Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,766 members, 7,809,951 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:40 PM

Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? (44573 Views)

Who Killed Funmilayo Ransome-kuti (Fela's Mother)? / Picture Of Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti & Beko Ransome-Kuti / Funmilayo Ransome Kuti - Nigeria's Wonder Woman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Nobody: 6:45pm On May 31, 2012
bittyend: [img]http://i3.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/lens8867471_1262822980ruth-vining-on-1912_Fland[/img]

Her oyinbo friend riding her bike. shocked shocked

Is she ibo ?
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by bittyend(m): 6:47pm On May 31, 2012

[size=14pt]She kept it gangstar even when she was old. shocked I lufu her beli beli moshee. wink[/size]
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Dede1(m): 6:48pm On May 31, 2012
~Bluetooth:

The only thing that is killing you is that the said person happens to be a yoruba and nothing else to gain from your usual smooth talk.Was it also on record that oju-iku's father was the first millionaire in Nigeria ? shocked shocked

Of course, ojukwu's father could have been the first millionaire in Nigeria with discernable accomplishments along with tangible records.
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by bittyend(m): 6:51pm On May 31, 2012
www.nairaland.com/attachments/571610_570304_533317984_8daba3e130_b_jpg2c27c5f6023743eee29296a5aa94bc51_jpg19891ffbb2f590a7ba294205b8e53de3

[size=14pt]Ibotic car in 1970 looking like a steam train of the 1700s.. Muhhehehehehehehehehehhehehehehe[/size]
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Nobody: 6:52pm On May 31, 2012
Dede1:

Of course, ojukwu's father could have been the first millionaire in Nigeria with discernable accomplishments along with tangible records.

See your life . . .was he the only man that had discernable accomplishment during his time ? Was there any forbes-like record that assessed and proclaimed him as the first millionaire ?
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Nobody: 6:55pm On May 31, 2012
bittyend: www.nairaland.com/attachments/571610_570304_533317984_8daba3e130_b_jpg2c27c5f6023743eee29296a5aa94bc51_jpg19891ffbb2f590a7ba294205b8e53de3

[size=14pt]Ibotic car in 1970 looking like a steam train of the 1700s.. Muhhehehehehehehehehehhehehehehe[/size]

You are sickkkkk grin . .we are talking of cars not jalopy. Lmao @ ibotic car cheesy cheesy
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by babyboy3(m): 6:59pm On May 31, 2012
stupor:

AS CHIOMA AJUNWA TOOK THE FIRST FEMALE AND OLYMPIC NIGERIAN GOLD DESPITE THE FACT THAT WE HAD OUR FOOTBALL TEAM WHO WON GOLD TOO !
THANKS FOR SHARING.

Does it also occur to you she was first one to fail a drug test
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by dayokanu(m): 6:59pm On May 31, 2012
I think some people are just born reetarded

Imagine saying someone in a village might have had a car in that time?

Question how would the car get to the so called village? Where would they drive the car in that so called village on trees or rivers?

Where would they get fuel for the car in the village or are they going to use firewood to propel the car?

BTW, Dende and Onlytruth are the greatest M0r0ns to have been born east of River Niger

2 Likes

Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Nobody: 7:00pm On May 31, 2012
queensmith:

Erm, how does she represent every woman in Nigeria considering they were bastardly rich??

She drove a car for Christ sake she didn't launch a rocket into space, how about the first female palmwine tapper?? That will have been different!! Gimme those fun facts!

Please we are just glorifying nonsense and the nonsense individuals.

First woman to drive a car you know the more I hear it the more ridiculous it sounds.

I think you need to find out more about Mrs Kuti, being the first woman is insignificant to other monumental feats she achieved, she successfully got a crowned monarch exiled and wiped the floor with a white district officer along the way too for their horrible taxation of women (one of her many achievements). Agree to disagree if it's insignificant to you.
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Dede1(m): 7:02pm On May 31, 2012
~Bluetooth:

See your life . . .was he the only man that had discernable accomplishment during his time ? Was there any forbes-like record that assessed and proclaimed him as the first millionaire ?

Do you think I give a ratarse about Forbes-like record?
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Nobody: 7:05pm On May 31, 2012
baby-boy:

Does it also occur to you she was first one to fail a drug test

chioma Ajunwa - first Nigeria athlete arrested for drugs. grin what an achievement ! shocked
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by xwolverine: 7:06pm On May 31, 2012
On March 13, 1934, the Reverend Ransome-Kuti's mother died, which
had a profound efifect on him. He wrote to his friend Solanke that it
“night well paralysed me” and subsequently spent a short while in a small
“vacation” bungalow the couple had bought not far from Abeokuta.”
Just eight months before, the reverend's younger brother, joshua Ola-
remi had committed suicide.”

