefing till the value of the Naira died, no plan for tomorrow type-thiefing.
It had to be the UK, out of their own frustration and tiredness of seeing you monkeys beat around the bush and complain yet doing NOTHJING for yourselves, that jailed that ibori criminal. Something any sensible justice system would have easily done without a sweat, yet your ... wait sorry naija doesn't even have a justice system does it? just a bunch of crooks who wear uniforms and similar characters who wear judge wigs. Yet you have the gall to complain and point your finger at another country. Get off your azz Bloody hypocrites grin

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by DaLover(m): 9:47pm On May 04, 2012
[quote author=Aigbofa][/quote]
I don't understand, the myopic igbo stopped the rest of the SW but couldn't stop that in Lagos? What Lagos part of Benin republic at any point in time....ur attempts to potray ur selves as superior to others is just outrightly shamefully.....
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Nobody: 9:54pm On May 04, 2012
DaLover:
I don't understand, the myopic igbo stopped the rest of the SW but couldn't stop that in Lagos? What Lagos part of Benin republic at any point in time....ur attempts to potray ur selves as superior to others is just outrightly shamefully.....

He actually stopped the whole of Nigeria from fulfilling it's economic destiny. A country like Nigeria should be comparing herself with the likes of South Korea, Malaysia and the rest.
As for Lagos, we should be talking of a world class city, not a choked up, chaotic city where some still live on a refuse dump.

Things are changing though. We cannot remain ignorant forever.

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Ejine(m): 10:01pm On May 04, 2012
Double...
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Ejine(m): 10:02pm On May 04, 2012
@2buff: Ugh! For pete's sake mehn, we freaking get it - Nigeria is rotten, the currency is on life support, Ibori has looted, blah blah blah.
Let me tell you, mehn, it is still MUCH better than what the country went through in the hands of the British. Take it or leave it!

And on corruption, how you take discover say corruption plenty for country? Shebi na as a result of publications from people in the media?
Now, compare that with 1910 when we had nothing else to live by except the words of the British. And you think they weren't corrupt? OMG!!! Let me tell you, their own corruption na wetin we dey call "corruption with effizzy".
Nobody could question them as their actions were LAW!
Can you pit that against 2012 where the random okada man on the street is very much aware of the happenings around him?
As rotten as the country may be in your eyes, what really matters to me is human development. And I stand bold to tell you we are BETTER OFF today.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by hector85(m): 10:07pm On May 04, 2012
cheesy cheesy
Zenakoboko: Nice collection! Good for the younger and upcoming generation.

We have come some distance in the race for civilisation (post-colonisation).

But we are not there yet, not even close.

Pls share some more.

Pls share some more.

Pls share some more.
Oliver Twist...hahaha
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Ejine(m): 10:09pm On May 04, 2012
2buff: Naija is an example of what happens when something big is left to [b]only [/b]black people to run.
Name one All-black-government country that has actually progressed past the pseudo-stone-age.

Don't say Ghana, though it is better than naija in certain aspects, it's not quite there yet. And it only even started the slow move after a mass termination of corrupt black politicians.
Don't say South Africa, because I said ALL-BLACK governance.

And what would happen if I said Botswana?
Bahamas nko, the most prosperous country in the Caribbean? That one also no follow for your eye, shebi?

Okay o.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by DaLover(m): 10:11pm On May 04, 2012
Aigbofa:

He actually stopped the whole of Nigeria from fulfilling it's economic destiny. A country like Nigeria should be comparing herself with the likes of South Korea, Malaysia and the rest.
As for Lagos, we should be talking of a world class city, not a choked up, chaotic city where some still live on a refuse dump.

Things are changing though. We cannot remain ignorant forever.
Are we talking about the same man that was killed 6months after he announced unitary government? I wonder what stopped to that killed him from reversing the unitary government immediately? Awo was a very powerful minister of finance in Gowons government, apart from recommending genocide via blockade against Igbos, do you think he might have just slipped to thought to Gowon about returning back to the peoper federal structure which Ojukwu had demanded for?
Maybe Awo forgot about federal structure because it was the early 70s and the oil boom money was being used to build all sorts of structures in Lagos as the capital...and the hypocrisy in Awo got the better of him.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Rossikk(m): 10:13pm On May 04, 2012
2buff:

Eh hen. No be una be dis? undecided
Exploitation! Slavery! Exploitation! Slavery!
Oya please tell me what you have done with your life since they left you alone.

