Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,710 members, 7,816,914 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:07 PM

Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence (56464 Views)

#FuelScarcity; Senators Visit Capital Oil And Other Petroleum Depots..photos / Pictures Of Lagos Before Independence / NNPC Has No Record Of Nigeria's Actual Crude Oil Production Per Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by aljharem(m): 10:49pm On May 04, 2012
DECOtech: will u shut ur smelly gut, u bloody tribalist. The poster said lag was built by slave returnees. Were the Igbos not also captured n sold into slavery?
Its not a must for u to reply to a post.

No returnee slaves were NOT IGBOS but Cerlos people and Brazilian heritage. Go check your facts right

In as much as I do not support Ijoz post, You should stop saying things you are not sure of. Returnee slaves DID NOT HAVE IGBO ORIGIN.

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Nobody: 10:52pm On May 04, 2012
Loving the pictures of old and new Lagos. cool
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Nobody: 10:52pm On May 04, 2012
alj harem:

No returnee slaves were NOT IGBOS but Cerlos people and Brazilian heritage. Go check your facts right

In as much as I do not support Ijoz post, You should stop saying things you are not sure of. Returnee slaves DID NOT HAVE IGBO ORIGIN.

Thanks

The returnee slaves were of the Egba stock. They were Yorubas!

2 Likes

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Ejine(m): 10:56pm On May 04, 2012
But wetin be "Onyeberibe" though? Is that like Asante? grin
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by aljharem(m): 10:56pm On May 04, 2012
shymmex:

The returnee slaves were of the Egba stock. They were Yorubas!

I could careless, all I know is that they were yorubas thus explain the cultural infulence in serra leano (We have a serra leanoian to confirm this on Nairaland) and Brazilian, likes of Okundayo Fernadanz etc

Mind my spelling.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by aljharem(m): 10:58pm On May 04, 2012
Ejiné: But wetin be "Onyeberibe" though? Is that Asante? grin

What is Onye Beribe ? That is Igbo

Onye means - person

Beribe in hausa means - Yoruba

Just like Abuoshe, Onyioshi etc all are have to used by people from different part of the country to insult others. Does not mean anything, Infact Onye this onye that is no longer in use as far is broken-english is concerned

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Nobody: 10:58pm On May 04, 2012
alj harem:

I could careless, all I know is that they were yorubas thus explain the cultural infulence in serra leano (We have a serra leanoian to confirm this on Nairaland) and Brazilian, likes of Okundayo Fernadanz etc

Mind my spelling.

Ok, but please don't let jealousy and hatred make these people hug a wet transformer. grin
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by EkoIle1: 10:59pm On May 04, 2012
Lmao...so ibo people don begin claim returnee slave too.? How many ibo dey live for popo aguda in lagos. I though you losers are Japanese today and Jews tomorrow? What else are you going to claim? Eskimo?

Yeye people with no sense of belonging.

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by aljharem(m): 11:00pm On May 04, 2012
shymmex:

Ok, but please don't let jealousy and hatred make these people hug a wet transformer. grin

LOL, shymmex I am not saying this to downgrade anyone. They say "when a lie is been propagated for a long time, it is then considered the truth"

Just like a thread Beaf go owned, I hope my Igbo brothers don't fall for this trap.

We are one family now in Lagos but people need to stop rewriting our history to suit their agenda.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Nobody: 11:01pm On May 04, 2012
Eko Ile: Lmao...so ibo people don begin claim returnee slave too.? How many ibo dey live for popo aguda in lagos. I though you losers are Japanese today and Jews tomorrow? What else are you going to claim? Eskimo?

Yeye people with no sense of belonging.

Loool!! They didn't know there were no Igbo slaves in Brazil and Cuba. Igbo slaves were taken to Virginia, Haiti, Jamaica, and partially Barbados (most of the slaves in Barbados were Yorubas - hence, why they call their presidential villa: Oduduwa house).

3 Likes

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Ejine(m): 11:05pm On May 04, 2012
alj harem:

What is Onye Beribe ? That is Igbo

Onye means - person

Beribe in hausa means - Yoruba

Just like Abuoshe, Onyioshi etc all are have to used by people from different part of the country to insult others. Does not mean anything, Infact Onye this onye that is no longer in use as far is broken-english is concerned

Who asked you, Retarrdo? Was I talking to you?
My comment was directed at CyberG who obviously meant to say "onye iberiibe", and you're telling me about pidgin english.
Please, shut the phuck up and concentrate on your senseless childish tribal bickering and keep awaiting those replies (since that's all your miserable life is about), you solidified heap of camel shiit.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Nobody: 11:06pm On May 04, 2012
alj harem: LOL, shymmex I am not saying this to downgrade anyone. They say "when a lie is been propagated for a long time, it is then considered the truth"

Just like a thread Beaf go owned, I hope my Igbo brothers don't fall for this trap.

