Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,313 members, 7,839,506 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 09:11 PM

Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census (13407 Views)

Poll: What is your ethnicity?

Hausa: 0% (0 votes)
Nupe: 0% (0 votes)
Ibibio/Efik/Annang: 0% (0 votes)
Ijaw: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Hausa: 4% (28 votes)
Nupe: 2% (18 votes)
Igbo: 44% (282 votes)
Yoruba: 45% (289 votes)
Fulani: 1% (12 votes)
This poll has ended

Ibibio/Efik/Annang: 26% (31 votes)
Igala: 7% (9 votes)
Idoma: 17% (20 votes)
Bini: 34% (40 votes)
Itsekiri: 13% (15 votes)
This poll has ended

Urhobo: 25% (21 votes)
Isoko: 16% (14 votes)
Ijaw: 31% (26 votes)
Kanuri: 9% (8 votes)
Itsekiri: 16% (14 votes)
This poll has ended

Tiv: 26% (14 votes)
Isan: 30% (16 votes)
Jukun: 9% (5 votes)
Ebira: 18% (10 votes)
Gwari: 15% (8 votes)
This poll has ended

Nairaland Ethnic Census, What Tribe Are You From. / NAIRALAND 2013 Ethnic Census / Analysis Of Nigerian 2006 Census Results (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by JamesDoe: 9:26pm On May 22, 2012
Darn man, do we really need the pictures and descent into ethnic hatred?
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by odumchi: 10:11pm On May 22, 2012
Let's not let ethnocentrism distract us. The poll is still going well...

I'll close it in approximately 24 hours from now! So if you haven't voted, vote!

*You're identity will not be revealed if you vote*
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by Nobody: 10:23pm On May 22, 2012
odumchi: Let's not let ethnocentrism distrat us. The poll is still going well...

I'll close it in approximately 24 hours from now! So if you haven't voted, vote!

*You're identity will not be revealed if you vote*

Director general of Nairaland ibo campaign organization. grin grin I hope your signature sef no be another campaign strategy. cheesy
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by odumchi: 10:49pm On May 22, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Director general of Nairaland ibo campaign organization. grin grin I hope your signature sef no be another campaign strategy. cheesy

Funny. I don't direct anything ibo.

As for my signature, it's not in ibo either. grin

So I don't see how ibo people would understand it.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by ektbear: 11:43pm On May 22, 2012
I knew that my Yoruba people would not disappoint me in this one
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by PhysicsQED(m): 2:37am On May 23, 2012
I don't see how the fact that 90% of Nigeria's population is represented by those groups listed up there changes the fact that the poll is not necessarily a good indicator of the ethnic composition of the users on the site. For all we know there could be 3 or 4 times as many Ogoni users of the site that are willing to vote as Jukun users, but an Ogoni might not see their group listed and just exit the thread. Isoko is not larger than or significantly larger than Angas (that is not listed) and see how many votes Isoko got - nearly half of those of the entire Ibibio-Efik-Annang group put together.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by ektbear: 4:29am On May 23, 2012
PhysicsQED: I don't see how the fact that 90% of Nigeria's population is represented by those groups listed up there changes the fact that the poll is not necessarily a good indicator of the ethnic composition of the users on the site.
If I've successfully estimated the composition of 90% of the population of a site through an internet poll like this, then I am doing about as well as one can expect. Clearly it won't estimate the distribution with perfect accuracy. And if you are setting your bar at "perfect accuracy", obviously you are expecting too much.

For all we know there could be 3 or 4 times as many Ogoni users of the site that are willing to vote as Jukun users, but an Ogoni might not see their group listed and just exit the thread.
So? Again, both groups represent tiny fractions of Nigeria's population in general, and likely a tiny fraction of the population of this forum. Yes, it is possible that you are not measuring exactly a group that represents 0.1% of Nigeria and Nairaland's population.

But complaining about that makes as much sense about complaining that some national poll doesn't measure the independent candidacy of ekt_bear for President of the US in 2012 very well, and underestimates it.

Maybe my hypothetical presidential campaign should be angered that Gallup reported my support at 0.01% when in fact a better estimate is 0.1% of the US population who wants me as president. But.. telling small numbers apart from zero is in general not that easy.

And Ogonis have the option of posting here on this forum. There is no reason to assume they'd just exit the thread if they don't see their group listed.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by ektbear: 4:33am On May 23, 2012
Think about it mathematically.

If I have a coin that comes up head P percent of the time, then on average I expect I'll need to flip the coin 1/P times before I get a head.