Your roads and structures degenerated

You must be a maximum IGNORAMUS to write this. What road was built by the British that became 'degenerated'?

Name me ONE road they built. Was it Lagos-Benin? Onitsha-Port Harcourt? Lagos-Ibadan? Abuja-Kaduna? Which road did they build? ANSWER: NONE. All the roads we use today were built by Nigerian govts after independence. Under the British, virtually the only roads that existed were in Ikoyi, GRA Ibadan and GRA Kaduna, where the white folks lived. After they left was when the Nigerian govt began building actual inter-city expressways linking all the various cities and towns such as you see today.

Oh, as well as building the schools and universities we have today. Under British rule, 92% of Nigerians were illiterate. Thankfully that figure is down to 23% today under black rule, following massive investment in education by successive indigenous administrations.

your currency was run to the ground by your crooked black leaders who kept on thiefing till the value of the Naira died, no plan for tomorrow type-thiefing.

They built a lot more than the British did in their 63 years in office. I was just reading through the history and discovered the British built not one university in those 63 years. This, despite exporting billions worth of natural resources annually. Where do you think all the money went?

Can you imagine if the Nigerian govt. ruled for 63 years without building one university?

Would you reminisce with nostalgia over their rule?

No

So why would you reminisce over the foreign British exploiters who ruled and robbed the country while doing NOTHING? Is it because you have a colonial mentality and still think like a slave?
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by ono(m): 10:20pm On May 04, 2012
Oh well, we can say the recent pictures are those of lagos ''during the era of crude oil''.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Nobody: 10:21pm On May 04, 2012
DaLover:
Are we talking about the same man that was killed 6months after he announced unitary government? I wonder what stopped to that killed him from reversing the unitary government immediately? Awo was a very powerful minister of finance in Gowons government, apart from recommending genocide via blockade against Igbos, do you think he might have just slipped to thought to Gowon about returning back to the peoper federal structure which Ojukwu had demanded for?
Maybe Awo forgot about federal structure because it was the early 70s and the oil boom money was being used to build all sorts of structures in Lagos as the capital...and the hypocrisy in Awo got the better of him.

Unfortunately some things are not easily reversible. That is why other people vet their leaders as if their lives depend on it, and often it does. Awo, though powerful at the time was not the head of state. It is childish to even think he could reverse what the previous head of state did. If Awo cared so much about oil money, I doubt he would have been one the strongest supporters of true federalism in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Rossikk(m): 10:26pm On May 04, 2012
ono: Oh well, we can say the recent pictures are those of lagos ''during the era of crude oil''.

Crude oil or no crude oil, it is progress made under black rule.

If the British were still in charge you would not smell even 1/100th of those oil earnings. Today at least we can still see some fruits of our oil here and there. We can cry corruption today, because we even have the education to KNOW what is being stolen. Under colonial rule the natives for 63 years just sat there in their village huts, deliberately kept uneducated, as the British went to town on our resources, no questions asked.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by aljharem(m): 10:27pm On May 04, 2012
[size=13pt]Most of these non-yorubas (igbos in this case) talking are not even Lagos indigenes. Look, let me tell you the piece of my mind and it is the truth. The truth is always a bitter ppill to swallow.

1. In 1950's their were little or no Igbos in Lagos. Thus Igbos had NO impact in Lagos

2. In 1930's NO oil was discovered in Lagos or by Nigeria and most of the building back then apart from the houses in Ikoyi (please note this) and railway was by the british. The rest was by Lagosians, now Lagosians are the Awori,Egun,Ijebu and Egbas.

3. Way before 1900 Lagos has influenced a lot of Migrations of advance civilisations. I mean empires that can expand and can use the boat to cross from one point to another because Lagos is not a mainland but a series of Islands joined together. I wonder how Igbos were about to join these Islands since they have been migrating and developed Lagos.

