Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,112 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:20 PM

Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars - Car Talk (36) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars (894699 Views)

What Is With Honda Cars And Their Tyres That Always Cave In. / Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (434) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:00pm On Apr 04, 2015
omar0001:
Hi,
Neat thread..
My wife towed her Honda City to my office. She said when she puts it in Drive, nothing happens and the car goes off. Same for Reverse..

Is it the gearbox? Honda City - 2007
Can it be serviced? .. or do I need to replace?

I appreciate your time )

...Omar
Goes off? Have it scanned.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by chillex8(m): 8:15pm On Apr 04, 2015
I smell guilt all over
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by ukata16(m): 10:51pm On Apr 04, 2015
Please guys where can I locate the engine number of Honda Accord 1998 lx?
I mean which side in the engine will I find the number. Thanks
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:55am On Apr 05, 2015
omar0001:
Hi,
Neat thread..
My wife towed her Honda City to my office. She said when she puts it in Drive, nothing happens and the car goes off. Same for Reverse..

Is it the gearbox? Honda City - 2007
Can it be serviced? .. or do I need to replace?

I appreciate your time )

...Omar

Does the engine run smooth? (No misfire) is the engine rpm around 650-700rpm when car is in idle? What's the repair history of your vehicle? Had any funny vibrations b4 take off previously? Is the check engine light on when the engine is running? If you are in lagos give me a call ill scan and consult for free. 08023251039.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by luvinhubby(m): 12:49pm On Apr 05, 2015
ukata16:
Please guys where can I locate the engine number of Honda Accord 1998 lx?
I mean which side in the engine will I find the number. Thanks
Plastic panel that covers your timming belt & also engraved on your engine block.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by acadollar(m): 12:52pm On Apr 05, 2015
Pls is V4 Honda accord 2004 ( EOD ) better than V6 ?
I am asking because i want to ship it to naija but my friend advised it may be hard to sell
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by luvinhubby(m): 12:58pm On Apr 05, 2015
Miroslavklose:
Guys, i really need your help and advice, especially from the experienced folk.

My car is 2007 Accord 2.4l American spec.

Its a 2014 California imported to Nigeria.

Just started driving it in March from previous user.

I think the fuel economy is very very poor.

Car drives very very smooth. No single issue.

No single check light.

I scanned the car myself and checked everything with the best scanners. NO SINGLE FAULT anywhere.

The car is still in factory mode and no mechanic has touched or changed any setting put therein by Manufacturer. So its not about thermostat or any thing else

I've changed air filter
I've changed factory plugs with the original G power platinum plugs cost 4000 naira to buy

I'm supposed to be getting city drive 20-22 mpg
highway 25-26mpg but with my highway/city drive, I get 15mpg which people in Nigeria can say 4 miles per litre or 6.3 km per litre.

I do 18miles per day from home to office via 3rd Mainland bridge (9 miles from home and another 9miles from Island to home). see the outcome below

This Morning yesterday 2/4/2015, I refilled the tank

The gauge was at half tank

I checked the miles and it was exactly 148 Miles

I refilled the tank back with 35 litres on the fuel dispensing
metre

Last week, It was 138miles =35litres

This week in which there was very little traffic and i drove
alot of high ways like 8 miles non stop to Church and another
8 miles non stop from church, i achieved 148miles =35litres

This is still crazy.

I need your help before i go mad completely with the car.

Please suggest way out of this mess

Thanks
If your scan results are ok as you said, then you may have an issue with your ECU as your said consumption pattern is crazy.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by luvinhubby(m): 1:01pm On Apr 05, 2015
acadollar:
Pls is V4 Honda accord 2004 ( Baby boy) better than V6 ?
I am asking because i want to ship it to naija but my friend advised it may be hard to sell
2004 accord is not baby boy as baby boy stopped in 2002.
If it is EOD, both the I4 & V6 & are marketable in Nigeria but I4 only for baby boy.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by ukata16(m): 1:11pm On Apr 05, 2015
luvinhubby:

Plastic panel that covers your timming belt & also engraved on your engine block.
Thanks so much
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by OROSUNBOLB(m): 1:54pm On Apr 05, 2015
Op thanks for the beautiful job you're doing here. My Honda civic car (2006 model) is having this funny jerk that often occurs for one or two seconds while driving it. Please kindly explain what could be responsible for it and what to do to rectify it. Thank you.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by acadollar(m): 2:35pm On Apr 05, 2015
luvinhubby:

2004 accord is not baby boy as baby boy stopped in 2002.
Thanks but i mean EOD
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Miroslavklose: 6:46pm On Apr 05, 2015
luvinhubby:

If your scan results are ok as you said, then you may have an issue with your ECU as your said consumption pattern is crazy.