Given that P in this case for Ogonis is probably on the order of 0.01%..
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by PhysicsQED(m): 5:06am On May 23, 2012
My point is that we don't know beforehand that Angas or Ogoni plus all the other ethnicities omitted only represent some miniscule fraction of nairaland's population just as we didn't know beforehand that Isokos would be overrepresented relative to their size or that Hausas would not participate in the poll in even moderately reasonable numbers. It's mere assumption. From the poll results so far we can see that Yoruba is 1/3rd, Igbo is 1/3rd, and all the rest whether including or excluding Hausa make up about 1/3rd as well. But for all you know if you include several more Isoko and Itsekiri types of groups these ratios of nairaland's (not Nigeria) composition/poll participation may change. And I'm not 'complaining' since the survey has no real consequences for the site or for anything to begin with, I'm pointing out a problem with the ability of the census to provide accurate estimates of the composition of the members of the forum. What if what you previously announced as 1/3rd is really more like 1/5th? I'm sure I'll be dismissed as a nitpicker but I just felt that I should provide a caveat/criticism before the poll is over and the estimates are considered final.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by ektbear: 5:20am On May 23, 2012
At the end of the day, we must make assumptions.

For all we know, in reality Ethnic Group X represent 20% of Nairaland, despite only being 0.1% of Nigeria's population.

Yes, in situations like this, this poll would be quite flawed.

But it is reasonable to assume that in most cases (emphasis on most) that there is some sort of relationship between % of Nigeria's population and representation on NL. At least, enough of a relationship wiehre 20%/0.1% type of stuff won't happen.

Yes, without a perfect poll, then one won't know if this assumption is justified or not. But that doesn't render the poll entirely useless.

And again, you are assuming that there is this large, uncaptured population who also refuses to self-identify on this forum. That seems pretty implausible to me.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by PhysicsQED(m): 5:30am On May 23, 2012
Well I see what you're saying and I don't oppose the reasoning but I'm just wary of assumptions in general unless the justifications are really convincing so I had to make that point.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by ektbear: 5:36am On May 23, 2012
Well, you are assuming that there is some significant, unrepresented population that also refuses to identify themselves.

We have to make assumptions one way or another.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by dasparrow: 6:36am On May 23, 2012
odumchi: The FG of Nairaland would like to know the population of its peoples inorder to properly allocate funds and services to the appropriate LGAs and states. Vote, and let your people be counted!

Lol, on a serious note, this is only for research and documentation purposes. I'm currently carrying out a study here on Nairaland and would appreciate it if everyone kindly voted and indicated their ethnicity. I'll try and add as many ethnicities as possible, and once again, I apologize if your people are not listed. cool

If your parents are of different ethnicites, kindly choose one. The link to last year's successful census can be found here: https://www.nairaland.com/725814/nairaland-2011-ethnic-census

I don't see my ethnicity listed so I am not voting. And I see that the ethnic bashing has been brought to this thread too just like almost all threads on Nairaland. I wonder why the moderators did not hide those posts showing children of war. It is very insensitive to leave such pictures here when they have absolutely nothing to do with the topic of the thread.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by PhysicsQED(m): 10:10am On May 23, 2012
ekt_bear: Well, you are assuming that there is some significant, unrepresented population that also refuses to identify themselves.

And you seem to be assuming that there isn't. Why?

If I came in and my group wasn't listed I wouldn't bother to identify myself or post in hopes of starting some spontaneous running tally in this thread of members of my ethnic group. I would just leave. The assumption I'm making is that this is standard, normal human behavior and is what most people would do.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by jackpot(f): 10:44am On May 23, 2012
[size=16pt]so ijaw people plenty pass hausa and fulani?

Wooooooooooowwww!!!

Up MEND!
[/size] cheesy cheesy
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by murtalaa(m): 1:54pm On May 23, 2012
I will vote when you merge hausa and fulani. But for i am just confused.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:23pm On May 23, 2012
murtalaa: I will vote when you merge hausa and fulani. But for i am just confused.

shut up. we are different. angry
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by Litmus: 8:43pm On May 23, 2012
odumchi: The FG of Nairaland would like to know the population of its peoples inorder to properly allocate funds and services to the appropriate LGAs and states. Vote, and let your people be counted!

