Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,835 members, 7,820,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:41 AM

Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? (44706 Views)

Who Killed Funmilayo Ransome-kuti (Fela's Mother)? / Picture Of Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti & Beko Ransome-Kuti / Funmilayo Ransome Kuti - Nigeria's Wonder Woman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Dagods(m): 8:01pm On May 31, 2012
@afam wat r u tryin 2 dig out,y r u after dis info,if u want 2 dig deep visit d african shrine.CHIKENA.
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by BusHouse(m): 8:06pm On May 31, 2012
afam4eva:
I think one of the reasons why Fumilayo Kuti is credited with this title is because she was in the public eye at that time. I'm not sure though.
To the best of my knowledge, She is not the first to drive a car in nigeria but the first to be liecenced as a driver, so that makes her the first driver legally, Others before her were driving illegaly.

2 Likes

Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Sijo01(f): 8:09pm On May 31, 2012
ezotik: oba esigie was not a nigerian.

dnt kno wat to say to u.
Do u mind leting d world kno were he's frm?
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by ANTITRIBALISM(m): 8:09pm On May 31, 2012
No Tribalism, Delete Tribalism, Against Tribalism, Wipe Tribalism, Avoid Tribalism, Hate Tribalism, Erase Tribalism, Ignore Tribalism, Flush Tribalism, Reject Tribalism, Resist Tribalism, Sweep Tribalism, Terminate Tribalism, Condemn Tribalism, Kick Tribalism, Oppose Tribalism, Fight Tribalism, Kill Tribalism and Bury Tribalism.

2 Likes

Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Olalekan0(m): 8:15pm On May 31, 2012
alj harem:

quite possible not to be biased I can not rule out that,,but in reality how many men had cars back then ? in 1982 ?
If 1982 was the year Funmılayo Ransome Kutı drove a car,then my mom drover a car before her!
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Nobody: 8:15pm On May 31, 2012
lagcity: I get the OP's point. But as long as nobody else from the "village" comes forward with facts, Funmi Kuti remains the first. Shikena!

Oh BTW, Mungo Park didn't discover sh1t!
Wa sere. Fela's peops in the building.
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by PhysicsQED(m): 8:16pm On May 31, 2012
Sijo01:
Take it or live it.
Oba Esigie was d first 2speak foreign (Portuguese)language in Nigeria, dat was in 1503.

Being dat d portuguese was d first european to visit nigeria n deir first point of call was Benin kingdom.

The claim is probably incorrect, but there's no easy way to disprove it so that's probably why it has been repeated. I suspect that the ancestors of some of the Songhai people in Nigeria might have been familiar with Arabic prior to the 1500s, but there's no direct evidence for that.

Anyway, lol @ this topic.
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by PhysicsQED(m): 8:22pm On May 31, 2012
ezotik: oba esigie was not a nigerian.

True. Nigerian is a nationality that didn't exist until half a century ago.
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Dede1(m): 8:29pm On May 31, 2012
coogar:

you are a troglodyte.
mrs funmilayo ransome-kuti was in england between 1919 and 1922 to further her studies.
she was born in 1900.

i am sick n tired of you igbo bigots trying to rewrite history. the other time,
it was you and the other sapheads trying to rewrite history that lagos state belongs to the igbo.
don't you faggotz get tired?

i know that i should rise above your tomfoolery, and i often do, but there is something about this particular
comment that really gets under my skin. i therefore hope that i speak for all yoruba people when i ask you,
with all due respect, to fuc[i]k[/i] off.

