Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,766 members, 7,824,216 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:10 AM

The burning cold - Literature (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The burning cold (47266 Views)

Story:lost In A Cold World(an Emotional Story) / Jos, December And Cold. / UNYIME-IVY KING – “burning Hurt” Akwa Ibom’s Bestfemale Literary Fiction Writer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 7:59am On Dec 24, 2012
tongue
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 8:14am On Dec 24, 2012
Smh
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 9:08am On Dec 24, 2012
Ready to go and reap some poor soul out there who I did not know and from the looks of it, I would not be knowing. This is the job I signed for so I might as well suck it up and do it.

I looked in the mirror and looked at my dressing. Black T-shirt, jeanes and kicks. I looked at the mirror and started speaking to my self
"You can do this, it is easy, it is not like you are killing anyone here. You are just collecting a soul. Like a dilivery boy or man" the thought felt good and my confudence level rose, and almost immediately, my experience with the witches came to me as I saw how my mum and her friends almost tortured Toba and I grew scared again.

What if she is a witch or her mother is a witch? what if someone tries to stop me, what do I do in that situation? The confidence I had built with that little peep talk fell and I slumed back into my bed and hid my face with the pillow.

All I felt like doing was sleeping and not reaping anyone. I felt I was not trained enough for the task at hand and I was not about to risk my life in the hope of doing a job. I knew I was playing a dangerous game but my fear was over and above me right there and then. The boss of mine did not even mention if I will be paid or not sef.

I was drowning in my own cowardice and I looked at the time on my phone. 8:23pm. About one hour left and I was not even in the mood. I was prepared to walk away and then I heard a voice in my head. Loud and harsh and it belonged to no one else.

Mum!!!

The message she sent was short and simple.

"Boy, if you don't get out of that bed and go do your job right now, facing your Boss would not be the worst thing you would see. Now get out of that bed right now"

The force it came with was more that the warnings I have been getting from my boss as it was more hurtful and forceful. She was telling me to get out of bed but her voice was making me stay in bed. It was loud and painful. The there was a sudden gust of wind in my room even though my room was locked, I rolled over so I could lie face up and I was half expecting to see mum standing about me but all I felt was the wind blowing the books and pappers everywhere.

The light bulb above me broke by inself and my Televison fell from its stand. I knew she was aiming for me next, I felt something run down my nose and noticed that it was blood. Her voice had been that loud in my head and now I might get caught in her fury.

I whipped out the address while lying down and focused on it while trying not to be distracted by the commotion in the room.

Nothing happened no green flash of light, I was still in my room and it was still going upside down. I must have missed how to transport myself. I tried to talk to her but decided against it. She is hell bent on driving me out and I must go. Again I looked into the address with my eyes and a saw a flash which made me close blink. When I opened my eyes back, I was standing on a dark well maintained road. The road had some street light on it and I saw a sign post telling me I was standing in front of the house which was the agress given.

I looked around hoping to see whoever I am supposed to reap and I saw no one who looked like her. I also noticed the most of those walking around did not look at me. If anyone looked in my direction, they just keep looking as if I wasn't there. I walked around the streest for a bit and then I looked and my time, 9;02:54. I still has 37 minutes more to waste so I decided to see what was in the house anyway. I walked to the gate and walke through it like I was a ghost.

The house was well built, the conpound had a garden with a fountain and the ground was made of interlocking blocks. The building itself was great and I decided to explore more I walked into the house and saw some kids watching tv from a screen bigger than the window in my room. This people certainly lived the life. Too bad they did not know someone like me was around. The children were watching the cartoon and I took a seat. I like the movie anyway. I was about getting carried away when the clockes flashed in my eyes 9:30.

I got up and thought of walking but since I did not know where exactly the lady would die I decided to allow the bracelet guide me. I found my self in front of the house, outside it's gates.

I stood there and waited hoping to see some kind of action and then a car. I cold not feel the temparature of the night neither could I tell if it was windy or not. When you are in this form, your skin and nose lose their function and no matter how hard you concerntrate, you can't smell or feel anything.

Suddenly a car came screaming from a corner. I looked at it hard and I found myself sitting beside the driver. There was no one else there and the car was dangerously fast. I looked at the driver and recognised who she is. She is my subjest, my assignment
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 9:27am On Dec 24, 2012
She had obviously either lost control of the car or she was drunk and did not know what she was doing. She kept stepping on the gas and the car went faster. G forces acting on the car now made the car light and I had a vision there and then as everything paused.

I saw her lying down dead in front of the gate I just left with her skull badly battered against a rock at the base of the gate. I saw how she got there as she came flying out of her windscreen and out of the car. Then I was back to where I was before. She had being stepping on the gas before and all of a sudden, she stepped on the brakes. The car halted to a stop and because she has no seat belt on, she smashed her head on the windscreen the windscreen broke and she was thrown out and then time froze again.

I now saw the the clocks flash in front of me both reading 9:39:54 and I knew what I had to do I transported myself to her side as she was suspended in mid air and put my left hand on her, I took my hand away and looked into her eyes. It lost color immediately as a large amount of energy flowed through me. I stepped back and looked at the braceley which was now glowing. I felt the power in me to unfreeze everything but I wanted to make sure I had done my job well first.

