Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,518 members, 7,819,866 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:08 AM

BMW Owners' Forum - Car Talk (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / BMW Owners' Forum (230728 Views)

Honda CRV Owners Forum / Nissan Xterra Owners Forum / Kia Owners Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (93) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by erico2k2(m): 1:44pm On Oct 30, 2014
kamikazee0:
Good morning guys,

I need HELP!!!

I have a 2003 e65 (N62) engine wonderful to drive. Here is the really annoying problem. I can't buy more than 20liters of gas in the tank, anything above that and the car will torture you to death, it is almost not driveable, it sputters, with light popping sounds from the engine bay and then won't move if you give it gas. Almost complete loss if power
If you are patient however and give it gas gently, it responds slowly and gradually and after a few seconds it goes mad with power and runs off having you grabbing the steering wheel.
I have had this issue for some time and it took a while to learn the trend. Now, i only buy 15-18ltrs of gas -everyday :-(.
The fuller the tank the more difficulty in driving it.
I had it scanned at a service center and i have to tell you this guys, even at an auto shop, ask for the scan results before they do anything on the car.
I changed fuel rail, injectors, plugs, fuel filter, put apart the top cylinder to thoroughly clean out the engine... results were all same.
I went back to the scan results and noticed a line item "tank vent valve stuck open" I believe this is the smoking gun but the mechs (3 different ones) don't agree with me.
Anyways. I want to change it, problem is I don't know where it is. Pictures I have seen online indicate it's in the engine bay area but the it's not there on mine. Other sources say it could be around the fuel tank....

Anyone know it's location and a reference to a mechanic I can use?
its a small valve ontop ur fuel intake line, the lil square metal like a ruler,, I will try and have a pic .
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Shagati(m): 2:02pm On Oct 30, 2014
kamikazee0:
Forgive me.

I stay in Ikeja, Lagos.

Classics and Dreams
Off kudirat Abiola (Oregun) Road
Ikeja

1 Like

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by baslone: 9:38am On Oct 31, 2014
234CustomCars:
If your bmw keys wont open/close your car/windows/sunroof or you've had to buy a new set of keys/EWS and lost your keyless entry feature, let us know. We can resolve this for you in 10mins.

My x5 had this problem, I had to make do with some funny keys.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by kamikazee0(m): 5:03pm On Nov 01, 2014
Shagati:

Classics and Dreams
Off kudirat Abiola (Oregun) Road
Ikeja

Thanks a lot! I will check them out.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Nobody: 1:11pm On Nov 02, 2014
I've been asking for some time but it seems no one is listening....

So I'll ask again...how much is complete engine for the 323i 2.5L. Its a 2000 model.

Any help will be appreciated.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 9:45pm On Nov 02, 2014
adeniyisavage:
I've been asking for some time but it seems no one is listening....

So I'll ask again...how much is complete engine for the 323i 2.5L. Its a 2000 model.

Any help will be appreciated.
ermm, I got a 3.0 m54,2001 MY (330i) for about N210,000...so a 323i I.e, m52 2.5l would cost between N120-N150k.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Nobody: 10:50pm On Nov 02, 2014
yungboss:

ermm, I got a 3.0 m54,2001 MY (330i) for about N210,000...so a 323i I.e, m52 2.5l would cost between N120-N150k.

BMW engines are quite pricey.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 4:19am On Nov 03, 2014
cne010:

BMW engines are quite pricey.
so i thought too, i don't know whether it is the port Harcourt factor or that's just how it is, I'm sure in Lagos or environ, it would have been about N20,000 cheaper.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Nobody: 5:44am On Nov 03, 2014
yungboss:

Thanks so much..but you mentioned port Harcourt prices? So at Ladipo,it could be cheaper? 100-120k?
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 5:47am On Nov 03, 2014
adeniyisavage:

Thanks so much..but you mentioned port Harcourt prices? So at Ladipo,it could be cheaper? 100-120k?
yes, looking at N120k...the guys here dig a hole in clients' pockets
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Nobody: 9:53am On Nov 03, 2014
yungboss:

so i thought too, i don't know whether it is the port Harcourt factor or that's just how it is, I'm sure in Lagos or environ, it would have been about N20,000 cheaper.

Even with the 20k less its still pricey I bought an ML engine last week for 65k complete engine. W203 engine and gear is 90k.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Nobody: 7:18pm On Nov 06, 2014
Hello. Wonderful forumites...
I finally got my Obd 2 scanner and decided to scan my car...its a 323i e46...

I got some codes which I'll share to the house...maybe some one could help me analyse them.

P1622....
P1182...
P1183....
P0161...
P0141...
P0155...
P0135...