Lol, on a serious note, this is only for research and documentation purposes. I'm currently carrying out a study here on Nairaland and would appreciate it if everyone kindly voted and indicated their ethnicity. I'll try and add as many ethnicities as possible, and once again, I apologize if your people are not listed. cool

If your parents are of different ethnicites, kindly choose one. The link to last year's successful census can be found here: https://www.nairaland.com/725814/nairaland-2011-ethnic-census

Ya missed out the majority Nairalander ethnic groups i.e those from the Caribbean, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Kenya, Cameroon, Ghana, America, Malaysia, India, middle east people, CIA, Somalia, Togo, Ivory Coast, Europeans etc. Many of these people will click on any Nigerian ethnic group for the hell of it and for hatred sake, so your poll is virtually pointless.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by ektbear: 10:31pm On May 23, 2012
PhysicsQED:

Err. Can't that reasoning be used for any assumption one wants to make? You have to justify why your assumption is reasonable, not me justify why it isn't...

If I came in and my group wasn't listed I wouldn't bother to identify myself or post in hopes of starting some spontaneous running tally in this thread of members of my ethnic group. I would just leave. The assumption I'm making is that this is standard, normal human behavior and is what most people would do.

Look, for this to actually be a problem, there needs to be some large, unrepresented group on this site, which is actually a small fraction of Nigeria's population, but for whom all of the members of said group behave in the exact same way you do. I.e., they'd just leave the thread rather than posting, "Hey, you guys forgot Group X."

Does this really sound that plausible to you? Of the members of Ethnic Group X who visited this thread, 100% of them read and left immediately w/o posting?

If 250 members of this ethnic group visited this thread, you are telling me that absolutely none of them would make a comment? They'd all just leave? And that is standard human behavior? That doesn't sound correct at all.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by odumchi: 10:50pm On May 23, 2012
PhysicsQED:

The groups represented make up upwards of 85 percent of Nigeria's population. No election is perfedt, even in the physical world. Everyone capable of voting never votes in physical elections so the same factor must be accounted for on e-elections. Wwe cna infer that the majority of those who were capable of voting did vote. For example, it is more likely for an Urhobo to be on Nairaland than it is for a Northern minority simply because of the population ratio. If two groups are of equal population and one is from the south while the other from the north, we can say that the Southern group is more likely to be present on Niaraland since most Nairalanders are Southerners...

As for those groups who were not included...
It is virtually impossible to include every thnicity. We ourselves don;t know exactly how many peoples Nigeria has. Some say over while others say over 500. The main idea is that no matter what is done, there will always be a group that will be excluded. However, as time progresses, more groups will be included in the poll. If you noticed, this year's poll had more groups than last year's.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by PhysicsQED(m): 10:57pm On May 23, 2012
edited
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by odumchi: 11:16pm On May 23, 2012
@ Everyone

Before I start the analyzation of the poll, I'd like to thank everyone that voted for their cooperation and effort. These figures are not exact or approximate, but they paint a rough picture of the size of the listed groups.

Analyzation
This year's poll was a success and we polled 879 votes which is a 51 percent increase from last year's 444.

Hausa - 27 (3%)

Nupe - 18 (2%)

Igbo - 282 (32%)

Yoruba - 289 (33%)

Fulani - 12 (1%)

Ibibio/Efik/Annang - 31 (4%)

Igala - 7 (1%)

Idoma - 20 (2%)

Bini - 40 (5%)

Itsekiri - 29 (3%)

Urhobo - 21 (2%)

Isoko - 16 (2%)

Ijaw - 26 (3%)

Kanuri - 8 (1%)

Tiv - 14 (2%)

Esan - 16 (2%)

Jukun - 5 (1%)

Ebira - 10 (1%)

Gwari - 8 (1%)

Note: The figures were rounded to the nearest tenth.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by PhysicsQED(m): 11:18pm On May 23, 2012
@ ekt bear
I don't know beforehand whether there is or is not some significant unrepresented population on NL and I don't know whether a group actually would go from being 1/3rd to 1/5th upon the inclusion of many more groups. What I do know is that there is no particularly strong reason so far to assume that there isn't such a population, so I asked why you were going with that assumption. On what constitutes normal behavior I think what I said earlier constitutes very normal behavior so if we're not going to agree on that then we're probably just not going to agree. On that example of yours I don't see why it has to be 250 of one group. It could be about 10 of 25 groups in 25 separate events (or a smaller number from more groups than 25) that leave the thread upon not seeing their particular group there. Of course the actual number of views of this thread (minus repeated views from the same guests or members) may completely rule that out as an explanation, but it is certainly more plausible in a hypothetical than the '250 of one group leaving the thread without a note of ethnic group identifying protest' scenario.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by odumchi: 11:24pm On May 23, 2012
Based on the results of this poll, the Igbo and Yoruba are nearly equal in numbers and constitute 65 percent of Nairaland while, as of now, the Yoruba are slightly the larger of the two.