4. I am an indigene of Lagos and part of the royal family. I can categorically tell those that say Lagos was not developed by other yorubas to stop dreaming. When Ekiti and Osun farmers where producing food for Lagosians, where were your fore-fathers ? When Ondo and Ogun provided the necessary things for Lagos, where were your fathers.

5. Most of your Igbos are too tribalistic and like to claim other people's land as your effort. Well this would not apply here because we know our hsitory.

The fact is that you cannot sow where you did not reap. During the fuel subsidy protest those that mainly oppose Lagos protest as far as I am aware were Igbos on Nairaland eg Dalover and co claiming SS orgin.

Keep deceiving yourselves when you say "go back to your Oyo etc". Majority of yorubas in Lagos are not Migrates but Indigenes, go figure. I am yet to see a migrate yoruba to claim Lagos unless for political appointment eg Tinubu and that is PERFECTLY fine because we yorubas say "Omo odua ni wa" That in short words means we are of the same father. This does not mean yorubas have a bigger hand in Lagos but it is always good to set the record straigh

If at all any group is to claim, then it is the binis because Awori-Egun people (which I am part of) are a mixture of Aworis, Yewa, Egun, Itsekiri, Egba, Ijebu, Bini, Nupe (tapa), Brazilians and Cerlos (who even uphold the yoruba culture in serre leano today)

I am out, that is the reality on ground. [/size]

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by aljharem(m): 10:32pm On May 04, 2012
Now this reality, whether you chose to accept it or keep wallowing in Ignorances and Lies is your cup of tea.

I wonder how a group of people that have always wish for a downfall of a city claim to be the ones that built it.

Pure Ignorance I say
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by CyberG: 10:33pm On May 04, 2012
Redacted.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by aljharem(m): 10:35pm On May 04, 2012
CyberG: Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by [size=16pt]PhysicsQED(m)[/size]: 6:43pm
CyberG: Are the two elements mentioned in this quote ^^ in their 70's or 80's and lived in the Lagos of those days? If NOT, then you should not let inane

Are you completely mentally deranged or something? My comment had nothing to do with ethnicity or tribe. My allusion to Rossike's comments about these kinds of threads is about the British and the undeserved praise people give them for how Lagos was back then without taking cognizance of all the facts.

You're a fool PhysicsQED.

You're a fool PhysicsQED.

and...

You're a BIG fool PhysicsQED .

Had to say it three times because you're just that SO dumb PhysicsQED.

SwineSICKQED: You inbred SWINE, who are you talking BS? Thunder fire YOUR useless BRAIN and tiny DI.CK! Your moronic comment means nothing to the progress of a place you can NEVER be with a thousand seccessions! The current state of that place makes YOUR LONG THROAT water and why don't you come right here to Isale Eko to collect the SW that you dream about? Come with all your kith and kins in sardine cans and that will be your eternal home 12 feet in hades! What a waste of space!? If you ever talk to me with that useless mouth of yours I will cut it off and vaporize the curse of that human existence you think you ARE! angry angry angry angry angry ANUOFIA! EFULEFU IDIOT! ONYEBERIBE! EWU NSALA! OBUA! angry angry angry

Leave Physics out of this. wink
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by aljharem(m): 10:38pm On May 04, 2012
At those Igbos that know the history of Lagos more than me should please step forward so I can tell them that what their fathers told them was a big lie.

Some are even claiming that SE/SS is better than SW yet Ibadan house prices have gone up because of constant Migration. Or you developed Ibadan as well ?

Nothing man no go hear for Nairaland.

2 Likes

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Nobody: 10:41pm On May 04, 2012
Rossikk:

You must be a maximum IGNORAMUS to write this. What road was built by the British that became 'degenerated'?

Name me ONE road they built. Was it Lagos-Benin? Onitsha-Port Harcourt? Lagos-Ibadan? Abuja-Kaduna? Which road did they build? ANSWER: NONE. All the roads we use today were built by Nigerian govts after independence. Under the British, virtually the only roads that existed were in Ikoyi, GRA Ibadan and GRA Kaduna, where the white folks lived. After they left was when the Nigerian govt began building actual inter-city expressways linking all the various cities and towns such as you see today.

Oh, as well as building the schools and universities we have today. Under British rule, 92% of Nigerians were illiterate. Thankfully that figure is down to 23% today under black rule, following massive investment in education by successive indigenous administrations.