Nigeria is indeed a wasteland. Can someone tell this jackass to read a believable history of the lady named Mrs. funmilayo ransome kuti before spewing crap on behalf of her? You can not even handle the simple arithmetic from the date she was born to the time she graduated from high school.
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by coolest00: 8:29pm On May 31, 2012
great
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by nolongtin(m): 8:37pm On May 31, 2012
Funmilayo Ransome Kuti

(25 October 1900 Abeokuta, Nigeria - 13 April 1978 Lagos, Nigeria), born Francis Abigail Olufunmilayo Thomas to Daniel Olumeyuwa Thomas and Lucretia Phyllis Omoyeni Adeosolu. She was a teacher, political campaigner, and women's rights activist. Ransome-Kuti's political activism led to her being described as the doyen of female rights in Nigeria and was regarded as “The Mother of Africa.” Early on she was a very powerful force advocating for women's right to vote. She was described in 1947, by the West African Pilot as the “Lioness of Lisabi” for her leadership of Egba women on a campaign against arbitrary taxation of women. That struggle led to the abdication of the Egba King Oba Ademola II in 1949.

[1] First Nigerian woman to drive a car
[2] First Nigerian woman to ride a motorcycle
[3] Co-founder of the Nigerian Union of Students
[4] Co-founder of the Nigerian Union of Teachers
[5] Founded the largest African women's organisation ever with 20,000 members
[6] As the leader of Egba women lead a campaign against arbitrary taxation of women, that led to the abdication of the Egba king Oba Ademola II in 1949
[7] Was Nigeria's first ever representative at a women's international conference in the USSR in 1963
[8] She ran the junior section of Abeokuta Grammar School
[9] Led a concerted campaign to ensure that girls went to school
[10] Brought through a whole hos of Abeokuta kids, including her nephew Wole Soyinka. It is no accident that Abeokuta has produced the greatest number of Yoruba.
leaders to date.
Do you know that prior to Nigeria's independence, Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti was one of the most widely travelled Nigerian ever?
11. Unlike most of our people who had only ever been to the UK and the US, she had actually been to China and Russia too
[13] She actually met with Mao Tse Tung in 1956
[14] After that, the British refused to renew her passport because it was said "It can be assumed that it is her intention to influence women with communist ideas and policies."
[15] She was also refused visa into the US because the American Government alleged she was a communist
[16] Prior to independence she founded the Commoners Peoples Party challenging the ruling NCNC, denying them victory in her area. She got 4,665 votes to NCNC's 9,755 thus allowing the opposition, Action Group 10,443 votes to win
[17] She was actually denied an NCNC ticket because she was deemed as too radical. Shame on the NCNC or she would have been our first federal female MP.

lifted from...https://www.nairaland.com/564754/funmilayo-ransome-kuti-nigerias-wonder

[8] She was one of the delegates that negotiated Nigerian independence with the British government in 1957/58
[9] In 1953, she founded the Federation of Nigerian Women Societies which formed an alliance with the Women's International Democratic Federation
[10] While in the NCNC, she was the treasurer and then president of the Western NCNC women's Association
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by owobokiri(m): 8:39pm On May 31, 2012
BusHouse: To the best of my knowledge, She is not the first to drive a car in nigeria but the first to be liecenced as a driver, so that makes her the first driver legally, Others before her were driving illegaly.

They have been riding horses legally and ilegally since Adam. , makes you wonder what will happen in this country if ladies are required 'to be licenced' before 'mounting a horse' .
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by coogar: 8:41pm On May 31, 2012
Dede1:
Nigeria is indeed a wasteland. Can someone tell this jackass to read a believable history of the lady named Mrs. funmilayo ransome kuti before spewing crap on behalf of her? You can not even handle the simple arithmetic from the date she was born to the time she graduated from high school.

you are a consummate r[i]e[/i]tard!
if there's any justice in the world, you should be peeling potatoes
in your village. civilization has had a side effect on your psyche...
now some education for you knucklehead.