Most populous ethnicites on Nairaland (based on results of the poll):

Yoruba
Igbo
Bini
Ibibio/Efik/Annang
Itsekiri
Hausa
Ijaw
Urhobo
Nupe
Esan
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by ezotik: 11:33pm On May 23, 2012
odumchi: Based on the results of this poll, the Igbo and Yoruba are nearly equal in numbers and constitute 65 percent of Nairaland while, as of now, the Yoruba are slightly the larger of the two.

Most populous ethnicites on Nairaland (based on results of the poll):

Yoruba
Igbo
Bini
Ibibio/Efik/Annang
Itsekiri
Hausa
Ijaw
Urhobo
Nupe
Esan

just curious, why did u split edo into groups? you even went as far as to split bini and esan but u joined ibibio/efik/annang as one?

so, since u are igbo, if u could go as far as splitting bini and esan why didn't u do same with igbo? i can't see ukwani, ika, ikwerre, ngwa. oh, i get it. ika and ngwa na one but bini and esan is not.

abeg carry ur yeye polls dey go with ur divisive method. and i didn't bother voting anyway.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by ektbear: 11:38pm On May 23, 2012
ezotik:

just curious, why did u split edo into groups? you even went as far as to split bini and esan but u joined ibibio/efik/annang as one?

so, since u are igbo, if u could go as far as splitting bini and esan why didn't u do same with igbo? i can't see ukwani, ika, ikwerre, ngwa. oh, i get it. ika and ngwa na one but bini and esan is not.

abeg carry ur yeye polls dey go with ur divisive method. and i didn't bother voting anyway.

Ibibio, Efik, Annang, their languages are mutually intelligible, no?

The Edoid groups, their languages are not, right?
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by AndreUweh(m): 11:40pm On May 23, 2012
ekt_bear: I knew that my Yoruba people would not disappoint me in this one
Has the poll ended?.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by ezotik: 11:42pm On May 23, 2012
ekt_bear:

Ibibio, Efik, Annang, their languages are mutually intelligible, no?

The Edoid groups, their languages are not, right?

maybe u should leave ekiti for once and go learn about other groups. who says edoid languages are not "mutually intelligible"? esan and bini is almost like one language not to talk of others.

btw, since u are yoruba, why was ekiti and ijebu not separated?
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by Nobody: 11:47pm On May 23, 2012
this is the true populations of different groups in nigeria, + - 10 -> 30% of people who cannot access nairaland through the net due to poverty or illiteracy.
those groups are found in all tribes
the poll is still a rough true representation of nigerian tribes
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by odumchi: 11:47pm On May 23, 2012
These figures illustarte the growth of these ethnicities during the period between August 2011 and May 2012:

Yoruba - 174% increase

Igbo - 147% increase

Ijaw - 260% increase

Bini - 100% increase

Hausa - 225% increase

Ibibio/Efik/Annang - 163% increase

Isoko - 100% increase

Urhobo - 357% increase

Fulani - 600% increase

Kanuri - 400% increase

Tiv - 1400% increase

Igala/Idoma - 725% increase

Itsekiri - 466% increase
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by ektbear: 11:48pm On May 23, 2012
ezotik:

maybe u should leave ekiti for once and to learn about other groups.
Lmao grin

who says ediod languages are not "mutually intelligible"? esan and bini is almost like one language not to take of others.
So a Bini speaker can understand what an Esan speaker is saying? Is this true of all groups in Edo State? I was under the impression that the opposite is true.

Shouldn't this question be directed at the author of the poll, not I?

I suspect that, since most Yoruba speakers favor standard Yoruba over their own dialect, the communication difficulties that existed in the 1800s were mostly gone by 1950, 1960 or so. Not to talk of 2012.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by AndreUweh(m): 11:49pm On May 23, 2012
ezotik:

maybe u should leave ekiti for once and go learn about other groups. who says edoid languages are not "mutually intelligible"? esan and bini is almost like one language not to talk of others.

Bini and Ishan should not be split up. They should come as Edo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Discos Face Imminent Collapse, Wallow In Debt / Boko Haram: Attacking Right Now a Police Station Near The Emir Palace in Kano... / Senate Moves To Tackle Erosion In South-East (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.