They built a lot more than the British did in their 63 years in office. I was just reading through the history and discovered the British built not one university in those 63 years. This, despite exporting billions worth of natural resources annually. Where do you think all the money went?

Can you imagine if the Nigerian govt. ruled for 63 years without building one university?

No

So why would you reminisce over the foreign British exploiters who ruled and robbed the country while doing NOTHING? Is it because you have a colonial mentality and still think like a slave?

HAHAHa Oh my word. Make una come see proper [size=18pt]case in point[/size].
I said "your roads and structures are degenerated", yet you somehow have turned it into "When did the British ever build roads for us?". So you are still expecting them to leave their country to come and fix road for you abi?
Can you see how you are still idolizing the British in a sick way? Until you get off your collective arses and stop BLAMING everyone else for your failures, only then can naija move forward.

Your lives have been in your hands since the 1960's. To still be blaming anything or anyone right now for your static progress AMIDST all your natural blessings simply rings the saying true that "empty vessels make more noise". This complaining is only an indicator of stark incompetence. Abi south Koreans no be una age mate?

And they share their northern borders with people that want to kill them undecided
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Ejine(m): 10:44pm On May 04, 2012
CyberG just shot himself on the foot, as he's unaware PhysicsQED is a Bini boy grin
Nairaland no go keee meee with laff o! grin grin
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by aljharem(m): 10:45pm On May 04, 2012
Rossikk:

No

Thank you
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Nobody: 10:48pm On May 04, 2012
alj harem: [size=13pt]Most of these non-yorubas (igbos in this case) talking are not even Lagos indigenes. Look, let me tell you the piece of my mind and it is the truth. The truth is always a bitter ppill to swallow.

1. In 1950's their were little or no Igbos in Lagos. Thus Igbos had NO impact in Lagos

2. In 1930's NO oil was discovered in Lagos or by Nigeria and most of the building back then apart from the houses in Ikoyi (please note this) and railway was by the british. The rest was by Lagosians, now Lagosians are the Awori,Egun,Ijebu and Egbas.

3. Way before 1900 Lagos has influenced a lot of Migrations of advance civilisations. I mean empires that can expand and can use the boat to cross from one point to another because Lagos is not a mainland but a series of Islands joined together. I wonder how Igbos were about to join these Islands since they have been migrating and developed Lagos.

4. I am an indigene of Lagos and part of the royal family. I can categorically tell those that say Lagos was not developed by other yorubas to stop dreaming. When Ekiti and Osun farmers where producing food for Lagosians, where were your fore-fathers ? When Ondo and Ogun provided the necessary things for Lagos, where were your fathers.

5. Most of your Igbos are too tribalistic and like to claim other people's land as your effort. Well this would not apply here because we know our hsitory.

The fact is that you cannot sow where you did not reap. During the fuel subsidy protest those that mainly oppose Lagos protest as far as I am aware were Igbos on Nairaland eg Dalover and co claiming SS orgin.

Keep deceiving yourselves when you say "go back to your Oyo etc". Majority of yorubas in Lagos are not Migrates but Indigenes, go figure. I am yet to see a migrate yoruba to claim Lagos unless for political appointment eg Tinubu and that is PERFECTLY fine because we yorubas say "Omo odua ni wa" That in short words means we are of the same father. This does not mean yorubas have a bigger hand in Lagos but it is always good to set the record straigh

If at all any group is to claim, then it is the binis because Awori-Egun people (which I am part of) are a mixture of Aworis, Yewa, Egun, Itsekiri, Egba, Ijebu, Bini, Nupe (tapa), Brazilians and Cerlos (who even uphold the yoruba culture in serre leano today)

I am out, that is the reality on ground. [/size]

Jealousy breeds hatred!! They're jealous - I bet if someone posted pictures of Enugu in 1960s, they would all come out to praise it. They're inbred with that jealousy trait - please ignore them...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Bukola Saraki Laughs As Dino Melaye Hails Him, Mocks Haters / Tinubu, Shettima: Video Of 'Fake Bishops' As Journalist Attempts To Interview / El-Rufai And Oshiomhole At Oba Of Benin Palace

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.