Between March 1935 and July 1936, the Ransome-Kutis carried on a
running correspondence with Solanke about two cars; they had sent him
money to purchase the vehicles in England and to have them delivered
to Nigeria. The reverend had been riding a motorised bike and FRK
had sometimes ridden a bicycle, a practice she had begun in England."
The reverend had a moderately serious accident on his motorbike, and
apparently after that the couple decided to buy a car." In fact, FRK be-
came the first woman to drive a car in Abeokuta.”

The cars were shipped separately; the second arrived as a replacement
of the first, which never ran properly. Given the couple's limited means,
they were forced to purchase used cars. Both the Ransome-Kutis, how-
ever, were scandalized by the condition of the cars sent them
and felt that he had been careless, not choosing the cars well. Probably
he bought the best he could for what they could afford.

FRK apparently read a lot about cars, at one point cautioning Solanke
about the second. replacement car: “Before the car is sent please see that
the following are good: the brakes, the plugs, the clutch, the gear . . . and
that the battery is practically new. I had never had anything to do with
cars in my life and you can see that this car has taught me a lot about
cars.” “ She was also concerned about the availability of spare parts, even
if they had to be shipped from England. At another point, she excoriated
Solanke. saying a mechanic in Nigeria had labeled the car “fifth hand"
and adding, “Cursed was the day on which we cabled you money for a
car!"" In separate letters, both Ransome-Kutis demanded their money
back for the car. It is not clear whether Solanke refunded the money but
the friendship certainly survived the crisis and the couple maintained
their close relations with him.

In 1935, FRK had another child, a son, born in Sacred Heart Hospital
in Abeokuta, who died two weeks after his birth.“ In October 1936, she
had a miscarriage in her sixth month of pregnancy. The child, a daughter,
lived for two days. The Reverend Ransome-Kuti was very concerned for
Funmilayo’s health after the miscarriage and was much relieved when
she seemed completely recovered. He maintained a vigil by her bed-
side and afterward wrote his friend Solanke about the experience." Two
more children. both sons, were born to the Ransome-Kutis in the Gen-
eral Hospital in Abeokuta: Olufela in 1938 and Beltolari in 1940.

- Source
For Women and the Nation: Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti of Nigeria
By Cheryl Johnson-Odim, Nina Emma Mba

1 Like

Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by dayokanu(m): 7:06pm On May 31, 2012
Dede1:

Shouldnt you give a ratarse about the missiles that come out of your mouth

Or your decaying grey matter?
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Nobody: 7:08pm On May 31, 2012
Dede1:

How did we you now know that senior ike-eba is the first millionaire in Nigeria ? I challenge you to list his worth for us to know !
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Sweetdbest: 7:08pm On May 31, 2012
the woman was rich
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Nobody: 7:08pm On May 31, 2012
Dede1:

Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by bittyend(m): 7:09pm On May 31, 2012

[size=14pt]Ibotic women in 1920[/size] sad

[size=14pt]I still love my igbo women, they're my omalicha nma.. Ifunnaya gi. kiss[/size]
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Dede1(m): 7:10pm On May 31, 2012
dayokanu: I think some people are just born reetarded

Imagine saying someone in a village might have had a car in that time?

Question how would the car get to the so called village? Where would they drive the car in that so called village on trees or rivers?

Where would they get fuel for the car in the village or are they going to use firewood to propel the car?

BTW, Dende and Onlytruth are the greatest M0r0ns to have been born east of River Niger

Dayolodo:

You are a born fool to remotely insinuate you hold any form of monopoly on historical facts. If I had not travelled to Abeokuta in the late 80s, the one-road dusty and dirty town where the alleged first test-drive took place, I would have given your childish drivel a second look.
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by babyboy3(m): 7:15pm On May 31, 2012
~Bluetooth:

chioma Ajunwa - first Nigeria athlete arrested for drugs. grin what an achievement ! shocked

Naaah She failed a drug test!! meaning she wanted to cheat that's why she didn't make the Barcelona 92 team
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by bittyend(m): 7:15pm On May 31, 2012
[img]http://eccentricyoruba.files./2010/07/hair.jpg[/img]

[size=14pt]Yoruba woman in 1880.[/size] shocked
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by alienvirus: 7:21pm On May 31, 2012
Dede1:

You are one imbecilic gull. Even a noted praise singer such as you could not offer the date Mrs. funmilayo ransome kuti drove the car, the motorcycle or the model of car and motorcycle. Was the car she drove a morris minor, vauxhall, VW beatle, humber, zepher, opel reckord or midget? Was the motorcycle she rode a triumph, motoguzzi, mobilate, Norton or Indian?

