Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,837 members, 7,817,475 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:53 PM

Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence (56471 Views)

#FuelScarcity; Senators Visit Capital Oil And Other Petroleum Depots..photos / Pictures Of Lagos Before Independence / NNPC Has No Record Of Nigeria's Actual Crude Oil Production Per Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by london2lasgidi(m): 12:18pm On May 04, 2012
I'm so happy about the present transformation (or re-transformation) of my beloved Lagos State (Las Gidi) - and I have decided to bring back memories (with pictures) - of what the great city of Lagos used to look like. Bear in mind that Lagos wasn't built by the colonial masters - the Lagos elites (mostly business men from the slave trade era), and slave returnees built Lagos. The British never developed Nigeria - they exploited the resources around Nigeria, and shipped it to Britain. The only thing Nigeria benefited from the colonialists was the rail network (and arguably Carter bridge) used in the transportation of the resources - from different of the country - to Lagos.

PS: I'm not trying to knock the colonial masters - I'm basically just trying to give credit to those who made Lagos what it was then. Old Lagos, the city my Dad will never stop talking about (Mum was raised in Ibadan).

Enjoy!

Fore more: http://lasgidiboy..co.uk/2012/05/old-lagos-before-1960.html

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by london2lasgidi(m): 12:20pm On May 04, 2012
More:

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by lasgidiboy1: 12:23pm On May 04, 2012
More:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by lasgidiboy1: 12:23pm On May 04, 2012
More

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by lasgidiboy1: 12:24pm On May 04, 2012
More:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by lasgidiboy1: 12:26pm On May 04, 2012
More:

2 Likes

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by lasgidiboy1: 12:26pm On May 04, 2012
More:

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by london2lasgidi(m): 1:29pm On May 04, 2012
I'm searching for more pictures - more to follow soon.

Campos, Lagos Island - is home. smiley

5 Likes

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by brixton: 1:32pm On May 04, 2012
Beautiful pictures

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by kaiter: 1:49pm On May 04, 2012
Great pics [img]http://www.demama.info/hjk[/img]
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by nanoken: 1:52pm On May 04, 2012
wow, lovely ol' lag...abeg lagos oti baje
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by chyket(m): 1:53pm On May 04, 2012
Very revealing!!!!!!!!!
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by palmwine(m): 1:53pm On May 04, 2012
The Streets were cleaner back then! cool

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by CyberG: 1:56pm On May 04, 2012
Wait, the usual criers and haters are coming to flood your thread with tears.Wait, the usual criers and haters are coming to flood your thread with tears. tongue tongue

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Zenakoboko(m): 1:57pm On May 04, 2012
Nice collection! Good for the younger and upcoming generation.

We have come some distance in the race for civilisation (post-colonisation).

But we are not there yet, not even close.

Pls share some more.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by CY09: 1:57pm On May 04, 2012
Nice pix. It affords us the oppottunity to see the "sane" Lagos.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Nobody: 1:59pm On May 04, 2012
Men is there no women in any of the pictures at that time? I miss those days!

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by ANTITRIBALISM(m): 2:01pm On May 04, 2012
Lagos is really ancient and mordern.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by jantavanta(m): 2:01pm On May 04, 2012
Wonderful pictures. It seems the development we are looking for is a quest for what we have lost!

6 Likes

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by blackboi(m): 2:04pm On May 04, 2012
Lovelysmiley
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Nobody: 2:10pm On May 04, 2012
see as the beach empty, no ashawo,nothing
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by greentea1: 2:17pm On May 04, 2012
there is always something to try. [img]http://www.spgames.info/g.gif[/img]
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by olapupo01(m): 2:17pm On May 04, 2012
apparently d Igbos are part of d people that made lagos what it is 2dae...maybe u nid 2 get ur facts rite b4 lashing out at them

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Muttex(m): 2:17pm On May 04, 2012
Thank you for this pictures......
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Nobody: 2:22pm On May 04, 2012
it was beautiful back in the 70's
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Nobody: 2:25pm On May 04, 2012
ola_pupo01: apparently d Igbos are part of d people that made lagos what it is 2dae...maybe u nid 2 get ur facts rite b4 lashing out at them
can you explain further,i.m.o, it was opportunities that built lagos not one tribe or how many igbos have you found selling dollars and gold at allen,ebute metta,ojuelegba etc
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by skyp(m): 2:25pm On May 04, 2012
this pictures only affirm to me that the British did not one day underdeveloped us before
they left. if only we were able to maintain all the structures they left on ground before their departure we
would have remain almost in the same class of development even till date. I am saying because the types of building
you see in these pictures is exactly what you see all over uk

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by doublecross(m): 2:26pm On May 04, 2012
looked like it was taking the shape of london....but what can we see today? rubish. thanks for the bautiful pics pal.it just brought back memories.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

10 African Countries With The Highest Military Strength And Fire Power / Buhari’s ADC Whispered To Him To Wave During His Inauguration - Twitter User / Wike Bans Nightclubs, Prostitution In Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.