May God bless you.

Someone on one of the foreign forums suggested
1) Reprogramming of the ECU
2) Check that the callipers are not sticky. I.e jack the car up, put in neutral and turn the front two tires to see if they are free.

My question is this, whilst no 2 is easy to do, can option be done here in Nigeria?

Secondly when I had issues with the Airbag and the DRL, the normal on board diagnostic scanner couldn't read it, but the professional scanner read both issues and got both issues fixed. I'm thinking everything should be okay with the ECU. or what do you think sir?

many thanks once again
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:52am On Apr 06, 2015
OROSUNBOLB:
Op thanks for the beautiful job you're doing here. My Honda civic car (2006 model) is having this funny jerk that often occurs for one or two seconds while driving it. Please kindly explain what could be responsible for it and what to do to rectify it. Thank you.

Its a misfire scan, identify the cylinder that misfires and mark the coil so you don't mix them up also mark the injector just incase, check all plugs (replace if nessary) clear codes and use car if it happens again replace marked coil and service injectors.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:54am On Apr 06, 2015
acadollar:
Pls is V4 Honda accord 2004 ( EOD ) better than V6 ?

I4(nothing like V4 honda) is easier to sell in nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by OROSUNBOLB(m): 8:32am On Apr 06, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Its a misfire scan, identify the cylinder that misfires and mark the coil so you don't mix them up also mark the injector just incase, check all plugs (replace if nessary) clear codes and use car if it happens again replace marked coil and service injectors.

Thank you very much. I will try your suggestions.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by ukata16(m): 6:04pm On Apr 06, 2015
luvinhubby I'm very grateful for you help today. My car is now sounding like new. Got all my part from him and I don't regret going to him.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by inze(m): 8:22pm On Apr 06, 2015
Thanks for the assistance today luvinhubby, I really appreciate.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by luvinhubby(m): 8:43pm On Apr 06, 2015
inze:
Thanks for the assistance today luvinhubby, I really appreciate.
You are welcome.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by luvinhubby(m): 8:44pm On Apr 06, 2015
ukata16:
luvinhubby I'm very grateful for you help today. My car is now sounding like new. Got all my part from him and I don't regret going to him.
My pleasure any day.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by igbsam(m): 10:45pm On Apr 06, 2015
Hello guys,

I have an issue with my Honda 2003 Accord. While driving, the battery light comes on and will not go off until I put off the engine and then turn it on again before the battery indicator goes off. After driving for like 4-5 mins the battery comes on again. I took it to a rewire and he said the alternator is weak, i replaced the alternator and it still does this. I am yet to take it back to the rewire as i feel something is wrong......Please what could be the cause of this ?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:37am On Apr 07, 2015
igbsam:
Hello guys,

I have an issue with my Honda 2003 Accord. While driving, the battery light comes on and will not go off until I put off the engine and then turn it on again before the battery indicator goes off. After driving for like 4-5 mins the battery comes on again. I took it to a rewire and he said the alternator is weak, i replaced the alternator and it still does this. I am yet to take it back to the rewire as i feel something is wrong......Please what could be the cause of this ?

To rule out an alternator fault, buy a digital multimeter and when ever the battery light comes on test the chargin voltage I belive 13.5v~13.8v (d.c) should be within normal charging values. Cheap multimeter costs 500naira.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by 9icetoo(m): 9:15am On Apr 07, 2015
Miroslavklose:

May God bless you.

Someone on one of the foreign forums suggested
1) Reprogramming of the ECU
2) Check that the callipers are not sticky. I.e jack the car up, put in neutral and turn the front two tires to see if they are free.

My question is this, whilst no 2 is easy to do, can option be done here in Nigeria?

Secondly when I had issues with the Airbag and the DRL, the normal on board diagnostic scanner couldn't read it, but the professional scanner read both issues and got both issues fixed. I'm thinking everything should be okay with the ECU. or what do you think sir?

many thanks once again
I don't think anything is wrong with your ecu. Perform step number 2 first then check your alignment, check your tire pressures. Your driving style could also be a factor. If you step on the accelerator as if you are competing with Hamilton, your mpg will take a nosedive. Secondly, your car most likely needs high octane fuel and it isn't getting it here in naija so it robs you of a Lil mpg. Also 9 miles is a relatively short distance for a car to fully warm up and run on stoichiometric mixture which improves mpg unless that 9 miles takes a long time to cover. Idling especially in a city like lagos with endless stop and go traffic eats away at mpg more than any other factor. I think your ecu is okay. You are still getting decent mileage for someone staying in lagos. Take your car on a long trip (highway at least 60 miles) and see if your highway mpg is close to spec. If it is, then you are okay.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by igbsam(m): 12:56pm On Apr 07, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

To rule out an alternator fault, buy a digital multimeter and when ever the battery light comes on test the chargin voltage I belive 13.5v~13.8v (d.c) should be within normal charging values. Cheap multimeter costs 500naira.