We are one family now in Lagos but people need to stop rewriting our history to suit their agenda.

I concur!

Victoria Island, Lekki, Ajah, Epe, and Ikorodu were Ijebu waterside - and part of the Western region. Victoria Island was developed by the western region. Even Lekki was developed by the Yorubas - all the Estates in Lekki were built by Yorubas.. They sold some of the houses in those Estates to some Igbos - in the spirit of one Nigeria.

I bet these people don't know that those lands are on leasehold, and not freehold - we ijebus are coming back to take our lands when the lease is up.. Bwahahahahahaha!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by OdenigboAroli(m): 11:09pm On May 04, 2012
alj harem: [size=13pt]Most of these non-yorubas (igbos in this case) talking are not even Lagos indigenes. Look, let me tell you the piece of my mind and it is the truth. The truth is always a bitter ppill to swallow.

1. In 1950's their were little or no Igbos in Lagos. Thus Igbos had NO impact in Lagos

2. In 1930's NO oil was discovered in Lagos or by Nigeria and most of the building back then apart from the houses in Ikoyi (please note this) and railway was by the british. The rest was by Lagosians, now Lagosians are the Awori,Egun,Ijebu and Egbas.

3. Way before 1900 Lagos has influenced a lot of Migrations of advance civilisations. I mean empires that can expand and can use the boat to cross from one point to another because Lagos is not a mainland but a series of Islands joined together. I wonder how Igbos were about to join these Islands since they have been migrating and developed Lagos.

4. I am an indigene of Lagos and part of the royal family. I can categorically tell those that say Lagos was not developed by other yorubas to stop dreaming. When Ekiti and Osun farmers where producing food for Lagosians, where were your fore-fathers ? When Ondo and Ogun provided the necessary things for Lagos, where were your fathers.

5. Most of your Igbos are too tribalistic and like to claim other people's land as your effort. Well this would not apply here because we know our hsitory.

The fact is that you cannot sow where you did not reap. During the fuel subsidy protest those that mainly oppose Lagos protest as far as I am aware were Igbos on Nairaland eg Dalover and co claiming SS orgin.

Keep deceiving yourselves when you say "go back to your Oyo etc". Majority of yorubas in Lagos are not Migrates but Indigenes, go figure. I am yet to see a migrate yoruba to claim Lagos unless for political appointment eg Tinubu and that is PERFECTLY fine because we yorubas say "Omo odua ni wa" That in short words means we are of the same father. This does not mean yorubas have a bigger hand in Lagos but it is always good to set the record straigh

If at all any group is to claim, then it is the binis because Awori-Egun people (which I am part of) are a mixture of Aworis, Yewa, Egun, Itsekiri, Egba, Ijebu, Bini, Nupe (tapa), Brazilians and Cerlos (who even uphold the yoruba culture in serre leano today)

I am out, that is the reality on ground. [/size]

Odenigbo Aroli = Nri priest.

Who is claiming lagos ? Igbos never claimed lagos for a day but you can't overlook their staggering investments and contributions into the place right from time before LOUIS OJUKWU became the wealthiest man then. The east were trading palm oil,west coccoa,north groundnut,midwest rubber and these groups all paid taxes that was used by the british to develop their area of residence which was lagos the capital ! So, tell me exactly what you are trying to achieve with this your obviously biased post.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by OdenigboAroli(m): 11:12pm On May 04, 2012
shymmex:

I concur!

Victoria Island, Lekki, Ajah, Epe, and Ikorodu were Ijebu waterside - and part of the Western region. Victoria Island was developed by the western region. Even Lekki was developed by the Yorubas - all the Estates in Lekki were built by Yorubas.. They sold some of the houses in those Estates to some Igbos - in the spirit of one Nigeria.

I bet these people don't know that those lands are on leasehold, and not freehold - we ijebus are coming back to take our lands when the lease is up.. Bwahahahahahaha!!

So, yorubas pulled their money together and developed lekki ?? Its either you are sick or you have no brain!
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Nobody: 11:13pm On May 04, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

Odenigbo Aroli = Nri priest.

Who is claiming lagos ? [size=14pt]Igbos never claimed lagos for a day[/size] but you can't overlook their staggering investments and contributions into the place right from time before LOUIS OJUKWU became the wealthiest man then. The east were trading palm oil,west coccoa,north groundnut,midwest rubber and these groups all paid taxes that was used by the british to develop their area of residence which was lagos the capital ! So, tell me exactly what you are trying to achieve with this your obviously biased post.

The bolded part shows you're new to nairaland..

The constant claim of Lagos by NL igbo posters have made a lot of people hate you guys... You can't claim other peoples' hometown and expect them to smile with you - and not look at you guys suspiciously..

