Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,377 members, 7,815,801 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:39 PM

"Member Following" Replaces "Friending" On Nairaland - Nairaland / General (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / "Member Following" Replaces "Friending" On Nairaland (10510 Views)

Why Do You Follow The Nairalander(s) You Are Following? / Topic-Based [Following] & New Topic Bugfix (New Nairaland Update) / Board Following & Member Following: New Nairaland Features (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Member Following" Replaces "Friending" On Nairaland by Ibime(m): 8:02am On Jun 01, 2012
Seun:
When was the last time you got such an email? New Nairaland doesn't send such mails. Please stop reacting to imaginary problems, sir.

These problems are not imaginary sir. cool Na this kain thing I dey talk.

We would just like to know that following members will not generate the same emails as following topics

Re: "Member Following" Replaces "Friending" On Nairaland by Nobody: 8:11am On Jun 01, 2012
Seun..... Throw us a NL party jareh..
As sum1 rightly said....
Make we chop 'our' money.

1 Like

Re: "Member Following" Replaces "Friending" On Nairaland by Sike(m): 8:18am On Jun 01, 2012
Great
Re: "Member Following" Replaces "Friending" On Nairaland by Afam4eva(m): 8:36am On Jun 01, 2012
@Seun
Another feature I want you to consider is the introduction of a "reputation system" that gives a certain clout of people more privileges. This can be calculated using variables like "date of joining nairaland", "number of posts", "number of followers" etc.

1 Like

Re: "Member Following" Replaces "Friending" On Nairaland by killuminati(m): 8:36am On Jun 01, 2012
This is more like twittergrin, now follow me @killuminatigrin
Re: "Member Following" Replaces "Friending" On Nairaland by killuminati(m): 8:37am On Jun 01, 2012
This is more like twittergrin, now follow me @killuminatigrin
Re: "Member Following" Replaces "Friending" On Nairaland by corkpikin(m): 8:38am On Jun 01, 2012
See Air don Blow Hen Yansh don Open.. See all the girls for NL ey dey follow follow.. buah ah ah
Re: "Member Following" Replaces "Friending" On Nairaland by oayombo: 8:53am On Jun 01, 2012
I have absolutely no problem with the 'following' thingy but a situation where someone follows me and had access to sending me email without my approval is not so cool. C'mon, i can follow anyone on twitter but i can't send them a direct message unless they follow back. Take a cure from that pls
Re: "Member Following" Replaces "Friending" On Nairaland by Loskee(f): 8:57am On Jun 01, 2012
i just have one [or two] questions for SEUN...

first, if i follow back a follower of mine, does that mean he/she can have access to my email address?
secondly, how do i use the anonymous email feature? i ask this because PMs sent to me just show a notification on my NL homepage and tell me to read the PM from my email address. when i do this and have to reply the email, i do that with my own email address and the person automatically knows my email address. now how do i reply without breaching the anonymity clause?

thanks.

oh yeah, and some other thing!
-can we have the chat feature too? akin to yahoo chat or facebook chatting?
Re: "Member Following" Replaces "Friending" On Nairaland by jamace(m): 9:06am On Jun 01, 2012
Interesting. cool
Re: "Member Following" Replaces "Friending" On Nairaland by puplin(f): 9:10am On Jun 01, 2012
Privacy Policy
We take your privacy seriously. This privacy policy describes what personal information we collect and how we use it on the following websites: Nairaland (nairaland.com), Nairalist (nairalist.com), and Mobile Nigeria Forum (mobilenigeria.com), all of which are owned by..........

If you indeed took/take our privacy seriously, then you shouldn't grant another member access to send personal emails without approval. You can create an inbox where such mails go to. Secondly, with the way this restructuring is heading, u should also create a 'close account' tab....#myopinion

