Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,489 members, 7,770,199 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 07:15 AM

Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know (60793 Views)

We Are Not Leaving Nigeria - Virgin Atlantic / 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria / Traveling To Nigeria: Things To Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Nobody: 10:16am On Jun 02, 2012
onyefin: Nice tread,
My own is don't chop aduro,
If you can get a black job, hang on with till you either get a study place or something strong to declare your self,
Do not give any one your kpali,
Trust no naija guy but follow them with sence cos na them know the rout pass for abroad.
Stay away from trouble and have in mind their system is to secured for any funny act
For instance they monitor your calls, see you on security camera anywere, avoid been in group of 9jer guys in public.but have in mind sey you go suffer for at least 2yrs before breakthrough go come your way
Note no ever try to change your name for any reason cos is better you suffer for only 2yrs than to live useless for the rest your stay in that country.
Talking from experience.

It is irrelevant to start naming anybody my friend. It is not a true saying that you cannot trust anyone in the foreign land, the fact still remain that the country men whom you meet do not understand your plight like a fellow Nigerian does. So if you choose to live the life of an island, it will be understood but not a reason to tell others not to trust their fellow country men abroad. Who you want really run things with? Who will be your best guide to a positive minded place of worship, where the favour of God and men is rampant? Who will be your best guide in getting a job that can suit your situation at the moment you find yourself? So please, we should stop placing treat in the mind of the ones who are yet to experience this opportunity simply because we find ourselves in a dare situation. Do you know of many Nigerians who has fallen victims to the indigenes they decide to trust instead of their fellow country men? Check the statistics, they are uncountable. These people believe you are a Nigerian, do you know what that means? You are from the oil rich country and thanks to the Northerners whose children are busy living large and spending irresponsibly in clubs, women, cars and irresponsible acts...
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Tropilo(m): 10:16am On Jun 02, 2012
tuniski: Pls oh I am to study Msc in LSBF uk and already has Bsc in finance and ACCA. What are my chances of a job to beef CV and reduce cost?

You stand a very good chance. If you have a Nigerian bachelor's its wiser to do your "post" here in Britain. The mistake many Nigerians make is flocking and flooding London cos of "life". There you get drowned in the crowd. There are other cities begging for professionals but are either not exploited or just plainly ignored.
(Last line)No matter what, please keep your family close cos you are part of it. If someone else's family are no good does not mean yours is or will be.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by member479760: 10:30am On Jun 02, 2012
ariyokunle: "Qualification"- especially in wat? "Skills"- such as? Pls explain,tanks.

auto mechanic - okay mekaniki, taxi driver, birikila, kapinta plus any english to explain yourself. mind you correct grammar not needed.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by pato405(m): 10:36am On Jun 02, 2012
it's really not easy here guys. cash is hard to come by. people are so conservative particularly in UK. every penny means a lot. but sincerely, 9ja is in quagmire, 9ja is so so disorganised. if only we can get 9ja organised and curb corruption, no Nigerian will waste time queuing for a Visa and even if they travel out, they'll be itching to get back. overall, I think apart from the exposure - the opportunity to see tech advancements at its best, organisation, social amenities and cultural diversity, there's nothing here. home's better. however, when one thinks of the disorganisation and security threats at home, you shudder with fear. you can't even trust the next person seated next to you in a commercial bus,you can't walk freely at 9t,you suspect everyone even when they mean no harm, you sleep with one eye closed, a mere tyre burst and people take to their heels e.t.c just gets one confused. to go back na wahala, to stay na wahala. undecided undecided undecided

4 Likes

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by chisunday(m): 11:07am On Jun 02, 2012
Akata na old expired ogbongidi,wey don rock life scatter,come dey look for young guy to marry,cos she no see husband marry due to her wreckless and risky lifesyle then grin
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by avicky(f): 11:29am On Jun 02, 2012
Roland17: [b]To be honest, based on my experience and many others here, i would say, Stay away from Nigerians here, especially those you think are Family here, its hard but its the truth, many times they are nothing but BIG trouble, there are many nice people around, including Akata and other nationals, be very open to interact and communicate with them, they would help you faster than even your own brothers that have been here for Donkey years..