My pops told me they have stopped selling lands to Igbos in Epe because of this madness.. I'm from Epe by the way.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Nobody: 11:14pm On May 04, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:
So, yorubas pulled their money together and developed lekki ?? Its either you are sick or you have no brain!

I won't go into tribal rants with you - but tell me one estate on the Osapa London, VGC, and Lekki axis built by an Igbo??

I'm from that area, by the way.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by DECOtech(m): 11:36pm On May 04, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^Haba! Take am easy abeg. You had a chance to send them packing in the late 60's but elected for 'one naijeriah' with all that comes with it.

PS- It's Igbo not Ibo. cheers.
God bless u without measurement.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by PhysicsQED(m): 11:39pm On May 04, 2012
@ 2buff

I'm not interested in joining in the conversation/debate but I have a comment on a statement you made. You stated:

your currency was run to the ground by your crooked black leaders

In reality wasn't Nigeria's currency fine until the structural adjustment program?

And even then a crooked black leader (Abacha) tried to keep it from devaluing further.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by PhysicsQED(m): 11:48pm On May 04, 2012
[edited]

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by OdenigboAroli(m): 11:49pm On May 04, 2012
shymmex:

I won't go into tribal rants with you - but tell me one estate on the Osapa London, VGC, and Lekki axis built by an Igbo??

I'm from that area, by the way.

Look,in my home town of Umuoji we have houses that you will marvel at but there is no good roads nor town planning. Now,if the government decides to come in and plan the town,build roads and administrative buildings we Umuojians cant come and claim we single-handedly built the town cos it was tax payers money that was used to develop it!

This is why i doubt you have common sense !
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by chatterly: 11:51pm On May 04, 2012
Abeg,enough of this Yoruba good,igbo bad and vice versa that is now the norm on nairaland,its totally unneccesary.Reality is that on ground these 2 peoples have a good relationship,but a lot of pple particularly those in the diaspora who have never really lived in nigeria(youths) or those who left the country donkey years ago rely on nairaland for info on what is happening in nigeria.This misinformation must stop.As an aside i was suprised when i saw parking meters in Apapa,apparently they were in use up until the early 70's.I am Yoruba by the way

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by PhysicsQED(m): 11:51pm On May 04, 2012
What does "obua" mean? I've looked the other ones up, but I don't get that one.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Nobody: 11:55pm On May 04, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

Look,in my home town of Umuoji we have houses that you will marvel at but there is no good roads nor town planning. Now,if the government decides to come in and plan the town,build roads and administrative buildings we Umuojians cant come and claim we single-handedly built the town cos it was tax payers money that was used to develop it!

You're dumb!! And the government who built the roads in Lekki looks Igbo to you? The money Lagos state gets from the federal coffers isn't enough to pay all the worker's salary.

I don't care what happens in your village - Lagos is my home state, and the Lekki-Ajah-Epe axis is my "village" - and you don't see me claiming your Umuoji village, why claim mine??

You guys need to start claiming your villages - and let me claim mine.

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Katsumoto: 12:04am On May 05, 2012
I see that the usual thieves are back to talk about Lagos.

Did/do your states not receive funds from the federal government just like Lagos did/does?

Instead of you guys to be wondering about how those funds were put into use, you are shouting from the roof top about Lagos because either you or your brother has a shop at Alaba and a house in festac.

Abeg make we hear word. Buying a house or renting a shop does not equate to contributing to development.

The development in Lagos is down to the people of Lagos. End of story. If you don't like it, sell your freaking house/shop and take your funds back to your own states. Jeez, these constant debates about Lagos are exasperating. Na only Lagos dey Nigeria?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Nobody: 12:11am On May 05, 2012
PhysicsQED: What does "obua" mean? I've looked the other ones up, but I don't get that one.

Loool at physicsQED - he probably thought you're igbo lol.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Katsumoto: 12:15am On May 05, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

Did you think before posting this?

You are boasting about people building fantastic homes when there are no roads? You and all those people who built fantastic homes in Umuoji should be flogged and made to kneel down for 3 hours.

2 Likes

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Nobody: 12:15am On May 05, 2012
Katsumoto: I see that the usual thieves are back to talk about Lagos.

Did/do your states not receive funds from the federal government just like Lagos did/does?

Instead of you guys to be wondering about how those funds were put into use, you are shouting from the roof top about Lagos because either you or your brother has a shop at Alaba and a house in festac.

Abeg make we hear word. Buying a house or renting a shop does not equate to contributing to development.

The development in Lagos is down to the people of Lagos. End of story. If you don't like it, sell your freaking house/shop and take your funds back to your own states. Jeez, these constant debates about Lagos are exasperating. Na only Lagos dey Nigeria?

Stay cool bro. We need you as an example of people who visit Nairaland and still manage to keep their sanity.