1 Like

Re: "Member Following" Replaces "Friending" On Nairaland by Beaf: 9:11am On Jun 01, 2012
@Seun
It would make more sense to list a users followers as well as those the user is following. That would give a more complete perspective when a users profile is visited.
Re: "Member Following" Replaces "Friending" On Nairaland by mygee33(m): 9:27am On Jun 01, 2012
Very innovative!!!
Re: "Member Following" Replaces "Friending" On Nairaland by SkySpirit(m): 9:46am On Jun 01, 2012
I wonder when u would stop running out of your silly ideas. Yes change is good but not every change is necessary, only positve change is welcomed. NL is not facebook or twitter, it is a distinct & unique site that gives its patrons an avenue to voice out their views on any matter. I am sure that the level of patronage must have dropped since you commenced these changes; although I quite admit that some of them were realy good & necessary, but what I dont like is trying to make NL look like other funny/boring sites like naijapals etc....
Re: "Member Following" Replaces "Friending" On Nairaland by yamakuza: 9:59am On Jun 01, 2012
puplin: Privacy Policy
We take your privacy seriously. This privacy policy describes what personal information we collect and how we use it on the following websites: Nairaland (nairaland.com), Nairalist (nairalist.com), and Mobile Nigeria Forum (mobilenigeria.com), all of which are owned by..........

If you indeed took/take our privacy seriously, then you shouldn't grant another member access to send personal emails without approval. You can create an inbox where such mails go to. Secondly, with the way this restructuring is heading, u should also create a 'close account' tab....#myopinion

1. "Nobody" has access to anyone's emails

2. Only those you follow can email you directly. Your choosing to follow them gives them this access

3. If/When they email you, they still wont know your email unless you reply them

4. Those that follow you cannot email you directly. When they try, a notice is sent to you asking you to initiate contact

1 Like

Re: "Member Following" Replaces "Friending" On Nairaland by Seun(m): 10:01am On Jun 01, 2012
aieromon: My friends have been delisted.I have to start thinking about following them and expecting them to reciprocate in return.I hope it works out well for the forum.
Not all of them - just those who are more popular than you. You're following them, but they are not following you, because we can't be sure that the relationship is really two-way. Some popular members added a lot of friends that they didn't really know. However, you can still e-mail your old friends if you want to.

Missy_B: Is it possible for us to receive messages on NL rather than in our mail boxes; i.e the way it used to function on the old NL?
It's a wonder this unnecessary change hasn't been done away with uptill now.
New Nairaland doesn't have that feature yet. I believe the e-mail approach is more pragmatic. E-mail is for messaging!

1 Like

Re: "Member Following" Replaces "Friending" On Nairaland by Ucheosefoh(m): 10:07am On Jun 01, 2012
freecocoa: Seun i got a message telling me that someone on NL wants to send me an email but is not connected so i should contact him by replying the email i got.

Is that the protocol for the anonymous email you are talking about?
same with me I don reply yet nothin
Re: "Member Following" Replaces "Friending" On Nairaland by Seun(m): 10:08am On Jun 01, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
Seun, imma need this to stop, aiight.
We've drastically reduced the frequency of those mails. The last one was sent 8 days ago, so clearly, it's stopped.

Paentera: Great stuff, now can we have a thumbs down or dislike button too?
You can report a post if you feel it breaks the rules. If you don't like a post, you should just ignore it. Let's be positive!!

edyza: hey its a nice idea,u knw keeping upo wif the changing world wif this following stuffs atleast thats wat twitter does but dont u think i have the right 2 say who shld follow mw or not? i mean the way it is its like stalking 2 me though its a nice one but we ought 2 aav d right 2 our followers,by that i mean 2 tell who follows me,mek wor wor person no follow me reach dream
Your followers are just like fans. They won't have any special privileges over you, unless you choose to follow them back.

1 Like

Re: "Member Following" Replaces "Friending" On Nairaland by Nobody: 10:12am On Jun 01, 2012
Seun, what of 'Dislike' button beside the 'Like' button? Nice one here. Keep it up man.
Re: "Member Following" Replaces "Friending" On Nairaland by Seun(m): 10:13am On Jun 01, 2012
afam4eva: @Seun Another feature I want you to consider is the introduction of a "reputation system" that gives a certain clout of people more privileges. This can be calculated using variables like "date of joining nairaland", "number of posts", "number of followers" etc.
What kind of privileges do you have in mind for people with high reputations?

1 Like

Re: "Member Following" Replaces "Friending" On Nairaland by Nobody: 10:15am On Jun 01, 2012
Imanuelle: Seun..... Throw us a NL party jareh..
As sum1 rightly said....
Make we chop 'our' money.
Abi o o. Make we jolly over NL.
Re: "Member Following" Replaces "Friending" On Nairaland by Nobody: 10:23am On Jun 01, 2012
Biyi1471:
Abi o o. Make we jolly over NL.

seun dey du like say he nuh dey see our post ba?
Re: "Member Following" Replaces "Friending" On Nairaland by Seun(m): 10:24am On Jun 01, 2012
oayombo: a situation where someone follows me and had access to sending me email without my approval is not so cool.
The only people that can send you e-mail without your approval are (a) Moderators and the admin. (b) People you are following.