I know the last 4 concerns the O2 sensors....but that's how far I can tell...Pls any guru in the house. Pls Help.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Nobody: 7:25pm On Nov 06, 2014
cne010:

Even with the 20k less its still pricey I bought an ML engine last week for 65k complete engine. W203 engine and gear is 90k.

Men! I've Always wondered why BMW engines are so damn expensive...its really annoying when I see prices of engines of other car makers so cheap. I know the engines of babyboy and tiny light aint that much...
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by lungwun(m): 8:32pm On Nov 06, 2014
adeniyisavage:
Hello. Wonderful forumites...
I finally got my Obd 2 scanner and decided to scan my car...its a 323i e46...

I got some codes which I'll share to the house...maybe some one could help me analyse them.

P1622....
P1182...
P1183....
P0161...
P0141...
P0155...
P0135...

I know the last 4 concerns the O2 sensors....but that's how far I can tell...Pls any guru in the house. Pls Help.

P1622 = Map cooling thermostat control circuit

P1182 code (O2 Sensor (Bank 1 Sensor 2) Open Circuit During Coast Down Fuel Cut-off)

The solution to the P1183 problem in my case was simply a matter of changing the O2 sensor located in Bank 2 Sensor 2. The connector plug is located in first panel that contains the fuel rail.

This was after 3 minutes of Google searches.

T'Internet is wonderful eh?

1 Like

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Nobody: 7:23am On Nov 07, 2014
lungwun:

P1622 = Map cooling thermostat control circuit

P1182 code (O2 Sensor (Bank 1 Sensor 2) Open Circuit During Coast Down Fuel Cut-off)

The solution to the P1183 problem in my case was simply a matter of changing the O2 sensor located in Bank 2 Sensor 2. The connector plug is located in first panel that contains the fuel rail.

This was after 3 minutes of Google searches.

T'Internet is wonderful eh?

Simply amazing...but it doesn't tell me what to fix??

The MAP thermostat? Should I buy a new one?
The other codes? Should I also replace all the O2 sensors? I'm just wondering if all 4 sensors can go bad at once?
Is there any way you can test the sensors manually apart from the scanner?
by the way, how much did u buy the sensor? new or toks?
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by lungwun(m): 7:42am On Nov 10, 2014
Managed to lock myself out of the E46 today.

Was warming the car, then decided to give it a quick wash before work and shut the open drivers door.

Wash over, I tried to turn it off and discovered it locked.

Had to jiggle one window slightly open and extend a metal rod to press the unlock button in the centre console. Highly frustrating task.

Got it in the end. How that happened in the first place I have no idea.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Gee2728(m): 9:37am On Nov 10, 2014
lungwun:
Managed to lock myself out of the E46 today.

Was warming the car, then decided to give it a quick wash before work and shut the open drivers door.

Wash over, I tried to turn it off and discovered it locked.

Had to jiggle one window slightly open and extend a metal rod to press the unlock button in the centre console. Highly frustrating task.

Got it in the end. How that happened in the first place I have no idea.
I wonder who designed such a system. my kompressor on the other hand will only lock up all doors when u put it in gear and start moving. so even if the key stays in the ignition all day with the car on as long as its not moving the doors will never automatically lock.

1 Like

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by koolkesh(m): 9:43pm On Nov 10, 2014
Good day house,

Please can anyone explain what this caution light(in the box where the gear selections shows an exclamation mark in a sun like circular form) might mean? Find picture attached.

The first time it showed i noticed the car was still moving but i parked turned of the engine and restarted it and it was gone. It has appeared like 3 other times, i would really appreciate if anyone who has had a similar problem could tell me what it might be. I drive a 2001 bmw 325i e46.

I love the machine drives like a beast but the sign got me worried.

Dont know if a scan would be able to detect it while it isnt showing.

Thanks.

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by erico2k2(m): 10:40pm On Nov 10, 2014
koolkesh:
Good day house,

Please can anyone explain what this caution light(in the box where the gear selections shows an exclamation mark in a sun like circular form) might mean? Find picture attached.

The first time it showed i noticed the car was still moving but i parked turned of the engine and restarted it and it was gone. It has appeared like 3 other times, i would really appreciate if anyone who has had a similar problem could tell me what it might be. I drive a 2001 bmw 325i e46.