Funmilayo Anikulapo-Kuti, 1900–1978), a Nigerian anticolonial activist and nationalist, and an international organizer for women's and poor people's rights. Ransome-Kuti was born in Abeokuta (in southwestern Nigeria) to Yoruba parents (one of the largest ethnic groups in Nigeria). She was among the first group of girls to attend the Abeokuta Grammar School and later studied in England (1919–1922). Inside Nigeria, her work began with education. She organized literacy classes for women in the 1920s and founded a nursery school in the 1930s. She later organized women in Abeokuta, ultimately under the banner of the Abeokuta Women's Union, to fight against the arbitrary exercise of colonial power by the British-supported puppet king, against the imposition of taxes on women without the right to vote, and against the attempt of the British to control markets run by women. Through a series of marches of tens of thousands of women, refusal to pay taxes, strikes, and other means, the Abeokuta Women's Union forced the king to abdicate his throne, and women obtained representation in the Sole Native Authority (a committee granted some say in colonial administration).
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Sijo01(f): 8:43pm On May 31, 2012
PhysicsQED:

The claim is probably incorrect, but there's no easy way to disprove it so that's probably why it has been repeated. I suspect that the ancestors of some of the Songhai people in Nigeria might have been familiar with Arabic prior to the 1500s, but there's no direct evidence for that.

Anyway, lol @ this topic.

weda corrct or incorrct, history is mnt 2b respctd n nt d oda way round.
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Nobody: 8:44pm On May 31, 2012
kindabigg:

Another fool.. She drove a car when your grandma was running naked in the forest.. Egba women set the trends you guys follow like lackeys...

She drove a car and your grandma drove a foot-wagen, that's the big deal.
Dear Sir/Ma, let me say first of all that I am yoruba and love FRK deeply for her role in Nigerian history(especially birthing and raising Fela). Furthermore, I have no problem whatsoever with her 'legacy' of car-driving on the contrary I am proud that she it was. Having said this, I am of the opinion that she would be more respected, honoured and valued in this country(and out) if her more worthy accomplishments were revisited, announced and proclaimed. This of course takes nothing from her car-driving 'achievement'. Therefore Dear Sir/Ma, I think an apology to my e-person is in order and demand it without reservation. Thank you.

PS: Don't include my family(least of all grandparents) in your arguments. Se won ko ko e ni ile ni?
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Afam4eva(m): 8:57pm On May 31, 2012
kindabigg: @Afam4eva

Why do you like creating ethnocentric threads?? Dickhead, all you ever do is challenge everything that isn't igbo?

WTF is wrong with you? And this fool lives in Lagos, and a part of Lagos that used to be Egba land.. Go to Abeokuta and ask them this dumb question, fool.
Can you provide links to the ethnocentric threads that I created? So, asking a honest question is now tribal abi simply because the woman is Yoruba. I guess I should not about Yorunba people so that I won't be called a tribalist. SMH
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by dayokanu(m): 9:01pm On May 31, 2012
Olalekan 0: If 1982 was the year Funmılayo Ransome Kutı drove a car,then my mom drover a car before her!

As at 1982, Mrs Funmilayo Kuti has been dead for about 4yrs
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by KDULAR: 9:07pm On May 31, 2012
^^^. Correct, there are more important achievements accredited to this woman as mentioned other than being the first to drive a car needless to say that that is also a big feat considering the period when few cars are available. However, it is ridiculous and sheer rascality on the part of some to say that there were other who drove before her without any proof . Why say something you cannot substantiate ? You do more harm to your existence by bringing others down or being puerile and mischievous. Driving a car is different from moving it, and I don't blame such ignorance because most people don't know the difference.
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by IYANGBALI: 9:16pm On May 31, 2012
haters stfu OLUWAFUNMILAYO RANSOME KUTI IYA FELA TI GBA YI NA,SHE REMAINS THE FIRST OTHERS CAN NOW FOLLOW
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by oduasolja: 9:30pm On May 31, 2012
if she was igbo , i bet you wouldnt be asking this question.

u dumb igbos always trying to prove you are superior, and think you can win by putting other peoples down. thats why people despise u . thats why minorities didnt support biafra , cus they know yall were all selfish and all about urself.

always talking trash about other people.

well i do wish biafra had been succesful.

at least we would have gotten rid of you lot. let the minorities deal with u.

