Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,007 members, 7,838,526 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:25 AM

Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census (13403 Views)

Poll: What is your ethnicity?

Hausa: 0% (0 votes)
Nupe: 0% (0 votes)
Ibibio/Efik/Annang: 0% (0 votes)
Ijaw: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Hausa: 4% (28 votes)
Nupe: 2% (18 votes)
Igbo: 44% (282 votes)
Yoruba: 45% (289 votes)
Fulani: 1% (12 votes)
This poll has ended

Ibibio/Efik/Annang: 26% (31 votes)
Igala: 7% (9 votes)
Idoma: 17% (20 votes)
Bini: 34% (40 votes)
Itsekiri: 13% (15 votes)
This poll has ended

Urhobo: 25% (21 votes)
Isoko: 16% (14 votes)
Ijaw: 31% (26 votes)
Kanuri: 9% (8 votes)
Itsekiri: 16% (14 votes)
This poll has ended

Tiv: 26% (14 votes)
Isan: 30% (16 votes)
Jukun: 9% (5 votes)
Ebira: 18% (10 votes)
Gwari: 15% (8 votes)
This poll has ended

Nairaland Ethnic Census, What Tribe Are You From. / NAIRALAND 2013 Ethnic Census / Analysis Of Nigerian 2006 Census Results (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by emmabowin(m): 10:41pm On May 21, 2012
I wonder the motive behind this census.My problem is that there are over 200 ethnic groups in Nigeria and i believe you can't have them all on the poll.Then it becomes unfair to those that are not on the poll.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by Nobody: 10:49pm On May 21, 2012
egift:

Ethic issues are getting much here for my liking. I also think suggesting this as a profile feature, letting members update their profile - should be better and more useful than casting a vote above.
Very correct.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by ektbear: 10:52pm On May 21, 2012
yorubaaaaaaaaaa stand up
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by Excelboi(m): 11:43pm On May 21, 2012
All dis Yoruba and biafran people.... Smh
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:48pm On May 21, 2012
krystabella28: Shurrup!my Husband and my Daughter is ijaw Descent!so i voted for my fams!mtscheww!sick to death of your Negativity!Get a life!

technically your daughter is not Ijaw. she is a hybrid mixed-breed mongrel, like a pudding. she is tribeless and of impure blood.. angry

1 Like

Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by ektbear: 11:53pm On May 21, 2012
Lol.

Probably a large fraction of humanity is of "impure" blood.

For example, Genghis Khan's DNA appears in like 2-3% of Asians. So any of them who aren't Mongolians are of "impure" blood.

It isn't something to get obsessed about.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:42am On May 22, 2012
ekt_bear: Lol.

Probably a large fraction of humanity is of "impure" blood.

For example, Genghis Khan's DNA appears in like 2-3% of Asians. So any of them who aren't Mongolians are of "impure" blood.

It isn't something to get obsessed about.

There is no such thing as Asian. that is a whiteman americans concept. tell me the ethnic group.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by ektbear: 12:52am On May 22, 2012
Han Chinese, for one.

Russians, for another...

Basically, when you build a huge empire, you get to spread your DNA pretty far and wide grin
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by ektbear: 12:55am On May 22, 2012
Many (if not most) white americans are mutts. German, Irish, English, Italian, ancestry. Some with Native American ancestors.

Doesn't seem to have hurt them much...

Like I said, I don't think being obsessed about racial purity makes a lot of sense.

Cultural integrity is what is important, not race, imo
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:03am On May 22, 2012
ekt_bear: Han Chinese, for one.

Russians, for another...

Basically, when you build a huge empire, you get to spread your DNA pretty far and wide grin
ekt_bear: Many (if not most) white americans are mutts. German, Irish, English, Italian, ancestry. Some with Native American ancestors.

Doesn't seem to have hurt them much...

Like I said, I don't think being obsessed about racial purity makes a lot of sense.

Cultural integrity is what is important, not race, imo

i dont care for Russians. they have lost their tribes after christianity. todays russians are part-Viking, etc.

The Han Chinese, NO WAY. They are the largest single pure ethnic group im the world. a few admixtures have diluted by now. .

all europeans are mxied and have lost their tribes, except the Samil people.

all whitemen are mixed today..

no wonder they are so evil in nature. angry tongue
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by ektbear: 1:14am On May 22, 2012
No, Han are not a pure ethnic group. Their different languages are not mutually intelligible (hence the switch to Mandarin as a national language), which is big indicator that they weren't one people.

China was conquered by the Mongols and the Manchu, and there is significant Mongol and Manchu admixture in their population.

The southern groups are also not pure and are mixtures of other peoples as well. If I remember correctly, those southerners were distinct peoples assimilated into the larger Han culture.

The only way to main 100% purity of an ethnic group is to:

a) never have fought in any wars
b) never interact with other peoples

Both (a) and (b) are pretty hard to do. Maybe there is some tribe in the middle of the pacific ocean somewhere which was mostly isolated from the rest of humanity and thus is 100% pure.

But for everyone else on earth..
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:42am On May 22, 2012
NO. i have heard of the few mixes between Han and Manchu. they are very few and concentrated towards the old capital of Manchukuo/Manchuria and Beijing.

The Southern Han speak Hakka Chinese but they are ethnically same and descended from the original Huang Ho Civilization.

Further South are other Chinese tribes who are not Han and keep to themselves. They are closely related to the Thai and Tibeto-/burman peoples.

the Mongols, a proud race, rarely mixed with ethnic Han and were soon expelled.