If you are not hard working, patient and cant persevere, please just sit your Lazy behind back in Nigeria and don't bother wasting your flight ticket, because like they say " there is no free lunch in the US"

And when you get here to avoid distraction, Stay away from Facebook etc, Focus on improving yourself based on the skills and education you acquired before coming here.

Lastly, Records are very important, be very careful, because if get into the wrong side of the Law, it stays there for donkey years and affects everything you do for life.

God bless the OP[/b]
God bless you too. Thanks for d info.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Havilah93(m): 11:37am On Jun 02, 2012
nice topic. Really informative.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Nobody: 11:56am On Jun 02, 2012
(Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know.....Get a Dormiciliary account with GTB(or any other Good Bank)
..get an email alert for ur account...THAT'S ALL!!

1 Like

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by emmajew(m): 11:57am On Jun 02, 2012
Plus, those who go to other people's country intending to live on crime, should think twice. Imagine yourself on death row in a foreign land.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Sweetlemon(f): 12:06pm On Jun 02, 2012
I can see people are just consoling themselves here. Let me tell you something. If you go to a country like America or Canada armed with a clear vision of EXACTLY what you are going there to do, determination and focus, the sky will just be the starting point for you. You also need to do away with a lot of backward and unproductive Nigerian mentality some people have. Carriage and charisma are also important. This may sound funny but razzness will drag you behind o! My kid brother who went there last year has now bought a car for himself (something he wouldn't have dreamed of doing here in Nigeria) and sponsoring his own education.

4 Likes

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by crownx(m): 12:10pm On Jun 02, 2012
eduson33: Fellow Nigerians, I hail you!

This just ran across my mind. Abeg, anybody that has plans of leaving Nigeria and wishes not to roast and die hustling abroad, you have to know this:

1. Never give your passport to anyone even if the person is your mum. Don't agree. In fact, swallow it.
2. Don't give even your brother money to help you get stay or resident permit.
3. Acquire some skills or educational qualifications before leaving Nigeria.
4. Anyting you wanna do, think over it for four to five days and seek advice from 10 persons before you do it.
5. Don't send money to your brother or sister to invest for you here in Nigeria.
6. Don't start solving family problems immediately you get there. Even if your uncle dies, don't return if you know you're not yet standing firm.
7. Most important: Never forget GOD if you really want to make it.

Well Done!

All Well said!

No.2 Example. It officially cost about R500 (N10,000) to get a study permit in SA but omo naija charge you R6000 (N120,000) and the risk is that you could still get duped or immigration tells you your permit is fake.

No 3. Different countries has different opportunities one should research well about destinations and have a master plan to explore on your skills or profession before relocating.

No 5. Parents (your Dad n Mom) should be the best confidant if you must trust someone home

No 7. Even after you make it...serve God more.

Good advice by poster

1 Like

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by pato405(m): 12:20pm On Jun 02, 2012
Sweetlemon: I can see people are just consoling themselves here. Let me tell you something. If you go to a country like America or Canada armed with a clear vision of EXACTLY what you are going there to do, determination and focus, the sky will just be the starting point for you. You also need to do away with a lot of backward and unproductive Nigerian mentality some people have. Carriage and charisma are also important. This may sound funny but razzness will drag you behind o! My kid brother who went there last year has now bought a car for himself (something he wouldn't have dreamed of doing here in Nigeria) and sponsoring his own education.

is car an achievement? everyone knows cars are one of the cheapest tins abroad

3 Likes

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by efe22(m): 12:21pm On Jun 02, 2012
Mrkuvuki: (Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know.....Get a Dormiciliary account with GTB(or any other Good Bank)
..get an email alert for ur account...THAT'S ALL!!
Wise comment. To add to this, the best way to enjoy oversea is go there and buy fast selling goods back here in Nigeria than stay there and wasting years.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Toomaxi(m): 12:25pm On Jun 02, 2012
manny4life:

That's somewhat incorrect, it's recognized but it has to be evaluated. It might not be credit for credit, but it's something. Though I'm not familiar with Nigerian education system, however, most people have gotten their transcripts reevaluated here to meet transcript standard like the one here. The problem with people when they get here is not about the education part, but getting a job without papers. Without papers, you have to depend on your skills or you have to get the under-the-table jobs which isn't fun.

wht kind of skills ar u guys talkin abt here? Can some1 tell me e.gs of such skills one need to aquire
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by pato405(m): 12:31pm On Jun 02, 2012
efe22: Wise comment. To add to this, the best way to enjoy oversea is go there and buy fast selling goods back here in Nigeria than stay there and wasting years.

thread closed! that was spot on. you stole my thunder.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Nobody: 12:34pm On Jun 02, 2012
Nice thread. I am happy someone finally wrote this.