Thanks.
Transmission and one of your front light bulb is gone as well, the one at the right
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Dsannin: 10:50pm On Nov 10, 2014
Does anyone know how much a 2005 325i would cost today tokunbo preferably
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by scotcom: 11:06pm On Nov 10, 2014
If you don't mind a 2002 330i,I saw one for sale ant it is very very sharp,if you are interested let me redirect you because the advert is on nairaland
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 12:47am On Nov 11, 2014
Gee2728:
I wonder who designed such a system. my kompressor on the other hand will only lock up all doors when u put it in gear and start moving. so even if the key stays in the ignition all day with the car on as long as its not moving the doors will never automatically lock.
I had that problem when I was using a c220. I stopped somewhere to purchase airtime, went out of the car shut the door, went around to pick up the airtime, what I heard thereafter was the usual 'thud' sound of locked doors...with the car still idling I knew I was in a big mess. I thanked God I had the spare at home, asked the lady to keep an eye on the car while i rushed home in a cab ( the house key was locked inside the car) picked a welder and his tools, had to cut my gate lock open, burgled my apartment,got the spare key and dashed down to the location of the car...the merc was still idling (all within one hour..). I was so messed up, I could not travel that day anymore. A central lock malfunction it was...

2 Likes

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Gee2728(m): 8:49am On Nov 11, 2014
koolkesh:
Good day house,

Thanks.
that sign on a range rover means one should check the tire pressure dnt know if its same for ur beemer.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by koolkesh(m): 9:55am On Nov 11, 2014
erico2k2:

Transmission and one of your front light bulb is gone as well, the one at the right

Yea am aware it has to be transmission, but is it that its going bad? Or the oil is short? Has anyone had a similar problem?

I think i would have it scanned but am afraid it might not detect it because it hasn't poppped up again.

Gee2728:
that sign on a range rover means one should check the tire pressure dnt know if its same for ur beemer.

I doubt its tyre pressure.

If any of the oldies with the e46 help out would really appreciate it i.e youngboss, ikenna, shagati, sienna, lungwun

thanks.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Shagati(m): 10:07am On Nov 11, 2014
koolkesh:

Yea am aware it has to be transmission, but is it that its going bad? Or the oil is short? Has anyone had a similar problem?

It is called the Red Cog of Death!
Not to alarm you though cheesy

It could be any of a myriad of possible issues. Some are quick fix and some could be well.........
See below for further reading

https://www.google.se/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8&safe=active&ssui=on#q=e46+red+cog+of+death&safe=active&ssui=on
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 10:20am On Nov 11, 2014
koolkesh:
Good day house,

Thanks.
automatic transmission malfunction. Does your car use the steptronic system...the auto transmission only engages in the emergency program...
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Nobody: 3:07pm On Nov 11, 2014
its transmission related....ranging from simple fluid top up to very nasty shit.
i will advice you to scan it...the tcm will generate a code...trust me.
get it scanned and as an extra precaution..stop driving it till u get the codes...
if u don't,the cog icon will start flashing soon afterwards(maybe a few hundred miles later)
by then u can kiss ur tranny goodbye.
of all the indicators in the BMW e46 cluster,i fear this one the most.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Export1: 5:14pm On Nov 11, 2014
3 best BMW 3 series ever!

1. E30 BMW M3
The most loved, most desired, and most revered 3 Series BMW is, without question, the E30 M3. Although its inline-4 cylinder engines only put out between 192 and 217 horsepower, it was all the power the light and nimble chassis needed to go like hell. The formula was a runaway success on the track, where E30 M3 dominated touring car racing in the late 80s and early 90s. Today, E30 M3s often sell for more than book value in excellent condition. Although there have been many, many great 3 Series cars, the E30 M3 is the ultimate expression of the basic formula: great handling, good power, and clean, contemporary style.

2. E90 BMW M3
A V8-powered 3 Series once seemed sacreligious, but competition from Audi's V8-powered S4 meant there was no alternative for BMW but to match cylinder counts. Putting out a monstrous 414 hp from a 4.0-liter V8 that revved to an incredible 8000 rpm, the E90 M3 made the 340-hp Audi seem anemic. While some enthusiasts and motoring press claim that the V8 M3 was, to some degree, softened compared to its predecessors, there is no question that the E90 was faster than any street M3 to date.

3. E46 BMW M3
With its 333-hp 3.2-liter inline-6, the E46 M3 could hand with the AMGs and Corvettes of the day in a straight line and then beat them through the corners. The last M3 to be powered by a naturally-aspirated inline six, the E46 was technologically advanced yet still made driver feel directly connected to the road, something that newer generations have lost somewhat as more electronic driver aids have become part of the equation.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Shagati(m): 8:23pm On Nov 11, 2014
Export1:
3 best BMW 3 series ever!

1. E30 BMW M3

2. E90 BMW M3

3. E46 BMW M3

Pictures please. Don't forget the pictures.
Good write up
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by IdaraCHODB(m): 7:53pm On Nov 12, 2014
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by lungwun(m): 8:07pm On Nov 14, 2014
If anyone says vinyl wrapping is easy without heat, they lied. My modest efforts so far.

Interior trim

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (93) (Reply)

Club-Lexus / Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! / The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.