The bracelet still glowed and then suddenly, I saw my boss but this time, no pains in my head and it was quiet. I was standing in front of him in the dark room as I heard his voice

"Good job for a first timer" and the energy me me was drained and a light flowed out of the bracelet and into his books.

I was suddenly back at the street and I blinked and then closed my eyes hoping not to see the impact of her head on the rock. I kept my eyes closed until I heard voices as they were trying to carry to lady. I heard someone mention hospital and I justd hook my head. Some occupants in the big house came out and the commotion continued. I transported my self into the living room and discovered the the cartoon had ended.

Nothing left for me there and I went back home to meet a suprise
Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 10:56am On Dec 24, 2012
. . . Too much typos. Do something about them. Thanks though.
Re: The burning cold by jslimz(f): 1:10pm On Dec 24, 2012
I think the copy of the burning cold is cool.
At least whenever there is an update, one knows there is really an update and not chit-chats.
Re: The burning cold by dubem3(m): 1:13pm On Dec 24, 2012
guy na cartoon be your problem abi?
no worry,na body go tell you
Re: The burning cold by Oluwafunmilayo95(f): 3:13pm On Dec 24, 2012
Can't beli...*pauses to take in air*..believe I read all !5 pages in less than 3hrs shocked

A very.. nice story.
Good job man smiley
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 3:20pm On Dec 24, 2012
Oluwafunmilayo95: Can't beli...*pauses to take in air*..believe I read all !5 pages in less than 3hrs shocked

A very.. nice story.
Good job man smiley
I am single toogringringrin
Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 6:32pm On Dec 24, 2012
Nice job 4 a first timer,mayb ur boss didnt knw dt,na ur mama get u out of ur bed, but i hope say na kitty dey wait 4 u 4 house o.
Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 6:33pm On Dec 24, 2012
Nice job 4 a first timer,mayb ur boss didnt knw dt,na ur mama get u out of ur bed, but i hope say na kitty dey wait 4 u 4 house o.
Re: The burning cold by IZUKWU(m): 12:39am On Dec 25, 2012
wink
Damex333: Nice job 4 a first timer,mayb ur boss didnt knw dt,na ur mama get u out of ur bed, but i hope say na kitty dey wait 4 u 4 house o.
wink
Damex333: Nice job 4 a first timer,mayb ur boss didnt knw dt,na ur mama get u out of ur bed, but i hope say na kitty dey wait 4 u 4 house o.
Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 4:42pm On Dec 25, 2012
O boy bring that your Fear story come here naaaaaa
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 8:19pm On Dec 25, 2012
brokoto: O boy bring that your Fear story come here naaaaaa
Patience
Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 4:38pm On Dec 27, 2012
Werrin hapun na Mr Mynd? No updates?
Re: The burning cold by Coolval222(m): 4:45pm On Dec 27, 2012
Very Nice
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 4:46pm On Dec 27, 2012
brokoto: Werrin hapun na Mr Mynd? No updates?
tonight. No worry. I am sober now. Na holiday drink cause am
Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 4:49pm On Dec 27, 2012
Mynd_44:
tonight. No worry. I am sober now. Na holiday drink cause am
tick tock tock. . .
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 5:00pm On Dec 27, 2012
brokoto: tick tock tock. . .
Tick the tocks well oooo
Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 12:36am On Dec 28, 2012
We tick d tock sotey but u no con update,e no gud o. Oya oga mynd con update afasta afasta.
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 1:03am On Dec 28, 2012
Damex333: We tick d tock sotey but u no con update,e no gud o. Oya oga mynd con update afasta afasta.
sir?
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 6:20am On Dec 28, 2012
Seems I am ticking outta tocks.

I am going in
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 7:05am On Dec 28, 2012
The light that dropped me in my room had barely dissipated when I noticed one thing. My room had been arranged and cleaned. It was like the whole incident with mum did not happen at all. I flashed back and i could remember that in the middle of the whole thing, my TV fell off but here it was sitting on the shelf like it always does.

I went to my cloth hanger and the same thing. I did not have to wonder any further as my phone rang. I answered it and it was mum calling.

"Hi mum, this is a suprised"

"why should it be a suprise that a mother is calling her son? Or would you rather have those silly girls call you than me?"

Now something stirred in me. Does mum know about Bunmi and I? I could not let that show and I just answered casually,

"well since you mostly talk to me through 'other channels' I did not know you still remember my phone number"

I could almost see her smile on the other side. I just wanted to hear you voice naturally without the fear in it when we "Spirit talk"

"What do you mean Fear mum?"

Now it was her turn to tease me.

"Everytime I talk to you there, your voice sounds like you wanna soil your pants with poo" And she broke out into laughter.

"Yeah thanks mum, you are really encouraging"

"Don't play the victim boy, you started it. And are you not going to thank me?"

Great she wants a thank you for making my nose bleed and making me scared shîtless. I amswered
"What will I be thanking you for mum?"