One important thing is that you should have an open mind and be hard working. Be wary of many nigerians here. They will get you into trouble faster than you can say "jack". Many of them have records ranging from misdemeanor to full blown criminal record. Fact! Also don't try to fake yankee accent or any such shizz. Mexicans, Chinese, Jamaicans, over here speak with their own accent and are proud of it so do the same.

Don't come over here and start trying to make good cash to send back home as soon as you arrive. The desperation to get wealth will land you in hot peppersoup and once you have a record (even as little as a DUI) it sticks to you like a plague and narrows your opportunity. Also remember that CCTVs are watching your every move at all times. Your apartment block even has one; so don't commit a crime and start begging say 'oga nor be me do am, na my twin brother'. cheesy

Also have a clear set goal of what you want to be. Don't try to solve financial problems in Nigeria of your family and relatives cos they will drain you the moment you send that first $100. Take care of yourself first and settle yourself first before any other person.

Also don't file for anyone who you don't know too well or any close pal. They might put you in trouble cos once USCIS is able to uncover any fraudlent activity in the person's record, next thing is the US Homeland Security is going to be on the petitioner's (you) case. They will begin to keep you under close scrutiny and even a misdemeanor can get your azz deported back to hellhole naija cheesy

Also obey their laws here. Leave Nigerian gra-gra behavior back in Nigeria. Be civil and pleasant to everyone you meet. Your big break may not come through a Nigerian but through another foriegn national.

Need I say more?

4 Likes

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by linkin8k(m): 12:36pm On Jun 02, 2012
ℓ̊ have gotten admission for an msc in UK but ℓ̊ have heard a lot of people who complete their programme and yet to get a job (after spending close to 5mil). ℓ̊ am considering Germany which is cheaper but two years.

My question is which would u advice me to go for? Is job opportunity better in Germany for foreigners than UK? Does a German Msc certificate have much recognition? Thanks
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by crownx(m): 12:43pm On Jun 02, 2012
Buc:
B like say your experience ugly?

@Buc, Smh.non-stop...u need a refined mentality. Not everyone that gives advices has bad experience. He posted this on good will either he has bad experience or not and I'm sure there are people learning from it. I know some people on Nl that have devotedly helped many naija by their posts it doesn't mean they've got similar problem. Vjustice, justwise n lots more...how has your life affected people positively? Stop mocking and shut d f.uck
Scientist says the universe is made up of protons, neutrons and electrons, they forgot to mention you...M.O.R.O.N
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Revolva(m): 12:54pm On Jun 02, 2012
@poster
Well that advise is good sha but no matter what am still gonna try and go to yankee whenever I want to if naija is good for you then stay if its not find ya way
Nigeria is a a shit hell hole ok I don't care what ever you say that happens abroad I still respect their system over here no constant light and govt are not ready to fix anything
If I had ma way even if na free ship for apapa wharf I ready to leave naija
Bleep you all that wanna discourage those of us wey never go ilu oyinbo before enemy of progress hahaha

@ileke edi mr tribalistic well I remember in ur village in ekiti state they send goats on errands hahaha

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by babeface3: 1:16pm On Jun 02, 2012
Few advice, for students studying abroad: You have an opportunity to break records especially if you had passed through reading-with-tear type of Nigerian education. My solemn advice is, study hard and quit clubbing and cruising around for pleasure. Though, you can do that at the appropriate time!

The system of education here is such that you can exploit with hard naija experience and make good grades that will throw you to unimaginable heights.

I have seen many Nigerian students, in order to belong to the teeny boppers, waste away their precious time and money; they want as quick as possible to become Europeans, spend so much on frivolities to impress who is not even watching them; believe me, there is still materialism among women here who will drag you to untimely bankruptcy.

