Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,886 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:05 AM

The burning cold - Literature (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The burning cold (47249 Views)

Story:lost In A Cold World(an Emotional Story) / Jos, December And Cold. / UNYIME-IVY KING – “burning Hurt” Akwa Ibom’s Bestfemale Literary Fiction Writer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The burning cold by ijebabe: 11:47am On Nov 27, 2012
Ghen Ghen!cheesy
Re: The burning cold by dubem3(m): 5:28pm On Nov 27, 2012
jeeez!!!
mynd!!!
i don de fear you.
i know somebody with that owl pendant
i wonder if she is one of them...

guy this was a nice twist
keep it coming
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 5:31pm On Nov 27, 2012
Mynd_44:

all resemblance to real life events and people is simply a coincidence
Re: The burning cold by ijebabe: 5:47pm On Nov 27, 2012
Lol!
Re: The burning cold by IZUKWU(m): 7:47pm On Nov 27, 2012
brokoto: really? ask Cuddlemii lipsrsealed lipsrsealed by the way, the way you described the school, it sounded like UNN o cheesy
are you an alumni ?
Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 8:40pm On Nov 27, 2012
IZUKWU: are you an alumni ?
yep smiley
Re: The burning cold by UjSizzle(f): 11:35pm On Nov 27, 2012
Action film don start
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 11:49pm On Nov 27, 2012
uj_sizzle: Action film don start
For where?
Re: The burning cold by dubem3(m): 6:58am On Nov 28, 2012
ijebabe: Lol!
What is laughing at you?
Re: The burning cold by Talk2david1(m): 6:39pm On Nov 28, 2012
Mynd,kip up d gud wrk,i lov d story n njoy d suspence bt u shuld b awarded d laziest writer in nairaland.Your story meks me feel lyk am watching a seasonal movie but truthfuly,i njoy it,plz kum n post mur
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 6:45pm On Nov 28, 2012
Talk2david1: Mynd,kip up d gud wrk,i lov d story n njoy d suspence bt u shuld b awarded d laziest writer in nairaland.Your story meks me feel lyk am watching a seasonal movie but truthfuly,i njoy it,plz kum n post mur
Not lazy dude. This is not a novel where you can go edit. Once I post it, I can't change so I have to take time to make sure I don't get stuck.

A lot of planing goes into this before typing. Not that I am lazy but I don't want a short story. I want y'all to enjoy hance the time.

But dont worry, this night, another episode comes
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 9:42am On Nov 29, 2012
I'm going back in.
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 10:26am On Nov 29, 2012
The light stopped shinning and the clearing was back to the light from the moon but the man who stood in the clearing still glowed with brightness. Like some of the lights were still on him and he reflected it.

He stood rooted on the ground while the witches stood on one end of the clearing behind me.

"I an a servant of the great passway
an effector of the scrolls of life and I demand an explanation before I send you worthless beings to your master"

These words bolted out with force. With each word, I felt my head ache, my muscles contract and tighten and contract again. Beads of sweat broke all over me. And then he took one step toward my direction.

He took a look at me and then straight at the witches who I could not hear or see.

Another step and he asked
"I want an answer"

I still could not talk or move here but the pains were also all over me. I was huting and dying and whoever this was was just asking questions

"we did not know he belonged to anyone. We were just hungry" came from one of the witches. The male one.

"But you know it is wrong to feed on mortals, even though they serve no master don't you?"

"Forgive us, we have been stripped of too much power than out bodies can handle, we needed his soul for strenght least we die". Replied another witch.

I saw a twisted smile on his face which still shone. He replied

"Well death is a matter I deal in, and your dying is none of my problems"

"oh please, forgive us, next time we will watch well who we take for our meal"

now my head was ringing. Like next time? All of a sudden, I realised why the street was empty, why no one ventured out at night and why every stayed indoors after dark

The man replied,
"I might be willing to forgive as the issues of what you feed off or sacrificed is beyond my purpose and therefore not me concern but you will release him and return whatever you took from him right now"

suddenly, I heard a laugh or more like a shreik as one of the withes began to walk towards him and said

"Reaper, you said it yourself that you don't concern yourself with the balance of power. Your concern is with the balance of numbers. Population and unless you can tell me that you are here to reap, stay off our business.
Who knows, you might actually be here to reap his soul anyway because by the time we are done, he will be dead"

Now there was real fear inside me. I saw this guy scare them off into a corner and they just told him off.

The wizard then motioned the witches back into positions.

"brethen, lets continue feeding and when we have absorbed his essence, we can send his soul to the reaper"

Laughs erruptes and the wizard looked back and said

"you have no power here and you know it. You can choose to save him but then can you fight us all off? You are not here to reap, you are just here to disturb us."

A witch which obviously had regained her confidence at these words then walked up to him and said

"Why are you here? Is the whelp a friend? Son? Brother?he dies today which is why you must be here. To reap his soul."

another reply addressing the man

"I doubt that you are here to reap anyway but it is obvious you care for the boy but you are powerless here. We did not attack you so the laws of self-defence does not come into play. Stand back and watch

He stood and watched as their hands spread again towards me and I falt pain tear through my brain.