Loskee: if i follow back a follower of mine, does that mean he/she can have access to my email address?
No. Nobody has access to your email address, however, the people you follow back can send you emails through the forum.

Loskee: PMs sent to me just show a notification on my NL homepage and tell me to read the PM from my email address. when i do this and have to reply the email, i do that with my own email address and the person automatically knows my email address. now how do i reply without breaching the anonymity clause?
You can't send or reply an email without exposing your email address. However, your email address isn't exposed otherwise. I do not believe people should be able to send personal messages anonymously; that could be used for to all sorts of mischief (spamming, etc).

Loskee: -can we have the chat feature too? akin to yahoo chat or facebook chatting?
There's no current plan to implement that, due to the limited ROI potential of the feature, but anything can happen tomorrow. wink

1 Like

Re: "Member Following" Replaces "Friending" On Nairaland by Nobody: 10:45am On Jun 01, 2012
Seun:
What kind of privileges do you have in mind for people with high reputations?

OGA SEUN
I guess stars sign should be added to Old members then you categorize it Gold Silver and bronze member

i also think privileges should be a thing of posting limits as an Old member
you should be able to Create a Thread up to 10 a week and also have a chance of saving your posting life i.e you can save posting life line every week so this will be like Credit while you can also transfer to anyone that follows you or friend.

also new members can always have the privilege to Start Only 3 threads per week and also have a chance of saving his or her posting life i.e you can save posting life line everyweek so this will be like Credit while you can also transfer to anyone that follows you or friend.

Asper Replying a thread it should be a thing of limitation to avoid childish posting and thread spamming and any member been banned would have to pay the Mod with his credit to be unban or wait Normal time and each banning should last 3months minimum.

Old Members should have the opportunity to reply up to 50threads in 24hours while new member should be 20threads without creditsavings.

I believe this would reduce so much spamming ... most especially on Romance section

5 Likes

Re: "Member Following" Replaces "Friending" On Nairaland by Nobody: 11:03am On Jun 01, 2012
How about Chatting on NL? I mean via a kind of chatting messenger where you can easily request, add and accept users from NL. Let's make NL more fanciful and interesting. So far, its been awesome.. But, please consider the 'Dislike' button. One luv.
Re: "Member Following" Replaces "Friending" On Nairaland by JideTheBlogger(m): 11:59am On Jun 01, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
Sounds like "stalking" to me.

So, following on Twitter is also "Stalking" to you abi?

1 Like

Re: "Member Following" Replaces "Friending" On Nairaland by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:17pm On Jun 01, 2012
Seun:
The only people that can send you e-mail without your approval are (a) Moderators and the admin. (b) People you are following.

the email idea is so not right. the people following you part especially.

that means all these scammers and so-called marketers will simply find it easy to get nairaland as an easy way of acquiring email addresses!!

add that to the hacking and you are practically aiding and abetting them.

rethink it pls.
Re: "Member Following" Replaces "Friending" On Nairaland by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:19pm On Jun 01, 2012
JideTheBlogger:

So, following on Twitter is also "Stalking" to you abi?

does following on twitter give the follower instant access to your email address?

pls not everyone on NL is a teenager. E-mail addresses are very vital to working class people, and not everyone maintains multiple email accounts.
Re: "Member Following" Replaces "Friending" On Nairaland by snthesis(m): 12:44pm On Jun 01, 2012
@SEUN
i dont like the word "Followers" its repugnant, abeg use another term.
i aint Jesus, so please i dnt want followers, use friends instead, not followers. angry angry angry angry
Re: "Member Following" Replaces "Friending" On Nairaland by Afam4eva(m): 12:46pm On Jun 01, 2012
snthesis: @SEUN
i dont like the word "Followers" its repugnant, abeg use another term.
i aint Jesus, so please i dnt want followers, use friends instead, not followers. angry angry angry angry
But you have no problem with Twitter using it. Park well jo.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Who Got The Best!!! Battle Of The Hips [see Photos] / How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? / Shitposting General

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.