All those things will come at the appropriate time if you refuse to be distracted. I talk from experience, its not easy though, but at the end, I dined with top professors from Europe and had option to choose between jobs.

8 Likes

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by pauloman(m): 1:33pm On Jun 02, 2012
[quote author=Ozonna]

Good question. Especially as our educational qualifications/credentials are not recognised outside our shores.[/quote

Nice post @ poster n gud question quothee. Make sure u at least get a gud degree b4 u leave the shores of this country as a bench mark for u to upgrade ur skills whereever u move to abroad as that will serve as a spring board for u to upgrade urself abroad
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by pauloman(m): 1:38pm On Jun 02, 2012
manny4life:

That's somewhat incorrect, it's recognized but it has to be evaluated. It might not be credit for credit, but it's something. Though I'm not familiar with Nigerian education system, however, most people have gotten their transcripts reevaluated here to meet transcript standard like the one here. The problem with people when they get here is not about the education part, but getting a job without papers. Without papers, you have to depend on your skills or you have to get the under-the-table jobs which isn't fun.

Expantiate on wat u mean by "without papers" please
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by bigcycs: 1:44pm On Jun 02, 2012
Interesting thread,most helpful!

Ok so i gained admission to study MSC petroleum engineering @ Heriot-watt Dubai.i actually studied Petroleum Engineering @ FUTO nigeria...and i graduated with a 2'1.am actually supposed to leave by september this year .so i wonder if there is any information,tips,advice etc about how 2 adapt 2 the life in abu dhabi.

What are my chances in dubai assuming i complete this program and will wanna get a job there.

I will really appreciate inputs from folks on here.

Thanks
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Nobody: 1:54pm On Jun 02, 2012
pauloman:

Without papers means "expired visa" or overstayed your visa. It can also mean when you have no immigration status e.g slipping into a country through it borders. It means when you have improper documentation
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Yeske2(m): 1:57pm On Jun 02, 2012
Still don't understand this craze for abroad, never thought of it and never will. Going on a visit is cool but not staying put, Naija rocks even with all it's shortcomings.

1 Like

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jun 02, 2012
Yeske!:
Still don't understand this craze for abroad, never thought of it and never will. Going on a visit is cool but not staying put, Naija rocks even with all it's shortcomings.

You should be one of the following:
1. Your father is a politician
2. You grew up in wealth
3. You or your father is a pastor
4. You work in an oil company maybe chevron hence the 'visit' part.
5. You have been eating out of the national cake.

Which is it? cheesy
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jun 02, 2012
victorazy: The most important; Don't promise any babe marriage before leaving Nig.

LOLOL. cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Callimo(m): 2:17pm On Jun 02, 2012
papatosibe:

I agree. No backpain, no SSI check grin

grin grin grin how U wan get ur garry b4. Mahn! u must tell stories now, abi u wan get am by.... grin grin grin
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by pauloman(m): 2:27pm On Jun 02, 2012
victorazy: The most important; Don't promise any babe marriage before leaving Nig.

Why would u posit a thing like that,lets here your reasons?
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jun 02, 2012
@Moderator you can edit the wrong statement and post it rather than hiding it entirely.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by manny4life(m): 3:39pm On Jun 02, 2012
pauloman:

pDude:

Without papers means "expired visa" or overstayed your visa. It can also mean when you have no immigration status e.g slipping into a country through it borders. It means when you have improper documentation

He has explained MOST of what I mean, however, in true sense, unless you're work sponsored to come here, it primarily means that you need some form of work documentation. For instance, according to the DHS, every employer must fill out a form I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification)to verify that you're authorized to work in the U.S. During this process is where you submit "required documentation" to your new employer which might include work visa, permits etc. So if you don't have any of these or you have expired visa et al, you're unlikely to get hired by your new employer. So when I say papers, in support to what he wrote, I mean no proper documentation to be eligible to work.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Ozuma Bridge In Okene Collapses A Week After Yahaya Bello Constructed It (photo) / Lagos At Night..captivating pictures of a city on the rise. / Man Cries Out As He Spots Anthony Truck With The Container On It About To Fall

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.