Now It was more intense. My brain was screaming, my body was burning from the inside and I felt like I was going to burst.

I could not close my eyes as the pain intensifies when I do so I kept them open.

The reaper dude just stood and watched. He did nothing. It was like he was observing how they were doing what they were doing. He was not concerned that we had the same master. Why should he anyway?

Again I tried to mutter mum's name. Still being human and trying to save myself. Trying to believe that there was still hope that I might live from this but the words of the wizard rang through my head.

The man was here to reap alright and I might just be the soul he wanted to reap. It all made sense right? Why would he be there to save me?

His entrance might just be some kind of fun to him and he has done that. My eyes were about to burst and all I could not think off was silence and oblivion.

"Let's finish the meal brethen and send this miserable mortal to the reaper" came from the leader of the witches.

I felt a contrapment in my heart and my throat got tightened as though there was a hand hold it. My eyes were opened wide and I started to drift but I still held on. Still hoping that one last miracle will happen and I will be saved this fate I was looking at. The fate that was staring me blank in the eye.

My eyes lost their strenght. And my hands felt weak, my body was failing me and giving away and I heard on final voice call out clearly and distinctly

"BURN!!!!"

I felt fire around me as the heat reached me intense heat spontaneously springing from nowhere.

1 Like

Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 5:41pm On Nov 29, 2012
Hmmm. You don die? So no update again? Abeg na no die!
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 5:43pm On Nov 29, 2012
brokoto: Hmmm. You don die? So no update again? Abeg na no die!
I swear the guy fit die ooo.
Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 5:45pm On Nov 29, 2012
Mynd_44:
I swear the guy fit die ooo.

You no know? No try am o. Actor no de die for film nasad
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 5:47pm On Nov 29, 2012
brokoto: You no know? No try am o. Actor no de die for film nasad
Who tell you? I don watch film wey actor die oo
Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 5:52pm On Nov 29, 2012
Mynd_44:
Who tell you? I don watch film wey actor die oo
ok na. Make this guy die first you go see wetin i go do you:@ angry
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 5:54pm On Nov 29, 2012
brokoto: ok na. Make this guy die first you go see wetin i go do you:@ angry
Why you like am like so?
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 4:24pm On Nov 30, 2012
I'm going back in

**5 minutes later**

Oh shît writer's block
Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 6:14pm On Nov 30, 2012
Mynd_44: I'm going back in

**5 minutes later**

Oh shît writer's block
lwkm. This guy you must be high. Better melt that ice block o!
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 6:42pm On Nov 30, 2012
I heard or felt footsteps around me as all of a sudden, heat was hitting me but from one direction only. The smell of burning fabric filled the air as the heat intensified and through my closed, eyes, I saw red light as though light was shone at them.

I heard a shout from the wizard which sounded more like a scream but I felt something else. The heat reduced. I was all of a sudden felling stronger and regaining my strenght.

I heard footsteps all around on a unsteady manner and I still did not know what was going on

I heard a voice from a witch

"who did that? Who summoned fire?"

And I realised one thing. I was not the one burning. I was actually feeling a little bit stronger and strenght got to my eyelids as they flickered open to be hitted with the sight that looked like an old rag was on fire.

My eyes focused more and I saw what caused the commotion. The leader of the cult was burning. He was not burning like a part of him but he was fire himself. Like gas pipes inside him exploded and the fire came from inside him. He screamed and wailed while the others were screaming curses at him to cure him.

I felt strenght in my legs and my body started to recover fast. I attempted to sit and saw the reaper just standing in a corner of the little clearing smiling to himself while the owl pendant on his chest shone with a darkness I could not explain.

I got up determined to run away from this and attenpted to take off in the first direction my head can direct me when a voice filled my head

"Move"

It was not an advice, not a suggestion but a spiritual command giving to a mortal, I suddenly felt myself thrown thrown to one edge of the clearing. I turned in the direction where the witches thinking the command came from them and noticed they had their own issues.

The leader of the coven could not take the fire anymore and he slumped and died. Immediately he touched the ground, I felt an energy rip inside of me. My heartbeat got faster and I felt a shock, the reaper standing in one corner said

"One!!!!!"

The witches were stunned. They looked confused, scared and angry at the same time.

A gust of wind came from the direction I wanted to flee to and we all turned in that direction. Then three shapes appeared coming towards the clearing. The trees seem not to stop them as they walked through them. They were claded in robes whose ends looked torn and ragged but I noticed one more thing. Along with the wind coming from that directiom, energy also followed it. Intense energy that seemed to restore my strenght more and more.

Seconds later, I could make out their faces. At the center was my mum and on her sides where two other women I knew well. One is our neighbour who was also the prayer department leader in her church and the third was her old childhood friend.

Their hairs were blown out and their robes floating as though it was not attached to their bodies. Their eyes were not the same eyes I knew, it was yellowish red and glowing.

The witches who attacked me realising that this are the one who set their leader on fire and killed him, wasted no time. They screamed curses and hexes at them and bolts of energy exploded from their mouths, eyes and their nostrils. They spread out into a sort of formation as "die", "burn" and "immobilise" filled my head in a language I don't know.