Thank u sir. will get it.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Miroslavklose: 6:40pm On Apr 07, 2015
9icetoo:

I don't think anything is wrong with your ecu. Perform step number 2 first then check your alignment, check your tire pressures. Your driving style could also be a factor. If you step on the accelerator as if you are competing with Hamilton, your mpg will take a nosedive. Secondly, your car most likely needs high octane fuel and it isn't getting it here in naija so it robs you of a Lil mpg. Also 9 miles is a relatively short distance for a car to fully warm up and run on stoichiometric mixture which improves mpg unless that 9 miles takes a long time to cover. Idling especially in a city like lagos with endless stop and go traffic eats away at mpg more than any other factor. I think your ecu is okay. You are still getting decent mileage for someone staying in lagos. Take your car on a long trip (highway at least 60 miles) and see if your highway mpg is close to spec. If it is, then you are okay.

Thanks so much once too

I discovered that the caliper, I.e passenger front is sticky so I had it removed and oiled to see if there would be improvement. I'll have to check the alignment again.

All four tires are on 40 PSI that one set pass the recommended 32 PSI.

If after all these, the thing refuses to improve from current 15mpg to the normal 20mpg city drive, I'll rather live it like that than keep troubling myself.

After all, the car isn't giving me a single problem apart from the relatively poor MPG
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by adanny01(m): 7:56pm On Apr 07, 2015
igbsam:
Hello guys,

Scan scan scan!

During live scan and when the engine is idling, voltage must be around 14.2-14.3volts. If its more or less, you have a charging problem. You can remove the +ve terminal of the battery when engine is idling, if the engine cuts off, you have a problem, if not. You something else is amiss. However, is not good on your ECU to yank that battery terminal like that. Do that only if you cant get a scan. Disclaimer! Dont say i didnt tell you.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by igbsam(m): 10:05pm On Apr 07, 2015
adanny01:

Scan scan scan!

During live scan and when the engine is idling, voltage must be around 14.2-14.3volts. If its more or less, you have a charging problem. You can remove the +ve terminal of the battery when engine is idling, if the engine cuts off, you have a problem, if not. You something else is amiss. However, is not good on your ECU to yank that battery terminal like that. Do that only if you cant get a scan. Disclaimer! Dont say i didnt tell you.

Thank you so much for your reply. I did the yanking off of the +ve terminal of the battery to know if the alternator is charging and it didn't cut off. Engine was still running. I'll be taking the car for a scan tomorrow as i was not chanced to do that today. Someone told me the voltage charge from the alternator to the battery wasn't enough, i need to check the wire connecting the alternator to the battery to see if there's a bridge or weakness somewhere. But i'd scan the car before i take any further action.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:50pm On Apr 07, 2015
adanny01:

Scan scan scan!

I can taste fried engine Ecm.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by adanny01(m): 12:11am On Apr 08, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

I can taste fried engine Ecm.

Trust me, its risky but it never happens always, hence the disclaimer. I ve seen more than yanking of the terminal and ECU lives to tell the abuse. You must'nt remind me the obvious, its there already.

See, he did it, and nothing happened.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:28am On Apr 08, 2015
adanny01:

Trust me, its risky but it never happens always, hence the disclaimer. I ve seen more than yanking of the terminal and ECU lives to tell the abuse. You must'nt remind me the obvious, its there already.

See, he did it, and nothing happened.

At 10-11v engine will still run, does not mean alternator ok.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by adanny01(m): 7:31am On Apr 08, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

At 10-11v engine will still run, does not mean alternator ok.

So what do you imply?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Nobody: 11:58am On Apr 08, 2015
Where driving my baby boy 1999,I notice that when I get to the level of gear 3,the car fails to move fore a while then it suddenly picks up and same thing happens when I want to over take,it like the gear returns and suddenly picks but does not move.please what is the solution?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by eginaP: 9:29pm On Apr 08, 2015
I have a budget of N650,000. Is it possible to get a good Nigeria used EOD. "Tokunbo will be appreciated too"

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (434) (Reply)

Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.