The car was Canopy and the motorcycle was Kaspersky. Ode!
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by otokx(m): 7:21pm On May 31, 2012
I wanted to think about this topic but decided to look at the poster and then i knew where all this was leading to?

1 Like

Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Nobody: 7:23pm On May 31, 2012
otokx: I wanted to think about this topic but decided to look at the poster and then i knew where all this was leading to?

Exactly! The poster is an imb3cile and a mothafvcker ...literally.

1 Like

Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by dayokanu(m): 7:32pm On May 31, 2012
Dede1:

Dayolodo:

You are a born fool to remotely insinuate you hold any form of monopoly on historical facts. If I had not travelled to Abeokuta in the late 80s, the one-road dusty and dirty town where the alleged first test-drive took place, I would have given your childish drivel a second look.

Dendemoron

Kindly explain to us how the said car got to the village, On which road the car was driven in the village and what fuel was the car using in the village

Use your Arochukwu village in 1915 as example
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Nobody: 7:34pm On May 31, 2012
@Afam4eva

Why do you like creating ethnocentric threads?? D

1 Like

Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Nobody: 7:34pm On May 31, 2012
queensmith: I think its a very odd thing to make a legacy of.
Odd indeed. This is the first time I agree with you. Our education system is fccked in this country(even our values are dung). Imagine someon getting paid to 'teach' me this?!? This woman laid her life on the line for the progress of Nigeria, she's in the same league as her male contemporaries, but do we hear that? No! We hear that she drove a car first WTF?!? It took a Fela song to 'teach' me what her real contributions to Nigeria are. He called her the 'only' mother of Nigeria, and she fought for the right of women to vote(not this rubbish sing-song about first to drive motor).
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Nobody: 7:38pm On May 31, 2012
fresh_dude: Odd indeed. This is the first time I agree with you. Our education system is fccked in this country(even our values are dung). Imagine someon getting paid to 'teach' me this?!? This woman laid her life on the line for the progress of Nigeria, she's in the same league as her male contemporaries, but do we hear that? No! We hear that she drove a car first WTF?!? It took a Fela song to 'teach' me what her real contributions to Nigeria are. He called her the 'only' mother of Nigeria, and she fought for the right of women to vote(not this rubbish sing-song about first to drive motor).

Another fool.. She drove a car when your grandma was running naked in the forest.. Egba women set the trends you guys follow like lackeys...

She drove a car and your grandma drove a foot-wagen, that's the big deal.
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by coogar: 7:39pm On May 31, 2012
Dede1:
I do not blame you because of the silly country called Nigeria. You simply can not feign lack of knowledge when you make statement of fact. What is official about a claim that has no date? If she was the first woman to drive a car, the date and model of the car she drove must go along with the alleged record. By the way around 1920, Mrs. funmilayo ransome kuti was still a pupil of Abeokuta Grammar School.

you are a troglodyte.
mrs funmilayo ransome-kuti was in england between 1919 and 1922 to further her studies.
she was born in 1900.

i am sick n tired of you igbo bigots trying to rewrite history. the other time,
it was you and the other sapheads trying to rewrite history that lagos state belongs to the igbo.
don't you faggotz get tired?

i know that i should rise above your tomfoolery, and i often do, but there is something about this particular
comment that really gets under my skin. i therefore hope that i speak for all yoruba people when i ask you,
with all due respect, to fuck off.

3 Likes

Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by otokx(m): 7:40pm On May 31, 2012
The moderators are supposed to lock up threads like this
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Sijo01(f): 7:55pm On May 31, 2012
Alumnus: Some of these claims are highly debateable, how can someone claim that the first to speak a foreign language is an OBA of Benin? What of those Hausas that were in contact with the Arabs before Nigeria was formed, were they not speaking Arabic? Some of these things could be like the case of crediting an invention to the person that first collects the Patent Right.

Take it or live it.
Oba Esigie was d first 2speak foreign (Portuguese)language in Nigeria, dat was in 1503.

Being dat d portuguese was d first european to visit nigeria n deir first point of call was Benin kingdom.
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by ideylaff: 7:59pm On May 31, 2012
Mrs. Olufunmilayo Ransome Kuti, strong woman of all, we thank you for your contribution to Nigeria and shame on those that try to belittle your good works
GBAM.

Continue to Rest In The Lords Bossom

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Obasanjo Faces Investigation 24 Hours After Jonathan’s Reply / Onitsha Erosion: Governor Obiano Visits Site For The Second Time(photos ) / Opunimi Akinkugbe: Buhari Gives Ondo Ambassador Slot To Rivers Indigene

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.