My mum and her friends replied them with the same curses but when I mum and friends cursed, the bolts were of a greater size and volume. The bolts caught the wiches from all angles.

"lightning" Called the prayer leader and I saw another witch drop dead as a powerful bolt of lighning came from the sky and ran through her. She fell to the ground and died.

Another energy ripped through my body as she died and the reaper who had not taken a step since all these started called

"Two!!!!"

A witch ran to try to save her friend and was caught by a fireball which came from my mum's left hand.

Her screams filled the night sky as her body burned instantly and turned into ash.

The reaper called

"Three!!!!!"

The remaining two now realising that they could not stand against there enemies tried a new tactic. One tried to fly away but was caught of energy in the shape of a spear.

The reaper called out

"Four!!!"

The last one got on her kneels and begged. Fear written all over her face and here eyes was dialated.

"Please sisters spare me"

I heard my mum's voice,

"I don not spare people who try to kill my son"

The light went out of her eyes as her despair and desperation increased. My mum's hair now had went from black to comple white and her friends too. The gathered around the witch who was still kneeling and I heard her childhood friend say

"May your powers go to the Dark Lord and your soul to the reaper"

Sparks or energy errupted from their hands and struck the witch from all three of them at the same time.

The witch screamed and wailed. She begged as it was obvious she was not been killed but being tortured
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 6:57pm On Nov 30, 2012
As the witch continued her creaming, I noticed that the pendant on the reaper's chest did not stop glowing. It burned on his chest with darkness and energy.

A final scream and the witch slumped and died

"Five!!!!".

As the last witch hit the ground, I noticed the appearance of my mum and her friends changed. They returned into normal clothing, their eyes too and the energy around the clearing reduced.

Mum came over to me bendt and said

"Are you okay son?"

I managed a "yes"

"I am sorry I could not come earlier as you did not call me"

The prayer warrior then asked

"why did you not call for help?"

I was begining to regain my voice and I said

" I tried but I could not talk. My mouth was blocked by something and no matter how hard, I could not say anything"

The third woman said,
"The silence curse"

I was getting over my shock and asked

"But If I did not call you, who did mum?"

My mum held me up and gave me one of her charming smiles.

"son, I gave birth to you and that live in you can't go without me knowing or having a say on the matter"

I sighed in relief and then, the reaper coughed. Obviously to get attention.

I hate to break up the victory celebration but there is one more thing.

The prayer warrior replied him

"what thing is that reaper"

he looked towards me and said.

"I am sorry I could not save you Peter, my job was for their souls and unless they attacked me first, I could not do anything and that's why I came early. To try to ease your pain"

He continued,

"I knew you would not die because I was not sent for you but them"

My mum answered
"we know about you laws and rules. Now what little thing remains? You have your sould, no go to your master"

He smiled and replied,

"Yes I have reaped here, their time is up but I have only five souls"

he paused and continued

"I was sent here to collect SIX souls"

3 Likes

Re: The burning cold by IZUKWU(m): 7:31pm On Nov 30, 2012
Make he count his own as the fifth one!
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 7:32pm On Nov 30, 2012
IZUKWU: Make he count his own as the fifth one!
Lol. But he must have six. The balance must be kept
Re: The burning cold by ijebabe: 7:49pm On Nov 30, 2012
I almost yelled 'Expelliarmus' and 'Avada Kedavra!' grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 7:56pm On Nov 30, 2012
ijebabe: I almost yelled 'Expelliarmus' and 'Avada Kedavra!' grin grin grin
Smh
Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 8:44pm On Nov 30, 2012
Oya Mynd kill yourself to complete the number na
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 8:47pm On Nov 30, 2012
brokoto: Oya Mynd kill yourself to complete the number na
No vex me ooo. I go pursue you commot now
Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 9:54pm On Nov 30, 2012
Mynd_44:
No vex me ooo. I go pursue you commot now
tongue tah comot there. You fit?
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 10:07pm On Nov 30, 2012
brokoto: tongue tah comot there. You fit?
But is it alright? If you people don't say if you like it or not, I won't know.

Atleast if you can't like, you should be able to drop "nice" in your comment.

I am serious this time cos I get bothered that it is not good sometimes. Call it complex or whatever
Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 10:24pm On Nov 30, 2012
Mynd_44:
But is it alright? If you people don't say if you like it or not, I won't know.

Atleast if you can't like, you should be able to drop "nice" in your comment.

I am serious this time cos I get bothered that it is not good sometimes. Call it complex or whatever
hmmm, Mynd has an . . . Complex? Ok o.
Oya reason am like this: since you always see my replies almost immediately you update dont you think it means that i'm following this your story religiously? I dont usually have a problem saying nice things but i just thought that its not your style, i reckoned you were the type that likes reverse psychology and sarcasm. Good story you've got here. . .

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (22) (Reply)

Blind Love / Mercy Said No! - A Christian Romance Story / Switched (story Of A Fierce Battle Between Desperate Infatuation And True Love)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.