3 Likes

Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by aphamefuna(m): 10:30pm On May 31, 2012
[b][/b]she was Τ̲̅ђe first woman ƮƠ̴̴͡ driver a car,I believe that,becos then cars where not much and very expensive and she was Τ̲̅ђe first woman ƮƠ̴̴͡ βε̲̣̣̣̥ issued a driver's licence by Τ̲̅ђe relevant authorities..and it was documented.
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Oyawuni(m): 10:49pm On May 31, 2012
my great grand mum was d first woman to drive a car
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Carlmax(m): 10:51pm On May 31, 2012
I guess she was the 1st woman to be issued a driver's License...
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by notformealone: 11:05pm On May 31, 2012
Sky-walker:
were cars not very few back then?
GUY U DEY REASON WELL NICE REPLY
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by ikee(m): 11:26pm On May 31, 2012
Well that's what history says. Even those that recorded it are dead long ago, And record are Being Broken everyday.so Let it be!
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by emiye(m): 11:34pm On May 31, 2012
The first woman to buy a car was "Efunroye Tinubu", but the first woman to drive a car was "Funmilayo kuti".

Funmilayo kuti died in the year 1978 at the age of 78 years.

1 Like

Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Afam4eva(m): 4:37am On Jun 01, 2012
BusHouse: To the best of my knowledge, She is not the first to drive a car in nigeria but the first to be liecenced as a driver, so that makes her the first driver legally, Others before her were driving illegaly.
This makes more sense.

1 Like

Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by dasparrow: 4:53am On Jun 01, 2012
afam4eva: Whoever gave this woman that title couldn't have been right you know. How did they know that someone did not drive a car before her and was not captured. I can understand that of the first woman to fly a plane because planes were very few in the country at that time and people would definitely notice if one flew a plane. Especially if it's a woman.

http://nnn.com.ng/?page_id=315

[img]http://3.bp..com/_bDcpR_wJ7hk/S4KoJutYtaI/AAAAAAAADJA/a5bZAoF8IjE/s400/funmilayo+kuti2.jpg[/img]

If several reports and resources say that she is the first Nigerian woman to drive a car, then I guess she was the first Nigerian woman to drive a car. Why are some people making a big deal out of this? I don't get it. There are more pressing issues facing Nigerians and Nigeria right now. Let's focus on those issues.
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Johnny(m): 7:08am On Jun 01, 2012
Recently,I went through most of the little little books we read then in primary and secondary schools and discovered that they were mostly authored by Yorubas......They could have forced that trash down our throat!!
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Abbey2sam(m): 7:38am On Jun 01, 2012
afam4eva:
There were few cars then but don't you think that in one remote village or town, a woman could have driven a car even if she was been thought how to drive.
you are a very big fool." in one remote village" one village woman could have driven a car as @ the..how does that soun to your ears....you dont get to see a car in thise days.
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Afam4eva(m): 7:56am On Jun 01, 2012
Abbey2sam: you are a very big fool." in one remote village" one village woman could have driven a car as @ the..how does that soun to your ears....you dont get to see a car in thise days.
"1diot" is your middle name. Can't someone drive a car to a village? I really don't know what kind of village you come from but my village has had for decades a link road to the cities. So, let your brain do the working before your mouth intercepts. Doofus.
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Nobody: 7:57am On Jun 01, 2012
afam4eva:
1diot is your middle name. Can't someone drive a car to a village? I really don't know what kind of village you come from but my village has had for decades a link road to the cities. So, let your brain do the working before your mouth intercepts. Doofus.

Back then, how many cars did you see in your village?
Your grandparents were still digging lice out of each others' hair while Funmilayo was setting record.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Erhiatake Ibori Booed At Ibru's Burial For Fumbling Over Common Words / Okonjo-Award: Yale University Responds To Withdraw Call / Umar Bago Supports Buhari's Re-Election With 100 Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.