LMAO

2 Likes

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Ejine(m): 12:22am On May 05, 2012
PhysicsQED:

1. You don't know me, don't know my background, didn't bother to ask what motivated my earlier comments, and don't even seem to understand my comments, and yet you've managed to go on not one, but two idiotic rants in a row. Clap for yourself.

2. I have no intention of residing in Lagos at any time in the future so you don't need to worry about the moisture of my throat, my dreams, my kith and kin, my sardines, my cans, my cans of sardines, my mouth, my eternal home, my d1ck, or my brain. I appreciate your concern and interest, but all this whining, screaming and crying against me is misguided. I don't think our paths will ever cross since I tend not to mingle with riff-raff.

Same here!
Thank you!

I find it laughable when so many underachievers and ne'er-do-wells, who now rely on Lagos as their bread and butter, foolishly think the case is the same for everybody else.
And I'm not one to brag about my family's wealth, but this once, I'll state it bluntly - We are minted... Extremely! And I say it with pride grin - the family wealth even spills over to Benin City, Calabar and Abuja, but let me be blunt - Lagos means FUCKALL to us.
Not a single kobo of the family wealth is gotten from Lagos. We have no buildings there, no investments, no relatives, or even a common hut in Lagos!
I do not plan to go there any time soon
I do not plan to live there any time soon
I do not plan to make SHIIT from Lagos in the future either
I do not plan to have any business with Lagos, or any affairs with Lagos in any way.
My family's towering business success can be linked to many notable Nigerian cities, but Lagos is NOT one of them.

So I laughed soooo hard at the other knucklehead who said I was jealous grin
The idiiot's ignorant mind obviously can't function outside his El Dorado, Lagos, which is why he thinks every Nigerian gives a fuuuckk about the place.

SMH. I'll congratulate his stupiidity for that goof in reasoning sha.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Katsumoto: 12:24am On May 05, 2012
Aigbofa:

Stay cool bro. We need you as an example of people who visit Nairaland and still manage to keep their sanity.

LMAO

grin grin grin grin

Trust me, I am cool.

I have my reasons.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Katsumoto: 12:28am On May 05, 2012
Ejiné:

Same here!
Thank you!

I find it laughable when so many underachievers and ne'er-do-wells, who now rely on Lagos as their bread and butter, foolishly think the case is the same for everybody else.
And I'm not one to brag about my family's wealth, but this once, I'll state it bluntly - We are minted... Extremely! And I say it with pride grin - the family wealth even spills over to Benin City, Calabar and Abuja, but let me be blunt - Lagos means FUCKALL to us.
Not a single kobo of the family wealth is gotten from Lagos. We have no buildings there, no investments, no relatives, or even a common hut in Lagos!
I do not plan to go there any time soon
I do not plan to live there any time soon
I do not plan to make SHIIT from Lagos in the future either
I do not plan to have any business with Lagos, or any affairs with Lagos in any way.
My family's towering business success can be linked to many notable Nigerian cities, but Lagos is NOT one of them.

So I laughed soooo hard at the other knucklehead who said I was jealous grin
The idiiot's ignorant mind obviously can't function outside his El Dorado, Lagos, which is why he thinks every Nigerian gives a fuuuckk about the place.

SMH. I'll congratulate his stupiidity for that goof in reasoning sha.

Lagos means fc.uk all to you, yet you have been commenting on this thread rather passionately for the past 9 hours.

Yes we believe you, you are minted. shocked

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by DaLover(m): 12:29am On May 05, 2012
These hypocrites keep coming to tell us they are better than the rest of us....i wonder why someone like me living in warri would start claiming Lagos, doesn't it make more sence to claim Abuja, london or newyork?
If people are saying they have invested so much in a place, and as a result need to have a say in the running of the place, thats another thing,
But if the indigenous people do not accept you, u pack ur bags and leave, Any body that feels that any particular place is the beginning and end of life needs to wake up....

How lagos became developed was from the national purse, just like Abuja today....it wasnt because yorubas are smarter than others...period. Sorry i dont want ur lagos, or even Abuja....i am quite in waffi city and pitaqua...the truth just has to be told......

The whole underlaying scheme of this thread is to subject the subconscious mind of some weaklings that the yorubas are a better race, and i am always on stand by to shoot down that philosophy.

Claims of being the most tolerant, the most intelligent, the most sophisticated bla bla bla......but yet clinging on to resources of the minorities like sickened vultures.

Please feel free to do what ever u want with Lagos, it is a yoruba state, but dont come here to tell me that yorubas developed the place solely or that oil did not or does not play a role in the building of Lagos. Hypocratic leech!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

El-Rufai And Oshiomhole At Oba Of Benin Palace / Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala's First Day As WTO Director-General (Pictures) / Sowore Reveals New Police Salary, Says No Policeman Should Earn Less Than N100k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.