Most tribesmen today in the world (except many North American Natives) are Pure or near Pure, which is great since any small traces of admixture will slowly disappear in the future. .
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by odumchi: 1:42am On May 22, 2012
PointB: Nice one Odumchi,

I've voted. Now waiting for the official result. cool cool

I mari ama. You already know. cool
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by odumchi: 1:44am On May 22, 2012
More votes people!

Represent your peoples, states, LGAs, and senatorial districts. If you don't vote you can't complain when your area is not allocated enough funds! cheesy

Everything is going fine so far.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by Lisa1: 1:45am On May 22, 2012
The Igbo and Yoruba constitute 65% of nairaland.[img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by Nobody: 6:31am On May 22, 2012
Why are some southern minorities not voting or are they rigging for ibos ni ? angry
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by PhysicsQED(m): 7:14am On May 22, 2012
So many groups were left out that this survey is basically worthless. undecided
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by Onlytruth(m): 7:16am On May 22, 2012
Umu Igbo kwenu!
Anyi zuru ka eme! cool cool cool
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by treasuremi1(m): 7:22am On May 22, 2012
this is unimportant guys.wot do we stand to achieve from this kind of thread?
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by Nobody: 7:34am On May 22, 2012
PhysicsQED: So many groups were left out that this survey is basically worthless. undecided

It's not worthless beside bini is conspicuously present.the fact that we have over 200 ethnic groups in Nigeria doesnt mean all are represented on NL. tongue
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by slam7000(m): 7:42am On May 22, 2012
As im posting this,there are officially 896949 registered Nairalanders and less than 700 members have voted.its either the figure is false or there are lots of people with multiple ids.what is happening here?
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by ektbear: 7:44am On May 22, 2012
Eh.

If a group representing 0.1% of the population of Nigeria is left off, is the census worthless?

The current list probably represents north of 90% of Nigeria's population.

By no means worthless...perfect is the enemy of the good, as they say.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by PhysicsQED(m): 7:58am On May 22, 2012
It's not as if we don't already know to some extent (although not to extremely reliable accuracy) what the ethnic proportions are of Nigeria already but this survey reveals what particular groups are using the site - supposedly. For example we could conclude that Igbo and Yoruba probably use the site more than Hausa. But I didn't see Ogoni up there or Etsako yet those groups are larger than some of the ones that were listed. I have no doubt there are some other posters from other groups looking at the list and wondering where their groups are as well. How many those posters are, we won't know.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by ektbear: 8:05am On May 22, 2012
There is a simple way for such posters to fix this issue.

Just make a post in this thread.

In any case, if you already have 90% coverage of Nigeria's population, you probably aren't doing too badly..
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by ballabriggs: 8:14am On May 22, 2012
I smell Igbo people all over this thread. These people are inherently bigots. Can't we just send these people back to their Biafra if they don't want to live with anyone?
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by Afam4eva(m): 8:16am On May 22, 2012
This thread should be a sticky on the homepage so that more people can vote @ MODS
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by Nobody: 8:26am On May 22, 2012
I smell multiple IDs at work here
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by Nobody: 8:30am On May 22, 2012
PhysicsQED: It's not as if we don't already know to some extent (although not to extremely reliable accuracy) what the ethnic proportions are of Nigeria already but this survey reveals what particular groups are using the site - supposedly. For example we could conclude that Igbo and Yoruba probably use the site more than Hausa. But I didn't see Ogoni up there or Etsako yet those groups are larger than some of the ones that were listed. I have no doubt there are some other posters from other groups looking at the list and wondering where their groups are as well. How many those posters are, we won't know.

The simple truth is that every ethnic group cannot be represented not just because of the poll but for the fact that many are not even on NL.checkout the hausa/fulanis votes despite being a major ethnic group.I'm sure there are many other ethnic groups in the interior part of Nigeria that dont even know NL exists.btw,why are there no votes for bini and ijaw ?
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by melvournis(f): 8:40am On May 22, 2012
Bontee: Some people will still not vote in order to hide their ethnicity.
I very much agree with your point of view[img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by PhysicsQED(m): 8:47am On May 22, 2012
@Bluetooth, if you logout and look at the thread again you may be able to see the votes for the other sections. There are 32 votes for Bini and 20 for Ijaw.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by PointB: 8:48am On May 22, 2012
Another Okija:

Unfortunately, we cant account for some of my kinsmen that have been e-murdered in the ethnic cleansing and tribal e-genocide against my kinsmen.. We get benned in our nmbers everydsy at the slightest provocation.. How do you suppose this thread would achieve its purpose of factual representation of the diversity when the Igbos are being banned every second..

Maybe if the Mods should grant the banned Igbos amnesty and unban them in other for them to cast their votes, then maybe we may just have a chance of achieving the objective of this thread..

I now have to sugn out my every post with a farewell message because I do not know when the Ibo e-killers would kill my User I.d..

Unfortunately for them, Ndi Igbo don't die, we multiply...

What happened to your one Nigeria project? Has it been banned too? I laugh in fair Nigeria. grin grin grin grin
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by olyivy(f): 8:58am On May 22, 2012
PointB:
What happened to your one Nigeria project? Has it been banned too? I laugh in fair Nigeria. grin grin grin grin

I am beginning to believe that his anti biafra project does not necessarily support one nigeria project or rather, he is only being critical of the execution of the war and thats all.

Okija is going haywire these days even as a mini-tribalist myself, I cringe at some things he has to say atimes about other tribes. embarassed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Is Okorocha Becoming A Disappointment? / PDP Not Sure Of Its Allegation Against Garba , Aisha Buhari . Thisday / Presidency To Install Plagiarism Detection Software

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.