"well for fixing your room for you. I felt bad about thrashing it so when you went to work, I helped you arrange it back"

"Well since you thrashed in in the first place, you don't derserve any thank you" I began to feel the first sign of drowsiness between my eyes so I told her

"Mum, I appreciated you calling and all but I wanna go to bed. It has been a long and depressing night"

"okay son go to bed. But seriously, I have been meaning to discuss something with you and it won't take time"

"What ma? " I half replied

"You are about to started getting some really cool stuffs so go easy on the ladies"

My heart flipped a bit there. Ladies?
"erm mum....." and she cut me off.

"I have not been in your head in a while and I don't intend to so don't be worried just make sure you keep your head and do you job well. Good night son"

With that, I smiled. So she does not know about Bunmi, this is nice. It might have been awkward if she had been getting reports of my activities. My life might be getting better afterall.

I jumped on my bed half tired and half bored. The electricity was out and I did not charge my laptop so I had noting to do. I said a little Illuminating spell to light the room up a bit and I tried to sleep when I heard a knock on my door. I was half expecting the knock and I knew who was there.

I opened the door and saw Bunmi smiling at me..........

I woke uo the next morning with Bunmi getting out of bed.

"Peter, I have to go to work wake up"

I was still tired from ALL the activities of the previous night and I said
"But today is Saturday, why work?"

"I work everyday silly. I will catch you later"

She got up to leave while got up behind her to lock the door back. Went she left the room, she stood at the door and gave me a well tongued kiss which just drove all the sleep out of my eyes.

I closed the door and bolted it. I stood at the door again and then noticed that the energy in the room had increased. Which meant there was someone else there with me. I still did not turn but I had half a dozen curses on my lips already to send whatever it was back to anywhere.

The temperature also increased in the room meaning whatever it was, it was human or atleastm a mortal and the I got the regular light and I knew who it was.

"Is there a way to keep you out of my room Toba?"

I turned and saw him fiddling with my remote control again.

He looked at me and said
"Good morning, I heard you had a great night and from the looks of it, the rewards was better" and he gave me a cheeky smile.

"Good morning to you too. And please is there a way to keep you out? Like making you knock before entering my room?"

"Why would you want me to knock?"

"Because I don't want you watching evrything I do"

He changed the channel on the TV to where they were playing music and said "
All you have to do is tell me I am not welcome and that's it. Next time I want to come, I will have to inform you. It is that easy".

I smiled and said okay. Then I noticed that he was watching "MTV on my TV". Shocked, I said

"How come you can watch MTV when I don't have satelite TV? And how come the TV is working when the electricity has been out since yesterday?"

He just got off my bed, handed me the remote and said
"You will learn"

"Fine so what are you doing here? I want to get some sleep"

"Nothing serious, I just came to deliver your pay"
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 7:30am On Dec 28, 2012
"What do you mean pay?" I asked.

"You will be paid for your work for the Reaper. This is a substantial sum, possibly to ensure that you don't give in to temptation and attempt to make money with your powers"

"And if I do?" I actually asked because the thought crossed my mind.

He smiled and said, "There are worse things that death".

I nodded and said "You are not welcome here Toba" and he turned his back at me.

"I am here already so next time, I will knock. My mission this morning is completed anyway" and he was gone before I could ask him what his mission was.

I thought about following his light but I crawled into bed instead and then my phone rang again but this time, it was not a phone call. It was a text message. I was half expecting it to be from Bunmi but I got a very big suprise. It was from my bank and it seems my account had been credited with a
Million bucks by an anonymous person
Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 9:15am On Dec 28, 2012
Mynd,i really need ur help o,just introduce me 2 ds reaper,and i will reap 4 him,and collect a million bucks 4 just reaping 1 soul,i will reap soul 4 him everytime.,i hope u will consider my request and grant it 2 me.
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 9:17am On Dec 28, 2012
Damex333: Mynd,i really need ur help o,just introduce me 2 ds reaper,and i will reap 4 him,and collect a million bucks 4 just reaping 1 soul,i will reap soul 4 him everytime.,i hope u will consider my request and grant it 2 me.
You don't wanna meet him walai.
Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 9:58am On Dec 28, 2012
Mynd_44:
You don't wanna meet him walai.
try me,am a very good learner. Since d money is gud.
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 10:02am On Dec 28, 2012
Damex333: try me,am a very good learner. Since d money is gud.
Is your mum(no offence) a witch?
Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 11:28am On Dec 28, 2012
Mynd_44:
Is your mum(no offence) a witch?
no she is NOT, but we can ask peter's mum 2 help ur out.
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 11:30am On Dec 28, 2012
Damex333: no she is NOT, but we can ask peter's mum 2 help ur out.
lol
Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 12:34pm On Dec 28, 2012
Reaping business is good business º°˚˚˚°º‎​ . Chai!
Re: The burning cold by IZUKWU(m): 10:36pm On Dec 28, 2012
Did you say a fvcking million.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (22) (Reply)

Blind Love / Mercy Said No! - A Christian Romance Story / Chimamanda Adichie And Her Husband Welcomed A Daughter

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.